Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm, if only negotiating w one on day 2, how many more do you think we'll actually get?

And I sure would like to know what's up with Dawson...

NFL saying Sean Smith currently negotiating somewhere. Banner saying they're currently negotiating with someone...

He'd be a great fit to put across from Haden

(can we also then get Clemons for S?)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

(can we also then get Clemons for S?)

We'd have to trade for him at this point. That guy's staying in Miami (Chris Clemmons)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

BTW: In case you never noticed, Grossi is a moron!

He really is a class A dumbass, living in his own world. Never lets the facts get in the way of a good story and forms opinions based on wild delusions.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
missed that one. darn.

(thanks for the info)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Welker "seriously considering" leaving Pats

the fact that he's saying that means he's desperate to stay. FA opened yesterday, so it's obvious NE is willing to let him test the market.

Sounds like this may actually happen.
Brady to Manning. That doesnt suck!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Primarily due to FA, gotta love the fact that the Ravens may lose 7 of their 11 starting defense.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can Pollard play free safety?

#gmstrong
CalDawg #762039 03/13/13 04:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Guys supposed to be a real jerk. Cut by 3 teams in a very short amount of time.

He's probably my number two least liked player in the league. Number one being Harrison. Everyone he hits seems to get injured and he flies around with his helmet down.

I just can't go with Bernard Pollard

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Broncos after Welker?

Signing is very likely

If this happens, Manning will be very happy. He's a great fit over there in Denver and gives Peyton an easy quick slot outlet.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So, in other words, he will be the only person Manning throws to in the playoffs.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
...and ESPN will set up a 24-hour on-site reporter in Denver for the entire 2013 season. And you thought the NY Jets coverage last season was awful.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

So, in other words, he will be the only person Manning throws to in the playoffs.

Until the temperature dips below 40...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

J/C

Harrison to the Ravens?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/enemy-lines-lb-harrison-ravens-191013914--nfl.html

How annoying would THAT be...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Pat Sims visiting Raiders

Might as well get some Bengals out of the division...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It would at least still allow me my dream scenario of he and Roethlisberger taking each other out of the game on the same play.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I LIKE that optimism...

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I would definitely like Smith over Lewis. I was never very high on Lewis and felt like Cortez Allen was the best DB for crapburgh besides Troy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c

Primarily due to FA, gotta love the fact that the Ravens may lose 7 of their 11 starting defense.

I take the opposite viewpoint, Memphis. Team affiliation aside, this sucks! What if this happened to your team? It's hard enough to build a really good team; it's even harder to keep it together. Maybe we should give the mega contracts to Management instead of the players, for the job they do to field the best possible team for us fans...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Guys supposed to be a real jerk. Cut by 3 teams in a very short amount of time.

He's probably my number two least liked player in the league. Number one being Harrison. Everyone he hits seems to get injured and he flies around with his helmet down.

I just can't go with Bernard Pollard

Maybe you just misunderstand him:

Lifting the Veil on Baltimore Ravens Safety Bernard Pollard
By
Andrea Hangst
(AFC North Lead Writer) on January 31, 2013

Of any position in the NFL, that of the safety is the most shrouded in mystery. To play it, one must act on instinct more than any of the other men on the field, reacting in a split second to what the opposing offense does.

Safeties need to prowl the middle of the field, taking on running backs, receivers and tight ends in space as well as working closer to the line of scrimmage to blow up running plays and even rush the passer.

Considering all of the complex duties required of a safety, it's a position best played by those with experience, and that's certainly the case for the Baltimore Ravens' Bernard Pollard, the seven-year veteran who is in his second season in Baltimore.

Pollard is an X-factor in this Sunday's Super Bowl matchup against the San Francisco 49ers, and his reputation as being one of the most dangerous men in the league provides his team with both a mental and physical edge. But where did this reputation come from, and is it warranted?

If Pollard were a professional wrestler, his nickname could very well be "the Patriot Killer," considering the series of devastating injuries he's inflicted on members of the New England Patriots. And with Pollard's history of outspokenness, he may also be pretty good on the microphone, too.

In his seven years in the NFL, Pollard has been with three teams—the Kansas City Chiefs, the Houston Texans and now the Ravens. Though he's made a name for himself on the field—with 585 combined career tackles, nine sacks, 13 forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries and nine interceptions—it has yet to be enough to get him to the Pro Bowl or land him a spot on an All-Pro roster.

