Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Haslam the guy has to be BETTER THEN HECKERT.

Im so not looking forward to the Banner years.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
How do you know he isn't?

you had a good run Hank.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I dont they havent hired him yet but darn it he has to be better.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont know if we will really have a GM anyway. With the Group Effort approach to deciding on free agents and the draft, there will be no General Manager. We will have the scouting department representative in that group effort with Banner, Haslam and Chud and does anyone think he will have the biggest influence on the decision making? WE may name someone the GM but he wont be.

If Banner and Haslam really want to immerse themselves in those decisions I hope they are dedicated enough to sit in on those scout meetings and are there as they put their board together. The worst thing we need is another Butch Davis situation where the scouts do all the work and then Butch drafts guys the scouts had taken off their board.

I remember reading somewhere that Big Money was a guy that our scouts had red flagged and even given a late 1st early 2nd grade and the scouts pleaded with Butch to take a RB they had graded out as the #1 player in the draft. Hey Butch got his man and fired the scouts lol.

Anyway, we will see how it goes. I don't know how any of these guys are at player evaluation but we know we have a ton of money to spend and Banner likes free agents even if the owner said this was a team building from the draft.

Hell I wouldnt mind if we just promoted from our own scouting department.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I wonder if Farmer had any input into their drafts? The Chefs actually have some pretty decent talent at quite a few positions, but their complete talent void at the QB spot has really hurt them.

I like many of their players, like Charles, Bowe, Jackson, Poe, Houston, Hall, Berry, Flowers, plus their OL is pretty decent as well ... especially considering that they had to deal with Brady Quinn for 8 starts. Their OL helped the Chefs run for almost 2400 yards and a 4.8 yards/rush.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ray Farmer...director of PRO personnel of a crap team with poor PRO personnel decisions. I feel so much better now.

So who is going to scout those College dudes? WHO? Is there anyone left with an eye for talent? The scouts? Is Spytek still there at least? and even if he is...he's trained for over a decade on the 4-3 side of things and now we expect him and his team to find conversion or "hybrid" players?

This "consensus" has MESS and beef written all over it.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Haslam and Banner fired a good GM in Tom Heckert, which I have no problem with, IF they go out and hire someone "better"...someone better qualified.

But so far, based on the names the media is writing about as prospective replacements for Heckert, hiring someone better than Heckert does not seem to be what Haslam and Banner are looking for.

Why are Haslam and Banner looking at "less talented" and "less qualified" GM candidates than they just fired?

Mike Lombardi couldn't land a job for 5 years, opting to become a sports writer and a TV analyst for NFL network since being fired by the Raiders in 2007.

Ray Farmer...his qualification are worse than Lombardi's...

Here is his bio from the Chiefs...

Ray Farmer begins his seventh season with the Chiefs as the club’s Director of Pro Personnel in 2012. He joined Kansas City after a four-year stint working as a pro scout with the Atlanta Falcons from 2002-05. Farmer oversees the scouting of all players with professional experience. In addition to evaluating current players in the NFL, he also scouts players in the Canadian Football League and all other pro leagues.

A fourth-round draft choice of Philadelphia in 1996, Farmer spent three seasons playing linebacker for the Eagles. He saw action in 32 games with 16 starts before his career was curtailed by a knee injury. During his stint with the Eagles, Farmer’s defensive coordinator was Emmitt Thomas, who was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008, still holds a Chiefs record with 58 career INTs and currently serves as the club’s defensive backs coach.

A standout safety at Duke from 1992-95, Farmer was a two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection for the Blue Devils and was also named to the conference All-Academic Team in 1994. The White Plains, N.Y. native set an NCAA career record during his collegiate career by blocking eight PATs.

He joined the Falcons in 2002 after serving as the Academic Coordinator for Football at his alma mater, where he also assisted in football recruiting.

