Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
What a shock that Brandon Weeden isn't Andrew Luck.

Who knew, other than pretty much everyone?

When the Browns look full speed ahead at next year, no one in that draft is likely to be Andrew Luck, either.

New Browns CEO Joe Banner says the organization has to find out whether Weeden can take the team where it needs to go, preferably by the end of this season.

You might suggest "up" as a sufficient direction for now given Weeden's inexperience and that of other key players on offense. And you might well conclude that progress is happening, slowly and painfully.

Banner understandably desires to find the "great" quarterback and team him with the "great" coach to take the Browns to a championship -- as he told The Plain Dealer that ". . . two years from now, when we're trying to be a championship-caliber team, is he good enough to lead us there?"

Here's when you're likely to know that. The end of 2013 at the earliest.

This hope for the overnight ripening of franchise quarterbacks throughout the NFL is -- despite the efforts and smarts of so many qualified people -- the stuff of Magic 8 balls and Ouija boards.

Is Phillip Rivers good enough to win a championship? You'd have said so a few years ago. Now? Meh.

Jay Cutler? Sam Bradford? Matthew Stafford?

Did Cam Newton look better last year or this season?

It takes a lot more than 16 games to know, and even then answers are elusive on all except a chosen few.

We already suspected Weeden isn't Luck or Robert Griffin III. He wasn't drafted as if he were, and it wasn't only because of his relatively advanced age that he slipped out of the Top 10.

What we have seen is a quarterback who can make all the throws and who has looked confident more often than shaky. And who operates best when -- get this -- plays get called on time.

That's not enough to totally close out any discussion of replacing him next year. But it's enough for me to say the exact wrong thing to do would be to give up on this kind of size and arm without giving him time.

The arrival of Jimmy Haslam III and Banner is bound to bring big changes in the organization. But how much change is too much change?

Any attempt to run Weeden off and take another quarterback at the top of the draft would qualify.

He has played nine games. Charlie Frye started 19.

You know how you find out about a quarterback who's played nine games? Get him to 16 and then 32 without looking back or second-guessing the decision to draft him -- unless he suddenly reverts back to fumbling every time he hears "boo."

Weeden corrected his fumbling issues quickly and hasn't returned to the dark side, albeit with the benefit of pretty good pass protection.

He bounced back impressively from his worst game of the season -- the opener against Philadelphia. At Dallas next Sunday is his opportunity to rebound from his confused day against Baltimore.

You can say all bets are off under Banner and Haslam, that they have no ties to the current regime and its decisions. The current regime, though, is stock full of coaches who supposedly know quarterbacks. Joe Banner may watch film, but that should count for something.

Taking a 29-year-old quarterback in the first round and reaching quick conclusions on him is bad business for a football organization.

I'm not sure anybody the Browns could draft next year would be ready to lead a championship team on Banner's timetable. And nobody is looking to trade you a playoff-caliber quarterback.

Are there issues with Weeden? Sure. Not a great amount of football instinct on display at times. Then again we have no idea of the limitations put on him by the coaching staff.

The Browns have seen enough of his arm to know he can make all the throws. That's only part of it, of course, but it's not a small part in the NFL.

No doubt he's making Pat Shurmur's play calling look bad at times, just as I'm sure Shurmur and offensive coordinator Brad Childress aren't helping him when the advanced hieroglyphics they're calling reaches him with only a few ticks on the play clock.

Nine games needs to become 16 to become 32.

Given the tools Weeden presents, it's the only way to find out -- especially if next year brings a different coaching staff and offensive philosophy.

Of course, if a new coach installs the option, Weeden's gotta go.

Short of that, the worst you can say is he's looked like most rookies.

Not named Andrew Luck. (or Robert Griffin III or Russell Wilson)

Weeden: 185 of 336 (55%) 2088 yards 6.21 yards per attempt 9 TD's 12 INT's 1 fumble QBR: 19.9 Rating 67.9 (64 rushing yards)

Luck: 208 of 362 (57.5%) 2631 yards 7.27 yards per attempt 10 TD's 9 INT's 7 fumbles QBR: 77.6 Rating 79.1 (159 rushing yards)

Griffin: 172 of 262 (65.6%) 1993 yards 7.61 yards per attempt 8 TD's 3 INT's 2 fumbles QBR: 68.7 Rating 93.9 (529 rushing yards)

