Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Haden is not a lockdown CB.Thats the biggest myth on the Browns roster.
He allowed Plaxico Burress,all 35 years of him, to score a TD.

A.J Green smoked him numerous times this year.
so from young to over the hill,Haden has been picked on this year.

IMO,he doesn't come up with enough INTs or big plays for a CB taken in the top 10.
42 career games, 9 INTs and ZERO TDS.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Consider this:

They said they'd hire a STRONG HC or STRONG GM...well, I love Chud, but he's not a STRONG HC, absolute NOOB regarding College scouting...so I was waiting for that STRONG FO guy....but I already knew the answer but you guys wouldn't listen. The STRONG FO guy is the ratface Banner sees when he looks in the mirror...this guy thinks he's the real deal and has to show it to the entire NFL. Now he hires his buddy with a bad track record as a puppet. Make no mistakes about this..."consensus" my "you know what". He will be picking players, FAs...everything. If it works, he's the boss and let everyone know...if not, he'll fire Lombardi, which will be easy to do since nobody likes him. Clever ratface, isn't he?

God, is Haslam stupid or what?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

No quarterback, no offensive line spells trouble for the Cardinals as they try to compete in the NFC West. Hard to believe Arizona can match up, personnel-wise, with the dominant defenses of the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers.

I like this Lions team, but feel it will be hard for it to duplicate last season's success. Like the Falcons, Detroit might be a better team with a worse record.

I know the Saints are still the best team in the NFC South and fully expect them to battle for home-field advantage, but the absence of suspended head coach Sean Payton will affect them at some point during the long NFL season.

I know the preseason really doesn't mean anything, and I also know Rex Ryan thinks this is his best team yet, but the Jets lack talent on offense -- Where are the playmakers? -- and it's hard to expect the defense to carry them to eight-plus wins by itself.

Link

I remember someone loving Blaine Gabbert...

From Lombardi:

Quote:

Now for the bad. In my 20-plus years in the NFL, I don't think I have seen a high first-round pick look as scared or as out of place as Blaine Gabbert. The game looks entirely too big for him. When the ball is in his hand, he treats it like a hot potato. His play was embarrassing, considering he was a top 10 pick. I believed Gabbert was a good prospect and wrote about it leading up to the draft. When everyone was concerned about his down-field throws, I thought he would be able to adjust. But never did I think his eye level would be this low, his unwillingness to hang in the pocket this bad. I readily admit my mistake. Now the Jags need to do the same. The longer they play him, they run the risk of losing the team. How can they expect the players around him to buy in? Gabbert cannot fool his teammates. If he continues to play like this, no one will want to play with him.

Now, I understand it is really early in Gabbert's career, and the Jags have a pedestrian offense and no receivers around him. But his play borders on that of an undrafted free agent. Organizations that are the most successful are the ones that ignore draft status and evaluate the players on how they play. I realize the Jags have a significant investment in Gabbert, but they have a bigger one in winning games.

Link

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

IMO,he doesn't come up with enough INTs or big plays for a CB taken in the top 10.

Kendall Storm, trolling us all.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The same Lombardi who was a Gabbert fan pre-draft?

Keep trashing me on Gabbert, I can take it, but still have a better track record than this clown...you know your team is in trouble whan an armchair GM can confidently say he'd do (and would have done) better than the new puppet GM

O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Kendall, I don't get on board with all the bashing that people do to you and your posting style. I think it's taken on a life of it's own. Having said that, Haden has proven to be a very good corner, and you're way off the mark on him. The truth is there was only one guy in this league who could even remotely be called a "shutdown corner" and he's currently rehabbing a blown-out knee in New Jersey.

Haden is one of the better corners in the league, and gives us more than his fair-share of value. His selection was a big win for the Browns.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I can take it, but still have a better track record than this clown...you know your team is in trouble whan an armchair GM can confidently say he'd do (and would have done) better than the new puppet GM

And you talk about Banner's ego?

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Quote:

Do you actually watch football or do you just stare at the stats on ESPiN?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'm not disputing that, but what I'm debating is if Earl Thomas would have been an even bigger win. Having him at FS would only boost the play of Ward and allow him to roam more freely around the LOS. Those two would've give us the best safety tandem in the league going forward.

