Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Haslam and Banner have made it clear that there will be competition at quarterback.

Weeden has a four year deal at $8.1 mil. Three years guaranteed.

McCoy last year of contract just over $2 mil. ( there are escalators for snaps etc.)

Thad Lewis signed a 2 year deal for $1.02 in December 2012.

=========================================================

The options for competition:

1.) veteran like Matt Moore as a free agent. Maybe David Gerard if he doesn't sign with the Jets. Not a lot out there in free agency.

2.) Trade. Well, Alex Smith is gone. Flynn is staying. Maybe Ryan Mallet. Indications are that he is staying with the Pats.

3.) Draft.

a,) "Perceived" weak draft in quarterbacks. This option is to take a guy later in the draft and try to find an unpolished gem. Saw where the Browns interviewed the Arizona QB Matt Scott.

He is a one year starter. Expected to be a mid to late round pick. A guy to work with and develop.

Took the time to watch 2 games Stanford and USC.

Interesting prospect. Quick feet, moves well, good quick live arm. You can see he is a little raw. Does not display great poise and polished skill.

At the same time I like what I saw. Good piece of clay. If the kid has the right work ethic he would be a guy that could develop.

Draft.

b.) Swing for the fence and take Gino Smith.

If Banner and company believe that Weeden "may not" be the answer and have concerns about his age and how he will develop then Gino may be the best play.
Why draft a guy late that you know he is a project? If they believe in Gino and like his upside and see a potential franchise guy. Then why not draft him and let him compete with Weeden? There would be no pressure to start Gino. If Weeden beats him out he starts. If Gino beats Weeden out he starts.

They can cut or keep McCoy. Thad Lewis is there if they cut McCoy.

Money is not really a factor. Morris Claiborne last years sixth pick got a four year deal for $16mil. That means $6.5 to $8.5 a year on quarterbacks.

At the end of the day you have to solve the quarterback position. If you like Gino Smith at 15 then why not at six if you believe him to be the answer. You only have to be right.

I am not saying I would do this but it has to be a consideration. I will not do a mock till after free agency.

At this point I am not going into what I think about Gino. I will only point out that at this point he has to be in the mix.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I don't know if he is the smartest choice for us.

Great arm, he's got a set of wheels as we all saw with his 40 time.

I just don't know if he can hold up in this division. Maybe 5 years from now it's not as brutal physical-wise as it has been, but I think I would rather have a big strong QB than a guy built like RG3 who could really take some big shots in the AFCN.

He's an interesting thought though.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Just a heads up, it's Geno, not Gino.

Legend
Legend
I think that Matt Moore is the most likely option this year for competition for Weeden.

I don't see us going 1st round for a QB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Just a heads up, it's Geno, not Gino.

maybe he's talking about his Italian cousin

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Didn't Banner say in a press conference QB is not their focus at #6? But I guess anything can change in the course of two months since he made that statement.

People assume he can be RG3 or Russell Wilson and run, he's primarily a packet passer. I've read that although he has natural accuracy, there is a concern with intermediate throws as well as understanding an NFL offense after running the spread.

I personally think he smarter than people give him credit for and think over time he can learn an NFL offense. Not sure if he's a top ten pick.

Either way, this team isn't going anywhere until they get a QB. Whether that's Weeden or someone else.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Choices aren't great

But just a dumb question (dumb because I don't think he'll be there when we pick)

Does anyone think that E. J. Manuel could be good in the 3rd round. or is he another DA?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Choices aren't great

But just a dumb question (dumb because I don't think he'll be there when we pick)

Does anyone think that E. J. Manuel could be good in the 3rd round. or is he another DA?

I'll make this easy

Look at Manuel's numbers and then look at how many 5 star players Florida State has. He was mediocre with all world talent around him.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Choices aren't great

I'll make this easy

Look at Manuel's numbers and then look at how many 5 star players Florida State has. He was mediocre with all world talent around him.

Vince Young and Terrelle Pryor...both are QB's who have off-the-chart measurables but weren't gifted enough as passers. Yes, I'm using Prior in the past-tense even though he's yet to be given the chance to fail because I see nothing in his arm that tells me he can be an NFL passer.

Manuel looks like a guy in that mold. He's probably going to go higher than he should because of his measurables and the current trend towards duel-threat QB's, but if I'm grading QB's on their ability to play from the pocket, he's a 4th or 5th rounder.