Education: Duke (B.A. 1996). Family: Wife - Vernet; Children - Boyd and Kennedy.

web page

Why are Haslam and Banner scrapping the bottom of the barrel, looking at GM candidates that no other team is even interested in hiring?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Ray Farmer...director of PRO personnel of a crap team with poor PRO personnel decisions. I feel so much better now.

I have a feeling Farmer was a information gatherer in KC....Remember they had Pioli as a GM....From what I've read and I could be wrong, It was Pioli's way or it was wrong, So Farmer probebly didnt have much input when it came to players, not that he didnt have the knowledge just was in a bad postion.

Legend
Legend
Can't say I know a single thing about Farmer... I know the Chiefs are typically reported to have decent talent but can never seem to win with it and have had great difficulty finding a QB that works out for them...

yebat' Putin
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Haslam and Banner fired a good GM in Tom Heckert, which I have no problem with, IF they go out and hire someone "better"...someone better

Ditto. I was big on keeping him.

Wonder whats up. Aside from turning down the Jets' invite, its been pretty quiet on the Heckert front.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently Ray Farmer is the "leading candidate" for GM. I'm not sure that I am a big fan of a guy that was in charge of bringing in Free Agents and chose players such as Brady Quinn, Payton Hillis, Matt Cassell, and others. I'd need to do some research on who he all brought in to give a true opinion though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/14/ray-farmer-emerges-as-leader-for-browns-g-m-job/

As the Browns search for a General Manager, there’s finally a favorite for the job.

And some in the Cleveland media will be happy to know that it’s not Mike Lombardi.

Per a league source, Chiefs director of pro personnel Ray Farmer is believed to have the inside track to succeed Tom Heckert. Zac Jackson of FOXSportsOhio.com reported Saturday that Farmer interviewed on Thursday. Others report that the interview happened today. (Hey, if “others” can refer to us as “others,” we’ll refer to them as “others,” too.)

This could mean that Farmer had a second interview today. (Or that “others” are four days late.)

The two primary names connected to the job are Farmer and Lombardi. The fairly intense resistance articulated by some in the local media when Lombardi’s name first surfaced could make it harder for the Browns to sell a Lombardi hire.

As far as we can tell, neither Lombardi or Farmer have emerged in other G.M. searches, including the scorched-earth effort by the Jets to find a replacement for Mike Tannenbaum.

I was just wondering, has anyone heard of Lombardi actualy having an interview with the Browns for this job?

Nope. Lotta rumors, but like Haslam and Banner both have said .... only they know who the candidates on their list are.

Then those complaining about lombardi are basically front loading their complaints in case he gets hired,,, Right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

Then those complaining about lombardi are basically front loading their complaints in case he gets hired,,, Right?

Sure seems that way.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it is more of the complaint department has kept Lombardi out of Cleveland.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We do have that effect on people. In his case, I am okay with it.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think it is more of the complaint department has kept Lombardi out of Cleveland.

Well, we all love this board right. But in truth, I don't believe Jimmy Haslam actually knows it exists. He should know. but I bet he doesn't.

So honestly, I don't think we've really had much to do with anything that has gone on. That means firing folks, hiring folks, etc etc.

I wish Jimmy and the rest of the Browns organization would recognize us in some fashion but I do understand why they don't. They have a site of similar nature so it could be that they don't want to promote the competition.

Jimmy wasn't here at the time, but the only reason this board exists is because the Browns totally screwed up theirs.. I'm sure we'd all still be on the Browns site if we hadn't been essentially kicked to the curb like a group of nobodys.. at least that's the way I felt and frankly, I don't even remember the last time I was on that board.

These boards are a marketing tool.. if used properly. The Browns Blew it.

So, let's see if they watch this board and contact us to let us know they welcome us back and treat us like we used to be treated.,

Anyone remember when we had our own tent and a place to sit and watch practice and they put out a spread for us.. lots of food and pop and I can't remember if they had beer for us.. don't remember. But the food and pop was free if memory serves me correctly. Nobody else was allowed in but us. We even had special passes. I still have mine hanging on the wall behind me in my office.

