Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/K

I hope for god sake they do this quickly and please dont drag this circus around town for 2-3 weeks or longer, So much Drama alomst seems like my 13 year old daughter is running the media side of this team....If a head coach isnt going to come after the Super Bowl..Say it, We've been thru that move before, we all know how it works...man just be upfront and honest, Im sure there are some things you cant let out but please once the seasons over lets move on and right this ship....So tired of the lip service

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

How can anyone even trust these 2 clowns if they even consider the likes of Lombardi, McDaniels and Saban...

Please tell me your thought process of putting Saban in the same category as McDaniels and Lombardi.

I think Saban gets a bad rap for what happened on Miami.

He was seriously a Doctors note from signing Drew Brees (I don't believe ALL of the Katrina stories sucking Drew in, Miami could've offered him whatever he wanted) and its not like he had a horrible record over the two years there.

I just ink he figured out it wasn't going to work and got a (better) job at Alabama. Where he basically gets the cream of the crop. Part of the reason I never thought he'd leave.

If you brig in Saban. The GM position is nothing more than a nameplate. Find the best scouting guy that wants a bump in pay and have him find players for Saban.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In Drew Brees book, he mentions that he preferred Miami over New Orleans, and that the phone call with Saban was basically one of, "I wish I could sign you, but the doctors won't let me." and that's when he decided New Orleans was the only option for him.

Legend
Legend
Oh what could of been.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From Drew Brees' book....

Quote:

So Brees picked up the phone and called Saban, who told him the Miami team doctors believed Brees had a 25 percent chance to come back and be the same quarterback, or better, that he’d been before the shoulder surgery.

According to the book, Brees said to Saban: “Coach, I know what your doctors believe about me. My question is, what do you believe?”

Wrote Brees: “Nick Saban paused. That was really all I needed to hear. His pause told me everything. ‘Well, Drew,’ he said, ‘I would still love to have you, but I have to trust what our medical people are saying …’ He went on from there, like he was reading from a script. But I was starting to tune out. By then I had all the information I needed. I had made my decision.”

Brees told Saban thanks, and he’d be going to New Orleans, even though telling Saban that might kill his negotiating position with the Saints.

As Brees told me, “The impression I get from the Dolphins was I should feel lucky they were even looking at me. It just wasn’t a welcoming feeling.”

Link

Legend
Legend
I don't know of anyone who has said that you can't get into the playoffs without a great QB. Every year it seems as though a team with so-so QB play makes the playoffs, and if they have a great run game and a great defense, they might even make it to the Conference Championship game.

We don't know how this year will turn out yet, but with passing rules being opened up on a seemingly weekly basis, we can see how this impacts the Super Bowl. This year will probably see another pair of great QBs make it. In the previous 9, the QBs for both teams have been:

Tom Brady
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Kurt Warner
Rex Grossman
Matt Hasselbeck
Donovan McNabb
Jake Delhomme

There are some exceptions in there, like Grossman, but for the most part, great QBs drive their teams to the Super Bowl.

Can anyone even name any of the RBs for any of the teams in the past 8 or 9 Super Bowls? Go back more than a couple of years and I sure couldn't.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I don't want Saban, I don't want Lombardi and I don't want McD. All of them spell failure to me in one aspect or another. When the going gets tough, Saban's outta there, not Bobby Petrino gone, but close. Lombardi is just not good at the job he wants and McD is little Napoleon. A good coordinator, just don't let him have the reins.

Of course I didn't like Belichick when he was here (benched Bernie) and had I been a Pats fan I wouldn't have wanted him there, so take my opinion for what its worth...

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I liked Belichick ...... but McDaniels isn't Belichick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Can anyone even name any of the RBs for any of the teams in the past 8 or 9 Super Bowls?

Quote:

Tom Brady: Dillon, Lawfirm, Woodhead
Eli Manning: Jackson, Bradshaw
Aaron Rodgers: Grant, Starks
Ben Roethlisberger: Fast Willie, Bettis, Mendenhall
Drew Brees: Bush, Thomas
Peyton Manning: Addai, Rhodes
Kurt Warner: Wells, Edge James
Rex Grossman: Thomas Jones, Benson
Matt Hasselbeck: Shuan Alexander (MVP)
Donovan McNabb: Westbrook
Jake Delhomme: Stewart, Williams

The only two I had to look up are Starks and Rhodes. I could remember THEM (kept putting down "Sparks") just not their names.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saban sucked as a HC every bit as bad as McDaniels, probably worse. We need to stop picking fruit from the Billicheck tree. Chop it down and build a bum fire cause the only thing it has produced is freaking bums.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Saban sucked as a HC every bit as bad as McDaniels, probably worse.