Like I prefaced, though, hindsight is 20/20.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Look man, people poke too many holes in other peoples story when they say "Hindsight is 20/20." Chripes, that's the only real way to judge things accurately, so you've no need to even say that.

Earl Thomas would have been a win, but if we went that route, then we'd have another hole opposite of Sheldon Brown.

You saw what happened when we started the duo of Buster Skrine and Sheldon Brown.

History and NFL evaluators will tell you a corner is more important than a safety. I'd go so far as to suggest a solid corner is better than a pro-bowl free safety. I can't predict what would have happened had we drafted Thomas instead of Haden, but I do shudder to think of how bad our pass-defense would have been long-term without Haden.

Now if you'd have guaranteed me that we could have a solid corner while still getting Thomas, well, then I'm on-board

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I did consider that to a point... It was a flash back to the Collins & Savage conflict. At that point I had to shake my head and tell myself this won't happen again. ( Hopefully )

Haslam ? I really hope not ..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I can take it, but still have a better track record than this clown...you know your team is in trouble whan an armchair GM can confidently say he'd do (and would have done) better than the new puppet GM

And you talk about Banner's ego?

I actually forgot to mention that I have a far better track record than most on here, but that's a given Yeah, I have an ego too, but if I was Banner I would have not hired Lombardi, that I'm sure of and that already makes me more qualified...I win

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I think Haden is good. I'm just not gaga over him.

I think Richard Sherman is a better CB. Sherman is approaching lock down status.

Yeah your right,shutdown CBs are a rare commodity these days.

There are no more Mike Haynes, Rod Woodson's,Aaneas Williams around anymore.

But if I draft a CB in the Top 10,he better be able to be "special"

Haden doesn't even return punts.

What I see with Haden is that he loses focus late in games.

I wonder how often he actually studies WRs.

2012 was a down year for Haden.

Any scrub can produce 3 INTs. Heck Usama Young had that many and Robertson had 2.

In a league thats hell bent on throwing the ball,your CBs better be able to defense passes and come up with INTS.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lombardi helped the Browns to Baltimore, I guess now that LA needs a team......

Seriously, I am just blown away that Haslam would allow Banner to take a dump all over the Browns and the Browns fanbase like this. You replace Heckert with Joe Fffing banner.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Kendall Storm once opened a thread trashing Joe Thomas. Would you all please stop feeding this clown?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Oh I do more than watch football.

If Joe Haden played for the Cardinals or Colts,he would be considered average
around here.

like I said, Haden isn't exactly a big play CB.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Keep trashing me on Gabbert, I can take it, but still have a better track record than this clown

...and Watkins. and Jordan. and Weeden (in WCO... I think he should do better in Chud's offense.) and Moch.

I forget... who were the folks who wanted us to take Everrette Brown in the first round?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
wow Django,your in a bossy mood today. I thought name calling was a no no.

maybe your special.

I'm sorry I don't see everything through brown colored glasses.

BTW,I would have drafted Peterson over Thomas.

Take Joe Thomas away from the Browns they are still a 5 win team.

Take AP away from the Vikings,they are a 5 win team

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Keep trashing me on Gabbert, I can take it, but still have a better track record than this clown

...and Watkins. and Jordan. and Weeden (in WCO... I think he should do better in Chud's offense.) and Moch.

I forget... who were the folks who wanted us to take Everrette Brown in the first round?

E.Brown was eotab, had an epic debate on this because I took C.Barwin in my mock at 17 overall. Who's laughing now? lol

Jordan and Weeden are busts? That's news to me...Jordan had a pretty strong 2nd year with 8 sacks and 3 FFs and any rook QB with a rook season north of 70 QBr gets a 2nd look with me and every other NFL team (we just hired this clown Lombardi, so I'm not sure we'll ever find out). Watkins I took in round 2 in my mock, so while a bust, he wasn't my top pick...and still has time left to redeem himself. He was starting to play better before his injury, but yeah for a G picked that high, it's disappointing

I can give you all my mocks if you want, feel pretty good about them overall and have many 3rd day gems on them. I was also screaming for Rubin since round 3 of that draft we picked him, just saying. I'm far from hitting 1.000, but no one is...at least I put my stuff out during the process and pre-draft and so do you, that's why I respect your stuff....not hindsighting it like Kendall or even Toad at times (and 98% of this board)

Legend
Legend
in the presser, which is now posted on the main site, Joe Banner passes Lombardi a note when he's asked about how he reconciles being the boss of players he's publicly trashed (namely Gordon and Weeden)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

in the presser, which is now posted on the main site, Joe Banner passes Lombardi a note when he's asked about how he reconciles being the boss of players he's publicly trashed (namely Gordon and Weeden)

Really? Hilarious

Puppet-GM from the get go

WHO IS THE BOSS???

