Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I'm feeling a little underwhelmed about this hire. 2007 was a great year though, and I hope we can see more of that. I'm just looking forward to getting a coaching staff and GM in place and seeing how we do in 2013.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That's not true at all.

Our defensive line gets a ton better, our secondary remains the same. JMJ played MLB in a 3-4 in college, DQ has played at MLB in a 3-4, Sheard has been a pass rusher standing up this year even. They would need a lot more depth and a starting OLB, but not 2-3 years backwards bad.

I agree. It will definitely change up our LBs, but Cogong, Jackson both played decent ILB in our 3-4 with Rob Ryan. I think JMJ fits that ILB position. Sheard will have to transition to OLB and we'll have to find another starting one via draft or FA. Hopefully that Damontre Moore or whatever will be there and we can draft him (or even better Jarvis Jones). We had to upgrade DE anyway......

I really don't think it'll be that bad on our D-Line. I don't see why Phil Taylor can't play it, and Rubin is experienced in it. Hughes and Wynn, we'll have to see what they can do.

But yeah, OLB will have to be upgraded, see ya Frostee. I dunno if that guy Parker can play it, but he's pretty old as it is. So, 3-4 OLB has to be upgraded and guys like LJ Fort and Craig Robertson will have to try and figure out 3-4 ILB. But it's not the end of the world or anything.

Obviously, I'd prefer keeping Jauron and the defense in-tact. Some sort of continuity with a coaching change is a good thing IMO. So I'd like to keep Jauron. Plus I prefer the 4-3. But 3-4 doesn't have to be that big of a set back. Especially if it's implemented in a smart way. (Or if the guy running it is Big Romeo Crennel, whom I would love to bring back. His record as a DC is as good as anyone's. I loved watching him speed waddle onto the field to throw that challenge flag, and I loved his smile. I hated his time management and actual challenges, but that's over for him. I'd love a RAC Attack 3-4 Defense, lol. Loved Romeo the guy and Loved Rob Ryan the guy (definitely my favorite in replays of any coach, lol))

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont like the 3-4 at all and think it is stupid to go back to the 3-4 when this D is so close to being a superbowl caliber defense.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I don't think we are far off either way.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I dont like the 3-4 at all and think it is stupid to go back to the 3-4 when this D is so close to being a superbowl caliber defense.

Are you kidding? Superbowl Caliber?

C
Legend
Legend
C
3-4 defense

RDE - Rucker
NT - Rubin/Taylor
LDE - Winn
ROLB - ???
ILB - Jackson
ILB - ???
LOLB - Sheard

Secondary the same.

The best situation would be that the Cardinals hire someone who doesn't want to keep Ray Horton and we somehow get him. Someone mentioned Rob Ryan, I would hate that. He is all talk, no results. John Pagano, Chuck's brother, was Norv's defensive coordinator in San Diego.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

3-4 defense

RDE - Rucker
NT - Rubin/Taylor
LDE - Winn
ROLB - ???
ILB - Jackson
ILB - ???
LOLB - Sheard

Secondary the same.

The best situation would be that the Cardinals hire someone who doesn't want to keep Ray Horton and we somehow get him. Someone mentioned Rob Ryan, I would hate that. He is all talk, no results. John Pagano, Chuck's brother, was Norv's defensive coordinator in San Diego.

You also forgot Billy Winn and John Hughes.

Our defensive line actually is made for the 3-4 pretty damn well.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Welcome back to Cleveland Chudzinski! I'm happy.

I didn't want Chip Kelly. Saban intrigued me but he wasn't leaving Bama (I wouldn't either). Zimmer is defensive, so that seemed like a wrong path...we need to be better on offense first and foremost.

And wow, Norv as OC. Interesting to find out who will call the plays.

Yes, keep Jauron.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's like he never left....at least according to the payroll. His extension that he signed paid him up until 2011 so he was only unpaid by us for one season before coming back.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I mentioned Rob Ryan, but mostly just saying I liked watching him on the sideline.

I agree, Rex's defenses have always been better than Rob Ryan's. The Jet's defense before this year was always great to watch. I like watching Rob Ryan, and he makes the game exciting, but that's not always a good thing when the secondary is getting torched (and thus it's exciting for the other team)

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Great Hire for the Browns!

