Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

So posts of all the reports of free agents we've contacted & are possibly pursuing have been removed???

Why is that?

i have no idea

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cromartie? Really?

Browns | Show interest in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:32:24 -0800

The Cleveland Browns contacted the agent for impending free-agent CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Eagles).

Comment | Source: Akron Beacon Journal - Nate Ulrich | Share:

Browns | Reach out to Julian Edelman
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:32:04 -0800

The Cleveland Browns have contacted the agent of impending free-agent WR Julian Edelman (Patriots). He played his college football at nearby Kent State.

Browns | Might pursue Keenan Lewis
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:31:37 -0800

The Cleveland Browns contacted the representation of impending free-agent CB Keenan Lewis (Steelers).

Browns | Could pursue Victor Butler
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 20:13:19 -0800

The Cleveland Browns might pursue impending free-agent LB Victor Butler (Cowboys) when free agency opens Tuesday, March 12.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns...rgets-1.379918#

Browns notebook: As free-agency talks begin, team shows interest in many expected targets

Browns talk to agents of cornerbacks Toler, Cason, sources reveal

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published: March 9, 2013

The Browns are among the teams that talked to the agents of San Diego Chargers cornerback Antoine Cason and Arizona Cardinals cornerback Greg Toler on Saturday, league sources told the Beacon Journal.

The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situations.

Starting Saturday, NFL teams were permitted to enter negotiations with agents of players whose contracts are set to expire. However, according reports from several national media outlets, the league sent a memo to teams warning them not to strike any agreements with agents before free agency officially begins at 4 p.m. Tuesday. A violation would subject a team to a tampering investigation, the memo read.

Still, teams are allowed to express their interest in soon-to-be free agents by speaking with their representation, and the Browns have been doing just that.

The Orange and Brown Report also reported the Browns contacted the agents of Baltimore Ravens linebacker Paul Kruger, 27, Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, 26, Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Keenan Lewis, 26, Oakland Raiders tight end Brandon Myers, 27, New England Patriots wide receiver and Kent State University product Julian Edelman, 26, and Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, 26.

The Plain Dealer reported the Browns talked to the agent of Ravens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, 27.

The Orange and Brown Report listed Miami Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith, 25, as someone in whom the Browns have shown interest. But a source told the Beacon Journal the Browns had yet to contact Smith’s agent.

The names that have leaked so far are not surprising. Cornerback, linebacker, tight end and wide receiver are among the positions the Browns need to bolster.

For example, Cason or Toler could replace Sheldon Brown in the starting lineup opposite Joe Haden if the Browns are able to nab one of them. Brown, 33, is set to depart the Browns via free agency.

Cason, 26, has been a full-time starter for the Chargers in each of the past three seasons. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Cason started all 16 games last season and had 73 tackles, 11 passes defensed and two interceptions.

Toler, 28, started 13 games in 2010 and was expected to start the following season until he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during an exhibition game and sat out all of 2011. The 6-foot, 192-pound Toler then started two of the 11 games in which he appeared last season, compiling eight passes defensed and two interceptions.

Cason and Toler have ties to Cleveland.

Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner, a former head coach of the Chargers, drafted Cason in the first round (No. 27 overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. The two spent the past five seasons together with the Chargers. Toler, a fourth-round pick (No. 131 overall) in 2008, spent last season with Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who previously held the same job with the Cardinals.

Kruger and Avril, though, are the top pass rushers of the aforementioned players. The 6-4, 270-pound Kruger had nine sacks in the regular season and 4½ in the playoffs while helping the Ravens win the Super Bowl. The 6-3, 260-pound Avril has had 9½, 11 and 8½ sacks in the past three seasons, respectively. He is a former pupil of Browns defensive line coach Joe Cullen, who filled the same role for the Lions during Avril’s rookie season in 2008.

Out the door?

As of Saturday afternoon, six teams had shown interest in Browns wide receiver/special-teams standout Josh Cribbs, 29, a league source said. All signs continue to point toward Cribbs’ departure from Cleveland. He has not been confident about his chances of returning since last season.