Can#t wait for the transcript for my new signature....the "patting on ourselves back for a player, who turned out to be good and we liked that no one else liked" was an instant for me and pretty much emblematic for these dolts

C
Legend
Legend
C
For all we know the note said, "Mary Kay is looking mighty fine today."

The speculation that is going on right now is insane.

Jimmy Haslam had a blue suit on. The ocean is blue. Los Angeles is near the ocean. WE ARE MOVING THE TEAM TO LOS ANGELES!

Legend
Legend
yeah, the question starts about 1:25 of part II and he passes the note at 1:35.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

so we won't "technically" have a GM?

nvm.. i see he's the GM now.

the thing is this... Chud will have a say in who we draft.. as well as Haslam/Banner... Our selections will be a "team" pick... not just based on what Lombardi wants

God I hope so, however, part of me is thinking that this type of "pick by committee" has disaster written all over it. I think we stand a better chance giving Chud complete control then to involve Lombardi, Banner, and Haslam in draft picks.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I am officially in "win now" mode.

I was patient with Shurmur and thought he deserved another year because, even though he had a losing record, the team was very competitive this year as opposed to last.

You can win in spite of bad coaching in this league if you have talent, which we were building at a pretty good rate.

I really think that we aren't going to be getting any more talented than this, so this is what Chud, Norv, and whoever the DC is going to be have to work with, which I think is a shame because I think they will be a pretty good coaching staff.

If we win next year and make the playoffs my long term prediction is going to look really familiar to Norv, because he just came from it. Like San Diego, we will slowly decline in talent until we can no longer make the playoffs.

Win. Now.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Respect

Haslem just lost a great deal of respect and status as an authority over this move.

Bad form Jimmy.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
Legend
Legend
Lombardi Article Post draft this year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82...ate-draft-picks

Oscar Wilde once said, "What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

This applies perfectly to the NFL draft. There's no need to be cynical when assessing how teams drafted. Some teams did great, some did decently and others need to be judged over time. No one be said to have done poorly yet; determining that takes more than 24 hours.

However, I do know the value of finding championship-caliber starting players, and the 2012 NFL Draft was full of 'em. In trying to determine the best value picks, I have excluded the first round, because the price of picking there makes it impossible to get a bargain. There are no discount stores on Rodeo Drive.

So here are my top 12 value picks in the 2012 NFL Draft:

1. Jeff Allen, OT/OG, Kansas City (44th pick overall). The ex-Illinois grinder can play multiple positions along the offensive line. He is tough, smart and will be a starter soon. I liked him as a LT only, didn't think he was strong enough for OG. Started but struggled at LG for the Chiefs

2. Mike Adams, OT, Pittsburgh (56th). Besides Matt Kalil, Adams was the best left tackle prospect in the draft. The Ohio State Buckeye's off-field issues caused concern for many teams, but Pittsburgh seems to think it can work through these problems. And when the Steelers do, they will have a quality left tackle for an incredible value. Lol. Not good. Cordy Glenn and Matt Kalil were clearly the best rookie LTs.

3. Demario Davis, LB, N.Y. Jets (77th). Out of Arkansas State, Davis is a fast linebacker with great rush ability who can play all three downs. He will bring much-needed speed to the Jets' slow linebacking corps. Jets fans are optimistic but see him as a project. Can't post quotes or I'll get deleted.

4. Akiem Hicks, DE, New Orleans (89th). With their first pick in the draft, the Saints found a defensive lineman with great size and even greater upside, which is normally hard to do in the third round. The Canadian college star epitomizes great value. Actually played really well. He looks right on for this one.