The litmus test QB is Dennis Dixon. Given up for dead, he's being resurrected because of his wheels. Manuel is coming to the NFL at the exact right time.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
N
Legend
Legend
N
Manuel is a QB more like Big Ben than VY or Pryor. Not saying he'll be as good, but that is more his style.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Geno Smith...Probably the first QB taken in this draft unless Barclay has an amazing Pro Day. Still the question is where? Supposedly GS will not get past #8 even some talk about them possibly leap frogging #7 who might show interest n we got a trade down partner?

If Chud n Norv are super Gaga in love with him as their Guy...then no doubt we will take him at #6.

Hard to believe anything stated regarding the draft...we did have Banner a while back stating No Way we are looking at #6 for a QB in the draft. Either that was such an obvious he was not afraid to state it. Or it was smoke screen cause we want him

I don't see any answers in FA...I wasn't even high on Alex Smith for the vertical offense being brought in. I know very controversial n I think he burnt his bridges with the fans but football wise the best guy to bring in would be DA - I think Weeden beats him out in a competition but if he can take a mentor role n backup QB role assuming he has matured. Its one of the few FA QBs out there that makes sense.

Draft...I don't see these guys assessing that GS is THE GUY. But if so we probably would have to go #6 n probably still start Weeden as they develop the pick.

As for Developing a QB...the guy I would wish us to develop 3rd round but might get taken in the First...who knows with QBs now a days. But the kid Glennon impressed me as a QB to "DEVELOP"

Speaking of Develop...I don't have the tools this year to investigate players for the draft but somebody just turned me onto a Div. II prospect named Lalich...he was in two big time programs but got thrown out for Under age Drinking. Even though nobody here would ever do that 4 years down the road the kid is - Over the drinking age now, Hopefully matured not to binge drink (guessing he did n got caught) . But Hopefully my learned dawgs much more apt to Internet investigations can share some info on this kid as a later round investment.

I am pretty sure we will draft a QB I just don't think it will be early. Got a feeling we will try to trade Colt n if not able will release him this all in the case if we Invest in DA or another FA. Early Geno?, 3rd Glennon (probably long gone) late round Lalich? Really no clue what we like.

JMHO...man Bridgewater (think that is his name) gave me goose bumps for next years draft. QB??? we just cannot suck all the way to get that #1 pick at the right time. We always win those games n get to 5, 6, 7.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We always win those games n get to 5, 6, 7.

It's a conspiracy perpetrated by The Man to keep us down!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would love to get Bridgewater. I would trade down this with the goal of gathering additional picks in next year's draft with the intent of going "all in" to get him.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

I would love to get Bridgewater. I would trade down this with the goal of gathering additional picks in next year's draft with the intent of going "all in" to get him.

My thoughts exactly.

For me, this is Weeden's year to see if he can cut the mustard. Hopefully he isn't mediocre, either really good or really terrible.

Balls to drafting a non-talented QB in this year's draft when next year looks to be extraordinarily deep for QB between guys like Bridgewater, Boyd out of Clemson, maybe Manziel, McCarron could be good, and the inevitable breakout QB of the season, whoever that may be.

Boom or Bridgewater!

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Like we did with Luck and RGIII!

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
We were very close on getting RG3 and there are possibly 3-4 QBs of that same elite caliber in the next draft. I think it would be a great move to drop down, pick up and extra #1, and maybe snag Jones/Mingo, Ertz, Cooper, or a CB/Safety towards the end of the 1st.

Last edited by Kingcob; 03/06/13 07:57 PM.
Legend
Legend
I think he's more a product of WV's system... kid has talent, but I dont think he'd be a better option than Weeden right now... I think we bring in a vet to compete with the thought that if Weeden fails then we'll go and try to draft a QB next year...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Like we did with Luck and RGIII!

It was a good plan. We just failed to execute it properly.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
RGIII is damaged goods, I am soooooooo glad we did not get him .... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

We were very close on getting RG3 and there are possibly 3-4 QBs of that same elite caliber in the next draft.

Same caliber of what we thought RGIII was going into the draft or what he turned out to be? To me RGIII and Luck are once in a decade type of guys, I don't see anyone on their level coming out any time soon.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Teddy Bridgewater is there. When I watch him play, I see flashes of Aaron Rodgers. Tajh Boyd isn't that far behind.

Legend
Legend
That's why I wanted to go all in on RG3 last year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
So they're not on the same level as Luck and Griffin. Going into Luck's junior season everyone knew he was the slam dunk #1 draft pick and a franchise QB. Once the season was over everyone felt the same way about RGIII. If there was someone like that in the 2014 draft there would be no talk of Clowney going #1.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
It will depend on the situation.

