Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#760745 03/06/13 12:05 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Figured I would start the Indians only thread. Lets talk some Tribe!

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/ar...le&c_id=cle

Numbers don't lie: Chisenhall starts strong

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Players know not to get too wrapped up in statistics during Spring Training. The sample size is small, the competition is often below big league standards and the focus is supposed to be on preparation rather than production.

All of that said, Indians third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall is enjoying his strong start this spring.

"It's early. I have less than 20 at-bats," Chisenhall said Tuesday. "But I'm happy with where I am right now. I feel comfortable at the plate. Every now and then, I feel a little rusty up there on certain pitches and things like that, but I feel good so far."

During Monday's 13-5 victory over the Cubs, Chisenhall had a busy afternoon at Hohokam Stadium. The 24-year-old third baseman went 3-for-3 with a home run, double and three RBIs. He added three runs scored and one walk in the performance.

Tribe manager Terry Francona was impressed with Chisenhall's fourth-inning single off Chicago lefty Brooks Raley.

"It was nice to see him off a lefty," Francona said. "He's a really aggressive kid. The more he stays in the strike zone, it's not going to matter left or right. He's got a really quick bat. It's just recognizing pitches in the strike zone and swinging at pitches he can do something with. That comes with experience."

In parts of two seasons with the Indians, Chisenhall has hit .260 with a .295 on-base percentage and a .421 slugging percentage in 109 games. Over that span, the third baseman has collected 12 homers, 19 doubles and 38 RBIs. He has hit .227 against lefties, compared to .271 off right-handers.

This spring, Chisenhall has hit at a .471 (8-for-17) clip with two homers and eight RBIs through seven Cactus League games.

Unlike the past two springs, Chisenhall entered camp this year with third base reserved for him come Opening Day. With additions such as center fielder Michael Bourn, first baseman Nick Swisher and designated hitter Mark Reynolds, Chisenhall projects to hit in the lower third of Cleveland's lineup.

"Hitting in the bottom of the lineup, you have the ability to score a lot of runs," Chisenhall said. "Getting on base, you know you have the top of the order coming up to drive you in. I look forward to hitting wherever [Francona] puts me -- most likely seven, eight or nine. We've got a good lineup top to bottom."

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
I think that the addition of real MLB hitters to bat in front of him will really help Chisenhall.

He should see more RBI opportunities, and should see better pitches. I mean, guys like Jason Donald, Jack Hannahan, Matt LaPorta, Casey Kotchman, Johnny Damon, Aaron Cunningham, Brent Lillibridge, and the inimitable Shelly Duncan sure didn't put the fear of dog into opposing pitchers, let alone the fear of God.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Man, Matt LaPorta. Can we hurry up and wash our hands completely of that bust?

Adam_P #760748 03/06/13 02:01 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I agree he has been a bust for us. Sadly, he hasn't been the worst hitter we have trotted out in everyday lineups though.

I'm looking forward to an actual MLB lineup card turned in this season.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
At least LaPorta was hurt ........ the other guys had no such excuses. (except for Damon, who was just old and broken down)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I agree he has been a bust for us. Sadly, he hasn't been the worst hitter we have trotted out in everyday lineups though.

That's primarily because he wasn't good enough to be in the everyday lineup.

Adam_P #760751 03/06/13 09:40 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Wahoo..I mean woohoo a Tribe thread and can people not mention the name that shall not be spoken Aaron Cunnigham ...whoops sorry

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Pepper52 #760752 03/06/13 09:54 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Good news for the Indians today - 4 shutout innings for Masterson. (Even if it does look like a Giants AAA team he faced.) He threw strikes. Also, another perfect inning for Hagadone in relief. He could be huge as a late inning / matchup lefty for this bullpen.

Dave #760753 03/06/13 09:56 PM
All Pro
All Pro
That is good news ..cant wait to watch them on the 17th

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Dave #760754 03/07/13 07:51 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That Hagadone/Hill battle for the final bullpen spot is shaping up pretty well.