However, that doesn't downplay the impact he's had on the league—in some ways changing the face of the game as we know it today.

Let's go back to that "Patriot killer" moniker that Pollard has conspicuously earned over the course of his career. It all started on September 7, 2008, in the season opener between Pollard's Chiefs and the Patriots. Pollard went after New England quarterback Tom Brady on a blitz, was momentarily held up but managed to get to Brady low.

The result? Brady's season came to a quick end with a torn left ACL, Matt Cassel took over at quarterback, and the Patriots missed the playoffs, though they ended the year with an 11-5 record. In fact, Cassel's performance in substitution for Brady actually landed him a starting job the next season with—interestingly enough—the Chiefs.

Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker's torn ACL the following season can also be traced to Pollard. Pollard, this time with the Texans, again went low, and Welker's attempt to keep his leg out of the line of fire caused it to plant and move unnaturally, tearing the ligament.

Pollard's latest big hit on a Patriots offensive player knocked Stevan Ridley out cold and resulted in a fumble.

Pollard was also the tackler on the play that caused Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski to sprain his ankle in last year's AFC Championship Game and his helmet-to-helmet hit on Patriots' running back Stevan Ridley in this year's AFC title contest knocked Ridley unconscious and out of the game.

The reverberations of the injury to Brady, in particular, have altered the NFL in major ways. First, it resulted in a new rule that forbids pass rushers from going after the knees of quarterbacks, designed to protect signal-callers them from the kind of ACL injury that Brady suffered. The second, however, is more circuitous but no less impactful.

The switch from Brady to Cassel not only helped raise Cassel's cache as a starting-caliber quarterback, which led to him getting the job in Kansas City, but it also elevated then-Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to being a head coaching candidate, and indeed, he landed that very job with the Denver Broncos.

That triggered another series of events: McDaniels tried to acquire Cassel for Denver, which upset then-Broncos starting QB, Jay Cutler. The subsequent trades and draft picks that both the Patriots got for Cassel and the Broncos got for first Cutler and then receiver Brandon Marshall (who absconded for Miami after Cutler was traded) led to the Broncos landing quarterback Tim Tebow in the 2010 draft.

In the following season, Denver's starting quarterback Kyle Orton was benched in favor of Tebow, resulting in Orton later being waived. Cassel suffered a season-ending injury at the hands of Denver's Von Miller, Orton became the Chiefs starter and Tebow Time in Denver was on.

Yes, in a certain sense, Pollard is responsible for Tebow Mania sweeping the nation in 2011. There's even a handy flow chart that breaks it all down.

Despite how well Pollard has played—he ranked in Pro Football Focus' top 30 safeties this season and in the top 10 last year—his name seems synonymous with nothing more than dirty play. Just last month, Pollard was fined $15,250 for a hit on Welker in the AFC Championship Game, bringing his total fines on the 2012 season to an even $100,000.

However, polls of his peers suggest his reputation is unwarranted. Pollard's name did not show up on Sports Illustrated's 2011 list of the NFL's dirtiest players nor in a similar player poll conducted by the Sporting News in 2012, despite all of the serious injuries and damaging hits attributed to him. One spectator's dirt is apparently an NFL player's idea of doing a good job.

Pollard's repeated fines notwithstanding, there is an inherent element of danger not just in playing in the NFL, but especially when playing the safety position. The nature of the position requires making plays in space, which turns safeties into roaming missiles, with tackles coming out of nowhere and at full speed.

The potential for fine-inducing hits as well as significant injury is high for those who are matched up against safeties as well as for the safeties themselves. What safeties do looks more devastating to viewers at home and in the stands than with other positions just because of how the job is done, and not because the men who play the position are inherently "dirtier" than their defensive (or offensive) counterparts.

That being said, it's not just Pollard's style of play that have people divided about him. He has a personality to match his aggressive on-field works, which manifests itself in different ways.

In one sense, he's a fiery leader—which has been of major benefit to the Ravens particularly this year, with a number of their defensive veterans like Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs dealing with injuries that have kept them sidelined at various moments—but in another, he's simply a bit too brash. To me, he's eccentric, a trait I've found common among safeties in the NFL.