Chud is a good coach, and a good offensive mind. I think we got ourselves a real winner with this guy. I was happy when Chud was here in 2007, I love is aggressive style as a playcaller..I think he will make a great Head Coach for us, and he is only 44 he could be here awhile!

Welcome back home to cleveland Chud!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding? Superbowl Caliber?

I am not joking in the least. We are missing a key component in the blind side pass rusher and we are still playing some pretty good football. I think it is very close. Hey people thought I was kidding when I said we would have a top 5 OL this year too :P

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Interesting hire.
For Mangini to replace him with Brian Daboll just shows you how much of a idiot Mangini was.
one thing about Chudzinski,he will attack vertically. None of this 3 and 5 yard crossing routes on 3rd and 9.
His 2 years as the Panthers OC they finished 5th and 18th in scoring.
I would not be a bit surprised if DeAngelo Williams was a Brown in 2013.
He's young and will offer some fresh ideas.
I expect him to bring in a veteran QB in to compete with Weeden, who shouldn't be handed the starting QB job like he was in 2012.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
oh boy its Son of Eotab.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am not joking in the least. We are missing a key component in the blind side pass rusher and we are still playing some pretty good football. I think it is very close. Hey people thought I was kidding when I said we would have a top 5 OL this year too :P

I guess it all depends on what you call superbowl caliber. I mean, Packers of two years ago or Giants of last year?

I do agree we need another rusher (may be even two, Parker is getting old....), but I also think we needed a better corner and we obviously need a FS to replace Usama Young.

If we wanted a defense that was capable of being the backbone of a superbowl team though, I think we had a bit of a way to go for sure. Our defense was nowhere near 49er quality or Giant's quality of last year IMO. Or as good as those Jet defenses when they were in the AFC Championships 2 and 3 years ago

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Rob is a very good coach but he has never had the elite type talent to work with that Rex had in Baltimore. I think Rob did his best job of coaching this year. Hell the Cowboys lost 5 or 6 starters on D and that D played hard.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Rob Chudzinski calls a better game than he talks.

The Carolina Panthers’ offensive coordinator – a sought-after head-coaching candidate this past offseason after directing Carolina’s offensive resurgence – speaks in generalities when discussing what his innovative scheme might look like in year two with Cam Newton at the controls.

The man known in NFL circles as “Chud” talks about improving techniques and fundamentals, finding complements to packages that were successful last year and staying ahead of defensive coordinators who have had an offseason to study Newton and Chudzinski’s multi-layered attack.

“That’s one of the things we’ve stressed with our guys. Every year’s a new season and you have to start from scratch,” Chudzinski said during a recent interview. “You start at the bottom and you have to climb the mountain to get to where you want to be.”

Chudzinski wants to be where just about every assistant coach at any level wants to be – in the office with the nice view, plush carpet and HEAD COACH nameplate on the door.

Chudzinski nearly got there last winter, when he interviewed with Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and St. Louis after the Panthers jumped from last in the league in offense to seventh in his first season. Ultimately, Chudzinski lost out to Mike Mularkey, Greg Schiano and Jeff Fisher, respectively.

They were Chudzinski’s first interviews for a head-coaching position; Panthers coach Ron Rivera said they won’t be his last.

In the meantime, Chudzinski – referred to as a “genius” by one of his Panthers players and a “grinder” by another – has work to do on this August afternoon. Glancing at his watch less than 10 minutes into a scheduled interview, Chudzinski tells a reporter he has to get going.

The Panthers are more than two weeks away from their first regular-season game. But Chudzinski has practice tape to watch, opponents to study and a playbook to cram more plays into.

Effort and intelligence

Panthers tight end Greg Olsen breaks coaches into two categories: those who outwork their opponents and those who outthink them. Then there’s Chudzinski.

“There’s usually two kinds of guys. The grinder, who guts his way through because he just outworks everyone. And then there’s just the smart guy, who just naturally has a mind for putting things together and anticipating defenses and tendencies,” Olsen said. “Chud is the combination of both.”

