Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Quote:

In the press conference they said that everyone recommended Lombardi.

Yeah the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals.

I am so pissed at this.

And the next head coach is ......
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes I just have to think that analysts, media, etc. throw things out there just because it makes a good story, not because it's really what they believe.

Now, did Lombardi not like Weeden? Possibly (if not probably). Does he want to cut Weeden? Who knows. We'll see, I guess.

He's been quoted as saying Weeden/Richardson was a 'panic disaster' and Gordon was a 'wasted pick'.

web page

And nobody here disagreed with the picks?!
How many want Blackmon? I never heard his name all season!

Everybody thought gordon was a fairly long shot, that his attitude would be the decider. It seems to have worked out.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Lombardi is doing his best attempt at a two step to most of the questions.....

That's what i see as well...no real answers (probably b/c he really doesnt KNOW the answers). Bad sign...

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Quote:

That's what i see as well...no real answers (probably b/c he really doesnt KNOW the answers). Bad sign...

I hate this hire as much as the next guy but I've never seen a GM or coach hired and come out and declare anything specific about the roster when they are introduced. Especially when discussing someone who is an unknown.

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Quote:

Especially when discussing someone who is an unknown.

You want unknown's?! Take a look at Lombardi's previous drafts.

Last edited by FargoFan; 01/18/13 01:23 PM.

And the next head coach is ......
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Living in Germany will make it easy to ignore this trainwreck, Im so disgusted right now.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Nobody, when asked for an immediate opinion, would ever get the answer right 100% of the time.

Lombardi actually loved Richardson and said he was the most talented player in the draft. He hated how we got played by the Vikings.

It is hard to find anyone who thought the Weeden pick was good.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Huh? What GM reveals anything? Especially the first day on the job (besides the Jaguars new GM).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lombardi had to know the feelings of the media and fans when he took this job...

And also he met with Haslam and Chud before they actually hired him... So I have to believe that Banner actually has allowed a unified consensus on this hire.

If all of the important players in this have given consent for the hire, than so be it...Always remember, you can get hired and you can get fired, do the job well and win, no problems... Fail at your job and be fired..

I want this team to win, and this is what we have at this point to make it happen..All I can do is what and see and in the mean time hope that it goes well for all the new guys coming in...

There's nothing I can say or do to change it.... I know I can't complain, because I haven't seen anything to complain about..

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Yeah. It was unknown how much say he had over personnel decisions.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L

I think people fears are misguided, I am not saying this is going to the best move the Browns made but the copious amounts of pessimism is ridiculous.

1) Banner is most likely making the picks; for sure Lombardi isn't. Keeping Heckert was never option once Banner was hired. Heckert, who I liked, wanted complete control and this organization didn't want to give it to him. Banner hired a guy he is comfortable working with and respects. Instead of looking at Lombardi's draft look at Banner's. Speaking of Drafts

2) Lombardi's history of picks may or maynot be indicative of anything. When reviewing Lombardi's draft history was there any place where was in fact in control of the draft? I know he wasn't for the Raiders when Al Davis was there. I think it is unfair to criticize him when he may not have had the power to pick the players he wanted.

3) People Change and gain more experience, pretty self-explanatory. I am smarter at 27 than I was at 22.

4) Gordon, Weeden, TRich: The only reason Gordon looks so good now is because the risk paid off so far. To be honest at the time I was hesitatnt about the move and so was more of the board. The only difference being that none of us have a megaphone.

The Weeden pick I maintain was stll early and a panic pick. I am not comfortable with Weeden as the QB of the Browns so to be honest I agree with him on that pick and so did most of the board when it happened. I think the pick was a round to early. With that said I think we are stuck with him this year as they are standout QB prospects.

T-Rich: This comes down to how much you value Rbs and what you think of the trade the Browns made to secure him. Was it a bluff? Was it not? Who knows. It certainly can be criticized because of the trade.and the short shelf-life of RBs in the NFL.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hate this hire as much as the next guy but I've never seen a GM or coach hired and come out and declare anything specific about the roster when they are introduced. Especially when discussing someone who is an unknown.