Tigers are on the hunt for a closer. I would trade them Perez for Rick Porcello right now, save $3 million in salary, get younger, and improve the rotation instantly.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
logdawg #760755 03/07/13 09:14 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Lots of power arms in the pen, but I'm hesitant to trade Perez. I'm not sure Pestano has the same closer's mentality as Perez. Or slider, for that matter.

In other news, here's an article in todays PD. I'm starting to think that Kazmir is going to make this rotation ...

Scott Kazmir uses a 'B' outing to perfect an 'A' slider: Cleveland Indians Insider

By Paul Hoynes
The Plain Dealer
March 06, 2013

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Left-hander Scott Kazmir's private pitching session went well Wednesday morning on Field 6 at the Indians' training complex. He could tell because his slider was not only sliding, but diving.

Kazmir, competing for the fifth spot in the rotation, asked for and was granted a minor-league setting to get a better and deeper break on his slider because he knew he wouldn't throw it in a Cactus League game if the pitch started to get hit.

He went three scoreless innings, allowing three hits and one walk with five strikeouts.

"I'm definitely getting a better feel for the slider," he said. "I've made some adjustments that have really helped me out as far as getting what I wanted out of the break and making it a little later."

That the Indians granted Kazmir's request speaks well of his chances of being in the rotation on opening day, although Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco, Daisuke Matsuzaka and David Huff will have something to say about that before the Indians break camp March 30.

"He's a veteran," said pitching coach Mickey Callaway. "He knows what it takes for him to get ready. We want him to get ready, however, [the way] he feels he can best pitch. We're glad he's communicating with us on everything."

Kazmir hasn't pitched regularly in the big leagues since 2010, when he went 9-15 with the Angels. The next year he made one appearance for the Angels before being sent to the minors.

Terry Francona still has questions that need to be answered.

"Does he hold his stuff?" he asked. "Does he get better as the spring goes along? Or does he back off? At the beginning of camp, if you had to play a game, he could have gone out there with that stuff and won. That's how impressive he was."

Kazmir has been clocked between 90-92 mph this spring. He said when he's right, he's usually throws his slider between 83-84 and his curve from 77-78.

Dave #760756 03/07/13 10:43 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
all reports are that Kazmir has been great this spring. the real question is going to be if he can keep that fastball up throughout a season since he has been gone so long, but he should make the team.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

all reports are that Kazmir has been great this spring. the real question is going to be if he can keep that fastball up throughout a season since he has been gone so long, but he should make the team.

Sounds like Dice-K is the odd man out?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like Dice-K is the odd man out?

even his "good" year was proven to be more luck than good pitching. i feared that his ties to Francona would get his terrible WHIP ways onto the staff.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'd rather have Kazmir anyway, could use a lefty. Seems like he has done more to win the job too.

Heard on the radio that his absence the last few years wasn't injury related, he pretty much just lost his mojo. So it's not like there is a risk of him re-injuring something.

Either way, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is, and try and hit up a game when I am in town. I am going to try and maybe see them here at the Cell too.

Legend
Legend
I seem to recall reading that his pitch speed had really fallen off ...... but it's back this year.

If so, he could be a huge pick-up for the Indians.

N
Legend
Legend
N
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rafael-furcals-injury-may-force-st-louis-cardinals-162000603--mlb.html

why is Furcal missing the season Tribe Talk? well, we have a certain SS whom we likely will not be able to re-sign and the Cardinals have one of the richest farm systems in MLB.

i know it'd be a departure from the good vibrations signings we have done, but if they are desperate, then I'd still be putting the worm out on the line.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He absolutely is. He's sitting at 83-85 for the most part. He's toast. He's making it work so far in spring, but you cannot trust it.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
logdawg #760763 03/08/13 03:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Man, it would be great if Ubaldo could get himself back on track and be that #1 or #2 starter we thought we were getting when we traded for him.

Ubaldo Jimenez strong in spring win over Giants, hopeful for bounce-back season: Cleveland Indians Insider | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf...t_river_default

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Ubaldo Jimenez was good Thursday as the Indians beat the Giants, 6-4. The one run he allowed in four Þnnings was a sign of that.

A stronger indication was that after his day was done against the Giants, he went to the bullpen at Goodyear Ballpark and threw 15 more pitches to get his required work in. Anytime Jimenez leaves a game with pitches to spare, it's a good day.