Olsen, who, like Chudzinski, is a former University of Miami tight end, said Chudzinski sees things during games and has a knack for calling the right play against different defensive alignments. But it’s more than having a high football IQ.

“He has the mind to call and anticipate what a coverage is going to be. And we happen to get the perfect call,” Olsen said. “Well, it’s not by accident. It’s because he studies and puts the time in to get all his studies and reports on his piece of paper for gameday because of the hours he puts in.

“It’s rare you find a guy that has both of those qualities.”

Chudzinski worked his way up the coaching ladder rung by rung. He advanced from graduate assistant to tight ends coach to offensive coordinator during 10 years at his alma mater.

He was Miami’s coordinator under in 2001 when the Hurricanes won the national championship. The next season Miami set school records for points, total yards and rushing touchdowns.

Chudzinski followed Butch Davis to Cleveland in 2004, and went to San Diego the following season after the Browns fired Davis. When Chudzinski returned as the Browns’ coordinator under Romeo Crennel in 2007, he looked to be on the fast track to a head-coaching job.

With quarterback Derek Anderson, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and two other offensive players earning Pro Bowl berths, the Browns went 10-6 and finished eighth in total offense and scoring.

But Cleveland bottomed out the next year amid injuries to several key players, including Anderson, who is Newton’s backup with the Panthers. Crennel was fired and Chudzinski accepted the tight ends position in San Diego, reuniting with Norv Turner and Rivera, the Chargers’ defensive coordinator.

When the Panthers hired Rivera in 2011, his first choice to run the offense was Chudzinski.

‘Sky is the limit’

With Rivera’s background as a defensive coach, he wanted someone who could oversee the offense while Rivera was on the defensive field. Rivera has given Chudzinski nearly full autonomy.

During the season, the two meet early in the week to go over the offensive game plan. If Chudzinski has a couple of new or trick plays he’s considering using, he has Rivera look at them during walkthroughs before practice.

Rivera said he has yet to veto a Chudzinski call.

“With Chud, there are no lines. It’s just go out and do it, which I think is great,” Rivera said. “He has a progression of learning and the way he teaches things. He starts with simple, basic things and from there the sky is the limit.”

After struggling with accuracy during the preseason, Newton flourished in Chudzinski’s system, a mix of the zone-read package similar to what Newton ran at Auburn and a vertical stretch passing attack that Chudzinski developed in Cleveland and San Diego.

The scheme played to Newton’s strengths as a runner and passer. He broke Peyton Manning’s rookie passing record, scored more rushing touchdowns in a single season than êny quarterback in history and became the first player to throw for 4,000 yards and run for 500 in a season.

But it wasn’t just Newton.

Steve Smith produced his first 1,000-yard receiving season since 2008, and DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart teamed with Newton to become the first trio in league history to rush for 700 yards each.

As a team, the Panthers led the league in plays of 20 yards or more (90), and scored 48 touchdowns a year after finishing with a franchise low of 17 in John Fox’s final season. The Panthers’ leap from 32nd to seventh in total offense was the biggest one-year improvement since St. Louis improved 26 spots in 1999.

“He’s really just a genius,” Stewart said of Chudzinski. “He spends a lot of time with the offense trying to create ways for players to be successful. That’s what a good offensive coordinator and coach is all about. He does a good job of explaining what he wants, and what he expects out of us individually and collectively.”

Stewart believes the Panthers only scratched the surface last season of what they can do offensively. Without OTAs and minicamp, the Panthers arrived in Spartanburg following the lockout with three weeks to install a new offense.

The learning curve was steep.

“To be honest, it took probably until Week 8 or Week 9 to really grasp the whole offense,” wide receiver Brandon LaFell said. “Going out there and being comfortable, knowing where to line up and not thinking about what I’ve got to do at the line of scrimmage, but knowing exactly what I need to do in the huddle.”

Chudzinski said the Panthers should benefit from having a true offseason “to go back to the basics, re-install things and get better at the core of what we’re doing.”

The Panthers will add to what they’re doing, as well. Asked at training camp if the playbook was thicker this year, Stewart smiled and nodded.

