Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
I know we have the Shurmur/Heckert thread, but I thought this deserved it's own. Lot of good info in here.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&post_id=9761

Quote:

By Tony Grossi

The Morning Kickoff …

The lowdown: These are the latest rumblings I’ve heard from NFL – and college – sources concerning the inevitable shake-up in Browns football operations being considered by CEO Joe Banner.

For the record, owner Jimmy Haslam and Banner recently have declined all meaningful interviews regarding the future configuration of their organization. They have pledged to not make any decisions until after the season.

But it is commonly believed that GM Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur will not be back. Heckert, my sources say, knew it the day Banner reported to work in October as Haslam’s CEO. Shurmur surely knows it now, after that coaching debacle against Washington on Sunday.

The Lombardi Factor: Banner has diagramed an organization chart that calls for football operations to report to him. That means Heckert’s position will be replaced by a glorified player personnel director who will work closely with Banner. He may win some battles but ultimately he will have no real authority to establish a vision, pick players or make trades. Banner will set the agenda.

So who would accept these restrictions? Someone who has been out of the league for five years – Mike Lombardi.

The smooth-talking NFL Network analyst has fostered a relationship with Banner since working for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1997-98. Lombardi, who was Bill Belichick’s first lieutenant in Cleveland after GM Ernie Accorsi left in 1992, was not invited by Art Modell to join the Ravens organization in Baltimore.

Former Eagles coach Ray Rhodes rescued Lombardi with a job in 1997. This was a dream opportunity for Lombardi, who was from the Philadelphia area, but it was lost when the Eagles named Tom Modrak director of football operations. There is a story that on Modrak’s first day on the job, he marched into Lombardi’s office still wearing his overcoat and told Lombardi to pack his belongings. That was the third of Lombardi’s four firings from NFL clubs.

Nevertheless, Lombardi maintained a relationship with Banner, who has risen to positions of enormous power with the Eagles and now the Browns.

According to one source in the loop, the only other name associated in NFL circles with the soon-to-be-vacant position with the Browns is Tom Gamble. Gamble is director of player personnel with the San Francisco 49ers and is considered a viable candidate for several general manager positions expected to open in the NFL.

But because the position Banner has created is on a same plane with the job Gamble currently holds in San Francisco, Gamble would not give the Browns’ job a second thought.

Banner effectively has created a position that only Lombardi would accept.

The coaching candidates: Over the years, Lombardi has forged relationships in the agent business. One that Lombardi has maintained is with Jimmy Sexton. Sexton happens to be Alabama coach Nick Saban’s agent. This relationship partially explains the Saban-to-Cleveland rumors.

Independently, Saban, who has built a national powerhouse at Alabama, is believed to be Haslam’s first choice to coach the Browns. Lombardi is well aware of that, of course. According to a source, Lombardi has gained traction with Haslam by attaching himself to Saban’s coattails.

I have now have had three credible sources – two in the NFL and one in the college ranks – swear to me that Saban has no attraction whatsoever to Lombardi. One insisted Saban wouldn’t work with Lombardi “in a thousand years.” Another on Monday said there is “zero chance” Saban would leave Alabama to work alongside Lombardi in Cleveland.

There is one rumor that Haslam is prepared to offer Saban a $100 million deal over 10 years to coach the Browns.

Two sources who know Saban have told me that Saban is leaning toward staying at Alabama and if he ever sought to scratch that NFL itch again, it would not be in Cleveland. Once Saban left Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., said one source, he has never traveled north of Tennessee.

Sexton and Lombardi could be scratching each other’s backs on the Saban rumors, said one source. The theory is that Lombardi gains stature with the Browns by forwarding this tall tale, and Saban inevitably will gain a new deal with Alabama.
The Crimson Tide could and would re-up whatever it takes to keep him, said a source.

If not Saban, then who?: In his many media platforms, Lombardi frequently talks up Oregon’s Chip Kelly as a quality NFL coaching candidate. In fact, Lombardi formed a relationship with Kelly several years ago. Lombardi may have introduced Kelly to Belichick, who has incorporated some of Kelly’s fast-paced offensive concepts into the Patriots’ scheme.

Kelly, however, would not be a candidate in Cleveland, said a source, because he has the ego and stature at this time to demand total control of football operatios. And that is something only Saban could wrestle from Banner in Cleveland.

