Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Good for Phil. Not so good for us. Yes, kickers are a dime a dozen. Good foul-weather kickers, however, are rare. Another hole to fill. Ohhh goody. LOL

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Yep gonna miss him thats for sure.

the best kicker i have ever seen in the wind. i can not even remember one of his misses being a bad miss either.. im sure there were some but i just cant remember one right now.

I was hoping he would resign with us but knew it was a long shot.

some blame is on banner and co. but i put 99% of the blame on H&H. 2 years in a row they franchised him. They should have got a deal done.

Good luck Phil, 100% class act.

Now do we go after a veteran kicker in Kaeding, Tynes, Hauschka or get one in the draft.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Well, now I'll be rooting for the Niners to win the Superbowl even more than I was a few weeks ago!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I hope Phil kicks the game winner in the SB for the 9ers this year.

Best of luck Phil. Thanks for all the great memories.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Happy for Phil, sad for us, pissed at Banner.

Can I make it any simpler than that?

Ditto.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
I would bet that we sign an UDFA or 2 to compete in camp.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Fun fact: Phil Dawson and Matt Stover graduated from the same high school. Aside from injury replacements and the gap years our kickers have been from Lake Highlands Highschool (Dallas) since 1991

We'll miss ya Phil.

If anyone finds video of his self-onside kick or his TD run please post

Legend
Legend
DAMNIT this is the first HUGE mistake from our front office (outside of giving Lombardi a job) This one will come back to bite us in the butt. SOB this ticks me off. Phil did nothing but bust his butt, and do whatever the coaching staff wanted him to do. Our last front office and the current one need a swift kick to the head for this screwup. Phil buddy I wish you nothing but the best during the rest of your career, and if the Browns can not pull off a miricle and win the Super Bowl this year, then I pray you can finally get your first Super Bowl ring. You deserve it buddy.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
did you see the pic Ddub posted ? Phil pulled your finger didn't he...

Legend
Legend
LMAO yes he did

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First thing I thought about.. You guys just know that there is going to be a late December game where it's snowing and the wind is 25+ and the new guy misses the FG and Banner will try to justify it.

Best wishes Phil.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
1st String
1st String
Good bye Phil and thank you for 14 years of loyal service to our Browns. Best wishes and a long and healthy career.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
C
Legend
Legend
C
We lost a 38 year old kicker. That is not a huge mistake.

Legend
Legend
Good luck Phil - love ya bro!

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Sorry but can't believe you'd make a comment like that. Yeah cause every 27 year old kick can nail 60+ yarders np. Bomb 50-60 yarders in the snow and wind. Phil is clutch regardless of the weather, and his distance is always pleasing to any special teams coach.

Not a huge mistake? Depends who we replace him with I guess...

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Gotta say all the best to you and your family Phil, you should be in the ring of honor when the day comes. Gotta say my favorite kick of your was the boot against the Ratbirds that had to go to instant replay because it hit the stansion and bounced back out. I believe we took that one to overtime and he kicked the winner too. The RAVEN SCUM was sooo pissed and I must have laughed for an hour thanks again !

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry but can't believe you'd make a comment like that. Yeah cause every 27 year old kick can nail 60+ yarders np. Bomb 50-60 yarders in the snow and wind. Phil is clutch regardless of the weather, and his distance is always pleasing to any special teams coach.

Not a huge mistake? Depends who we replace him with I guess...

He's 38 and you act like this is all on the Browns.

Good chance Phil wanted to try for a ring at the end of his career.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Kicker is one the easiest positions to fill and replace.

What other position can you sign a guy on Saturday and he can start on Sunday?

Yes, Phil Dawson was very good. But the difference between very good and average at the kicker position is not that big.