Tannehill: 165 of 280 (58.9%) 1979 yards 7.07 yards per attempt 5 TD's 9 INT's 3 fumbles QBR: 49 Rating 73.2 (23 rushing yards)

Russell Wilson: 157 of 253 (62.1%) 1827 yards 7.22 yards per attempt 15 TD's 8 INT's 3 fumbles QBR: 56.1 Rating 90.5 (189 rushing yards)

Just bored...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
you gotta give him another year.. unless he just completely.. and I mean COMPLETELY falls apart the rest of the season.. which I doubt.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
I have to agree, I think giving up on Weeden after this season would do more negative than positive. He's given this offense some signs of life, and in spite of his age, I think that not giving him another season to prove he is or is not the guy is neglible. I can understand Haslem/Banner wanting to distance themselves from everything and anything that had to do with what Mike Holmgren did here (except for Trent Richardson... Greg Little and Josh Gordon, and a hand full of other young up-and-comers) but Weeden should not be someone that they give up on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The numbers to date are irrelevant. Weeden's continued performance may be as well. If Haslam & Co. feel that Weeden is not the guy AND the guy they want is in this draft, they'll likely go get him. Kick, cry, scream, stomp your feet and shout, "It's not fair!" It won't make one whit of difference. Weeden will be out, new guy in. EOS

A few points:

1) Weeden will need to play lights out for the rest of the season for them to not at least consider drafting a high pick QB.

2) There must be a QB in the draft that they feel meets their needs in the long run in order for them to consider replacing Weeden.

3) If the conditions of point two are not met, Weeden most likely gets another year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
As I've said several times, when I've seen Luck play (only a couple times), he's made some very silly rookie mistakes, too. Let's not just look at stats or headlines and assume he's been absolutely perfect. Granted, he is extremely talented and looks like he's going to be a great one. But he's not infallible.

As for Weeden, outside of some of the seemingly-know-it-alls on this board, is there really anyone with any kind of real knowledge who thinks that Weeden is on a short leash? I mean, seriously?

Has he struggled at times? Heck yeah. Has he disappointed us at times? Heck yeah. However, has he also done good things? Heck yeah.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

As for Weeden, outside of some of the seemingly-know-it-alls on this board, is there really anyone with any kind of real knowledge who thinks that Weeden is on a short leash? I mean, seriously?

I think there's a fear that he's on a short leash and playing for his job. That's born of the knowledge that Haslam has and will make big changes. When you get a new owner you get new people, so it's natural there's a fear that Weeden won't get to stick.

It's unfortunate to say this, but I do think that the QB's in this draft factor in to the decision.

If Andrew Luck were coming out this year, and we had the #1 pick, that's a totally different set of considerations than if we had the #1 pick and the only guy sitting on the board is Barkley. Luck is a generational guy while Barkley is as likely to be the next Mark Sanchez as anyone else. Geno Smith? Meh. There isn't a rock-star QB in this draft, and that plays to Weeden's favor.

This is part of the problem when you decide to reach and take a QB who will be 30 in his 2nd season.

I'm not sold on Weeden. He, like Tannehill, is a developmental guy, his advanced age be damned. To me, he's shown enough moments to justify more time, even though he's also shown enough D'oh! moments to make you question if he's the guy. Unfortunately, because of his age, he will be on a shorter leash than most. That's part of the huge gamble we made when we took an old guy as a rook.

In the end I think it's a good thing for Weeden that there isn't that absolute stud coming out this year. He may have gotten more time regardless but he was never in the same class as Luck or RG3 and that made him vulnerable if he didn't come right in and light things up. He hasn't done that, but he also hasn't flopped. The opportunity for a new regime to pick "their guy" at the QB position is there, but I'm not so sure the available talent coming out of college is.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I certainly understand the "fear." I think that applies to all the players and the coaches/front office. You're right, when you have a new regime come in, you expect changes.

I guess I was speaking more toward people who have him on a short leash because of his very rookie-like performances at times. Then again, they'd be the same people who would have been wanting to chase Luck out of town when he had a clunker of a game or threw his first interception.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Weeden: 185 of 336 (55%) 2088 yards 6.21 yards per attempt 9 TD's 12 INT's 1 fumble QBR: 19.9 Rating 67.9 (64 rushing yards)

Can someone figure out Weedens stats minus the first game?
I would think that would give us a better of example of how he rates with the other qbs.

