Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Quote:

Well...I guess we are pointing to NEXT YEAR. So I guess 5 wins and last place in the AFC North is what we are gonna get this year. I think I'll run out and buy season tickets.

Yep. Swapping a 5th round draft pick will definitely make or break a season. They just gave up!

No...you are right. It's only a fifth round pick. I guess I'm sick of 5 win seasons. I am curious though, exactly how has this team gotten better in the off season? A couple of free agents on defense that we had to sign because we are changing our schemes again and nothing on offense.....Oh wait...another slot #3 receiver? Jason Campbell? We were in a number of games last year that we could have pulled out. All we have done is tread water. Trading our 4th rounder to the Steelers? I have to believe that they know a little more about finding players in the draft than the Browns ever have because they are contenders every year. I admit it....I have very little faith in this organization because they have done nothing to inspire faith. I 'm sick of "waiting until next year". I'm sure every person on this board understands that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Mayock likes the moves we're making.

Mayock is the analyst I trust the second most (Behind Bill Polian), for whatever that's worth.

Same on NFL Network, they liked how they're handling it. If they don't see value with the picks they stockpile and upgrade for the future

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
and still all those players people wanted are still available.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Gotcha cleve, thought you were naming the exact pick.

Odds we make a pick at #175?

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It would seem the Browns are completely happy with their current roster. As is.
We don't need any players this year, we are already preparing for next years draft. Happy that we are is such good shape. Come September we should win lots of games.....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So next year we get
a 1
a 2
two 3's
two 4's

and a year to evaluate needs.

Im ok with that. we cant evaluate anything last year because its hard to see through the Shurmur fog

That looks pretty damn good. There's enough their to trade into a pick for just about any player we may want next year. Well played.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
The pitt trade, fine. But trading an early fifth for a playoff team's future fourth?
If they really think there wasn't anyone worth drafting at two consecutive picks, they're just unprepared.

Loading up on picks like this... Kind of smells like a tank for next year.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Let me look on the Bright side. Well Im not complaining because of who's running the draft.

I'm complaining because of how they are running it. They could do the right thing but they just blew 2 picks for THIN AIR!

Hey, there is a Bright side, why dont' the browns just CHEAT! Because when they do the league will take draft picks away and the Browns don't use them anyway!

The only Bright spot of the above list, Gordon, was taken by the past group of leadrers.

The bottom line is, sometimes you have to speculate and pick a player who pans out above what you thought he would, like maybe Atyba Rubin.

But if you take NOBODY! There's NO CHANCE of that happening.

So the Bright side. At least North Korea hasn't blown us up yet!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The best run organization in the NFL, the Patriots, have built their team on this philosophy.

Patriots do it, they're geniuses. We do it, we're idiots?

IDK.

It's certainly context. It looks smarter when you're 11-5 every season and not 5-11.

I'm OK with trading, just wish we squeezed a little more value.

Trades for future picks only make sense, in my opinion, if we're then packaging those selections to move up in higher rounds.

On an already young team, I'm not sure what we're going to do with 10+ rookies next season (if we were to stand pat and actually make these selections). I don't expect us to do that but it will be curious if that is the result.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Kind of smells like a tank for next year.

They've been subtlely telling us this for months.

Of course that was after we were lead to believe that Haslam is one competitive SOB and the losing would no longer be tolerated.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

Next we trade oiur 6 rounder for 5th and 7th for 6th.

We keep this trend going and by 2018 we should have 7 or 8 first round picks.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It's certainly context. It looks smarter when you're 11-5 every season and not 5-11.

This is the first year under this front office.

Our past records can't dictate their philosophy.

I can't help but think that if it weren't Banner/Lombardi, everyone would be really happy with what we're doing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We trade our high fourth this year for the Steelers 3rd rounder next year. Of course knowing the Steelers that will be a LOW 3rd. So we didn't gain much value there unless the Steelers flat out suck this season. In the mean time we DON'T have another young player to help us this year. Banner must think we don't NEED any more help. Our roster is set. So come September I EXPECT to see some REAL football being played. No damned excuses for not having players.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Of course that was after we were lead too believe that Haslam is one competitive SOB and the losing would no longer be tolerated.

if we had any other coach rather than Shurmur I believe we would have been a 500 team this past year.

Joe Thomas #73
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
we gonna draft any today?

Last edited by lionchamp29; 04/27/13 02:38 PM.

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Should they Fire Joe Banner?

