DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Rambo Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:13 AM
Being reported right now.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=834215-browns-rob-chudzinski-hired#ixzz2HdKKmxdU

Browns | Rob Chudzinski hired

The Cleveland Browns have hired Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach.

2013-01-10 19:12:58 | Source: ESPN - Chris Mortensen

Posted By: candyman92 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski *DELETED* - 01/11/13 03:16 AM
Post deleted by Referee2
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:16 AM
wow.....

web page
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:17 AM
whoaaa.. we got a new head coach?

I see the twitter world is hating the decision.. but I'm okay with it.. I liked him when he was here. I think he and Weeds will be great together.. I know for sure Jordan Cameron will get more work.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:19 AM
I'm just glad it's not whisenhunt. Good luck, chud.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:20 AM
Even if you don't think it is a good hire (which I do) you got to love the story. Lifelong Browns fan gets a shot to coach his favorite team. Hopefully it ends with a happy ending.

Very cool.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:20 AM
Has he been a head coach at any level?

wonder if he'll be calling plays or bring in someone to do so.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:20 AM
Welcome back Chud !
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:20 AM
I wish Chud well. I thought well of him when he was OC.

No more WCO, he runs the Norv Turner offense.
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:21 AM
Yessssssssss!!!!!!!!

Finally a coach that I actually got excited about! Well, I did when we landed Crennel...
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:22 AM
Quote:

Even if you don't think it is a good hire (which I do) you got to love the story. Lifelong Browns fan gets a shot to coach his favorite team. Hopefully it ends with a happy ending.

Very cool.

Personally I don't care about feel good stories as long as he gets the job done.

This is a "meh" hiring
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:23 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Very cool.

Personally I don't care about feel good stories as long as he gets the job done.

This is a "meh" hiring

I agree... Brady Quinn was a lifelong Browns fan too.... I just want a winner.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:25 AM
At least his heart is in it...
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:25 AM
I wonder if he brings Norv as an OC?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:25 AM
You got to love the way he adapted his offense to fit Cam Newton into it. Also, anyone who can get Derek Anderson to the Pro Bowl* is fine by me.

*Alternate
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:26 AM
Quote:

That is the rumor.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:26 AM
Quote:

I think I'd be ok with that... that could be pretty interesting actually....
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:26 AM
Well, I was kinda hoping for Zimmer but t this point it's all a hall of mirrors. I have no idea who will be good or not. I wish him best. I think it means we won't be doing the big tear down. I think anyway. And I hope. Instill have "Chud the dud" ringing in memory. Whatever, tabla rasa. Good luck dude.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski *DELETED* - 01/11/13 03:26 AM
Post deleted by Referee2
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:27 AM
Quote:

I agree... Brady Quinn was a lifelong Browns fan too.... I just want a winner.

Chud won't be out on the field throwing...He's going to be coaching...Again can we give the guy a chance....
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:28 AM
Quote:

Norv Turner as OC was just confirmed

This makes me happy.

Now if we can just keep Dick Jauron as our DC things will go well. I would like some continuity and Jauron would be a nice guy to keep around. Experienced guy left to run his defense the way he sees fit
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:29 AM
Quote:

Quote:

This makes me happy.

Now if we can just keep Dick Jauron as our DC things will go well. I would like some continuity and Jauron would be a nice guy to keep around. Experienced guy left to run his defense the way he sees fit

Can't agree more... would love for the defensive staff to stay as is...
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:29 AM

We fire Shurmur to replace him with Chudzinski? This makes no sense.
Posted By: DawgmaninCHARLOTTE Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:30 AM
I am totally fine with this Hiring. This is an Offensive minded coach whose play calling was fine when he was here with what he was given helping Crennel to a 10-6 record, nearly missing the playoffs with him. I believe he will use Jordan Cameron IN THE RIGHT SITUATIONS and more so use Richardson CORRECTLY. I am on board with this hiring, I just hope the defense stays getting better.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:32 AM
Well, he seems to fit what JJ said they were looking for. Welcome aboard, Chud.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:33 AM
Quote:

Well, he seems to fit what JJ said they were looking for. Welcome aboard, Chud.

plus someone who really wanted to be our coach... He wasn't my current first choice but he's growing on my quickly
Posted By: TripleOption Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:33 AM
Strangely, I'm excited at the thought of Chud and Turner...hmm
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:33 AM
Chudzinkski's offense > Shurmur's offense

times a kajillion
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:33 AM
web page

The Browns hired former Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their 14th fulltime head coach, a source told the Plain Dealer tonight.

He's also the sixth fulltime head coach since the Browns returned in 1999.

Chudzinski, 44, who was coordinator of the Panthers, interviewed with the Browns in Cleveland on Wednesday in Cleveland. He's expected to bring former Chargers coach Norv Turner as coordinator, a source said. The two are close.

A Toledo native and lifelong Browns fan, "Chud'' joined fellow former Hurricane coach Butch Davis as tight ends coach in 2004, and served as interim offensive coordinator in 2004 after Davis resigned. Chud coached the Chargers tight ends -- including All-Pro Antonio Gates -- in 2005 and 2006, and then returned to Cleveland as offensive coordinator in 2007 under Romeo Crennel.

In his first year as Browns OC, Chud helped the Browns to a 10-6 record and No. 8 ranking on offense. Four of his offensive players went to the Pro Bowl: quarterback Derek Anderson, receiver Braylon Edwards, left tackle Joe Thomas and tight end Kellen Winslow. The following year, the Browns went 4-12, plummeted to 31st on offense and Crennel was fired.

Chudzinski returned to San Diego and served as assistant head coach/tight ends coach in 2009-10. Last season, he was named Panthers' offensive coordinator and guided rookie quarterback Cam Newton to tremendous success. Newton became the first player in NFL history to pass for 4,000 yards and rush for 500 yards in a single season. The running game was equally effective as the Panthers became the first team in NFL history to have three players with 700 or more yards in the same season.

Last offseason, Chudzinski interviewed with the Jaguars, Rams and Buccaneers for their head coach vacancies.

Details to come.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:34 AM
Quote:

We fire Shurmur to replace him with Chudzinski? This makes no sense.

Offensively, I prefer Chud to Shurmur's style. Chud got better use out of Jamal Lewis than Shurmur out of Trent Richardson, and he had a more vertical attacking offense.

I think Chud probably told the coaching staff that he could work with Weeden (which I think he can). It's not like the guy didn't get interviews last year. And he had to interview with more teams than us.

He was coordinator for two years, and he got DA to do very well in one of them. People can say what they want, I always thought DA was a crock of bologna, where as Weeden I feel better about.

As I said, I just hope he keeps Jauron as an experienced DC for the time being. That would be the smartest decision.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:35 AM
CHUD!!!
ChUD!!!
CHUD!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first head coach we have had since Marty that I really wanted to see be the Browns HC. I thought he was an absolute genius at creating mismatches and getting people wide open. Honestly, this is the best thing that could have happened to Weeden, Gordon and Little.

Hey Banner and Haslam showed me they arent as dumb as most in the media were making them out to be with the McDaniels/Lombardi stuff. This is a big time win for the Browns. I am elated with this decision. Cant wait to hear what the guy has to say.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:36 AM
Differences in offensive approach will mean diddlysquat if the QB can't make timely reads and accurate throws.
Posted By: Buckeyed11 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:37 AM
so your beef is w Weeden, not Chud?
Posted By: Ammo Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:40 AM
Welcome back Chud!
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:40 AM
Quote:

Differences in offensive approach will mean diddlysquat if the QB can't make timely reads and accurate throws.

Now don't go all kendallstorm on us!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:42 AM
We could have hired worse choices.

Now, we need to find an OC who runs the game like Chudz did. I hope we keep the 4-3 on D, because we're tooled for it. Might as well keep Jauron, if that's the case. He'll also be a veteran presence, as Chuz is still young-ish, and it's his first HC post. Old-timers' advice could be invaluable.

When he was here, we ran a pretty high-octane vertical game. Lots of 20+ yard passes to BE, 10-15 yd out routes to Joe J, etc. That would be the way to go with the guys we have on the team now. We have the players for that kind of game, and it would possibly loosen D's who are keying on TRich.

I like that Chudz was aggressive, and didn't mind trying some unconventional things from time to time. That 2007 O was very entertaining to watch, and 10 wins with DA and that OL we had was no small feat. Though he'll have less contact with Weedz than he would as OC, he could be good for Brandon's development.

This will indeed be interesting. We have a young-ish, offensive-minded HC who has a reputation of "going for the win," and an aggressive owner who wants to win NOW. It will be interesting to see who comes on board next.

I think Chilly will probably be sent on his way.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:43 AM
More so I don't understand why they, being Haslam and Banner, cleaned house to only end up with Chud. They talked about how they wanted a savy coach with great leadership skills, experience, and everything that Shurmur wasn't. I don't see much of a change between Shurmur and Chud. Seems like a totally pointless reshuffle of the organization.

Weeden can improve but he regressed as the season went on. I hope he sets the league on fire in 2013 but I don't see it happening.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:43 AM
Quote:

Now, we need to find an OC who runs the game like Chudz did.

Someone like Norv?
Posted By: Buckeyed11 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:44 AM
come on, be optimistic
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:45 AM
I'm still watching the team. Isn't that enough
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:45 AM
Quote:

Where did you see that ?
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:46 AM
Ehh... we'll see. This hire doesn't exactly make me want to race out and plunk down my cash to renew my season tickets for 2013. I was hoping we'd pluck Zimmer from the Bungles. Much stronger leader, IMO. Oh well...

Good luck Chud... please don't suck.
Posted By: Adam_P Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:47 AM
Well how about that...

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/950162/page/0/vc/1
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:48 AM
Hey he's a home boy from Toledo...

And he may not be a big name ( yet ) But it's what Haslam wants.....Lets just see how it pans out.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:48 AM
I think Weeden can do good under Chud but I wouldnt rule out the drafting of a QB. Just like GM and HC, I think Haslam wants his guy at QB. Doesnt have to be a first rounder either. A lot of big armed QBs will be taken in the 2nd and 3rd this year.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:48 AM
Quote:

Well how about that...

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/950162/page/0/vc/1

Good call by you!
Posted By: CaptainCheckdown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:50 AM
Touche'.

I'm good with the hire. Folks can say what they will about Haslam/Banner (the latter of which I'm still a bit trepidatious about), but at least they actually underwent an extensive coaching search as opposed to slappin' a former buddy's son on the back and handing him the keys.
Posted By: Adam_P Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:51 AM
Is it bad that one of my first thoughts was "Banner wants to give the HC final say on the roster. The HC is now Chud. Chud knows Phil. Hopefully Chud wants to keep Phil." ??
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:54 AM

Looks like TE and FB will be in our off season acquisitions, unless Cameron is our good receiving TE and Smelley improves. Richardson and Weeden have to be loving this.
Posted By: FrostDawg31 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:55 AM

Looks like TE and FB will be in our off season acquisitions, unless Cameron is our good receiving TE and Smelley improves. Richardson and Weeden have to be loving this.

Owen Marecic!

Seriously though, wish we still had Vickers now
Posted By: DawgFace Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski *DELETED* - 01/11/13 03:56 AM
Post deleted by Referee2
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:00 AM
Cool Thanks
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:00 AM
I agree, mourg. Couldn't be a better duo for weeden than these two guys. Philip rivers should be Weeden's NFL role model and these guys know how to make that work. Downfield threats Gordon and Benjamin with Little an amped-up Jurevicious, Richardson playing the role of LT, and an OL better than anything Norv has had in San Diego recently. This could get very, very interesting if chud is up to the task and turner can swallow his pride.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:01 AM
Happy days are here again!! Come on Haslam lets get a great GM now!!!
Post deleted by Referee2
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:04 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Now, we need to find an OC who runs the game like Chudz did.

Someone like Norv?

Yeah, Grlfrnd- I just now saw that....

Once again- we could do worse.
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:06 AM
Nice to see all the love Chud is getting...and all the "I liked him when he was here" but I was here when he was here....and the hate was flowing....most would have driven him out of town in their own car.....I guess its possible those people just haven't chimed in yet.

HACK
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:07 AM
I'm really excited for the press conference tomorrow - hope someone asks him his defense philosophy...
Posted By: dawgofwar Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:07 AM
Take it with a grain of salt. Mary Kay is reporting we are switching to a 3-4
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:08 AM
Quote:

Nice to see all the love Chud is getting...and all the "I liked him when he was here" but I was here when he was here....and the hate was flowing....most would have driven him out of town in their own car.....I guess its possible those people just haven't chimed in yet.

HACK

I remember that as well... but that was when he was OC... now he's HC
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:09 AM
Love the hiring. Only issue I may not like is having to switch defensive schemes if that ends up holding true. We've done it too much already, and we're working on a good thing already.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:10 AM
Norv seems like the logical choice for OC. He needs a job and he and Chud are from the same system and have always maintained close ties. We will be running the Air Coryell scheme no matter.

DC and our defensive system remains the question.
Posted By: Flap Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:10 AM
Quote:

So are the reporters that actually break the news and not just retweet random accounts.
Posted By: TripleOption Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:10 AM
Quote:

Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:13 AM
The vocal minority of any fan base are usually morons. DA would overthrow an open receiver by 10 yards and there would be some yelling for the head of the coordinator. Chud's O put us in 5 or 6 prime time games but when the right side of the OL went down with injuries we never stood a chance.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:14 AM
did we run the 3-4 when he was here as OC? I wonder why they are thinking we're automatically switching and who they are thinking the DC would be.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:14 AM
Jc

I like this hire. When he was here previosly, our offense had a lot of fire in its belly. It was a lot of fun to watch. Hopefully he can bring that back to our team.
Posted By: ttimothygman Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:15 AM
As much as I hate switching back to the 3-4 I wonder if he will bring in Rob Ryan.
Posted By: Adam_P Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:16 AM
Quote:

when the right side of the OL went down with injuries we never stood a chance.

