Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Every season is a process...

C
Legend
Legend
C
The most important thing is to get the right people in place, the pieces will fall into place from their.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

j/k

Quote:

Rob saying if he's comfortable with the Coordinator calling plays then they will... if he's not comfortable with the coordinator calling plays yet then he will.. could go either way.

I've always wondered....if your not comfortable with your OC to call plays...Why did you hire him than....if your not comfortable with the guy go get someone else.....who your comfortable with....it's your call...your staff...just heard that alot of times & made me wonder

Because he hopes it works out w Norv calling plays? And he's prepared to take that duty away if Norv starts doing a crappy job?

Legend
Legend
AHHHH!!!!! "Gut feeling"

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If Jauron gets canned, I will be very disappointed

then prepare to be disappointed. even if we keep the 4-3, then i'd guess we go hire a guy like Mel Tucker rather than keep Jauron.

Chud wants an attacking defense. Jauron's D is not that.

11th in the league in sacks? Without a single dominant pass rusher. I dunno about not attacking.

our defense was simply not an attack based defense. kudos to the DL for getting sacks, but we were not bringing pressure from multiple angles, getting the pocket moved around, and other things associated with an attacking defense.

Jauron has been successful without it, but if Chud wants an attacking style, then it is a fundamental shift and Jauron will not be retained IMO.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ytown,
The reason I was high on Arians was that he was able to come into a situation, stabilize the situation with the entire organization and basically run through the season as a head coach but develop a young QB. Plus he has done it before. I do not know what was said, offered or maybe Arians did not want to leave but I'm luke warm on Chud.

Legend
Legend
Q: what differentiated Chud from others?

Haslam: Chud very decisive and clear in what he wanted.

Q: what was most important part of Chud?

Haslam: very decisive. Many coordinators said they hate to go against Chud.

Q: why college coaches have a tough time in NFL?

Banner: key is who you surround yourself with.

Q: what did your "gut" tell you with Chud?

Haslam: we like Chud.

Q: how attack division?

Chud: tough division. Building good culture, build our identity.

*edit* starting to lose feed

Last edited by brownsfansince79; 01/11/13 12:42 PM.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
yeah I lost my feed as well...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree on Arians, and those are some of the very reasons I liked him.

Any other assistant coach is going to be more of a projection. Arians had the "advantage" of having his team run into massive chaos that thrust him into that leadership role.

Listening to Banner and Haslam talk about interviewing Chud, and how he was prepared with what he wants to do, who he wants to hire, how he'll put his program together, and so on tells me that he was ready to take that next step.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

yeah I lost my feed as well...

Same.

This never happened under Lerner!

All Pro
All Pro
So what, exactly, did he say about the defense? My video was so choppy it was unintelligible. We'll all be reading between the lines, no doubt, but I'm wondering where he thinks we are now.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
C
Legend
Legend
C
In summary, he said we won't talk about personnel until his staff evaluates it and that he wants an attacking style defense.

Legend
Legend
Just clicking

Not that this is new when a new coach is introduced, but he's saying all the right things but the emotion in his eyes and voice and body language is a bit more real feeling.. FWIW

On D, he didn't commit 3-4 or 4-3.. he talked more about things being a mixture or I think he used the word Hybrid.. something like that

Haslam is saying the right things also. He said that 11 days ago, they outlined the type of person they wanted then set out to find that person. They feel they did.

I don't get the feeling that anyone on the current staff is safe.. They keep referring to building a staff etc etc..

He made mention of already talking to some potential coaches last night then today again.

So, I guess we'll see in the next few days who's coming

Haslam mentioned that Rob will be involved in the GM/Player Personnel guy. So instead of just Joe and Jimmy, it will include Rob.

Tell you what (and I don't it don't mean diddly) But I got a good vibe from this presser.

I guess we'll see.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm glad this phase is over.
It'll be interesting to see his staff develop.

Wonder what length of contract is? He's going to get the time he needs you can count on that!

Amazed at how boyish he was and how he bristled at his old Browns memories!
I know Jummy said his coonection didnt matter but I think to us guys who've followed the team forever dig it!

I'm satisfied. Let's see what he brings.

All the perpetually aggravated Browns fans who delight in wallowing in their misery can blast away at his hiring. If you dont like him I'm betting youll be miserable for at least the next five years...

Go Browns!

O
Legend
Legend
O
While I enjoyed the success/progress of our defense this year, I wasn't as enamored with Jauron as most on here were. I think the success his defense enjoyed was more the product of the young talent Heckert brought in and given a little time (2 whole seasons) to gel together. I said it before, I'll say it again, the progress the defense made this year is because of the draft a couple seasons ago (Taylor, Sheard, etc).

I know Rob Ryan is a loony toon, but I would not mind in the least bringing him back in, given the assumption that we get a half decent GM in here that has proven he can draft well for the 3-4. Ryan did a remarkable job with a pretty bare cupboard, in terms of talent.

