Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Some industrious individual needs to go open an ebay account in Jimmy's name and put the Browns up for auction.

I would, but Randy may have a "sale voided" clause for 4 years in the sales agreement. Then again, depending on penalties, fines and back taxes, the IRS may own the Browns.

Will that make us America's team?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

That's your right, but frankly, I could give a rat's butt about what your biased self thinks about this. You, Pit, and mac are almost giddy that he is in trouble. Weird.

This is the craziest, most one sided thing I've ever heard you say that is so far off base, nothing compares.

I ALWAYS hope the Browns succeed. Always. And to do that, not only the owner, but the FO has to succeed. Did I have my doubts about Haslam being honest as it pertained to him knowing he was going to hire Banner all along? Yes I did. As much as you may wish to deny it, those suspicions became a reality.

Did I have suspicions when we were told there were no plans in place in refrance to hiring Lombardi as the GM when Banner and Haslam said they would be evaluating H&H as things went along? Yes I did have my suspicions. They also proved to be correct.

What about how we were told that Colt McCoy would be competing for the starting QB job last year? That never happened. So did I have cause to question not only Haslams honesty and forthrightness but Banners as well.

But for you to even suggest that I would wish, hope or like to see this happen (giddy as you suggest) has to be the one of the top 10 most moronic things I've seen posted on this board. Yes, beneath even you......

Quote:

I got news for you. Your boys, The Big Show and Heckert are not coming back. So stop the charade of how offended you are.

You have some real issues you need to seek help with. In case you missed it, this does reflect badly on the NFL and The Cleveland Browns if there is even a grain of truth to be found in these alligations.

As I've pointed out to you before, I had many misgivings and disagreed with much of what they did too. But you never seem to let facts get in the way of your rants. You only see black and white. No gray areas. And that's what this is.

You keep looking back to the past while I'm dealing with the here and now. And BTW- Since you have only been "back for weeks", I said often that the only one of the bunch I would have even bothered keeping from the last regime was Heckert. And even that wasn't a deal breaker for me. But Lombardi?

Quote:

I didn't see you guys calling for the ouster of the Lerners. Al helped Art w/the move to Baltimore. Junior sold his company and caused a huge number of people [you know, the little guys] to lose their jobs. He was constantly firing secretaries, runners, etc from the Browns. He wanted to move TC to Columbus to broaden the marketing of the Browns. And not a peep from you guys. Hell, Mac even defended Junior causing people to lose their jobs.

Oh yes, I can see how this all seems relative to fraud and or income tax evasion. EXACTLY the same type of thing!

Quote:

Furthermore, how many really rich guys do you think are honest? Seriously man, do you know anything about business? Do you know anything about how large corporations work?

Yes I know many very successful people have been convicted of felonies due to their greed and even more that never will be caught. I really never imagined you would try to rationalize people committing felony acts in this manner though.

Quote:

All I care about in this case is the success of the Browns and I don't want the team sold or for the NFL to take it over. You disagree, fine.......but save the melodramatics for someone who doesn't know better.

The sad part about this is I want the exact same thing as you do. I hope Haslam is innocent. I hope his name is cleared and we move forward from this. Of course since you think you know far more than you really do, I don't expect you to believe the truth and probably wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in the butt.

I never have and never will want those who run the Browns to fail. Even if I believe they will, I would hope to be proven wrong. But the truth is what it is. As things stand, it doesn't look good.

You carry on for as long as you get away with it. soon good old Verse will push his act too far as always because he gets the better of his own self. I have never wished ill will on the Browns or their owner. And it's not happening now.

Anything said to the contrary is a biased, bold faced lie.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Truck Stop Boy is going to jail. How long will be determined by how much money he took. From what I read it's in the millions. So my guess is he will serve a minium of 8 to 10 years in Federal Prison. From Tennesee Orange to Brown and Orange to a Orange Jumper.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Truck Stop Boy is going to jail. How long will be determined by how much money he took. From what I read it's in the millions. So my guess is he will serve a minium of 8 to 10 years in Federal Prison. From Tennesee Orange to Brown and Orange to a Orange Jumper.

Rich people don't really go to jail and the few who do don't serve that long. He'll pay a decent fine and someone will jump on a sword.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Rich people don't really go to jail and the few who do don't serve that long. He'll pay a decent fine and someone will jump on a sword.

