Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I just finished Tucker Max's "A$$holes finish first". It was kinda funny.
Now I am on to Lord of the flies.

Legend
Legend
I just started "Against All Enemies" by Tom Clancy and am listening to "Blue at the Mizzen", book 20 in the Aubrey/Maturin series.

I like Clancy's stuff, especially since I realized that I can skim the parts where he goes into detail about a missile or a submarine. Look, I get it, submarines and planes and helicopters are really intricate complex machines. Just say "there was a sub" and I get it.

But I do like his books a lot.

Up next I am going to re-read "Candide" by Voltaire.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I am now on Book 5 of the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. Awesome, awesome series so far. I can't stop reading them and the moment one book ends I am immediately starting the next book.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irving. Savoring it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The Bible

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

At the Mountains of Madness

So good

I read this over the summer. I was really impressed.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Another good series to read is:

Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series 8 books with Swagger as the main character, I flew through every one of them

Vince Flynn's books with Mith Rapp are also fantastic 13 books with Mitch Rapp

Mark Berent's 5 books about Vietnam are great as well Steel Tiger, Rolling Thunder, Phantom Leader, Eagle Station, and Strom Flight. Not sure of the order of those. I was in Vietnam from 92 to 94, I read alot of Vietnam War books.

L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series was pretty good, I think there was 10 books.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series has like 17 books with him as the main character.

Found a good site that has alot of books by authors and by main characters:
http://www.orderofbooks.com/

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Just got an email that Ready Player One is in at the library, can't wait to get started this Saturday.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King. Minor story that takes place between books 4 and 5 of the Dark Tower series. Its a fun read...

Legend
Legend
I just finished The Hunger Games series a few days ago. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate all the movies (Due to how much was glassed over in the first one, my expectations are low..)

I just started "I am Number 4" I enjoyed the movie, and am enjoying the book even more..

Next I might pick up "The Whore Of Akron" and someone suggested to me the Game of Thrones series but I don't think I'm that much into that style...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I have been trying to read "Ulysses" by James Joyce, but have been having a very difficult go of it, just because of the complexities of nearly every freaking sentence....

So I am thinking of just moving to something by Ayn Rand and then I will come back to Joyce later on....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Just got an email that Ready Player One is in at the library, can't wait to get started this Saturday.

Awesome, I really hope you like it as much as I did.

And I still can't speak enough about the The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. If anyone likes the Lord of the Rings then this series will blow your mind. It is soooooo good. Better than the Rings IMO. Tolkien was very inventive and imaginative but sometimes he spent 3 pages to describe a blade of grass. Jordan is at Tolkien's level on the imagination (I think he is better but that is my opinion, he is at worst equal to Tolkien) but I have found Jordan's story flow is superior and I can already tell I will be sad when I get to the end if the series knowing there will be no more after that. (Robert Jordan has passed away.)

One of my other favorite authors Terry Goodkind is also coming out with a new book this year, a Follow up to his 2011 Omen Machine. Goodkind wrote the Sword of Truth series which was 11 books, the Omen machine continues the story of the main characters from that series but is considered a new series. It was my favorite Fantasy series until I recently discovered the Wheel of Time series. His new book coming out this summer is called The Third Kingdom. I can't wait for that. I own the entire Sword of Truth Series plus The Omen Machine in Hardcover. I should note if anyone might be interested the Sword of Truth series is very Mature, R rated IMO. There is a barbarian type army in there that is very brutal and Goodkind is very descriptive of the things they do. This series isn't something you want your 13yo to read. (The Wheel of Time series is rated E by comparison)

Goodkind also wrote another book that vaguely ties to the Sword of Truth series called the Law of Nines. It was set in America around this time and is a suspense thriller type novel. He is suppose to write two more books following the Law of Nines but as of yet no word on the follow ups as he has focused on his new series.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Im reading "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History" Its not bad. It kind of jumps around and doesnt have a good flow to it, but the story's are interesting. That man really was a patriot.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I'm about half way through it and I love it, it's one of those books where I'm not finished yet but I'm already regretting finishing it, hoping it would have lasted longer. Probably will finish it at work today, .

As for going to work today, pretty excited. A guy I work with had his wife reitre maybe a year ago and she is a big time reader. She buys all her books at the store and he is going to be giving me maybe 80 to 100 NEW paperbacks. And before anyone says it, she doesn't read Harlequin books.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I have a kindle fire. Literally thousands of books I can carry with me anywhere.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And before anyone says it, she doesn't read Harlequin books.

Then which of her books are you taking???

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I just read God's Lions: The Secret Chapel. First book in the series. It was a quick, easy, and fun read.

It is like the Da Vinci Code only they are using the Bible as clues.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Now reading 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King. Pretty much enjoying it, but this guy seems so out of touch w/ the slang & colorful vocabulary his characters are talking.

Legend
Legend
Reading Conscious Capitalism by John MacKey, founder and CEO of Whole Foods. Great read for anybody who loves big business.. and for anybody who hates big business.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Going to be picking up "No Easy Day" at the library on my way home. After seeing (and liking) the movie Zero Dark Thirty, I'm sure I'll be engrossed in the book about the Bin Laden raid.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Going to be picking up "No Easy Day" at the library on my way home. After seeing (and liking) the movie Zero Dark Thirty, I'm sure I'll be engrossed in the book about the Bin Laden raid.