Heck if some one has the time can you figure out the stats of each rookie qb minus their worst game.

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

When you're talking new owner, new front office and new head coach, there's a definite possibility that Weeden is on a short leash. He'll be 30 next year and there's not a lot of people who want to stake their future on a 30 year old still in need of development that was drafted by somebody else. Remember, if we clean house, there won't be a single person in the organization from the top down who was responsible for drafting Weeden.

As Toad said, the biggest thing Weeden has going for him is that we don't know if there's a QB worth replacing him with in the draft. Both Barkley and Smith have their warts and they're just as likely to fall as they are to rise to the top. That said, if our front office falls in love with one of those 1st round guys and has a chance to take him, it's lights out for Weeds.

Ultimately if we do go QB somewhat early, I think it's for a project with elite physical tools but in need of a ton of work like Bray or Thomas who we can get outside the 1st round. Weeden could be given another year while those guys are developed... might be the best of both worlds. We'll have to wait and see though... what we do with our FO and coaching staff will go a long way to determine Weeden's future.

We're... we're good?
Legend
Legend
anyone think that Haslam and Banner (two of the decision makers now) like Colt McCoy?

just asking? not trying to start a riot.. lol.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

anyone think that Haslam and Banner (two of the decision makers now) like Colt McCoy?

Possibly, just not enough to promote him over Weeden.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It'd be bad enough if the 2 new squirrelly guys at the top clean house on the coaching AND scouting front, but if they waste a pick to draft a QB on day 1 or 2 coming April, that's all any fan with half a brain needs to know....that it is about EGO and not the bst of the franchise....

There's absolutely no way to know about Weeden FOR SURE one way or the other and he has shown enough flashes and overall game development to warrant more time...any new guy taking over the Browns worth anything should be able to see that, so if they don't they're either incompetent or vanity is at work, pick your poison

No, you can't say "he isnt our guy"...it's simply impossible to come to this conclusion after watching him progress in those games after week 1. So if anyone should come to this conclusion, he's either stupid or wants a virgin wife, or both

On top of that, they'd pretty much be happy to throw away a 1st rounder after only 1 season....that's stupid enough.

If they are stupid enough to really draft a QB high (ok with day 3 pick...McCoy will be gone after 2013), I'd def be out even before the 1st snap...you can happily quote me on that, as I probably won't even read anything on here anymore

Banner's comment alone was moronic btw...hey rat face, you dont know crap about football to make a decision like that, so how about you stfu

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I doubt it. Colt had become kind of a joke outside the Browns market... not the kind of guy people want to make a splash with.

E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
I think Weeden's only had two outright BAD games. Other than that he's been solid. Take away those two games and were not even having this discussion.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

It'd be bad enough if the 2 new squirrelly guys at the top clean house on the coaching AND scouting front, but if they waste a pick to draft a QB on day 1 or 2 coming April, that's all any fan with half a brain needs to know....that it is about EGO and not the bst of the franchise....

There's absolutely no way to know about Weeden FOR SURE one way or the other and he has shown enough flashes and overall game development to warrant more time...any new guy taking over the Browns worth anything should be able to see that, so if they don't they're either incompetent or vanity is at work, pick your poison

No, you can't say "he isnt our guy"...it's simply impossible to come to this conclusion after watching him progress in those games after week 1. So if anyone should come to this conclusion, he's either stupid or wants a virgin wife, or both

On top of that, they'd pretty much be happy to throw away a 1st rounder after only 1 season....that's stupid enough.

If they are stupid enough to really draft a QB high (ok with day 3 pick...McCoy will be gone after 2013), I'd def be out even before the 1st snap...you can happily quote me on that, as I probably won't even read anything on here anymore

Banner's comment alone was moronic btw...hey rat face, you dont know crap about football to make a decision like that, so how about you stfu

I think the fact that Banner has already said "we need to determine if Weeden is the guy" is the writing on the wall. He's gone. Period. Especially if we are picking top 3. You do not spend a billion dollars on a team and then give some moron complete control and roll with other people's players. Just don't do it. Can you imagine if Weeden slumps big time next year? Jimmy boy and Banner will get blasted for being in position to draft a QB and not take him. You think they want that egg on their face?

It has nothing to do with whether they think Weeden can be that guy. He's not THEIR guy. Period.