If the team drafting at the #1 spot in next year's draft needs a QB, and they most likely will, I am willing to bet a one year ban that Clowney, as wildly talented as he is, will not be drafted by that team. That honor will go to Bridgewater.

Any takers?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

That's why I wanted to go all in on RG3 last year.

This is true. I was against it. I didn't think RGIII was a surefire franchise QB. If I could do it all over again, I would make the trade every time. (Although Shurmur would have tried to make him a dropback west coast QB.)

Legend
Legend
Yeah, Shurmur would probably have wrecked him anyway.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
These guys are a little easier to trust wen it comes to evaluating QBs. If they don't like Weeden and do like Geno, I'm down. Smith is a film fanatic with a strong arm and blazing speed. He once said he sees himself as going up against defensive coordinators, not merely defenses. Pretty deep!

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Early Thoughts on Gino Smith

Bust....Just becuase he's the so called best of 2013 dosent make or mean he's a NFL calibur QB....Becuase he's not....Every year media & fans go crazy over some QB, I could go on for days naming NFL sure picks...so called franchise QB's ...Cant miss QB...every year we go thru this, this year it's somebody..This year it's Gino...stay away from Gino he will be a forgotten man next year at this time. .....I'd rather draft Barkley ....actually I'd rather not draft a QB at all....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Every year media & fans go crazy over some QB, I could go on for days naming NFL sure picks...so called franchise QB's ...Cant miss QB...every year we go thru this, this year it's somebody..This year it's Gino...

The highest I've seen him mocked is 7 to Arizona and even those guys admit it's probably a reach... a lot of analysts don't even have him evaluated as a first round pick... so who are the media and fans that are saying he's a sure thing and a can't miss franchise QB?

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
i've seen him #2 to JAX on several sites (at least some versions). of course, with mocks now, you can find anything you want as there are a million sites and they put out a million versions on each one.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

i've seen him #2 to JAX on several sites

Well those people are stupid.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't have a clue as to what the Browns will do and they never do [except for the drafting Joe Thomas] do what I think is best for them, anyway. However, I can analyze Smith as a qb.

Early in the year, Smith was putting up ridiculous numbers. It obviously peaked my interest and I began watching WVU games, hoping that he might be another RGIII. I came away very disappointed and I would not recommend drafting him at #6. I do admit I have heard a couple of things recently that made me think a bit more highly of him, such as the comments from the new A&M assistant coach who praised Smith for his work ethic and dissed Weeden for his work ethic. He was around both guys. That meant something to me, but anyway, here is my analysis:

Strengths:
--Very good arm. I think he makes the intermediate throws very well.

--Excellent touch on his passes.

--Leads receivers so they can run after catch.

--Seems to read defenses at LOS and will change play or make hot read.

--Keeps his eyes downfield when pressured.

--Will look off a safety

--Has a nice release. Quick release.

--Can throw on the move.

--Decent athlete w/pretty good size.

Concerns:
--Footwork. My biggest concern. He gets his feet out of whack when trying to move in the pocket. It happens after he has been hit a few times, also. Loses accuracy when feet are misaligned. This is my biggest concern w/the guy. And it is no small matter, as it has ruined many potential good qbs.

--Doesn't take advantage of his athleticism. Rarely makes plays w/his feet.

--I questioned his mental toughness in the bowl game. He was getting beat-up by the pass rush. He looked beaten. Poor body language. You need a tough-minded leader.

--Played in WVU's high-flying offense which probably inflated his numbers. Similar to Weeden.

Bottom Line:
Smith has a lot of good tools and I like how his coach said he was a very hard worker, student of the game, and carried that offense. I love his touch and accuracy when he sets his feet. I despise his footwork at times and his mental toughness when the chips are down is a big concern.

I would not draft him at #6. Smith is one of those guys that could make it fairly big and leave a lot of "experts" shaking their heads as to why they didn't have him rated higher. A team who is sitting towards the bottom of round one and has a good, but aging qb, might reap huge dividends by taking this guy. I just think it would be a huge gamble for a team like the Browns [poor current qb and picking high in the round] to make a huge commitment to Smith.

E
Legend
Legend
E
before the Alex Smith deal heard draftnicks stating Geno Smith might go to the Chiefs...lol Talking heads say the darndest things (in my best Art Linkletter voice).

