Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct. The whole "let's get rid of player X because the fans might......" crap, is just that. Do the fans run the show? Hell no.

If Weeden is HALF the qb many people on here have claimed him to be, we're all set.

Announced yet or un-announced - Weeden is the starter. ONLY way ANY backup should play this year (mccoy OR wallace), is if Weeden is hurt and can't play.

Apparently some people are thin skinned all of a sudden on Weeden's ability - which is laughable. Or, perhaps they just don't understand.

Weeden is the starter, and for all season - barring an injury of course.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Are you guys actually arguing McCoy is better than Wallace?

Because that is highly debateable.

Bottom line on the two....flip a coin.

Who really cares who the backup is when the season starts?

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
I agree that right now between the two it's a coin flip, both were bad last year... but personally I think McCoy has more upside being younger and possibly having some value for trade down the line.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think it goes deeper than just "whos better". Right at this moment, what exactly has Wallace shown you that makes you think he's got any shot at getting better than what he is..'

Wallace is what he is.. he's done growing.

Colt may not be any better than Wallace at this point, but at 24, he's not close to a finished product.

he's also cheaper by a wide margin (not that I think that will play a huge role, if they think that Wallace is that much better, the money won't play a part in keeping him)

Personally, given our history of having starting then backup QB's go down with injury, I'm not sure it's a dumb idea to keep all three of them. but that's a discussion for another day.

As for the fans chanting for McCoy or Wallace at the first sign of trouble with Weeden,, that's about the weakest argument on the planet..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

it's my opinion the better player is McCoy.. And I think the team will think that also given that he beat out Wallace as the starter last year.

He didn't. He was named the starter for the next season after his rookie year. There was no QB competition last year. Colt didn't progress despite playing 13 games last year.

C
1st String
1st String
C
there's tons more film on wallace. unlike mccoy, wallace has some good film. he has stepped in quite well for hasselbeck many, many times in seattle. so to answer your first question.....wallace has shown he can be an effective backup that can win a game or 2. that you do not want to see that does not make it false. what has colt shown you to think he'll get better? is it the laser velocity, superb 10 yard accuracy, beautiful long ball, pre-snap judgements?

stats-wise, colt and wallace are in exactly the same realm. similar W-L, similar passing stats, etc. so the rest of the argument is subjective.

you say colts not a finished prodcut? how so? this could be as good as he is....fact is, your simply projecting because he's younger. as a backup QB, age to me is a benefit...ie, wallace is much more mentally prepared than colt, who still thinks he's a starting caliber QB. his decision making and reads are a slow as molasses....even marginal improvement there still means he's unequiped at best. so yeah, i guess he does have more upside. simple reality is that not all player reach their potential, and colt has come nowhere close to his. probably means he's just a good college QB who couldn't get it int he pros.

cheaper? who cares.....no one would pay colt 1 mil let alone 2.....are we in cap trouble? no? OK then....lame excuse just as youve accused others.

colt has never...ever, in his entire life, been a backup to anyone. yet, some seem to think....illogically....that he'd be better at it than a guy who has been a backup for 10 years. great assumption!

thus far, ive seen no articles about colt's willingness to mentor weeden. isn't that a strike against colt? interesting that he finds himself in almost the same position seneca was in last year.....player with experience loses out on starting job for newly drafted fan favorite. irony at it finest...yet wallace is still vilified. lol....

the chants for colt are real. do you miss the fun of the queen vs. horseballs that youll willingly welcome it becausew its a weak argument? its only as weak as the supportive arguments for colt. he looked just like frye, the queen, dorsey....all noodle arms that can't compete with the big boys. but thats just what the games showed me.....a 4 win team without a QB.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

McCoy younger, more upside, cheaper.

Wallace older, never going to get any better, and more expensive.

If we were talking about any position but QB most people would be screaming to cut the vet. In this case I am one of the lone wolves who think McCoy shouldn't be going anywhere.

McCoy is younger and cheaper, and at one point I might have agreed that he has more upside ..... but I simply don't believe that anymore.

I see McCoy as being what he is ...... which is a guy who is comfortable throwing to a spot only, as opposed to throwing to a receiver. However, he is only comfortable throwing to that spot if the receiver is standing still and wide open.

To me that doesn't imply upside anywhere.

