Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
All Pro
All Pro
WOW!! watch out Pitofdespair is gonna be estatic

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
4-3 is the biggest thing. The personal on this team is made for 4-3. The 3-4 experiment took forever to get going and ended terribly.

They wouldn't be leaking this over all forms of media if it wasn't true. Welcome aboard Chip! Has to be one of the better head coaching hires since the return. (Sad that we have to even say that....)

oioioioi
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Post deleted by Referee2

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh and Mary Kay is reporting Lombardi has been setting up the Browns FA board....fwiw.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So all we need to do is draft a 2nd round QB. And then Kelly start Weeden. And we'll win 13 games and lose the AFC title game.

#TheHarbaughEffect

No need to worry about the QB. Kelly and Colt both have David Dunn as their agent.

#GMSTRONG
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Quote:

You know who might be a good QB in Chip Kelly's offense? Josh Johnson. Maybe there's a way we could pick him up.

If only there was someone at the Browns facilitating these types of moves.

This is what I thought when Mcoy suddenly became injured and Lewis got the start. Hmm

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Oregon has already named their o-coordinator their next head coach. Granted they say "if" Kelly leaves, but honestly who does that AND announces it publicly if they don't already know it's a done deal?

My guess is Kelly is announced as our next HC some time tomorrow or early Saturday with the "official" interview being essentially a formality.

From the other thread. While I wasn't alone on a limb with my prediction by any stretch, it looks like I was correct.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Two words.

Butch Davis.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I was excited when we hired Butch Davis in the beginning, but his downfall was getting too much power than he could handle at this level imho. I hope the same doesn't end up true for Chip.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
All Pro
All Pro
Well if u wanna go half full..he has been evaluating talent for awhile.Gotta get them evaled for the program so IMO he just might be able to see the transition to the pros..Once again glass half full

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

I also expect us to run a ZBS

Which fits our finesse/technique-centric O Linemen perfectly.

I'd like to keep Jauron as D Coordinate if we hire Chip as well. He'd bring some experience for a new NFL coach and (most importantly) would keep us in the 43.

We'll need guards that can move. None of our guards fit the bill. (We need guards anyway I guess.) Schwartz will have to shed some weight to get quicker too.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Two words.

Butch Davis.

Many people hate him because he was a crap person and quit on the team (after a freak breakdown), but the fact remains that statistically he's been the best coach we've had since our return. Chew on that for a minute.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The Browns may have gotten an assist on this from former Browns coach Bill Belichick, a close friend of Kelly's. Belichick is believed to think the Browns would be a better fit for Kelly than the Eagles.

Once the Browns complete the Kelly deal, they'll turn their attention to a new general manager. As reported by The Plain Dealer on Wednesday, Kelly has close ties to former Browns Director of Player Personnel Mike Lombardi from their friendship with Belichick.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_close_to_deal.html#incart_river

Uhggggg

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We'll need guards that can move. None of our guards fit the bill. (We need guards anyway I guess.) Schwartz will have to shed some weight to get quicker too.

Highlighted for emphasis. We needed 2 new guards regardless of what scheme we're running next year. ZBS fits for Thomas/Mack/Schwartz well though IMO.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's all rumor right now, but if we end up with a Kelly/Lombardi combo with Kelly as the final say I won't be overly optimistic about it. I wasn't a fan of the last crew, but I would have retained them over these guys if I had a say.

Oh well, I'll let it play out before I come down to hard, but again I'm not real optimistic.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
True, he was the coach of our only playoff birth since expansion.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
All i gotta say is...

If we go through with this, its a complete tear down.....then in 3 years when we just start to get some decent players again....Banner and Haslan will pull the plug and start over....

This just makes perfect sense when their are more qualified candidates out there (Whisenhunt has been to a Super Bowl as an Assistant and a Head coach and knows what it takes to get there),

Lovie Smith - a hard-nosed coach who revived the chicago Bears and got to the Super Bow with Rex"freaking" Grossman as his QB

Bruce Arians - who has done wonders with QB's, and filled in as an interim coach while the head guy was recovering from cancer and helped guide them to the playoffs.

what a joke....were going to give total control to a guy who don't know the 1st thing about the NFL, and he is going to bring a bunch of college coaches with him....joy...

sigh...another year, and another last place finish....boy does this get old....

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Any thoughts on him Hack? You've always been honest and was just curious what is being said about it in your neck of the woods so to speak.

Can't argue with his success in Oregon. Most coaches start off in the college system...and you don't know how good he will be till you give him the chance.

The Browns are a young team and might just well respond well to a coach who is used to young men vs Vets.

Someone was going to take a shot on him...might as well be the Browns.

I really thought Saban would be coming up to Cleveland...but not till after the game....the new boss is not going to wait.

HACK

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Great coach but he was a horrible talent evaluator. He had the same responsibilities that it looks like Kelly may have.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

It's all rumor right now, but if we end up with a Kelly/Lombardi combo with Kelly as the final say I won't be overly optimistic about it. I wasn't a fan of the last crew, but I would have retained them over these guys if I had a say.

Oh well, I'll let it play out before I come down to hard, but again I'm not real optimistic.

I agree Willie, thinking of Lombardi running the drafts again makes me sick to my stomach!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No doubt Butch was a great HC......problem is he was a horrible GM/talent evaluator and he HAD NFL experience.....now chew on that for a moment...lol.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My ranking of HC candidates is:

Tier 1 - Zimmer, McCoy, Whisenhut.
Tier 2 - Lovie, Roman, Shanahan
Tier 3 - Saban, Arians
Tier 4 - Kelly (Oregon), Kelly (ND), O'Brien

If we do hire Kelly, I will give him my complete support and hope he succeeds beyond anyone's wildest imagination.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we go through with this, its a complete tear down.....