Doesn't justify a top 10 pick. After 10 I think there is a big gap of teams not looking at QB? But in this new Rookie CAP era if you DO NOT HAVE a Franchise QB you got to take the risk which is not as much as before...Contract is reasonable n because he is in the first you get him signed long enough to develop him. So who knows???

All depends on Chud/Norv how they assess him.

I'm telling you dawgs...take a look at this kid Peter Lalich - 5th 6th round pick...It could be the steal of the draft!

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I agree with your assessment, vers

Legend
Legend
Quote:

take a look at this kid Peter Lalich - 5th 6th round pick...

I was reading about him a couple days ago. Very intriguing prospect. Seems to have all the physical tools, just wonder where his head is...

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Here's another, maybe more interesting, view of Pete Lalich...

Swag Champ: The Peter Lalich Story

By Harrison Weinhold on Mar 1 2013, 8:43p

A quarterback's journey from stardom, to failure, and back again.

As he stepped out of the white Toyota Sequoia he's driven since his days at West Springfield High School in Northern Virginia (the same Sequoia I took my first bong-rip in), I realized how impossible it would be for me to separate the Peter Lalich I know as a friend and the Peter Lalich I've watched as a football fan and writer.

While his remarkable 6-foot-5, 240 pound pro-style quarterback frame should certainly be noted, as well as his quiet, eccentric, and seemingly aloof demeanor, I couldn't help but notice his outfit. To a stranger, his style (described to me as "hipster swag") might come off as arrogant or ridiculous, but to me - his clothes tell a story all their own.

Starting at the feet - an old pair of Low top Chuck Taylors, no doubt the same pair from high school, complete with permanent-marker drawings all over the toe and sole from the countless girlfriends and sweethearts. The same shoes he'd be wearing when arrested in Charlottesville, Virginia, for a simple underage possession of alcohol citation that would spell the beginning of the end of his time as the quarterback at UVA.

A pair of Nudie jeans. Price tag: $200. "The raw denims". Way out of my league in terms of jeans, but Peter generally has always been ahead of the game in terms of fashion, music and culture - a byproduct of the eclectic characters he's called friends over the years and his own eccentric personality. To really give you a feel for Peter, when people use the word eccentric to describe him- imagine Johnny Depp or Christopher Walken. Seriously.

An obnoxious hoodie sweatshirt with a giant cat face on the front, a nod to some of his favorite musicians at Odd Future, a hip-hop collective including Tyler, The Creator and Frank Ocean. The sweatshirt is a gift from his younger sister Bonnie who moved out to Los Angeles to be famous. Trust me, she will be.

The vest his mom bought for him when he went to Oregon State matches the pointless balance bracelet on his wrist - the same his dad wears. A journalist looking for a good story could dig into Todd Lalich's basketball career at Florida or his intensity and competitiveness, and maybe draw some comparison to Marv Marinovich - but they would be far off. There was/is never a shortage of love in the Lalich residence - or Bibles or FCA pamphlets.

Finally, around his neck, dangling out of the cat-shirt - a Versace chain. It looks so absolutely ridiculous that I actually say to him "what the . is that?" Price tag: ~ $5,000-10,000.

"It's K.O.'s"

Kevin Ogletree went undrafted out of UVA to the Cowboys and has since made a nice little niche for himself on their roster. The two became friends in the short time Peter was in Charlottesville and have stayed close ever since - apparently close enough to not only loan Pete his Versace chains, but also to bring Peter down to work out with Cowboy receivers during the lockout two years ago.

"I don't know man, the thing about Peter is he's just a pure play-maker," said Ogletree, packing his bags in the hotel room he and Peter shared in Miami while they worked out at Bommarito Performance Systems with other notables such as Frank Gore and Matthew Stafford. "There's something about him where he can get hit and keep going. He stays cool under the pressure".

That's an understatement.

Lalich was a contemporary of Russell Wilson and Tyrod Taylor in high school - all three graduating in 2007. At that time, Peter was the #5 quarterback in the nation and an Elite 11 quarterback - notables of that year being Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Mallett, Jarrett Lee and John Brantley (Russell Wilson was barely blip on anyone's radar outside of the Commonwealth and ACC teams).

Lalich elected to stay in-state and be the Quarterback at UVA after turning down offers from Miami (FL), Michigan, N.C. State and UCLA. He saw time as a freshman and performed well, finishing the year 35 of 61 for 321 yards and 2 touchdowns. He would begin his sophomore year at the starter for the Cavaliers.

The rest, as the cliché goes, is history. A story we too often see end in disappointment.

