Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
J/C

Im not sure how I feel on this hire yet. I know a lot of folks were down on him when he was our OC, but I dont remember much about him one way or the other. I guess time will tell.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Shurmur was unimaginative and ran an archaic offense that he ran poorly

Once again, you can't fault the HC for his QB being unable to make the timely throws and quick decisions that the offense requires of him.

1st String
1st String
Dayum. I was hoping Chris Palmer was available. Retread? 'ehhh....

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
I'm not thrilled by this pick. I was hoping for Zimmer. Regardless, I am hoping this is our head coach for at least the next 5 years. I don't want the fans or media to run him out of town. Give this guy a fair chance.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

That's not true at all.

Our defensive line gets a ton better, our secondary remains the same. JMJ played MLB in a 3-4 in college, DQ has played at MLB in a 3-4, Sheard has been a pass rusher standing up this year even. They would need a lot more depth and a starting OLB, but not 2-3 years backwards bad.

I agree. It will definitely change up our LBs, but Cogong, Jackson both played decent ILB in our 3-4 with Rob Ryan. I think JMJ fits that ILB position. Sheard will have to transition to OLB and we'll have to find another starting one via draft or FA. Hopefully that Damontre Moore or whatever will be there and we can draft him (or even better Jarvis Jones). We had to upgrade DE anyway......

I really don't think it'll be that bad on our D-Line. I don't see why Phil Taylor can't play it, and Rubin is experienced in it. Hughes and Wynn, we'll have to see what they can do.

But yeah, OLB will have to be upgraded, see ya Frostee. I dunno if that guy Parker can play it, but he's pretty old as it is. So, 3-4 OLB has to be upgraded and guys like LJ Fort and Craig Robertson will have to try and figure out 3-4 ILB. But it's not the end of the world or anything.

Obviously, I'd prefer keeping Jauron and the defense in-tact. Some sort of continuity with a coaching change is a good thing IMO. So I'd like to keep Jauron. Plus I prefer the 4-3. But 3-4 doesn't have to be that big of a set back. Especially if it's implemented in a smart way. (Or if the guy running it is Big Romeo Crennel, whom I would love to bring back. His record as a DC is as good as anyone's. I loved watching him speed waddle onto the field to throw that challenge flag, and I loved his smile. I hated his time management and actual challenges, but that's over for him. I'd love a RAC Attack 3-4 Defense, lol. Loved Romeo the guy and Loved Rob Ryan the guy (definitely my favorite in replays of any coach, lol))

Wow... I disagree completely. Our front seven is almost completely ill-suited for the 3-4. Rubin can play nose in that scheme. Taylor might be able to learn to play nose, but he's built to play 4-3 DT. We would need new DEs (Winn MIGHT be able to play here, but we'd still need to find 2-3 others). Our LBs would be a mess. DQ was decidedly average-to-bad as a 3-4 ILB. Gocong would be the only reliable guy back there and we would be back to needing, not one, but TWO OLB (the hardest position to find for a 3-4). We're talking an almost complete re-tool to be any good. 2-3 years.

C'mon Chud... be smart and stick with the 4-3. We're almost there right now.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Patting myself on the back,,,

About two days ago on one of the million head coach threads, I said they'd name someone by friday.. I was wrong, they did it by thursday.. LOL

In all seriousness, this is about as good a hire as there is out there.

I read on Cleveland.com or wkyc.com that he's bringing in Norv Turner as OC and Turners son to help out on O.

Almost sounds as if he's planning on keeping the D intact.

Heres one article:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/rob_chudzinski_cleveland_brown.html#incart_river

and on Norv Turner

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/norv_turner_may_return_to_fami.html#incart_river

At first blush, I'm pretty excited..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If it happened on Thursday, then it was "by Friday." You were not wrong.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Almost sounds as if he's planning on keeping the D intact.

The only thing I see mentioned about the D in either article is suggesting that it's a likely move to a 3-4 and that Juraun (sp.) is likely gone.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
That's what I saw too. Mary Kay is often wrong though. Let's hope this is one of those instances.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

That's what I saw too. Mary Kay is often wrong though. Let's hope this is one of those instances.

I agree totally - on all both counts!

