Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Legend
Legend
C
David Shaw just signed an extension with Stanford.

Link

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am watching Seattle and what a great young team they are. Carol did an excellent job drafting and adding quality FAs to fill the holes. That team should be good for a few years. Oh btw they had the same level of crappy talent we had when Pete took over.....at the same time H/H did.

There is no exercise for this team to be this bad three years after they began "rebuilding" the roster. I'll say it again I'm not saying I want Heckert gone, but I can understand if JJ decides to cans him. You simply don't get three years of being this bad anymore, and you have to be able to find quality FAs to fill holes......H/H couldn't do that (see Young).

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Biggest difference between the 2 teams this year is that they found a rookie QB who could come in and produce at a high level and we didn't.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Biggest difference between the 2 teams this year is that they found a rookie QB who could come in and produce at a high level and we didn't.

And they tailored their offenses to help the rookie QB perform at a high level.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
........and Carol has built a dominate defense......and he signed an elite RB......and he signed/drafted quality WRs.......and he built a well rounded OL.

Sorry as much as I have bagged on Weeden he isn't the difference between them and us....talent overall is.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Their defensive backfield is better than ours (theirs is one of the best in the NFL). We have a pretty good Rb that we don't utilize, Oline, Wr, Dline and Lb's are equivalent.

Their rookie QB is performing at a high level and ours is not. I agree with YTown that a lot of that is their coaching staff structuring an offense to exploit the QB's strengths.

The other deference is the defensive philosophy on whole. We are a sit back read and react defense whereas they are an attacking in your face I am going to score defense. Again this is a coaching philosophy difference.

So 3 coaching philosophy differences - Qb, Rb, def. With the only real talent difference being with the defensive backfield

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Great post. People just don't get it ...talent level overall is very similar amongst most NFL teams.

The difference is QB, coach, culture, and attitude. Thats it folks.

It sounds like Haslam is going to be the guy to fix the culture and attitude.

Let's hope he picks the right coach and QB.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I don't think its unfair to say that the experience Seattle has at the offensive skill positions (outside of QB) gives them a decided advantage when compared to ours. The talent level may be similar, but the level of experience is night and day. Outside of Ben Watson, we're marching out a bunch of rookies and first-year players.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You wann compare S.Rice to Gordon? or Lynch to TRich? lol

As good as Gordon's rook year has been, he's not an above AVG no1 yet, he has that ceiling, sure, but the route he took yesterday in the game near the GL was a good example that he's still extremely raw and still has to learn HOW to run routes and read coverages before we hail him king. If we had a Wayne or S.Rice running that route, that would have been an easy TD, as Weeden was throwing to the open spot in coverage but Gordon never read and adjusted to it and he had a bad game overall, Champ Bailey owned him all day

Can we please go back to the expectations thread BEFORE the season? Weeden had an all rook team to work with (4 rook starters at VERY important positions) and pretty much everyone on here said we'd gonna win 5 games max. Everybody laughed when Vegas put our O/U at 5.5 season wins, but they were spot on and considering HOW those W/L played out overall this season was a SUCCESS, but somehow those expectations took a leap for some during the season because the young talent "flashed"....it still takes time and experience for puppies to grow into dogs, you know?

The fickleness of this board is ashaming, yeah let's throw away our 1st round QB after 14.5 games, draft another one high, watch him see struggle through the same and call for his head in 12 months because he doesn't have a 2:1 TD/INT ratio and 7.5-8yds/PA and he makes "stupid mistakes" every now and then

Let's fire all our coaches that taught those same young guys HOW to be Pros in this league and kept the team together and fighting hard despite a rough and heartbreaking 0-5 start to the season. Hand them a new playbook, let them learn new terminology....I'm sure THAT will make them better

That's the kind of Xmas present every angry Brownsfan wants at this time of the year. Who doesn't see that this roster and team is different from past's, I guess I can't force them to, but I know what I see and that's a team and roster worth keeping together another season and work under the same systems (and most coaches) for another year. We're 5-5 in our last 10 and have a chance to sweep the Steelers for the 1st time in a long time

Merry Christmas to all Brownsfans

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Quote:

I don't think its unfair to say that the experience Seattle has at the offensive skill positions (outside of QB) gives them a decided advantage when compared to ours. The talent level may be similar, but the level of experience is night and day. Outside of Ben Watson, we're marching out a bunch of rookies and first-year players.