5. Omar Bolden, CB, Denver (101st). The Arizona State product would have been picked late in the first or early in the second round, had he not injured his knee last spring. Though it might take some time for him to get healthy, once he is, I fully expect him to regain his talent level and become a starter for the Broncos.

6. Frank Alexander, DE, Carolina (103rd). Alexander has great arm length and inside quickness, and he seems to have a knack for making plays. The ex-Sooner should be able to contribute to the Panthers defense right away.

7. Tank Carder, LB, Buffalo (147th). Carder, of TCU, is an instinctive three-down player who can become a starter for the Bills, giving them a linebacker with much-needed speed and athletic skills. Didn't become a starter for the Bills...

8. Jack Crawford, DE, Oakland (158th). Like the Saints, the Raiders did not have many picks, but they got a nice value by finding Crawford in the fifth round. The Penn State product is big, raw and willing to learn. In 2013, the Raiders could have a starting defensive lineman.

9. Vick Ballard, RB, Indianapolis (170th). Ballard is a productive back with burst acceleration and the ability to play on all three downs. The ex-Mississippi State star might not be the fastest back on the Colts' roster, but he will be the best very soon. He was right here, though I expect the Colts still want to upgrade the position

10. Billy Winn, DT, Cleveland (205th). Winn was a medical concern coming out of Boise State, which is why he slipped to the sixth round. But if his health checks out, he is capable of being a good rotational inside defensive lineman. Absolutely.

11. Caleb McSurdy, LB, Dallas (222nd). McSurdy might never start for Dallas, but he is capable of being a core special-teams member and playing a role in the Cowboys' sub defense. He is smart, tough and willing, which makes him a real value in the seventh round.

12. Cam Johnson, DE, San Francisco (237th). Johnson's great athletic skills often didn't translate into production. He will be playing for a competitive coach in Jim Harbaugh who is capable of finding a way to bring that skill level to the football field. I liked him as a 4-3 end. I don't think he's sniffed the field in SF's 3-4 scheme.

Obviously it's too early to close the book on 2012 rookies (yes, even Weeden), he did pick out some values here but also praised some apparent disasters/bad fits. Just providing info and opinion.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
there is already talk surfacing about Lombardi going after Ryan Mallet for the 6th pick and more in this years draft.

unbelieveable

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

there is already talk surfacing about Lombardi going after Ryan Mallet for the 6th pick and more in this years draft.

unbelieveable

why would NE give up Mallet for a 6th round pick?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Here's another one published a couple days before the draft. He was pretty accurate on this one, except for maybe Richardson and Poe statements.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82...ney-upshaw-down

Yogi Berra once said, "It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Well, that's exactly what I'm being asked to do with the 2012 NFL Draft. I'm not talking about my mock draft -- that comes Wednesday -- but rather a general overview of the three-day event.

Yogi is right: It is hard to make predictions, especially about the draft. So many teams try to hide their real intentions through deception. As much as teams love to lie, they cannot fully conceal reality. Many NFL teams' words to the media might be misleading, but their actions in free agency always tell the real story. That's the best indicator to consider come draft day. My advice is to ignore all the rhetoric and just trust your own instincts.

Here are 10 things that I believe to be true in this week's draft:

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
1. I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.

2. I believe the draft will get really interesting starting at pick No. 7. Especially if receiver Justin Blackmon is off the board, the Jacksonville Jaguars can go in so many different directions, but cornerback could be their top priority. Red-hot prospect Stephon Gilmore continues to fly up draft boards, so watch out for the South Carolina corner coming off the board in this slot. If Blackmon makes it to the Jags, that means someone (maybe the St. Louis Rams?) picked Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox in the top six.

3. I believe the Minnesota Vikings will end up making the third overall selection. Even though they have basically taken out a full-page ad in the newspaper seeking a trade partner, I can't see them pulling off a deal. Teams picking in the teens might want to swap picks with them, but that would eliminate the Vikings' chances of getting either corner Morris Claiborne or tackle Matt Kalil.

4. I believe Syracuse DE Chandler Jones is a hot commodity right now. This is nothing new for NFL teams, who have rated him highly for quite some time, but it's a noticeable development in mock drafts, many of which initially had him pegged as a second-rounder. Most of the good defensive ends/pass rushers, including Jones, should come off the board sometime between pick No. 10 (Buffalo Bills) and pick No. 20 (Tennessee Titans). Jones is not a sudden riser -- he's been a very good player for years. Watch him play two seasons ago against Anthony Castonzo -- the Indianapolis Colts' first-round pick (No. 22 overall) in 2011 -- and it's easy to rate him as a top prospect.