Kelly will get full control somewhere in the NFL. One source predicts it will be Kelly’s demise as an NFL coach, given his total unfamiliarity of the league.

So what does that leave the Browns as head coach? Lombardi’s third choice is Canton-native Josh McDaniels, who failed as Denver Broncos coach but has risen form the ashes in his second stint as Tom Brady’s personal coach with the Patriots.

McDaniels, 36, was 11-17 as Denver Broncos coach in 2009-10 after a 6-0 start. His hiring would likely enable the Browns to retain Dick Jauron as defensive coordinator and much of the current defensive staff.

There are other possibilities of how the Browns’ new direction will unfold, but a Banner-Lombardi-McDaniels triumvirate is currently seen as the most realistic.

One source remarked of the Cleveland situation, “From a distance, I’m fascinated with how it turns out.”

Legend
Legend
Interesting read. Where there's smoke there's usually fire. I'm certainly curious to see how it turns out.

But, this is a silly season, just like before the draft. We all remember the rumors of Cowher buying a house in Cleveland, of how Gruden was a sure thing to become the Browns' next HC. And look how those turned out.

And, I just generally have a distrust of Grossi. I can't point to any one thing, really. Just don't like the guy.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
I think this is all very plausible. Probably likely.

Honestly, I'd be ok with McDaniels. I am intrigued this time around by him.

Banner/Lombardi scare the crap out of me. Banner will probably trade Joe Thomas in the offseason because of his contract.

For a supposedly awesome business man, Haslam is in over his head and has been snowballed by a weasel just so he can own an NFL team.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This Banner and Lombardi thing just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen....
I'm not a huge Saban fan, but if it meant these guys weren't calling the shots then maybe it's not such a bad thing....
Kelley should stay in college.... its like Steve Spurrier all over again, that kind of play just isn't going to work in the NFL. Think we throw the ball too much now, not even close to what Oregon does- talk about tiring out your own defense!!!
McDaniels does have an offensive mind, give him credit for that. He also single handedly blew up the Broncos....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

For a supposedly awesome business man, Haslam is in over his head and has been snowballed by a weasel just so he can own an NFL team.

Can you explain that?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
You know, you can just tell by his body of work...you know, the last 2 months

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I

The Lombardi Factor: Banner has diagramed an organization chart that calls for football operations to report to him. That means Heckert’s position will be replaced by a glorified player personnel director who will work closely with Banner. He may win some battles but ultimately he will have no real authority to establish a vision, pick players or make trades. Banner will set the agenda.

So who would accept these restrictions? Someone who has been out of the league for five years – Mike Lombardi.

I hope a certain Frog is happy now....it's at least been reported now what I saw happening the day I heard Banner open his mouth...not that this could have been seen coming months ago

Banner = new Mangini "the I'm so smart GM version"

McDaniels = Mangini "the I'm so smart HC version"

Lombardi = new Kokinis

Haslam = new dumb owner getting fooled by double tongues

Lombardi drafted hacks his entire career

Banner has no clue about football "but watches some clips of possible late rounders that scouts like between draft-day nights" lol (he actually said that, I'm not making this up)

McDaniels drafted Tebow in round 1 and spent a 2nd and 1st on CB Alphonso Smith, both are no longer Broncos

Haslam is a fan who thinks he knows football

How does it sound having those 4 men in your war room at draft day making the calls?

On top, probable switch to the 3-4, new Offense scheme and here we go again Cleveland, have fun with the next 5 year plan

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

only because there is no vomit graemlin

you had a good run Hank.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope Heckert stays!

N
Legend
Legend
N
all it is saying is how Lombardi wants things. i'm confused as why you automatically assume that it's how Banner/Haslam would agree to it.

it's even noted that this all could be Lombardi/Sexton "scratching each other's backs"

and the bombshell (which really isn't because it's the same thing we all know since Lombardi is a hack):

Quote:

I have now have had three credible sources – two in the NFL and one in the college ranks – swear to me that Saban has no attraction whatsoever to Lombardi. One insisted Saban wouldn’t work with Lombardi “in a thousand years.”

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

I think I'm going to be sick!

I hope much of this does fall into the "Cowher bought a house in Clevleand" category!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Heckert is probably as good as gone. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he leaves "of his own accord" and winds up in Carolina. Just a gut feeling (and we all know how those turn out around here!)