Martha Stewart disagrees with this.

If there is anything to pay attention to right now, though, it would be that there has not - yet- been any indictments. Of course, that could be because they are still digging through papers, and perhaps they are looking for records to corroborate their recordings.

If they have even one nugget that shows that Haslam had full knowledge of everything (more than just the recording of someone stating it), then he is as good as gone. Short of that, they could probably just arrange for other people to fall on swords while claiming that Jimmy had no knowledge and make it believable enough to at least give them enough of a platform for a plea bargain to lesser charges.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Martha Stewart disagrees with this.

Martha Stewart served like a half a year, right? I know weed dealers who get longer time than that.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Wesley Snipes just finished two years. But he isn't nearly as rich as Haslam.

Legend
Legend
j/c

This story popped up on my radio a couple days ago. It's starting to gain traction.

I'll let each of you draw your own conclusions. Speaking for myself, I fight back against the "conspiracy theorist" in me most every day, opting usually to take a "wait & see" approach. Still... I'm wondering if Jimmy didn't rush back to his CEO duties to make an attempt at 'preemptive damage control' some months ago.

I have no proof, and wouldn't dream of putting this out there as anything other that speculation.

One thing is certain... there is more to this story than has come out yet.

Don't really know what to think just yet.

Click the linky-dink. Listen to the news article. Draw your own conclusions.

Clem

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1st String
1st String
We're screwed again.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

...Yep. Probably. And he'll admit no wrongdoing.

All of this is very interesting to me. And shameful.

Basically his people were "shaving down" the rebates and got busted. Let the buyer beware.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
PFT

Haslam’s company hires lawyer who represented Eddie DeBartolo

Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2013, 7:07 AM EDT

With plenty of NFL observers already comparing the case against the company run by Browns owner Jimmy Haslam to the case that brought down Eddie DeBartolo as owner of the 49ers, Haslam voluntarily has made another connection between the two situations.

Pilot Flying J has hired the lawyer who represented DeBartolo against federal charges in Louisiana:  Aubrey Harwell, Jr., of Nashville.

Jodie Valade of the Cleveland Plain Dealer dusts off the DeBartolo case, which resulted in the popular owner stepping aside as an indictment was looming, then pleading guilty to the failure to report a felony extortion attempt in connection with the procurement of a gambling license, and ultimately receiving in 1999 a one-year suspension from former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

It’s difficult to draw parallels between the DeBartolo and Haslam situations, in part because the NFL dramatically has adjusted over the last 14 years its approach to discipline.  That same year, for example, Tagliabue suspended former Rams defensive end Leonard Little only eight games after he pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter while driving with nearly twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system.

It’s also difficult to gauge Haslam’s potential responsibility.  Harwell already has crafted talking points that, if accurate, would insulate Haslam and other family members from responsibility.

“I can tell you that Mr. Haslam is in and out of a lot of meetings but he was not aware of any improprieties,” Harwell told Walter F. Roche, Jr. of the Tennessean.  Harwell admitted that some allegations in the 120-page affidavit filed on Thursday “cause concern,” but Harwell insists that the Haslam family “had no knowledge of any impropriety.”

The problem the company faces is that it now must determine whether improprieties occurred, and rectify them.  “Senior management is going to get to the bottom of this and they will do what is right and repay any customers if they are owed anything,” Harwell said.

The bigger problem is that Pilot Flying J customers may scatter, which depending on the way Haslam structured his purchase of the Browns could disrupt his vow that it will be “business as usual” for the team.

“We feel like they got us,” Titan Transfer Inc. owner Tommy Hodges told the Tennessean.  “We fit the profile of exactly what they were doing.  We were in the rebate program, and we always had a tough time reconciling the checks we were getting with our records of fuel purchases.”

The affidavit filed Thursday suggests that the company would shrug the scheme off as a computer error, if/when a customer got wise to it.

“We had a feeling that the error was not an accident, but had no proof,” Morehouse Trucking manager Curt Morehouse said in a statement issued to the Associated Press.  “It is now obvious from the affidavits that it was not an accident.  We hope that Mr. Haslam has the courage to make whole the other companies that his company defrauded.”