On a side note, I have voiced my displeasure with Weeden's inability to make plays when we need them the most. There's an article on the OBR website about it too. However, I do like him and think he's close to the real deal. I would like to see some heroics at some point. Having said that, Luck is getting a lot of love and I don't really see it. And I certainly don't see a big difference between him and Weeden. He's certainly proved he can rush for TDs ... big freaking deal. He had a nice come back win against the Pack ... something Weeden still hasn't done, but overall the absolute love and the complete lack of respect for Weeden is so disproportionate that it's disgusting.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's what irks me too...you just don't MAKE comments like that if you REALLY care about this year's team, which they obviously don't. So much for evaluating everyone AFTER the season...yeah, right....They're acting like elephants in a chinaware shop...from their first moment they got their feet in. It's disgusting...they can't wait to start playing with THEIR new toy and they give a buck about any value or development accomplished in the past 1 and a half seasons...as a fan I feel betrayed. Why did we watch those 20+ games then? Why should we watch the next 7 if coaching staff, FO and even QB get replaced after 20-25 freaking games?

Banner's comment also implied that Heckert would be gone btw, after all he said HE and Jimmy will make that call on Weeden, so where's Heckert in that equation? Yeah, gone...so much for "evaluating everyone" after the season part 2

They're already 0fer in doing things they say they would do....back to Mangini double talk, saying one smart thing and then do the opposite outsmart other, which more often is pretty moronic than clever...but, but he found Reid and he's so much smarter than the rest of the world.

Anybody else NOT seeing the same EGOS at work here? Mangini loved to talk about his time with Belly, Banner obviously is proud about Reid...but the truth is that they both got hushed out by those same guys they love to bring up when trying to make themselves look better in what they do and don't have much respect in the NFL world....why do those losers ALWAYS land with a job with the Browns?

"Act like you've been there before" should also count for Coaches and FO people...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

...as a fan I feel betrayed

THIS.

Over the years, when the Browns started doing badly, I still enjoyed watching the NFL in general. Last week I hardly cared. I'm getting pretty apathetic at this point.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I have to say watching the Browns with Weeden is a whole lot more fun than 75% of the years we've seen since the reboot.

I enjoy watching the Browns now.

Overall I'm just a little mixed. I have to say the sissification of the NFL is wearing on me a little bit. The "strikezone" on the QB. Not being able to break up a post route without a flag. It's a little tiresome seeing those hankies out there.

But I still enjoy it.

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
I'll just toss a monkey wrench in the works here. If I were a hot-shot NFL executive and knew I needed some serious talent infusion on draft day then I might be inclined to lie like a dog to the sporting press about everything and anything to drive up the value of my upcoming first round pick. Even if Banner has a picture of Weeden hanging over the mantel of his fireplace at home he should probably not tip his hand too early. Shoot, I've been lied to so much over the years about the team and where it was heading I almost expect it.

Even if they plan on starting Weeden next year they should keep their yaps shut until after draft day. You never know what might come up.

Or they may think that Weeden is a bum and are ready to kick him to the curb. Who knows? All I know is nothing should be sacred in Berea come January.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not concerned who likes him or doesn't.
He is better than the other QB's we've had in this stable over the years, plus it's only been 9 games .
He's made the rookie mistakes, but I see a lot of upside in him ,something I haven't seen since Couch. And he was limited in what he could do.
DA would be similar but he really had no football IQ so he wasn't going to get better.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So when you buy a new house, I'm sure that instead of debating wall color, changing fixtures, updating appliances, re-doing landscaping, etc. you say "The people who sold us this house spent 3 years of their time decorating it, I'll give their pink floral wallpaper a year before I decide whether I really like it or not."

After this year, they'll have seen 16 starts from a QB turning 30 next year. Colt got 21. Frye got 19. Quinn got 12. If they want to make a judgment about Weeden after this year, it's their right. The LAST thing I want to do is have Haslam/Banner come in, keep someone else's guys around and delay implementing their plan for another year. Holmgren did that with Mangini... how well did that work out? And this...

Quote:

...tells me you don't understand the concept of a sunk cost. Weeden is not a 1st rounder anymore. We cannot trade Weeden to get a 1st rounder back. Weeden is a QB on the roster. The pick spent on Weeden is long gone and very likely, the guys who drafted him will be too. If they leave, his draft spot will mean even LESS than it does now. Was Tebow a 1st rounder when Denver traded him to the Jets for a 4th or just a mediocre QB?