Time will come

Chudzinski only needs to walk down the hall in the coaches offices at Bank of America Stadium to find a great resource on the process of becoming a head coach. Rivera interviewed for nine NFL head coaching positions before the Panthers hired him.

Before his first interview last winter, Chudzinski talked to Rivera about what to expect.

“We talked about the things he needed to be prepared for, the questions he’ll get, all those kinds of things,” Rivera said. “Believe me, I was very happy that he got the opportunity. I was torn that he got the opportunity. And I know he’s going to get that opportunity again. He’s a dynamic person.”

The knock on some coordinators is that they’re Xs-and-Os guys who lack the attributes needed to be a successful head coach, namely leadership ability and communication and organizational skills.

Rivera said that’s not the case with Chudzinski.

“He’s dynamic, a sharp guy. He thinks outside the box. And I know his time’s coming,” Rivera said. “The big key is it’s got to be the right situation, the right fit. You don’t take jobs to take jobs. I’ve learned that over the last few years.”

Panthers offensive quality control Scott Turner spends as much time with Chudzinski as anyone on the staff, and sits next to him in the press box when Chudzinski is calling plays. Turner, son of Chargers coach Norv Turner, said Chudzinski has the makeup to be a head coach.

“Chud’s got the ability to do whatever he wants in this profession,” Turner said. “I’ve been very impressed working for him and seeing what he does. I don’t think there’s any limitations on his coaching career.”

But on this muggy August day, as players file past him on their way to the stadium after practice, Chudzinski has other things on his mind.

“It was a great experience. I was very flattered to have the opportunity to do that and be able to talk and meet a number of people at those organizations that I talked with,” he said. “Obviously, if the opportunity ever comes, great. But I’m enjoying every minute of this and being with this group of guys and coming to work every day.”

And with that, Chudzinski goes back to work, ducking into a stadium door and heading upstairs to his office. There is tape to watch, plays to draw and defensive coordinators around the league trying to stop him.

Charlotte Observer

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Color me skeptical!

I dont know if I have a strong opinion either way on Chud...I think he'll do a good job as he is often prepared...

but my knocks are these:
1. Misuse of DeAngelo Williams, Jonathon Stewart, and Mike Tolbert/Mike Goodson
2. Cam taking a step back (Could be sophomore slump)
3. Norv? Ugh...he was not good at using LT, or Ryan Mathews...though he was okay with Tolbert...he didnt use him well as a runner...
4. Two offensive guys that arent great with RBs and we have Trent? Use him like AP!
5. Romeo Crennell maybe as DC? Or Mel Tucker? why?...did Todd Grantham turn it down? Is Foge Fazio too busy? Who else do we wanna bring back...Mo Carthon? Terry Robiskie? Was Chris Palmer busy? Think Rip Scherer is free? Why do we want to bring around these guys that have been busts! I dont trust Norv and I already dont care for the DC names being bandied about...
6. Is Chud ready? People in Carolina werent happy with him as OC (sounds like Shurmur did)
7. The guy is okay...but he hasnt exactly been winning in the NFL yet. Carolina stunk in his 2 years there...SD was eh when he was there...we didnt make the playoffs and was OC in the disaster that was 08...idk.

Im skeptical for those reasons...

as for the 3-4? Thats fine.
DL, Phil, Rubin, Winn...Hughes rotates in at DT, Phil goes inside on passing downs...Rucker is 270 so he can weight up a little and be a DE...
OLBs...Sheard, Robertson, and we gotta find a couple in FA...Gocong can play outside...DRAFT one first round...Werner, Damontre, Sam Montgomery
ILBs...DQ, JMJ, Fort, and Robertson?

Were fine if we go 3-4.

Offense could be dangerous...but ive always loved the idea of run run run...short pass, draw in the D...then use Benji and Gordon to pull the top off deep...and Cameron in the seam.

I see positives...Watson can come back and Cameron will get use...Our WRs will work.

but I worry that the Chud/Norv style of offense doesnt use many routes and certainly arent complex...and i dont wanna see TRich used like ANY SD RBs and I dont wanna see him used like Ray Rice either (Cameron). I dont think I like it...and if Norv comes...will Cameron come and be QB coach? I dont want that either...