And that crystallizes the dilemma Haslam faces.  If he circles the wagons and insists no one did anything wrong, he risks going down with the ship.  If he admits to widespread fraud, he comes off as an inept and out-of-touch manager.

In the end, the question becomes whether the feds can marshal enough evidence to prove that Haslam knew about the situation.  That’s where the situation gets even more delicate for Haslam.  If key employees who orchestrated and implemented the scheme sense that Haslam is throwing them under the proverbial bus, they may escape into the arms of immunity from prosecution, in exchange for testifying against Haslam.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns won't be owned by Haslam for very long.

If there's tax evasion implications, he's got about as much chance of avoiding white collar lock-up as we do to win the Super Bowl.

If the FBI isn't bluffing about their case - and they rarely do - Jimmy is screwed, and the NFL won't want the Haslam name anywhere near them.

Define very long. It took the courts 3 years to come to arrangements with DeBartalo.. it that timeline holds, we're talking about 2016

FYI, I got no loyalty to Haslam either. it's not like he's a long time Browns fan and a lifelong resident of the area. Not that either of those things matter.

I did have hope that he was going to be an active owner and not settle for anything less than Championships.. But like Debartolo, I expect a family member will end up taking over.. Brother, Wife.. maybe his kids.. Who knows..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

The bigger problem is that Pilot Flying J customers may scatter, which depending on the way Haslam structured his purchase of the Browns could disrupt his vow that it will be “business as usual” for the team.

Not good...not good at all...

I seriously doubt that Haslam is going to wiggle out of this and he may not be able to afford to keep the Browns, especially if the trucking customers take their business elsewhere.

We will likely see Flying J try to settle all cases with those trucking companies involved and it could get very expensive for Pilot. But that won't stop the feds from pursuing their case against Haslam.

If the NFL did OK another member of the Haslam family taking over the Browns...well, I would rather not go that route, simply because the family fortune/finances and ability to run the team (financially) could become an issue regardless of which Haslam member is named.

Yes, the NFL requires franchises to spend X number of dollars on players salaries...but if the Haslam family needed to try to save some money, they could begin to cut staff.

The best thing for the Browns would be if Haslam sells the team. Maybe Lerner could buy it back at a huge discount, since he is the minority owner. Maybe Lerner could purchase enough (21%) to have controlling interest of the team until a new owner can be found.

...this is not a good situation for "our" team.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I seriously doubt that Haslam is going to wiggle out of this and he may not be able to afford to keep the Browns, especially if the trucking customers take their business elsewhere.

We will likely see Flying J try to settle all cases with those trucking companies involved and it could get very expensive for Pilot. But that won't stop the feds from pursuing their case against Haslam.

If the NFL did OK another member of the Haslam family taking over the Browns...well, I would rather not go that route, simply because the family fortune/finances and ability to run the team (financially) could become an issue regardless of which Haslam member is named.

Yes, the NFL requires franchises to spend X number of dollars on players salaries...but if the Haslam family needed to try to save some money, they could begin to cut staff.

The best thing for the Browns would be if Haslam sells the team. Maybe Lerner could buy it back at a huge discount, since he is the minority owner. Maybe Lerner could purchase enough (21%) to have controlling interest of the team until a new owner can be found.

Wow, talk about prematurely hitting the panic button.. Geesh people,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
All Pro
All Pro
jc

“I can tell you that Mr. Haslam is in and out of a lot of meetings but he was not aware of any improprieties,” Harwell told Walter F. Roche, Jr. of the Tennessean. Harwell admitted that some allegations in the 120-page affidavit filed on Thursday “cause concern,” but Harwell insists that the Haslam family “had no knowledge of any impropriety.”

"I was framed."

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
That makes sense. The lawyer has experience in front of the NFL, and in big cases with a ton of publicity.

Man ..... we've had 2 cases where a team's ownership was put in jeopardy .... and both were associated with Ohio. Debartolo was a Youngstown guy, and Haslam owns an Ohio team.

Unreal.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its not inconceivable that Haslam would be unaware of a scam being run by someone in his management team, especially if those individuals' bonus packages are accelerated by increased revenues (ie, unpaid rebates).

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

That makes sense. The lawyer has experience in front of the NFL, and in big cases with a ton of publicity.

Unreal.

And he is one of the best in the country and is in state. A guy Haslam may have used at one time or another.

