Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I know there is a thread like this every so often and I thought I'd bring it up again.

I just finished a bok over the weekend called:

Ready Player One. by Ernest Cline (born in Ashland, Ohio)

I was surprised by this book. If you are a Clasic Gamer (Atari and old Computer games), child of the 80's this is a book for you. Quick synopsis:

The background story is there was a guy James Halliday and he grew up as a teenager in the 1980's. He was a anti-social geek in a way. Liked to play D&D and old PC games. Playing D&D he met his life long friend and soon to be business partner. Jim starts making PC games and his friend Ogden Marrow helps sell them. They start a software company called Gregarious Simulation Systems in Columbus, Ohio. Over the years they make great games. Fans can't wait until the next one is released.

After many years with-out a release there are rumors the company is going under because they sunk all their money on a new project. After many months and speculation the company releases OASIS which is a massive multi-player interactive game. It's kind of like virtual reality much much more advanced. OASIS becomes so big with thousands of worlds inside that in the future kids go to school in OASIS, people work there and so on. It's the new internet/web browser.

At the end of his life James Halliday becomes a recluse and when he dies every user in OASIS is sent his video will. Since he has no heirs to leave his company and money too he decided to make a game. Referencing the atari Adventure game with the easter egg secret in it he has hidden three keys and three gates somewhere in OASIS. The first person to find all three keys, complete all three gates and find the egg will win all his belongings (100's of Billions of $$$ and controlling stock in his gaming company.) There is a leader board and all have James Halliday's Avatar's name with a score of 0.

Now you have people who become full time egg hunters (Gunters for short) and then there are paid egg hunters (Sixers because they have a 6 digit company ID that start with a 6) who are paid by IOI an internet service provider who wants control Gregarious Simulation Systems and OASIS. See OASIS is free to join and play (if you want to), but IOI wants to start charging a monthly fee.

The book starts out and it's been five years and no one has found a key. Gunters are looked at as kind of jokes now. The original Hysteria had died down now. Then a name pops up on the scoreboard and the Narrator tells the story of how he found the first key and what happened from there.

Great Book. Lots of Gaming, 80's pop culture references in there.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
I listen to books on my iPod in the car. I'm currently on book 18 of the Aubrey/Maturin series. I have really enjoyed them so far.

Right now at home I'm reading "The World According to Garp."

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
I'm working on writing a book.

I have the opening and the ending partially written.

Maybe I'll get rich. Probably not though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

This starts slow. I hear it's one of those "you love it or you hate it kind of books". But, it's currently being not read in favor of...

this series. I'm on book one and I'm loving every single page of what Douglas Adams put together. I have the whole collection in one giant leather bound book.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Im reading The Hobbit. I read it long ago, but figured it was worth reading again before I see the movie.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Vince Flynn's " Transfer of Power ". About 50 pages in. Very good sofar.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I've been alternating between David Baldacci and Clive Cussler for the past few months. Every so often I throw in a Western.

Right now I'm in the middle of Cussler's Raise the Titanic.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
A
Legend
Legend
A
:Just finished "Killing Kennedy" last week. Good, although I enjoyed "Killing Lincoln" more.

Recently read Outlaw Platoon - very good read.

Legend
Legend
Recently finished "no easy day" gonna reread "unbroken".

Both great books

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just got done the other day.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
I'm reading Dawgtalkers.net..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
"Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Rielly.

I read about half of it last night.....great read.....with the game tonight, I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Currently about to finish A Dance with Dragons which is book five in the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Better known for The Game of Thrones show on HBO. Excellent set of books!

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Currently reading Urban's Way: Urban Meyer, the Florida Gators, and his plan to Win. Provides a great glimpse into the mind of Urban Meyer and the passion he has for the game of football. Really enjoying so far.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"With the Old Breed"

I'll start my yearly reading of "The Old Man and the Boy" afterwards.

Legend
Legend
My wife got that for me for Christmas. I read it so quickly. A great book.

Over the past month I've read the Panther by Nelson Demille, A Wanted Man by Lee Child, and Winter of the World by Ken Follett.

I have "The Last Man" by Vince Flynn (the latest in his series) waiting for me at the library, and I'm on the list for Baldacci's latest "The Forgotten."

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Is that the first Mitch Rapp book you're reading? If so, you absolutely have to pick up the rest of them. A GREAT series, second only to Nelson Demille's John Corey, IMO.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Funny you posted that, just picked up Master and Commander! First time reading O'Brian. Loved the movie (I know it is based on M&C and Far Side) so I decided to read the first book, and if I like it, will continue on with the series.

Legend
Legend
The first book or two were kind of tough because you have to get used to the 18th century nautical language.

And, like I said, I just listened to them, I didn't read them. That might make a difference.

However, I have really loved them. Not a bad one in the series. There were a couple times that I drove around the block instead of pulling in the garage so I could finish a chapter.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H

The Anarchist's Tool Chest was the last book I read (Really good woodworking book).

I built the chest from the book, it was quite a fun project.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

"With the Old Breed"

I'm in the Corps and that's on the Cm's reading list. I thought I'd check it out. Let me know what you think (with the old breed).

