Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dave #760785 03/26/13 09:23 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
I keep seeing people think we have a puncher's chance vs. Detroit, so I thought I would put this out here:

Their rotation is still much better than average (and our's) even without Verlander. hate defending Detroit, but better to know now than later (2012 stats):

Name ERA/FIP
Scherzer 3.74/3.27
Fister 3.45/3.42
A.Sanchez 3.74/3.68
Smyly 3.99/3.83
Porcello 4.59/3.91

Masterson had the best FIP of starters on the Tribe in 2012: 4.16 w/ an ERA of 4.93.

And, remember, this is spotting the Tribe Justin Verlander. On offense, the Tigers added Torri Hunter('12 WAR= 5.5) and Victor Martinez ('11 WAR = 2.9) to an offense that already had Miggy, Prince, and Austin Jackson.

It's baseball, anything can happen, but last year, I saw potential pitfalls for the Tigers (bullpen, unproven SP2-5, potentially weak lineup after Miggy & Prince). This season, they still may have bullpen issues. SP2-5 is much more proven, and they have added hitters + Austin proved to be real.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I think Verlander goes for 20 this year.

The Tribe's pitching is reliant on too much potential right now. There isn't much of a given with any of those guys.

I love what the organization did. They finally put forth effort in putting something on the field. I know some of it was due to dead weight coming off the books, but they could have easily just pocketed the money. Give credit where credit is due.

But I still think you're playing with fire when dealing with Masterson who is inconsistent, and Ubaldo, whom I don't need to get into.

I don't want to put a guess on the number of wins, I'm just glad this team is better.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Agreed no_logo. Our rotation remains a HUGE question mark. Still... I'd like to think it can't possiby be worse than it ended up last season... right?

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
N
Legend
Legend
N
the numbers say we went from a projected 69win club (based on last years stats - we actually won 68) to a 77-82 win club.

I think Detroit is a 100win club.

The good thing is that the Rangers, Angels, Rays and Yankees all took a few steps back. The Orioles and Athletics are unlikely to replicate last season. So, the 2nd wild card might be within reach.

That is, if 2 of our pitchers really step up and the rest aren't horrible, the lineup produces a big boost as we hope, including Santana, Kipnis, and Brantley taking big steps forward and Asdrubal having a big contract year.

It is alot to ask. But, I also don't think we'll have the epic horrific end that we did last season. From the end of July to October that team was just unwatchable.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Our rotation continues to be our biggest weakness and I don't think we have anyone else in the AA or AAA pipeline (outside of Bauer) in the near future. And considering we spent a ton of money on offense, not sure the Dolans will dish out more money in 2014 and beyond for FA pitching. But the silver lining is that is IF our pitching can get us somewhere into the 6th inning and beyond with a lead, I think our bullpen is one of the best in the American League.

Carrasco is someone to keep an eye on coming from Tommy John surgery. McAllister (Yankees former prospect) is still somewhat of an unknown but made the #4 spot.

I think we're gonna be disappointed with Brett Myers this year.

Tackles are tackles.
N
Legend
Legend
N
I won't be disappointed with Myers this year because I watched him in Houston and know what to expect (not much).

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
What I think needs to happen for the Indians to win 85+ games and get one of the wild card spots is for either Masterson or Jimenez to finally find "it". Then we'll need a wildcard like Kazmir, Carrasco, or Bauer to catch fire and provide a source of unexpected wins. I have no expectations for Myers or McAlister, other than to eat some innings and hopefully win half the time, or thereabouts. I agree that the Tigers are the class of MLB.

Dave #760792 03/27/13 12:20 PM
L
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
L
not sure if this is a prediction thread, but here's mine....this is the most excited for opening day I have been in many years. that being said, pitching wins games and I just don't see the Tribe with enough of it to hoist a pennant. 82-80 third place in the central.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Indians Opening Day Lineup

1. Michael Bourn CF
2. Asdrubal Cabrera SS
3. Jason Kipnis 2B
4. Nick Swisher 1B
5. Michael Brantley LF
6. Carlos Santana C
7. Mark Reynolds DH
8. Lonnie Chisenhall 3B
9. Drew Stubbs RF

Justin Masterson P

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/ar...le&c_id=cle

Dave #760794 03/30/13 10:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Man, that lineup should produce some runs.