Nashville is about 90 minutes away on I-40....maybe 30 minutes away by helicopter.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Unfortunately, I think this is a very real possibility. If things begin to go South financially for Haslem, no matter how much people were hopeful about his ability and passion as an owner, the Browns could be in trouble.

So many factors could be in play here.

How many customers are going to sue him for lost income, court fees and future income not able to be earned? My guess is a lot.

How many lawyer hours are gonna be logged addressing all this legal mumbo jumbo?

How many average joe customers are simply gonna go to a BP or Love's right across the street on a highway exit to give Haslem the proverbial middle finger?

I understand The Haslam family is worth a lot of money, but I can only image their largest asset in FLying J is going to take a HUGE financial hit. And I think it will effect their second largest asset, The Cleveland Browns. I don't want my team being effected because of the potential illegal activities that may have taken place. Even if Haslem himself is innocent, that family pocket book will be taking a huge hit. Just how huge is the question.....

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Wow Jimmy, how could you let this happen and why would you let this happen?

Now you're going to bring us Brown's fan into your drama, when we've been served enough DRAMA as-s via these past regimes. You're taking away form the vibe of this new regime Jimmy. You're distracting the young talent that is this team. You are the thorn now in your own garden Haslam.

I'm sorry but this is just pissing me off at this point. Jimmy Haslam I loved when I heard he was taking over and etc etc... now I viewing his as a total disgrace and yet another drama-point for Cleveland to have to worry about.

I DON'T WANT RANDY LERNER BACK EITHER. HE'S FAILED SO MANY TIMES I HOPE THAT JUST ISN'T EVEN AN OPTION.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Tom Noe would disagree, as he's serving 18 years for "mishandling" (stealing) $13 million from the state of Ohio.

Noe, a former Toledo-area coin dealer and past chairman of the Lucas County Republican Party, is serving an 18-year state sentence in the Hocking Correctional Facility on convictions related to the theft of $13 million from $50 million that the state-run insurance fund for injured workers invested in rare-coin funds he operated.

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2012/02/24/Ohio-to-issue-final-report-in-Noe-Coingate-scandal.html

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Tom Noe would disagree, as he's serving 18 years for "mishandling" (stealing) $13 million from the state of Ohio.

Noe, a former Toledo-area coin dealer and past chairman of the Lucas County Republican Party, is serving an 18-year state sentence in the Hocking Correctional Facility on convictions related to the theft of $13 million from $50 million that the state-run insurance fund for injured workers invested in rare-coin funds he operated.

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2012/02/24/Ohio-to-issue-final-report-in-Noe-Coingate-scandal.html

Though, he did steal from the government and not regular folk. The government doesn't like it when you steal from them no matter how rich you are. /semi-purple-text

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
M
Legend
Legend
M
FWIW

And not a big deal, Nashville is about 3 hours away depending on where in Knoxville your headed. Either way, distance wouldn't trump anything. If the guy lived in L.A. and had experience with this type of stuff and the NFL, Haslem would grab him. So much stuff is done on video conferencing, it's unbelievable...and cheaper too.

This is a plus for Haslem to retain him. But I'm sure the cost isn't cheap.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

I have a question. All this talk about how this affects the Browns and such, isn't there such a thing as Inc. Meaning that no matter what happens with the Truck stops being Inc. protects JH's personal money? I deal with dump truck owners all the time and they tell me they Inc. so that if they lose the business due to debt, ect. then their personal money: Ie: bank acct. and homes are exempt from going down the drain with their trucking co. Isn't this the same way with Haslem?

Edit: I know there is a big difference between going broke and wrong doing, but I was wondering at what point does it stop with the business and start to be personal?

Last edited by bleednbrown; 04/21/13 01:46 PM.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
The best thing Truck Stop Boy can do is admit the company broke the law come clean and move forward so in the end he gets lightest sentence possible. But, he came out and already said I did nothing wrong. When the Feds come they already have you but you can't believe it. I am sure he is trying to circle the wagons and staying up at night thinking how did this happen. The look on his face during his press conference tells a lot. The facial expressions pursed lips, forehead wrinkled, wipes right and later wipes left eye, hands tight and shoulders up, sticking tongue out, but the between questions the look of shock like how in the hell did this happen. The fact that he denied any wrong doing by his company will put the target squarely on Truck Stop Boy and he is the fish the Feds want to fry. The others are just window dressing. Pawns used to get to the top man. Many will recieve plea deals for testimony and it will take years but in the end the Feds will win. The only question is how large was the fraud, That will determine the punishment.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Its not inconceivable that Haslam would be unaware of a scam being run by someone in his management team, especially if those individuals' bonus packages are accelerated by increased revenues (ie, unpaid rebates).