“It’s a business, unfortunately,” Cribbs, a three-time Pro Bowl kick returner from Kent State, said Feb. 28 during a Cleveland Auto Show appearance. “As much as I love the fans of Cleveland and the community, football is a business, and unfortunately there comes a time that we must part ways.”

Worth watching

The Pittsburgh Steelers cut outside linebacker James Harrison for salary-cap reasons. Harrison, an Akron native, is a product of Coventry High School and Kent State.

The 6-foot, 242-pound Harrison has connections to the Browns aside from his Northeast Ohio roots. Horton was an assistant for Pittsburgh from 2004-10, and Browns owner Jimmy Haslam bought a minority stake in the Steelers in 2008.

Harrison, 34, has had at least 10 sacks in three seasons (2008-10). He had six sacks last season and nine in 2011.

Copyright © 2013 Ohio.com

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Dave great article. Thank you. Excited to see those names. Tuesday should be a good day.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So do we get to lynch the front office for every free agent we dont sign? Since I dont like the FO, I will get my rope and be right back.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Cromartie? Really?

Browns | Show interest in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:32:24 -0800

The Cleveland Browns contacted the agent for impending free-agent CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Eagles).

Comment | Source: Akron Beacon Journal - Nate Ulrich | Share:

Browns | Reach out to Julian Edelman
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:32:04 -0800

The Cleveland Browns have contacted the agent of impending free-agent WR Julian Edelman (Patriots). He played his college football at nearby Kent State.

Browns | Might pursue Keenan Lewis
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:31:37 -0800

The Cleveland Browns contacted the representation of impending free-agent CB Keenan Lewis (Steelers).

Browns | Could pursue Victor Butler
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 20:13:19 -0800

The Cleveland Browns might pursue impending free-agent LB Victor Butler (Cowboys) when free agency opens Tuesday, March 12.

Link

Good post, thank you.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Anyone have any updates on Goldson or rumors of S we have talked to?

Im surprised we havent been linked to Toler yet.

We HAVE been linked to Toler, along w a handful of others. But the links being posted from KFFL & such are disappearing or being removed.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Yeah .... I understand that .... and it's idiotic.

If you negotiate, the entire purpose is to reach agreement. Why play games?

I agree it's idiotic. But your question made it sound like you missed the "announcement" part so I pointed it out.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Never mind. There's an article posted mentioning Toler...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Just keep refreshing this link to keep up on new info...

KFFL- All Browns page

Browns | Could be interested in Ricky Jean-Francois

Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:15:54 -0700

The Cleveland Browns are believed to be interested in free-agent DL Ricky Jean-Francois (49ers).

Share: | Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Anyone have any updates on Goldson or rumors of S we have talked to?

Im surprised we havent been linked to Toler yet.

We HAVE been linked to Toler, along w a handful of others. But the links being posted from KFFL & such are disappearing or being removed.

Pick a FA, any Free Agent.. Any reporter can link the Browns to Any one of them. As well as any other team with any of them. that doesn't mean it's happening.

They got nothing to write about until Tuesday. So, they just link this player with that team and this team with that player and so on and so on..

Then on Tuesday, only about a 1/4 of everything will be close to true.

It's called the Silly Season for a reason LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Brownoholic thanks for the link. I hadnt seen anything about Toler before.

Ricky Jean-Francios would be a solid pick up at 3-4 end.

H
Rookie
Rookie
H
I believe that reports are being thrown out there, just stating what would appear to be an obvious match.
Cleveland Browns needs a cornerback or two and cornerback A, B and C are free agents. Cornerback A spent one season with assistanct coach on Browns staff.
Example, all defensive players from the Cardinals, especially needed corners and linebackers.