I love having Reynolds, Chisenhall, and Stubbs at the bottom of the lineup, decent power, then speed, and a nice ability to turn the lineup over.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I hope you're right. I'm a little concerned that Bourne, Kipnis, and Stubbs had problems hitting in ST. But I'm pretty sure at least Bourne and Kipnis will be okay. Stubbs could be replaced by Swisher in RF if he struggles, and we'd have to call up someone to DH or play 1B. Or maybe we could put Aviles or Raburn at 1B.

Legend
Legend
Good win. Seemed like everyone was playing their A game.

I'll get it out of the way...

- Masterson is on pace to only have a 1.5 ERA
- Asdrubal is on pace to rack up 324 RBIs
- Brantley is on pace to hit .500 for the whole season
- Perez is on pace to have 162 saves (100% save rate)
- Fracona is on pace to be the first manager to have an undefeated season

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #760797 04/02/13 10:54 PM
Legend
Legend
We're gonna win the World Series!

Looks like the bullpen is in mid season form already.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
That was a fun game to watch! Masterson was a high-wire act at the start, but settled in beautifully. The Bullpen Mafia picked up were it left off and we scored some runs. Doesn't get any better than that!

One down, 161 to go.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Good game, good win. Masterson was hard to watch for a few innings because his stuff was moving so much he couldn't spot his fastball. Once he got straightened out, he looked like a front of the rotation starter. When Perez came in, I admit to having a flashback to last years opener, but he got the job done.

Dave #760800 04/03/13 08:54 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
A Cleveland team over .500!

Good start for the tribe yesterday. Once Masterson settled down, he looked great. I really hope we see him step it up this year.

Man if you can get him and Ubaldo straightened out, this team should really avoid any long losing streaks.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Jeez, what is with Indians pitchers and abdominal / oblique strains. Sucks for Hagadone, he was lights out in ST.

Abdominal injury could put Scott Kazmir on DL: Cleveland Indians Insider

By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer
April 02, 2013

TORONTO -- The Indians did something they didn't want to do Tuesday just a couple of hours before opening the season against Toronto at Rogers Centre.

They added left-hander Scott Kazmir to the 40-man roster and optioned Nick Hagadone, another left-hander, to Class AAA Columbus. So much for manager Terry Francona having an eight-man bullpen for the first week of the regular season and so much -- perhaps -- for Kazmir continuing his comeback story by making his first big-league start since 2011 on Saturday.

Kazmir suffered an injury to his abdominal/rib cage area playing catch during Monday's workout at Rogers Centre. If Kazmir is injured, the Indians had to put him on the 40-man roster Tuesday in order to start the clock running on his time on the disabled list if that's where he lands.

The Tribe's original idea was to wait until Saturday to activate Kazmir, who won the fifth spot in the rotation as a spring-training invitee. It would have allowed Francona to use an eight-man bullpen to make up for the fact that the Indians opened the season a man short because while Carlos Carrasco is on the 25-man roster, he's ineligible because he's serving a six-game suspension dating back to 2011.

Assistant General Manager Mike Chernoff said Kazmir will try to throw a bullpen session Wednesday. The results will almost assuredly determine if Kazmir goes on the disabled list or pitches Saturday against Tampa Bay. If it's the DL, the Indians have a choice of starters at Class AAA Columbus including Daisuke Matsuzaka, Trevor Bauer, Corey Kluber or Joe Martinez. David Huff, who went through waivers unclaimed and was outrighted to Columbus on Tuesday, might even be an option.

Bauer, Kluber and Martinez are on the roster. Matsuzaka and Huff are not.

"You can't backdate a player unless he's on the roster," said Chernoff. "And because we selected Scott to the roster, we have to make a 25-man roster move and that's why we sent down Nick."

Hagadone had an excellent spring, allowing one run in 9 2/3 innings. He struck out 11, walked two and allowed six hits.

Kazmir went 1-0 with a 3.46 ERA in four Cactus League games this spring to win the fifth spot in the rotation. The move leaves the Indians with just one lefty in the bullpen -- Rich Hill.

"We'll just have to wait until he throws his side session and then re-assess him," said Chernoff.

Waiver news: Outfielder Ezequiel Carrera was claimed on waivers by the Phillies on Tuesday. Huff, meanwhile, cleared waivers and was outrighted to Columbus. Huff had no choice but to accept the assignment because it was the first time he'd been outrighted.