At least Wallace can make that occasional play where he's flushed from the pocket, and finds a receiver, makes a perfect throw, in stride, for a long TD.

I'm not that concerned about the money, because frankly, 1) we're so far under the cap that the money aspect is meaningless, 2) a couple of million dollars is a pittance when a $120 million total cap is brought into consideration, and 3) I don't pay anyone's salary directly.

The team should keep whichever guy they feel fits into that backup role, and whichever guy they feel can win a game in an emergency, and with little preparation time. Money and age don't matter at all in that aspect of things.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

What I am saying is that the first time Weeden makes a horrendous play (and it will happen - he's 28 but he's still human and he's still a rookie) the shouts will go up for *the backup QB*. If BW has a couple of bad games the clamor for *the backup QB* will be deafening.

Fixed.

IF there was this huge outcry for McCoy right now that situation would exist. There isn't, and thus it doesn't.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
McCoy has had some nice games as a Brown. The New England game and the Jets game come to mind immediately. What is the m.o. on Colt? He's a game manager who will avoid mistakes, sometimes to our detriment, and keep the Browns in games if we run the ball reasonably well and play reasonably good defense.

Isn't that what you want in a #2 QB?

He's younger and cheaper and appears to have a good attitude even with getting dealt less than an ideal hand.

I say we stick with him because odds are he's going to be starting games for us. A backup has started at least one game every year since 1999 (except once).

I would rather see Colt playing than Wallace playing and that's the bottom line.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What I am saying is that the first time Weeden makes a horrendous play (and it will happen - he's 28 but he's still human and he's still a rookie) the shouts will go up for *the backup QB*. If BW has a couple of bad games the clamor for *the backup QB* will be deafening.

Fixed.

IF there was this huge outcry for McCoy right now that situation would exist. There isn't, and thus it doesn't.

That is just so darn true. I don't see a groundswell of folks saying,, Colt should start over Weeden. In fact, I hear more that unless Weeden totally sucks, he should start. I'm all for letting them duke it out and may the winner take all.. I'm damn fine with that.

But whoever is picked to start, you gotta give them a chance to succeed.. you can't throw either of them out there and if they have a bad game, kick them to the curb.

What I don't want to see is the Yo Yo effect. pull one out, put one in....

At some point, you gotta make a committment.. Make it, stick to it and let the kid (whoever it is) grow and mature.

As for fans yelling

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Isn't that what you want in a #2 QB?

What I want in a #2 is:

1 - A guy who can come in off the bench with little or no prep time during the week. Wallace has shown that he can do this. Actually better than when he has a full week of prep. Can McCoy? I don't think we know.

2 - A guy who can help get the #1 ready. Can Wallace do this? Yes. Will he? Well that is another question. Can McCoy? I don't think we know one way or the other.

3 - A good bargain - Someone to do both of the above at as little cost as possible. If the above two criteria
is equal then advantage Mccoy.

Noticeably absent is the ability to come in and be a starter. If a team needs a backup Qb to come in and play more than 3-4 games (which teams hope to come out of with 2-2 record using their backup) then they are in trouble.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
And that opinion is the one that I believe is prevalent amongst the majority of Browns fans. With that being the case, he isn't the kind of player that many will start banging the drums for if a rookie 1st round pick struggles out of the gate.

If McCoy were this gifted, former 1st round pick the situation would be different, but the fact remains that McCoy is a physically limited former 3rd round pick who got a shot and didn't impress. He looks like a great #2 QB, but not a guy that fans are going to demand he be given another shot.

Weeden is going to get his fair shot, which is at least a full season and probably longer. Realistic fans know this. The only one's clamoring for McCoy are the same one's who wouldn't let go of players named Quinn, Frye, Couch, etc etc, and those fans aren't going to move the meter.

If we keep McCoy he won't be a disruption, only an asset. However, if we move him, we aren't losing anything with Wallace as the backup.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
B
Legend
Legend
B
This is still being debated??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes,, amazing isn't it,. it's not even something any of us decide to begin with LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Tim Couch...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Nobody debates that anymore. Some had it right, Some didn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In the end it really doesn't matter what any of US think.

But I'll be very surprised if Colt is on the team come opening day.

