A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pat Shurmur expected to join Chip Kelly’s staff in Philadelphia

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2013, 10:45 AM EST

Getty Images
Former Browns head coach Pat Shurmur is expected to join new Eagles head coach Chip Kelly’s coaching staff.

Shurmur is likely to become the Eagles’ offensive coordinator, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Shurmur and Kelly have very different offensive backgrounds, and questions could be raised about whether their two approaches to coaching offense can mesh. But it’s also to Kelly’s credit that he wants to bring in an experienced NFL coach who does things differently than he does. Kelly has said that he wouldn’t necessarily run the same kind of spread offense in the NFL that he ran at Oregon, and hiring Shurmur as offensive coordinator would be a strong indication that he wants to employ a more conventional approach in the pros.

Most of Shurmur’s NFL coaching career has been spent working for Andy Reid in Philadelphia. Shurmur was the Eagles’ tight ends coach from 1999 to 2001 and the quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Getty Images
Former Browns head coach Pat Shurmur is expected to join new Eagles head coach Chip Kelly’s coaching staff.

Shurmur is likely to become the Eagles’ offensive coordinator, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Shurmur and Kelly have very different offensive backgrounds, and questions could be raised about whether their two approaches to coaching offense can mesh. But it’s also to Kelly’s credit that he wants to bring in an experienced NFL coach who does things differently than he does. Kelly has said that he wouldn’t necessarily run the same kind of spread offense in the NFL that he ran at Oregon, and hiring Shurmur as offensive coordinator would be a strong indication that he wants to employ a more conventional approach in the pros.

Most of Shurmur’s NFL coaching career has been spent working for Andy Reid in Philadelphia. Shurmur was the Eagles’ tight ends coach from 1999 to 2001 and the quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2008.

Is it me, or does that just seem like a match waiting to fail? wow

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

Quote:

Getty Images

Is it me, or does that just seem like a match waiting to fail? wow

I think just the opposite. I think this could be great for both of them. Shurmer gets to learn the spread from Kelly. Much like other coaches who sought him out to learn when he was in college.

Kelly on the other hand gets a guy who is familiar with the NFL and what has worked for him in the past. He also gets to work with a guy who can show him the ins and out of the WCO.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
And while Chip wants to run a play every 13 seconds Shurmer struggled to get a play in in under 30 seconds. Should be a comedy of errors.

[Linked Image]
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

And while Chip wants to run a play every 13 seconds Shurmer struggled to get a play in in under 30 seconds. Should be a comedy of errors.

Pretty sure the plan is for Kelly to call the plays, Shurmur gives him an experienced coach to fill the OC role.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Darn. If we hired Chip Kelly we could've landed Pat Shurmer to lead our offense!

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm glad Pat got a job, he did have his heart set on winning this season.

One of my first thoughts were, This is why Kelly didn't get the job here, he told J&J who he wanted for the OC

Could you just imagine...Kelly gets the HC here and then hires Pat for the OC job..

Legend
Legend
Thanks Portland and yoshi for pointing out the hilarity.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Darn. If we hired Chip Kelly we could've landed Pat Shurmer to lead our offense!

You forgot to make it purple.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The Saints have announced that Payton fired defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and secondary coach Ken Flajole, and that Payton wants to shift to a 3-4 defense.

“I personally want to thank Steve and Ken for their contributions during what was an unprecedented 2012 season,” Payton said in a statement released by the team. “Philosophically we are changing our defense to a 3-4 alignment and right now is the best time to accomplish this transition.”

Link

Talk about a team that is going to have to rebuild the entire defense.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Didn't we get Fujita and U. Young from them?

They must be picked clean......

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The Saints have announced that Payton fired defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and secondary coach Ken Flajole, and that Payton wants to shift to a 3-4 defense.

“I personally want to thank Steve and Ken for their contributions during what was an unprecedented 2012 season,” Payton said in a statement released by the team. “Philosophically we are changing our defense to a 3-4 alignment and right now is the best time to accomplish this transition.”

Link

Talk about a team that is going to have to rebuild the entire defense.

They didn't have diddly squat on defense anyways. Look how many points they gave up last year.

Legend
Legend
Reports: Saints looking at Crennel, Mangini for assistant positions - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on...stant-positions

A day after reinstated Saints coach Sean Payton fired defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, the Times-Picayune's Larry Holder reports New Orleans has reached out to former Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel to possibly fill the new vacancy.

The move could be a good one. Though Crennel has been a disaster in his two head coaching jobs in Cleveland and Kansas City, he's had success as a defensive coordinator, particularly with the Patriots from 2001-04.

There was an ESPN report saying the Saints could also be looking at former Jets and Browns coach Eric Mangini for their defensive staff. Crennel and Mangini worked on some of those same Patriots staffs and actually could reunite in New Orleans.