Not to mention Braylon cuts his foot on glass, Stallworth has hamstring issues all season, Jurevicius gets staph from playing in the mountains in California and Winslow gets staph in his junk.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:17 AM
My first thoughts were Romeo on D
Posted By: NYCDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:18 AM
I recall Chud being tight with Winslow, going back before Cleveland to their Miami days....it's possible.
Posted By: DawgFace Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:18 AM
Quote:

Quote:

HACK

I remember that as well... but that was when he was OC... now he's HC

07-08 Browns
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:19 AM
@HACK:

At the time, I never understood all that hate. I think it might have been backlash after games we lost, but daaaaang- we lost 4 fewer than we won that year.

Dude consistently put our team in a position to score points.... and I remember writing: "I never feel as though the game is out of reach, even if we're down by 10" ...or words to that effect.

OR.... maybe you're remembering comments made the following season, when we lost more than we won. Even then, I didn't have a problem with what Chud was trying to do.

That said, performance as an OC doesn't guarantee success as a HC- but Dude has earned the chance. With him as HC and Norv Turner (who never impressed me as a HC, but always seemed to get results as an OC), Cleve could make a few highlight reels during the weekly cycle... and possibly move up from the cellar of the AFCN.

Just sayin'...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:19 AM
I am surprisingly happier with this than I expected to be. Chud runs a nice vertical offense and had a good running game when he was here... Now let's get to work...

I wonder what this says about getting a GM...
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:19 AM
lol yea I had forgotten the K2 telling everyone he had staph so his girlfriend wouldnt find out he had the clap roflmao.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:23 AM
Quote:

HACK

This is certainly true and I remember it well. For me I just see a few very obvious mistakes out there and I'm "willing to be ok" with that this isn't one of them. I'm 42.867% cool with this this.... Which is 241% better than if we hired Kelly, Gruden, et al. We're officially at the "oh, what the hell, sure" point.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:24 AM
Good Lord... If we are, in fact switching to the 3-4 (again), then the first idiotic decision is already in the books. That will set the defense back 2-3 years. Hopefully, that's a rumor.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:27 AM
I have no problem with the hire. I actually think it is a solid move. Chud has been at a variety of levels and has had success as an OC. The Norv Turner system is solid.

I remember Chuds interviews about creating and taking advantages of mismatches. It is a philosophy that I agree with.

Weeden should do well in the Chud/Norv offense.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:35 AM
Quote:

That will set the defense back 2-3 years.

That's not true at all.

Our defensive line gets a ton better, our secondary remains the same. JMJ played MLB in a 3-4 in college, DQ has played at MLB in a 3-4, Sheard has been a pass rusher standing up this year even. They would need a lot more depth and a starting OLB, but not 2-3 years backwards bad.
Posted By: Flap Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:36 AM
Quote:

did we run the 3-4 when he was here as OC? I wonder why they are thinking we're automatically switching and who they are thinking the DC would be.

The DC's were Todd Grantham and Mel Tucker while he was here. They both ran 3-4's under RAC.

I don't mind the Chud/Norv combo, but it just feels like it's a settle for the 7th guy thing. And I have zero desire to blow up the only good part of the team by going back to the 3-4.

Norv does have a connection w/ Lombardi from Raider days, that scares me a lot.

::Addition::

I have said all along that, given some time, I could talk myself into pretty much any coach/philosophy with one very large caveat: Mike Lombardi is banned from the city limits. Hiring him undoes any good feelings I have from the sale and new coaching staff.
Posted By: madcap Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:39 AM
I'm feeling a little underwhelmed about this hire. 2007 was a great year though, and I hope we can see more of that. I'm just looking forward to getting a coaching staff and GM in place and seeing how we do in 2013.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:48 AM
Quote:

That's not true at all.

Our defensive line gets a ton better, our secondary remains the same. JMJ played MLB in a 3-4 in college, DQ has played at MLB in a 3-4, Sheard has been a pass rusher standing up this year even. They would need a lot more depth and a starting OLB, but not 2-3 years backwards bad.

I agree. It will definitely change up our LBs, but Cogong, Jackson both played decent ILB in our 3-4 with Rob Ryan. I think JMJ fits that ILB position. Sheard will have to transition to OLB and we'll have to find another starting one via draft or FA. Hopefully that Damontre Moore or whatever will be there and we can draft him (or even better Jarvis Jones). We had to upgrade DE anyway......

I really don't think it'll be that bad on our D-Line. I don't see why Phil Taylor can't play it, and Rubin is experienced in it. Hughes and Wynn, we'll have to see what they can do.

But yeah, OLB will have to be upgraded, see ya Frostee. I dunno if that guy Parker can play it, but he's pretty old as it is. So, 3-4 OLB has to be upgraded and guys like LJ Fort and Craig Robertson will have to try and figure out 3-4 ILB. But it's not the end of the world or anything.

Obviously, I'd prefer keeping Jauron and the defense in-tact. Some sort of continuity with a coaching change is a good thing IMO. So I'd like to keep Jauron. Plus I prefer the 4-3. But 3-4 doesn't have to be that big of a set back. Especially if it's implemented in a smart way. (Or if the guy running it is Big Romeo Crennel, whom I would love to bring back. His record as a DC is as good as anyone's. I loved watching him speed waddle onto the field to throw that challenge flag, and I loved his smile. I hated his time management and actual challenges, but that's over for him. I'd love a RAC Attack 3-4 Defense, lol. Loved Romeo the guy and Loved Rob Ryan the guy (definitely my favorite in replays of any coach, lol))
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:52 AM
I dont like the 3-4 at all and think it is stupid to go back to the 3-4 when this D is so close to being a superbowl caliber defense.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:52 AM
I don't think we are far off either way.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:53 AM
Quote:

I dont like the 3-4 at all and think it is stupid to go back to the 3-4 when this D is so close to being a superbowl caliber defense.

Are you kidding? Superbowl Caliber?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:55 AM
3-4 defense

RDE - Rucker
NT - Rubin/Taylor
LDE - Winn
ROLB - ???
ILB - Jackson
ILB - ???
LOLB - Sheard

Secondary the same.

The best situation would be that the Cardinals hire someone who doesn't want to keep Ray Horton and we somehow get him. Someone mentioned Rob Ryan, I would hate that. He is all talk, no results. John Pagano, Chuck's brother, was Norv's defensive coordinator in San Diego.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:56 AM
Quote:

3-4 defense

RDE - Rucker
NT - Rubin/Taylor
LDE - Winn
ROLB - ???
ILB - Jackson
ILB - ???
LOLB - Sheard

Secondary the same.

The best situation would be that the Cardinals hire someone who doesn't want to keep Ray Horton and we somehow get him. Someone mentioned Rob Ryan, I would hate that. He is all talk, no results. John Pagano, Chuck's brother, was Norv's defensive coordinator in San Diego.

You also forgot Billy Winn and John Hughes.

Our defensive line actually is made for the 3-4 pretty damn well.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:58 AM
Welcome back to Cleveland Chudzinski! I'm happy.

I didn't want Chip Kelly. Saban intrigued me but he wasn't leaving Bama (I wouldn't either). Zimmer is defensive, so that seemed like a wrong path...we need to be better on offense first and foremost.

And wow, Norv as OC. Interesting to find out who will call the plays.

Yes, keep Jauron.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:59 AM
It's like he never left....at least according to the payroll. His extension that he signed paid him up until 2011 so he was only unpaid by us for one season before coming back.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:03 AM
Quote:

I mentioned Rob Ryan, but mostly just saying I liked watching him on the sideline.

I agree, Rex's defenses have always been better than Rob Ryan's. The Jet's defense before this year was always great to watch. I like watching Rob Ryan, and he makes the game exciting, but that's not always a good thing when the secondary is getting torched (and thus it's exciting for the other team)
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:03 AM
Great Hire for the Browns!

Chud is a good coach, and a good offensive mind. I think we got ourselves a real winner with this guy. I was happy when Chud was here in 2007, I love is aggressive style as a playcaller..I think he will make a great Head Coach for us, and he is only 44 he could be here awhile!

Welcome back home to cleveland Chud!
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:09 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding? Superbowl Caliber?

I am not joking in the least. We are missing a key component in the blind side pass rusher and we are still playing some pretty good football. I think it is very close. Hey people thought I was kidding when I said we would have a top 5 OL this year too :P
Posted By: Kendall Storm Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:12 AM
Interesting hire.
For Mangini to replace him with Brian Daboll just shows you how much of a idiot Mangini was.
one thing about Chudzinski,he will attack vertically. None of this 3 and 5 yard crossing routes on 3rd and 9.
His 2 years as the Panthers OC they finished 5th and 18th in scoring.
I would not be a bit surprised if DeAngelo Williams was a Brown in 2013.
He's young and will offer some fresh ideas.
I expect him to bring in a veteran QB in to compete with Weeden, who shouldn't be handed the starting QB job like he was in 2012.
Posted By: Kendall Storm Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:13 AM
oh boy its Son of Eotab.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:14 AM
Quote:

I am not joking in the least. We are missing a key component in the blind side pass rusher and we are still playing some pretty good football. I think it is very close. Hey people thought I was kidding when I said we would have a top 5 OL this year too :P

I guess it all depends on what you call superbowl caliber. I mean, Packers of two years ago or Giants of last year?

I do agree we need another rusher (may be even two, Parker is getting old....), but I also think we needed a better corner and we obviously need a FS to replace Usama Young.

If we wanted a defense that was capable of being the backbone of a superbowl team though, I think we had a bit of a way to go for sure. Our defense was nowhere near 49er quality or Giant's quality of last year IMO. Or as good as those Jet defenses when they were in the AFC Championships 2 and 3 years ago
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:15 AM
I think Rob is a very good coach but he has never had the elite type talent to work with that Rex had in Baltimore. I think Rob did his best job of coaching this year. Hell the Cowboys lost 5 or 6 starters on D and that D played hard.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:16 AM
Quote:

Rob Chudzinski calls a better game than he talks.

The Carolina Panthers’ offensive coordinator – a sought-after head-coaching candidate this past offseason after directing Carolina’s offensive resurgence – speaks in generalities when discussing what his innovative scheme might look like in year two with Cam Newton at the controls.

The man known in NFL circles as “Chud” talks about improving techniques and fundamentals, finding complements to packages that were successful last year and staying ahead of defensive coordinators who have had an offseason to study Newton and Chudzinski’s multi-layered attack.

“That’s one of the things we’ve stressed with our guys. Every year’s a new season and you have to start from scratch,” Chudzinski said during a recent interview. “You start at the bottom and you have to climb the mountain to get to where you want to be.”

Chudzinski wants to be where just about every assistant coach at any level wants to be – in the office with the nice view, plush carpet and HEAD COACH nameplate on the door.

Chudzinski nearly got there last winter, when he interviewed with Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and St. Louis after the Panthers jumped from last in the league in offense to seventh in his first season. Ultimately, Chudzinski lost out to Mike Mularkey, Greg Schiano and Jeff Fisher, respectively.

They were Chudzinski’s first interviews for a head-coaching position; Panthers coach Ron Rivera said they won’t be his last.

In the meantime, Chudzinski – referred to as a “genius” by one of his Panthers players and a “grinder” by another – has work to do on this August afternoon. Glancing at his watch less than 10 minutes into a scheduled interview, Chudzinski tells a reporter he has to get going.

The Panthers are more than two weeks away from their first regular-season game. But Chudzinski has practice tape to watch, opponents to study and a playbook to cram more plays into.

Effort and intelligence

Panthers tight end Greg Olsen breaks coaches into two categories: those who outwork their opponents and those who outthink them. Then there’s Chudzinski.

“There’s usually two kinds of guys. The grinder, who guts his way through because he just outworks everyone. And then there’s just the smart guy, who just naturally has a mind for putting things together and anticipating defenses and tendencies,” Olsen said. “Chud is the combination of both.”

Olsen, who, like Chudzinski, is a former University of Miami tight end, said Chudzinski sees things during games and has a knack for calling the right play against different defensive alignments. But it’s more than having a high football IQ.

“He has the mind to call and anticipate what a coverage is going to be. And we happen to get the perfect call,” Olsen said. “Well, it’s not by accident. It’s because he studies and puts the time in to get all his studies and reports on his piece of paper for gameday because of the hours he puts in.

“It’s rare you find a guy that has both of those qualities.”

Chudzinski worked his way up the coaching ladder rung by rung. He advanced from graduate assistant to tight ends coach to offensive coordinator during 10 years at his alma mater.

He was Miami’s coordinator under in 2001 when the Hurricanes won the national championship. The next season Miami set school records for points, total yards and rushing touchdowns.

Chudzinski followed Butch Davis to Cleveland in 2004, and went to San Diego the following season after the Browns fired Davis. When Chudzinski returned as the Browns’ coordinator under Romeo Crennel in 2007, he looked to be on the fast track to a head-coaching job.

With quarterback Derek Anderson, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and two other offensive players earning Pro Bowl berths, the Browns went 10-6 and finished eighth in total offense and scoring.

But Cleveland bottomed out the next year amid injuries to several key players, including Anderson, who is Newton’s backup with the Panthers. Crennel was fired and Chudzinski accepted the tight ends position in San Diego, reuniting with Norv Turner and Rivera, the Chargers’ defensive coordinator.

When the Panthers hired Rivera in 2011, his first choice to run the offense was Chudzinski.

‘Sky is the limit’

With Rivera’s background as a defensive coach, he wanted someone who could oversee the offense while Rivera was on the defensive field. Rivera has given Chudzinski nearly full autonomy.

During the season, the two meet early in the week to go over the offensive game plan. If Chudzinski has a couple of new or trick plays he’s considering using, he has Rivera look at them during walkthroughs before practice.

Rivera said he has yet to veto a Chudzinski call.

“With Chud, there are no lines. It’s just go out and do it, which I think is great,” Rivera said. “He has a progression of learning and the way he teaches things. He starts with simple, basic things and from there the sky is the limit.”