I also think that we should all get together on opening day, share a cigar and a beer and cheer the Browns' victory against the Freakin' Iggles.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ain't nobody sharing my cigar or my beer. I'm a snob in both categories.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

McCoy younger, more upside, cheaper.

Wallace older, never going to get any better, and more expensive.

And in a perfect world you would be right. But that world does not exist. At least not in Cleveland.

You are right in saying that Colt has more upside. Although after last year I'm not sure it's as much as guys like Arch seem to think.

And Wallace is definitely older. He probably won't get any better but then if you say Colt would benefit with better players around him the same must be said of Seneca. His salary really doesn't factor in because the Browns are way under the cap.

I'm not saying Colt should go because he's terrible. He's not. I'm not saying he'll be disruptive. I don't think that for a moment.

What I am saying is that the first time Weeden makes a horrendous play (and it will happen - he's 28 but he's still human and he's still a rookie) the shouts will go up for Colt. If BW has a couple of bad games the clamor for McCoy will be deafening. And I'm not talking about the media. I'm talking about fans.

And while I don't think the coaching staff and front office will let the fans dictate what they do I do think it will be very distracting to the players. A distraction that this very young team does not need.

What we would lose by trading Colt would be more than offset by the calm that would be induced by the lack of "noise" during the season.

Look, I like Colt. Hell, before last season I went out and got his jersey. But after watching him and trying to excuse some of his obvious flaws during the season I've come to the conclusion that he's not the "one". Or the "two"

I wish he was.

Go with Weeden from Day One and don't look back. A year from now we'll be glad we did. JMHO

Oh I agree that some idiots in the media and in the stands could be yelling, but I also think it's time for the front office to take a stand and say we are doing whats best for the team, not how do we please the idiots, because they can't be pleased. The front office has to do whats best for the team if we are ever going to succeed on the field.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Bro if you have to flip a coin why would you keep a older more expensive player on the roster? and I care who the backup is because I have seen way to many starters injured in my lifetime.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The team should keep whichever guy they feel fits into that backup role, and whichever guy they feel can win a game in an emergency, and with little preparation time. Money and age don't matter at all in that aspect of things.

Here is where we disagree old friend The backup also needs to be ready to start the rest of the season if the starter goes down in game 1, 2, 5, 10, or 15. Hell if it was up to me I think the Browns should keep both Colt, and Wallace this season, and I hope they do.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Oh I agree that some idiots in the media and in the stands could be yelling, but I also think it's time for the front office to take a stand and say we are doing whats best for the team, not how do we please the idiots, because they can't be pleased. The front office has to do whats best for the team if we are ever going to succeed on the field.

It does matter what is going on in the stands.

It got to the point with this team we had the fans happy the starter got hurt so we could bring in the back-up. Players aren't impervious to what is happening to the fans attitudes, and that has to impact the way they play.

I agree with the idea we should do what makes the team better. We just disagree on what action will do just that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It does matter what is going on in the stands.

It got to the point with this team we had the fans happy the starter got hurt so we could bring in the back-up. Players aren't impervious to what is happening to the fans attitudes, and that has to impact the way they play.

I agree with the idea we should do what makes the team better. We just disagree on what action will do just that.

I doesn't matter,, not even a little. When what you are talking about the best guy for the job.

hey, if they decide it's Wallace, I won't' understand it, but will accept they saw something that made it a better fit. But I sure as hell hope it's not done to satisfy fans...

That my friend would be a huge mistake.. you keep the best guys..

And like GM, I've got no problem at all with keeping all three of them then putting Lewis on the PS (if allowed). with the luck we've had at QB in the last 12 years, I'd like to be sure we have someone that could start...

Last edited by Damanshot; 07/07/12 07:23 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Toad...you mention "the fans" several times in this post, as if the opinion of the fan figures into the decision about McCoy's future with the Browns.

Do you really believe this front office bases their personnel decisions on the opinion of the fans?

I have no idea whether the front office keeps McCoy or Wallace or both...and I don't care what is decided because I trust the judgement of those running the franchise. I believe most fans feel as I do and regardless of what is decided, fan opinion will have nothing to do with the choice.

This front office does not have their finger in the wind, trying to determine the drift of fan opinion.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Here is where we disagree old friend The backup also needs to be ready to start the rest of the season if the starter goes down in game 1, 2, 5, 10, or 15. Hell if it was up to me I think the Browns should keep both Colt, and Wallace this season, and I hope they do.