What I'm trying to say is that I won't shed a tear of Jauron gets the axe. The guy did a respectable job, but I won't miss his and Shurmer's prevent defenses losing games in the 4th quarter.

Please, Banner, get a 4-3 guy, though. The defensive talent is good and young, but won't survive a total scheme change.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Jauron is a goner. His defense was anything but attacking. Any where Jauron has been,his defenses exactly don't have a identity of being attacking and in your face.
Its a safe bet to say that Chudzinski will around longer than Shurmur.
I give him 3 years at the least.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I guess that is the part that of course I wish we could take out
Quote:

Any other assistant coach is going to be more of a projection.

Listening to the interview, yea Chud sounds like he is ready to go to the next level and depending on who he gets as assistants will make a difference. But now he also has to evaluate talent and work with Banner(another Unkown as far as picks) to hopefuly put together a team. .. Just alot of unknowns again for the Browns.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Steve Hagen, our current tight ends coach, was the QB coach when Chudzinski was in Cleveland in 2004. He is the only guy that has worked with Chud on the Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Steve Hagen, our current tight ends coach, was the QB coach when Chudzinski was in Cleveland in 2004. He is the only guy that has worked with Chud on the Browns.

I'm betting the TE's will get more work in 2013 under Chuds O.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I know Rob Ryan is a loony toon, but I would not mind in the least bringing him back in, given the assumption that we get a half decent GM in here that has proven he can draft well for the 3-4. Ryan did a remarkable job with a pretty bare cupboard, in terms of talent.

Under Rob Ryan our defense finished 31st and 22nd.

Here are the rankings of Rob Ryan coordinated defenses in terms of yards allowed:

Rob Ryan is the definition of all hype no substance.

N
Legend
Legend
N
just a note of RBs under Chud since I have seen some notes that he ignored his RBs in Carolina:

Carolina under Chud:

9th ranked rushing attack in 2012 by yds (8th by YPC)
3rd ranked rushing attack in 2011 by yds (3rd by YPC)

Yes, Cam accounts for some of that, but he used the weapons he had. Also, in 2007, he helped Jamal Lewis have a renaissance year. Chud doesn't ignore the run (nor does Norv, he has an impressive slate of RBs under his watch).

2011 Deangelo+Stewart = 1597 rushing yds (5.4YPC)
63rec 548yds
12 TDs

2012 Deangelo+Stewart = 1073 rushing yds (4.1YPC)
30rec 344yds
9 TDs

**note** Stewart injured or playing hurt much of 2012. in his place, Tolbert added:
183yds rushing on 3.4 YPC
27rec 268yds
7 TDs

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
anything on Tuckers Panther D?

O
Legend
Legend
O
And we were trotting David Bowens and Eric Barton out there.

Like I said, bare cupboard.

All this conversation is moot, however, if the Browns do the smart thing and stick with the 4-3. :-)

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm glad this phase is over.
It'll be interesting to see his staff develop.

Wonder what length of contract is? He's going to get the time he needs you can count on that!

Amazed at how boyish he was and how he bristled at his old Browns memories!
I know Jummy said his coonection didnt matter but I think to us guys who've followed the team forever dig it!

I'm satisfied. Let's see what he brings.

All the perpetually aggravated Browns fans who delight in wallowing in their misery can blast away at his hiring. If you dont like him I'm betting youll be miserable for at least the next five years...

Go Browns!

5 year deal worth $3 million annually.

Rob Chudzinski, Cleveland Browns' new head coach, won't need lessons on team's storied tradition | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...art_maj-story-1

He received what's believed to be a five-year deal in the $3 million-plus a year range.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

anything on Tuckers Panther D?

Tucker is the DC and asst. HC in Jacksonville (not Carolina). We cannot even interview him unless he is released or JAX grants us permission.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good!

We've talked consistency and what not for years but never had the belly to stick it out. This WILL be different.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

Since we all love to throw out names for possible assistants, I'm going throw one out for DC - if we switch to the 3/4: Kevin Greene. He was a dominating pass rusher for several teams and has done a super job with the LBs in Green Bay. This is his 4th year as LBs coach, so I don't know if experience would be a detriment, but he definitely fits the attacking mentality that Chud mentioned.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Legend
Legend
C
I believe Jacksonville has given all of their assistants permission to seek new jobs as Mularkey was fired.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cant get more high strung than Greene! I love emotional, animated coaches!

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Cant get more high strung than Greene! I love emotional, animated coaches!

I do up to a point. With him it seems more legit than with a buffoon like Ryan.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Grossi at it already

Quote:

By Tony Grossi

A search that began with lofty hopes of big-namers Nick Saban or Chip Kelly has concluded with two-time Browns assistant coach Rob Chudzinski as the first head coach of the Jimmy Haslam-Joe Banner era.