After struggling with accuracy during the preseason, Newton flourished in Chudzinski’s system, a mix of the zone-read package similar to what Newton ran at Auburn and a vertical stretch passing attack that Chudzinski developed in Cleveland and San Diego.

The scheme played to Newton’s strengths as a runner and passer. He broke Peyton Manning’s rookie passing record, scored more rushing touchdowns in a single season than êny quarterback in history and became the first player to throw for 4,000 yards and run for 500 in a season.

But it wasn’t just Newton.

Steve Smith produced his first 1,000-yard receiving season since 2008, and DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart teamed with Newton to become the first trio in league history to rush for 700 yards each.

As a team, the Panthers led the league in plays of 20 yards or more (90), and scored 48 touchdowns a year after finishing with a franchise low of 17 in John Fox’s final season. The Panthers’ leap from 32nd to seventh in total offense was the biggest one-year improvement since St. Louis improved 26 spots in 1999.

“He’s really just a genius,” Stewart said of Chudzinski. “He spends a lot of time with the offense trying to create ways for players to be successful. That’s what a good offensive coordinator and coach is all about. He does a good job of explaining what he wants, and what he expects out of us individually and collectively.”

Stewart believes the Panthers only scratched the surface last season of what they can do offensively. Without OTAs and minicamp, the Panthers arrived in Spartanburg following the lockout with three weeks to install a new offense.

The learning curve was steep.

“To be honest, it took probably until Week 8 or Week 9 to really grasp the whole offense,” wide receiver Brandon LaFell said. “Going out there and being comfortable, knowing where to line up and not thinking about what I’ve got to do at the line of scrimmage, but knowing exactly what I need to do in the huddle.”

Chudzinski said the Panthers should benefit from having a true offseason “to go back to the basics, re-install things and get better at the core of what we’re doing.”

The Panthers will add to what they’re doing, as well. Asked at training camp if the playbook was thicker this year, Stewart smiled and nodded.

Time will come

Chudzinski only needs to walk down the hall in the coaches offices at Bank of America Stadium to find a great resource on the process of becoming a head coach. Rivera interviewed for nine NFL head coaching positions before the Panthers hired him.

Before his first interview last winter, Chudzinski talked to Rivera about what to expect.

“We talked about the things he needed to be prepared for, the questions he’ll get, all those kinds of things,” Rivera said. “Believe me, I was very happy that he got the opportunity. I was torn that he got the opportunity. And I know he’s going to get that opportunity again. He’s a dynamic person.”

The knock on some coordinators is that they’re Xs-and-Os guys who lack the attributes needed to be a successful head coach, namely leadership ability and communication and organizational skills.

Rivera said that’s not the case with Chudzinski.

“He’s dynamic, a sharp guy. He thinks outside the box. And I know his time’s coming,” Rivera said. “The big key is it’s got to be the right situation, the right fit. You don’t take jobs to take jobs. I’ve learned that over the last few years.”

Panthers offensive quality control Scott Turner spends as much time with Chudzinski as anyone on the staff, and sits next to him in the press box when Chudzinski is calling plays. Turner, son of Chargers coach Norv Turner, said Chudzinski has the makeup to be a head coach.

“Chud’s got the ability to do whatever he wants in this profession,” Turner said. “I’ve been very impressed working for him and seeing what he does. I don’t think there’s any limitations on his coaching career.”

But on this muggy August day, as players file past him on their way to the stadium after practice, Chudzinski has other things on his mind.

“It was a great experience. I was very flattered to have the opportunity to do that and be able to talk and meet a number of people at those organizations that I talked with,” he said. “Obviously, if the opportunity ever comes, great. But I’m enjoying every minute of this and being with this group of guys and coming to work every day.”

And with that, Chudzinski goes back to work, ducking into a stadium door and heading upstairs to his office. There is tape to watch, plays to draw and defensive coordinators around the league trying to stop him.

Charlotte Observer
Posted By: KingSteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:20 AM
Color me skeptical!

I dont know if I have a strong opinion either way on Chud...I think he'll do a good job as he is often prepared...

but my knocks are these:
1. Misuse of DeAngelo Williams, Jonathon Stewart, and Mike Tolbert/Mike Goodson
2. Cam taking a step back (Could be sophomore slump)
3. Norv? Ugh...he was not good at using LT, or Ryan Mathews...though he was okay with Tolbert...he didnt use him well as a runner...
4. Two offensive guys that arent great with RBs and we have Trent? Use him like AP!
5. Romeo Crennell maybe as DC? Or Mel Tucker? why?...did Todd Grantham turn it down? Is Foge Fazio too busy? Who else do we wanna bring back...Mo Carthon? Terry Robiskie? Was Chris Palmer busy? Think Rip Scherer is free? Why do we want to bring around these guys that have been busts! I dont trust Norv and I already dont care for the DC names being bandied about...
6. Is Chud ready? People in Carolina werent happy with him as OC (sounds like Shurmur did)
7. The guy is okay...but he hasnt exactly been winning in the NFL yet. Carolina stunk in his 2 years there...SD was eh when he was there...we didnt make the playoffs and was OC in the disaster that was 08...idk.

Im skeptical for those reasons...

as for the 3-4? Thats fine.
DL, Phil, Rubin, Winn...Hughes rotates in at DT, Phil goes inside on passing downs...Rucker is 270 so he can weight up a little and be a DE...
OLBs...Sheard, Robertson, and we gotta find a couple in FA...Gocong can play outside...DRAFT one first round...Werner, Damontre, Sam Montgomery
ILBs...DQ, JMJ, Fort, and Robertson?

Were fine if we go 3-4.

Offense could be dangerous...but ive always loved the idea of run run run...short pass, draw in the D...then use Benji and Gordon to pull the top off deep...and Cameron in the seam.

I see positives...Watson can come back and Cameron will get use...Our WRs will work.

but I worry that the Chud/Norv style of offense doesnt use many routes and certainly arent complex...and i dont wanna see TRich used like ANY SD RBs and I dont wanna see him used like Ray Rice either (Cameron). I dont think I like it...and if Norv comes...will Cameron come and be QB coach? I dont want that either...

Im worried for our coordinators
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:21 AM
Quote:

I would be. Why would we bring in a RB to compete with Trent Richardson?

Trent can do it all and he's young. Unless Williams is brought in as a true number two, I really don't see the point..... And I don't think Williams wants to come to the Browns and get like 80 carries in a season or less

I wouldn't be surprised about the QB thing, but DeAngelo Williams, I just don't see it
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:25 AM
Quote:

There is no point in paying two running backs big money. I believe the Panthers would take a huge cap hit if they cut or traded Williams as well. Richardson is a perfect fit for Chudzinski.

Quote:

I expect him to bring in a veteran QB in to compete with Weeden, who shouldn't be handed the starting QB job like he was in 2012.

I hear Derek Anderson is available.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:25 AM
Quote:

5. Romeo Crennell maybe as DC? Or Mel Tucker? why?...did Todd Grantham turn it down? Is Foge Fazio too busy? Who else do we wanna bring back...Mo Carthon? Terry Robiskie? Was Chris Palmer busy? Think Rip Scherer is free? Why do we want to bring around these guys that have been busts! I dont trust Norv and I already dont care for the DC names being bandied about...

How the Heck do you put Mel Tucker, Todd Grantham, and these other cats in with Romeo?

Sure, same team. But definitely not same coordinator

Romeo was great with the Pats. He was very good when he was DC here. He was very good on the Chiefs. Don't start bringing up the other guys and put them in the same category as Romeo.........
Posted By: KingSteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:28 AM
I just dont want guys who flamed out here coming back...He has been a good DC, i just want nothing to do with him
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:36 AM
Quote:

I just dont want guys who flamed out here coming back...He has been a good DC, i just want nothing to do with him

Give me Romeo and I'll be very happy. If we're switching to a 3-4 Defense, Romeo sounds good to me.

Do you have any better ideas for who should run our 3-4? The guy failed as a HC, but it doesn't mean he can't be our defensive coordinator.

Who would you rather have run a 3-4 then Romeo? Guy's done a great job wherever he's gone as a defensive coordinator.

Don't really understand your logic. I mean, it would be like if the Chargers could have Drew Brees back but they said, "Eh, he flamed out here, forget about him." Like having an opportunity to grab an Eight in Crazy Eights but you put it back because you already used one in the game.......
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:38 AM
oo its the comic relief. I mean whenever you talk football you come off as a freaking joke.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:42 AM
You know, some guys just aren't great coaches. Norv for example is an offensive genius. And he's magnificent when his job is just calling plays. You put him in a head coach position and the team follows the demeanor of the coach. His teams never seemed motivated until it was put up or shut up later on in the season. Right when they realize that they could back their way into winning their division.

Personally, I like Norv as OC, I think with Chud's ingenuity and Norv's playcalling that the offense could be something more than offensive.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski *DELETED* - 01/11/13 05:45 AM
Post deleted by Referee2
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:52 AM
I liked Chud before. I didn't like Romeo. We'll see how he pans out, but we could have done worse... At least I know who he is this time.

Good luck Chud!
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:54 AM
Quote:

You see on Madden DeAngelo is really good so of course Kendall wants to add him. Now in the real world it wont happen but why let actual football get in the way of a fantasty thought process

lol, watch it happen amigo. Then you'll be pretty embarrassed, as "The Storm" comes upon you and rubs it in your face non-stop.

Then you go off the deep end like Eotab with Deepthreat, and you'll live up to what he called you, "The Son of Eotab". lol
Posted By: Loki Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:07 AM
My thoughts:

I liked Chud when he was OC here and that 2007 year was the most exciting offense I have ever seen since I've been a fan. He is young, was a browns fan growing up, and from articles seems to have an innovative mind. You can cell them fluff pieces, which they maybe, but I don't remember any articles talking about Pat Shurmur as an innovative mind.

Hack like you, I remember at the end people were on Chud's case pretty bad but if I recall Ken Dorsey had to start some games and it was probably a case of disappointed expectations and injuries that left people sour on him. Either way he completely changed his offense style to accent the strengths of Cam Newton. Now it is true that Cam had a sophomore slump but we truly cannot know how much that was because of defensive or Mopey Cam

With that said he is the new Cleveland Browns coach and I will support him just as much as I have supported all the rest.

OC:
IF Chud can bring Norv Turner that would be an amazing hire. Say what you want to about Norv the head coach, Norv the coordinator has always been good. .

DC:
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a report about an attacking style defense. While it is true that Crennel and Chud are probably on good terms I would never describe Crennel's defense as an attacking style defense.

For me an attacking style defense is in the style of Rex & Rob Ryan, Ray Horton, or Wade Phillips. Rob is available and has worked here before so he is a possibility. Also I believe most assistant coaches have a clause in their contract that if the head coach is fired they are allowed to accept lateral hries from another team so Horton maybe available. If Chud really does want an attacking style defense it seems Rob Ryan would be the guy and his defense it wasn't the defense who throw a bone headed interception to kill them in the Redskins game.
Posted By: Austrodawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:12 AM
j/c

After all these years when it seems that the fan base helped running out of town their losing HCs, there is a new owner doing it the opposite way in bringing in a Browns fan as HC. Rookie owner but a smart businessman decision
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:13 AM
Quote:

1. Misuse of DeAngelo Williams, Jonathon Stewart, and Mike Tolbert/Mike Goodson

In 2011 Williams and Stewart combined for 1,597 rushing yards and 11 TDs at 5.4 yards per carry. They combined for 548 receiving yards. Goodson didn't have one carry in 2011.

In 2012 Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert combined for 1,256 rushing yards and 13 TDs at 3.76 yards per carry. They combined for 612 yards receiving. (Stewart missed 7 games due to injury).

Quote:

2. Cam taking a step back (Could be sophomore slump)

Cam Newton 2011 - 4,051 passing yards, 21 TDs, 17 INTs, 84.5 QB rating. 706 yards rushings, 14 TDs. 6 - 10 record.

Cam Newton 2012 - 3,869 passing yards, 19 TDS, 12 INTs, 86.2 QB rating. 741 yards rushing, 8 TDs. 7 - 9 record. (Multiple weird press conference appearances).

Quote:

3. Norv? Ugh...he was not good at using LT, or Ryan Mathews...though he was okay with Tolbert...he didnt use him well as a runner...

Turner's first year in San Diego was 2007.

LaDainian Tomlinson 2007 (age 28) - 1,474 rushing yards, 15 TDs at 4.7 yards per carry. 475 receiving yards.
LaDainian Tomlinson 2008 (age 29) - 1,110 rushing yards, 11 TDs at 3.8 yards per carry. 426 receiving yards. (Darren Sproles was very good for the Chargers this yßar).
LaDainian Tomlinson 2009 (age 30) - 730 rushing yards, 12 TDs at 3.3 yards per carry. 154 receiving yards. (Tomlinson missed 2 games due to injury and Darren Sproles was very good for the Chargers this year).
Ryan Mathews 2010 (rookie season) - 678 rushing yards, 7 TDs at 4.3 yards per carry. 145 receiving yards. (Mathews missed 4 games due to injury. Mike Tolbert ran for 735 yards and 11 TDs at 4.0 yards per carry).
Ryan Mathews 2011 - 1,091 rushing yards, 6 TDs at 4.9 yards per carry. 455 receiving yards. *PRO BOWL* (Mathews missed 2 games due to injury. Mike Tolbert ran for 490 yards and 8 TDs at 4.0 yards per carry).

Quote:

4. Two offensive guys that arent great with RBs and we have Trent?

Wrong.

*Side note*

Jamal Lewis 2007 - 1,304 rushing yards, 9 TDs at 4.4 yards per carry. 248 receiving yards (also hands of stone).

Quote:

Romeo Crennell maybe as DC? Or Mel Tucker? why?...did Todd Grantham turn it down? Is Foge Fazio too busy? Who else do we wanna bring back...Mo Carthon? Terry Robiskie? Was Chris Palmer busy? Think Rip Scherer is free? Why do we want to bring around these guys that have been busts! I dont trust Norv and I already dont care for the DC names being bandied about...