Not really.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I'm ok with Kelly... want no part of Lombardi... guy just seems clueless to me.

<><

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
So does Cip have a say on the GM??

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Quote:

Not really.

But they didn't hire who KoB thought was the best, so he is most certainly going to be terrible!

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So does Cip have a say on the GM??

I would think that's why they wanted to hire a coach first and then GM... so the coach would be allowed to have say on who he wants.

<><

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Post deleted by Referee2

Legend
Legend
Their D wasn't that bad this year... think the only game they really let get away from them was USC.

<><

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not really.

But they didn't hire who KoB thought was the best, so he is most certainly going to be terrible!

Thats not true!

you misunderstand...ANY of the other candidates i would have been fine with...O'Brien, Arians, Whisenhunt, Smith, any of the other guys i would have been fine with......but Kelly?

This has all the makings of a diaster...I hope im wrong....but this just doesn't look good....again IMO i hope im wrong, but there were other more qualified guys out there.

as i said if he is annouced, i'll just deal with it...but i won't like it one bit unless he starts winning in year two and actually gets us into the mix, until then im skeptical...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Two words.

Butch Davis.

Many people hate him because he was a crap person and quit on the team (after a freak breakdown), but the fact remains that statistically he's been the best coach we've had since our return. Chew on that for a minute.

So, because he had players that actually wanted to play, HE gets the credit?? Butch was a sucky head coach. I knew it from the Chicago game when he gave up something like 300 TD's in five minutes.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
First move.......TEBOW!

We gotta get that guy if we go with Kelly!!! Lol

Here we go again!

#brownsgoodkarma
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Rumor is he got control over the draft.......how u feeling about a guy with zero NFL experience getting control over the entire show??

I can tell you I'm skeptical to say the least.

Let me put it this way..Seems everyway the Browns have tried it,it's failed..I am wary of a college coach as I have said in the past.However the NFL choices that looked good vanished .Now Whisenhut wouldn't bug me but that Cardinal team came apart ..Obrien who U wanted decided to stay..and apparantly Saban said no..
I am less thrilled Lombardo NoNo might come here but he'll need to be controlled and watched..I don't know how it will shake out,but I do know one thing..Kelly is a smat HC..but he knows little about the pro game..he should know a lot about the college players coming out as he has played against a lot of them.

Look we just went through the Home Boys mo money scheme which didn't work and was a failure..so lets see how this plays out..I'm tired man of the same ole mess year after year..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

First move.......TEBOW!

We gotta get that guy if we go with Kelly!!! Lol

Here we go again!

do u know the amount of craziness that would bring to Cleveland.. I hate Tebow but I must say the thought of it is intriguing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
By Tony Grossi

Barring an unforeseen setback, Oregon coach Chip Kelly will be the next coach of the Browns and could be introduced as early as this week.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner began meeting with Kelly in the Phoenix area this afternoon at 2. Indications were so strong that the Browns would land Kelly that the Philadelphia Eagles, said to be the No. 1 contender for Kelly, were laying plans to interview other candidates, including Indianapolis Colts assistant and interim coach Bruce Arians.

According to a source, the Browns “were backing up the Brink’s truck” to sign up Kelly, 49.

While Kelly was always considered a prime target of the Browns, he went to the top of the list when Alabama coach Nick Saban made it known to Haslam, possibly through intermediaries, that he should not be considered for the job, said the source.

“If Nick was 51, instead of 61, he would have probably done it. But not now,” said the source.

In four years at Oregon, Kelly was 46-7 overall and 33-3 in Pacific 12 Conference games. He took the Ducks into national prominence by appearing in four major bowl games, winning the last two. The Browns had camped out in Arizona since Tuesday awaiting for Kelly to conclude his season in the Fiesta Bowl. The Ducks beat Kansas State, 35-17, on Tuesday night.

It is believed that Kelly will take few, if any, of his assistant coaches at Oregon to Cleveland. He inherited most of them from his predecessor, Mike Bellotti, now the Oregon athletic director, and many, if not all, are expected to stay. So the interview process with the Browns was believed to include much discussion about the makeup of Kelly’s staff.

A source said that retaining Browns defensive coordinator Dick Jauron, and much of the current defensive staff, is a possibility but not a certainty. Last week Haslam said retaining any holdovers would be “absolutely” the decision of the next head coach.

Immediate speculation was that Brandon Weeden would be out as Browns quarterback. While it remains to be seen how much of the Oregon zone read option offense Kelly incorporates, Weeden stated in his exit interview with Cleveland-area media, “I don’t think I can run the zone read.”

“They’re going to need mobile guys that can also throw the ball. That isn’t Brandon Weeden,” said a second source familiar with Kelly’s offense.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As I said in another thread it at least will not be boring..lol Either Kelly is that once in a generation coach who can go to college to the NFL with no pro experience ala Jimmy Johnson.......or this will be a train wreck of fabulous proportions.

Should be fun to watch either way

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Two words.

Butch Davis.

The big difference is that for much of Davis time just like with Savage, Mangini and Holmgren. There where no checks and balances. Ultimately Kelley will answer to Banner and he to Haslam. Unlike Lerner(Randy) Haslam actually wants to be a football team owner and cares about winning. Lerner was willing to turn over all authority to anyone who he though could keep him from having to have any dealings with this football team.

D
Legend
Legend
D
LOL, WKNR reporting that Weeden just tweeted that he was *only kidding* when he said he couldn't run the zone read.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Davis answered to Al Lerner and Carmen Policy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL, WKNR reporting that Weeden just tweeted that he was *only kidding* when he said he couldn't run the zone read.

i saw that.. dude.. ur done.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Potential Head Coaches II

Link Copied to Clipboard