Simply put, I'm glad they're evaluating Weeden and they should evaluate everyone else too. If we're in a position to take a QB that we feel is a significant upgrade to Weeden and we don't because Weeden is on the roster, THEN we're being stupid. Haslam and Banner are going to build things their way and Haslam is going to be around for a long time. That means evaluation for everyone. That means change. More than likely, that means new players. Quite frankly, if you're not ready for that or willing to accept that, you're about to be sorely disappointed.

We're... we're good?
P
Legend
Legend
P
LOL

Yes, let's draft a big question mark to replace a question mark. There's no Andrew Luck in this draft.

So let's just promote that the new regime take a huge gamble on a draft pick not worthy of a top 5 and set up the excuse machine in advance.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IMO Weeden has shown enough to get another year.

So with that said, Go with Weeden for at least the next two years, and then if he's not a top 5-10 QB leading your team, you can draft and bring along a young guy to replace him.

What's wrong with that?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

LOL

Yes, let's draft a big question mark to replace a question mark. There's no Andrew Luck in this draft.

So let's just promote that the new regime take a huge gamble on a draft pick not worthy of a top 5 and set up the excuse machine in advance.

X2

Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL

As I read his post, he wasn't promoting it... he was just saying to be prepared because it could happen.

And you are right, there is no Andrew Luck in this draft and even if there was, he would be a Chief next year....

I'm not for wholesale changes but if they occur, I hope they occur in the right fashion... if Heckert has to go, then go get your GM, let him pick his coach, then let the GM and Coach evaluate the players that will stay or go.... then Banner can work the contracts and Haslam can play on his yacht or whatever it is that he does in his free time.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I doubt it. Colt had become kind of a joke outside the Browns market... not the kind of guy people want to make a splash with.

I'm no Colt fan but this isn't true IMO. I live in NY and travel regularly and when I talk Browns with anyone who kinda knows them they almost always say something to the effect of "why isn't Colt starting". Then I have to go through the whole noodle arm explanation etc.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Browns want Weeden to cut down on interceptions

By TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press – 14 hours ago

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- The numbers aren't good, at least not good enough. Brandon Weeden doesn't need anyone to tell him that.

The Browns rookie quarterback doesn't have to scan his statistics to know he has to play better. He's well aware that he's thrown too many interceptions, won too few games and has yet to convince Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam and new CEO Joe Banner that he's the franchise's future.

Weeden understands he must improve. Just don't bother bringing it up.

''I'm not a moron,'' he said.

Following a bye week to rest his arm, relax his body and mentally block out the bad stuff from the season's first nine games, Weeden said Wednesday that he's determined to play at a higher level and lead the Browns to some victories in their last seven games.

Maybe because he's 29, Weeden isn't always viewed as a rookie, which may explain some of the criticism about his game.

''I think lost in all of this is that I'm a rookie,'' he said. ''I'm still playing teams for the first time. I'm still seeing things for the first time. I'm making a lot of mistakes that I'm making for the first time. I'm trying not to repeat them. But I'm not a nine or 10-year veteran.

''Some people might lose track of that sometimes. But it is what it is. I've got to play better. I've got to do my part to help this team win.''

And taking better care of the football should be his top priority.

Before practice, Browns coach Pat Shurmur made it clear there is one aspect of Weeden's game that needs immediate attention.

''Don't throw interceptions,'' he said. ''Done. End story. I want to be right to the point.''

Point taken.

Weeden has thrown 12 interceptions, tied for the NFL's second-highest total. The only QB to throw more picks is Dallas' Tony Romo, who will match up against Weeden on Sunday when the Browns (2-7) visit the Cowboys (4-5) looking to end an 11-game road losing streak.

Weeden concurred with Shurmur's candid and curt assessment that he needs to be smart with the football.

''That's kind of been my priority since I played Pee-Wee football,'' Weeden said. ''We never want to throw interceptions. My aggressive manor and mindset sometimes gets me in trouble. I'm not going to take that away from myself.

''I have to take care of the football. I have to cut down on them. I think guys that are aggressive like that, sometimes that's one category they unfortunately may have a couple more than they'd like. It's not good, but we're just being aggressive. Sometimes, making that aggressive throw, sometimes it catapults you and gets you momentum. You get a big throw and kind of spark a drive or something. I agree with him.''