There has been no official word of any defensive coordinators linked to us at the moment.

Foge Fazio is dead.

Quote:

6. Is Chud ready? People in Carolina werent happy with him as OC (sounds like Shurmur did)

We will find out. Link? Shurmur was unimaginative and ran an archaic offense that he ran poorly. Chudzinski mixed his vertical passing offense with things Cam Newton did well at Auburn.

Quote:

7. The guy is okay...but he hasnt exactly been winning in the NFL yet. Carolina stunk in his 2 years there...SD was eh when he was there...we didnt make the playoffs and was OC in the disaster that was 08...idk.

Carolina went from 2 wins in 2010 without Chudzinski (and Newton) to 6 wins in 2011 and then 7 wins in 2012. That is progress. Chudzinski was in San Diego in 2005 and 2006 then again in 2009 and 2010. In 2005 San Diego was 9 - 7. 2006 14 - 2. 2009 13 - 3. 2010 9 - 7. Eh.

We didn't make the playoffs because the Colts rested their starters. 08 was a disaster.

Quote:

Im skeptical for those reasons...

Now that you know none of your reasons are valid, you don't have to be skeptical anymore.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:22 AM
Quote:

Foge Fazio is dead.

Well cross him OFF then!

Sorry had to inject some Rachel Phelps with that comment lol.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:25 AM
Let's see .... how do I feel about this hire ....?

YES! Excellent!

OK, let me be perfectly honest here ..... Bruce Arians was my first choice, but Chud was "1b". Chud is definitely younger, and can conceivably coach here for a long time to come.

I am glad that he is bringing in an offensive coordinator with him. I am also perfectly fine with Norv Turner as OC. I think that Turner has been a quality OC ..... but has sucked as a head coach. I think that they will work well with the offensive talent the Browns have.

I will not be happy if we switch back to the 3-4. (which is weird, because I have always preferred the 3-4) I do feel that this team has significant talent on the DL right now, which is the cornerstone of the 4-3. If we switch back to the 3-4, then we have to hope that Sheard can handle OLB ...... put some weight on Robertson and JMJ, and hope that everyone can learn a new defense quickly. The 3-4 is generally more complicated that the 4-3 as far as players learning it. Plus, I feel like we are taking away from the strength of our defense. LB immediately goes to the top of our draft board, specifically OLB, if we do make that change.

Overall though, I am very happy. My first choice was Arians, but Chud became my 1b when it was announced that he was interviewed .. so I am happy.

Now we just have to stay committed to him, and let him grow into the role of head coach, like Banner and Haslam said they would.
Posted By: The Mammal Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:37 AM
Well , in my honest opinion our new ownership over valued the Prestige of the Browns job and who would want to coach here....That combined with the Kelly & O'Brien show wasting the NFL's time once again , left us behind the 8 Ball....** I wish Chudzinski much success here in Cleveland....I just would of preferred that a Quality Veteran Coach been hired , IF that is they could of signed one , which it appears they could not = SMH ....Obviously , I would like to see Jauron stay & the Defense intact as well.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:55 AM
Chudzinski's hiring makes sense - Marla - Ohio
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/marla/marla-ri...-sense-1.364177

At first glance, the Browns hiring of Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as coach Thursday night seemed surprising, especially when their two-week search included much bigger names.

But in many ways it makes perfect sense.

At 44, he’s relatively young.

He’s intelligent (earning an MBA from the University of Miami), a tireless worker and an innovative offensive mind.

He grew up in Toledo rooting for the Kardiac Kids. His family came to the games in his two previous stints with the Browns..

He’s experienced the Browns’ struggles firsthand after serving as offensive coordinator in 2007-08 under coach Romeo Crennel and tight ends coach in 2004 under Butch Davis.

He had a huge hand in one of the best Browns offensive seasons in team history. In 2007, the Browns scored 402 points, their third-best all-time. Receiver Braylon Edwards broke Gary Collins’ record for receiving touchdowns that had stood for 44 years and quarterback Derek Anderson tossed 29 TD passes and went to the Pro Bowl. A 10-6 season led to contract extensions for Crennel, Anderson and general manager Phil Savage.

Chudzinski played tight end at the University of Miami and won two national championships, so he knows the chemistry needed to make a team a winner. He also coached 10 years there

Before owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner became infatuated with Oregon’s Chip Kelly, it seemed as if they were searching for the next Mike Tomlin. The perception was they would end up with an unknown assistant with no previous head coaching experience but possessing the leadership and charisma to inspire NFL players. Chudzinski isn’t unknown here, but he fits that profile. Under him, Anderson, Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow had their most productive NFL seasons. He seems ready for his big break.

After Davis resigned with five games remaining in 2004, interim coach Terry Robiskie tabbed Chudzinski to call the plays, unusual since Chudzinski was so close to Davis. Browns tight ends considered that a sign of respect from Robiskie.

"As a kid I wanted to grow up and play here; this I guess is the next best thing,” Chudzinski said then.

In fact, on the day Davis’ departure was announced, owner Randy Lerner was asked if he would recommend any of the current assistants to be retained by the next regime.

"I'm not into meddling and I don't even want to do things that are that close," Lerner said that day. "I do think there are talented guys and Chudzinski is great."

Evidently Haslam and Banner saw the same thing in Chudzinski. To some, that may seem frightening, especially considering Lerner's track record in hiring. At the moment, I’m not among them. Something about Chudzinski's hiring seems right.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:55 AM
Quote:

CHUD!!!
ChUD!!!
CHUD!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first head coach we have had since Marty that I really wanted to see be the Browns HC. I thought he was an absolute genius at creating mismatches and getting people wide open. Honestly, this is the best thing that could have happened to Weeden, Gordon and Little.

Hey Banner and Haslam showed me they arent as dumb as most in the media were making them out to be with the McDaniels/Lombardi stuff. This is a big time win for the Browns. I am elated with this decision. Cant wait to hear what the guy has to say.

Pretty much this ^^^

Still have mixed feelings on J&J since they went so hard after Chip and Chud seemed to be their xth "choice" if he even was on the radar at the beginning, but Chud fits what both men probably wanted: Haslam a good PR with a young up and coming HC to keep long term and Banner with a "I was the only one who interviewd Reid"-ego hire. So, at least they had a good plan E,F, G or whatever Chud represented

I'm just happy we hired a HC that fits what we already have on Offense, even though it means learning a new terminology....pretty much ALL of Weeden, TRich, Gordon, Little and even Cameron fit this style the most, so if they don't succeed in that, they're probably toast or have already reached their NFL "ceiling"

On one hand, J&J managed to not hit one of my "runaway checkdown" predictions, as I thought they were going after a "name" HC to give a lot of power to (although they were reportedly in on some of those). Otoh, the Heckert firing seems even worse now, since Chud hardly is the "experienced", personnel HC to give so much say, so it still looks like Banner wanted to be the "real" GM no matter what and they straight up lied us in our faces why Heckert had to leave...it was 100% personal BS, that should be clear by now, as it will be hard to find a GM as competent as Heckert on the open market. Upgrading on Shurmur was an easy thing to do, but Heckert not so much, so the "we'll evaluate everyone" was pure PR BS and they were going tablua rasa anyway.

However, this hiring, no matter how it came to it, has this dawg's curiosity again, so if not for a horrible GM hiring and an epic fail offseason it probably will keep me watching 2013 to see what Chud can do with this young Offense. Very excited for the vertical Offense

Here's hope that we keep the D scheme the same for some continuity and retain Jauron, who seems to be a good egg.
Posted By: The Mammal Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:52 AM
So Very True.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 09:46 AM
NFL Network said that the introductory presser will be at 11am.
Posted By: kwhip Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 10:04 AM
Quote:

NFL Network said that the introductory presser will be at 11am.

Interesting hire. I'm down with Turner at OC.

Rumored 3-4 switch?

Can Sheard drop in coverage at OLB?

Because OLB would then be our most dire draft need. And there's several who could be studs.

Jones
Moore
Werner
Jordan

We've got 1 of the 2 hardest 3-4 spots filled at NT. Need the OLB pass push.
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 10:18 AM
Even though they whiffed on Kelly, I take heart in the fact that they did some due diligence in interviewing several candidates before settling in with Chud. I even like the though of Turner as OC as I thought he would be great here--I posted as much in one of the other threads . . .

The GM spot will be intriguing, I am thinking that, on the surface Django is right. Not sure who they would hire now for that spot.
Posted By: Arps Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 11:27 AM
J/C

Im not sure how I feel on this hire yet. I know a lot of folks were down on him when he was our OC, but I dont remember much about him one way or the other. I guess time will tell.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 11:35 AM
Quote:

Shurmur was unimaginative and ran an archaic offense that he ran poorly

Once again, you can't fault the HC for his QB being unable to make the timely throws and quick decisions that the offense requires of him.
Posted By: Dean Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 11:39 AM
Dayum. I was hoping Chris Palmer was available. Retread? 'ehhh....
Posted By: Chinchilla7222 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:09 PM
I'm not thrilled by this pick. I was hoping for Zimmer. Regardless, I am hoping this is our head coach for at least the next 5 years. I don't want the fans or media to run him out of town. Give this guy a fair chance.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:27 PM
Quote:

Quote:

That's not true at all.

I agree. It will definitely change up our LBs, but Cogong, Jackson both played decent ILB in our 3-4 with Rob Ryan. I think JMJ fits that ILB position. Sheard will have to transition to OLB and we'll have to find another starting one via draft or FA. Hopefully that Damontre Moore or whatever will be there and we can draft him (or even better Jarvis Jones). We had to upgrade DE anyway......

I really don't think it'll be that bad on our D-Line. I don't see why Phil Taylor can't play it, and Rubin is experienced in it. Hughes and Wynn, we'll have to see what they can do.

But yeah, OLB will have to be upgraded, see ya Frostee. I dunno if that guy Parker can play it, but he's pretty old as it is. So, 3-4 OLB has to be upgraded and guys like LJ Fort and Craig Robertson will have to try and figure out 3-4 ILB. But it's not the end of the world or anything.

Obviously, I'd prefer keeping Jauron and the defense in-tact. Some sort of continuity with a coaching change is a good thing IMO. So I'd like to keep Jauron. Plus I prefer the 4-3. But 3-4 doesn't have to be that big of a set back. Especially if it's implemented in a smart way. (Or if the guy running it is Big Romeo Crennel, whom I would love to bring back. His record as a DC is as good as anyone's. I loved watching him speed waddle onto the field to throw that challenge flag, and I loved his smile. I hated his time management and actual challenges, but that's over for him. I'd love a RAC Attack 3-4 Defense, lol. Loved Romeo the guy and Loved Rob Ryan the guy (definitely my favorite in replays of any coach, lol))

Wow... I disagree completely. Our front seven is almost completely ill-suited for the 3-4. Rubin can play nose in that scheme. Taylor might be able to learn to play nose, but he's built to play 4-3 DT. We would need new DEs (Winn MIGHT be able to play here, but we'd still need to find 2-3 others). Our LBs would be a mess. DQ was decidedly average-to-bad as a 3-4 ILB. Gocong would be the only reliable guy back there and we would be back to needing, not one, but TWO OLB (the hardest position to find for a 3-4). We're talking an almost complete re-tool to be any good. 2-3 years.

C'mon Chud... be smart and stick with the 4-3. We're almost there right now.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:28 PM
Patting myself on the back,,,

About two days ago on one of the million head coach threads, I said they'd name someone by friday.. I was wrong, they did it by thursday.. LOL

In all seriousness, this is about as good a hire as there is out there.

I read on Cleveland.com or wkyc.com that he's bringing in Norv Turner as OC and Turners son to help out on O.

Almost sounds as if he's planning on keeping the D intact.

Heres one article:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/rob_chudzinski_cleveland_brown.html#incart_river

and on Norv Turner

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/norv_turner_may_return_to_fami.html#incart_river

At first blush, I'm pretty excited..
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:31 PM
If it happened on Thursday, then it was "by Friday." You were not wrong.
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:32 PM
Quote:

Almost sounds as if he's planning on keeping the D intact.

The only thing I see mentioned about the D in either article is suggesting that it's a likely move to a 3-4 and that Juraun (sp.) is likely gone.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:36 PM
That's what I saw too. Mary Kay is often wrong though. Let's hope this is one of those instances.
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:38 PM
Quote:

That's what I saw too. Mary Kay is often wrong though. Let's hope this is one of those instances.

I agree totally - on all both counts!

For me it's not even the DC so much (God, I hope it's not Rob Ryan) as keeping the 4/3. I just think it's a better defense and we obviously have the personnel to run it here. Adding a few pieces is much easier than redoing the whole thing.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:38 PM

Norv Turner to join Browns staff as offensive coordinator
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 11, 2013, 6:09 AM EST

After the Cleveland Browns named Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach Wednesday night, the Browns have already begun adding to their new coaching staff.

According to Peter Schrager of FOX Sports, the Browns are expected to hire former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner as their new offensive coordinator. The Chargers fired Turner on Dec. 31.

Chudzinski served as assistant head coach and tight ends coach for the Chargers under Turner from 2009-2010. It will be Turner’s fifth stop as an offensive coordinator. Turner was the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys from 1991-1993, the Chargers in 2001, the Miami Dolphins from 2002-2003 and the San Francisco 49ers in 2006.

web page
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:41 PM
I definitely like the Turner hire as OC.

I guess we'll get answers about the D and other things when Chud is officially announced at a press conference. I didn't read anything in any of the posts mentioning when that might be, but I could have missed it.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:46 PM
Somewhere I read 11:00 am today.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 12:58 PM
As a humorous aside... my kid writes a blog about Cleveland sports in general and offered the following gem:

"Tony Grossi is 'shocked' by the hire. So are his sources."
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 01:37 PM
Quote:

I've seen the same report from 3 different places and it's about right..11am presser..

don't know if they'll name Norv in that presser. don't know if they'll discuss D at all..

and I was wrong about the D.. I read that all wrong sorry about that.

we may end up with a 3-4 I really don't see a need to change..
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 01:43 PM
Quote:

As a humorous aside... my kid writes a blog about Cleveland sports in general and offered the following gem:

lifer...your son is pretty sharp...