H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Now that players have been tagged, resigned, cut and dollar figures have been thrown around, how about we reset.
My realistic wish list is, based on urgency:
1. Avril OLB Lions I am thinking this premium pass rusher and big man that can run will be signed, Tuesday, by someone.
2. Lewis CB Steelers Taking this all around corner, from the Steelers is an added bonus to the value of the young, ascending DB.
3. Boldin WR Ravens (if cut) Perfect example for our young, big receivers to learn how to impose their will on DBs, when the ball is there to be taken. He has a couple good years of production, too.
4. Walker TE 49ers This guy can be moved all over, TE, FB and split. Most available TEs are not very good blockers that is why I have attached more urgency to signing Walker.
5. Quin FS Texans This guy is a true Free Safety, most available safeties are lacking in coverage ability. We need a centerfielder that can stay with TEs and some WRs and Quin would compliment Wards strengths.
6. Vasquez G Chargers Will instantly improve our power running game, especially short yardage and subsequently play-action deep passing game.
7. Dawson K I believe that he still has great value in the swirling winds, so I am holding out hope.

Second tier signings would be:
3rd Cornerback: Toler AZ, Cary Williams Ravens or Munnerlyn Panthers We need to replace more than just Sheldon Brown. Toler or Williams may get starter money, elsewhere.
Rotation LBs: Wheeler Raiders and Groves AZ We need quantity and quality LBs.
Rotation DL: Jean-Francois 49ers Our DL should be in good shape, with maybe one quality addition.
Pass catching TE: I believe that there is a lot of quality in free agecy and the draft, that is why I do not have it as urgent. I would and believe the FO will do the same, let the market come to them and allow the salary demands lower for this position group. Cook will probably be too high priced. I would target one of Myers (Raiders), Davis (Skins) or Keller (Jets), especially with the Cameron and hopefully Walker (49ers).

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl

Browns | Two could be options for extensions

Sun, 10 Mar 2013 14:47:05 -0700

The Cleveland Browns could consider approaching CB Joe Haden and FS T.J. Ward about contract extensions this offseason.

Share: | Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay Cabot

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

The Cleveland Browns could consider approaching CB Joe Haden and FS T.J. Ward about contract extensions this offseason.

haden sure. ward? well he might turn out. on his 3rd coach maybe he can be coached up. dont realy see a FS/SS that cannot make a open feild tackle to save his life being a high priorty signing.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'd be more pleased to see Mack's name listed too...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I'd be more pleased to see Mack's name listed too...

he is a gimme. would be fools not to get him resigned.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Although I love reading something like this, it's all conjecture at this point. I think this was put out there to simply generate a weekend story or buzz since the pre-FA weekend has been rather dull, although they are very logical moves for the Browns. I, for one, think the bulk of the cap space we endeavor to spend should be used to re-sign these two and Mack. On the website, if you click on the "Source:Cleveland PD", it takes you to an article by Terry Pluto, and in said article, a portion reads:

3. The Browns will use some of their cap money to extend contracts of current players. Alex Mack is the No. 1 target. They also may look at extending T.J. Ward and Joe Haden. So they don't want to just toss around big money to free agents and risk losing players on the roster who are valuable to them.

And I couldn't agree more! Allocate/Spend your cap money first on the young, good talent already here before they hit FA. Don't be in a position where you have to let them walk like so many teams are forced to do.

Here is a link to the full TP article.

Man, I hope this really happens...

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/10/13 07:25 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
perhaps an interesting thing to note.... looking at the early post Dave did.... everyone we've shown interest in have been 27 years old and younger. We're looking at younger talent that can stick around and hopefully make us competitive for an extended period of time and not aged veterans as stop-gaps.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe that reports are being thrown out there, just stating what would appear to be an obvious match.
Cleveland Browns needs a cornerback or two and cornerback A, B and C are free agents. Cornerback A spent one season with assistanct coach on Browns staff.
Example, all defensive players from the Cardinals, especially needed corners and linebackers.

nah,, it's just the silly season, they don't know anything.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

perhaps an interesting thing to note.... looking at the early post Dave did.... everyone we've shown interest in have been 27 years old and younger. We're looking at younger talent that can stick around and hopefully make us competitive for an extended period of time and not aged veterans as stop-gaps.

I have noticed this also. We as fans have had to endure the worst FA signings for the past decade. For once it seems like the powers that be are actually looking to sign decent FAs who are young enough to keep for a while and good enough to strengthen the team.

My hope is they do add some major pieces thru FA this year, then use the draft to build depth with young talent.