Anyway, us dawgtalkers were treated special.... They even had a young guy on staff who catered to our needs.. Not that we really had any. they treated us so well.

We were allowed to park in the lot across from the front of the complex and walk in beside the loading dock.. they had a table there with our credentials and a media guide for each of us.

Ha.. those were the days my friends.. now I feel like a very loyal outcast..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

There is an unnamed frontrunner

J&J: Hello Mr. XY. Are you ok with having next to no say on draft weekend and even less in FA? Oh, and you have no 53 say, but you already knew that. You will get more money, get a nice office and get fired if we screw it up. Speaking of screwing...I know it will get boring at times but please don't do what Kokinis did here several years ago. So? You're ok with that? Deal?

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
If you put up a billion, I'm sure that you could change all of this... seriously, though.. what's the point?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

There is an unnamed frontrunner

J&J: Hello Mr. XY. Are you ok with having next to no say on draft weekend and even less in FA? Oh, and you have no 53 say, but you already knew that. You will get more money, get a nice office and get fired if we screw it up. Speaking of screwing...I know it will get boring at times but please don't do what Kokinis did here several years ago. So? You're ok with that? Deal?

I don't think it's anywhere near that dire...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Speaking of screwing...I know it will get boring at times but please don't do what Kokinis did here several years ago.

Haha - I believe that is why Kokinis got fired too.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Are you ok with having next to no say on draft weekend and even less in FA? Oh, and you have no 53 say, but you already knew that. You will get more money, get a nice office and get fired if we screw it up.

DJ...your comment above might be seen as being humorous by most...but in fact, it might be the most accurate assessment of the qualifications Banner is looking for in a new GM.

Heckert stood his ground on retaining his GM powers...and he got fired !

It is becoming rather obvious the type of GM candidate Banner is looking for..

With names like Mike Lombardi and Ray Farmer being mentioned...checking their qualifications...both are very weak candidates who are not being pursued by any other NFL teams.

It looks like the best and most qualified GM prospects have no interest in the Browns GM opening.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Legend
Legend
So he expects San Fran to lose, then?

N
Legend
Legend
N
FO people don't have the same stipulations as coaches. SF has already granted us permission to interview Gamble.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

This is enlightening to say the least:

http://articles.philly.com/2013-01-05/sports/36151018_1_howie-roseman-eagles-gm-tom-heckert

McNabb: Banner took power from Reid, groomed Roseman

January 05, 2013|By Peter Mucha, Philly.com Staff Writer

The idea that Andy Reid always had final say is a bit of a myth, according to former Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Before being ousted in June, team president Joe Banner sometimes exercised more authority than Reid, who was fired Monday, McNabb said Thursday on Comcast SportsNet's Daily News Live.

As reported earlier today, McNabb also said on the show that the Eagles should hire a defensive-minded coach, not offensively innovative University of Oregon coach Chip Kelly. McNabb also dismissed rumors about a return to the playing field, perhaps with Reid, reportedly on the verge of closing a deal to the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Banner remarks came in response to a question from host Michael Barkann: "As far as you know, when you were with the team, the 'final-say' provision, who had it? Was it Andy? Was it Joe?"

Although McNabb initially said, "You know, we had no clue," he elaborated with an air of being knowledgeable.

"It seems like when Andy went through his issues with the family and his sons early on, that was a time for Joe to step in and try to make every decision," McNabb said. "That's when you kind of felt like Andy lost his power. And every decision that was made, it was going through Joe."

A common public perception was that Eagles general managers had clout in the organization, but McNabb painted a different picture.

"It didn't matter who the GM was at that time, because when Tom Heckert was here, it seemed like Joe made every decision," McNabb said. "And it was so easy for him to just kind of push Heckert out, you know. Heckert was up for the Atlanta job, and he told him to go and interview for it."