Someone forgot the purple font.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Saban sucked as a HC every bit as bad as McDaniels, probably worse. We need to stop picking fruit from the Billicheck tree. Chop it down and build a bum fire cause the only thing it has produced is freaking bums.

Sucked? Really? He has more wins in two years than some of our HCs would have in 3.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Stewart and Williams were still in high school when the Panthers were in the Super Bowl.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah.

Those were the DeShaun Foster and Stephen Davis days.

I only remember them cuz that was my Madden team back in the day, and I ran the ball about 60 times a game

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Sucked? Really? He has more wins in two years than some of our HCs would have in 3.

I honestly forgot how well he did... his second year he was killed by horrible QB play... and honestly if something as big as the Bama job didn't come calling I think he would have stayed at Miami and been pretty successful...

I'm ok with Saban, though don't think he's going anywhere... can't imagine he'd want to leave bama for cleveland unless he feels like he can't accomplish anything else in college and really wants to prove himself in the NFL.

I'm not a fan of McD at all... just comes across as a young punk to me.... maybe the Denver job has humbled him some... but again I think he'll get an opportunity in the NFL as a head coach, just not sure i want him in cleveland.

I want NO part of Lombardi... unless it's the trophy...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Stewart and Williams were still in high school when the Panthers were in the Super Bowl.

Crap.

I remembered they had the two head RB combo. Just brain farted and threw in the names I remembered.

I remember think Foster was ganna break out when he signed with another team. Never did.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Are we really crediting Raider picks to Lombardi? Do you think Al Davis was really letting someone else make the picks for him?

P
Legend
Legend
P
So let's get this straight YTown.......

So you're saying a HC who is only given one real O weapon to work with, going 10-6 with a mediocre QB is a good thing or a bad thing?

That's the only point I tried to make. I feel he did quite a bit of good under those circumstances. Nowhere did I indicate that you could be a SB winner without a good QB which seems to be your bone of contention here.

My point is he took a team without a legit. QB to a 10-6 record and I simply asked what HC candidate is out therte, that would be willing to come here to HC the Browns.

Then somehow you seemed to steer away from that discussion?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I Frankly I don't care about whether or not a coach can make us "good". We could bring back Marty and probably win 10 games every year, and lose in the playoffs in the first round.

I want a coach who can make a team great. Now whether or not that's Childress, or any of the other potential candidates, I just don't know. I don't think that it's Shurmur ...... so I am more than willing to make a change there. Could Childress be the right guy for the job ... or would a guy like Bruce Arians be better ...... or Mike McCoy ..... or Kyle Shannahan ... or even a guy like Brad Seely? (Who I have a lot of respect for, and who I think would make an excellent head coach)

One other thing that no one has thought of is that we could easily keep the defensive staff, and maybe even Childress as OC, and bring in a guy like McDaniels to be the head coach. He's not a WCO guy, so this is probably less likely, but it could be done. Look at what the Steelers did with Tomlin, who was a 4-3 guy before coming to Pittsburgh.

Without knowing what Haslam and Banner truly think, it's hard to discount any possibility. They could like the staff that's in place and dislike Shurmur as head coach. They could decide to stay the course. They could promote Childress or Jauron. I have no clue what they're gonna do. lol It's all speculation. When there's speculation, I sometimes like to play devil's advocate. It keeps me from going nuts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Are we really crediting Raider picks to Lombardi? Do you think Al Davis was really letting someone else make the picks for him?

I call it a black mark on his record, yes. I can't say that I know for sure who made the final call, but he was the personnel director at the time. Best case is he is a patsy who holds zero value to the organization cause he just catered to what the owner wanted. Sorry, still not interested.

But say I completely take out the Janikowski pick comment, the other stuff still holds up. What has he ever done to benefit an organization?

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Best case is he is a patsy who holds zero value to the organization cause he just catered to what the owner wanted. Sorry, still not interested.