For me it's not even the DC so much (God, I hope it's not Rob Ryan) as keeping the 4/3. I just think it's a better defense and we obviously have the personnel to run it here. Adding a few pieces is much easier than redoing the whole thing.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Norv Turner to join Browns staff as offensive coordinator
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 11, 2013, 6:09 AM EST

After the Cleveland Browns named Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach Wednesday night, the Browns have already begun adding to their new coaching staff.

According to Peter Schrager of FOX Sports, the Browns are expected to hire former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner as their new offensive coordinator. The Chargers fired Turner on Dec. 31.

Chudzinski served as assistant head coach and tight ends coach for the Chargers under Turner from 2009-2010. It will be Turner’s fifth stop as an offensive coordinator. Turner was the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys from 1991-1993, the Chargers in 2001, the Miami Dolphins from 2002-2003 and the San Francisco 49ers in 2006.

web page

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I definitely like the Turner hire as OC.

I guess we'll get answers about the D and other things when Chud is officially announced at a press conference. I didn't read anything in any of the posts mentioning when that might be, but I could have missed it.

-Derek Jeter
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Somewhere I read 11:00 am today.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
As a humorous aside... my kid writes a blog about Cleveland sports in general and offered the following gem:

"Tony Grossi is 'shocked' by the hire. So are his sources."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I've seen the same report from 3 different places and it's about right..11am presser..

don't know if they'll name Norv in that presser. don't know if they'll discuss D at all..

and I was wrong about the D.. I read that all wrong sorry about that.

we may end up with a 3-4 I really don't see a need to change..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

As a humorous aside... my kid writes a blog about Cleveland sports in general and offered the following gem:

"Tony Grossi is 'shocked' by the hire. So are his sources."

lifer...your son is pretty sharp...

I guess Grossi was not allowed in the room for this hire...

Chud...not a bad hire...we certainly "could do" worse...

Someone with some links to the area and the Browns...someone who dreamed of coaching the Browns and now has a chance to live out that dream.

Chud has my full support...also, I like the idea of pairing him up with Norv Turner, which might have been at Chud's request.

Now that Haslam and Banner have made the choice for head coach, the next move will be hiring a GM. Now Haslam and Banner need to find the best GM they can find...someone who has a record of being a good judge of talent...someone who can continue the rebuilding process and build on foundation that has been established.

The way I see it, this team should be two years away from challenging for a playoff birth...just once, the Browns need to finish what was started !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

I've seen the same report from 3 different places and it's about right..11am presser..

don't know if they'll name Norv in that presser. don't know if they'll discuss D at all..

and I was wrong about the D.. I read that all wrong sorry about that.

we may end up with a 3-4 I really don't see a need to change..

I just got a Facebook status update about the 11:00 presser, from the official source. I'm kind of excited about this for some odd reason. I sure hope he decides to stay the course with the defense.

The bonus is Grossi being "shocked" by the decision. That tells me his sources are full of crap, which is a good thing.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
I'm happy with the Chud hire. Much more so than I would have been if we had gone Whisenhunt and after reading yesterday about a 2nd interview with him I was concerned. Thankfully that concern was misplaced.

Norv... in a position he's proven to be successful and think this is a good move and I'm glad it happened quickly.

Moving back to a 3-4...

I hope this report is wrong.

#GMSTRONG
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
He wasn't my 1st choice,but big deal,what the hell do I know.
I have been very skeptical of the new regime,therefore every move,or reported move has been met with negativity from me.
But,I
can't
find
anything
negative
to say.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Welcome "home" to HC CHud! Win. A lot. NO WCO. I wish you the best.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Norv Turner as OC was just confirmed

This makes me happy.

Now if we can just keep Dick Jauron as our DC things will go well. I would like some continuity and Jauron would be a nice guy to keep around. Experienced guy left to run his defense the way he sees fit

I think I'm more excited about Norv Turner being our OC than Chud being our HC.

I've always held Turner in very high esteem for his offensive mind. I've always been badly underwhelmed with him as a HC. He's seemed to me to be one of those guys...like Jauron or Dick Lebeau or Gunter Cunningham...who just didn't to have what it took to be the top coach, but was in the elite as a coordinator. There is no denying his pedigree nor his track record of success with his offenses. If the Browns keep Weeden, there wouldn't be a better guy to coach him up to see if he's a candidate or a dud.