I guess Grossi was not allowed in the room for this hire...

Chud...not a bad hire...we certainly "could do" worse...

Someone with some links to the area and the Browns...someone who dreamed of coaching the Browns and now has a chance to live out that dream.

Chud has my full support...also, I like the idea of pairing him up with Norv Turner, which might have been at Chud's request.

Now that Haslam and Banner have made the choice for head coach, the next move will be hiring a GM. Now Haslam and Banner need to find the best GM they can find...someone who has a record of being a good judge of talent...someone who can continue the rebuilding process and build on foundation that has been established.

The way I see it, this team should be two years away from challenging for a playoff birth...just once, the Browns need to finish what was started !
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 01:44 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I've seen the same report from 3 different places and it's about right..11am presser..

don't know if they'll name Norv in that presser. don't know if they'll discuss D at all..

and I was wrong about the D.. I read that all wrong sorry about that.

we may end up with a 3-4 I really don't see a need to change..

I just got a Facebook status update about the 11:00 presser, from the official source. I'm kind of excited about this for some odd reason. I sure hope he decides to stay the course with the defense.

The bonus is Grossi being "shocked" by the decision. That tells me his sources are full of crap, which is a good thing.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 01:45 PM
I'm happy with the Chud hire. Much more so than I would have been if we had gone Whisenhunt and after reading yesterday about a 2nd interview with him I was concerned. Thankfully that concern was misplaced.

Norv... in a position he's proven to be successful and think this is a good move and I'm glad it happened quickly.

Moving back to a 3-4...

I hope this report is wrong.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 01:57 PM
He wasn't my 1st choice,but big deal,what the hell do I know.
I have been very skeptical of the new regime,therefore every move,or reported move has been met with negativity from me.
But,I
can't
find
anything
negative
to say.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:02 PM
Welcome "home" to HC CHud! Win. A lot. NO WCO. I wish you the best.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

This makes me happy.

I think I'm more excited about Norv Turner being our OC than Chud being our HC.

I've always held Turner in very high esteem for his offensive mind. I've always been badly underwhelmed with him as a HC. He's seemed to me to be one of those guys...like Jauron or Dick Lebeau or Gunter Cunningham...who just didn't to have what it took to be the top coach, but was in the elite as a coordinator. There is no denying his pedigree nor his track record of success with his offenses. If the Browns keep Weeden, there wouldn't be a better guy to coach him up to see if he's a candidate or a dud.

As for Chud, I don't really have an opinion. I know he's been well thought of for a while, but I just don't know any more about him now than I did when he was here the last 18 times, hehe. He fits the mold I wanted of a young head coach who has coordinator experience but isn't a retread (like Whisenhunt). The Cleveland ties are a good sub-plot, but not critical to anything.

Yup, I'm more excited about Turner than I am Chud, but only because I know what Turner is capable of. It can be argued that his credentials as an OC in the NFL are unrivaled.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:23 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. There is definitely a lot to be optimistic about, but we ARE talking about the Browns.

Unfortunately I can't feel too good til the GM situation is settled.

And the thought of a switch to 3-4 D makes me nervous.
Posted By: Merth Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:33 PM
J/C

I was surprised to hear the announcement. I too think I am more excited about Norv Turner as OC than I am about Chud as HC. I am unenthusiastic about a defensive scheme switch. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:40 PM
Quote:

Our front seven is almost completely ill-suited for the 3-4. Rubin can play nose in that scheme. Taylor might be able to learn to play nose, but he's built to play 4-3 DT. We would need new DEs (Winn MIGHT be able to play here, but we'd still need to find 2-3 others). Our LBs would be a mess. DQ was decidedly average-to-bad as a 3-4 ILB. Gocong would be the only reliable guy back there and we would be back to needing, not one, but TWO OLB (the hardest position to find for a 3-4). We're talking an almost complete re-tool to be any good. 2-3 years.

C'mon Chud... be smart and stick with the 4-3. We're almost there right now.

Yeah, this is the big negative for me, if true. I hope MKC was just going for "firsties" and guessing what might happen (SD ran a 3-4)

But I agree that this would require a personnell overhaul.

Players whose abilities decrease in a 3-4:
Jabaal Sheard
Billy Winn (he's shaped like a 3-4 end but that's not his game at all)
Phil Taylor
DQ
Craig Robertson
Frostee Rucker

We would be stacked at NT as both Hughes and Kitchen would be solid backups to Rubin... but then what of Phil Taylor?

I really hope MKC is just blowing smoke. I'm hoping Chud, being a Browns fan, sees what we have and lets the 4-3 stay.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:44 PM
It appears that the Chargers ran the 3-4 and Carolina runs a 4-3 so it may not be a lock that we are going to switch.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:48 PM
jc

just a thought, but maybe this 3-4 talk is all on Haslam? He was a Steeler not long ago, and since he's a fan-owner maybe he wants the same kind of D no matter what we have here?

A switch to the 3-4 pretty much would destroy MOST of what Heckert did good here. Only his 1st draft (also still for the Mangini 3-4 back then) of Haden and Ward would be unaffacted.

Let's look at the rest:

Rubin: can start in both schemes as the NT, experience in both and equally good. Guy's a machine and the best Browns player the past years, it's not even close imho

Taylor: the ??s already start here. Would be a luxury to just rotate him with Rube. "Maybe" he can play DE, but even if he's equally as good it's already a value loss. I give hm a good 75% chance of converting to 3-4 DE

Hughes: backup NT only to spell Rube. He was a rotational player in the 4-3, so no change, but his rookie season basically was for naught.

Winn: on paper, a better 3-4 fit since he was always deemed a tweener, but I think he never was seen as a 3 down player in either scheme, that's why he fell in the draft and I have to admit that I like him better as a 4-3 rotational DT than 3 down 3-4 DE. Maybe in a rotation with Rucker and Taylor.

Rucker: He's a lot like Orpheus Roye, so forget about a conversion to the 3-4. Maybe as a rotational DE if he bulks up a bit but not for that money. He will be traded for a late rounder or get cut if we switch

Sheard: next big ?? Can he move to OLB? Sure, but he was a sure thing as a 4-3 DE, so we're back to "maybe-land and succesfully erase any development he has made the past 2 seasons. Rather stupid...

Stephens: Could be moved to OLB, longshot though and we will bring in other guys for depth. He's gone and was a nice no4 4-3 DE to have

Dqwell: I guess he was the one who "twittered" that about Banner. Obvious step back for him. He was above AVG to good in the 4-3. In the 3-4 he's back to AVG to below AVG. He's not made to shed blockers. Trade candidate or kept as stop gap solution. Expensive though

Gocong: Can and has played both. He was an AVG 4-3 OLB and I think he can both play ILB and SOLB in a 3-4 at a similar level

Robertson: biggest waste of talent along with Sheard and Taylor, but unlike the former 2 there's ZERO hope for him in this scheme. He's gone...if we get lucky we'll squeeze a late rounder out of him in a trade. If I was a 4-3 GM I would happily fork over a 5th or 6th to make sure to get him

Maiava: see Robertson, even though he started off in the 3-4 but was less effective there, but since he's a FA he's gone anyways. The switch would only seal the deal.

JMJ: this is the only guy that I see being a better fit in the 3-4. He's made to play SILB in this scheme imho. Not sure he qualifies as a "thumper" because of his size but he has some value and, as I said, probably more than in the 4-3. At least good depth inside. Same applies to Acho

Carder and Fort are gone. Carder was drafted in the 5th round by a 3-4 team and got cut immediately. He's strictly a 4-3 WLB

I hear some guys say the switch wouldn't set us back so much, but that's BS. We're losing good depth we built, add a couple of major needs and add even more "maybes" to the equation. To make things worse: the tough part of a 4-3 D is to find good DL, LBs in that scheme are dime a dozen...for the 3-4 it's the other way around and finding good 3-4 LBs is even tougher than finding good 4-3 DL. We had a good DL, with depth and an acceptable LB core, with depth. If we switch to the 3-4 we have NO sure thing at all 4 positions and not ONE above AVG starter as of now. It'd be a complete re-built and set us back another good 2-3 years AND waste the best part of the past 2-3 years. It'd be an incredibly stupid thing to do and with Banner being a lifelong 4-3 guy I just don't get it...that's why I'm looking Haslam's way for this totally unneccesary switch
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 02:58 PM
j/c

Chud grew up in OH as a Browns fan and has been on the Brown's staff twice (and they happened to have the 2 best years since '99). He is an offensive guy who will be looking to stretch the field and is rumored to be bringing along an experienced offensive coaching staff with him including Norv and Scott Turner.

He has alot of question marks too. How organized and detail-oriented will he be? How good will he be at gauging the locker room and doing what is needed there? How effective of a leader will he be at getting everyone on the same page and working hard to the goals he sets?

I want to see more (full coaching staff, etc.), but let's hope this one works.

Full disclosure: I prefer the 3-4. It's a better defense more easily adaptable to multiple situations and having the personnel on staff to run both the 3-4 and 4-3 when warranted.

However, switching the scheme is the last thing I wanted. There will be a transition period. Really want to see who he is getting on that side of the ball. He better have good veteran coaches (unlike when we went all veteran on defense and all inexperienced on offense under Shurmur). I hope that AZ does not hire Horton and noone hires Whisenhunt. I prefer Horton's style of attacking 3-4 to Romeo's more passive style though he would not be a bad hire as DC either. If AZ switches to a 4-3 defense, then we might have a good trade partner for some pieces too.

All that said, our DL remains intact (possibly shop Sheard or keep him to mix in some 4-3 schemes or see if he can be a 3-4 DE or OLB?). Our LBers suck anyway and this just forces us to go and shop for some guys (Alex Okafor bandwagon has some seats if you want a spot). DQ, Gocong, Robertson maybe, JMJ can be our ILB. We need OLBers now badly.

Of course, we still need a CB2 (especially if we get rid of Sheldon Brown, which seems likely under the regime change) and FS. That's 4 spots on defense that we need badly.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:01 PM
dumb

although i dont even care anymore it still pains me to see this organization make idiotic moves like this.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:11 PM
good breakdown of position-by-position. Mine's slightly different:

it'll be rocky. always is (even guys that can do it have responsibility changes). let's go position by position:

NT: Rubin, Kitchen Sink
DE: Taylor, Hughes, Winn, maybe Rucker?

DL gone: Parker(who cares), Sheard (doubt he's a 3-4 DE)

**I put Taylor and Hughes at DE though they could play NT if needed. I did so because I like Kitchen and he's a good complement to keep Rubin fresh and keep Taylor/Hughes/Winn on the field as rotating DE.

ILB: DQ, JMJ, Gocong? Robertson?

OLB: Sheard? Gocong?

LB gone: Maiava, Fort, Carder

**I'm not sure Sheard can handle being a 3-4 OLB. I think he's on the trade block w/ the transition. We all remember Maiava in the 3-4. Fort and Carder are also likely to struggle there. Robertson should struggle as well, but I don't want to give him up (dime LBer at least?).

CB: Haden, Brown?, Patterson?, Skrine, Wade?
S: Ward, Gipson, Young? Hagg?

**Also, don't forget what likely happens here with the regime change. Goodbye Usama Young. Likely Patterson as well and possibly Hagg. I think we keep Gipson based on what he showed. Sheldon Brown is a big one though. He actually played okay last year, but he's the type of veteran that is usually let go and allowed to follow the regime to KC or whereever Heckert winds up. We'll see.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:17 PM
Patterson was cut end of last year for sandbagging.

Brown is a FA and probably won't be resigned (strictly my opinion, though I think he played great last year)
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:19 PM
J/k

Wondering has Chud came out yet and said were going to the 3-4..or is all this just a bunch of speculation....

To me a good coach plays to the strenghts of the talent he has, to me he should look first at the talent we have and maybe make a judgement from that, he knows right now this minute we run a 4-3....if he goes & hires a 3-4 coach and trys to make our talent fit we end up with well.....The last 15 years....It's going to be intresting to see how he coachs the talent he has & the talent we will start getting.....

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned if were gonna trade for Cam Newton yet....or sign Panther players
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:20 PM
I was about to ask a similar question, Clay... anybody have any links other than an unsourced tweet from MKC re: switching to the 3-4?
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:25 PM
Patterson has already been cut

as to "who cares"? People act as if Rucker/Parker were bums, while Parker had to replaced anyway because of age, we're losing valuable resources here with a switch. Those guys combined for 10 sacks from one position, you don't replace that "just like that". We probably have to invest a top 10 pick to just get THAT back and haven't fixed anything else....in fact we ADD to the needs

I have to say, if Chud really is so fixated with the 3-4, then it was a bad hire. Someone compared him to Tomlin, as in being a longshot candidate, but aced the interview. Guess what, Tomlin kept the 3-4 and he came from the D side of the ball and was a Tampa 2 guy....Chud was an OC, leave the D the hell alone kid !!

I just don't get it...we would devalue our 2011 draft from good to horrible and set this D back another couple of years, just when these guys were about to be great playing healthy together, that's just stupid. This D held Roethli and the Steelers Offense to 4yds per play and we want to start from scratch?
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:28 PM
Quote:

I was about to ask a similar question, Clay... anybody have any links other than an unsourced tweet from MKC re: switching to the 3-4?

"The Browns are also likely to switch to a 3-4 defense, a source said, which means defensive coordinator Dick Jauron is probably gone. "

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/rob_chudzinski_cleveland_brown.html
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:29 PM
Nice hire!

NFL network credits Chud with building a system allowing Newton to be who he was rather than fitting him into a system of what he might be . Weedens issue if you ask me.

Like the Norv hire if it materializes. Fantastic O guy who like many just is NOT an HC.

Keep Jauron...