I would probably take twenty players off our current roster over Phil Dawson. And I think he is great.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I am sad to see you go Phil. I hope you get yourself a ring with the 49ers

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
well i wont be angry with phil that's for sure. The man has suffered enough for us. I hope he gets his ring because no one else i'd rather see get it. one of my favorite players of all time. maybe just like kosar he has to go to another team to get it. T.T

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Well, he was our most consistent offensive weapon.

Still, a great kicker. A true professional.

Lou Groza's still the best, though. (I actually saw him kick ...)

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

QFT

I am glad that Phil was on the team all these years, and sad to see him go, but not upset at the front office for not re-signing him.

The writing has been on the wall for a few years. Phil wanted to play for a winner and the only thing that would have kept him here was an amount of money that is ridiculous to pay a kicker.

If the Browns can't win the Super Bowl this year, I'll be pulling for San Francisco. That city is fun as hell anyway, if you have the chance you should go.

To those of you that are extremely angry about him leaving, step back from the ledge. Phil Dawson is a kicker.

I repeat: PHIL DAWSON IS A KICKER.

The difference between a perennial contender and a bad organization is not field goals made or missed, it is touchdowns scored or prevented. You should stop focusing on what is not that important and start hoping the team improves in a meaningful way.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Legend
Legend
As long as we offered him a contract and he chose the 49ers over us I have no problem with it. However if it comes out that he wanted to stay here and we didn't even bother to offer him a contract then I will be pissed

Legend
Legend
We probably didn't offer him a contract. Banner's history is to allow a player, even a great player, to leave a year too early than to carry him for a year too long.

He did so with David Akers, who Dawson is now replacing after a lousy year last year.

We all wonder how many great years Dawson has left, He's 38. He has shown absolutely no signs of slowing down at all ...... but he is 38, and that is extremely old for the NFL. He might kick for another 5 years and be extremely successful, but the odds are against it.

I would have tried to resign Dawson ..... but I can understand if the front office disagreed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

As long as we offered him a contract and he chose the 49ers over us I have no problem with it. However if it comes out that he wanted to stay here and we didn't even bother to offer him a contract then I will be pissed

I agree. While he is 38, and as sad as it is that a kicker is the face of our franchise, we should have offered him a contract.

#gmstrong
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

I'm with you. You don't let a guy go who can bank the ball off the uprights, then off the stanchion and back onto the field and come away with 3 points let alone a guy who can genuinely put Kentucky windage on his leg and score TWICE in a blizzard!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Oh wow. I was hoping he would retire a Brown...we better play lights out this year to fill this now little hole in my Browns soul...

He will retire as a Brown. He will sign a one day contract to retire as a Brown. That would be my guess.

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
O
Legend
Legend
O
The way I see it, He got tagged or he would have left when he moved his family.

It was good to have you Phil, good luck to you.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Lessee here,
The ONLY GUY to score points for the Browns.
The Kicker with the BEST FG Percentage last year (IOW, Age has not been a factor in his play).
The ONLY GUY from the original 1999 team.
We have TONS of cap space.

...Hey! LET'S NOT KEEP THIS GUY!

At least we can NOW lose games scoring NO Points!
Great Job, New Regime! Go Brownies!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Best of luck to Phil. I hope he gets a ring.

This shouldnt surprise anyone. We had to franchise him the last 2 seasons to keep him here. It was obvious that he was ready to move on, and at 38 we are due to replace him anyhow.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

No it won't. At least not until we lose a game in First Energy because of a missed FG.

Good luck, Phil. If we end up in the SB against you guys, laces in.

Hopefully this will cut some of the travel time for his family. He's a great kicker and seems to be very devoted to his family.

What amazed me was that he seemed to get better every year!

I wish he could have capped off his career here with a Super Bowl win, but it doesn't make sense to pay him what he's obviously worth when you're in the middle of building a team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

.... off the stanchion and back onto the field and come away with 3 points

You're right, Ted. I'll always remember that kick (Buffalo, wasn't it?)

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Thanks Phil...