The Browns' game before their bye was testament to Shurmur's evaluation of Weeden, who has completed 185 of 336 passes (55 percent) for 2,088 yards and nine touchdowns.

Weeden threw two interceptions during a 25-15 loss to Baltimore. Those miscues weren't particularly costly, but he failed to get the Browns into the end zone despite five possessions inside the Ravens' 20-yard line. There were some who theorized that Weeden played too cautiously in the red zone, perhaps because he was afraid to throw a pick with Ravens safety Ed Reed lurking.

Did the gunslinger get gun shy?

Weeden said he took what the Ravens gave him.

''If you go watch the tape, no one was open,'' he said. ''I made smart decisions down there. We were in the red zone and the balls I did throw, I did check down. Windows were small, but if I throw a pick there, you guys are asking me the same questions.

Weeden and Shurmur have discussed his decision making and interceptions, but it hasn't been a major point of emphasis during their talks.

''It's just common knowledge between the both of us, we know you can't turn the ball over,'' he said. ''It's in my forefront, but I don't let it get to the front of my mind, where I'm so paranoid about throwing interceptions that I don't take shots.''

Unable to work out a trade to move up and draft Robert Griffin III, the Browns selected Weeden with the No. 22 overall pick in April's draft. They ignored his age, dismissed the fact that he rarely took a snap under center in college and banked on him filling a position that has been unresolved for years.

Shurmur believes Weeden can become an ''outstanding player'' and to do that he needs ''to lead us to victories and don't throw interceptions.''

That will happen once Weeden starts making better choices.

''I've looked at all of those interceptions and there are times when he could've made better decisions,'' Shurmur said. ''There's, of course, things that have happened where a ball bounces off a guy's chest. So you look at all of those things. You don't want to play anxious football, but you also have to be smart.''

Last week, Banner said he and Haslam will use the rest of the season to decide if Weeden is indeed Cleveland's long-term answer at quarterback. If there wasn't enough pressure on Weeden already, Banner raised the heat level a few degrees.

Weeden, though, isn't sweating it. He's doesn't feel as if he's under fire.

''I would've expected him to say that,'' he said. ''They're taking over this organization and they're going to do the moves to help this team win and I obviously want to be the guy that they have a lot of confidence in going forward and I've got to play like it.

''I've got to go play well and keep the team growing and keep the team making better plays and let the rest kind of take care of itself.''

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

LOL

As I read his post, he wasn't promoting it... he was just saying to be prepared because it could happen.

And you are right, there is no Andrew Luck in this draft and even if there was, he would be a Chief next year....

I'm not for wholesale changes but if they occur, I hope they occur in the right fashion... if Heckert has to go, then go get your GM, let him pick his coach, then let the GM and Coach evaluate the players that will stay or go.... then Banner can work the contracts and Haslam can play on his yacht or whatever it is that he does in his free time.

that's some good thinking there DC.. If someones gotta go, OK,, fine. no problem as long as you replace them with someone that's a clear improvement..

I think we all know there are better candidates for HC then Shurmur available.. But I really don't know of a better GM then Heckert that will be available. Of course, I also don't know everyone in the league either...

If they said, we're replacing Shurmur with Cowher,,, That's a pretty clear upgrade..

If they said we are replacing Heckert with Ozzie Newsome or Ernie Accorsi (probably doesn't want to do that anymore) I'd say,, hey,, good choices. But if they said George Kukanis... Get the hell out of dodge.

So for me, it's' not who they boot, but who they bring in. I would like Heckert to remain, but hey, get me someone I can believe in and I'll shut up and see how it goes.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

"In the end I think it's a good thing for Weeden that there isn't that absolute stud coming out this year. He may have gotten more time regardless but he was never in the same class as Luck or RG3 and that made him vulnerable if he didn't come right in and light things up. He hasn't done that, but he also hasn't flopped. The opportunity for a new regime to pick "their guy" at the QB position is there, but I'm not so sure the available talent coming out of college is."

===========================================================

Unfortunately I have to agree.

How unfair: Peyton Manning comes out the year before we get the first pick.

Then last year the Rams win 2 games. One of those games is against the Saints. If they loss that game there is good chance Andrew Luck plays in Cleveland.