Heckert, who became Eagles GM in January 2006, left four years later to assume the same title with Cleveland Browns. But on Monday, a few months after Banner was named Browns CEO, Heckert was fired.

When Heckert left the Eagles, Howie Roseman took over as GM, but at first he seemed to be doing Banner's bidding, according to McNabb.

Banner "was already grooming Howie" to take Heckert's position, "so basically he could make every decision and just have Howie there with the title. And that's the way things were the last couple years, of Howie just being there, you know, suggesting a lot of things, but with Joe making the decision," McNabb said.

That seems to fit remarks made Monday by owner Jeffrey Lurie, who gave Roseman credit for the 2012 draft, but took him off the hook for previous ones.

"The mistakes that were made in the 2011 draft have little or nothing to do with Howie's evaluations," Lurie said.

McNabb seemed to confirm rumors of power struggles: "Now Andy came back and regained some of the power, but Joe was the one that was holding all of the power, I felt, and everyone in the locker room knew that."

In the last couple of days, rumors have suggested that Heckert might join Reid in Kansas City as general manager. However, recent reports say Packers director of football operations John Dorsey had emerged as the front runner. Today, Scott Pioli, who held the general manager post in Kansas City for the last four seasons, resigned.

--------------------------------------------------------

We've already "heard" or seen clear signs of most of the things I bolded in Berea. Puppet GM, letting the locker room know who's the boss etc...

If you look at the Eagles drafts from 2009 to 2011, 3 things jump out.

1. 2009 was the best draft, when Heckert was still in the building and although the Eagles only had 2 valuable picks. No 3rd or 4th rounder. As known with Heckert, he hit on the Top 50 picks with Maclin and Lesean

2. Almost all picks are from big College programms and there's pretty much no 3rd day pick that is a starter today. The best 3rd day pick was, again, from the 2009 draft with 6th round WR Gibson, who is a fringe NFL starter now.

3. 2010 and 2011 drafts, without Heckert, and supposedly everything going through Banner, are BUST filled and that includes 1st and 2nd rounders, an area we know Heckert is good at, but he wasn't there anymore to maybe suggest a good pool of players Banner can play GM with. Most 3rd day picks aren't even contributors or on the team anymore

Another thing worth mentioning from a draftnik point of view, those 2010 and 2011 drafts are FILLED with hype players or "name" prospects. At draft weekend I remember many praises for the Eagles drafts because they got those hype and name players for. It has the look of a GM or shot caller who has little in depth knowledge of scouting and makes his picks from Mel Kiper's big board...or youtube. Just saying.

If that's what we're going to get, I expect the next drafts to all LOOK crazy good on draft weekend, but fade away because of little substance, going with (mostly big school) hype instead...just like the 2010 and 2011 are already for the Eagles. If you want to know why the Eagles were bad last season, look at those drafts...coincidentally when Heckert left and "everything went through Banner".....where have we heard this before? Hmmm...

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
If I remember right Reid always wanted to keep McNabb and had to be convinced to go along with the trade to Washington. I'm not believing much of what McNabb says on the subject as I think he has reasons ( both past and possibly future) to support Reid. I also question how much McNabb was privy to regarding front office decisions.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

If I remember right Reid always wanted to keep McNabb and had to be convinced to go along with the trade to Washington. I'm not believing much of what McNabb says on the subject as I think he has reasons ( both past and possibly future) to support Reid. I also question how much McNabb was privy to regarding front office decisions.

Good points. Plus, if Banner is to be blamed for the bad picks, he should also get credit for the good - if, in fact, he WAS calling the shots.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

"It didn't matter who the GM was at that time, because when Tom Heckert was here, it seemed like Joe made every decision,"

Quote:

1. 2009 was the best draft, when Heckert was still in the building and although the Eagles only had 2 valuable picks. No 3rd or 4th rounder. As known with Heckert, he hit on the Top 50 picks with Maclin and Lesean

But if Joe made every decision, how can you give credit to Heckert for hitting on the picks. Or is it that Heckert made all the picks that were good and Banner made all the picks that were bad? Is that how it works?

