Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
If the Tribe keeps playing like this, attendance will pick up. Kids aren't even out of school yet. If they remain in contention beyond the All-Star break, Progressive Field will be rocking again. Cleveland is a football town, but folks will turn out for a winner.

I feel much differently about the Dolans this year. Nobody can say they haven't made a solid effort to put a quality team together this season. Plus, they've lowered concession prices again. I think they deserve our support. We generally get out to 4-5 games a season. I'm hoping to add at least a couple more (particularly if we're contending toward the end of the regular season). I dropped my Browns season tickets this year, so I'll have more discretionary money to spread around.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
If the fans don't start turning out, though.then the Dolan's will have no choice but to cut payroll and dump players. Noway will they put tons of money that they aren't making into the team. If it drags on far enough, the team will move. It will have to. No teams can financially handle contending, with the costs involved, and having the attendance levels the Indians have.

I think that the Dolans are committed to this year, but next? If we don't see butts in the bleachers, then why should they spend money on the team? This might be the most exciting Indians team I have seen in a decade. If the pitching develops/holds together, this team could be in it for the long haul. I like this team a lot. I just wish I was able to go to games.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
For the last 4 years the Indians have averaged 70 wins, and on average, finished 21 games behind in the AL Central. Any talk of moving is way premature. You think maybe we could contend for more than a few days before we start worrying about attendance? This town sold out 455 games in a row not that long ago, so I have no doubt they'll come out to support a better than putrid team. Things aren't going to change over night, though. It took a few years for the current level of indifference toward the Indians to set in.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

If the fans don't start turning out, though.then the Dolan's will have no choice but to cut payroll and dump players. Noway will they put tons of money that they aren't making into the team. If it drags on far enough, the team will move. It will have to. No teams can financially handle contending, with the costs involved, and having the attendance levels the Indians have.

I think that the Dolans are committed to this year, but next? If we don't see butts in the bleachers, then why should they spend money on the team? This might be the most exciting Indians team I have seen in a decade. If the pitching develops/holds together, this team could be in it for the long haul. I like this team a lot. I just wish I was able to go to games.

Financially, the Indians are fine, they are netting quite the profit. Forbes had them as number one in profit margin.

Attendance money is great, but don't forget they are still getting money from other resources.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Exactly. If the teams starts to contend again on a regular basis, the attendance will be there. If they continue to suck year-in-and-year-out, the Dolans will still enjoy a tidy little profit from all the other income streams they receive.

The team is not going anywhere.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Financially, the Indians are fine, they are netting quite the profit. Forbes had them as number one in profit margin

cmon Sperg, you are better than that. the Forbes article was about as erroneous as this one: http://www.forbes.com/sites/marketshare/2013/04/16/19766/

do you really think that the Indians make the most profit? or is it just that teams like the Yankees hide alot of their profits in their other enterprises YES! network, etc.

now, that being said, I do agree that the Indians are not losing money. however, if there are greater profits to be made elsewhere, then I wouldn't think it out of the realm for them to eventually move.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Maybe they aren't making the most money, but those articles at the very least say the Tribe is doing fine, and probably better than a lot of other franchises.

For the record, I do think attendance should be better this year. I don't want or expect sellouts every night. I wish they could sniff the 30k mark. I think baseball is a sport where if a family, or a group of buddies decide on a whim to head down to the ball yard for a game, they should be able to do so. That was never the case during the 90's run. Season was sold out well before opening day. I think when you get good walk-up crowds, those give you the best atmosphere. Those are people who really wanted to go to the game that day, versus people who bought tickets in advance and possibly were only going because they paid in advance.

I can't tell people how and where to spend their money. It just seems weird because everyone is talking Tribe, especially with how good they have been the last 2 weeks, and yet the attendance is bad.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees truly weren't close to the top of profit margin. The Yes Network basically pays for their ridiculous payroll. They have to revenue share with other teams. They can't sell out their ridiculously priced luxury seats.

I'm sure the Steinbrenner's are doing ok, but I think it's a bad assumption to think they are destroying everyone else in profit simply because they're the Yankees.

kwhip #761033 05/10/13 11:36 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

We can fill Quicken Loans to see a team that couldn't sniff playin' defense under Scott if their lives depended on it, yet we can't get more than 10,000 to see what happens to be a team that has serious promise this year.

The Cavs have been in the bottom third in attendance the past two seasons, averaging just over 16k per game. That's not exactly "filling" a 20.5k-seat arena.