Sure, but being the Browns...it's also probably a first that we hired a guy that trashed this team at every possible opportunity and criticized pretty much every pick Heckert made. Normally, you don't hire guys who say "you're crap", but that seems to excite Banner for some reason. He likes EGOs, that much is clear....he got a big one sitting next to him come draft day....I hope they have fun, I'll go fishing or something like that

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes, none of it makes a lick of sense to me. It certainly has to make you wonder.

I think it's that thumb drive of his... you know- the one in the safe deposit box? The one with all those pics of Haslam in bed with the teenaged Guatemalan hookers?

Now THAT would make sense-

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Quote:

"top NFL people' said that we should hire Lombardi immediately..."

You mean the guys that you are in direct competition with, and only succeed if you and their other competition fail? Those guys?

Haslam, you fool. You've been duped. Question is, how long will it take for you to realize it?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Quote:

Especially when discussing someone who is an unknown.

Settle down bro, I said I hated the hire. I'm referring to Weeden as an unknown, I'm not sold on him either way.

Lombardi's drafts are atrocious, I completely ignore the Raiders years because nobody had any say in that building besides Al Davis.

I understand you;re upset but I'd definitely take an extra second to re-read before responding.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
all I can say is the opinions I've read on this board over the years don't make anyone an expert!

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

You mean the guys that your are in direct competition with, and only succeed if you and their other competition fail? Those guys?

The NFL runs off of people recommending people to each other.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah. It was unknown how much say he had over personnel decisions.

My Favorite All Time Browns are in there.
Steve Everitt
Eric Turner

Jerry rice isnt a very good pick either.

Davis drove the Raider picks. We all know that.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Quote:

Huh? What GM reveals anything? Especially the first day on the job (besides the Jaguars new GM).

This is true, but dont you think he would want to give SOMETHING that makes him look good-or is he just so out of touch with people's perceptions of him that he has no idea that he's so hated here? I mean look at the boards-even before he was hired people were tearing their hair out at even the possibility...

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Find me a transcript of a GM being hired and getting into specifics about their roster the day they are introduced.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So yeah, hiring Mike Lombardi is going to result in Browns fans and media complaining about every move the front office makes. Not moves that they made in the past, before hiring Lombardi, which is, obviously, when they hired the HC and OC.

So if they hire an excellent candidate for the DC position the fans and media are going to hate the idea because they hired Lombardi?

Oh yeah, that makes so much more sense!

I hate the lombardi Hire, but it stands on it's own. they got Chud and Turner and I love those moves. They retained a couple of guys that I think highly of. so one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. But I have to admit a little credibility just slipped out the door.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

J/C
all I can say is the opinions I've read on this board over the years don't make anyone an expert!

Yeah that is VERY true, lol

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

So the 'top NFL people' said that we should hire Lombardi immediately.... and yet he's been out of the NFL for how long?? and hasn't been offerred a position for how long?

I was thinking the same thing...

Agreed.

What I took out of the presser was Lombardi constantly saying "I've changed. Change is good. I've grown. I've changed. I've learned, I've changed......"

That's neat to know.

But I love what jaybird said (I think it was him)....Haslam said "all the top people in the nfl said if you can hire Lombardi, do it...", and he was out of football for 5 years.........why didn't any of those "top people" hire him?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Lombardi already had his "go root for Buffalo" moment. Send me a PM, if you want to read it, can't post on here

Legend
Legend
Well .... all I can say is this .....

We've hired people who I really liked who wound up flopping ...... so maybe a guy I'm not crazy about will wind up bing wildly successful.

That's my hope anyway.

Lombardi really did come across as a guy looking for redemption, and who will do everything he can to make the team successful. He also seemed to be somewhat humble ...... maybe too much so. I like a guy in player personnel who knows about current personnel ...... and he seemed almost to say that he doesn't really know the Browns, and the league as well as he needs to in order to do his job. It's almost like he's going to have to really cram to get up to speed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nobody here has grown or changed as a man since 1996? How about the last 5 years?

I'm not thrilled about the hire but I have to wonder is it 100% about Lombardi or has a 17 year old scab been pulled off?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Banner is most likely making the picks;

Well hell, that made me feel a whole lot better

Who was the last pick that Banner made again?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

You mean the guys that your are in direct competition with, and only succeed if you and their other competition fail? Those guys?