Just ask former manager Manny Acta, who watched Jimenez reach the seventh inning in only eight of his 31 starts last season because he threw too many pitches or allowed too many hits and runs.

Jimenez, who on Thursday struck out two, walked none and allowed three hits, says the tempo new pitching coach Mickey Callaway has added to his delivery is helping.

"It is working," said Jimenez. "It's taking all my momentum to home plate. I was stopping during the windup [before] and then I had to start over again. Now I'm trying to stay in one movement."

Jimenez lost 17 games last year. In the last two years, he's lost 30, including 21 since the Indians acquired from Colorado on July 31, 2011.

"I let the team down last year," he said. "The last two years have been really hard. They brought me over here because they believe in me. I haven't been able to show it, but I looking forward to do that this year."

Jimenez can be a free agent after the season. "I don't worry about that," he said. "For me, I need to worry about showing something to the team. I want to show what I can do for them, help them out and win."

Manager Terry Francona liked the way Jimenez controlled the damage when Michael Bourn lost Brandon Crawford's fly ball in the sun for a triple in the fourth. Hunter Pence singled for a 1-0 lead, but Jimenez retired the next two batters.

"When you can limit damage, that's always great," said Francona. "One didn't turn into three or four runs."

Nothing to it: Nick Swisher hit his third homer of the spring, a three-run shot off the batter's eye in center in the fifth inning. Swisher is hitting .524 (11-for-21) with three homers and 10 RBI in eight games.

When a reporter commented to Francona that Swisher just keeps hitting, Francona said, "He better. That's what we got him for. Don't act surprised."

On the mend: Michael Brantley returned to practice after getting spiked Feb. 25 against Oakland and taking 15 stitches in his left forearm. Francona said Brantley is expected to return to the lineup Sunday against Texas.

"We'll give Brantley a couple of days to practice and the probably play him three or four innings Sunday," said Francona. Brantley is hitting .833 (5-for-6) with four doubles in three games this spring.

In other medical news, Francona said closer Chris Perez could start his throwing program Sunday. Perez has been out with a strained right shoulder suffered Feb. 26 against Kansas City.

"Chris has a couple of more days without picking up a ball," said Francona. "Then we'll take another look at the situation. He's doing very well."

Sign 'em up: Eleven Indians who do not have enough service time to qualify for arbitration signed one-year deals Thursday. They included Brantley, Cody Allen, Lonnie Chisenhall, Tim Fedroff, Trey Haley, T.J. House, Corey Kluber, Zach McAllister, Chris McGuiness, Danny Salazar and Bryan Shaw.

Players not eligible for arbitration have until Tuesday to sign or have their contracts renewed at their team's discretion. Unsigned Indians include Jason Kipnis, Scott Barnes, Trevor Bauer, Carlos Carrasco, Nick Hagadone, Frank Herrmann, David Huff, Chen-Chang Lee, Josh Tomlin, Yan Gomes, Juan Diaz, Mike McDade, Cord Phelps and Ezequiel Carrera.

Stay hot: Utility man Ryan Raburn had two more hits Thursday, including a two-run double, to raise his average to .550 (11-for-20) with four homers and 11 RBI.

"Not to get too far ahead of myself, but he's got the kind of swing that plays off the bench," said Francona.

Finally: Herrmann will visit Dr. David Altchek in New York next week to get another opinion on his injured right elbow. Herrmann could be facing Tommy John surgery.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Scott Kazmir was really good in 4 shutout IP for Indians today. 89-93, P inside, delivery restored.

Really hope Kazmir works out. Would really solidify the rotation. I would like him to be the #3, and Myers #5.