Just take this past week alone. The run-up to the Super Bowl is a media-feeding frenzy, with every player on both teams getting his fair share of overwhelming scrutiny. Pollard is no exception to this, and the myriad stories that have come out about him in the past few days alone help shed a light on why some revile him, why some revere him and why most everyone can at least tell there's something a little different about him.

Last week, Pollard told CBS Sports' Clark Judge that he doesn't expect the NFL to even be in existence in 30 years, not just because of the safety initiatives being pushed by current commissioner Roger Goodell (which, some players have complained, is making the game "soft" and potentially alienating fans as a result), but because he thinks that the emphasis on coaches wanting players to be bigger, stronger and faster will result in a death on the field, saying, "I just believe one day there's going to be a death that takes place on the field because of the direction we're going."

Bernard Pollard thinks the NFL won't be around in 30 years.

Pollard stood by his statements at Super Bowl Media Day this past Tuesday, though he also added that some of the moves Goodell and league owners want to make or have made to increase player safety have also changed the game for the worse, considering it doesn't alter the fact that big hits will always happen and players will always be getting stronger and more specialized. He also added that he wouldn't want his now-five-year-old son to play football.

Then there was the New York Times' profile of Pollard, which painted him with a broader brush than just being "that guy who hurt all those Patriots."

There's the revelation that beyond the "Bonecrusher" nickname he earned from his time in college at Purdue, he also refers to himself as "Chocolate Therapy" because of his dance moves. There was the story that when the Baltimore press gave Pollard the "good guy" award in 2011 (handed out to sports figures who are the most accommodating to journalists) they also gave him a pair of boxer shorts, because he apparently prefers to do postgame press completely nude. As for his on-field screaming, that's just the way that Pollard communicates, apparently even on the phone, according to his former Texans teammate Ryan Moats.

Presenting Bernard "Chocolate Therapy" Pollard.

Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith found something interesting to report on about Pollard during his media day interviews—his apparent aversion to germs. Prompted to expand on his teammate, nose tackle Haloti Ngata said that Pollard is the highest-maintenance member of the team. Pollard gave a little screed about hygiene:

My teammates tend to get upset with me because I carry my hand sanitizer, I carry my disinfectant wipes, my baby wipes. When you sneeze, I tell you to cover your mouth, and when you cough, I tell you to cover your mouth. If you pick your nose, I tell you not to touch me. They don’t like that.

But it ultimately all comes down to what Pollard does on the field. And if you ask him, he's certainly not a dirty player. In speaking to Josh Innes and Rich Lord on KILT in Houston this week, he defended how he plays the game:

I'm just doing my job. I'm an old-school player. I enjoy the game of football [...] Some people are actually saying, ‘You hit too hard or you're trying to injure guys.' Those are not my intentions. My intentions are go out there and play football, and I just so happen to hit hard playing football.

Indeed, hard hits are part of the game, and those who hit the hardest are going to get the greatest attention—from coaches, from fellow players, from fans and from the league, sometimes in the form of fines. What has come of those hard hits have helped define how Pollard is viewed as a player and why we now know he hates germs and doesn't like to be interviewed clothed.

It's why he seems so scary on the field, but in reality he's just the same as everyone else—complex, opinionated, a little strange. And it's why we can all assume he'll make a game-changing play in this Sunday's Super Bowl.

Because that's just how he does his job.

Link

#gmstrong
CalDawg #762053 03/13/13 04:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sign him....Today.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I take the opposite viewpoint, Memphis. Team affiliation aside, this sucks! What if this happened to your team? It's hard enough to build a really good team; it's even harder to keep it together. Maybe we should give the mega contracts to Management instead of the players, for the job they do to field the best possible team for us fans...

If the Browns won the Super Bowl in 2013, I wouldn't mind it all at. We won. You pick up the pieces and move forward. The Ravens may not win a SB this next season, but they'll always have the SB trophy in the case. That's scoreboard.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
CalDawg #762055 03/13/13 04:32 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
So if I read that novel, I come away realizing.....?

CalDawg #762056 03/13/13 04:33 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Or this.....

“Mutiny” may have been a factor in Pollard release

A string of surprising moves in Baltimore extended on Wednesday to a player who supposedly was safe.

Safety Bernard Pollard is out, and everyone is wondering why.

As one league source said in response to the news, “Three teams in how many years. Soon four. What does that tell you?”