This is the argument against Lombardi with the Raiders. There is no way Al Davis allowed anyone else to make the picks for him. Like everyone else I don't want Lombardi, but I don't hold his Oakland tenure against him. A front office gig in the NFL is a hard thing to come by, I can't blame Lombardi for taking that job even though he had no power.

Also, a couple weeks back there was an interesting article on Lombardi in the Boston Globe, here is one of things I found most interesting:

Quote:

One other plus for Lombardi: Despite technically being out of the NFL for five years, it’s one of the worst-kept secrets that he has been consulting for Belichick during that time.

“He still puts the game plans together for Bill Belichick,” Brian Baldinger, Lombardi’s NFL Network colleague, told 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland Friday.

“I see the stuff being used week in, week out. There’s no question that Bill uses the advanced scouting Mike delivers to him.”

It’s arguable how much Lombardi is actually involved with Belichick, who bounces ideas of assorted people outside the building. It’s an effort to stave off the type of groupthink that can sometimes consume and paralyze coaching staffs and personnel departments.

Legend
Legend
I have to admit that my favorite realistic candidate is Bruce Arians. (I would love to see Brad Seely get a shot, but I think that the Brown want a guy with specific experience on one side of the ball or the other) I think that Arians is an exceptional coach, and I hope that the Browns pursue him. He's also got leadership galore, as he showed this year in Indy.

Nate Ulrich of the Beacon Journal agrees.

Nate Ulrich: Bruce Arians deserves shot as head coach, Browns would be wise to pursue - Browns - Ohio
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/nate-u...pursue-1.361241

BEREA: If Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner do what most people expect them to do, they’ll fire coach Pat Shurmur not long after the season finale Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers and begin the process of formally interviewing candidates next week.

In the past month, multiple national reports have linked University of Alabama coach Nick Saban, University of Oregon coach Chip Kelly and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to the Browns’ anticipated vacancy. The list of names to watch also should probably include former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden, Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman and Jacksonville Jaguars defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

But of all the potential candidates, there might not be a hotter realistic option for the Browns than Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

After Colts coach Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia, the Colts announced Oct. 1 that Arians would serve as their interim coach. They were 1-2 coming off a bye and in danger of coming unglued, but Arians held them together despite their record of 2-14 last season and all the adversity they faced as Pagano began to fight for his life. Arians guided the Colts to a 9-3 record and a postseason berth in Pagano’s absence.

Banner has harped on how important it is for a head coach to possess desirable leadership qualities. Arians, 60, obviously isn’t lacking in that category, and now he has proof.

“You see what he does with offenses,” Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who played for Arians while he was an assistant for the Steelers, said this week during a conference call. “You see what he can do with a team like the Colts. No disrespect to a lot of the Colts’ players, but they’ve got a lot of guys that people probably haven’t heard of. They’re playing obviously with some motivation for Coach Pagano. But [Arians] knows how to motivate guys, and they want to play for him and he’s a players’ coach. He listens to what the assistant coaches and the players have to say. He’s not an ego guy, so I think all those tangibles can make him a good head coach.”

During Peyton Manning’s first three NFL seasons (1998-2000), Arians tutored him as the quarterbacks coach of the Colts. He then became the offensive coordinator of the Browns and was fired by former coach Butch Davis after the team went 5-11 in 2003 following a playoff appearance the previous season.

Arians, a former head coach at Temple University, went on to become the wide receivers coach of the Steelers (2004-06) before serving as their offensive coordinator (2007-11). He was part of three Super Bowl appearances, including two wins. In his current job, he helps direct rookie quarterback Andrew Luck.

Haslam bought a minority stake in the Steelers in 2008, so he’s familiar with Arians. And Banner has strong ties to Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson because they worked together for nine years with the Philadelphia Eagles. Grigson told the Indianapolis Star that Arians is “a no-brainer” for Coach of the Year.

Arians will certainly have more than one suitor. Here’s hoping that the Browns aggressively pursue.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

How can anyone even trust these 2 clowns if they even consider the likes of Lombardi, McDaniels and Saban...

Please tell me your thought process of putting Saban in the same category as McDaniels and Lombardi.