The NFL runs off of people recommending people to each other.

You're absolutely right, thank you for pointing that out. I now realize that not one of those people would ever mislead anyone to gain a competitive advantage. I feel so foolish.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Maybe one would.

I think I am safe in saying that a group of NFL "people" did not conspire to get Michael Lombardi a job with the Cleveland Browns.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I don't like Lombardi but i would much rather have him on my team than Pat freaking Shurmur.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes I just have to think that analysts, media, etc. throw things out there just because it makes a good story, not because it's really what they believe.

Now, did Lombardi not like Weeden? Possibly (if not probably). Does he want to cut Weeden? Who knows. We'll see, I guess.

He's been quoted as saying Weeden/Richardson was a 'panic disaster' and Gordon was a 'wasted pick'.

web page

And nobody here disagreed with the picks?!
How many want Blackmon? I never heard his name all season!

Everybody thought gordon was a fairly long shot, that his attitude would be the decider. It seems to have worked out.

Blackmon led all rookies in receiving yards.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man, whatever prediction from this guy's mouth you stumble upon...he's been wrong every time, hilarious:

So, I was looking for his Haden quote and found this right after it in the same article.

Enjoy, that's our puppet GM now, recommending prospects to our youtube scout GM:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...-finding-a-team

» According to coaches around the league, Browns first-round pick Joe Haden has not been very impressive in camps and might not have enough speed to play corner. Maybe all that talk about some in the organization wanted to take Kyle Wilson over Haden was true.

Think ...

» It was smart for the Steelers to lock up Mike Tomlin with an extension. Tomlin is one of the game's bright young coaches and to keep him secure was a smart play. The Steelers have always had great respect for coaches (they've only had three since 1969).

» Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart is finally healthy, and will have a great year. I spent some time with him last week, and he is excited about the season.

770yds, 2 TDs in his 3rd season, which was his worst, lol

» I like my Miami prediction as a Super Bowl contender even more now. The tape on the Dolphins does not lie, clearly showing the tean as one of the league's best last year in terms of execution.

Miami went 7-9...yeah, tape doesn't lie...crappy eyes assessing it neither Mikey

N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

i'm not happy about the Lombardi hire either. he's the guy who praised Gabbert to every end, killed Haden because he ran a bad 40 and thought JJ Watt was a 2-down player.

those are just a few examples, but, in his writing at least, he has been a slave to the combine. he focuses on those artificial numbers much more than most and that's a scary way to do things.

hopefully, we keep alot of the good personnel guys in place and they are able to frame things for the best players in a way that we come to a "consensus" correctly.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Like I said before. He has to make predictions on every NFL team. If a person was 30% correct I would be impressed.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The only hindsight "maybe" over Haden I'd take from that draft would be Earl Thomas. All-pro FS has a bit more value than all-pro CB. I mean it's nice to have at least one, but we probably could've nabbed Claiborne last year and would have an even better secondary. Hard to say how it really would've played out, but it seems like it's going to be very difficult to find a game-changer at FS going forward.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Quote:

The only hindsight "maybe" over Haden I'd take from that draft would be Earl Thomas. All-pro FS has a bit more value than all-pro CB. I mean it's nice to have at least one, but we probably could've nabbed Claiborne last year and would have an even better secondary. Hard to say how it really would've played out, but it seems like it's going to be very difficult to find a game-changer at FS going forward.

You're ranking a good FS over a lock down corner?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's never too early to start following @TheFakeLombardi on Twitter. Same guy who did the FakePatShurmur. Should be fun.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Banner is a liar. Lombardi you are a total jackass and my days of loyally following the Browns are over. Hopefully after the Superbowl when they hoist the Lombardi, it will be Joe on the end of a freaking rope.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Joe Banner is a liar.

You referring to where the coach has ( doesn't ) have final say.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, you probably are safe in saying that. My question is, then who's lying? I find it extremely difficult to believe that a group of NFL personnel were all telling Haslam that if he could get Lombardi, he should sign him as soon as possible. Something stinks in C-Town.

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lombardi Hired as VP Player Personnel

Link Copied to Clipboard