11am presser....NFL Network is showing it also.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:33 PM
That's just Mary Kay putting her tweet into an article. According to the article, her source is saying a switch to a 3-4. Then again, I'm pretty sure Mary Kay's articles yesterday said her source was saying we were down to Whisenhunt and Zimmer.

So...
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:37 PM
If she's wrong, I really hope she gets unloaded on. I am just so sick of her putting out so much crap.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:38 PM
Feed is up on clevelandbrowns.com of the presser - no one there yet, but feed is up and running...
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:38 PM
I'd be okay with keeping Jauron, but I'm not gripping about the possibility of him being gone either. The team defense was ranked 23rd in Yards (25th in passing and 19th in rushing) and 19th in Points. It was a bottom 1/3 defense. I don't really care if they run a 5-2 Oklahoma D, if they win.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:38 PM
doh! i knew that on patterson and somehow left him on. anyways, i agree on Brown, just that he is a guy we likely "would" have had next season with Heckert and now he's likely gone (unless we convince him to stay).
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:40 PM
Looking at the head coaches Chud has served under there seems to be just as much 4-3 D in his background if not more than 3-4. I think MKC is just looking at Chuds recent time in San Diego and making assumptions. Did Schottenheimer run the 4-3? If I remember right he did as did many of the coaches that came from his coaching tree. I believe Ron Rivera ran the 4-3 in Carolina also. I hope we find out at 11:00. Right now I am happy with this hire but will be less so if we are going to switch to the 3-4.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:41 PM
Chud has played on teams with both 4-3 (Butch, Marty and Rivera) and 3-4 (Norv and Romeo). If he wants to bring the 3-4 it might be because of the staff he thinks he can assemble for it.

And, I was only saying 'who cares' to Parker because he is easily replaceable. I'm not one that called what he did last season a bum, but I'm also not one that thinks he cannot be easily replaced. I had Rucker staying on as a 3-4 DE on my list.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:42 PM
Totals, as always, are misleading

The Browns were t14th with 5.3yds per play against, they were an AVG D and that's what most of us saw. When healthy though, this stat is much better, especially when Haden was in there.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:43 PM
I've been wrong before, but I thought Marty ran the 3-4.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:45 PM
Names for DC should we switch back I dont know who is out there.
Ryan returns?
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:46 PM
jc

Listening to Grossi on KNR this morning was pretty funny.

As for the Defense, I think this team is 1 good CB from being top-10. Another good corner means less double teams on good WRs. This frees up more bodies to attack the box. This makes our DL better.

Seeing how the defense was night and day when Haden played, you can see how that position has such a large effect on the pass-happy NFL.

Throw in a decent FS and maybe another DE (although it is hard to argue the stats of Rucker/Parker) and they can compete with almost anyone.

To reset the Def to 3-4 would be a disaster at this point. My first impression of Chud will be whether or not he sees it like this too.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:46 PM
[image]http://qkme.me/3sj1n1 [/image]

YES!!!! As soon as I heard Chud was interviewing, he became the number one pick in my mind.

I don;t understand the 3-4 rumor however as I haven't heard boo about Jauron being fired.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:49 PM
Quote:

[image]http://qkme.me/3sj1n1 [/image]

YES!!!! As soon as I heard Chud was interviewing, he became the number one pick in my mind.

I don;t understand the 3-4 rumor however as I haven't heard boo about Jauron being fired.

I'm encouraged by that. There's been no mention of changing the defensive side of the ball...although it was assumed from the get-go that Turner would be hired as OC.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:50 PM
I have to think someone will ask him about what he's going to do with the defense.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:52 PM
I'll be looking forward to that answer too. Reseting back to a 3-4 would just be stupid and would mean that we're getting rid of either Rubin or Taylor....our two best d-linemen.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:54 PM
Think of the dumbest stuff you could possibly ask and that'll be Grossi.

Pluto will ask the relevant, tough questions!
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:54 PM
I will be trying to post live what the questions/answers are, to the extent that I can. Hopefully stupid work doesn't get in the way, lol.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:55 PM
Mel Tucker- I believe the Jags gave permission for their staff to seek opportunities so I would guess this wouldn't be a problem with a lateral move.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:57 PM
Not being a dumb guy and no doubt wanting success ASAP one would think Chud would stay the course at the 43.

Hey, a guy who has been HERE three time and experienced US three times and still is thrilled to return tells me alot about the man!
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 03:57 PM
Quote:

I'll be looking forward to that answer too. Reseting back to a 3-4 would just be stupid and would mean that we're getting rid of either Rubin or Taylor....our two best d-linemen.

??

why would we do that? Rubin has played NT in a 3-4 and Taylor seems suited for either NT or DE in that system.

Sheard, on the other hand, is likely gone.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:00 PM
Here we go!

Edit: ok... not yet... maybe an intern or something coming through the door....
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:02 PM
Quote:

Quote:

??

why would we do that? Rubin has played NT in a 3-4 and Taylor seems suited for either NT or DE in that system.

Sheard, on the other hand, is likely gone.

Rubin and Taylor both fill the NT role in a 3-4. I don;t want either of these guys on the bench, Hughes could probably be a 3-4 DE but I don't think Winn is stout enough to. Same with Parker.

Plus who would our LBs be? Gocong would be good at an OLB and Dqwell would still be solid inside but then what. We go from needing a DE and an OLB to needing a DE, an OLB and an ILB AND cutting existing talent.

I pray we stay 4-3.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:04 PM
When is the presser again?
Posted By: Lucian Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:04 PM
Quote:

That's just Mary Kay putting her tweet into an article. According to the article, her source is saying a switch to a 3-4. Then again, I'm pretty sure Mary Kay's articles yesterday said her source was saying we were down to Whisenhunt and Zimmer.

So...

Mary Kay is an embarrassment. I don't believe a word she writes because it all appears to be wildly speculative.

Regarding the Chud hire, I'm cautiously optimistic (but, of course, I know nothing). I am certainly more excited than when Shurmur or even Holmgren were hired. I remember when Chud interviewed for OC the regime then said they were blown away by his presentation. While 'Browns fan' doesn't mean he'll succeed, it could mean he'll work harder than other guys (but you never know).

I personally hope to see us stay in a 4-3 for continuity sake because a) the defense is solid and b) a transition to 3-4 would take multiple years. (Candidly, I'm impatient, too, Jimmy!)

(Hey, my first post! LOL)
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:04 PM
Is robertson quick enough?
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:05 PM
Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

Go root for Buffalo

Oh wait, they run a 3-4 too now

I pray for it too, but I heard it from different "sources" now. Hopefully they all got used by J&J to sniff out the leaks
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:06 PM
Quote:

just started - on clevelandbrowns.com
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:06 PM
jc.

Wouldn't it be great if with the "power" Banner said he wanted to give the HC, if CHud turned around and said he wanted Heckert as his GM.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:06 PM
Quote:

Right now
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:07 PM
Haslam: Exciting. Took 11 days to find the right guy. Talked to 9 or 10 of "best coaches in the country." Obviously an offensive-minded coach. Regarded as one of the brightest young minds in business. Carolina scored 88 TDs, Cleveland scored 48.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:07 PM
He's plenty fast but I don't think he's big enough to be productive in a 3-4.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:07 PM
i have more details above, but I think Taylor can handle being a 3-4 DE with Rubin/Kitchen at NT.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:07 PM
Those numbers were a little telling - 88 TDs vs 48 TDs... of course htey did have Cam...
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:08 PM
4 or 5 year contract?

Rest assured he WILL get time regardless of fan grumblings!
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:08 PM
God, for a non amercian the southern accent is annyoing as hell...

and did Chud fart next to Banner or why does he go all Eric Wedge on us with his face?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:08 PM
The NFL Network just opined that Mel Tucker from Jacksonville might be the new DC. He ran a really good 4-3 down there, and he was also in Cleveland about the same time Chud was.

Could be an exceptional hire if we could get him.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:08 PM
Quote:

Those numbers were a little telling - 88 TDs vs 48 TDs... of course htey did have Cam...

Who was put into a system to score by.....
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:09 PM
This guy is very emotional to be here. Darn near in tears!
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:09 PM
Haslam: We have a great OL. We talked to many defensive people, but "exceptionally important" to get an offensive minded person. Want to win and be fun to watch.

Chud: Fulfill a dream of being Browns' HC. Excited about opportunity. Excited to bring back "what [he] grew up cheering for"
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:10 PM
Quote:

This guy is very emotional to be here. Darn near in tears!

Yeah - can tell he's not just excited to be a HC.. but to be the Browns' HC.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:10 PM
Doesn't sound like he's going to name any coaches today...
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:11 PM
Chud: Shared vision (with Haslam/Banner). First order of business is putting together coaching staff. Not going to comment on individuals.

Wants to reach out to players. Definitely have pieces to build on. It's a "process."
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:12 PM
Over/under 92.5 candidlys
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:12 PM
Sounds like they want to stick with Weeden for now.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:12 PM
Haslam stating that we are looking for GM, but can't say how long it'll take... Chud gonna be part of process to pick GM.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:12 PM
Haslam: Searching for GM/player personnel person. Want to get "right" person.

Banner: Feel good about the search process. Very impressed with Chud.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:13 PM
He is choking up a lot. Nice to see a guy who is genuinely excited not only to be a head coach, but to be the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. You can tell that he loves the team, and who really has just obtained his dream job.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:14 PM
That is fantastic news (about hiring a GM)! Hopefully, that will diminish Banner's presence in picking players.

Now, my pipe dream is going back to Heckert and saying, "Woops! Our bad!"
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:14 PM
We've seen six guys since 99 sit up there and ACT excited but this guy looks like he's been in tears over this. Pretty cool.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:14 PM
Q: what kind of roster inheriting?

Chud: Will evaluate when get staff together.

Q: how a different coach?

Chud: Need to constantly improve. Has been around great coaches.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:16 PM
Q: can browns be a winner in 2013?

Chud: not going to get into specifics until evaluate roster. "We're going to win here."

Q: Weeden.

Chud: Don't want to get into specifics until look at everything.

Q: Defensive style?

Chud: attacking style. Get after QB. Whether that's 3-4 or 4-3, nowadays a lot of hybrid. Will tie in with coordinator.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:17 PM
asked about defense...

"attacking style defense"

doesn't specific what system he goes

did state will depend on 'coordinator I hire'. so possibly hinting Jauron is gone.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:17 PM
Just commented on 4-3 vs 3-4. Said it will have to do with the "coordinator he hires". Sounds like Jauron is going to be gone.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:17 PM
Ok, so D hinges on the coordinator he hires.

could go either way.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:17 PM
Defense depends on coordinator. Attacking style defense.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:17 PM
Q: Interview process?

A: Interviewed Wed. Then had dinner again last night.

Q: Stunned?

A: No, excited. "A dream come true."
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:18 PM
Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

Even if they fire Jauron, I'd prefer we stay 4-3.

Although, the Packers were able to switch to it practically overnight a few years back...
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:18 PM
Sounds like he's meeting with current coaches today - 'has a plan for each one of them'
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

Although, the Packers were able to switch to it practically overnight a few years back...

Forget it, he just all but said it'll be a 3-4....
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:19 PM
Q: When putting together coaching staff, retain some staff?

A: Want to meet with current coaches.

Q: something about roster

A: share responsibility.

Q: How does Rob have strong leadership?

Haslam: very decisive. Very clear philosophy. Very well thought out and defined.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

Although, the Packers were able to switch to it practically overnight a few years back... [

Funny, i didnt hear that!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:20 PM
Rob saying if he's comfortable with the Coordinator calling plays then they will... if he's not comfortable with the coordinator calling plays yet then he will.. could go either way.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

I think you heard what you wanted to hear... i didn't hear that at all...
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:22 PM
Q: Who call plays?

Chud: Will be determined by staff.

Q: look at Browns as best opening? (stupidest question ever. What's he going to say, no?)

A: Yes.

Q: what is vision for team?

A: Attacking. Physical, great effort, great finish. Fundamentally strong. Innovation. Best possible schemes. Put in best position to win.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:22 PM
Quote:

Rob saying if he's comfortable with the Coordinator calling plays then they will... if he's not comfortable with the coordinator calling plays yet then he will.. could go either way.

What a concept!
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:24 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

Do I really have to spell this out? Jesus... he talked about "hybrid"...the only scheme playing "hybrid" are 3-4 base schemes....4-3 teams run next to no hybrids
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:24 PM
Throw that guy out of the room! Dumb question!
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:24 PM
Q: How has philosophy developed?

A: Balanced approach. Run when need to, Pass when need to.

Q: Players have to fit, or you mold?

A: Need to put players in best position to win.

Q: Get guy you originally set out to get?

Haslam: We had characteristics, not a specific guy.

Q: something about knocking socks off.

Chud: felt had good connection.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:24 PM
Rob stating that his philosophy is to put players in best position to win - with cam 'i had to do something things with offense I've never done before to put cam and those players in the best way to win"

Jimmy doing a good job with answering if he got the guy he 'originally' wanted... had a bit of a smirk but stating that he thinks they got 'the right guy'
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:25 PM
I really like the idea the NFL Network put forth of Mel Tucker being our new DC.

We're into a lot of repeat type questions now.

Gotta adjust to the players you have. You don't take away from your principles, but finding roles for special players is critical.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:25 PM
Q: adjustments

A: Need to constantly make adjustments.

Q: philosophy?

A: Vertical downfield passing and balanced approach.

Q: know history

A: yes.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:25 PM

j/k

Quote:

I've always wondered....if your not comfortable with your OC to call plays...Why did you hire him than....if your not comfortable with the guy go get someone else.....who your comfortable with....it's your call...your staff...just heard that alot of times & made me wonder
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:26 PM
Enthusiasm! This guy is gushing it!
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:28 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

Do I really have to spell this out? Jesus... he talked about "hybrid"...the only scheme playing "hybrid" are 3-4 base schemes....4-3 teams run next to no hybrids

That is typically true Django and if I were a betting man, I'd probably say you're right. However, he hasn;t said they will go back to the 3-4 yet and until they let go of Jauron, I'm not going to slam my head against a door yet.

