Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Legend
Legend
N
Ugh. Very hopeful that it's just more poo flinging.

Lombardi as GM
McDaniels as HC
Mallet as QB

Ugh. Double, no Triple-Ugh.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Obviously McDaniels knows Mallet.

And Lombardi probably fell in love w him while doing research on walterfootball...

My LORD, how on EARTH are these scenarios concocted?????

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
I think it's worth pointing out that Lombardi has been very critical of Heckert and the Weeden pick.

That could have been just posturing for a job too.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Banner not confirming or denying anything. Will move 'quickly' once season ends.

My guess, within the week after the season ends, the entire coaching staff will be gone as well as Heckert. I know, really taking a leap there.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
New line of thinking: Which teams will have GM openings? Carolina, San Diego, & Kansas City spring to mind.

Not sure if someone can find out, but what if Heckert won't be granted the level of power he wants ANYWHERE?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Which team has new fan openings? I sure as hell wont be rooting for an ass like McDaniels and a bigger ass in Lombardi. We will have Mangenius and Kokopuffs 2.0

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

New line of thinking: Which teams will have GM openings? Carolina, San Diego, & Kansas City spring to mind.

My money is on Carolina. Just a rumbling here or there and a "gut feeling" lead me to that speculation.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Legend
Legend
C
Except Mangini had no one to keep him in check. He had full control over everything. McDaniels, if hired, would have an owner, CEO, and GM above him to keep him in check.

How is that like Mangini and Kokinis?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
It is a REALLY bad mental picture, Mourg...

Would each one of them bring a big-board to the war room? Would coin flips and darts be involved?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I think it's worth pointing out that Lombardi has been very critical of Heckert and the Weeden pick.

That could have been just posturing for a job too.

Everyone who evaluates drafts must be posturing for a job with us because pretty much everyone hated that pick.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

My money is on Carolina. Just a rumbling here or there and a "gut feeling" lead me to that speculation.

ok, so what if Heckert goes to Carolina to be GM, Mangini takes the HC job there and brings Romeo in to be his DC. He keeps Chud OC but brings in Daboll for a lower level position coach.

Derek Anderson is already the backup QB, so then they just need to sign Braylon, Hillis, Quinn (for QB3) and a smattering of defensive ex-Browns and they will be on their way to the Superbowl!!!

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I might be able to deal with McDaniels as a head coach if he had someone like Heckert watching over, or I might be O.K. with Lombardi if we had a strong head coach that called the shots ala Bellicheck(sp). But I do not like Mcdaniels or Lombardi as a unit . They cannot draft and seem clueless relating to personell moves.

C
Legend
Legend
C
At least Lombardi would have prior experience working under an evil overlord (Al Davis), so he will be ready for Banner.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

At least Lombardi would have prior experience working under an evil overlord (Al Davis), so he will be ready for Banner.

Is that you, Mac?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...p-at-browns-job

Josh McDaniels would reportedly jump at Browns job

The Cleveland Browns are an improved team this season, but that improvement might not be enough to save the jobs of coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert.

New Browns CEO Joe Banner said Tuesday he would act swiftly in deciding the fate of both men after the season ends.

"I don't want to say if it's one day or two days or three days but I think it will be quickly," Banner said on a conference call to announce the hiring of Alec Scheiner as team president.

The million-dollar question is what comes next in Cleveland if the Shurmur and Heckert duo -- 9-22 over two seasons -- are jettisoned. The Boston Globe reported this week that Alabama head coach Nick Saban, Oregon's Chip Kelly and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels are on the radar. A source told The Plain Dealer that McDaniels, fired as coach of the Denver Broncos in 2010, would "jump at the chance" to coach the Browns.

With men in place in Cleveland still trying to do their jobs and win games, much of this chatter is premature. Banner isn't talking about tomorrow, not yet.

"I'm going to stick with the same answer," Banner said. "Starting to go down the path of speculating on these things is not going to be helpful at this point. We're still going to decide at the end of the season on the people that are here and that will lead to whatever the next steps are at that point."

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
If any of these rumors turn out to be true, the Haslam and Banner have some loose lips in the organization, which isn't a good thing at all!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c

In no way, shape or form do I want McDaniels here in any capacity.

Ryan Mallett on the other hand I think would be a great pick up. I wanted him in the 2011 draft.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
The 12th man could always use more supporters!

Legend
Legend
Wasn't Mallet the guy who reminded people of DA?

Brady is an amazing QB, but he will be 36 when next season starts. I would think that a really good backuop becomes more important as he gets older. I would think that it's easier to get injured at 36 than it is at 26.

I would also think that the Patriots could make a compelling case with Mallett (when his contract is up) to keep him if they really like him. wWho wouldn't want to take over the perfect offense with a coach renowned for being able to tailor his schemes to his talent?