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
If Heckert "leaves of his own accord" then I'm assuming he would forfeit the remainder of his contract.

Funny how all of a sudden with this piece Grossi isn't the bumbling fool that everyone constantly says he is.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Funny how all of a sudden with this piece Grossi isn't the bumbling fool that everyone constantly says he is.

I still say he's a bumbling fool. I'm hoping this is all b.s., but it's the Browns, so the glass is probably going to be half empty - on a good day!

-Derek Jeter
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm still not buying it....

I don't see how there is really any 'smoke' yet. Just seems like speculation.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

all it is saying is how Lombardi wants things. i'm confused as why you automatically assume that it's how Banner/Haslam would agree to it.

Actually the article is more about how Banner wants things and how Lombardi is one of the few, if not the only, guy that would be willing to work under those circumstances....

The rumors swirling around Banner are troubling indeed.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Bring in anyone who has a sound knowledge of how to run a SUCCESSFUL offense, whether it be NFL or college, and I'm happy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
N
Legend
Legend
N
naw, Lombardi is just a bigger fool

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

This the kind of stuff that makes me gag. The thought of Lombardi who has failed at every level and the guy who thought Tim Tebow could play quarterback is just to much to handle. Back that up with having Banner the accountant as head of all football decisions and you have a recipe for disaster.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add Brandon Weeden is still the quarterback.

Will the light of day ever shine on the Browns?

Astounding to me how billionaires and experienced football minds come up with such trash. You would think someone could figure out that to win consistently you have to have a championship caliber quarterback and a head coach who knows how to prepare a game plan, provide leadership and motivation.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

experienced football minds

I don't think Haslam or Banner qualify. Even being in the NFL as long as he has doesn't necessarily make Banner a football mind.

-Derek Jeter
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If it's not Saban, it's because Haslam and Banner won't give Saban the authority he wants.

Saban will be back in the NFL next year with someone, and he will have final say over their roster.

Legend
Legend
Let's see ...... we currently have the best personnel guy we have had in decades ....... and that includes the guy supposedly under consideration to be the "new guy" ......

and we know that it takes talent in the NFL to win .......

And the Browns are seen as having an up and coming level of talent ............

So let's tear it all up and start over with a guy who has failed in the past.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
My personal favorite is Banner.

I started a thread asking for the connection to Haslam. Two pages and not a single poster on here could come up with one.

What are his FOOTBALL qualifications? Apparently he was great with managing the cap and negotiating contracts. Cool. What are his FOOTBALL qualifications?

This smells like the NFL pulling some type of favor for Banner and getting Haslam to go along with it. Shame on Haslam. He's the one that ponied up a billion bucks but doesn't have the sack to say no to that crap. Get ready for some fun ownership. Almost makes me miss Lerner. At least with Lerner we'd get to see this team grow next year.

Our draft room might consist of Haslam, a truck stop owner, Banner, a bean counter, Lombardi, a 3 or 4 time failed personnel man who was one of a few people not asked by Modell to join them in Baltimore, and McDaniels, the coach who traded up for Tebow.

Color me excited.

And make no mistake...this ALL starts with Haslam. He's the head honcho.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

No doubt! I keep trying to remind myself not to get upset since nothing has actually happened yet, but it sure seems like signs are pointing to a very inept front office here.

-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
theres another college HC I like with West Virginia.. Dana Holgorsen. He's only been w/ them a couple years, but offensively he has done well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd delete that post, before you get ripped apart for how bad of a choice he'd be.

He might get fired from WVU, and you want him in the NFL?

Legend
Legend
i could care less if I get bashed for posting my opinion. lol.

Mangini got fired.. and we still brought him in..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/K

If Lombardi is our GM, I'm done with football,

If Lombardi is our GM we will be headed backwards again.

If Lombardi is our GM It will conferm to me, we have a Owner who is a lier and only says things to sell tickets.

If lombardi is our GM I will lose all respect & faith in our new owner,

Needless to say I'm tired of all this endless empty faith, just how long can we Browns fans "JUST BE PATIENT" or "WERE BATTELING HARD" talk time is over, dont believe it anymore.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

There are other possibilities of how the Browns’ new direction will unfold, but a Banner-Lombardi-McDaniels triumvirate is currently seen as the most realistic.

I've got no qualms with Banner, but bringing Lombardi and McDaniels here is enough to make me want to cut my heart out.