My cousin LOVES that book. Tells me to read it once a month...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Listened to the audio book on my last flight to the mainland.

I liked it.

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Listened to the audio book on my last flight to the mainland.

I liked it.

It's what I'm listening to at work via audible. I've found it interesting so far and compelling. I'm just to the point in the book where he speaks about what the near future holds. The stuff about Jules Verne's insight in the book "Paris in the Twentieth Century" was quite interesting.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I appreciated the near future more than the distant discussions. There are too many extrapolations for my taste. The near future has things that are currently being worked on and have obvious next steps to consider.

Kaku has the rare ability to distill extraordinarily complex science into digestible, compelling and entertaining units.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm reading my divorce papers.. Damn i'm screwed ... need donations send them to Browns Fan needs tixs.com...

In all seriousness... I'm reading this post...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I appreciated the near future more than the distant discussions. There are too many extrapolations for my taste. The near future has things that are currently being worked on and have obvious next steps to consider.

Kaku has the rare ability to distill extraordinarily complex science into digestible, compelling and entertaining units.

I can appreciate them both. It's interesting to contemplate what humanity would be like in 100 years or 200 years or 1000 years.

I only listen to these books while I'm at work. Just finished Robert Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. Thought about going for another of his books, but came across this one by Kaku. The preview intrigued me and it's gotten a lot of reviews and the overall grade is about 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.

I'd like to think that I'm cerebral enough to be able to follow any highly technical ideas expressed in it.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Still working on Cloud Atlas. Feels like such a chore to read. I was hoping for more of a connection in each story. Although, that's not happening .

I'm into the third book of Hitchhikers. The Life, The Universe, and Everything has been a fun read so far. I love the characters of this series. They never provide a dull moment at all.

I also picked up a Stephen King collection of novels in a single bound book from Barnes and Noble this weekend. It contains Carrie, Salem's Lot, and The Shining. This is my first read into the horror/fantasy genre. I read Something Wicked This Way Comes once upon a time and I figured I'd like King as well. I've started with The Shining to acquaint myself with Stephen King. I'm five chapters in and I'm loving it so far.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
A Farewell To Arms

I, um, read it in high school, but thought I should actually read it this time.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

A Farewell To Arms

I, um, read it in high school, but thought I should actually read it this time.

Just got this out of the garage to read it again for the third time. Big Hemingway fan here.

Picked up 'To Kill a Mockingbird' today. Somehow, I've never read this.

I also picked up The Hobbit from the library. Decided that I should probably knock this series out, as I've never read any of the books or seen the movies. Hopefully I get sucked in like others do, so I can get excited about watching the movies. Thought I'd start with the Hobbit and work my way through.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
To Kill a Mockingbird is a phenomenal book.

I just downloaded "Notorious Nineteen", which is the latest book in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I really like that series because it's very light. Can fly through them and it's a nice change of pace from a lot of other stuff I read.

Also downloaded "Conspiracy of Fools", a book about Enron.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Still working on Cloud Atlas.

For you, I recommend Atlas Shrugged.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Ever the comedian you are

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thomas Jefferson The American Lion and a book about Quana Parker and the Comanches.

The American Lion is a little dense and I had to set it down for a while.

Legend
Legend
Just picked up "The Art of War" and Machiavelli's "The Prince".

Although I set it aside about 6 weeks ago, I'm also reading "Winkie".... it is the story of a teddy bear of the same name who was accused and imprisoned for over nine thousand charges including terrorism, sodomy, witchcraft, treason and others.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just picked up the novel...Cross Roads, by WM Paul Young... Same Author of the Shack.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I also picked up a Stephen King collection of novels in a single bound book from Barnes and Noble this weekend. It contains Carrie, Salem's Lot, and The Shining. This is my first read into the horror/fantasy genre. I read Something Wicked This Way Comes once upon a time and I figured I'd like King as well. I've started with The Shining to acquaint myself with Stephen King. I'm five chapters in and I'm loving it so far.

King has a new novel out this year called Doctor Sleep starring Danny Torrence as an adult.

If you find yourself becoming a fan, read IT and The Stand.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

this series. I'm on book one and I'm loving every single page of what Douglas Adams put together. I have the whole collection in one giant leather bound book.

Happy Towel Day!

His Dirk Gently books are just as awesome if not better.

Check out Google.

Rookie
Rookie
For anyone into Military Sci-Fi. John Ringo ROCKS! A series about several different alien races, all involved in a war across the universe.

Another series in the present, about a former SOG, nicknamed "Ghost"

Three or four other series, all worth reading.

You won't be sorry!

I'm hiding in Honduras, I'm a desperate man.
Send lawyers guns and money!

Warren Zevon
2nd String
2nd String
I was given a Kindle Fire for Christmas by my girlfriend/common law and have been reading the Brian Herbert Dune books. Took a break and read the 2nd book in the Hunger Games series. Love this Kindle.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... What are you Reading?? (Book Thread)

Link Copied to Clipboard