Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Legend
Legend
J

Legend
Legend
OMG Not the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Despite hurricane Sandy, the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier remain.

Soldiers of the 3rd Inf Reg. continue to stand guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, despite adverse weather conditions. The tomb has been guarded continuously since April 6, 1948. (Photo courtesy of Karin Markert)

While that is a great picture, it isnt from Sandy. It is a little older then that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What national emergency???

It's just a little wind and rain, and if you look at the water in the picture, you'll notice that it isn't even bad out.

The national emergency that has killed 16 people... if you look at the graphic it says wind of 90 mph... that's what toppled the crane and it was the flooding that caused the face of a building to be sheared off and caused water to be flowing into the Ground Zero construction site like a waterfall. Yes, these people are idiots...

yebat' Putin
J
Legend
Legend
J
Seven million without power and they are estimating a possible 20 billion dollars worth of damage.

Legend
Legend
I tend to agree with you. I don't think you have to go running for the hills every time it rains or plunder the grocery store for milk and break when 3" of snow is coming... but to go jogging down along the water in the middle of this? That just reeks of some combination of ignorance and arrogance... and these people are the ones who get killed or get others killed trying to save them.

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
A lot of my friends and family in Erie are talking about flooded cars and basements already. My sister who lives in NYC I havent heard from since yesterday afternoon. I'm sure she is fine, but this storm is a big deal.

F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
JC.

As somenoe who lives in a hurricane prone state, seeing people running is not surprising. Aside from a small window of time during the worst of a major storm, most people go about their lives as they do during a heavy thunderstorm. They say 90 MPH winds, but that is the storm eye wall reading, the farther you get out from there, the lesser the constant winds are, gusts can still be extreme, but there are often large windows of calm in the outer bands.

During Andrew in 92?!? I spent most of it outside watching the clouds swirl, it was one of the few storms where we were close enough to the center to be able to see the circle chape of the cloud formation and the rotation. I even had a picture of me leaning forward into the wind at like a 45 deg angle and the wind holding me up.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah, one of my favorite things used to be to head to the beach on the tail end of the storm. I also remember sleeping outside because it was so darn hot in the house after the storm while we waited for power to come back on. The worst was when we were without power for two weeks.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

and caused water to be flowing into the Ground Zero construction site like a waterfall. Yes, these people are idiots...

Yeah, I saw the pictures of that ... I was wondering how the heck that is STILL a below sea-level construction site?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Notice the idiots out for a nice jog in the middle of a national emergency.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Downplaying it to that extent you sound as silly as the people over hyping.

Who's downplaying it?
Look at the picture... it wasn't that bad when this was taken. If it was, there wouldn't be two guys out for a jog that look like they aren't working too hard. The water wouldn't be so low and looking as calm as it is.

See... it wasn't bad at all!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
New York and New Jersey got hit worse than the east coast. We had solid cold rain, in VA and consistent strong winds for days. It wasn't that bad, but if it had lingered much longer, flooding would of gotten real bad.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
Quote:

New York and New Jersey got hit worse than the east coast. , in VA and consistent strong winds for days.

...and Cleveland got hit worse than the north coast.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

New York and New Jersey got hit worse than the east coast. , in VA and consistent strong winds for days.

I noticed that too. I'm assuming he meant the mid-Atlantic region of the east coast like the Carolinas up to Delaware... the region that usually gets hit by hurricanes.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had a snowy slushy on my windshield this am. I'm now properly motivated to weatherstrip the front door and the windows this weekend.

Already tested the furnace.. pilot light is lit and furnace fired right up. Trip to ACE tmr to pick up a coupla filters for furnace.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Despite hurricane Sandy, the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier remain.

Soldiers of the 3rd Inf Reg. continue to stand guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, despite adverse weather conditions. The tomb has been guarded continuously since April 6, 1948. (Photo courtesy of Karin Markert)

While that is a great picture, it isnt from Sandy. It is a little older then that.

The point stands however..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
We first visited (Charelston) South Carolina when Hurricane Irene hit... my mother-in-law was so worried.. and she continued to worry when we moved down here. It's odd. Even after Irene, if we had told folks we were moving to NY/NJ/RI etc. nobody would've said. "Watch out for hurricanes!" Plenty said it about SC. Now, I know this area obviously gets more than it's share. But so far the past two major hurricanes to hit the US have hit the NE much worse than here.

Plus, at least with hurricanes you usually get days or even weeks worth of notice! Back home in Ohio, we had tornadoes hit within a couple miles of our home almost every year, along with devastating blizzards/ice storms, and that big "derecho" storm last summer. And you get MUCH less warning from those! Praying for those up North!

J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

Who's downplaying it?

Since you said, "What national emergency?", I thought you were talking about the hurricane/storm when you said a little wind and rain. I'm not the only one who took it that way, but maybe you were talking at that exact moment in the picture.

Legend
Legend
Oh, I was definitely talking about that moment in the picture, but I also don't view it as a "national emergency". It's a storm. Granted, it's a really big one, but it's just a storm.... when I think "national emergency", I think "Pearl Harbor", "9/11", or "we're out of Twinkies".

Browns is the Browns

J
Legend
Legend
J
Well, I can see Twinkies and beer, not much else is a true emergency.

Legend
Legend
So a national emergency has to be man-made? That's an interesting interpretation...

What would you call it when something kills dozens, floods entire regions, has millions without power, has done billions of dollars worth of damage... sorry but "a storm" just doesn't seem to cut it.