Quote:

This smells like the NFL pulling some type of favor for Banner and getting Haslam to go along with it.

Why in the Hell would the NFL owe Banner anything?

Now you're just looking for reasons.

Haslam wanted a businessman to help run his organization. How is that an unrealistic expectation for a guy who hasn't owned a professional sports franchise?

Here's a note from Philly.com:

web page

Quote:

[banner] But in his role as the team’s salary cap wizard and chief contract negotiator, Banner had a great deal of influence over many of those personnel decisions.

I think Banner had more say in personnel than people know. Does that mean he's totally qualified to do it here? We just don't know, but what I do believe is that he was far more than just a pencil-pusher in Philly.

That doesn't mean I'm good with Dumbardi and the dope that drafted Tim freakin' Tebow in the 1st round.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I've got no qualms with Banner, but bringing Lombardi and McDaniels here is enough to make me want to cut my heart out...

If Lombardi comes here - even for a latte and a chat - I'll have a LOT of qualms with Banner.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
honestly, if Saban makes the jump back to the NFL this offseason and the Browns cannot have him, then I'm rooting for him to go to Carolina.

for one, he gets to stay in the South.

but, the fun part is that he'd be coaching the last QB that owned his squad: Cam Newton. Auburn fans would be up in arms

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

but a Banner-Lombardi-McDaniels triumvirate is currently seen as the most realistic

Also one of the most terrifying. I'd rather have Shurmur, The Walrus, and Heckert instead of these three buffoons.

Hey Tony, stop reading our boards. Come up with your own fancy words!

N
Legend
Legend
N
of the college spread systems, I agree that Holgorsen's (same one that Weeden ran w/ him and then w/o him at OkieState) is the one that seems the most ready to make the jump to the NFL level.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Let's wait and see....

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm hoping Lombardi is just a smokescreen. Maybe their guy is working in another organization as a player/personnel guy and this was just a bone thrown by Jimmy and Banner to keep attention away from the real guy.

Have Lombardi and Banner worked together before? Where is this connection?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All i can say is i hope that article is a joke because if Lombardi and/or McDaniels are brought in i may just give up NFL football after 46 years.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Have Lombardi and Banner worked together before? Where is this connection?

From the article above:

The smooth-talking NFL Network analyst has fostered a relationship with Banner since working for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1997-98. Lombardi, who was Bill Belichick’s first lieutenant in Cleveland after GM Ernie Accorsi left in 1992, was not invited by Art Modell to join the Ravens organization in Baltimore.

Former Eagles coach Ray Rhodes rescued Lombardi with a job in 1997. This was a dream opportunity for Lombardi, who was from the Philadelphia area, but it was lost when the Eagles named Tom Modrak director of football operations. There is a story that on Modrak’s first day on the job, he marched into Lombardi’s office still wearing his overcoat and told Lombardi to pack his belongings. That was the third of Lombardi’s four firings from NFL clubs.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt! I keep trying to remind myself not to get upset since nothing has actually happened yet, but it sure seems like signs are pointing to a very inept front office here.

x10

It took Lerner 8 years to finally fix the FO it may take Haslam 1 year to mess it up.
Shurmur was probably the biggest mistake Holmgren make and sadly us Browns fans may end up paying for that mistake for years.

I hope Haslam and Banner realise that new life long die hard fans of the Browns are probably on average older then them. The Browns have lost almost 2 decades of fan growth due to poor play and weak front office personal.

Both my kids are in their 20's and their interest in the Browns is fleeting at best and they dont waste any time on sundays watching the Browns except if someone has them on TV.

Personally I hope Grossi is wrong as usual.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
S
Legend
Legend
S
I've heard Grossi on WKNR a few times over the last couple of weeks, and he seems like he is making this seem true, because he has nothing else to go on. I don't think he has any inside with these new guys.

I'm not saying Lombardi can't happen, because we don't really know anything about Jimmy Haslam as an owner yet, but I just don't think this has as much legs as Grossi is making it out to be.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C
It's a pity really.
Since Al died,the Browns have been owned by the sons of self made billionaires,not by the guys that know how to make sound decisions.
Oh well,maybe in another 10 years the new buffoon will be selling the franchise.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Grossi: Sources Say No Saban, Banner/Lombardi/McDaniels Possible

Link Copied to Clipboard