Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Browns Workout Trick-shot Kicker Havard Rugland

TonyGrossi Per source, #Browns worked out video trickshot artist Havard Rugland of Norway today to replace Phil Dawson..Rugland is 6-2 and 245..

http://www.espncleveland.com/common/page.php?pt=grossi&id=151

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jDwbjHV8jLo

Phil who?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well we are in good hands...Lombardi is the best FG evaluator

I assume he is not in the draft n we can SIGN him as we type here! Why not - it doesn't mean he makes our final 53 Roster...but I wonder if he would do both...PUNT n KICK saving a Roster spot for another! Could be a special thing. Also would have our Back UP QB (Colt?) as the HOLDER the way I've always thought it should be!

JMHO Why NOT?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Rookie
Rookie
J/C

I posted this vid before as a suggestion to replace Phil but never thought they would look at him. Im glad they are.

Re: Phil Dawson to 49ers [Re: Versatile Dog]
#1022863 - Wed Mar 20 2013 10:29 AM
Reply Quote

Good luck Phil, you will be missed. our new kicker

http://www.youtube.com/v/jDwbjHV8jLo

J/K, but cool vid.

--------------------
Here we go again

Last edited by SGTB; 03/22/13 10:29 AM.

Here we go again
R
Legend
Legend
R
Here's the thing that is ticking me off about the DBs and FA in general.

If it wasn't spelled out, it was pretty much implied that Haslam is one competitive SOB and the legacy of mediocrity was not only going to stop being tolerated, but we were going to see a quick turnaround with this group. We were pretty much told in no uncertain terms that the old regimes have no idea what they were doing, but this one will.

But I'm seeing the same approach and style with these guys that we've seen in the past. And now we have Haslam making a comment something to the effect of "it's not like we are 13-3 team ... " or something like that ... don't remember it exactly. I cannot tell you how infuriating reading that was. Guess it was harder than you thought, Jimmy boy?

While I have no issues with the dismissal of Holmgren and Shurmur, this new regime doesn't seem to be much different to me so far.

I think their mouths have written checks they won't be able to cash. They might get saved by Chud and Co. with the product on the field, and they will certainly be saved from the foundation that Heckert put in place ... while getting all the credit ... but what have they done so much different than those regimes in the past?

We were left to believe mediocrity was not to be tolerated and that the ship was going to be righted ... but then they preach the same build through the draft philosophy as the previous regime while being very dollar conscious in FA. Then we get double talk with the whole '13-3' thing.

I'm not preaching being irresponsible. I just see business as usual in Berea. Regime A, Regime, B, Regime C ... put masks on them. They are all the same.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Why NOT?

From the looks of that vid, he would never miss a FG no matter where it was from, and he would always put his punts out at the one. Why not indeed!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If it wasn't spelled out, it was pretty much implied that Haslam is one competitive SOB and the legacy of mediocrity was not only going to stop being tolerated, but we were going to see a quick turnaround with this group. We were pretty much told in no uncertain terms that the old regimes have no idea what they were doing, but this one will.

Yeah, it does kinda feel that way to a point doesn't it. but then I realize something, spending just to spend, doesn't get you out of the hole. In fact, it could very well put you in a bigger one.

So, being selective can be a good thing.

I also think there may be another plan that we don't see in the works. Like trading down our 1st rounder to pick up a 2nd this year and another next and maybe more.

I'm wondering if they are positioning themselves for the next draft where there is supposed to be another crop of good QB's. I mean just in case. And if Weeden works out, great, then they'll have an extra pick to fill another need elsewhere.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Yeah, sign him and draft Brad Wing and we'll have the most-unlikeable kicker-punter tandem in the league!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

J/C

I posted this vid before as a suggestion to replace Phil but never thought they would look at him. Im glad they are.