If Jauron gets canned, I will be very disappointed.
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:28 PM
Well Back to Future with Chud... Oh Boy... Well I guess we can just hope he works out.. He was not my choice( Bruce Arians) but I do own the Browns! We will see what he brings... Now if he hires his buddy Norv, then it might be alright!
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:29 PM
Q: feel about Chud?

Haslam: Very fluid process, but feel very good about Chud. Wanted to make sure about Chud.

Q: what made decision on chud easier?

Haslam: confirmation over dinner. good philosophy, etc. Very impressed with Chud.

Q: fondest moment as Browns fan.

Chud: tough to say. memories of pretending to be browns players. watch game outside to pretend at the stadium. Has eaten a dog biscuit or two.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:30 PM
Quote:

If Jauron gets canned, I will be very disappointed

then prepare to be disappointed. even if we keep the 4-3, then i'd guess we go hire a guy like Mel Tucker rather than keep Jauron.

Chud wants an attacking defense. Jauron's D is not that.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:30 PM
Q: pressure?

A: put plenty of pressure on myself.

Q: ever make it to the dawg pound?

A: no.

Q: something about HS years.

A: coach in HS was very influential.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:31 PM
Quote:

Well Back to Future with Chud... Oh Boy... Well I guess we can just hope he works out.. He was not my choice( Bruce Arians) but I do own the Browns! We will see what he brings... Now if he hires his buddy Norv, then it might be alright!

I was probably about as big an Arians backer as there was ...... but once Chud appeared on the radar, he quickly shot into a tie with Arians for me. I'm sure that age played a part in deciding on Arians ..... especially if it were a tie.

I am very happy with Chud.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:32 PM
Q: how determine that guy who never been a HC can be good?

Banner: had very clear pic of what we wanted.

Q: why ready now?

Chud: this is right fit. Learned from all prior coaches that he's worked with.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:33 PM
They mentioned that they went over all of the things that a successful head coach much be able to do, and Chud had answers/plans for all of those questions.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

then prepare to be disappointed. even if we keep the 4-3, then i'd guess we go hire a guy like Mel Tucker rather than keep Jauron.

11th in the league in sacks? Without a single dominant pass rusher. I dunno about not attacking.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:34 PM
AHHH!!!!!!!!!

"This is going to be about the process."
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:34 PM
AAARRRGH!! Not the "process!"
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:36 PM
Q: why will YOU be different?

A: Have a plan, have great people. Have young players. Important thing is "process."

Q: vertical passing game from where?

A: From Miami.

Q: when left in 2008, think you'd be back?

A: yes.

Q: why offense so important?

Banner: Chud has been successful. Right combo.

Q: something about process

Haslam: Very clear pic from beginning of what they wanted.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:36 PM
Every season is a process...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:37 PM
The most important thing is to get the right people in place, the pieces will fall into place from their.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:38 PM
Quote:

j/k

Quote:

I've always wondered....if your not comfortable with your OC to call plays...Why did you hire him than....if your not comfortable with the guy go get someone else.....who your comfortable with....it's your call...your staff...just heard that alot of times & made me wonder

Because he hopes it works out w Norv calling plays? And he's prepared to take that duty away if Norv starts doing a crappy job?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:38 PM
AHHHH!!!!! "Gut feeling"
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:38 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

11th in the league in sacks? Without a single dominant pass rusher. I dunno about not attacking.

our defense was simply not an attack based defense. kudos to the DL for getting sacks, but we were not bringing pressure from multiple angles, getting the pocket moved around, and other things associated with an attacking defense.

Jauron has been successful without it, but if Chud wants an attacking style, then it is a fundamental shift and Jauron will not be retained IMO.
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:40 PM
Ytown,
The reason I was high on Arians was that he was able to come into a situation, stabilize the situation with the entire organization and basically run through the season as a head coach but develop a young QB. Plus he has done it before. I do not know what was said, offered or maybe Arians did not want to leave but I'm luke warm on Chud.
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:41 PM
Q: what differentiated Chud from others?

Haslam: Chud very decisive and clear in what he wanted.

Q: what was most important part of Chud?

Haslam: very decisive. Many coordinators said they hate to go against Chud.

Q: why college coaches have a tough time in NFL?

Banner: key is who you surround yourself with.

Q: what did your "gut" tell you with Chud?

Haslam: we like Chud.

Q: how attack division?

Chud: tough division. Building good culture, build our identity.

*edit* starting to lose feed
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:42 PM
yeah I lost my feed as well...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:43 PM
I agree on Arians, and those are some of the very reasons I liked him.

Any other assistant coach is going to be more of a projection. Arians had the "advantage" of having his team run into massive chaos that thrust him into that leadership role.

Listening to Banner and Haslam talk about interviewing Chud, and how he was prepared with what he wants to do, who he wants to hire, how he'll put his program together, and so on tells me that he was ready to take that next step.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:47 PM
Quote:

yeah I lost my feed as well...

Same.

This never happened under Lerner!
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:49 PM
So what, exactly, did he say about the defense? My video was so choppy it was unintelligible. We'll all be reading between the lines, no doubt, but I'm wondering where he thinks we are now.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:51 PM
In summary, he said we won't talk about personnel until his staff evaluates it and that he wants an attacking style defense.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:51 PM
Just clicking

Not that this is new when a new coach is introduced, but he's saying all the right things but the emotion in his eyes and voice and body language is a bit more real feeling.. FWIW

On D, he didn't commit 3-4 or 4-3.. he talked more about things being a mixture or I think he used the word Hybrid.. something like that

Haslam is saying the right things also. He said that 11 days ago, they outlined the type of person they wanted then set out to find that person. They feel they did.

I don't get the feeling that anyone on the current staff is safe.. They keep referring to building a staff etc etc..

He made mention of already talking to some potential coaches last night then today again.

So, I guess we'll see in the next few days who's coming

Haslam mentioned that Rob will be involved in the GM/Player Personnel guy. So instead of just Joe and Jimmy, it will include Rob.

Tell you what (and I don't it don't mean diddly) But I got a good vibe from this presser.

I guess we'll see.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:55 PM
I'm glad this phase is over.
It'll be interesting to see his staff develop.

Wonder what length of contract is? He's going to get the time he needs you can count on that!

Amazed at how boyish he was and how he bristled at his old Browns memories!
I know Jummy said his coonection didnt matter but I think to us guys who've followed the team forever dig it!

I'm satisfied. Let's see what he brings.

All the perpetually aggravated Browns fans who delight in wallowing in their misery can blast away at his hiring. If you dont like him I'm betting youll be miserable for at least the next five years...

Go Browns!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:58 PM
While I enjoyed the success/progress of our defense this year, I wasn't as enamored with Jauron as most on here were. I think the success his defense enjoyed was more the product of the young talent Heckert brought in and given a little time (2 whole seasons) to gel together. I said it before, I'll say it again, the progress the defense made this year is because of the draft a couple seasons ago (Taylor, Sheard, etc).

I know Rob Ryan is a loony toon, but I would not mind in the least bringing him back in, given the assumption that we get a half decent GM in here that has proven he can draft well for the 3-4. Ryan did a remarkable job with a pretty bare cupboard, in terms of talent.

What I'm trying to say is that I won't shed a tear of Jauron gets the axe. The guy did a respectable job, but I won't miss his and Shurmer's prevent defenses losing games in the 4th quarter.

Please, Banner, get a 4-3 guy, though. The defensive talent is good and young, but won't survive a total scheme change.
Posted By: Kendall Storm Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 04:58 PM
Jauron is a goner. His defense was anything but attacking. Any where Jauron has been,his defenses exactly don't have a identity of being attacking and in your face.
Its a safe bet to say that Chudzinski will around longer than Shurmur.
I give him 3 years at the least.
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:00 PM
I guess that is the part that of course I wish we could take out
Quote:

Any other assistant coach is going to be more of a projection.

Listening to the interview, yea Chud sounds like he is ready to go to the next level and depending on who he gets as assistants will make a difference. But now he also has to evaluate talent and work with Banner(another Unkown as far as picks) to hopefuly put together a team. .. Just alot of unknowns again for the Browns.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:01 PM
Steve Hagen, our current tight ends coach, was the QB coach when Chudzinski was in Cleveland in 2004. He is the only guy that has worked with Chud on the Browns.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:04 PM
Quote:

Steve Hagen, our current tight ends coach, was the QB coach when Chudzinski was in Cleveland in 2004. He is the only guy that has worked with Chud on the Browns.

I'm betting the TE's will get more work in 2013 under Chuds O.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:05 PM
Quote:

I know Rob Ryan is a loony toon, but I would not mind in the least bringing him back in, given the assumption that we get a half decent GM in here that has proven he can draft well for the 3-4. Ryan did a remarkable job with a pretty bare cupboard, in terms of talent.

Under Rob Ryan our defense finished 31st and 22nd.

Here are the rankings of Rob Ryan coordinated defenses in terms of yards allowed:

Rob Ryan is the definition of all hype no substance.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:07 PM
just a note of RBs under Chud since I have seen some notes that he ignored his RBs in Carolina:

Carolina under Chud:

9th ranked rushing attack in 2012 by yds (8th by YPC)
3rd ranked rushing attack in 2011 by yds (3rd by YPC)

Yes, Cam accounts for some of that, but he used the weapons he had. Also, in 2007, he helped Jamal Lewis have a renaissance year. Chud doesn't ignore the run (nor does Norv, he has an impressive slate of RBs under his watch).

2011 Deangelo+Stewart = 1597 rushing yds (5.4YPC)
63rec 548yds
12 TDs

2012 Deangelo+Stewart = 1073 rushing yds (4.1YPC)
30rec 344yds
9 TDs

**note** Stewart injured or playing hurt much of 2012. in his place, Tolbert added:
183yds rushing on 3.4 YPC
27rec 268yds
7 TDs
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:08 PM
anything on Tuckers Panther D?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:09 PM
And we were trotting David Bowens and Eric Barton out there.

Like I said, bare cupboard.

All this conversation is moot, however, if the Browns do the smart thing and stick with the 4-3. :-)
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:09 PM
Quote:

I'm glad this phase is over.
It'll be interesting to see his staff develop.

Wonder what length of contract is? He's going to get the time he needs you can count on that!

Amazed at how boyish he was and how he bristled at his old Browns memories!
I know Jummy said his coonection didnt matter but I think to us guys who've followed the team forever dig it!

I'm satisfied. Let's see what he brings.

All the perpetually aggravated Browns fans who delight in wallowing in their misery can blast away at his hiring. If you dont like him I'm betting youll be miserable for at least the next five years...

Go Browns!

5 year deal worth $3 million annually.

Rob Chudzinski, Cleveland Browns' new head coach, won't need lessons on team's storied tradition | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...art_maj-story-1

He received what's believed to be a five-year deal in the $3 million-plus a year range.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:11 PM
Quote:

anything on Tuckers Panther D?

Tucker is the DC and asst. HC in Jacksonville (not Carolina). We cannot even interview him unless he is released or JAX grants us permission.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:12 PM
Good!

We've talked consistency and what not for years but never had the belly to stick it out. This WILL be different.
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:17 PM
J/C

Since we all love to throw out names for possible assistants, I'm going throw one out for DC - if we switch to the 3/4: Kevin Greene. He was a dominating pass rusher for several teams and has done a super job with the LBs in Green Bay. This is his 4th year as LBs coach, so I don't know if experience would be a detriment, but he definitely fits the attacking mentality that Chud mentioned.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:18 PM
I believe Jacksonville has given all of their assistants permission to seek new jobs as Mularkey was fired.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:22 PM
Cant get more high strung than Greene! I love emotional, animated coaches!
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:24 PM
Quote:

Cant get more high strung than Greene! I love emotional, animated coaches!

I do up to a point. With him it seems more legit than with a buffoon like Ryan.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:25 PM
Grossi at it already

Quote:

By Tony Grossi

A search that began with lofty hopes of big-namers Nick Saban or Chip Kelly has concluded with two-time Browns assistant coach Rob Chudzinski as the first head coach of the Jimmy Haslam-Joe Banner era.

Chudzinski, a boyhood Browns fan growing up in Toledo, reached a deal Thursday night and will be introduced Friday morning as the club’s sixth full-time head coach in the expansion era since 1999.

Chudzinski, 44, fits the mold of young, offensive-minded NFL assistant that Banner struck when Andy Reid was a surprise choice as Philadelphia Eagles head coach 14 years ago.

The difference is that Chudzinski is not an unknown to Browns fans as Reid was to Eagles fans 14 years ago. He served as an assistant coach under two of the five head coaches who proceeded him.

Butch Davis brought him over from University of Miami as tight ends coach in 2004. After Davis resigned/was fired during that season, Chudzinski joined Norv Turner in San Diego.

Two years later, Browns GM Phil Savage hired Chudzinski as Romeo Crennel’s offensive coordinator. When the Savage era was blown up following a disappointing 2008 season, Chudzinski returned to San Diego as Turner’s assistant head coach.

That association apparently will be renewed in Cleveland. Multiple reports Thursday night said Turner, who was fired as San Diego head coach, will be Chudzinski’s offensive coordinator with the Browns.

For the past two years, Chudzinski was quarterback Cam Newton’s offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers. Chud’s work with Newton – developing him while adjusting to his unique skill set -- secured his reputation as one of the league’s brightest offensive coordinators.

Chudzinski’s star really rose in the 2007 season, when he parlayed Derek Anderson’s big arm into a high-wire pass offense with Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. The Browns scored 402 points and amassed 5,621 yards of offense – third-best in both categories in franchise history.

The Browns went 10-6, missing the AFC playoffs on tiebreakers. It was the only season in the younger Lerner’s 10-year stewardship in which the Browns did not lose 10 or more games.

Lerner rewarded his top men with big contract extensions. Chudzinski, Anderson, Crennel and Savage all received new deals, but Chudzinski was given the longest of all of them – four years. They did it to stave off a request by the Baltimore Ravens to interview Chudzinski for their vacancy at head coach.