Frenchy #760765 03/12/13 07:03 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Watched it this morning. Kazmir was excellent with his cutter and fastball. His slider still wasn't there. He only threw it a handful of times, but I only saw two that worked. That was a little disappointing to me. He needs that pitch to be successful for an extended period of time.

logdawg #760766 03/12/13 08:59 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
What if Ubaldo struggles out of the gate? What if a few months in, we're getting the same results? Do you think they take him out of the rotation or even send him down?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ubaldo has until June, in my mind. At the end of June, Bauer can come up without having any impact on his Super-2 status. I'm guessing Carrasco will stay in Goodyear for a while and pitch out of extended spring training, as he doesn't look like he's got a feel for his pitches yet, in my mind. Say he stays there until May, that gives him a month at Columbus before June and that same timetable. I honestly think that if there's an injury or ineffectiveness to the rotation, Corey Kluber gets the call for a while to start. An ineffective and wild Ubaldo is still probably better than Corey Kluber regularly. Get to about mid-June, and its a different story entirely.

logdawg #760768 03/12/13 11:17 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wonder if Matsuzaka has anything left. Pretty good ERA (2.25), but opponents are hitting .323 against him so far this spring.

Dave #760769 03/12/13 04:35 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Smoke and mirrors. He's been sitting 83-86. He cannot be successful at that speed.

logdawg #760770 03/12/13 04:55 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Smoke and mirrors. He's been sitting 83-86. He cannot be successful at that speed.

he never was truly successful. his peripherals have always stunk.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

he never was truly successful. his peripherals have always stunk.

Bingo.

cfrs15 #760772 03/12/13 05:59 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agreed.

Masterson
Jimenez
Myers
McCallister
Kazmir

I wonder what will happen to Carrasco? I think that he is talent to hold onto somehow. Outside of getting hit in the head, he just had something happen to his elbow, no?

Do we have any minor league options with him? I'm not too familiar on how that whole process works.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/12/13 06:00 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #760773 03/12/13 05:59 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
8.2 K per 9 innings is a pretty good peripheral. He was never a flamethrower, but he must have had something going for him. He won 2 ALCS games and 1 WS game. I wish CC had done 1/3 as well for us in 2007. Point being, he was clutch for Boston, as opposed to Sabathia for us. Its not always about throwing gas.

That said, I agree he can't pitch in MLB if his fastball is 83-86, but maybe he'll find it in his next few outings.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Carrasco and Bauer will be on an innings limit. Kazmir will likely only be good for so many innings as well (due to being out for so long).

Between the 3 guys, hopefully we can get 200+ quality IP this year.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Carrasco and Bauer will be on an innings limit. Kazmir will likely only be good for so many innings as well (due to being out for so long).

Between the 3 guys, hopefully we can get 200+ quality IP this year.

Could be very true. In fact, for any MLB team, you can go through starters quite a bit due to injury. Just don't want to lose Carrasco cause I assume someone like Myers/Kasmir are stop gaps (not so much Kasmir, maybe) and McCallister is somewhat unknown. Carrasco is young and was considered a prospect.

What ever happened to Tomlin?

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I think he had Tommy John surgery a year ago, so who knows if/when he'll make it back.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wonder how Myers gets penciled in automatically as #3 starter? He pitched in the bullpen last year, I think. It occurs to me that we have a pitching staff full of innings-eaters, but man, someone has to win some games. Who's gonna be the 15-17 game winner? Masterson? Ubaldo? Its possible, but not likely. Where is the Ace, the streak-stopper, the Game 1 of the playoffs starter?

Could it be there's another move coming for a starter, maybe involving Asdrubal and Perez?

Dave #760778 03/14/13 07:01 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Have you guys seen the Indians Harlem Shake?

Just saw it on SportsNation, kinda funny. I don't really care of the Indians, I'm a Yankee fan, and now that I'm in ChiTown I'm probably gonna follow the Cubs (that way loyalties don't get messed with)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I must be getting old, because I don't see the great appeal of this stuff.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I don't really care of the Indians, I'm a Yankee fan, and now that I'm in ChiTown I'm probably gonna follow the Cubs (that way loyalties don't get messed with)

Sorry.

I will say that Wrigley is a must for every baseball fan, at least once. After a few times, you get sick of the fact that the place is a dump. The little area around it is great though.

N
Legend
Legend
N
http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/story/...ning-day-roster

Ok, it was expected, but I'm still relieved to see it.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

5-1/3 innings, 2 earned runs from Ubaldo today vs the Brewers. Indians win! Indians win! OMG, the Indians win!

Sorry.