Re: Phil Dawson to 49ers [Re: Versatile Dog]
#1022863 - Wed Mar 20 2013 10:29 AM
Reply Quote

Good luck Phil, you will be missed. our new kicker

http://www.youtube.com/v/jDwbjHV8jLo

J/K, but cool vid.

That is some pretty cool kicking. It's pretty darn windy when he kicks those 5 50 yard Field goals. Glad to see them looking at him.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
The PD says that they had him in for a visit, but that he doesn't fit the parameters of a free agent we would normally look at. He is 28, and I would bet that the team will look for a much younger guy they can keep for many years to come.

Plus, normally your kicker kicks off as well, and we have no idea how he would do helping to cover kickoffs. I do have to admit, though, that his ability to drop a placekick so precisely where he wants it is impressive, and would help with coverage immensely. That's a big plus.

However, I just read a blurb that another concern, besides age, is that he takes more than the 2-3 steps most place kickers take leading up to a FG try. That can be a problem as well.

I still get the feeling that the FO will pass on the guy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Brownoholic #764934 03/22/13 07:07 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Browns will interview Victor Butler

Link

"Butler will visit with the Browns on Monday, according to a source. The Browns beat out the Saints earlier in free agency as Cleveland outbid New Orleans to land highly sought linebacker Paul Kruger."

An update from MKC says it will be a Sunday interview.

Along with the other players already brought in, and players not re-signed, this team may end up being even younger than last year!

For the record...I'm not opposed to that at all.

Here's a couple things to consider....They've signed Kruger, Groves, and are bringing in Butler. Maybe they aren't as sold on Sheard as an OLB as many initially thought. Yes, Butler has been a reserve and we certainly need depth, but we are not being shy about OLBs. Also, maybe we aren't sold on the available OLB draft possibilities at #6.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/22/13 07:14 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok....a 28 year old kicker. So we'd only be able to keep him 12-14 years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Legend
Legend
With Banner we would only be able to keep him for two years

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Yep, I agree LOL!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe they aren't as sold on Sheard as an OLB as many initially thought

Or maybe it has nothing to do with Sheard. Maybe they just want depth.. Nothing, not a thing wrong with that.

Remember, when asked about Sheard,, Chud didn't skip a beat, he said he'll play OLB.. No hesitation whatsoever.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

+1

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Damanshot #764942 03/22/13 08:51 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Or maybe it has nothing to do with Sheard. Maybe they just want depth.. Nothing, not a thing wrong with that.

Remember, when asked about Sheard,, Chud didn't skip a beat, he said he'll play OLB.. No hesitation whatsoever.

Of course he said he'll play OLB. Where else would he play in this 3-4? He never said he'd start.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course he said he'll play OLB. Where else would he play in this 3-4? He never said he'd start.

Ok you wanna go with the conspiracy factor,, be my guest. but before you do that, go back and find that presser where it was discussed, take his words IN CONTEXT..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, I agree LOL!

I guess pointing to the Norwegian phenom's Twitter page isn't a legit source. LOL

C
Legend
Legend
C
Butler would be a great signing. He has played part time in a 3-4 previously and has had some success. He will come cheap and give us depth.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just saying that he doesn't fit the normal profile for Banner.

Further, evidently he has an extra step in his FG kicking technique that he would need to lose somehow. That extra step could be the difference between getting a kick blocked, or not.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

cfrs15 #764947 03/22/13 10:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Butler was my number 1 FA target. Even over Kruger. Hope he signs. But if he does I see us trading Sheard for a late 1st early 2nd round pick.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

While I have no issues with the dismissal of Holmgren and Shurmur, this new regime doesn't seem to be much different to me so far.

I'd have agreed with this BEFORE the hiring of coaching staff & free agency moves. After that, I have to say they're light years apart.

The old guys didn't do squat in free agency but the new guys get criticized for not impulse shopping for reaches and lateral moves after starting out super aggressive and nabbing the guys they wanted most....