Pete was arrested for underage drinking and placed on probation before the start of the season. He ended up starting the first two games before a court appearance where he admitted to consuming alcohol while on probation. He was dismissed from the UVA Football team the same day.

"I probably sat in the athletic director's office for two hours screaming and yelling about what a mistake they had made. I couldn't believe they had done this TO ME," Pete's candor is something I've taken for granted on most subjects, but we've rarely delved into his mindset during that time. "My mindset was that I was the victim. It was all about me."

While the politics of the situation at UVA might have pointed to an over-zealous administration hell-bent on ousting an unpopular Al Groh - starting with his golden-boy quarterback - Peter's take on the situation says a lot on how far he's come:

"I wanted to be the 'big man on campus'. I was worried about what other people thought about me. I was trying to be the crazy, cool guy and the football player - and it all backfired on me - twice. I didn't learn my lesson the first time."

Peter's stock was still high enough that Mike Riley at Oregon State immediately offered Peter a scholarship. One year later he would be charged with operating a boat under the influence of alcohol (a charge later dropped). The ensuing 3-game suspension would put Peter out of contention for the starting job for the Beavers. Riley called Peter himself to let him know they had pulled his scholarship.

"I was so into that Oregon mindset by that point, with a girlfriend and everything - I was ready to just give up and be a regular student. It wasn't that I didn't love football I just felt so apathetic about the whole machine and process around it. Reporters in my face and blogs writing crazy things about me - it was getting to me I think."

It was in the midst of this obviously low point in Pete's life when the head football coach at California University of Pennsylvania called up Peter to come be their quarterback. A powerhouse Division II school known for taking the scraps off the Division I and Division IAA schools, Cal-U offered Peter an opportunity back into football and a chance to redeem himself - albeit with humbler surroundings. Peter would redshirt in 2010 and hold the clipboard for Josh Portis, who ended up at Cal-U after transferring from Maryland.

In 2011, his first full season as a starter, Peter would break every single-season Cal-U passing record. Pete would finish 16-4 as quarterback for the Vulcans.

"Peter is the most different, entertaining, fun, quarterback I've ever been around," says Cal-U head coach Mike Kellar.

"I've never seen a guy - if you've seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind" - sometimes I'll leave at night and come back in the morning and that's what my greaseboard looks like in my office: Peter will go in there and draw up 60 plays, and a lot of them would be great ideas if everyone could keep up with Pete - including myself. Man it's hard to tell how many plays we could have had in a gameplan. Extremely accurate - yeah, can make any throw - yeah, but the things I noticed is he can throw from different arm angles, his pocket presence and he's just cerebral as can be - Pete made me a better football coach because of the way he made me look at things in the office"

Through all his trials and tribulations, the one thing that gets lost in Peter's story is his unmatched football IQ and the respect he gained from his coaches as a true student of the game. Ask any of his prior coaches, from coach Riley at Oregon State to Al Groh and his former staff at UVA, they all use phrases (seriously, at least four former coaches have said this, including current Chicago Bears WR coach Mike Groh) such as: "football savant" and "a real life Will Hunting" when it comes to understanding defensive schemes and the quarterback position.

"If Peter spent four years as a starter at UVA, even if he had . seasons, he would be a top 15 quarterback in this draft right now," said a pro scout I spoke with on the condition of anonymity. "He's definitely on some teams' radar, especially in this class."

Depending on what you read - Peter is currently somewhere between the 24th and 30th ranked quarterback in this year's crop of prospects. For the last two months, Peter has been training at Bommarito Performance Systems in Miami, Florida - a veritable who's who of the NFL works out there as well as draft prospects preparing for the combine and their pro-days.

"I've been working with Drew Stanton almost every day just getting my footwork right. Got my pro-day on March 11th and then a regional combine later in March and then an all-star game too. Just a few more chances to show the scouts what I got."

The reality of the situation is that no raw food diet, throwing drills, or 40-yard dash time is going to improve Peter's draft stock. The scouts have seen his tape. They know he can make every pass and is a leader in every locker room he walks into. They know he's a great quarterback, and much higher on everyone's boards than they would like admit. His NFL stock, by his own admission, has less to do with the lack of playing time and being at a Division II school, than it does the bad decisions he made over the course of his college career.

"It's tough, man, but I don't dwell on all that anymore," said Peter, sitting in my living room, critiquing my Madden play and drinking his vita-coca - making a stop for an old on his way up from Miami to his pro-day in Pittsburgh. "I have to focus on the things I'm doing now to just get prepared. I can't let the past haunt me like that."