Its going to take more than a month of barely over .500 baseball to get people to start packing the ballpark. Might not happen at all this season. The Indians have to prove that they can be in contention when late August and early September roll around.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees truly weren't close to the top of profit margin. The Yes Network basically pays for their ridiculous payroll. They have to revenue share with other teams. They can't sell out their ridiculously priced luxury seats.

I'm sure the Steinbrenner's are doing ok, but I think it's a bad assumption to think they are destroying everyone else in profit simply because they're the Yankees.

that's the point though. they keep the $$$ in the Yes! Network to make it look like they are not making as much through the team. there are less than 10 teams that could even conceivably keep pace with revenues and, as you noted, the payroll is well-covered (Washington, Boston, LA, Anaheim, SF, Houston --if they get good again--, Chicago Cubs&WhiteSox).

#gmstrong
Adam_P #761035 05/10/13 11:47 AM
Legend
Legend
They put 16,000 butts in a possible 20,500 seats every game on average ........ that's almost 80% capacity. That's for a team that hasn't even sniffed contender status at any phase of any of the past 3 seasons. They have been miles away from the playoffs, even with the crazy playoff structure in the NBA.

Progressive Field has a seating capacity of roughly 43,000. The team is exciting, and on a stretch where they have won 10 of 11 games. They are beating the crap out of the baseball, and have scored at least 6 runs in 8 out of their last 11 games. They are mashing HR at an amazing rate. They are 1 game behind the team generally though to be the best in baseball.

We are averaging 14,103 per game, This is dead last in MLB by a mile. The 29th ranked team, the Royals, is averaging 18,497. The 15th ranked team, Atlanta, averages over 29,000 per game.

It is rather embarrassing that the Indians have had so little support.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It's still bottom-third attendance (the worst teams are still filling to 70% capacity), and a team with arguably the most exciting young player in the league. It's also during the bad weather months, when there is nothing to do.

Yeah, they're on a hot streak. They also started off miserably, were playing games in 40-degree weather, got pummeled by the Yankees and swept by Boston, and have a young, questionable pitching staff who's every bit as likely to get knocked around for a half-dozen runs as they are to give you quality starts. Oh, and they have the seventh-best record in the AL. I don't think it's unfair to ask for a team that's been historically bad since 2007 to show us something for more than two weeks before we start flocking to the ballpark in droves every night.

Adam_P #761037 05/10/13 05:01 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc

I'm probably blowing this way out of proportion, but this weekend series has a playoff feel/vibe for me. For all the hype the Indians have been getting in the past two or so weeks, this three game set will really tell us what we got....we are going up against some tough pitchers at there place with some serious momentum.

Welcome back Bourne!

Go Tribe!

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Cavs played 81 home games instead of 41, how do you think that number would be affected?

Baseball games also take 40% longer than basketball games, which is a huge deterrent for some, especially on weekdays.

Throw in Baseball is in outdoor sport and the rather miserable spring weather isn't exactly helping, attendance is what it is.

I'll start blaming the fans once the team keeps the wheels on for longer than the first 30 games.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

jc

I'm probably blowing this way out of proportion, but this weekend series has a playoff feel/vibe for me. For all the hype the Indians have been getting in the past two or so weeks, this three game set will really tell us what we got....we are going up against some tough pitchers at there place with some serious momentum.

Welcome back Bourne!

Go Tribe!

considering we beat Verlander at his peak in late July to get within spitting distance of the Tigers in late July last year, yes a bit out of proportion.

however, I love the optimism!

#gmstrong
Nas320 #761040 05/10/13 05:12 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
oh, you're just mad because Swisher gives the O-H sign after his HRs

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

jc

Welcome back Bourne!

Go Tribe!

considering we beat Verlander at his peak in late July to get within spitting distance of the Tigers in late July last year, yes a bit out of proportion.

however, I love the optimism!

I know, I know. I'm going a little overboard. It's just that I've been waiting for this series all week....and I don't like the Tigers.

Either way, come Monday, if we win 2 of 3, I'll be geeked.

Tackles are tackles.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

They put 16,000 butts in a possible 20,500 seats every game on average ........ that's almost 80% capacity. That's for a team that hasn't even sniffed contender status at any phase of any of the past 3 seasons. They have been miles away from the playoffs, even with the crazy playoff structure in the NBA.

Their home attendance was 78% capacity this season. 77.5% the season before.

Those are horrible attendance numbers for an NBA team.

PDR #761043 05/10/13 10:16 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Their home attendance was 78% capacity this season. 77.5% the season before.