Im worried for our coordinators

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would be. Why would we bring in a RB to compete with Trent Richardson?

Trent can do it all and he's young. Unless Williams is brought in as a true number two, I really don't see the point..... And I don't think Williams wants to come to the Browns and get like 80 carries in a season or less

I wouldn't be surprised about the QB thing, but DeAngelo Williams, I just don't see it

Last edited by Referee2; 01/11/13 08:36 AM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

There is no point in paying two running backs big money. I believe the Panthers would take a huge cap hit if they cut or traded Williams as well. Richardson is a perfect fit for Chudzinski.

Quote:

I expect him to bring in a veteran QB in to compete with Weeden, who shouldn't be handed the starting QB job like he was in 2012.

I hear Derek Anderson is available.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

5. Romeo Crennell maybe as DC? Or Mel Tucker? why?...did Todd Grantham turn it down? Is Foge Fazio too busy? Who else do we wanna bring back...Mo Carthon? Terry Robiskie? Was Chris Palmer busy? Think Rip Scherer is free? Why do we want to bring around these guys that have been busts! I dont trust Norv and I already dont care for the DC names being bandied about...

How the Heck do you put Mel Tucker, Todd Grantham, and these other cats in with Romeo?

Sure, same team. But definitely not same coordinator

Romeo was great with the Pats. He was very good when he was DC here. He was very good on the Chiefs. Don't start bringing up the other guys and put them in the same category as Romeo.........

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I just dont want guys who flamed out here coming back...He has been a good DC, i just want nothing to do with him

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I just dont want guys who flamed out here coming back...He has been a good DC, i just want nothing to do with him

Give me Romeo and I'll be very happy. If we're switching to a 3-4 Defense, Romeo sounds good to me.

Do you have any better ideas for who should run our 3-4? The guy failed as a HC, but it doesn't mean he can't be our defensive coordinator.

Who would you rather have run a 3-4 then Romeo? Guy's done a great job wherever he's gone as a defensive coordinator.

Don't really understand your logic. I mean, it would be like if the Chargers could have Drew Brees back but they said, "Eh, he flamed out here, forget about him." Like having an opportunity to grab an Eight in Crazy Eights but you put it back because you already used one in the game.......

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
oo its the comic relief. I mean whenever you talk football you come off as a freaking joke.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
You know, some guys just aren't great coaches. Norv for example is an offensive genius. And he's magnificent when his job is just calling plays. You put him in a head coach position and the team follows the demeanor of the coach. His teams never seemed motivated until it was put up or shut up later on in the season. Right when they realize that they could back their way into winning their division.

Personally, I like Norv as OC, I think with Chud's ingenuity and Norv's playcalling that the offense could be something more than offensive.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Post deleted by Referee2

O
Legend
Legend
O
I liked Chud before. I didn't like Romeo. We'll see how he pans out, but we could have done worse... At least I know who he is this time.

Good luck Chud!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You see on Madden DeAngelo is really good so of course Kendall wants to add him. Now in the real world it wont happen but why let actual football get in the way of a fantasty thought process

lol, watch it happen amigo. Then you'll be pretty embarrassed, as "The Storm" comes upon you and rubs it in your face non-stop.

Then you go off the deep end like Eotab with Deepthreat, and you'll live up to what he called you, "The Son of Eotab". lol

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
My thoughts:

I liked Chud when he was OC here and that 2007 year was the most exciting offense I have ever seen since I've been a fan. He is young, was a browns fan growing up, and from articles seems to have an innovative mind. You can cell them fluff pieces, which they maybe, but I don't remember any articles talking about Pat Shurmur as an innovative mind.

Hack like you, I remember at the end people were on Chud's case pretty bad but if I recall Ken Dorsey had to start some games and it was probably a case of disappointed expectations and injuries that left people sour on him. Either way he completely changed his offense style to accent the strengths of Cam Newton. Now it is true that Cam had a sophomore slump but we truly cannot know how much that was because of defensive or Mopey Cam

With that said he is the new Cleveland Browns coach and I will support him just as much as I have supported all the rest.