Chudzinski, a boyhood Browns fan growing up in Toledo, reached a deal Thursday night and will be introduced Friday morning as the club’s sixth full-time head coach in the expansion era since 1999.

Chudzinski, 44, fits the mold of young, offensive-minded NFL assistant that Banner struck when Andy Reid was a surprise choice as Philadelphia Eagles head coach 14 years ago.

The difference is that Chudzinski is not an unknown to Browns fans as Reid was to Eagles fans 14 years ago. He served as an assistant coach under two of the five head coaches who proceeded him.

Butch Davis brought him over from University of Miami as tight ends coach in 2004. After Davis resigned/was fired during that season, Chudzinski joined Norv Turner in San Diego.

Two years later, Browns GM Phil Savage hired Chudzinski as Romeo Crennel’s offensive coordinator. When the Savage era was blown up following a disappointing 2008 season, Chudzinski returned to San Diego as Turner’s assistant head coach.

That association apparently will be renewed in Cleveland. Multiple reports Thursday night said Turner, who was fired as San Diego head coach, will be Chudzinski’s offensive coordinator with the Browns.

For the past two years, Chudzinski was quarterback Cam Newton’s offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers. Chud’s work with Newton – developing him while adjusting to his unique skill set -- secured his reputation as one of the league’s brightest offensive coordinators.

Chudzinski’s star really rose in the 2007 season, when he parlayed Derek Anderson’s big arm into a high-wire pass offense with Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. The Browns scored 402 points and amassed 5,621 yards of offense – third-best in both categories in franchise history.

The Browns went 10-6, missing the AFC playoffs on tiebreakers. It was the only season in the younger Lerner’s 10-year stewardship in which the Browns did not lose 10 or more games.

Lerner rewarded his top men with big contract extensions. Chudzinski, Anderson, Crennel and Savage all received new deals, but Chudzinski was given the longest of all of them – four years. They did it to stave off a request by the Baltimore Ravens to interview Chudzinski for their vacancy at head coach.

When the 2008 season crashed to a more-familiar 4-12, Lerner blew up the whole Savage regime. Chudzinski actually was getting paid by the Browns through the 2011 season – minus what he was paid by his other teams.

Chudzinski will outline his plans on defense at Friday morning’s press conference. It has been speculated that he will return the Browns to a 3-4 defensive system. An immediate contender to head the defense is Mel Tucker, who filled that role alongside Chudzinski under Crennel.

The Browns interviewed eight known candidates for the job to succeed Pat Shurmur. Chronologically, they were: Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, former Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt, Penn State coach Bill O’Brien, Oregon coach Chip Kelly, former Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman and Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

This line tells it all

Quote:

A search that began with lofty hopes of big-namers Nick Saban or Chip Kelly has concluded with two-time Browns assistant coach Rob Chudzinski as the first head coach of the Jimmy Haslam-Joe Banner era.

Neither Haslam or Banner made mention on December 31 of Saban or Chip Kelly.. That was 100% media speculation. (and to a point fan speculation fueled by Media speculation)

But Grossi makes it sound as if Haslam shot high and missed and settled for Chud,.

Now I don't know if Chud will take us where we want to be or not. Nobody knows. But gees, Tony,, make some more stuff up with ya.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=10681

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Tony Grossi, King Troll

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I pray we stay 4-3.

DITTO!

Even if they fire Jauron, I'd prefer we stay 4-3.

Although, the Packers were able to switch to it practically overnight a few years back...

Forget it, he just all but said it'll be a 3-4....

I think you heard what you wanted to hear... i didn't hear that at all...

Do I really have to spell this out? Jesus... he talked about "hybrid"...the only scheme playing "hybrid" are 3-4 base schemes....4-3 teams run next to no hybrids

Seattle runs a hybrid 4-3; one of their DE's that starts is 335 lbs.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

After watching that presser, I'm absolutely stoked for this guy to be the coach!!

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
He's just ticked because his "sources" didn't think of this one first!

-Derek Jeter
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Tony Grossi, King Troll

Our writers are just the type I'm talking about when I say "perpetually unhappy, satisfied in their misery, Browns fans."

If we'd win it all they'd complain about the game plan!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Tony Grossi, King Troll

Our writers are just the type I'm talking about when I say "perpetually unhappy, satisfied in their misery, Browns fans."

If we'd win it all they'd complain about the game plan!

Oh Hell, people on here would do the same thing LOL

kendallstorm would say we won in spite of ourselves

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm just waiting for the tweet about Haslam being an irrelevant billionaire.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
really?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Seattle runs a hybrid 4-3;

Correct. Here's a link to about the best explanation I've seen of it...

http://www.seahawks101.com/2012/02/28/seattle-seahawks-breaking-down-pete-carrolls-hybrid-defense/

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Rob Chudzinski

Link Copied to Clipboard