"I think we're going to have to look closely at our personnel and how we used them," Payton said earlier this week at the Senior Bowl. "Most importantly, are we asking the players to do what they do best? ... To answer your question specifically on defense, that's the one thing that keeps me up at night right now.”

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Now THAT would be a tear down. Anyone else remember what happened to Vilma when Mangini ended up in New York? He is NOT meant for a 3-4. Neither is Will Smith and probably not Jordan Cameron. Spags was a great DC in New York given no time to work with what was a very dysfunctional Saints team last year. I think Payton gaffes with that move.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I didn't set a timer, but it seems like it has been a bit longer than five minutes.

Quote:

The Rams announced on Twitter Tuesday that Ryan would not be the team’s defensive coordinator in 2013. Ryan was reported to be their choice in early January, something both sides denied, and again last week in a choice that seemed to have more reality behind it. According to the Rams, though, continued discussions with Ryan revealed differences that couldn’t be bridged.

“After extensive conversations regarding defensive philosophy, the Rams and Rob Ryan agreed he was not the right fit for the DC position. The Rams will conitnue the interview process with the club’s other candidates for the defensive coordinator position.”

Ryan ran 3-4 schemes in Dallas and Cleveland while the Rams ran a 4-3 front last season. Whether or not that was the sticking point that made it impossible for the team to move forward with the hire is unclear, but it seems like the likeliest point of conflict. All the focus of their search has focused on Ryan, so we’ll have to see where the Rams go from here.

Link

We need an inside linebackers coach. . . I'm just saying.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We need an inside linebackers coach. . . I'm just saying.

Well he did do a great job with Willie McGinest and Teddy Bruschi. As far as the Rams go... I wonder if Spags and Jauron will be targets of theirs.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Report: Eagles hire Browns' assistant Billy Davis as defensive coordinator
By Evan Hilbert | CBSSports.com
February 7, 2013 11:31 am ET The Philadelphia Eagles and Chip Kelly have found their defensive coordinator -- Billy Davis, according to Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com.

Davis, who was the Cleveland Browns' linebackers coach the past two seasons, met with Kelly late last month. His position with the Browns was precarious after Cleveland fired coach Pat Shurmur in favor of Rod Chudzinski. Shurmur is expected to be named Philadelphia's new offensive coordinator.

Before his time in Cleveland, Davis was the defensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers for two seasons from 2005-06, and he later held the same position for the Arizona Cardinals in 2009 and 2010. Davis also has spent time holding various posts with the Steelers, Panthers, Packers, Falcons and Giants.

Kelly and the Eagles are rumored to be shifting from a 4-3 defensive scheme to a 3-4, which is in line with Davis' experience.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-ra...ive-coordinator

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Kelly and the Eagles are rumored to be shifting from a 4-3 defensive scheme to a 3-4, which is in line with Davis' experience.

Crap. There's another potential landing spot for Moore and Jones.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Crap. There's another potential landing spot for Moore and Jones.

not to mention Spencer and the other UFA 3-4 OLBers

#gmstrong
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Report: Eagles hire Browns' assistant Billy Davis as defensive coordinator

so, Chip Kelly hired Pat Shurmur for OC and Billy Davis for DC

are Eagles fans going to be excited to be bringing the 2012 Cleveland Browns coaching staff?

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the 2013 Philadelphia Beagles

Last edited by no_logo_required; 02/07/13 04:48 PM.

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Am I the only one confused by just about everything the Eagles are doing? Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about Davis. I don't remember AZ or SF having a top flight Def. until very recently.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, you are not the only one confused. It's almost like they are drawing names out of a hat.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

No, you are not the only one confused. It's almost like they are drawing names out of a hat.

Kelly is going to be great or a major bust. I really don't think there is a lick of middle ground. with him.

Shurmur might be a better OC then he was an HC. He did fairly well with St. Louis and I think he really helped Bradford.

Don't know a damn thing about the DC they hired..

In terms of coaching staffs, on paper at least, I'll take ours 100 times out of 100.

I predict that Kelly will be back in college ball in 2 years.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
From what I saw of Shurmur when he was here. It would seem that his style of offense and coaching is the exact opposite of Chip Kelley. But everything from the Chip Kelley hiring circus until now doesn't seem to have any consistency.

Legend
Legend
Well, it appears that the Eagles have finally rounded out their staff. I only bring this up because I thought it was odd that we had filled out our staff and they had only 4 guys (including Kelly) My guess was correct, they've been hiring, they just didn't post it. Shurmur is there as OC alright..

