Page 1 of 2 1 2
#721706 09/13/12 02:04 PM
P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
There were a few other wrinkles in this one (trading with the Chiefs and Vikings later down the line), but essentially we traded Julio Jones for Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic and Brandon Weeden.

The 4th we received this year was used in the Richardson trade. We used our original 4th on Travis Benjamin.

Discuss.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Too early to tell if it was worth it IMO.

Legend
Legend
in all honesty, I'll take Jones over all of those guys.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
100% dependent on how Weeden turns out.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Still too early to tell but still a trade I'd make any day...

Taylor already was an AVG to above AVG DT his rookie season...if he develops into a GOOD DT it was already a wash, since a GOOD DT > GOOD WR...considering his position and the developmental time it normally takes his play was phenomenal....real bummer to lose him for this season (even if he comes back, I consider it somewhat a wasted season)

Little...well, I screamed for Cobb....we needed a WR body for the outside though, so I understood back then....boom/bust pick back then and it still is...still can go either way, he HAS flashed and disappointed...he hasn't Roddy White across from him though, and no Tony Gonzo too

Marecic...well, I still had some hope for him but sometimes those tough overachiever guys GMs and coaches fall in love with just don't translate....looks like a busted pick...late in the 4th it happens to a lot of GMs

Weeden...1 game...and I just want the "not to lose" armchair GMs to remember that DeCastro looked like dog crap before his IR injury and couldn't even crack the RG job vs a former UDFA...same with M.Adams who's rotting on the bench despite PIT having no OL...so 90% who bashed the Weeden pick back then: go take a looong look in the mirror first....would you lable those other rooks bust too?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Hm.

Julio Jones looks to be on his way to being a top 5 WR.

After last year I thought Greg Little was going to be the key to the trade, as I thought he could be an acceptable replacement, I'm starting to wonder about him.

Phil is a beast, hopefully he doesn't get bit by the injury bug anymore.

I don't think I've ever hated a Browns player that's never REALLy done anything "wrong" as much as Marecic...

If Weeden takes us to the playoffs and plays well, I think the Trade is a win.

I think 4 players for 1 is always a win.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don't think Jones make a difference on our team at all last season.

This season? Depends on if Weeden learns to hit the broadside of a barn.

Legend
Legend
I just hated having to give up a 3rd to move up to get Phil.

Sometimes it SEEMS TO ME that Heckert falls in love with a specific guy, and "panics" at the idea of not getting them...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Ask me again in December, and then again in December 2013.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
well, if Colt didn't throw deep well enough and Julio's best asset is getting open deep, then how much would he have really helped?

also, good chance we take a DL there anyway (or trade down for one - not as far though).

Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, Nick Fairley, and Robert Quinn were the next DL off the board. Not sure which we would have taken.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As Django put it, and quite correctly at that, is that a good DT> good WR. So if Phil turns into our solid D line paired with Rubin for years and years to come, then it was worth it

plus with Jones in OUR offense, would he look that good? lol

no roddy white, no matt ryan, no gonzo

Legend
Legend
Quote:

There were a few other wrinkles in this one (trading with the Chiefs and Vikings later down the line), but essentially we traded Julio Jones for Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic and Brandon Weeden.

The 4th we received this year was used in the Richardson trade. We used our original 4th on Travis Benjamin.

Discuss.

I would guess that most of us think that Taylor was a solid pick.. Little could still turn out good, Marecic was a waste and it's way to early to tell on Weeden and Benjamin.

If Taylor and Weeden are the ones that turn out to be solid, then it was probably worth it, if Little turns out good and Benjamin turns out decent. it was worth it.

So beyond that, not sure what else to say.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lets not go overboard on Julio just yet. He lit up a Romeo Crennel defense last week. Seriously, thats like a division 2 defense that he is sporting in KC right now. Also he is not the guy defenses are designing to beat. Roddy White gets the coverage, Tony Gonzales still draws a lot of attention in the middle.

could julio do that here where he would be the guy everyone is trying to stop? I dont think so.

Now Phil out right now doesnt help my case but man I cant wait until we have that 3 man rotation working with Big PHil, Rubin and Winn. That is a tight interior.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that both teams will consider the trade a win, win situation and both teams meet their needs with the trade. (not that Jones would not have also met a need for us).

We simply had more needs and I said before the Draft, that making the switch in the defencive system, that it was imperative that we came away with both a DT and a DE with our first two picks/rounds.

The trade accomplished this for us and also added a WR, QB and in part our RB.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 09/13/12 04:14 PM.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Lets not go overboard on Julio just yet. He lit up a Romeo Crennel defense last week. Seriously, thats like a division 2 defense that he is sporting in KC right now.

that was missing their best CB, starting S, probowl DE, and a couple other rotational players.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
not to mention that it is just ONE WEEK

Same as with our QB..... ONE WEEK doesn't define you. There is a LOT of football left before any questions can be answered.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
For most of them, it's been 17 weeks.

I don't think any definitive conclusions can be made, but I think there's enough tape to form some opinions.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems most disagree with you and that the jury is still out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
I agree with this sentiment... Weeden is the x-factor to grading this trade. IMO Taylor and Little are integral to the core were trying to build here, as is Weeden but the success of the team mostly falls on the success of Weeden.

Quote:

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I agree with this sentiment... Weeden is the x-factor to grading this trade. IMO Taylor and Little are integral to the core were trying to build here, as is Weeden but the success of the team mostly falls on the success of Weeden.