I don't disagree about the experience thing, but the comment was about talent and not experience. Even talent needs time to mature. I understand that. I just really despise the "no talent" comment. It's an easy out to explain losses. It may have applied to many Browns teams since '99, but it doesn't apply to this one.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Dj, you are one of a few people on here who I count on to be objective and to learn from. You're starting to get with Weeden like Toad is with Richardson. You are becoming Toad.

For starters, when I wrote my comment about Haslam finding the right QB and coach, I wasn't automatically dismissing Weeden. You don't need to get your panties in a wad. My assumption is Weeden will be in the mix, but a decision WILL BE made on him. He's not a sure automatic. If Haslam and Banner think Weeden is the guy, then I hope they are right. I won't be heartbroken going into next year with Weeden. I'd like to see what we can do with a coach who plays to his players strengths and doesn't force a system on them.

As to the rest of your post, calm down buddy. It's the holidays.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You're 100% right. The talent level between NFL teams is close.

Sure teams have different talent levels, but it's not a wide gap as people like to think.

The difference comes from QB play and coaching.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

If Haslam and Banner think Weeden is the guy, then I hope they are right.

This is what makes me most uneasy about the direction the team seems to be taking; non-football guys - guys who don't know any more about player evaluation that some of the posters here - making football decisions.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How do you know who is going to be making the football decisions?

This doom and gloom, when we don't know anything yet is irritating.

D
Legend
Legend
D
First of all, I was responding to what Rish said about Haslam and Banner deciding on Weeden. Second, did you not hear Banner say he would have final say on personnel moves? I don't know that this will be the case, but it seems to be the direction. Haslam has a billion legitimate reasons to want to be involved, but ideally, there would be a qualified personnel guy making decisions on talent.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Second, did you not hear Banner say he would have final say on personnel moves?

What I heard Banner say is that he favors the head coach having final say on personnel moves, but that could change depending on who is hired for what position.

I recall some people spreading doom-and-gloom over Banner being hired as Team President because of his lack of experience in that role...only to see Banner hire Sheiner as Team President.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I do know there's a ton of fear right now driving thoughts and decisions that aren't based on any facts whatsoever.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Can we please go back to the expectations thread BEFORE the season? Weeden had an all rook team to work with (4 rook starters at VERY important positions) and pretty much everyone on here said we'd gonna win 5 games max. Everybody laughed when Vegas put our O/U at 5.5 season wins, but they were spot on and considering HOW those W/L played out overall this season was a SUCCESS, but somehow those expectations took a leap for some during the season because the young talent "flashed"....it still takes time and experience for puppies to grow into dogs, you know?

Sure, it's in the archive forum. But you're taking one single thing mentioned, Wins and Losses, and forgetting that thread has more than just W's an L's.

I do believe Weeden will get a reprieve simply do to the fact there is no Luck or RG3 in this draft and any high draft pick at the QB position wouldn't be any less of a gamble than moving forward with Weeden.

Quote:

The fickleness of this board is ashaming, yeah let's throw away our 1st round QB after 14.5 games, draft another one high, watch him see struggle through the same and call for his head in 12 months because he doesn't have a 2:1 TD/INT ratio and 7.5-8yds/PA and he makes "stupid mistakes" every now and then

Sometimes I agree with you about that. Like Toading saying "We don't have anything to base fear on". Yet Banner has a long history of not being willing to pay for high priced FA's or re-sign players to big contracts. He has that old school mentality in that department and you can look at Seattle and see just how critical their development was when adding key, experienced FA's. Of course you don't build a team with FA's but if you expect to win, you certainly plug in some good ones here and there to compete and win until you can fill those positions via the draft. But let's ignore all of his history and pretend it doesn't exist.