"I'm happy Ezequiel got a big-league job," said Francona.

The Indians told Carrera and Huff on March 25 that they were not going to make the club. Since they were out of options, other teams had a chance to claim them once they were put on waivers. The Indians immediately designated Carrera for assignment, but waited until Sunday to DFA Huff because they were trying to trade him.

Carrera hit .279 (12-for-43) with one homer and three RBI this spring. He led the big leagues with 11 steals in 13 attempts. Huff went 1-1 with a 5.82 ERA in nine games, including one start.

Drop the y: The name plate above Ryan Raburn's locker in the visitors clubhouse at Rogers Centre spelled his last name Rayburn.

"They spell it wrong everywhere I go," said Raburn. "I don't care, as long as I'm here."

Raburn made the Indians as a spring-training invitee.

Opening day nerves: Francona has been through a lot of opening days as a player, coach and manager. They all feel the same to him.

"It never changes," he said. "I think I slept from 6 to 8:30 this morning. It's half panic, half excitement, but in a good way. It's like one of the best feelings ever. Even though you're scored or nervous, it's an unbelievable feeling."

Finally: The Indians' most frequent opening day opponent? The White Sox and Tigers. They've played them 29 times each to start the season.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2013/04/abdominal_injury_could_be_scot.html

Dave #760802 04/03/13 11:35 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
the Asdrubal double-play seemed to calm Masterson down along with the rest of the team and it was the first point that I felt "okay, we have this game" as well. Great, great play/game for him.

Masterson was outside the zone too much and not fooling the batters when he did it. he was okay, but certainly not 2011 Masterson. it's just one game, but the first 3 innings he looked like a middle to bottom of the rotation starter. hopefully, he has the opposite of last season (looked great in game1, not so much for the rest). for now, we can say he was shaking loose the cobwebs the first few innings and settled down and the "real" Masterson was from that point forward

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yep. You gotta show you can throw strikes before you can get guys to swing at pitches out of the zone. With the help of his defense, however, Masty was able to limit Toronto to three hits. Being more of a pitch-to-contact pitcher, that's a good start. Hopefully, he'll get it dialed-in as the season progresses.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

the Asdrubal double-play seemed to calm Masterson down along with the rest of the team and it was the first point that I felt "okay, we have this game" as well. Great, great play/game for him.

Masterson was outside the zone too much and not fooling the batters when he did it. he was okay, but certainly not 2011 Masterson. it's just one game, but the first 3 innings he looked like a middle to bottom of the rotation starter. hopefully, he has the opposite of last season (looked great in game1, not so much for the rest). for now, we can say he was shaking loose the cobwebs the first few innings and settled down and the "real" Masterson was from that point forward

That double play ball was the game! I think Toronto would have had a crooked number on the board that inning if it went through Ashtabula.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
We should have a truly exceptional defense this year. We have solid gloves everywhere, and exceptional speed and quickness at most spots.

Kipnis and Asdrubal make a nice double play combination. (and both made nice stops last night) Swisher at first is a huge bonus defensively. Nothing is going to get by him. Our outfield has speed to burn, and can cover like crazy. Chisenhall is probably the weakest fielder in the regular lineup, and he's pretty decent.

Our pitchers should love this ..... because this defense gives them every opportunity to have the best ERA possible. They'll make the routine plays, and many spectacular ones as well.

N
Legend
Legend
N
really our only weak spots on defense are 3B, C, and Asdrubal's range (he has a great glove and arm...his range isn't that great relative to other SS's).

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Asdrubal might be the only SS I've ever seen play with a piano on his back.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Ahem ... Peralta ... a gatepost has better range.

Dave #760809 04/03/13 04:28 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Ahem ... Peralta ... a gatepost has better range.

ugh

How soon we forget.

Legend
Legend
Just wanted to say ......

We're off to a 2-0 start after tonight's 11th inning walk off homer from Mark Reynolds.

Excellent start from Ubaldo tonight. he certainly pitched well enough for a win. Perez blew his 1st save of the year ... but the team still came through in the end.

Michael Brantley went 4-5 to raise his average to .714. Not too shabby. lol

N
Legend
Legend
N
Mark Reynolds is taking Jack Hanahan's April slot nicely. Hopefully, he can hit in the later months too

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

11th inning walk off homer from Mark Reynolds.