I'm going to be watching this very closely.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Pat Shurmur (offensive coordinator)
Bill Davis (defensive coordinator)
Dave Fipp (special teams coordinator)
Greg Austin (assistant offensive line)
Jerry Azzinaro (defensive line/assistant head coach)
Bob Bicknell (wide receivers)
Erik Chinander (assistant defensive line)
Mike Dawson (defensive quality control)
Matt Harper (assistant special teams)
Josh Hingst (strength and conditioning)
Shaun Huls (sports science coordinator)
Bill Lazor (quarterbacks)
John Lovett (defensive backs)
Todd Lyght (assistant defensive backs)
Bill McGovern (outside linebackers)
Rick Minter (inside linebackers)
Justin Peelle (assistant tight ends)
Duce Staley (running backs)
Jeff Stoutland (offensive line)
Press Taylor (offensive quality control)
Ted Williams (tight ends)

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=8985657

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Wow, I had no idea that Duce Staley had gone into coaching.

Evidently he was the special teams quality control coach last year for the Eagles.

Another name of some interest is Todd Lyght ..... a really good DB for the Rams who retired about a decade ago ..... who I also had no idea was coaching.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
and Ted Williams must have found his head,

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Rob Ryan to the Saints.

Saints hire Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on...ive-coordinator

A day after University of Georgia assistant Todd Grantham withdrew his name from the Saints' coaching search, it seemed obvious the team's only move going forward in its search for a new defensive coordinator was to hire recently-fired Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

On Saturday, the Saints announced that's exactly what they've done. NOLA.com's Larry Holder was the first to report the news.

The Saints interviewed Ryan on Friday, a day after talking to Grantham. Coach Sean Payton had talked about interviewing another candidate next week, but that won't happen.

"We have experience in preparing and playing against his defenses, and they've always been challenging in terms of the different looks and pressures that they feature," Payton said in a statement. "We've had the chance to visit with each other and talk about our visions for our team, and I'm excited about moving forward as we prepare for the 2013 season."

Said Ryan: “I am excited and thrilled to be joining the New Orleans Saints. I have had the opportunity to get to know Sean Payton and his staff a bit better recently, and I am excited about joining the team. I have a ton of respect for Mr. Benson, Mickey [Loomis] and the organization, and I'm ready to get to work on all facets of the game. This is a great opportunity, and we're getting started right away.”

Ryan replaces the fired Steve Spagnuolo -- who, in his only season leading the New Orleans defense, watched as the team allowed more total yards than any other squad in league history (an average of 440.1 yards per game).

But Ryan's defenses in Dallas weren't that great, either. The Cowboys finished 19th in the league in total yards allowed in 2012 and 14th in 2011. In fact, the only time that Ryan has led his defense to a top-10 finish was 2006, when the Raiders were No. 3.

After he was fired in Dallas, Ryan nearly landed the Rams' defensive coordinator job, but ultimately, he wasn't selected.

After he was fired, Ryan said he could take solace in knowing that he did “a hell of a job” in Dallas. He also said that it would take him "like five minutes" to find a new job. Well, that was more than a month ago. But, hey, predicting the future is a tough racket, probably even tougher than trying to turn the Saints' defense from the worst in the league into something more palatable for Payton.

Legend
Legend
Glad he got a job but that was a long 5 minutes.

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
IMO, he is an overrated blowhard. Many act as if he was great here, but the defense was just as bad as always. Many thought we should keep him, but Dallas chose to fire him too. Did he also get fired from the Raiders?

His defenses leave the middle of the field wide open, a TEs dream.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Wow, I had no idea that Duce Staley had gone into coaching.

Evidently he was the special teams quality control coach last year for the Eagles.

Another name of some interest is Todd Lyght ..... a really good DB for the Rams who retired about a decade ago ..... who I also had no idea was coaching.

Chip Kelley gave Todd Lyght his big break in coaching. Kelley hired Lyght as a defensive assistant at Oregon. It's no surprise Kelley is bringing those he has ties with to Philly.

Legend
Legend
How about a "Sports Science Coordinator", using US Navy SEAL's training?

Chip Kelly's Eagles staff includes sports science coordinator - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-ra...nce-coordinator

Former Oregon coach Chip Kelly brought some interesting innovations to the college game, now he's bringing it to the pros, and he's starting with his coaching staff.

Among the 22 assistants officially named to Kelly's coaching staff on Friday was Shaun Huls, who will serve as the Eagles' sports science coordinator. Huls will lead an alternative training program for the team, according to USA Today. The Eagles are believed to be the first NFL team to officially employ a sports science coordinator.

Huls was a coordinator in his prior job, but it was a slightly different kind of coordinator. Before joining Philadelphia's staff, Huls was the strength, conditioning and "combatives" coordinator for Navy Special Warfare. Huls job with the Navy included training Navy SEALs, according to USA Today.

Huls will get his first crack on working with Eagles' players in April when the team's voluntary offseason program begins.

For Kelly, it won't be the first time he's brought Navy SEAL-type training to his football team. While at Oregon in 2011, Kelly put his team through a program called "Judgment Day" that was led by a former SEALs trainer.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Other Team Coaching Hires

Link Copied to Clipboard