Quote:

While that may be true, and I know Im going to get slammed for saying this the Weeden pick is like a free pass. Taylor and Little make up for Jones by themselves.
If Weeden busts out we have lost time yes but the pick was to me a free chance to pick a posible franchise QB. One we would have had to probably trade up to get or not gotten at all. JJ would never put up the numbers here he is there IMHO. So he would be probably be considered a bust by alot of people already.

If Weeden grades out we win hands down if Weeden flames out I still think we did good.
Someone else said it was a win win for both teams.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Quote:

GOOD DT > GOOD WR

I think in the end, it's going to be a question of good DT vs. elite WR.

I like the trade itself, but I'm wary of how we used the capital we gained from it.

I know, I know ... it's too early to tell, but as far as predictions...

I think Taylor will be a good-to-solid DT for us. I wasn't happy burning a third to get him, but if he pans out, I don't think I'll care all that much.

Little is a bit of a wild card. I can see him developing into a decent-to-good #2, and I can see his hands causing him to shuffle around the league as a mediocre #2 who can be a liability.

Marecic will be a bust. I doubt he's in the league within the next two years.

I fully expect Weeden to be a bust. Thought so way before Sunday. I could certainly be wrong there, and he should have a season or three to prove me wrong.

I think Jones will be an elite WR.

I think he would've helped us immensely last year. No, he doesn't puts up the same numbers with us, but he's a good YAC guy on top of his deep threat ability. If we stay committed to the WCO, he would've been a perfect fit, and easily the best WR since our return.

I'm not complaining about the trade. I thought it was the right move at the time, and I still probably make it in hindsight ... it was what our team needed ... but I think in the end, we'll be underwhelmed with the return.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Can;t decide if you are just ignorant or a Troll.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
in my mind the real question going forward is what Gordon turns out to be. If he can become anywhere near what JJ becomes I think that also has to be taken into the equation because as you said and I agree he wouldnt have helped us last year and perhaps this year because speculating we dont get Weeden this year.

I cant really speculate on Little he does drop way to many balls for my liking. We had a guy like that we drafted 3rd overall and hes still dropping key balls. At least this time it was a 2nd round pick we are talking about if anything good can be taken from that.

Why do our recievers always hate the Juggs machines.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
Wow.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I rarely agree with Phil, but I don't see any trolling or ignorance in this thread.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Why don't you share your opinion on this topic?

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

I rarely agree with Phil, but I don't see any trolling or ignorance in this thread.

yeah that one really took me by suprise. Its why I ignored it. I found the topic and subject matter sensible, entertaining, and engaging logical thinking. Guess Im a troll too. :shrug:

Last edited by NickBrownsFan; 09/13/12 04:47 PM.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

way off base there guy...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm still irritated they let Jones slip by them. He's the real deal. Has been since his soph season at AL.

They still could have picked up TR this year. Could have had Weeden in the 2nd round.

So that leaves out Phil Taylor and Mitchell Schwartz and they probably don't draft Little. So far, Huhges and Wynn have shown to be decent and are not THAT far of a drop off from PT. Schwartz has struggled a bit but if we picked up a RT in a later round, I highly doubt he'd be THAT much of a drop off from MSchwartz. Essentially, those are all a borderline wash.

So the real question is...
Is Julio Jones THAT much better than Little or Gordon? Yes, yes he is on his worst day.

We passed on a big time play maker for 2 run of the mill trench guys.

Maybe PT and MS will turn out to be studs. Julio is already a stud. So far, we have lost that trade.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
the truth is,the players the Browns drafted in exchange for Julio Jones have had very little impact on the Browns.
since 2007,the Browns are still searching for that game changer at WR.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

way off base there guy...

I agree. Do you even know what a Troll is in net-speak, Dawg Duty?

Or do you actually think he might really live under a bridge and turn to stone in daylight?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Bingo! If Weeden and Taylor work out long term, then it was worth it. If we only get Taylor out of it, then we got duped. Hindsight is always 20/20, however.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

the truth is,the players the Browns drafted in exchange for Julio Jones have had very little impact on the Browns.
since 2007,the Browns are still searching for that game changer at WR.

?? our starting DT who played well (did taper off the last month) and starting WR that led our WR corps (did have some drops) didn't have an impact? and now are starting QB?

and, again, there is no guarantee we draft Julio there. we were switching from the 3-4 to 4-3 and had no DL to do it. we likely go DL there (and probably Fairley who has been hurt much of his NFL career)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Could have gotten Weeded in the Third Round !

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I don't think I've ever hated a Browns player that's never REALLy done anything "wrong" as much as Marecic...

You know im glad to hear somebody else say it. I cant see him doing ANYTHING. But he's not bad....just...nothing.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Could have had Weeden in the 2nd round.

You don't know that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Whose throwing to him??

So Weeden had a horrible first game... still too early to write the book on him.

Little I think will be our #2 receiver by the end of the year. He had a good first year and hopefully will improve this year

TR has potential to be a fantastic back for years to come...if we can get someone to block for him.

Mareick I can do without

in the long run I still do the trade... too many holes to fill... Jones is a great athlete but he doesn't fix this team... If Green was there I think we would have taken Green... but Jones didn't (and doesn't) seem like the can't miss HOFer type talent that Green is...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Whose throwing to him??

Take Phil and little off of last year's team and add Jones and it might be Griffin .

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I vote neither. I find PDR to be one of the sharper tools in the shed.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

yeah that one really took me by suprise. Its why I ignored it. I found the topic and subject matter sensible, entertaining, and engaging logical thinking. Guess Im a troll too. :shrug:

Get back under your bridge.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Julio Jones Trade

Link Copied to Clipboard