Another source says that Pollard has a reputation for being outspoken, for complaining, and for drawing too much attention to himself. He wears on a team, with his talent keeping him around for a second year or third year.

More specifically, we’re now getting the clear impression that last year’s incident that, as reported by Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, was “practically a mutiny,” has contributed to the departure of Pollard — and could result in more players being purged.

And he’s where it gets really interesting. (Or at least less uninteresting.) Silver specifically mentioned Pollard and Ed Reed as instigators of the mutiny.

Coincidentally, we’re now getting indications that the Ravens don’t want Reed back.

So while coach John Harbaugh handled a difficult situation very well at the time (as evidenced by the team’s Super Bowl trophy), it looks like Harbaugh may have decided that, at the appropriate time, he’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/mutiny-may-have-been-a-factor-in-pollard-release/

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC: Looks like Dustin Keller is probably going to the Dolphins. Sucks, I wanted him on our team. I guess Brandon Meyers or Fred Davis is the guy to look for. May be Kevin Boss?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-with-dolphins/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So if I read that novel, I come away realizing.....?

He hit's like a . and makes no apologies for it.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c
From a fairly reliable source. The good Captain may take the corner opposite Joe
on the good ship Brownie. Nothing concrete yet but hear there's some serious talk.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wouldn't me be more of a slot guy?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c
From a fairly reliable source. The good Captain may take the corner opposite Joe
on the good ship Brownie. Nothing concrete yet but hear there's some serious talk.

Nice, but the guy's kinda short. I'd like a bigger guy to play opposite Joe. Like Sean Smith, DRC, Talib. I'm going with Smith because he doesn't seem to have the issues the other two have

Something more like the duo of Revis and Cromartie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Nice, but the guy's kinda short. I'd like a bigger guy to play opposite Joe. Like Sean Smith, DRC, Talib. I'm going with Smith because he doesn't seem to have the issues the other two have

Something more like the duo of Revis and Cromartie

isn't he like 5'8 and lacks a big vertical leap?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Legend
Legend
N
captain at the nickelback is fine with me. starter? ugh. at least Boldin is out of the division.

let's hope that we go after Sean Smith.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Unlike smith and talib who i'd prefer.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
4 teams (NOT us) in play for Nnamdi A.

49ers, Broncos, Cardinals, and Texans.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He also hunts, runs down, and kills wild pigs with a knife. Or was that Veikune, the LB Mangini took ahead of Kruger?

Neither, that was payton Hillis wasn't it?

No. It was Maiava.

Ok,, But I thought Hillis did some wild boor hunting as well.. I guess I may be wrong.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
CalDawg #762067 03/13/13 04:59 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Can he play his position at a high level? Yes. Has he done anything illegal? No. Does he play to win? Yes. Is he going to sing kum ba yah? No.

Sounds like a player I'd sign in a heart beat. You want mean nasty safeties and him and ward would have passes at the middle scared for their life. I'd love watching it 8)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He also hunts, runs down, and kills wild pigs with a knife. Or was that Veikune, the LB Mangini took ahead of Kruger?

Neither, that was payton Hillis wasn't it?

No. It was Maiava.

Ok,, But I thought Hillis did some wild boor hunting as well.. I guess I may be wrong.

He hunted Mangini?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Just perused the Rats forums. Pretty funny how their formerly vaunted players all becoming nothing but scrubs once leaving their team.

I wish them nothing but misery for years to come.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
But he's a little guy that can hit

I'd welcome Munnerlyn with open arms. He does have more value as a slot/spot starter, but he also started 25 games the past 2 seasons and was ok....signing him first would leave us flexible throughout this offseason...we could either draft a guy in the 1st or 3rd to add to the mix or wait for some bargain on one of the starting caliber guys that didn't get the offer they were looking for

Toler got 15mil over 3 years and is a no2-3 tweener too, though with more size and upside, so my guess would be that Munnerlyn could be had for 3-4.5mil/year, depending on the length of the contract and guaranteed money. 4 years for 15mil looks about right to me

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
These corners (Rodgers-Cromartie, Lewis, Cason, Smith, and Talib) are just playing a giant game of chicken right now. Once one of them signs they will all go quickly. They are just looking for something to base their contract on.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency III

Link Copied to Clipboard