Reuter: Mock Draft 9.0
CB Stephon Gilmore and DT Fletcher Cox fly up the draft board into the top 10 in Chad Reuter's latest first-round projection. More ...
5. I believe there will be many trades made in the first round. With all the pass rushers going from 10-20, there will be a lot of action in this range.

6. I believe Alabama DE/OLB Coutney Upshaw might slip out of the first round. The key team on this front is the Cincinnati Bengals. If they don't take Upshaw with either of their first-round picks (Nos. 17 and 21), he could last until Round 2 because many teams still lack a clear understanding of what position he will play in the league.

7. I believe there are more teams infatuated with Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe than any other player. He is rare -- not only in terms of size and speed, but also in his willingness to work hard on improving his skill set. His solid character is making a big difference, and many teams are willing to take a chance on developing his raw ability.

8. I believe there are more teams in the league that don't think Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon is a true No. 1 receiver than do. This is not to say he's a poor player, but he is not a rare talent, not overwhelmingly special.

9. I believe the Miami Dolphins will in fact take Ryan Tannehill with the eighth pick. This is not a smoke screen. The quarterback that the Dolphins want their fan base to believe in will be the quarterback for their future.

Casserly: Second-round steals
Draft talent certainly doesn't run dry after the first round. Charley Casserly provides six potential second-round steals. More ...
10. I believe that everyone should expect the unexpected Thursday night. Teams must be prepared for anything, and then react accordingly. I believe the best drafting teams are the ones that never go into a draft needing one particular player. A team's love must be spread among multiple players, because there are 31 other teams out there with potentially similar feelings on a prospect.

As always, the draft will be an exciting time. It's my favorite time of the offseason for good reason.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

unbelieveable

no no... our first round pick

R
Legend
Legend
R
JC ...

I am amazed at how snowed Haslam is by Banner. Just amazed. I could not be any less excited about Haslam as I am right now. These guys are so full of themselves at the moment it's unreal. They act like winning is going to be so easy. They think really high of themselves.

As a side ... A couple of points about K.Storm...he said two things that were true ... Haden is not a shutdown corner... and we would have more wins with Peterson than we do with Thomas. I love Thomas just as much as the next guy, but I have been very disappointed in how little difference he has made in the win - loss column. We have the same average amount of wins as we did when we had a turnstile at LT. That's not a knock against Joe, that's just fact. He's a better LT than any of the playoff teams had ... hell, he's the best LT in the game ... and we are consistently one of the worst teams in the league.

Makes you wonder about the importance of that position.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Source?

C
Legend
Legend
C
And that talk was started by Patriots fans who just put down their crack pipe.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

unbelieveable

no no... our first round pick

Wow, who suggested that?

There would be riots at Berea if that happened.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by superbowldogg; 01/18/13 04:16 PM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
A quick Twitter search shows that the sources are "Featured Columnists" on Bleacher Report.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This is from you link:

Quote:

Prior to the 2011 NFL draft, NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi speculated that Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett was going to be a first-round pick. In early January, Lombardi said selecting quarterback Brandon Weeden at No. 22 last year was a "panicked disaster" and Colt McCoy gave the Browns a better chance to win.

If you connect the dots, one could speculate that Lombardi would prefer Mallett as his starting quarterback over Weeden. That's what led the Boston Globe's Greg Bedard to tweet: "For Patriots fans, Mike Lombardi getting Cleveland personnel job puts possible Ryan Mallett trade back on front burner."

Lombardi spoke today of having a good relationship with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, so that could help facilitate a trade between the teams.

When asked about his critical comments about Weeden on Friday, Lombardi said, "I think it's going to take some time to study him. When you live in the building, I think you have a better understanding of the player moving forward. It's going to take me some time to really formulate my final opinions of him."

I missed the part where it says "For the 6th overall pick."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

A quick Twitter search shows that the sources are "Featured Columnists" on Bleacher Report.

there are lots of different sources

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lombardi Hired as VP Player Personnel

Link Copied to Clipboard