I know we have been down this road many times, but having a new OWNER could be the difference this time around

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Browns show interest in Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...nerlyn-1.380081
By Nate Ulrich Published: March 10, 2013

The Browns have been in contact with the agent of Carolina Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, a league source told the Beacon Journal today.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Munnerlyn is set to hit the open market when free agency begins at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Not only are the Browns looking for a cornerback who can start opposite Joe Haden, but they also need a nickel corner after cutting Dimitri Patterson in December. Munnerlyn, 24, has excelled while covering slot receivers in the nickel role.

Last season, Munnerlyn started 11 of the 16 games in which he appeared and compiled 61 tackles, nine passes defensed and two interceptions, both of which he returned for touchdowns. In 2011, he started all 14 games in which he appeared.

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski served as the offensive coordinator of the Panthers during the past two seasons, so he knows the 5-8, 190-pound Munnerlyn.

Last week, Munnerlyn told the Charlotte Observer he would like to re-sign with the Panthers, but he also left the door open for a departure.

“My heart’s in Carolina,” said Munnerlyn, a seventh-round pick (No. 216 overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft. “I want to stay in Carolina. But at the same time, it’s a business and it’s about being productive. I feel like this past season I had a good year and hopefully I can get a good contract from it.”

Four teams have talked to Munnerlyn’s agent, Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun and Scout.com reported.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
J/C

When does FA agency actually start? Is it Monday night at midnight? Or Tuesday at midnight?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

My question on free agency is this ......

How the hell do teams and agents "enter into negotiations" with one another ..... but also be careful not to agree to terms on a contract so they don't violate the terms of the new 3 day waiting period ......?

I agree. This whole free agency thing makes no sense. If they wanted to make it so no one could be signed until Tuesday, then why not just start free agency on Tuesday at Midnight??

Makes no sense, but it gets people talking, so there is that!

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe Tuesday at 4:30 pm

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Browns | Interested in Antoine Cason
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 13:57:51 -0800

The Cleveland Browns have contacted to the agent for free-agent CB Antoine Cason (Chargers) to express their interest in Cason.

Browns | Have not shown interest in Sean Smith
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 13:32:12 -0800

The Cleveland Browns have not contacted free-agent CB Sean Smith's (Dolphins) agent at this point to express interest in Smith.

Link

If true, confidence level in Banner&Lombardi upped by 5% to 10%

Cason could be cheaper and is the more consistent CB imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Browns | Interested in Antoine Cason
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 13:57:51 -0800

The Cleveland Browns have contacted to the agent for free-agent CB Antoine Cason (Chargers) to express their interest in Cason.

Browns | Have not shown interest in Sean Smith
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 13:32:12 -0800

The Cleveland Browns have not contacted free-agent CB Sean Smith's (Dolphins) agent at this point to express interest in Smith.

Link

If true, confidence level in Banner&Lombardi upped by 5% to 10%

Cason could be cheaper and is the more consistent CB imho...another 1% for showing interest in Munnerlyn

#gmstrong

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Browns | Interested in Captain Munnerlyn

Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:07:48 -0700

The Cleveland Browns have been in contact with the agent of impending free-agent CB Captain Munnerlyn (Panthers), according to a league source. Munnerlyn has excelled while covering slot receivers in the nickel role. New head coach Rob Chudzinski also has some familiarity with Munnerlyn from his time in Carolina.

Share: | Source: Akron Beacon Journal - Nate Ulrich

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I take it WalterFootball is way off base w their 2 star rating (Sheldon Brown's 2 1/2) for Cason w this little blurb...

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013CB.php

"Antoine Cason, CB, Chargers. Age: 27. Antoine Cason was torched on a weekly basis this past season. The former first-round pick is still young enough to turn his career around, but time is running out."

And while I'm at it....

"Captain Munnerlyn, CB, Panthers. Age: 25. Captain Munnerlyn was benched early in the season, but eventually regained his starting job when Chris Gamble got hurt. He did an OK job."