As for Chud, I don't really have an opinion. I know he's been well thought of for a while, but I just don't know any more about him now than I did when he was here the last 18 times, hehe. He fits the mold I wanted of a young head coach who has coordinator experience but isn't a retread (like Whisenhunt). The Cleveland ties are a good sub-plot, but not critical to anything.

Yup, I'm more excited about Turner than I am Chud, but only because I know what Turner is capable of. It can be argued that his credentials as an OC in the NFL are unrivaled.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm cautiously optimistic. There is definitely a lot to be optimistic about, but we ARE talking about the Browns.

Unfortunately I can't feel too good til the GM situation is settled.

And the thought of a switch to 3-4 D makes me nervous.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
J/C

I was surprised to hear the announcement. I too think I am more excited about Norv Turner as OC than I am about Chud as HC. I am unenthusiastic about a defensive scheme switch. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Our front seven is almost completely ill-suited for the 3-4. Rubin can play nose in that scheme. Taylor might be able to learn to play nose, but he's built to play 4-3 DT. We would need new DEs (Winn MIGHT be able to play here, but we'd still need to find 2-3 others). Our LBs would be a mess. DQ was decidedly average-to-bad as a 3-4 ILB. Gocong would be the only reliable guy back there and we would be back to needing, not one, but TWO OLB (the hardest position to find for a 3-4). We're talking an almost complete re-tool to be any good. 2-3 years.

C'mon Chud... be smart and stick with the 4-3. We're almost there right now.

Yeah, this is the big negative for me, if true. I hope MKC was just going for "firsties" and guessing what might happen (SD ran a 3-4)

But I agree that this would require a personnell overhaul.

Players whose abilities decrease in a 3-4:
Jabaal Sheard
Billy Winn (he's shaped like a 3-4 end but that's not his game at all)
Phil Taylor
DQ
Craig Robertson
Frostee Rucker

We would be stacked at NT as both Hughes and Kitchen would be solid backups to Rubin... but then what of Phil Taylor?

I really hope MKC is just blowing smoke. I'm hoping Chud, being a Browns fan, sees what we have and lets the 4-3 stay.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
It appears that the Chargers ran the 3-4 and Carolina runs a 4-3 so it may not be a lock that we are going to switch.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

just a thought, but maybe this 3-4 talk is all on Haslam? He was a Steeler not long ago, and since he's a fan-owner maybe he wants the same kind of D no matter what we have here?

A switch to the 3-4 pretty much would destroy MOST of what Heckert did good here. Only his 1st draft (also still for the Mangini 3-4 back then) of Haden and Ward would be unaffacted.

Let's look at the rest:

Rubin: can start in both schemes as the NT, experience in both and equally good. Guy's a machine and the best Browns player the past years, it's not even close imho

Taylor: the ??s already start here. Would be a luxury to just rotate him with Rube. "Maybe" he can play DE, but even if he's equally as good it's already a value loss. I give hm a good 75% chance of converting to 3-4 DE

Hughes: backup NT only to spell Rube. He was a rotational player in the 4-3, so no change, but his rookie season basically was for naught.

Winn: on paper, a better 3-4 fit since he was always deemed a tweener, but I think he never was seen as a 3 down player in either scheme, that's why he fell in the draft and I have to admit that I like him better as a 4-3 rotational DT than 3 down 3-4 DE. Maybe in a rotation with Rucker and Taylor.

Rucker: He's a lot like Orpheus Roye, so forget about a conversion to the 3-4. Maybe as a rotational DE if he bulks up a bit but not for that money. He will be traded for a late rounder or get cut if we switch

Sheard: next big ?? Can he move to OLB? Sure, but he was a sure thing as a 4-3 DE, so we're back to "maybe-land and succesfully erase any development he has made the past 2 seasons. Rather stupid...