When the 2008 season crashed to a more-familiar 4-12, Lerner blew up the whole Savage regime. Chudzinski actually was getting paid by the Browns through the 2011 season – minus what he was paid by his other teams.

Chudzinski will outline his plans on defense at Friday morning’s press conference. It has been speculated that he will return the Browns to a 3-4 defensive system. An immediate contender to head the defense is Mel Tucker, who filled that role alongside Chudzinski under Crennel.

The Browns interviewed eight known candidates for the job to succeed Pat Shurmur. Chronologically, they were: Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, former Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt, Penn State coach Bill O’Brien, Oregon coach Chip Kelly, former Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman and Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

This line tells it all

Quote:

A search that began with lofty hopes of big-namers Nick Saban or Chip Kelly has concluded with two-time Browns assistant coach Rob Chudzinski as the first head coach of the Jimmy Haslam-Joe Banner era.

Neither Haslam or Banner made mention on December 31 of Saban or Chip Kelly.. That was 100% media speculation. (and to a point fan speculation fueled by Media speculation)

But Grossi makes it sound as if Haslam shot high and missed and settled for Chud,.

Now I don't know if Chud will take us where we want to be or not. Nobody knows. But gees, Tony,, make some more stuff up with ya.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=10681
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:27 PM
Tony Grossi, King Troll
Posted By: Schadenfreude Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:29 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

Seattle runs a hybrid 4-3; one of their DE's that starts is 335 lbs.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:29 PM
jc

After watching that presser, I'm absolutely stoked for this guy to be the coach!!
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:30 PM
He's just ticked because his "sources" didn't think of this one first!
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:30 PM
Quote:

Tony Grossi, King Troll

Our writers are just the type I'm talking about when I say "perpetually unhappy, satisfied in their misery, Browns fans."

If we'd win it all they'd complain about the game plan!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:37 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Tony Grossi, King Troll

Our writers are just the type I'm talking about when I say "perpetually unhappy, satisfied in their misery, Browns fans."

If we'd win it all they'd complain about the game plan!

Oh Hell, people on here would do the same thing LOL

kendallstorm would say we won in spite of ourselves
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:43 PM
I'm just waiting for the tweet about Haslam being an irrelevant billionaire.
Posted By: Kendall Storm Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:44 PM
really?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 05:47 PM
Quote:

Seattle runs a hybrid 4-3;

Correct. Here's a link to about the best explanation I've seen of it...

http://www.seahawks101.com/2012/02/28/seattle-seahawks-breaking-down-pete-carrolls-hybrid-defense/
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:00 PM
Quote:

I believe Jacksonville has given all of their assistants permission to seek new jobs as Mularkey was fired.

haven't seen it when i looked and i would think that they are smart enough to try to keep Tucker depending on what they do at HC.

heck, they might HIRE Tucker to be their HC
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:22 PM
Thanks for that.
It was informative,you know,like journalism should be.
Posted By: Schadenfreude Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Seattle runs a hybrid 4-3;

Correct. Here's a link to about the best explanation I've seen of it...

http://www.seahawks101.com/2012/02/28/seattle-seahawks-breaking-down-pete-carrolls-hybrid-defense/

That's a good link; it gets a bit more confusing when Irvin is on the field on occasion; they'll sometimes have 4 down linemen and 4 linebackers on occasion as well.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 06:58 PM
Quote:

Has eaten a dog biscuit or two.

LOL....I'm sold....What Browns fan hasnt eaten a dog biscuit or nibbled on one....
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:12 PM
I don't think any defense is just a base anymore.

Even our 4-3 was a mixture of one gap, two gap. At least iirc they talked about ruben playing differently than taylor.

Personally at this point I would hate to see us change the defense yet again just to change it. But chud did talk about hybrids.

Whatever they do I believe one thing...these guys are in for the long haul.

Chud WILL get his 5 years...with his offense...with whatever defense he decides in the best long term. Listening to him talk about using players that you have, we may start out with a 4-3...then a hybrid...then a 3-4. Or anywhere in between.

It will be nice to see who he chooses as his coordinators. I did find it odd when asked about calling plays that he said he would call them if he had too. Kinda sounds like turner isn't a shoe in yet.

This organization just took their time and found a guy that fit what they wanted and they are comfortable with. I honestly think the days of knee jerk reactions in Cleveland are done. We are building for the long haul.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:19 PM
I actually wondered if they were going to try to bring back Cribbs when I heard him talk about finding roles for special players, Cribbs was kinda the first guy I thought of. I don't know if they'll bring him back with him heading over the 30 hill really soon ...... but who knows?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:22 PM
i think that is more up to Cribbs than anything. is he willing to be paid like a ST player and focus on STs?

if yes, then i don't see how the FO could decide to part ways (KR, Kick Coverage guy he is still good)

if no, then it'll be a sad day as i'm a fan, but it'll be for the best for him to leave
Posted By: HewDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:29 PM
Quote:

Quote:

lifer...your son is pretty sharp...

I guess Grossi was not allowed in the room for this hire...

Chud...not a bad hire...we certainly "could do" worse...

Someone with some links to the area and the Browns...someone who dreamed of coaching the Browns and now has a chance to live out that dream.

Chud has my full support...also, I like the idea of pairing him up with Norv Turner, which might have been at Chud's request.

Now that Haslam and Banner have made the choice for head coach, the next move will be hiring a GM. Now Haslam and Banner need to find the best GM they can find...someone who has a record of being a good judge of talent...someone who can continue the rebuilding process and build on foundation that has been established.

The way I see it, this team should be two years away from challenging for a playoff birth...just once, the Browns need to finish what was started !

I actually feel that between Banner and Haslam, Chud stands the best chance to stick around longer than any HC so far. My gut tells me that Jimmy will be more patient in the rebuilding process than Lerner was with his HC's.

I like the hire. I'm not concerned if we change defenses as well. Many on here are talking like we had a top ranked defense in all categories however stats state otherwise. My preference is to keep what we have and see what it looks like in a couple years.
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:38 PM
I think its more of "if they had him" compared to him being a fa.

I don't think he'll sign for cheap since he wants to be a receiver.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:46 PM
Well I'm shocked..never saw it coming..I think because they missed out on the big names,some due to Banner..and the fact that Chud is young and wants to coach the Browns,..he blew them away..
Now I ant to see the OC/DC..and whomever is going to play Quasi GM.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:48 PM
Norv Turner's our new OC, Attack...
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:51 PM
I blame the media. They throw out names in hopes of being right and looking like a genius.

They made it sound like we were all in for chip kelly.

Maybe the meeting was so long because he was the biggest unknown with no nfl experience. The way he was hyped you would have to get an interview quick.

These guys talked to all sorts of coaches. I for one like the fact that they interviewed so many. When they found the guy they liked they acted.
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:52 PM
is that confirmed? or just really likely?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:53 PM
Not confirmed. It's just "likely" at this point. We all know how that can turn out.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 07:58 PM
Quote:

I blame the media. They throw out names in hopes of being right and looking like a genius.

They made it sound like we were all in for chip kelly.

Maybe the meeting was so long because he was the biggest unknown with no nfl experience. The way he was hyped you would have to get an interview quick.

These guys talked to all sorts of coaches. I for one like the fact that they interviewed so many. When they found the guy they liked they acted.

I think that is exactly right. What I've learned as a "hiring person" in my professional life, when you perform multiple interviews, you gain more insight about what you want as the process moves along. Every candidate has something more to bring to the table.

None of the candidates really had everything they wanted. When Chud hit all of the critical points, it's no surprise they acted so quickly.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:02 PM
j/c

Not sure Chud will be a great coach, good coach, or fail miserably but i like the hire. I would much rather take a chance on up and comer then hire a retread like Whisenhunt or a coach that has no NFL experience what so ever in Chip Kelly.

Good Luck Chud.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:10 PM
I want to see Turners name cemented..and who is going to be the new DC.
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:14 PM
That's what I thought. Especially when I heard chud talking about calling plays if he had to. If its turner he's not. If it's another up and comer, he might until the guy is ready.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:18 PM
So were we the only team Chud interviewed with?

The local radio guys in C-Bus keep saying we got someone nobody else wanted.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:23 PM
Quote:

So were we the only team Chud interviewed with?

of course, he had 3 HC interviews last year. bet he's glad today he didn't get the JAX job!
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:24 PM
He interviewed with 3 teams last year iirc.

I could care less what the media says...they are a joke at all levels, except maybe the weather...and i would get that somewhere else too, because they have to dramatize that too...

Get him a guy to draft good talent, and some good coordinators, and get the heck out of the way for the duration.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:31 PM
Quote:

I'm glad nobody else wanted him, In a few years from now they may be wishing they did.

This might just be one of those odd lucky things that turns out well for this organization and us fans.
Posted By: get_rowdy Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:34 PM
Does anyone happen to have a link to the archived presser? The videos on the main site won't load for me and I don't appear to be alone.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:35 PM
Quote:

He interviewed with 3 teams last year iirc.

I could care less what the media says...they are a joke at all levels, except maybe the weather...and i would get that somewhere else too, because they have to dramatize that too...

Get him a guy to draft good talent, and some good coordinators, and get the heck out of the way for the duration.

What's that Heckert fella doing these days?
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:37 PM
Quote:

Does anyone happen to have a link to the archived presser? The videos on the main site won't load for me and I don't appear to be alone.

web page
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:37 PM
sup rowdy.

works fine on chrome for me.

part 1

part 2
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:38 PM
I will throw out a couple names of DC's. Mel Tucker obvious one. Jacke Del Rio, Dave Campo, Steve Spagnuolu, Rod Marinelli.

There are a lot of good DC's out there looking for work. Spagnuolo and Campo would be my two top choices.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:39 PM
What I enjoyed seeing from chud is a few things, emotion true emotions as he is what millions of us cant play football guys wanna be...Coach...coach of the freaking Cleveland Browns....CLEVELAND BROWNS, sure dosent mean much to others but for us who bleed orange & Browns it means a dream come true..forget the dreams of models in bikinis on the beach, Chud is living the best one of all,

I like seeing a football guy, not a arrogent, power hungry know it all coach like so many out thier, you can tell when thier talking thier thinking of the proper thing to say to not come off as arrogent, but we know they are, Chud is a football guy, he talks football, he seems real, sure you have to have some attitude to be or survive as a coach in the NFL, but I dont see the power arrogence I see in others.

Good Luck Chud, theres gonna be hard times, hey it's Cleveland...Your living your dream....help us live ours....Bring a Super Bowl Trophy to Cleveland
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:41 PM
Del Rio and Spagnuolo are currently employed as defensive coordinators.
Posted By: get_rowdy Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:44 PM
Quote:

sup rowdy.

works fine on chrome for me.

part 1

part 2

Hey. Thanks. It wouldn't play in Firefox for some reason so I installed Chrome just to watch it.

Life as a Browns fan.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:46 PM
nice to see ya Rowdy!

I thought it was a good presser.. basically what I expected.... didn't really say anything too telling, but nice to see a coach who seemed to really, really want to be coaching here. Seemed a little emotional. It should be an interesting couple of weeks to see who else we bring in.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:50 PM
Quote:

I'm just waiting for the tweet about Haslam being an irrelevant billionaire.

It's still early.. actually, I don't think even Grossi is that dumb..LOL
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 08:56 PM
Quote:

really?

Wow, that has to be the shortest post by you ever..

Yeah, Really.. that's exactly how you act..
Posted By: BrownieElf Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 09:01 PM
He does come off like that.

He was damn well near tears talking about the browns. One thing is for sure...these players are going to know exactly how the fan base feels based on what the browns do on sunday.

The thing that excites me the most is I think that we are finally going to see continuity. Haslam and banner are doing their due diligence.

Personally I think time is the key, and was bummed with another reset, but I get it.

Chud will get the time to learn, grow, teach, and implement an offense and defense.

I'm just guessing, cause I don't know Haslam, but he sure comes off as the type that will work hard, pick someone, and then get behind them and not second guess himself.

I honestly think that the insanity stops now....we are in for all the benefits of continuity and stability over time.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 09:12 PM
Guys like Haslam will get out of the way for a while. When they figure out their investment is going up in smoke they engage in a special kind of hardassery. At least it won't be a boring end of the season if we fall apart.

I'm cautiously optimistic. It all depends on the DC now. And what they get for a "GM".
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski - 01/11/13 09:13 PM
Quote:

Well I'm shocked..never saw it coming..I think because they missed out on the big names,some due to Banner..and the fact that Chud is young and wants to coach the Browns,..he blew them away..
Now I ant to see the OC/DC..and whomever is going to play Quasi GM.

Here we go again with the "we missed out" on some of the big names. As far as I know, NO other offers were ever made.. None were reported, none were discussed. Just interviews.

Now, Kelly was a guy I thought they might have tried for if the second interview had actually taken place, but we can't miss on a guy that stayed where he was

I only say that becasue of the similar time line of events.

Interviewed Kelly one day, set up dinner for the next night. Could have been to confirm what they thought. Kelly no shows.

Interviewed Chud Wednesday, had dinner with him the next night and an hour into the dinner, they offer him the job..

Who knows, had the dinner occured with kelly last saturday, and he turned us down, that would have been swinging at a pitch in the dirt.

But the rest of the guys they interviewed, for my money, I don't think anyone else impressed them enough to jump on.

Whisenhut would have jumped on it, Trestman would have jumped on it, Marrone took Buffalo so quickly it was crazy, McCoy would have jumped on it, the guy from Penn State turned down all interviews, Saban didn't want to leave Bama.

Honestly, of all the candidates, there really were only three that I liked, and we got one of them.

What I didn't expect was to hear that we may get Norv Turner as an OC.. Now that's just icing on the cake...

hope it happens.

Myself, after someone reminded me about Chud (cause for whatever reason, I always forget about him) I thought that was a sure thing.. that's why I said we'd have someone hired by Friday..
© DawgTalkers.net