OC:
IF Chud can bring Norv Turner that would be an amazing hire. Say what you want to about Norv the head coach, Norv the coordinator has always been good. .

DC:
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a report about an attacking style defense. While it is true that Crennel and Chud are probably on good terms I would never describe Crennel's defense as an attacking style defense.

For me an attacking style defense is in the style of Rex & Rob Ryan, Ray Horton, or Wade Phillips. Rob is available and has worked here before so he is a possibility. Also I believe most assistant coaches have a clause in their contract that if the head coach is fired they are allowed to accept lateral hries from another team so Horton maybe available. If Chud really does want an attacking style defense it seems Rob Ryan would be the guy and his defense it wasn't the defense who throw a bone headed interception to kill them in the Redskins game.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
j/c

After all these years when it seems that the fan base helped running out of town their losing HCs, there is a new owner doing it the opposite way in bringing in a Browns fan as HC. Rookie owner but a smart businessman decision

Last edited by Austrodawg; 01/11/13 02:13 AM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

1. Misuse of DeAngelo Williams, Jonathon Stewart, and Mike Tolbert/Mike Goodson

In 2011 Williams and Stewart combined for 1,597 rushing yards and 11 TDs at 5.4 yards per carry. They combined for 548 receiving yards. Goodson didn't have one carry in 2011.

In 2012 Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert combined for 1,256 rushing yards and 13 TDs at 3.76 yards per carry. They combined for 612 yards receiving. (Stewart missed 7 games due to injury).

Quote:

2. Cam taking a step back (Could be sophomore slump)

Cam Newton 2011 - 4,051 passing yards, 21 TDs, 17 INTs, 84.5 QB rating. 706 yards rushings, 14 TDs. 6 - 10 record.

Cam Newton 2012 - 3,869 passing yards, 19 TDS, 12 INTs, 86.2 QB rating. 741 yards rushing, 8 TDs. 7 - 9 record. (Multiple weird press conference appearances).

Quote:

3. Norv? Ugh...he was not good at using LT, or Ryan Mathews...though he was okay with Tolbert...he didnt use him well as a runner...

Turner's first year in San Diego was 2007.

LaDainian Tomlinson 2007 (age 28) - 1,474 rushing yards, 15 TDs at 4.7 yards per carry. 475 receiving yards.
LaDainian Tomlinson 2008 (age 29) - 1,110 rushing yards, 11 TDs at 3.8 yards per carry. 426 receiving yards. (Darren Sproles was very good for the Chargers this yßar).
LaDainian Tomlinson 2009 (age 30) - 730 rushing yards, 12 TDs at 3.3 yards per carry. 154 receiving yards. (Tomlinson missed 2 games due to injury and Darren Sproles was very good for the Chargers this year).
Ryan Mathews 2010 (rookie season) - 678 rushing yards, 7 TDs at 4.3 yards per carry. 145 receiving yards. (Mathews missed 4 games due to injury. Mike Tolbert ran for 735 yards and 11 TDs at 4.0 yards per carry).
Ryan Mathews 2011 - 1,091 rushing yards, 6 TDs at 4.9 yards per carry. 455 receiving yards. *PRO BOWL* (Mathews missed 2 games due to injury. Mike Tolbert ran for 490 yards and 8 TDs at 4.0 yards per carry).

Quote:

4. Two offensive guys that arent great with RBs and we have Trent?

Wrong.

*Side note*

Jamal Lewis 2007 - 1,304 rushing yards, 9 TDs at 4.4 yards per carry. 248 receiving yards (also hands of stone).

Quote:

Romeo Crennell maybe as DC? Or Mel Tucker? why?...did Todd Grantham turn it down? Is Foge Fazio too busy? Who else do we wanna bring back...Mo Carthon? Terry Robiskie? Was Chris Palmer busy? Think Rip Scherer is free? Why do we want to bring around these guys that have been busts! I dont trust Norv and I already dont care for the DC names being bandied about...

There has been no official word of any defensive coordinators linked to us at the moment.

Foge Fazio is dead.