It was high school when we used to talk about the day when Pete would get drafted. When the whole Oregon State thing went down, I never really brought it up again. All the miserable people who took Peter at face value - a big, dumb jock, who didn't deserve a free education or second chance - "what's Lalich doing these days? Man...that's a shame...what a . up."

Peter's story had become either disappointing anecdote or a punch line to all the people we grew up with. All of that could change in a matter of months.

"The thing about Peter is that he's so confident in his abilities," said Mike Brown, former roommate and teammate of Lalich's at both UVA and Cal-U. "He's a guy who's faced numerous setbacks and remains persistent on his goals, he's the type of guy who would draw up plays and concepts when he was ineligible, because he never lost sight."

"After all, the underdog is the only one who believes he can win before and after he has gained victory."

Never once did Peter let things fall apart the way he could have - the way we see so many others throw away their gifts and abilities. To scratch and crawl his way back into the mind of NFL scouts, Peter has had to work harder and swallow his pride more than most could, given the circumstances. As bad I'd like to go back to the summers we spent at the beach, drawing crowds of people to watch my fat ass chase down Peter's consistent 50 and 60 yard bombs, drinking our parents' booze and lying to girls about my football career - that Peter is long gone.

"Whatever you write, man, just make sure they know I have the most swag in the league and I'm just generally way better than any other quarterback out there," Peter said, laughing and holding his chain out. "You gotta make me look like Tim Tebow."

Well, mostly gone.

I'm probably not qualified to evaluate the true talent of an NFL quarterback (although I will never miss a chance to mention that I played against Peter and Russell Wilson in high school), but I am uniquely qualified to speak on the character and integrity of this specific prospect.

To any NFL decision-makers who might read this - No, Peter is not a Bible thumping Jesus-freak. He's a follower of Christ, no doubt, but also a student of science and philosophy who would rather have a discussion about spirituality with you than pray with you.

As a leader, Peter connects with people on their terms. The most ghetto/urban/hood/rachet guys on the roster will call Peter a "goon". The most country, rural, hillbilly-ass guys on the team will call Pete a "good ol' boy". The most straight-laced, hard-assed coach you can find - will call Peter "fun" and "talented as hell".

As a friend, his loyalty and clutchness is only matched by his ability as a wingman.

This is the story I thought needed to be told. About a kid from Northern Virginia who almost lost it all and his journey to earn it all back. Am I biased? Maybe - but I truly believe that Pistol Pete will be - not could be - will be the next Tom Brady. Yeah, I guess he's eccentric, quiet, poised and, of course, swagged-out, but most of all, he's comfortable in his own skin and a damn good quarterback. As with all special quarterbacks, there's just something about Peter that you can't quite put your finger on.

I'll let Pete speak for himself:

"Yeah I believe I ‘m the best quarterback in this draft, but every guy should think that way. I know I'm different because I've been to the bottom and I worked my way back. There's nothing you can throw at me that I can't handle. I decided a while back that I wouldn't be defined by my circumstances. Now I'm just ready to show that I belong in this league and that I'm the best quarterback. Period."

This is my "told ya so".

hogshaven.com

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I grew up near that school.. It's in Little California outside of Brownsville PA..

They love this kid down there. think he's wacko, but love him just the same. LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ok...is it in California or Pennsylvania...lol

I still say one of our 6th round picks...take a shot the kid could be the steal of the draft.

JMHWhy not!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

We always win those games n get to 5, 6, 7.

It's a conspiracy perpetrated by The Man to keep us down!

I don't know.....

I'd say the Colts pretty much knew Painter would equate to landing Luck in the draft.

It worked for them and the league never said a word! Sometimes last place, in just the right year, pays dividends. The colts figured it out.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Rookie
Rookie
O.K. vers.. first of I agree with almost everything you said here on Geno.

But you mention that he keeps his eyes downfield when pressured as a pro. But then you mention as a concern that he doesn't use his feet to make plays. You can't have it both ways, can you? Just nitpicking.

As a whole I like the kid but do have the same questions that you do. Seems to break down under pressure. Really think his accuracy and throwing mechanics are top notch.

The only two guys in this draft I would take a chance on right now are Tyler Bray and E.J. Manual. They both are no where near ready to start but in two or three years could be. Bray needs to work on the same things Geno does. Breaking down under pressure. E.J Manual needs to polish his game as a whole, but he is the closest thing to Cam Newton in this draft. And Chud did really goods things for Cam.

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Early Thoughts on Gino Smith

Link Copied to Clipboard