Stephens: Could be moved to OLB, longshot though and we will bring in other guys for depth. He's gone and was a nice no4 4-3 DE to have

Dqwell: I guess he was the one who "twittered" that about Banner. Obvious step back for him. He was above AVG to good in the 4-3. In the 3-4 he's back to AVG to below AVG. He's not made to shed blockers. Trade candidate or kept as stop gap solution. Expensive though

Gocong: Can and has played both. He was an AVG 4-3 OLB and I think he can both play ILB and SOLB in a 3-4 at a similar level

Robertson: biggest waste of talent along with Sheard and Taylor, but unlike the former 2 there's ZERO hope for him in this scheme. He's gone...if we get lucky we'll squeeze a late rounder out of him in a trade. If I was a 4-3 GM I would happily fork over a 5th or 6th to make sure to get him

Maiava: see Robertson, even though he started off in the 3-4 but was less effective there, but since he's a FA he's gone anyways. The switch would only seal the deal.

JMJ: this is the only guy that I see being a better fit in the 3-4. He's made to play SILB in this scheme imho. Not sure he qualifies as a "thumper" because of his size but he has some value and, as I said, probably more than in the 4-3. At least good depth inside. Same applies to Acho

Carder and Fort are gone. Carder was drafted in the 5th round by a 3-4 team and got cut immediately. He's strictly a 4-3 WLB

I hear some guys say the switch wouldn't set us back so much, but that's BS. We're losing good depth we built, add a couple of major needs and add even more "maybes" to the equation. To make things worse: the tough part of a 4-3 D is to find good DL, LBs in that scheme are dime a dozen...for the 3-4 it's the other way around and finding good 3-4 LBs is even tougher than finding good 4-3 DL. We had a good DL, with depth and an acceptable LB core, with depth. If we switch to the 3-4 we have NO sure thing at all 4 positions and not ONE above AVG starter as of now. It'd be a complete re-built and set us back another good 2-3 years AND waste the best part of the past 2-3 years. It'd be an incredibly stupid thing to do and with Banner being a lifelong 4-3 guy I just don't get it...that's why I'm looking Haslam's way for this totally unneccesary switch

N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

Chud grew up in OH as a Browns fan and has been on the Brown's staff twice (and they happened to have the 2 best years since '99). He is an offensive guy who will be looking to stretch the field and is rumored to be bringing along an experienced offensive coaching staff with him including Norv and Scott Turner.

He has alot of question marks too. How organized and detail-oriented will he be? How good will he be at gauging the locker room and doing what is needed there? How effective of a leader will he be at getting everyone on the same page and working hard to the goals he sets?

I want to see more (full coaching staff, etc.), but let's hope this one works.

Full disclosure: I prefer the 3-4. It's a better defense more easily adaptable to multiple situations and having the personnel on staff to run both the 3-4 and 4-3 when warranted.

However, switching the scheme is the last thing I wanted. There will be a transition period. Really want to see who he is getting on that side of the ball. He better have good veteran coaches (unlike when we went all veteran on defense and all inexperienced on offense under Shurmur). I hope that AZ does not hire Horton and noone hires Whisenhunt. I prefer Horton's style of attacking 3-4 to Romeo's more passive style though he would not be a bad hire as DC either. If AZ switches to a 4-3 defense, then we might have a good trade partner for some pieces too.

All that said, our DL remains intact (possibly shop Sheard or keep him to mix in some 4-3 schemes or see if he can be a 3-4 DE or OLB?). Our LBers suck anyway and this just forces us to go and shop for some guys (Alex Okafor bandwagon has some seats if you want a spot). DQ, Gocong, Robertson maybe, JMJ can be our ILB. We need OLBers now badly.

Of course, we still need a CB2 (especially if we get rid of Sheldon Brown, which seems likely under the regime change) and FS. That's 4 spots on defense that we need badly.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
dumb

although i dont even care anymore it still pains me to see this organization make idiotic moves like this.

N
Legend
Legend
N
good breakdown of position-by-position. Mine's slightly different:

it'll be rocky. always is (even guys that can do it have responsibility changes). let's go position by position:

NT: Rubin, Kitchen Sink
DE: Taylor, Hughes, Winn, maybe Rucker?

DL gone: Parker(who cares), Sheard (doubt he's a 3-4 DE)

**I put Taylor and Hughes at DE though they could play NT if needed. I did so because I like Kitchen and he's a good complement to keep Rubin fresh and keep Taylor/Hughes/Winn on the field as rotating DE.