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Rielly.

I read about half of it last night.....great read.....with the game tonight, I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

Was thinking of picking that up - I liked his Lincoln book...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
This past week:

Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil
Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady
Christopher Hitchens, Arguably: Essays

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
It's really nice to see your all reading book and you all have great interest, so I really like to read more about my business that's why I am reading " Real Estate Finance and Investment Manual " I also recommend to the new agent for reading this for book for gain your experience.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah I like Audio Books also. Listened to the Entire Harry Potter & Sword of Truth series in my car to an from work. The Sword of Truth Series set I have has Nick Sullivan reading it and he was completely amazing. He would have a different voice for every character and you could tell who was talking by his voice. He had different accents also and he could switch between the characters carrying on conversations between them and didn't miss a beat. Like I said he is amazing. If the narrator sucks I can listen. Tried the Game of Thrones on Audio Book and didn't like the reader so I read them myself.

Right now I am on the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan and I love it. If anyone likes the Lord of Rings series they will love the Wheel of Time. First book is the Eye of the World. I'm currently on chapter 4 of book 4 of the series. The Readers (There are two) are also good in this book. They have Michael Kramer reading the male point of view sections and Kate Reading doing the female point of view. Both are good but I like Kramer a little better. Never seen a split reading like this unless it's a full on play production.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Currently, I'm rereading Gone With The Wind - as good as that movie is, the book is better! Next, I'm looking for something good to read - but I'm usually into suspense, murder, mystery, some non-fiction (mostly biographies or autobiographies). I keep rereading the same books over and over again because nothing has really piqued my curiosity in a while.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

"With the Old Breed"

I'm in the Corps and that's on the Cm's reading list. I thought I'd check it out. Let me know what you think (with the old breed).

It's about my third time through this book! Sledge's account is IMO the very best ever written! And I've pretty much read them all.

Legend
Legend
Just finished "The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao," by Juno Diaz.

freakishly good.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
The paperback of that book is cheaper new than the kindle edition.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I read this a couple of years ago for a class. It was awesome!

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
"The Joy of Hate" by Greg Gutfeld, co-host of FOX News "The Five" and host of the greatest talk show to date, "Red Eye" also on FOX News.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Legend
Legend
Next up: "Things I've Learned From Watching The Browns" by Terry Pluto.

Dude became my favorite sportswriter when I read "False Start: How The Browns Were Set Up To Fail." Deeeep research, insightful observations, and a must-read for any die-hard Browns fan.

I can't wait to crack the cover of this one. It was given to me as a Christmas gift by a lifelong Dallas fan.... who just today, suggested that he MIGHT be willing to join The Browns Nation- after decades of following 'Them Boys.'.

Imagine THAT, if you will....

Maybe, I'll give him Pluto's works to read....just to 'tip him over.' If anyone can "turn" a fan of another team, it's Terry. He brings the reader into the locker room like noone else I've read (with the exception of Plimpton).

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Is that the first Mitch Rapp book you're reading? If so, you absolutely have to pick up the rest of them. A GREAT series, second only to Nelson Demille's John Corey, IMO.

No, this is the one where Terrorist take over the White House. I think the first one is where he wacks Democrats that are destroying the country. What a great idea.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
No Easy Day....Recieved it for Christmas, havent started it yet, looking forward to doing that this weekend....

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Currently about to finish A Dance with Dragons which is book five in the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Better known for The Game of Thrones show on HBO. Excellent set of books!

About to finish book 4, 'A Feast For Crows.'

Read 1 through 3 before the show premiered. Finally getting back to it...

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

It's really nice to see your all reading book and you all have great interest, so I really like to read more about my business that's why I am reading " Real Estate Finance and Investment Manual " I also recommend to the new agent for reading this for book for gain your experience.

prefab buildings

Legend
Legend
I just started reading "Last Man", the most recent Mitch Rapp book. Man, that guy is such a badass. A great read so far.

And, in my car, I'm up to book no. 19 in the Aubrey/Maturin series, "The Hundred Days." I have to admit, I am going to be sad when I'm done with the series. I have really enjoyed it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I just started reading "Last Man", the most recent Mitch Rapp book. Man, that guy is such a badass. A great read so far.

And, in my car, I'm up to book no. 19 in the Aubrey/Maturin series, "The Hundred Days." I have to admit, I am going to be sad when I'm done with the series. I have really enjoyed it.

Not familar with " The Hundred Days " Can you tell me more?

Legend
Legend
It's the 19th book in the 21 book series.

Legend
Legend
I am an English major, so of course I read "junk" exclusively and have for years. Fantasy and SF almost exclusively. I am about to finish White Tigerand it is a really good Oriental fantasy set which I am really enjoying it (for those old enough who might have played TSR's Oriental Adventures spinoff experiment for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Author is new to me: Kylie Chan. Also, rereading H. P. Lovecraft's novel entitled At the Mountains of Madness.
Props for this strand. Always interested in what people read by choice.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... What are you Reading?? (Book Thread)

Link Copied to Clipboard