Dang 14 years, how can we get mad at Phil leaving, sad yes...good man, great kicker...but mad, common the man has given us fan 14 years of his life many more years than others who have played here, I dont even remember there name....Phil...his name will never be forgotten, Good Luck Phil thanks for 14 years...

Dont be mad it's over...Be happy it happened...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. While he is 38, and as sad as it is that a kicker is the face of our franchise, we should have offered him a contract.

We may not have offered a contract, but I would guess we at least had contact with his agent to get a feel what they were looking for.....and decided they were looking for to much....or Phil's agent told the Browns a couple of teams were talking to them and what sort of numbers and terms were being discussed, and we thanked them for their service and the courtesy for the call.

Maybe this opens up a 2 way kicker for us. We put Spencer Lanning back on the team after cutting him late in camp last year. He had Hodges beat out IMO and should have been our punter last year. He is also a placekicker....did it two ways at S. Carolina.

I think he will be a super punter for us. I just don't know if he will cut it as a fieldgoal kicker or not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
You have been a class act! I loved it when, in 99, we beat the Steelers off of your last second FG you wiped off your cleats. You were money and will be missed!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

No it won't. At least not until we lose a game in First Energy because of a missed FG.

Good luck, Phil. If we end up in the SB against you guys, laces in.

Hopefully this will cut some of the travel time for his family. He's a great kicker and seems to be very devoted to his family.

What amazed me was that he seemed to get better every year!

I wish he could have capped off his career here with a Super Bowl win, but it doesn't make sense to pay him what he's obviously worth when you're in the middle of building a team.

He's definitely a class act. I had hoped he would retire as a Brown. I don't know that money was the entire issue as much as Banner's penchant for getting rid of players a year too early rather than a year too late, and possibly Dawson's desire to move on.

I understand the decision to let him walk, not sure I exactly agree with it. As you say, he seemed to get better every year. I remember mentioning something about replacing him 4 years ago. After last year and the year before, no way would I let him go if something could be worked out. The thing that bothers me the most here, is that we have lost a stabilizing factor on ST, a prime scorer, and the only real legend of the modern era at a time when our very young team could use all of those things. Like I said, I understand letting him walk, (especially if he wanted to go,) just not sure I agree with it... especially if it comes back to bite us in the ass. That would be so typically "Browns"

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Quote:

.... off the stanchion and back onto the field and come away with 3 points

You're right, Ted. I'll always remember that kick (Buffalo, wasn't it?)

Baltimore-IN BALTIMORE NO LESS! The blizzard kicks were against Buffalo in Cleveland. Definitely plays for the ages. I coulda understood (sorta) letting Josh go, although I hated to see it happen, but how many games are won in the last seconds by 1 or two points with a field goal? Or sent into OT? It's like letting Minnesota Fats or Willie Mosconi go.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

[
Baltimore-IN BALTIMORE NO LESS! The blizzard kicks were against Buffalo in Cleveland. Definitely plays for the ages. I coulda understood (sorta) letting Josh go, although I hated to see it happen, but how many games are won in the last seconds by 1 or two points with a field goal? Or sent into OT? It's like letting Minnesota Fats or Willie Mosconi go.

Baltimore game was a classic. rare time we see the refs throw something our way. Especially a reversal on a field goal...on the road!

I was at the Buffalo Ice Bowl Game sitting in row 1. Those kicks were like Knuckle-Balls dancing in the air.

Good luck to the new kicker, wherever you are. You've got some big shoes to fill

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/c

Sad to see him go.... go get that ring!

Kickers can be found, heck -look at the vikes and Walsh.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dawson got better over the years. Back in the first few seasons he never hit a 50+ yarder and people called his leg weak, heck his first season he was in the 60% in FG made.

But then again practice makes perfect and over his career in Cleveland he has had plenty of practice.

Hopefully we get someone that can kick, but more importantly hopefully he will only be kicking a lot of Extra points instead of Field Goals.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Phil Dawson to 49ers

Link Copied to Clipboard