Quote:

6. Is Chud ready? People in Carolina werent happy with him as OC (sounds like Shurmur did)

We will find out. Link? Shurmur was unimaginative and ran an archaic offense that he ran poorly. Chudzinski mixed his vertical passing offense with things Cam Newton did well at Auburn.

Quote:

7. The guy is okay...but he hasnt exactly been winning in the NFL yet. Carolina stunk in his 2 years there...SD was eh when he was there...we didnt make the playoffs and was OC in the disaster that was 08...idk.

Carolina went from 2 wins in 2010 without Chudzinski (and Newton) to 6 wins in 2011 and then 7 wins in 2012. That is progress. Chudzinski was in San Diego in 2005 and 2006 then again in 2009 and 2010. In 2005 San Diego was 9 - 7. 2006 14 - 2. 2009 13 - 3. 2010 9 - 7. Eh.

We didn't make the playoffs because the Colts rested their starters. 08 was a disaster.

Quote:

Im skeptical for those reasons...

Now that you know none of your reasons are valid, you don't have to be skeptical anymore.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Foge Fazio is dead.

Well cross him OFF then!

Sorry had to inject some Rachel Phelps with that comment lol.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Let's see .... how do I feel about this hire ....?

YES! Excellent!

OK, let me be perfectly honest here ..... Bruce Arians was my first choice, but Chud was "1b". Chud is definitely younger, and can conceivably coach here for a long time to come.

I am glad that he is bringing in an offensive coordinator with him. I am also perfectly fine with Norv Turner as OC. I think that Turner has been a quality OC ..... but has sucked as a head coach. I think that they will work well with the offensive talent the Browns have.

I will not be happy if we switch back to the 3-4. (which is weird, because I have always preferred the 3-4) I do feel that this team has significant talent on the DL right now, which is the cornerstone of the 4-3. If we switch back to the 3-4, then we have to hope that Sheard can handle OLB ...... put some weight on Robertson and JMJ, and hope that everyone can learn a new defense quickly. The 3-4 is generally more complicated that the 4-3 as far as players learning it. Plus, I feel like we are taking away from the strength of our defense. LB immediately goes to the top of our draft board, specifically OLB, if we do make that change.

Overall though, I am very happy. My first choice was Arians, but Chud became my 1b when it was announced that he was interviewed .. so I am happy.

Now we just have to stay committed to him, and let him grow into the role of head coach, like Banner and Haslam said they would.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Well , in my honest opinion our new ownership over valued the Prestige of the Browns job and who would want to coach here....That combined with the Kelly & O'Brien show wasting the NFL's time once again , left us behind the 8 Ball....** I wish Chudzinski much success here in Cleveland....I just would of preferred that a Quality Veteran Coach been hired , IF that is they could of signed one , which it appears they could not = SMH ....Obviously , I would like to see Jauron stay & the Defense intact as well.

The Mammal
Legend
Legend
Chudzinski's hiring makes sense - Marla - Ohio
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/marla/marla-ri...-sense-1.364177

At first glance, the Browns hiring of Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as coach Thursday night seemed surprising, especially when their two-week search included much bigger names.

But in many ways it makes perfect sense.

At 44, he’s relatively young.

He’s intelligent (earning an MBA from the University of Miami), a tireless worker and an innovative offensive mind.

He grew up in Toledo rooting for the Kardiac Kids. His family came to the games in his two previous stints with the Browns..

He’s experienced the Browns’ struggles firsthand after serving as offensive coordinator in 2007-08 under coach Romeo Crennel and tight ends coach in 2004 under Butch Davis.

He had a huge hand in one of the best Browns offensive seasons in team history. In 2007, the Browns scored 402 points, their third-best all-time. Receiver Braylon Edwards broke Gary Collins’ record for receiving touchdowns that had stood for 44 years and quarterback Derek Anderson tossed 29 TD passes and went to the Pro Bowl. A 10-6 season led to contract extensions for Crennel, Anderson and general manager Phil Savage.