Ask any Dolphins diehard, he'll tell you

The one I know hated Saban as much as I hated Mangini. He also was the same style of HC going all College HC on some grown up men. Some respond to that boot camp mentality but you'll also lose half the locker room. A good HC's job is to MANAGE different characters into a team concept, not be Napoleon who wants soldiers to bang heads for his post game glory.

Also, Saban is 100% a 3-4 guy, so all the work of the past 2-3 drafts to build a young, "ok" defense with upside would have been wasted. He'd be a terrible hire in every aspect and best compares to Butch Davis....

Right now there's not one name out there rumored that doesn't have me go

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So. You wanna keep Shurmur?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

So. You wanna keep Shurmur?

I'd rather keep him than bringing in even 1 of the 3 rumored. If Chan Gailey, Herm Edwards and Romeo got 3 years +, so can Shurm.

My fav plan would be to "sacrifice" Shurm and promote from within OR just replace the HC (and Chilly if need be) from outside (former WCO OC), keeping Heckert, Jauron and the WCO concept intact for another season....those are my best case scenarios, so I'm not enamoured with Shurm or Chilly, but would give them anotehr year as I think the coaching did a good job developing this young roster and keep them together and motivated, that's not to be undestimated...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Best case is he is a patsy who holds zero value to the organization cause he just catered to what the owner wanted. Sorry, still not interested.

This is the argument against Lombardi with the Raiders. There is no way Al Davis allowed anyone else to make the picks for him. Like everyone else I don't want Lombardi, but I don't hold his Oakland tenure against him. A front office gig in the NFL is a hard thing to come by, I can't blame Lombardi for taking that job even though he had no power.

Also, a couple weeks back there was an interesting article on Lombardi in the Boston Globe, here is one of things I found most interesting:

Quote:

One other plus for Lombardi: Despite technically being out of the NFL for five years, it’s one of the worst-kept secrets that he has been consulting for Belichick during that time.

“He still puts the game plans together for Bill Belichick,” Brian Baldinger, Lombardi’s NFL Network colleague, told 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland Friday.

“I see the stuff being used week in, week out. There’s no question that Bill uses the advanced scouting Mike delivers to him.”

It’s arguable how much Lombardi is actually involved with Belichick, who bounces ideas of assorted people outside the building. It’s an effort to stave off the type of groupthink that can sometimes consume and paralyze coaching staffs and personnel departments.

Interesting. I did not see that. Thanks for sharing. I still don't like him even taking his Oakland stint out, but I get your point.

Last edited by Referee2; 12/30/12 07:04 AM.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
J/C

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on Arians. I know the majority of the board thought Arians was an idiot circa 2003. The board (where ever we were at that point) said he was horrible and couldn't wait to see him go. He moved on to the Steelers and had success. But, he was forced into "retirement" after last season. They thought that Bruce was holding back Big Ben and the O. How has that worked out for them?

Anyway, one of the few jobs open was with the horrific Colts. Arians has done a good job there.

Personally, I would most like to see us get a defensive minded HC who brings in a good OC.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Nothing will improve until we get a legit NFL QB....We have weapons right now but no Qb who knows how to use them, or put them into position to use them to thier strenghts,

I'd be ok with Ariens as Head Coach, he knows offence and hopefully how to call plays to Weedens strenghts, if we keep Weeden.

Hopefully Ariens or our next head coach understands what Dick Jaron has done for our defence and keeps him around to bild upon what he started.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a hard time believing this regime wants a guy who all but retired to coach.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Also, Arians is 60 years old. Haven't they said they want a coach who is going to be around for awhile?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Also, Arians is 60 years old. Haven't they said they want a coach who is going to be around for awhile?

Exactly.
We have youth on the field lets find a coach they hopefully grow old with!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah the age thing is one of the many reasons I think the Saban/Browns rumors are crap as Nick is 61 yrs old. We are probably going to get an unknown guy who nobody has ever heard of.......just praying it isn't McDaniels.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
It is so hard to know what rumors are true, and which others are completely off track.

They cannot all be true, because they conflict with one another. Rumors have us wanting McDaniels/Lombardi, yet not wanting a previously failed head coach. The latter would also rule out Nick Saban ....... so who knows what we're going to get?

Personally I am going to hope for Bruce Arians in combination with a high quality GM candidate.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Grossi: Sources Say No Saban, Banner/Lombardi/McDaniels Possible

Link Copied to Clipboard