Quote:

Let's fire all our coaches that taught those same young guys HOW to be Pros in this league and kept the team together and fighting hard despite a rough and heartbreaking 0-5 start to the season. Hand them a new playbook, let them learn new terminology....I'm sure THAT will make them better

Most every time a new owner or FO takes over a team, there are wholesale changes. I'm not predicting that will happen, but the odds heavily favor that it will. It's simply the nature of the beast. I don't really have a horse in the race here as to who I would favor as a new HC, but let me pose this to you.

You just spendt 1 billion plus dollars on an NFL franchise. Now without giving excuses as to the youth he has to work with and just looking at Shurmer alone........... Based solely on game day coaching, playcalling and half time adjustments, tell us and show us the improvements Shurmer has made over his two seasons as HC here?

When you are an employer with a huge investment, you weigh out your decisions on your employees based on the pluses and minuses. I don't doubt that the youth he has had to work with will be one factor that has to be taken into consideration, but I feel Haslam will be looking for some signs of vast improvement over the course of Shurmers two years as HC, abilities as a leader and his development as a HC.

What are the things you can give us on the plus side in his progress over these two years as a HC? While I'm not one who would be kicking and screaming if they kept Shurmer, considering the fact I simply don't think this HC has really developed much, if at all on game day, I wouldn't be opposed to Haslam making a "positive change" there.

Quote:

That's the kind of Xmas present every angry Brownsfan wants at this time of the year. Who doesn't see that this roster and team is different from past's, I guess I can't force them to, but I know what I see and that's a team and roster worth keeping together another season and work under the same systems (and most coaches) for another year.

As far as the raw talent we have at WR and RB along with a fairly strong D overall, I agree that wholesale changes aren't really something we need to see when it comes to the roster. However, if you really buy into the hype that our G's ca run block, well, I feel for you in that department. We do however have enough needs and weaknesses that I could logicly see some turnover and a need for key changes.

Quote:

We're 5-5 in our last 10 and have a chance to sweep the Steelers for the 1st time in a long time

If you look at the Steelers, even last week against the Bengals, they are not the power house they were and most certainly not the offensive dynamo of years past. That's just a fact. Would I revel in the fact we swept the Steelers? Of course I would! But I would also do it with the understanding that we did not beat the Steelers of old, we beat the Steelers who are simply getting old and not producing to the level of years past.

We have gotten to the point we can beat some of the cellar dwellers, but usually in very close games and when we did beat the Steelers with their 3rd string QB. Let's be realistic here. They squeeked by KC in week 10 by 3 points and have been 1-5 since then. Considering the facts of the matter, not only do we have a shot of sweeping the Steelers, we SHOULD sweep the Steelers! Don't you think?

Quote:

Merry Christmas to all Brownsfans

I hope you have a Merry Christmas too. Oh and BTW- when you look at that prediction thread, look at how many people also mentioned the main thing most of us were looking for during the season was a "marked and gradual improvement" and tell us how that fits into what you're saying here. Because when you have such a young team, that's what you really expect to see. Not so much W's and L's.

I predicted 5 wins. But I predicted by the end of the season this team would be very much improved. And just because we squeeked by a few cellar dwellers late in the season and throttled KC with the great Brady Quinn at the helm, I don't really see that huge improvement over the course of the season I expected. Consistancy....

I do believe in continuity if I see growth. I am also a firm believer that if it is broke, fix it. If it's broke and you don't fix it, all you end up doing in creating redundancy in failure and calling it continuity.....

There is a stark contrast in the two.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I am watching Seattle and what a great young team they are. Carol did an excellent job drafting and adding quality FAs to fill the holes. That team should be good for a few years.

Comparing the two teams this season...the biggest difference...the Browns have had a huge cloud of uncertainty hanging over the team, since Haslam bought controlling interest from Lerner.

Everyone in the organization knew they were working/playing for a team and owner who was likely going to rip the team apart with changes in the front office, coaching staff and down to the players themselves.

...from Aug 2nd forward, no one working for the Browns could be certain that they would be with the Browns after the 2012 season.

After Lerner and Haslam finalized the deal, Holmgren and Heckert made it clear they wanted to finished the 5yr rebuilding program that he and Heckert started in 2010.

But shortly after the NFL approved the sale of the Browns, Haslam announced that Holmgren was fired effective after the season and Banner would be taking over as President of the Browns and the football side of the team would be reporting to Banner.