We are also already missing our 2nd round pick next year, and I would assume that a former 1st rounder who hasn't been "dinged" ould still demand a 1st plus in a trade. How much should we give up?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Wasn't Mallet the guy who reminded people of DA?

yes, in college he threw full speed no matter how close the WR was to the LOS or how open he was. that WR knew the pass was coming in at 100mph.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
He was also a bit of a knucklehead, wasn't he?

Legend
Legend
Mallet was a third round pick.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saban is still option #1 for Haslam.

Might not get done. Saban might want more power than he'd get here, but he's option #1.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
I am not thrilled by the possible Lombardi/McDaniels hire. I expect that within 2 years the roster would be completely revamped (again) with considerably less talent and us being excited to eek out a 4-12 season while looking forward to "next year".

Quote:

I think this is all very plausible. Probably likely.

Honestly, I'd be ok with McDaniels. I am intrigued this time around by him.

Banner/Lombardi scare the crap out of me. Banner will probably trade Joe Thomas in the offseason because of his contract.

For a supposedly awesome business man, Haslam is in over his head and has been snowballed by a weasel just so he can own an NFL team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ugh.
Not interested in Mallet at all. I remember hearing rumblings that he might not even make the Pats roster this year. He was AWFUL in preseason.

I watched him quite a bit in college. He had moments of brilliance but too many "shake your head" moments to go along with it.

Take the bowl game against OSU. He led a great comeback and then threw a terrible pick in the redzone when it was pressure time. Game, set, match.

No thanks.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I mean, Jerry Jones in Dallas has said he'll be the GM. Why doesn't Banner do the same thing? Is it because he might not actually be planning to be the guy who does the GM's job? Or is that wrong because it doesn't jive with the board pessimists?

Or maybe he wants someone to take the brunt of the blame if the personnel decisions he makes stink. I believe that's called a patsy.

Look, I'd love to be optimistic about what I see coming up. I was looking forward to the season immensely after the draft in April. I was very optimistic when Haslam was rumored to be buying the team. This was tempered drastically when Banner was hired. But I still felt things were going in the right direction.

Then Lombardi's name came up. Followed by Banner's non-denial denials about Lombardi's chances at a job here. Then the stories speculating about all manner of scenarios where the team is blown up again.

Now individually these stories may be all flash with no substance. But all of them put together with what I see so far from the FO gives me a very queasy feeling. There's way too much smoke for there not to be a fire in the foreseeable future. I think the entire coaching staff will be fired along with Tom Heckert by the kickoff of the first playoff game. And I don't like that at all. That will lead to a total revamping of the roster and......here we go again.

I'm tired of being embarrassed when I wear my Browns gear. And all the moves that I believe may very well be less than a month away will only add to that.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm willing to wait a little while to see what happens between now and next Spring. (Do I really have a choice?). But I'm not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling. If that makes me a pessimist, so be it.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Couldn;t have been that awful if they let go of their other QB to clear Mallett to be number 2.

The guy performed in the toughest defensive division in college football. That has to be worth something. I'm not saying I'm ready to ditch Weeden but if for some reason we did get our hands on Mallett, I'd be very interested to see what he could do.

ALL that being said, I hope we stick with Weeden for this next yeat at least. Despite all grumblings, our offense has looked better under him than it has in years. And really, there's no real slam dunks coming out at QB this year as Barkley's stock plummeted this season.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I don't see that much difference between Weeden , and Mallett, other than age. Both have cannons for arms, both have zero mobility, and both have low completion %, and will take plenty of risks. Other than Mallett, playing in that system, not sure if he's much of an upgrade.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
You know what's about to happen,I know what's about to happen,anyone with half a brain can see what's about to transpire.
While I do like McDaniels,that's only because I know his old man,Banner and Lombardi calling the shots on draft day will be a disaster.
Oh well,in a few short years the Browns can become the Knoxville Knockedups.That will make the hillbillies happy.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I'm not totally dismissing McDaniel just because he failed in Denver. A lot of young guys got it wrong on the first shot and then became great coaches, and he's worked under the best. If he loves Mallet, that says a lot, although he's the dope who picked Tebow.
What worries me is Banner. All this talk is obviously coming from him, and it gives the impression he is running roughshod over Haslam. If I were Haslam, I would have already heard enough. Banner clearly wants to settle some sort of old score with Heckert, he was never considering keeping Shurmur and he is allowing - even fostering - rumors that his GM choice is a guy who has never drafted a single solid player from what I can tell. A guy who has been fired four times and no one likes. This is what Banner has contributed so far. Haslam should fire HIM.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

If Tom Heckert is let go, I will not be renewing my season tickets. From how this looks right now, there is no plan in place, there is no clear decision maker, and we may end up with a businessman having a say in draft decisions. Jimmy Haslam has already made his biggest mistake: Letting Holmgren leave and hiring Banner.