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Browns will interview Victor Butler

Link

"Butler will visit with the Browns on Monday, according to a source. The Browns beat out the Saints earlier in free agency as Cleveland outbid New Orleans to land highly sought linebacker Paul Kruger."

An update from MKC says it will be a Sunday interview.

Along with the other players already brought in, and players not re-signed, this team may end up being even younger than last year!

For the record...I'm not opposed to that at all.

Here's a couple things to consider....They've signed Kruger, Groves, and are bringing in Butler. Maybe they aren't as sold on Sheard as an OLB as many initially thought. Yes, Butler has been a reserve and we certainly need depth, but we are not being shy about OLBs. Also, maybe we aren't sold on the available OLB draft possibilities at #6.

From PFT

Victor Butler leaves Saints without contract

Posted by Mike Florio on March 22, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT For a change, the Butler didn’t do it.

Specifically, free-agent linebacker Victor Butler didn’t sign a contract with the Saints. According to Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Butler concluded his visit to Louisiana without becoming a member of the local NFL team.

Per Holder, Butler will be visiting the Browns on Monday. Last week, the Browns outbid the Saints for the services of linebacker Paul Kruger.

Butler also has visited the Steelers.

The Saints are in the process of retooling their defensive personnel to accommodate the switch to a 3-4 defense.

Jester #764950 03/22/13 11:10 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Butler was my number 1 FA target. Even over Kruger. Hope he signs. But if he does I see us trading Sheard for a late 1st early 2nd round pick.

Why would we trade Sheard prior to the draft? If he has any potential at all, I would think that we would first see how he performs in the 3-4, and then decide whether or not to keep, or trade, him.

Damanshot #764951 03/22/13 11:30 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok you wanna go with the conspiracy factor,, be my guest. but before you do that, go back and find that presser where it was discussed, take his words IN CONTEXT..

No conspiracy at all. What other position would he be conducive in the 3-4 beyond OLB? You tell me...

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we sign Butler, he becomes the 3rd OLb signed in free agency. I would take that as a lack of confidence that Sheard can transition into a 3-4 OLb.

Damanshot #764953 03/23/13 08:06 AM
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just find it hilarious how H & H and Shurmur preached depth as the key to winning team, yet they never signed anyone to add any freakin depth. They depended solely on the draft and rookies to provide depth. How long were they planning on taking to field a winning team, 7 years?

Victor Butler would be a great depth guy and I would be surprised if he left his visit to Cleveland without a contract.

Now we're finally getting to see how REAL organizations do business!

JMHO
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sheard could end up thriving in the 3-4 as an OLB. He has flashed some great pass rushing ability and he is stout against the run.

In the 3-4, you see LB's rushing the line of scrimmage before the snap in anticipation. Shears starting at the line of scrimmage from a standing position could make him an absolute LETHAL pass rushing threat as opposed to having to start from the down position.

JMHO
Jester #764955 03/23/13 11:33 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would say it's more of an insurance policy. If Sheard doesn't get a handle on playing outside linebacker we aren't screwed.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Given your math, we could have kept Phil another 2-4 years......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Bucs trying to trade former Cleveland corner, Eric Wright, after one season. Poor Eric:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...s-trading-block

cfrs15 #764958 03/23/13 01:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Possibly

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I never understood why they signed him to that huge contract in the first place.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Bucs trying to trade former Cleveland corner, Eric Wright, after one season. Poor Eric:

Makes you wonder if there are some off the field issues going on behind the scenes that caused this...

JMHO
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Didn't he have some fairly major issues last year? A DUI, and a failed drug test IIRC. He definitely has some issues that have to be a concern?

He's a decent quality CB ..... not a top guy, but not a bum either. he knows how to cover and how to intercept passes. He may have some value .... but he had enough issues that the Bucs that they took the steps to void the guarantees in his contract. I seem to recall hearing something about him having issues with coaching as well.

I would probably take him with a smaller deal ..... but wouldn't invest top dollar in him.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency IV

Link Copied to Clipboard