Banner had a history that he himself created by his actions in his 19 yrs with Eagles and Banner "had never" been in charge of the football side of the Eagles while there. That move by Haslam was a head scratcher for many with knowledge of Banner's past but it also created a level of uncertainty for Browns that no other team in the NFL faced in 2012.

The Seattle Seahawks have not faced any of the negatives that come with this level of "change".

The 2012 season should have been a year of "positive, stable" development and progress for this very young, inexperienced Browns team. But the 2012 season turned into a year uncertainty, especially for the coaches and players.

Since 1999, the Browns franchise has been nothing more than "a toy" that rich billionaires play with for a while, never finishing anything they start.

Many believe change is good...but they are wrong !

No franchise can be successful with the level of change that the expansion Browns have faced since 1999.

In early August, Jimmy Haslam said he had identified "change" as one of the major reasons for the Browns lack of success since 1999. Haslam had done the math and found that the Browns change head coaches ever 2.8 yrs.

But, as we Browns fans know, it's not just the head coaching changes that have doomed the Browns. I did my own research and found that the Browns change GMs and President/CEO about as often as we change HCs. The changes in these leadership positions lead to front office changes, scouting dept changes, personnel changes, offensive and defensive coaching changes.

While Haslam was critical of those owners before him, he too is going step in and do exactly what previous owners have done...usher in a new round of changes for our Browns...kind of ironic...pot meet kettle.

Haslam said the one thing he learned in his three years as a minority owner with the Steelers is the importance of consistency in coaching, and how much it sets you back when you're always making a changes.

Haslam went on to say when a team changes coaches, it can be a three- or four-year deal to get back.

I seriously doubt that Browns fans are going to be patient for another 3 or 4 years.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Serious question, Mac: if you were Haslam would you keep Shurmur?

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have a team full of rookies making rookie mistakes and whenever it occurs, Shurmur takes the blame. If I am Haslam, I make no changes for 2013 and I allow Shurmur to finish his contract which was for 3 years.

Players wanting to bitch about playcalling is no reason to fire a head coach. Players have always bitched and moaned about playcalling and they always will.

My only fault with Shurmur is that he has allowed Cribbs and others to take shots in the press. He is a players coach and he has let it slide well not starting Richardson might have been a bit of a message to the team but I would not activate anyone running their mouth in the press and probably suspend them for a game.

You change coaches if the team lacks discipline, doesnt give effort, is no longer competitive, doesnt show improvement, if the coach is making really dumb mistakes.

This team is disciplined and they give great effort every week. WE have been competitive in all but one or two games. We have made consistent improvement. Shurmur not calling timeout in game 1 last year and punting in Indy are the only really dumb decisions to point out in 2 years.

Shurmur took over a Horrible offensive line, horrible QB play, no run game, worst receivers in the league, the defense was just as bad in that we couldnt stop the run and our secondary was a disaster.

Right now we have a top 3 pass blocking OL and at worst mid level run blocking. Gordon Little combo looks like something great for years to come and to not give these coaches credit for turning these kids around is just crazy. Run game will come. Weeden has had his ups and downs but we have seen improvement. Defense is almost there and I mean really, really close.

These kids improved because of this staff not in spite of them. We wanted improvement and we got it. It may not be fast enough for some but the foundation is laid. The team concept has been established and folks the attitude of this team needed as much of an overhaul as the talent.

Romeo's first year team went 7 and 9 and it was a 1 win caliber team. Bad players bad coaching but they got some lucky bounces. It was fools gold and few wanted to see it.

This team feels more like a wildcard caliber team. No we aint good enough to beat a Denver team hitting on all cylinders but I think we can hold our own against 3/4 of the league. Eliminate 2 or 3 rookie mistakes per game and we are fighting with the Bengals for a Wildcard spot this year. Not coaching mistakes just the rookie mistakes.

Giving this staff one more year is not only the smart thing but it is the right thing.

Legend
Legend
History shows that just because someone wins a few games towards the end of a season (Mangini) that doesn't mean you should give them another year.

I think barring something outrageous, Shurmurs fate has been sealed since he punted in Indy.