Dave #760783 03/18/13 08:31 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Watched the game. He is still not fixed and the line doesn't show much of the problem. He was all over the place, topped out at about 90 mph. His delivery looks much better and the results were better, but still not what we paid for. Of course, Alex White and Drew Pomeranz have both been terrible, so I guess it was a fair trade.

logdawg #760784 03/26/13 07:58 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Cleveland Indians name Scott Kazmir as their fifth starter; set opening day roster

By Paul Hoynes
The Plain Dealer
March 25, 2013

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- The Indians announced this afternoon that left-hander Scott Kazmir has been named the fifth starter.

Kazmir will be added to the roster on April 6 so he can face his old team, the Tampa Bay Rays. Righthander Carlos Carrasco will start with the big league club and serve a six-game suspension.

In other moves, Jason Giambi was placed on the disabled list with a lower back strain. Pitchers Nick Hagadone and Bryan Shaw will be added to the 25-man roster, along with utility man Ryan Raburn. Yan Gomes and Cord Phelps were optioned to Class AAA Columbus.

GM Chris Antonetti said that outfielder Ezequiel Carrera and left-hander David Huff, both out of options, will not make the 25-man roster and he'll try to trade them. The team originally said they put Frank Herrmann on the 60-day disabled list, but later announced that Carrera had been designated for assignment to make room for Giambi on the 40-man roster. Herrmann, who underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this spring, is still on the active roster.

The Indians will open the season April 2 with the four-man starting rotation of Justin Masterson, Ubaldo Jimenez, Brett Myers and Zach McAllister. There will be eight pitchers in the bullpen including Chris Perez, Vinnie Pestano, Joe Smith, Cody Allen, Matt Albers, Rich Hill, Hagadone and Shaw.

When Carrasco is done serving his six-game suspesnion on April 7, he will be optioned to Class AAA Columbus. When Kazmir is added to the roster, a player will have to be sent down to make space.

Giambi, whose unexpected back injury gave the Indians some wiggle room, can be activated on April 9. He's expected to travel with the Indians when they break camp Saturday.

Kazmir signed a minor-league deal with the Indians on Jan. 8. He'll make $1 million with a chance to earn another $1.75 million in incentives.

In six appearances this spring, including two "B" games, Kazmir struck out 23, walked three and allowed eight earned runs and 29 hits in 21 innings. He'd been nearly flawless until Saturday when Seattle scored five runs on 13 hits against him.

Kazmir has not pitched in the big leagues since 2011 and has not taken a regular turn in a big-league rotation since 2011. Last year he went 3-6 with a 5.34 ERA in 14 starts for the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League.

Carrasco missed last season recovering from Tommy John surgery. He's 2-1 with a 6.00 ERA in five Cactus League appearances, including four starts.

Giambi, 42, signed a minor-league deal with the Indians on Feb. 9. He is scheduled to make $750,000 plus incentives.

This spring, Giambi is hitting .207 (6-for-29) with one double, three homers and five RBI. He is expected to DH against right-handed starters a couple of times a week. He enters the season with 429 homers and 1,405 RBI.

Giambi spent the last three-plus seasons with Colorado.

Raburn signed a minor-league deal which will pay him $1 million with a chance to earn $750,000 in incentives. He's had a great spring, hitting .359 with four HRs and 11 RBI, and is expected to play second and third base and left field.

Here's what the Tribe's 25-man roster will look like come opening day.

-Rotation (4): Justin Masterson, Ubaldo Jimenez, Brett Myers and Zach McAllister.

-Bullpen (9): Chris Perez, Vinnie Pestano, Joe Smith, Cody Allen, Bryan Shaw, Matt Albers, Ken Hill, Nick Hagadone and Carlos Carrasco (serving six-game suspension).

-Catchers (2): Carlos Santana, Lou Marson.

-Infielders (7): Nick Swisher, Jason Kipnis, Asdrubal Cabrera, Lonnie Chisenhall, Mike Aviles, Mark Reynolds, Ryan Raburn.

-Outfielders (3): Michael Brantley, Michael Bourn, Drew Stubbs.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tribe Talk!

Link Copied to Clipboard