See, I don't think that this mythical player is either McCoy or Wallace.

McCoy proved that he's not the guy last year. He has major, structural flaws in his game.

Wallace isn't the guy either. He can keep us in games, but like McCoy, is not a playmaker who will help the team win games.

They are what they are. Either guy is capable of "starting games". Each has done so in their time in Cleveland.

Most teams hope that their backup QB can keep them around .500 while the starter heals from an injury. That's what the kid in Houston did last year. He managed their games, made a play or 2, and kept them around .500 in games he started. That's really about all you can ask of your backup. They are backups for a reason.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
McCoy didn't prove anything other then he can't play without a running game, right side of the line and receivers that drop balls and no preseason and a new system and coach..

That's all that he proved last season..

Wallace didn't prove anything either and it could just be for the very same reasons as McCoy.

Weeden hasn't proven anything either other than in College he showed he had a cannon and good receivers and was accurate.

If those things happen in Cleveland for Weeden, then we have a winner.

if not, we're exactly where we are right now next season.

Last edited by Damanshot; 07/07/12 11:08 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Toad...you mention "the fans" several times in this post, as if the opinion of the fan figures into the decision about McCoy's future with the Browns.

Do you really believe this front office bases their personnel decisions on the opinion of the fans?

Mac, you missed. I said nothing of the sort.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I have to disagree with the "needs to be ready to start the rest of the season" thing.
I mean, sure, what you say is a 100% true worst-case scenario in that it might be needed, but I think that actually planning for that is kind of a fringe thing.
I don't know if it was in this thread or another, but I think it was a Pluto article that said you want a guy that, should he have to step in for a four game stretch, he'll give you a good shot at going 2-2.... and THAT is what I'd most have to agree with with. Why? Because when a starting QB gets injured and has to miss some time, what is the likely average amount of time that he'll miss? I'd venture a guess that it's pretty close to 4 weeks.

As for which of our two guys can fit that criteria? Damned if I know, but I personally (currently) feel more comfortable with Colt being that guy. Camp & Preseason may change that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
How can you type with a broken...whatever.

I know I look like a flip-flopper on the surface to some, as I dislike McCoy in some instances yet seem to defend him in others, but that's all about context. I'm going to swing here to defend Wallace based on what you just said.

Last year McCoy got all the starters reps all year. Wallace only got them when he was thrust into the starters role. Now flip-flop those roles and try to predict what we'd see? Which guy would be better?

I tend to think that Wallace is more capable of coming in cold and being a viable starter. McCoy is still trying to learn a difficult offensive scheme, one that Wallace has studied nearly ten years. Wallace has the edge in experience, not only in the league but in game action, but also has superior tools. Both guys can scramble around, but there isn't really a debate on arm-strength, as Wallace has the bigger gun. In terms of career numbers, Wallace has an 81 rating to McCoy's 74. And though it seems tough on the surface to say this, McCoy may still not be emotionally ready to come in yet, where-as Wallace is older and more mentally mature.

There's one more thing that I will say which may rile some folks up. I'm only reading the tea-leaves here but I feel confident in my track record of that over the years. I think if you were to privately ask the players which guy they'd rather have come in as a pinch-hitter, more would say Wallace than McCoy. I think they respect the Hell out of McCoy, probably more-so than Wallace, but that doesn't pay the bills, so to speak. When the game is on the line, I bet more would say they'd rather have Wallace out there.

There are several ways to debate McCoy right now. If you're going on upside and financial sense, it's McCoy. If you're going on pure experience and who gives the team the best shot to win if Weeden goes down, I think it's Wallace.

McCoy hardly seemed ready on game-day in spite of the fact he was given all the reps every week. That doesn't give me confidence that he can come in off the bench and perform when another guy has been given all the reps all week.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like Colt and think he got screwed here but I won't be calling for him if Weeden doesn,t come out gangbusters. He( Weeden ) is our QB now and we should all keep our mouths shut until he gets a fair shot.

Colt was throwing to Robo and Momass, Little= lots of drops. Lots of stupid penaltys. Lots of drives stopped. So we got on him about accuracy andpoints per game. Seems like we have had 15 or 20 QBs since Couch. They can,t all have been bad. We ( the fans ) have either run them out of town or the Browns ruined them. Remember Weeden is working with the same WRs and a rookie RT.