Now here we are again 2012 with Branden Weeden. More than likely we end up with a top five pick and really there is not a guy who compares to Luck or Manning in the draft.

At this point: I believe the Browns need to build their defense.

The reality on Weeden is: We just do not know if he has "it". No matter how much we would like to know. You can not push the process. Weeden has the physical tool set. The part of his game that is in question can only be revealed with experience. Will he learn and grow? The answer to that question will probably take through next season to determine.

He could regress and flunk out the rest of the season. He could get better and show great progress. But the most likely scenario is he develops slowly and learns a little each game he plays.

Given the youth of the offense and the stage where Weeden is at I believe the off season emphasis and the fastest path to respectability is to develop the defense.

The D-line has good young starting tackles in Rubin and Taylor. Sheard has play making rush skills of the end. Billy Winn was a terrific find. He can rotate at tackle. In addition they are working him at DE. He has the speed and quickness to play DE. Parker, Hughes, Kitchen, and Rucker are all serviceable guys.

A Sheard bookend DE with mad pass rush skills would be a good add. First round thought.

Linebackers: Jackson is in a place as the leader. JMJ is developing. Gocong is decent. Maiava is undersized and really is a depth guy. Need a impact guy here. I'm talking like Clay Mathews or Von Miller. First round consideration has to be Jarvis Jones.

DB's: We need another Haden. We have to find a good corner. This could be in the draft or free agency.

The defense has the core to be really good. You play good consistent defense - you have a chance to win every week.
===============================================

The only add to the offense that I believe should be addressed in free agency is a veteran receiver. A guy in the mold of Reggie Wayne, or Marquis Colston. A precise route runners who can catch and help mentor Gordon and Little.
MoMass is a lost cause. He should be cut.

The offense is young and hopefully will develop. We know we can run. We hope to be able to pass the ball and catch it.

The old adage "defense wins championships" may be a stretch with today's passing game. However, if your defense is top five ranked and you can really get after the quarterback you can still win a lot of games.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I think the fact that Banner has already said "we need to determine if Weeden is the guy" is the writing on the wall. He's gone. Period. Especially if we are picking top 3. You do not spend a billion dollars on a team and then give some moron complete control and roll with other people's players. Just don't do it.

oh, you just want to add another name to our illustrious list of week1 starters since our re-inception:

2012 Brandon Weeden
2011 Colt McCoy
2010 Jake Delhomme
2009 Brady Quinn
2008 Derek Anderson
2007 Charlie Frye (1 half only, but he was the guy who started)
2006 Charlie Frye
2005 Trent Dilfer
2004 Jeff Garcia
2003 Kelly Holcomb
2002 Kelly Holcomb
2001 Tim Couch
2000 Tim Couch
1999 Ty Detmer

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

LOL

Like DC said, I'm not saying to do it, I'm just saying that it might happen. IF we had a shot at a Luck in this draft I'd do it in a heartbeat but that's clearly not the case. Just realize that if our new front office feels that one of the top QBs in this draft is a franchise guy, there's a very legitimate chance he's on our pick.

You say it's replacing a question mark with a question mark. They'll say it's replacing a 29-30 year old question mark that they didn't draft with a 22-23 year old question mark that they like better. Honestly, if there IS a QB who they believe is a franchise guy (and IF they don't believe Weeden is one) then they should go get him. I don't see it happening but who knows?

Just realize one thing: a new organization means that EVERYONE is a sunk cost. It doesn't matter where a guy was drafted, it doesn't matter that a guy just got an extension... they're going to be evaluated and moved on or sent to the bench if they don't fit anymore. New faces everywhere yet you expect our roster to just keep moving forward? Won't happen. Everyone is at risk with a new organization if the new guys don't see them in the same light... and that includes Weeden.

We're... we're good?
Legend
Legend
I'd say that as long as Weeden continues to grow and improve over the 2nd half of this season, there's no way that he ISN'T the guy.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'd say that as long as Weeden continues to grow and improve over the 2nd half of this season, there's no way that he ISN'T the guy.

If he keeps getting better and plays well in the 2nd half, you would think he'd be that guy and he'd deserve another year for sure.

With changes as sweeping as these you never know though. The saying goes new coaches mean new QBs; well what about throwing new ownership and a new front office into the mix? Not a single person in the building involved in the decision to take Weeden... that means that deciding on someone other than Weeden is a LOT easier for them.