Look, I'm not saying I'm pro Banner or anti Banner, but it seems that you're arranging evidence to fit your conclusion rather than drawing a conclusion from the evidence. That being said, I'm going to wait to see what Banner does HERE before I make my opinion on him.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Good points. Plus, if Banner is to be blamed for the bad picks, he should also get credit for the good - if, in fact, he WAS calling the shots.

Sure, but it is obvious who was doing the ground work before and who presented the shot callers, whoever that might be, with a pool of players to choose from. Question als is: WHEN did Banner become more of a football side power guy? McNabb is suggesting that it started when Reid had family problems and he's also saying that Banner wanted Heckert pretty much gone so he could install his own puppet GM....mounting evidence that those 2 crap drafts were the ones that "went through" Banner.

The next evidence, and even clearer, is that Lurie, who was buddies with Banner for ages and who sat in the draft room too and knew who wanted who, sided with Roseman and fired his buddy.

That left little Joe with a bad taste in his mouth, read this:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagl..._for_Howie.html

The evidence is plain: Kelly is here and Roseman is firmly in charge of the team's personnel department.

Monday; Thursday.

"This was such erroneous reporting, it was insane," Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said, later adding that it was fueled by a lot of people with "individual agendas."

"It was a joke to us," Lurie said.

The unspoken feud between Lurie/Roseman and former Eagles president Joe Banner is churning just below the surface of every conversation you have with Lurie these days. He went out of his way on Thursday to talk about how - even though there was reporting during the frenzied days that Kelly was close to signing with Banner in Cleveland, reporting that Kelly shot down - Kelly was never going anywhere else. It was either the Eagles or stay at Oregon, Lurie said repeatedly.

"There was no other factor," he said.

"There was no competition for Chip," he insisted.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Scream all you want about the picks but better yet take a look what was on the board at the time of those picks. Not much.

Quote:

3. 2010 and 2011 drafts, without Heckert, and supposedly everything going through Banner, are BUST filled and that includes 1st and 2nd rounders

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Uhm, ok

2010:

Eagles picked DE Graham at 13
14 FS E.Thomas
15 DE JPP
16 DE Morgan
17 G Iupati
18 C Pouncey
19 OLB Weatherspoon

That should be enough....

37 FS N.Allen
38 TJ Ward
39 WR Benn
40 OLB Misi
41 DT Troup
42 TE Gronk
43 OLB Kindle
44 DL L.Houston
45 G Beadles
46 DT L.Joseph
47 LB D.Washington

Ok, not busted, but not above AVG at his position

2011:

23 Philly took G Watkins
24 DE C.Jordan
25 OT Carpenter
26 WR Baldwin
27 CB J.Smith
28 RB Ingram
29 OT Carimi
30 DT Wilkerson
31 DE Heyward
32 OT Sherrod

Top of 2nd the best picks were Dalton, Kaepernick, Sheard

Busted this one

54 they took S Jarrett, total bust

players picked after him: C Hudson, RB Vereen, WR T.Smith, WR Little

Bust too

Legend
Legend
Quote:

2011:

23 Philly took G Watkins
24 DE C.Jordan
25 OT Carpenter
26 WR Baldwin
27 CB J.Smith
28 RB Ingram
29 OT Carimi
30 DT Wilkerson
31 DE Heyward
32 OT Sherrod

Top of 2nd the best picks were Dalton, Kaepernick, Sheard

Busted this one

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Big hire by the Eagles. They landed Tom Gamble....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...onnel/#comments

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be much happier if we had hired Gamble instead of Lombardi.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'd be ECSTATIC.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who Da GM Gonna Be? (Part Deux)

Link Copied to Clipboard