Chudzinski played tight end at the University of Miami and won two national championships, so he knows the chemistry needed to make a team a winner. He also coached 10 years there

Before owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner became infatuated with Oregon’s Chip Kelly, it seemed as if they were searching for the next Mike Tomlin. The perception was they would end up with an unknown assistant with no previous head coaching experience but possessing the leadership and charisma to inspire NFL players. Chudzinski isn’t unknown here, but he fits that profile. Under him, Anderson, Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow had their most productive NFL seasons. He seems ready for his big break.

After Davis resigned with five games remaining in 2004, interim coach Terry Robiskie tabbed Chudzinski to call the plays, unusual since Chudzinski was so close to Davis. Browns tight ends considered that a sign of respect from Robiskie.

"As a kid I wanted to grow up and play here; this I guess is the next best thing,” Chudzinski said then.

In fact, on the day Davis’ departure was announced, owner Randy Lerner was asked if he would recommend any of the current assistants to be retained by the next regime.

"I'm not into meddling and I don't even want to do things that are that close," Lerner said that day. "I do think there are talented guys and Chudzinski is great."

Evidently Haslam and Banner saw the same thing in Chudzinski. To some, that may seem frightening, especially considering Lerner's track record in hiring. At the moment, I’m not among them. Something about Chudzinski's hiring seems right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

CHUD!!!
ChUD!!!
CHUD!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first head coach we have had since Marty that I really wanted to see be the Browns HC. I thought he was an absolute genius at creating mismatches and getting people wide open. Honestly, this is the best thing that could have happened to Weeden, Gordon and Little.

Hey Banner and Haslam showed me they arent as dumb as most in the media were making them out to be with the McDaniels/Lombardi stuff. This is a big time win for the Browns. I am elated with this decision. Cant wait to hear what the guy has to say.

Pretty much this ^^^

Still have mixed feelings on J&J since they went so hard after Chip and Chud seemed to be their xth "choice" if he even was on the radar at the beginning, but Chud fits what both men probably wanted: Haslam a good PR with a young up and coming HC to keep long term and Banner with a "I was the only one who interviewd Reid"-ego hire. So, at least they had a good plan E,F, G or whatever Chud represented

I'm just happy we hired a HC that fits what we already have on Offense, even though it means learning a new terminology....pretty much ALL of Weeden, TRich, Gordon, Little and even Cameron fit this style the most, so if they don't succeed in that, they're probably toast or have already reached their NFL "ceiling"

On one hand, J&J managed to not hit one of my "runaway checkdown" predictions, as I thought they were going after a "name" HC to give a lot of power to (although they were reportedly in on some of those). Otoh, the Heckert firing seems even worse now, since Chud hardly is the "experienced", personnel HC to give so much say, so it still looks like Banner wanted to be the "real" GM no matter what and they straight up lied us in our faces why Heckert had to leave...it was 100% personal BS, that should be clear by now, as it will be hard to find a GM as competent as Heckert on the open market. Upgrading on Shurmur was an easy thing to do, but Heckert not so much, so the "we'll evaluate everyone" was pure PR BS and they were going tablua rasa anyway.

However, this hiring, no matter how it came to it, has this dawg's curiosity again, so if not for a horrible GM hiring and an epic fail offseason it probably will keep me watching 2013 to see what Chud can do with this young Offense. Very excited for the vertical Offense

Here's hope that we keep the D scheme the same for some continuity and retain Jauron, who seems to be a good egg.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
So Very True.

The Mammal
Legend
Legend
NFL Network said that the introductory presser will be at 11am.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

NFL Network said that the introductory presser will be at 11am.

Interesting hire. I'm down with Turner at OC.

Rumored 3-4 switch?

Can Sheard drop in coverage at OLB?

Because OLB would then be our most dire draft need. And there's several who could be studs.

Jones
Moore
Werner
Jordan

We've got 1 of the 2 hardest 3-4 spots filled at NT. Need the OLB pass push.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Even though they whiffed on Kelly, I take heart in the fact that they did some due diligence in interviewing several candidates before settling in with Chud. I even like the though of Turner as OC as I thought he would be great here--I posted as much in one of the other threads . . .

The GM spot will be intriguing, I am thinking that, on the surface Django is right. Not sure who they would hire now for that spot.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski

Link Copied to Clipboard