And how could you run out of Twinkies? Those things last forever... stock up.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
In a zombie apocolypse, it is very possible to run out of twinkies.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So a national emergency has to be man-made? That's an interesting interpretation...

Doesn't have to be, those are just the things that came to mind.

Quote:

What would you call it when something kills dozens, floods entire regions, has millions without power, has done billions of dollars worth of damage...

Election season?

Quote:

God works in mysterious ways.... and Nature will seek to balance herself.

...and yeah, the zombie apocalypse thing, too.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I won't post the article but I see where a bunch of people on Staten Island, who ignored evacuation orders, are now using their phones to text and post on facebook that they are stranded in their attics or on the roofs and need the government to spend the resources to come rescue their sorry arses... I swear I think they should be fined $1000 if they were in a mandatory evacuation area and ignored the warning.

yebat' Putin
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

What would you call it when something kills dozens, floods entire regions, has millions without power, has done billions of dollars worth of damage...

Tuesday.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
They will claim they had no means to evacuate and were left there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

They will claim they had no means to evacuate and were left there.

The one I saw said that one of the guys posting on facebook in need of rescue was a fireman with a small child on the roof... you'd think a fireman would be smarter... but I guess he has that, "I can handle it" mentality...

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Cleveland IS the north coast

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What would you call it when something kills dozens, floods entire regions (with printed money) , has millions without power, has done billions of dollars worth of damage... sorry but "a storm" just doesn't seem to cut it.

President Obama?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

What would you call it when something kills dozens, floods entire regions, has millions without power, has done billions of dollars worth of damage... sorry but "a storm" just doesn't seem to cut it.

No, it can be anything, but it has to be a national emergency. This would be a regional emergency.

When tornado's ripped this region apart a couple of years ago it wasn't a national emergency. When California gets rocked by a major quake it isn't a national emergency.

This does because it hits close to the King and Queen and in the area of the people who write the headlines.

Don't worry, I'll send my money to the Red Cross in disaster relief just as I did for all the others once they make the call for help.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Meant to post this yesterday... I'd like to offer kudos to Chris Christie... the guy had some very nice things to say about Obama and what he has done regarding this storm so far...

I saw where Romney had some criticism about him jumping the gun or something and reacting too quickly.. not sure how he figured that. I just think it absolutely SUCKS that it is totally taboo to say something nice about anybody in the other party, even if they do something right.

Now I have to admit, I don't have a clue as to what Obama has done or hasn't done or plans to do about this storm and the devastation it left behind.. but damn it, if Christie thinks Obama is doing a good job with his response to this storm then he should tell the media how appreciative he is instead of trying to fabricate some criticism like darn near every other politician would do and has done over every stinkin little thing in the past........ Now all we need is about 3,000 other politicians and pundits to take note and act accordingly...

yebat' Putin
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

I saw where Romney had some criticism about him jumping the gun or something and reacting too quickly.. not sure how he figured that. I just think it absolutely SUCKS that it is totally taboo to say something nice about anybody in the other party, even if they do something right.

I saw where the former FEMA Director "Brownie" said that, which is hysterical. But, I've seen nothing like that from Romney.

Legend
Legend
Sorry, I must have misremembered.. I think you are correct. Brownie did a heck of a job in that interview though...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I heard something on the news about this storm that kind of made me laugh.

They were interviewing the guy who is in charge of getting the subways in NY back to operating condition, and when they teased the story the reporter said .... with a shocked voice .... "The damage is so severe that it may take 3, or maybe even 4 days before things are back to full operation."

The way she started, along with the images shown, I thought that she was going to say 3-4 weeks. 3-4 days seems like a pretty damn good job, considering that they have to get the water out, and then check every circuit so they make sure that they don't electrocute anyone, in addition to cleaning everything up.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

... in addition to cleaning everything up.

This is the New York subway we're talking about here...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Don't worry, I'll send my money to the Red Cross in disaster relief just as I did for all the others once they make the call for help.

If thats how you really feel, then please dont send support. Nothing worse than getting help from someone who thinks that just because it's a "regional problem" doesn't mean it's not something that they shouldn't try to help out with. Do you sigh and mutter to yourself as you read out your credit card to them? I mean, god forbid people in trouble ask you, person who lives 800 miles away, for help ...

The thing is? It is a national problem. NYC is one of the largest centers of human population in the world. They require food, amenities, things to build with, etc. that are all shipped in from around the world. How many trains and semi's had to be diverted? How much food spoiled? How much revenue was lost? All of these things affect not just the east coast, but the rest of the country as well. Someone in this thread said that this storm cost around 20 billion dollars; I've heard some estimate we could see this costing the country 60 billion if we take into account lost revenue. In a time where we have bureaucrats talking about slashing programs that cost in the millions, that's a large chunk of change.

There are no sacred cows.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If thats how you really feel, then please dont send support. Nothing worse than getting help from someone who thinks that just because it's a "regional problem" doesn't mean it's not something that they shouldn't try to help out with. Do you sigh and mutter to yourself as you read out your credit card to them? I mean, god forbid people in trouble ask you, person who lives 800 miles away, for help ...

So now by virtue of a sentence or two you are able to divine a persons motives and decide whether they are pure enough to give or not to give?

And there is something worse than receiving help from somebody who doesn't really want to help.. and that's not receiving help at all. Why don't you go find a poor family in New York and tell them, "I had this bag of groceries for you, but the guy that wanted to donate it was a real dbag so I told him he could keep it. So you have no food but I'm sure you are glad I stood up to him and his impure giving."

yebat' Putin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Hybrid of Sandy, winter storm threatens East Coast

Link Copied to Clipboard