Is there anybody in the world that would rather see a football organization run by the likes of Banner and his cronies than Holmgren and Tom Heckert?

Don't fool yourselves guys, this is a complete disaster. Mark my words: Banner and every guy he hires will all be fired within 3 years. I'm 100% sure of it.

Rooting for the Browns has turned out to be a huge waste of time and money. I cannot believe these idiots are going to get rid of Heckert to bring in the likes of Lombardi and McDaniels.

A complete disaster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C

If Tom Heckert is let go, I will not be renewing my season tickets. From how this looks right now, there is no plan in place, there is no clear decision maker, and we may end up with a businessman having a say in draft decisions. Jimmy Haslam has already made his biggest mistake: Letting Holmgren leave and hiring Banner.

Is there anybody in the world that would rather see a football organization run by the likes of Banner and his cronies than Holmgren and Tom Heckert?

Don't fool yourselves guys, this is a complete disaster. Mark my words: Banner and every guy he hires will all be fired within 3 years. I'm 100% sure of it.

Rooting for the Browns has turned out to be a huge waste of time and money. I cannot believe these idiots are going to get rid of Heckert to bring in the likes of Lombardi and McDaniels.

A complete disaster.

That's frustration talking.. what if they hire what you feel is a solid GM and HC and Coaching Staff? Will you keep your Season ticks then?

By the way, I get your frustration.. I think we mostly all are frustrated and tired of all the changing and not allowing these kids to grow together with consistent leadership.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

From how this looks right now

Muni, I too feel your frustration. The key is in what you said - how it looks NOW. With all the smoke there's usually fire, but I'm going to wait these next few weeks to see what happens. Being an optimist (maybe an idiot as a Browns fan!), I'm going to continue to wait to see what the decision makers - whomever they may be - actually do moving forward.

Right now it's all speculation.

-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C

A complete disaster.

While I understand what you're saying, I just don't see why you and so many other people are ready to quit be a fan or stop going to games over a front office decision.

Need I remind you, the record under MH and TH is terrible. There's no guarantee this team even gets better next year if they were staying. And even if the whole front office and coaching staff is new, that doesn't mean we'll be worse.....again, we have been "turrible" for quite a while.

And one more thing, if a guy spends the kind of money JHaslam has spent, he should be allowed to hire or fire anyone he wants.

I'm along for the ride regardless. The Browns are my team and they'll always be. And really, it's just professional football.....about as meaningless as anything can be. I just don't see why so many are on here recently proclaiming the end of their fandom.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Well, maybe you'd feel differently if you were the one plunking down $900+ to watch this mess year-after-year.

I don't think most will stop being fans. They'll just stay home and watch on TV (if there's nothing better to do at least... ) However, I don't blame anybody who decides they've had enough and aren't willing to directly pay for yet another rebuild.

I may be one of those people. I almost didn't renew THIS season. If things look like they're going to get blown up badly enough, I may take the advice of a poster on this board: save my money and buy the best HD TV I can afford and watch from the comfort of my family room.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

save my money and buy the best HD TV I can afford and watch from the comfort of my family room.

I did this 2 years ago and never looked back

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well, maybe you'd feel differently if you were the one plunking down $900+ to watch this mess year-after-year.

Well, I'm shelling out close to $2,500 on two Bears season tickets and parking. And while the Bears record has been a lot better, they've been almost as disappointing as the Browns (7-1 start this year then going 1-5 which will cost the a playoff spot - AND essentially doing the same thing last year).

At least for me, I can sell my tickets above or at face.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Then you get my point. I have a hard time GIVING away Browns tickets.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

f Tom Heckert is let go, I will not be renewing my season tickets.

I think that TH has done a nice job as our GM. I would like him to stay but if he leaves it is not the end of the world. He is not the only GM who can help turn the Browns into a winning franchise. And he might not be a good fit with the new HC.

I think we can be safe in saying Shurmur is gone. Presuming that is true, what happens if we bring in a HC who runs a 3-4 defense? TH is absolutely wonderful at finding players for the 4-3 defense but he is significantly less proficient at doing that for a 3-4.

Another issue is the ability to identify QB talent. He has never demonstrated a knack for finding Qb's. In Philly, how much was he involved in the Vick signing? He certainly was high on Kolb. Then here we have McCoy and Weeden. How much of these picks were on Holmgren? Who knows. And there was the lack of trading up for RGIII. How much of that was on him vs Holmgren? Again, we will never know. And until we get a good QB that fits the offensive system we run, we will never be perennial winners. I do have some question as to whether or not Heckert is the guy to do that.

Now if we fire TH and replace him with Lombardi then I will support you 100% in the selling of your season tickets.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Grossi: Sources Say No Saban, Banner/Lombardi/McDaniels Possible

Link Copied to Clipboard