Those are horrible attendance numbers for an NBA team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

not good, but not horrible. we are ranked 29th in percentage, but the entire bottom third in the NBA is grouped together very closely (except the Pistons who are a Tribe-like drop down from everyone else).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I had to do a double take to see if I was in the Tribe thread, but I understand. Not a good game tonight.

They Crushed Kluber!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Yeah, tonight was UGLY.

It was one game though.

Legend
Legend
Just one game. I was saying the same thing tonight.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yep... tomorrow is another day.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have always been a San Francisco Giants fan, since the days of Mays, McCovey and Marichal ... but I always watch the Indians and I have to say they are a great watch this year, I would love to see S.F. and the Indians come October ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
PastorMarc #761049 05/11/13 09:52 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I hate it when managers pull pitchers that are pitching well.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Whewww, that one was a heart stopper. Sometimes I think Perez just likes to make it dramatic or something, seriously. And of course the top of the lineup had to turn over with Cabrera! I love it, great win tribe and great pitching Ubaldo!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Whewww, that one was a heart stopper. Sometimes I think Perez just likes to make it dramatic or something, seriously. And of course the top of the lineup had to turn over with Cabrera! I love it, great win tribe and great pitching Ubaldo!

Way to hang on! Wow!

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Hat tip to Ubaldo for his 3rd straight solid outing. Indians now 4-1 vs former Cy Young winners. Mcallister goes against Porcello today in the rubber match. It seems to me we've hit him pretty hard in the past. There's a chance we come home tied for first.

Dave #761053 05/12/13 07:39 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My favorite stat of the year, so far: Cy Young winners' numbers against the Indians are-

36.2 IP, 52 H, 36 R, 33 ER, 16 BB, 36 K, 9 HR; ERA 8.10, WHIP 1.85, 1-6 record.

That's RA Dickey, David Price, Jake Peavy, Bartolo Colon, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Justin Verlander.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
logdawg #761054 05/12/13 07:50 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Oops, totally forgot Cliff Lee, but Colon won a CYA? I must have been asleep that year. It is an impressive stat, though.

Dave #761055 05/12/13 10:10 AM
Legend
Legend
Colon won the Cy Young in 2005 with the Angels.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Great win today ... first place on Mothers' Day. Took the series from the vaunted Tigers. Giddy-up!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Awesome win this afternoon. We're getting contributions from everybody. Nice to give Perez (and my heart) a break!

-- Mark Twain [/color]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Wow. What an ending. Even if the Tribe lost today's game, that was still one of the best three-game sets I've seen in awhile. We pretty much played toe-to-toe with the team everyone expects to win the division. I know it's early but this series has to be a motivator for the team.

On to the double header tomorrow....anyone hear what happened to CP?

Tackles are tackles.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The overall effort and output from the team recently has been outstanding. You can't really ask for much more. Guys are stepping up all the time and contributing for RBI's when there are 2 outs and when the tribe needs it most. Especially Reynolds, now that guy has been a gamer!!!

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wish our pitching would get better! All inall im verry happy.

shotty66 #761061 05/12/13 05:31 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The nice thing about the pitching though (still a little too early to say for certain) is Ubaldo looking a hell of a lot better and Kazmir appearing to get stronger with his velocity up. If those guys really start nailing things down and getting back to their old forms who knows what could happen.

-Charles Bukowski
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/k

Just wanna say I was wrong about signing swisher, was against it when it happened, thought he was a loud mouth show off, but I was so wrong, he gives this team an energey we've long needed he keeps the guys lose in the dugout and is real. Thank god I was wrong......GO TRIBE

PS we need to sign Reynolds to a 2-3 year deal...LOL..Hope Im right about this..

ClayM57 #761063 05/12/13 05:35 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree about Reynolds, even though we got burned by the Hafner signing. I read somewhere - maybe here - that Reynolds wants to test free agency after this season, so he'll probably be somewhere else next year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wow. What an ending. Even if the Tribe lost today's game, that was still one of the best three-game sets I've seen in awhile. We pretty much played toe-to-toe with the team everyone expects to win the division. I know it's early but this series has to be a motivator for the team.

On to the double header tomorrow....anyone hear what happened to CP?

I have seen columns with the Tigers as the best team in baseball ...... so we just took 2 out of 3 from the best, in their home park. Gotta love that.

Perez probably got the day off today so he can be ready for tomorrow's double header against the Yankees.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tribe Talk!

Link Copied to Clipboard