Wasn't the game IN Toronto?

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
kingodawg #760813 04/04/13 06:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Well .... yeah ......

OK ... I got a bit carried away.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Hate to sound negative or like I'm some maven of mechanics, because Jimenez did pitch well enough to win, but he still looks like a mess to me.

Dave #760815 04/04/13 08:45 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Hate to sound negative or like I'm some maven of mechanics, because Jimenez did pitch well enough to win, but he still looks like a mess to me.

I thought he did well 6 IP, 3 hits, 2 walks 1 ER.

Although he does have one of the ugliest wind-ups I have ever seen. He looks like me drunk playing wiffle ball when he winds up.

Dave #760816 04/04/13 08:55 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He is always going to look like a mess. That wind up isn't going to change now. But they have been working on him being more consistent in his pace and to trust his 92mph fastball instead of trying to reach back and throw it 97mph.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
FreeAgent #760817 04/04/13 09:15 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wasn't thinking so much of his windup as much as how he finishes. When you think of the classic RH power pitchers like Seaver, Ryan, Clemens - they all drove hard off the rubber and landed compact and square to the plate. Ubaldo looks to me like he opens up early, and his landing foot ends up way over towards the 1B side of the mound and his body kind of lurching towards 1B. It seems like his pitching arm is trailing late behind his body. I've been searching youtube for tape of his good year in Colorado, when he was consistently above 95 MPH, to see if he always threw that way. Again, the disclamer, I've never pitched and I'm not an expert - but I'd love to see someone like Leo Mazzone or Tom Seaver watch him and give him some tips on driving through the ball with his delivery.

kingodawg #760818 04/04/13 09:33 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

11th inning walk off homer from Mark Reynolds.

Wasn't the game IN Toronto?

KING

with our bullpen, it's still a walk-off

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Just wanted to say ......

We're off to a 2-0 start after tonight's 11th inning walk off homer from Mark Reynolds.

Excellent start from Ubaldo tonight. he certainly pitched well enough for a win. Perez blew his 1st save of the year ... but the team still came through in the end.

Michael Brantley went 4-5 to raise his average to .714. Not too shabby. lol

Woohoo!

This team, through 2 games at least, is playing good ball. I haven't seen the wasted at bats, stupid plays on the bases, the offense scratching out 1 run only to have the pitcher give up 4 the next half inning...

A lot of it is the new talent, but man, Tito's gotta have something to do with that. Was Acta really THAT bad? Again, it's only 2 games, but this looks like a totally different team.

And on Perez, i'm not going to blast him just yet. Hitting a mistake 400 feet is something Bautista is going to do about 40 more times this year.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Dave #760820 04/04/13 09:37 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
at this point, you don't want him to completely overwork his delivery. he patterned himself after Pedro and his funky, quick delivery w/o any pitching coach helping and some pitching coaches in the minors helped him at least make sense of it enough to be successful.

it's like Youk's swing. it's messy and ugly, but it tends to get the job done well enough. you mess with it at this point and he'll likely be worse.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Yeah, I mean if you're going to make a change like that, it better be almost right after season's end, so he has all winter to master it.

I still have my doubts about him, but I'd be lying if I said yesterday wasn't promising.

As far as the rest of the game goes, I kinda like that Perez challenged Bautista. He lost the battle, but I think it was still better than pitching around him and putting guys on in a 9th inning scenario. Worst case scenario is that Bautista takes you deep and the game is tied, and you can still get out of the inning with nobody on, and a solid bullpen to go into extras. I think with all the speed we have on offense now, that we should be better in extra innings, with being able to swipe bases and move guys over, etc...

Although Tito was not lying when he said this group was going to strike out a lot. Holy hell he wasn't lying.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah, I was wondring last night if sabermetricians have a stat for strikeouts with men in scoring position with less than 2 outs ... K/RISP<2. We had about 6 last night.

Dave #760823 04/04/13 10:05 AM
-
1st String
1st String
-
I thought it was hilarious and ironic that the guy who caught Mark Reynolds home run in the stadium was the guy putting up all the "K's" on the side of the railing.. It was the first thing I noticed.

-DC- #760824 04/04/13 10:09 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Did you see where that pitch was? Up around eye-high, it looked like. He didn't miss it though.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tribe Talk!

Link Copied to Clipboard