N
Legend
Legend
N
cason was terrible last year

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

He was...just like Barwin, but they're still 2 very good players. He'd be a solid no2 CB, smart player, good tackler...should have been moved to FS, but still s solid CB

#gmstrong

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

He was...just like Barwin, but they're still 2 very good players. He'd be a solid no2 CB, smart player, good tackler...should have been moved to FS, but still s solid CB

Barwin is a big part of the reason I am scared of Kruger. Barwin had a dominating 1/2 a season despite not having that in the 1.5years before. And then, he fell back off it again this year.

On Cason, I'm not completely opposed to signing him if he's cheap, but he's not one of my first options. And, CB is tough to judge as many DBs have a good year followed by a bad year. Sometimes getting that consistency is tough (as we all know from '11 Bad Sheldon to '12 Good Sheldon).

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Barwin was a pretty good pass rusher off the bench BEFORE his good season in 2011...I remember that he was a top 5 guy in sacks (or pressures)/plays his rookie season...then he had a pretty scary IR injury in 2010...then breakout season in 2011 and bad season 2012...he's far from the "flash player" you're trying to picture...he barely played 3 seasons in this league yet and 2 of them have been pretty good considering his experience

Cason has been similar, he had good, solid seasons in 2010 and 2011 and not so good lasty year. He does get beat over the top but is a great CB when the play is in front of him, hence why I said he should have been moved to FS

#gmstrong

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

he barely played 3 seasons in this league yet and 2 of them have been pretty good considering his experience

that's my point on him. he played sparingly his rookie year, missed his 2nd year, had a "breakout" year his 3rd year, then regressed his 4th. that is not the type of player you pay a ton of money.

someone is going to pay big money to Kruger and he's had a similar career so far except his timed his "breakout" portion to be right before FA. I'm not saying Barwin or Kruger can't/won't be good players, but they are not the surefire guys you should be spending $10mil+ per season.

Cason, to me, is a Tampa-2 CB (where his skillset would be best) and Horton likes to play a ton of bump-man coverage. I think it is a bad fit. You bring up an interesting scenario of moving him to FS.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
True, but see, that's value...there are no sure fire pass rushers (or QBs, LTs etc) available in FA...it's a value position and it won't get much better than the Kruger's and Avril's of the league....I'd rather take a gamble on a high value need than on a lower value position (G), if you fix the pass rush, you've improved your entire DB too, otoh if your not taking the risk and sign DBs, they might look worse than they are because of lack of pass rush

It's also the "price" we're going to pay for doing this stupidly timed D switch...they wanted it? Now, they have to deliver

As for CBs...true, Cason isn't the best fit, but if he takes less than some of the other "names" I'd go with him. Lewis is pretty good cover corner...I still think the best "value" (talen/production per money) would be Toler for us...we could get Toler and Munnerlyn for the money of 1 of DRC or Lewis

#gmstrong

P
Legend
Legend
P
Munnerlynn is the real deal, great cover corner who makes BIG plays .... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Browns Express Interest in Jared Cook

The Browns have expressed in Titans free agent Jared Cook, the top tight end on the market, league sources have said.

The Browns are one of at least a half dozen teams eyeing the premier tight end, who caught 44 passes for 523 yards and four TDs last season. The Dolphins and Bears are also reportedly in the mix.

Question is, will the Browns be willing to pay the huge salary Cook will command? With the Browns pursuing big-name pass-rushers such as Ravens linebacker Paul Kruger and Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, they might not want to spend upwards of $6 million on a tight end.

Reports have Cook (6-5, 246) in line to make anywhere from $6 million to $10 million a year.

It's probably actually more likely the Browns will end up with Raiders tight end Brandon Myers, who caught 79 passes for 806 yard and four TDs last season.

Teams can begin signing players at 4 p.m. tomorrow. That's also when the trading period opens.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/team/1363014678-94-14/cleveland-browns-have-expressed-interest.html

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Of all the guys that would require OVER paying, I'm least intrigued by Cook...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That'd be a horrible signing, especially at that price....just get a good slot WR. I'll never understand the love for TEs who never play at the LOS

Btw, it'd be easier to list the FAs we're "not interested" in...guess it's a mix of us having so much money and/or Lombardi having to loose a mouth to his former media buddies...I'll believe it when I see it and hope we stay the hell away from Cook

#gmstrong

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency II

Link Copied to Clipboard