Last edited by Dawg Duty; 07/07/12 12:37 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I like Colt and think he got screwed here but I won't be calling for him if Weeden doesn,t come out gangbusters. He( Weeden ) is our QB now and we should all keep our mouths shut until he gets a fair shot.

Colt was throwing to Robo and Momass, Little= lots of drops. Lots of stupid penaltys. Lots of drives stopped. So we got on him about accuracy andpoints per game. Seems like we have had 15 or 20 QBs since Couch. They can,t all have been bad. We ( the fans ) have either run them out of town or the Browns ruined them. Remember Weeden is working with the same WRs and a rookie RT.

and a stud rookie RB and a new OC and an off season to prepare.. he better to better than Colt....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
I see what you are saying, but with sentences like
(Toad) " Not a guy fans are going to ''''' demand ''''' be given another shot, "
and , " move the meter" given in respponse to Heldawg's post which included

( Hel) " Colts a game manager, " " younger, cheaper, good attitude, " " should stick with colt cause we'll need a backup"
" Rather Colt than Wallace bottom line"

( Me) With Sentences like that, given in that context, I think Toad is trying to express that the fans who will be Calling for Colt to come in, wont be the prevailing opinion amoung the fan outcry, but will be a minority opinion.

So not that the " TEAM, or Coaches" would have their meter moved, but prevailing opinion amongst fans would have it's meter moved, so what might look like he's saying the team is listening to the fans, isn't really what he's trying to say.

( aww, expletive, let's take a look at that sierra.) (Buscemi)

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

If McCoy is moved and Weeden struggles, the noise for inserting Wallace would be just the same as McCoy.

Do you actually believe that? You think people WANT Wallace out there?

If Wallace is the backup, everyone knows we're going with Weeden no matter what barring injury, he's not ganna get pulled, he's going to take whatever lumps he gets.

If McCoy's here, every incomplete pass, the camera pans to Colt sitting on the sidelines, every interception the "We Want Colt" crew grows louder and louder...

If you think Wallace and Colt have basically the same abilities, yeah sure, but to say them being behind Weeden MEANS the same thing? Hardly.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just clicking. I hope this thread is a good sign. It appears to be at least.

We've spent countless years on this board - well at least ten - frivolously arguing over which dolt QB we need to start.

Now we're at least frivolously arguing over which dolt QB to be second string.

I'll take it!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We've spent countless years on this board - well at least ten - frivolously arguing over which dolt QB we need to start.

I'll take it!

LOL Funny how sometimes the truth is so obvious we don't even see it..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I'll take it!

LOL Funny how sometimes the truth is so obvious we don't even see it..

Yeah, I had the same observation.

But hey! ... We need something to debate around here, even if there is no real debate at all.

Just look at some of the facts.

Wallace with all of his years of experience in this offense and with a stronger arm had no better success with the same group of players to work with last season as did Colt McCoy who was also trying to learn the system.

Personally I think that Weeden will sweep any doubt that some fans might have as to whom should be our starting QB, very early on.

I don't see the majority of fans chanting for Colt McCoy to come in and replace him. It's a plausible "what if", but imo not very likely to come to that.

[Linked Image]

A
Legend
Legend
A
Contrary to what crazy thinks about me - I don't see ANY fan saying colt should start. I don't see ANY fan just waiting in the wings for Weeden to fail so colt will play.

I see Weeden as the starter - all year, good or bad. If he's injured and can't play - well, we need a backup.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Actually, though, Wallace didn't have the same players to work with. He was missing Watson and Smith for at least 2 of his starts, along with Norwood. I would think that would make a difference.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually, though, Wallace didn't have the same players to work with. He was missing Watson and Smith for at least 2 of his starts, along with Norwood. I would think that would make a difference.

he had the same line and the same receivers and the same running backs that Colt had with the exception of Norwood, watson and smith.

And he had no better luck

But, no sense in discussing it with you, it's all colts fault......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll take it!

True - and hopefully we won't be having to debate who the starter should be for a few years....

<><

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum FoxSports: Browns QB Position Analysis

Link Copied to Clipboard