ILB: DQ, JMJ, Gocong? Robertson?

OLB: Sheard? Gocong?

LB gone: Maiava, Fort, Carder

**I'm not sure Sheard can handle being a 3-4 OLB. I think he's on the trade block w/ the transition. We all remember Maiava in the 3-4. Fort and Carder are also likely to struggle there. Robertson should struggle as well, but I don't want to give him up (dime LBer at least?).

CB: Haden, Brown?, Patterson?, Skrine, Wade?
S: Ward, Gipson, Young? Hagg?

**Also, don't forget what likely happens here with the regime change. Goodbye Usama Young. Likely Patterson as well and possibly Hagg. I think we keep Gipson based on what he showed. Sheldon Brown is a big one though. He actually played okay last year, but he's the type of veteran that is usually let go and allowed to follow the regime to KC or whereever Heckert winds up. We'll see.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Patterson was cut end of last year for sandbagging.

Brown is a FA and probably won't be resigned (strictly my opinion, though I think he played great last year)

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/k

Wondering has Chud came out yet and said were going to the 3-4..or is all this just a bunch of speculation....

To me a good coach plays to the strenghts of the talent he has, to me he should look first at the talent we have and maybe make a judgement from that, he knows right now this minute we run a 4-3....if he goes & hires a 3-4 coach and trys to make our talent fit we end up with well.....The last 15 years....It's going to be intresting to see how he coachs the talent he has & the talent we will start getting.....

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned if were gonna trade for Cam Newton yet....or sign Panther players

Legend
Legend
I was about to ask a similar question, Clay... anybody have any links other than an unsourced tweet from MKC re: switching to the 3-4?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Patterson has already been cut

as to "who cares"? People act as if Rucker/Parker were bums, while Parker had to replaced anyway because of age, we're losing valuable resources here with a switch. Those guys combined for 10 sacks from one position, you don't replace that "just like that". We probably have to invest a top 10 pick to just get THAT back and haven't fixed anything else....in fact we ADD to the needs

I have to say, if Chud really is so fixated with the 3-4, then it was a bad hire. Someone compared him to Tomlin, as in being a longshot candidate, but aced the interview. Guess what, Tomlin kept the 3-4 and he came from the D side of the ball and was a Tampa 2 guy....Chud was an OC, leave the D the hell alone kid !!

I just don't get it...we would devalue our 2011 draft from good to horrible and set this D back another couple of years, just when these guys were about to be great playing healthy together, that's just stupid. This D held Roethli and the Steelers Offense to 4yds per play and we want to start from scratch?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I was about to ask a similar question, Clay... anybody have any links other than an unsourced tweet from MKC re: switching to the 3-4?

"The Browns are also likely to switch to a 3-4 defense, a source said, which means defensive coordinator Dick Jauron is probably gone. "

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/rob_chudzinski_cleveland_brown.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice hire!

NFL network credits Chud with building a system allowing Newton to be who he was rather than fitting him into a system of what he might be . Weedens issue if you ask me.

Like the Norv hire if it materializes. Fantastic O guy who like many just is NOT an HC.

Keep Jauron...

11am presser....NFL Network is showing it also.

Legend
Legend
That's just Mary Kay putting her tweet into an article. According to the article, her source is saying a switch to a 3-4. Then again, I'm pretty sure Mary Kay's articles yesterday said her source was saying we were down to Whisenhunt and Zimmer.

So...

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If she's wrong, I really hope she gets unloaded on. I am just so sick of her putting out so much crap.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Feed is up on clevelandbrowns.com of the presser - no one there yet, but feed is up and running...

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'd be okay with keeping Jauron, but I'm not gripping about the possibility of him being gone either. The team defense was ranked 23rd in Yards (25th in passing and 19th in rushing) and 19th in Points. It was a bottom 1/3 defense. I don't really care if they run a 5-2 Oklahoma D, if they win.

N
Legend
Legend
N
doh! i knew that on patterson and somehow left him on. anyways, i agree on Brown, just that he is a guy we likely "would" have had next season with Heckert and now he's likely gone (unless we convince him to stay).

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski

Link Copied to Clipboard