5-11 is far from outrageous. Even if they did start 0-5.

We have talent here. Bring in the right guys and it shouldn't take 4 years to be competitive.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
OK ... here's a theory I haven't seen floated before .......

Childress or Jauron could replace Shurmur - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com
http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x6562098...OBR+Newswire%29

Three wise men? Three nice guys? Three blind mice?

Three key men on the bubble seem not to know exactly how Jimmy Haslam and his generals view them as the Browns’ season heads into the dark void.

Nearly everyone outside their bubble assumes at least Pat Shurmur will be gone, and that coordinators Brad Childress and Dick Jauron will be at the mercy of the next head coach, if they don’t choose to leave on their own.

The gravity of the situation was reflected in Childress’ response to how rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden’s season went.

“Just like the season, some good, some bad,” he said. “I wish I could tell you it ended on a real, real high note. I sure wouldn’t characterize what happened in our last game as a real high note ... for any of us.”

NFL life can be funny for men like Childress, in nonhumorous ways. In January of 2010, he was one play from being the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings in a Super Bowl against Peyton Manning’s Colts. As 2012 melts away, he is offensive coordinator on a team that fell to 5-10 with a blowout loss to Manning’s Broncos.

“We don’t even spend time worrying about it,” Childress said. “What’ll end up happening will end up happening.”

Dick Jauron could never quite get over the hump as head coach in Buffalo. His Bills were 7-9 in 2006, 7-9 in 2007 and 7-9 in 2008. Now he is defensive coordinator of a Browns team that must win at Pittsburgh to be 6-10.

“I wouldn’t say I don’t worry about the future,” Jauron said, “but my mom used to talk about worrying a great deal, and she always taught me that the worrying was not worth the effort.”

There is a wild-card possibility not talked about much, if only because it seems like such a long-shot. It’s not a long-shot if owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner see it as viable.

That would be dismissing Shurmur as an acknowledgment that his 9-22 record begs a response, but promoting either Childress or Jauron to the head coaching job based on a conclusion that a good foundation has been laid and requires continuity.

Childress, 56, might be less a long-shot because of his age and his flirtation with a Super Bowl as a head coach. He is two years older than Marvin Lewis, who has the Bengals in the postseason for the third time in four years.

As head coach of the Vikings, Childress was 6-10 in 2006, 8-8 in 2007, 10-6 in 2008 and 12-4 in 2009. He was fired 10 games into the 2010 season.

Jauron, 62, posted records of 6-10, 5-11, 13-3, 4-12 and 7-9 as head coach of the Bears from 1999-2003. He was 24-33 as head coach of the Bills when he was dismissed nine games into the 2009 season.

Nothing either Childress or Jauron has said has hinted even remotely that they thirst for Shurmur to be out of their way. Yet, one of them staying as head coach might be the only way either of them does.

“If things are able to stay static,” Childress said, “I think we can make a huge jump next year.”

But ...

“We’re in such an immediate-gratification world,” Childress said. “It’s hard to preach patience.

“It ends up being the owner’s choice ... how he wants to do things. He certainly has that prerogative.”

Jauron said “the good news” for the Browns’ defense is that it has a deep young roster of good players, which “should bode well for the future.”

“The bad news,” Jauron said, “is that there weren’t nearly as many wins as we would have liked.”

The defense has been better than the offense in Shurmur’s two years as head coach.

This year’s offense is ranked 27th in yards and 23rd in points. The defense is ranked 24th in yards allowed and 19th in points allowed.

There are long stories behind all of the numbers, but it boils down to Shurmur’s time being short to the extreme of the Pittsburgh game being his last.

Shurmur has made it clear he thinks he has advanced the team reasonably well in trying circumstances. Just as clearly, he understands he might be looking for work very soon.

“We came into a less than ideal situation,” he said. “I’m proud of the work the guys I hired did.

“We have not won enough football games, and I know that’s the way this thing works. But in our situation I see improvement.

“The rest of that is a discussion for after we play Pittsburgh.”

However this shakes out, it will be a lively discussion.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Childress had better success as a coach than people like to give him credit for. Not saying he's great, but his QB's were not anything special.