If he improves and plays well, he'll make it a hard decision and in a weakish QB draft, they'll probably go with him for another year. If he keeps regressing and plays like he has for the past 2 games... let's just say he'd better watch his back.

We're... we're good?
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

I think the fact that Banner has already said "we need to determine if Weeden is the guy" is the writing on the wall. He's gone. Period. Especially if we are picking top 3. You do not spend a billion dollars on a team and then give some moron complete control and roll with other people's players. Just don't do it.

oh, you just want to add another name to our illustrious list of week1 starters since our re-inception

Actually, I don't.

What I want to happen and what I think will happen aren't necessarily the same thing. I like Weeden. I would like to see him do some things better, but I'm also interested in seeing what he could become with some growth.

However, I personally don't think Banner and Haslam have any affinity for Weeden, and I believe the last game of this season will be the last game for Weeden as a Brown. So where is my investment as a fan? For me or for any of us? Can we have any investment in the growth of our players the next 7 games? I don't see how. Way too much uncertainty.

I've also reached the point where I could care less what players or coaches are getting it done.

Just win baby, just win.

I'm sick and tired of rooting for a loser. There is nothing fun in that. I don't have any fun or get any enjoyment watching this team on Sundays. None. Zilch. Zero.

Just win baby, just win.

If Banner and Haslam bring a winner here ... I will sing their praises. Only time will tell on that. But these next 7 games are nothing but in exercise in futility for our coaches and many of our players, and I for one think that's going to suck to watch. Another wasted season in BrownsTown ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I personally don't think Banner and Haslam have any affinity for Weeden

why does anyone think that? they never said it

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe the last game of this season will be the last game for Weeden as a Brown.

There are some QB starved teams, but they will all be at the bottom of the draft where they can grab a guy like Barkley, Smith, or Bray.

Why would someone trade for Weeden?

If no one would, why would we cut him?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I can see people criticizing Weeden's last game, but the San Diego game was played in horrific conditions. Rivers went 18-34 for only 154 yards against us in that game ..... an amazing 4.53 yards/attempt .... and he threw no TDs. (also no INT) That's 90 yards below his per game average, and almost 3 yards below his average yards/pass attempt. (7.34)

Weeden had a rough game against Baltimore.There's no way around that. However, the coaches have to do everything they can to help prepare him for what teams will do against them, and also to get the plays in so that the rookie QB has time at the LOS to see what the defense is doing, and adjust.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
One thing that hasn't been mentioned. Or at least I haven't heard it....

The worst starting QBs in today's NFL are light years better than the worst starting QBs of just a decade ago.

I know that rule changes have made a big difference but you look at the worst QBs of the 90s and it's so bad it's a wonder the games were even viewed.

A world where the Sanchezs, Fitzpatricks, Cassels, Vicks and others are the worst playing is actually pretty good IMO.

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I googled some of the all time worst QBs per team...check out some of these names. I watched plenty of their awful, dreadful games...

Milt Plum det -2167
Jake Plummer crd -2143
Vinny Testaverde tam -1967
David Carr htx -1866
Randy Johnson atl -1801
Rick Mirer sea -1705
Mike Phipps cle -1687
Rick Norton mia -1544
Kyle Boller rav -1530
Ryan Leaf sdg -1528
Jack Jacobs gnb -1453
Alex Smith sfo -1450
Jack Concannon chi -1438
Frank Tripucka den -1409
Davey O'Brien phi -1366
Dave M. Brown nyg -1357
Jeff George clt -1336
Dennis Shaw buf -1314
Dan Pastorini oti -1285
Mike Taliaferro nwe -1200
Dave Wilson nor -1160
Mark Malone pit -1125
Kerry Collins car -1111
Ralph Guglielmi was -1079
Akili Smith cin -1067
Todd Blackledge kan - 886
Marc Wilson rai - 817
Dan Pastorini ram - 813
Bubby Brister nyj - 660
Quincy Carter dal - 588
Steve Beuerlein jax - 218

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Spot on....and the closer the gap between the good and bad QBs, the more other positions become the difference of winning and losing....right now, the most valuable position to have a stud at might be FS as the gap between the best and worst is the most significant

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bud Shaw: Weeden deserves a much longer look

Link Copied to Clipboard