The bigger thing here is were the unpaid rebates declared and if not, Haslam still had to sign off on the corporate tax filing. That's why the IRS is on the sideline waiting to pounce.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's very possible. I don't know how probable, but possible for sure.

Haslam has been distracted the last year or so with Football. And of course, I get the feeling that a new CEO was brought into Pilot then he found out about this mess and bingo,, he moved that guy out so he could take the heat. then move that guy back into place.

I can see that playing out like that.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
They have an employee on tape saying that Haslam knew. It was said to a confidential informant during a routine discussion....it wasn't an interrogation or a plea arrangement. I don't see why this employee would make something up like that.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

They have an employee on tape saying that Haslam knew. It was said to a confidential informant during a routine discussion....it wasn't an interrogation or a plea arrangement. I don't see why this employee would make something up like that.

That doesn't make it true Jfan.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
But if it looks like a duck......

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It must be hunting season.

#GMSTRONG
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Could be a whistle-blower that wanted to clear himself before it blew up. Or someone that didn't cheat, but got upset because others were.

If the FBI took 2 years, I'm thinking they probably set some serious traps for Haslam and the Execs. Someone up top was involved, b/c there's normally corporate checks-and-balances to make sure that a sales rep can't manipulate billing like this. Multiple sales reps shouldn't have access or the means to reward themselves. Accounting/IT should have caught it from the beginning. I'm sure Flying J has systems in place to catch a cashier from pocketing cigarette money, so there's no way sales reps pulled this off for such a long time. Lots of people knew about it, many will talk, many already have.

Still, its very possible for Haslam to know about it (or even be the mastermind of it all) and still cover himself.

Legend
Legend
If you read the transcript and look at the context in which it was said, I don't really see how this could be the case. (It's on the link early in this thread.)

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, talk about prematurely hitting the panic button.. Geesh people,,

We don't know squat about what's really going on and we probably never will. And, I'm sure that what Jimmy Haslam has said about it being only a small portion of their business is probably true. I've never had a problem with Pilot or Flying J when I've had occasion to stop at their locations.

Last fall, on a trip to Texas, we stopped (as exclusively as we could) at Flying J or Pilot to do our business. They generally had the best prices for fuel that we saw. I never felt that I was getting overcharged or robbed.

Maybe some trucking users didn't receive rebates that were due them but we'll have to see what comes of it all. Frankly, I think that it's all much ado about next to nothing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Maybe some trucking users didn't receive rebates that were due them but we'll have to see what comes of it all. Frankly, I think that it's all much ado about next to nothing.

The FBI and IRS had close to 40 agents on site at Haslam's HQ on Monday. I think they feel it's more than "much ado about nothing".

If they can prove Jimmy knew what was going on he's going to jail. Even if he manages to whittle this down to just a fine the NFL will make him relinquish control of the Browns.

The Over/Under on the Browns having a new owner is probably about 16 months if either of the above resolutions come about.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sometimes,,, like I said, I have no love or hate for Haslam so whatever happens happens. I can't control it. But I will wait to see how this flushes out before I put the guy in the electric chair and throw the switch.

Some on here already have the guy spending the next 20 in prison.. let it play out.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
To be fair Anarchy, they aren't being accused of defrauding or over charging the retail customers.. They are being accused of not paying the full rebate to small and large trucking companies that they promised to do.

Apples and oranges.. But I get your drift, we don't know anything for sure..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
The more I think about this the more excited I get for some Arrested Development antics regarding the Haslam family. I really can't wait to see Jimmy as a George Bluth Sr. while Banner plays Kitty.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

It's not what you know. It's what you can prove.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

It's not what you know. It's what you can prove.

I guess it boils down to Duck ID.
Which can be very difficult at 7 am in a duck blind.

GO BROWNS!
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... FBI locks down Cleveland Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam's Pilot Flying J headqu

Link Copied to Clipboard