2006 : 6-10 w/ Brad Johnson/Tavaris Jackson
2007 : 8-8 w/ Tavaris Jackson/Brooks Bollinger/Kelly Holcomb
2008 : 10-6 w/ Gus Fereotte
2009 : 12-4 w/ Brett Favre
2010 : 3-7 before getting fired w/ Brett Favre

Given what he had to work with at the Quarterback position, it's not a TERRIBLE resume.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For the record, I can't see this even being a possibility. But I think the board, in general, would love the move it it happened.

It keeps the same group together, but gets rid of Shurmur and his terrible game day decisions.

Won't happen, but I can't say I'm against the idea.

Legend
Legend
I would guess that Childress could, at the very least, get an interview if Shurmur is dumped.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I would guess that Childress could, at the very least, get an interview if Shurmur is dumped.

I agree with you there. I think they have to look at the people in the building first before going to outside people. As long as no one named Ryan gets an interview I guess I would be happy.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Childress had better success as a coach than people like to give him credit for. Not saying he's great, but his QB's were not anything special.

Didnt he have a pretty good running back?

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In 2006, his running back was Chester Taylor.

2007, a rookie Adrian Peterson and won 8 games.

2008, won 10 games

2009, won 12 games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not saying he's great, but if you look at his 6 win teams roster, you'd be amazed.

It makes this roster look like a Pro-Bowl roster.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

In 2006, his running back was Chester Taylor.

2007, a rookie Adrian Peterson and won 8 games.

2008, won 10 games

2009, won 12 games.

Humm almost like............Never mind.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
The article got me a llittle curious. I might be onboard with Childress depending on who the O-coordinator would be. But I also thought about who might fit the mold of what Banner looked for when he was a part of the Andy Reid hiring and also a guy who might not totally blow everything up.So looking at different teams that are having success this year I noticed Seattles OC Darrell Bevell who was also an OC under Childress. I know almost nothing about him but he would seem to be a guy that fit the mold ( at least age and experience wise) of what they looked for when Reid was hired. I am not saying I want this guy, just throwing it out there.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Cleveland -- When Browns new owner Jimmy Haslam arrived this season and essentially replaced Mike Holmgren with former Eagles president Joe Banner as team CEO, the countdown to further change began in Cleveland. Next week, both head coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert are expected to depart, and there has been plenty of early speculation about their successors.

For weeks, the reported leading candidate for the Browns GM job has been Mike Lombardi, the former Raiders personnel executive and current NFL Network analyst. Lombardi was hired by Banner as a personnel consultant in Philadelphia in 1997, and once worked for the Browns personnel department in the team's Bill Belichick era in the early '90s.

League sources say Lombardi is definitely on Cleveland's short list, but may not be the lock for the position that some are assuming. The other half of the Lombardi candidacy could be tied to Josh McDaniels, the current Patriots offensive coordinator who is seen as a potential package deal with Lombardi, with Cleveland giving him a second shot at head coach after his failed tenure of less than two years in Denver (2009-2010).

McDaniels is an Ohio native and is said to be eager to erase the blemish of his Broncos firing. But he's also wary of choosing poorly in his second NFL head coaching opportunity, and is hesitant to go anywhere if he doesn't think he has a quarterback he can win with and build around. It is not thought McDaniels has had sufficient time yet to study Browns rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden's game, and if New England makes a deep playoff run, his availability might not jive with Cleveland's timetable.

There's also a chance New England gets proactive in an attempt to keep McDaniels around as an eventual replacement for head coach Bill Belichick, a move the Kraft family could dangle as enticement to stay put. Some sources say McDaniels' interest in the Browns has been overstated in the media, because he feels he already has the best assistant coaching job in the NFL, working with Tom Brady and Belichick, and knows continued success will bring other head coaching opportunities.

Beside McDaniels, the remaining buzz on the big-name head coaching front centers on Haslam trying to lure Alabama's Nick Saban to town. Saban, a former Browns assistant under Belichick, is not thought likely to leave the college game this year, but history tells us he can't be completely ruled out. Like McDaniels, Saban has made it clear to those close to him that he won't go to a team unless he's convinced he has a winning quarterback, and it's not known if he considers Weeden to be a proven commodity at this point of his career.

Lombardi and Saban worked together in Cleveland, but some within the NFL are skeptical that a front office structure that includes Banner, Lombardi and Saban could lead to coexistence and cooperation in terms of final personnel say. The same could be true if McDaniels is the Browns' choice as coach, with one executive from a competing NFL club saying: "That's a lot of headstrong people in one front office, with Banner, Lombardi and McDaniels working together. I'm not sure why he'd jump at a situation with a convoluted structure like that."

If there's another GM candidate to keep track of in Cleveland's search it's David Caldwell, the current Atlanta Falcons director of player personnel. Caldwell has a college scouting background with a strong track record in the draft, and he's seen as one of the most knowledgeable and experienced prospects in the GM-to-be ranks.

SI.com

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Kind of an odd thing to say around here isn't it?

People claim you can't be a winner without a great QB. Yet now, someone tries to question someone who won 10 games without a great QB because they had a great RB?

Oh the irony.........

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Caldwell would certainly help soften the blow if Heckert is sent packing. He uses a nice balance of the draft and FA's to improve things.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Kind of an odd thing to say around here isn't it?

People claim you can't be a winner without a great QB. Yet now, someone tries to question someone who won 10 games without a great QB because they had a great RB?

Oh the irony.........

No offense, but please answer me this .....

How many Super Bowls has Adrian Peterson won?

Played in?

Playoff games won?

How many playoff games has Peterson even played in during his 6 season career?

Who was the QB during the Peterson's best year record-wise?

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's not really the point. The point is, the Vikings FO has had years now to put a real QB with Peterson.

People have also said you can't even be a playoff team or win our division without a great QB.

Well 10-6 would put us in the playoffs. We truely would be only a player or two away from being in a SB.

Can you honestly say that having a HC that could take this team to 10-6 without a good QB wouldn't be a major move in the right direction? He only had one real offensive weapon and led his team to 10-6.

Realisticly speaking I can't think of ANY NFL HC that can take a team to the SB and win these days with one offensive weapon.

As a matter of fact, if there are any HC's in the NFL that can lead their team to a 10-6 record with only one real offensive weapon, that's a very short list.

That's what cracks me up around here. Who else do you think we could get as a HC that has shown they can do so much with so little on their resume'?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
How can anyone even trust these 2 clowns if they even consider the likes of Lombardi, McDaniels and Saban...

at least it would be fun again, as all of them are as power hungry as Jimmy and Joe seem to be. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, doesn't it?

I'd trust a collection of draft nerds on this board more than those bums on draft weekend. McDaniels wasted 4 Top 50 picks and a high 3rd rounder combined on Tebow and CB Alphonso Smith not even Madden lets you do dumb stuff like this...and Lombardi? Well, did he ever draft a player worth a damn at any time? Combine those clowns with an over-anxious owner who thinks he knows more about football than he does and a capologist that finally gets to pretend to be a football guy and pick players too and who is on record saying that sometimes an outside "gut shot" view on draft day is a good thing and that he watches some highlight vids of 3rd day picks that scouts recommend to form an opinion...who isn't excited by this collective of competency?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I see what you're sayin' DJ but I've seen at least one or two that somehow think at least Banner is great and seems excited!

But of course that will be spun away at some later date.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

and Lombardi? Well, did he ever draft a player worth a damn at any time?

Um, yeah. He took a kicker 17th overall.

You know, given enough time I could probably talk myself into any new coach, but Lombardi to me is the absolute worst case scenario. He's been fired 5 times, is mocked by real-live NFL front office types, and isn't even the best talent evaluator at NFL Network.

I live in the Lions market, so I got toe see Matt Millen at his finest. I don't need to see the same level of work from MIke Lombardi with the Browns.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How can anyone even trust these 2 clowns if they even consider the likes of Lombardi, McDaniels and Saban...

Please tell me your thought process of putting Saban in the same category as McDaniels and Lombardi.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Grossi: Sources Say No Saban, Banner/Lombardi/McDaniels Possible

Link Copied to Clipboard