Just asking.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Of course that was after we were lead to believe that Haslam is one competitive SOB and the losing would no longer be tolerated.

so allt he money we spent in FA and the top part of the draft smells of tank because we traded away 4th and 5th picks?

Then agian if you rfmember last year those 5th and 7th picks we gave up for TR were gold..lol

#gmstrong

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

We trade our high fourth this year for the Steelers 3rd rounder next year. Of course knowing the Steelers that will be a LOW 3rd. So we didn't gain much value there unless the Steelers flat out suck this season. In the mean time we DON'T have another young player to help us this year. Banner must think we don't NEED any more help. Our roster is set. So come September I EXPECT to see some REAL football being played. No damned excuses for not having players.

They've already told us don't expect much this year.

So you're going to be disappointed.

After another 5-11 season they can say they told you not to expect much.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Take a hike. My comment had nothing to do with what is going on today nor my satisfaction or unsatisfaction with it ...as I haven't commented on it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I can't help but think that if it weren't Banner/Lombardi, everyone would be really happy with what we're doing.

I don't think that's untrue....but also wouldn't argue it isn't warranted.

I'm not an anti Banner / Lobardi blowhard but their track record isn't exactly sterling.

For most fans, they'll have to prove they know what they're doing. Guilty until proven innocent.

Just the way it is unfortunately. Doesn't help we're in a division with stellar GM's.

Every year fans watch the Ravens and Steelers methodically churn out good drafts.

Haven't hated the moves the FO has made but they also need to pan out. I'm OK with stockpiling picks if we ultimately unload them for a difference maker.

All Pro
All Pro
Tank For Teddy, baby! With the ammo to trade up in case we have some unexpected wins...

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
The talking heads on the NFL channel defended Lombardi's trading away 2 draft picks because he is a friend of theirs. I'm willing to bet if any other GM pulls this crap they would be seriously questioning it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

we cant evaluate anything last year because its hard to see through the Shurmur fog

Shurmur Fog ... I like that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

So next year we get
a 1
a 2
two 3's
two 4's

and a year to evaluate needs.

Im ok with that. we cant evaluate anything last year because its hard to see through the Shurmur fog

That looks pretty damn good. There's enough their to trade into a pick for just about any player we may want next year. Well played.

^^^This.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
ok tough guy....

#gmstrong

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Wrongo. Everyone I read says they are doing it right and applauding the moves.

Legend
Legend
So if he was hired not to draft somebody and get paid for passing this off as brilliance, it is dumb. Lose a year of development if they make roster. Think we will pick anybody today? So next will be taking a flier on more UFA's for camp?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The best run organization in the NFL, the Patriots, have built their team on this philosophy.

Patriots do it, they're geniuses. We do it, we're idiots?

IDK.

The patriots comparisons are misguided in my opinion. They are always picking late and trade for futures with mediocre to bad teams. They turned a late third into pick 33 in a trade with Carolina(?) We turned an early 5 into a likely future late 4. Great. How savvy.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This is awesome. There is no need drafting players who are equal or less value already on the team. Browns are joining the herd of San Fransisco, Seattle, and New England running a draft. Banner/Lombardi/Farmer/Chud are saying our coaching staff can make current players better. They are getting better value later knowing this is a weak draft.

Time to focus getting a pro bowl kicker.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm not so sure the Steeler's 4th next year is going to be late. I think they're a team on the wane.

Legend
Legend
One positive I want to add about this draft is that we didn't trade Sheard, Rubin, or Taylor.

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
MAN, I CAN *NOT* WAIT FOR THE 2037 SEASON! WE ARE GONNA BE *GREAT*!!!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

One positive I want to add about this draft is that we didn't trade Sheard, Rubin, or Taylor.

I've been waiting for that shoe to drop.

I'm happy about that as well.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
So what picks do we have left for this draft?

Legend
Legend
I was talking about the colts trade... We got the Steelers 3.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If Heckert and Holmgren did these exact same moves, I'd be hating every step.

Because the best thing they've done, is get Barkevious, who will be a go through the motions type. The next best thing they did, was "not cut Josh Gordon" , well it isn't anything but at least they didn't cut him. And that WAS H and H.

The 3rd best thing they did was get Bess, but that's suspect and he's already past 26 yrs old.
The 4th best thing they did was bring in (David Johnson, Robinson, whoever, WR from buffalo) which is almost nothing.

YOU REALLY CAN ensure a losing record for the upcoming season by what you do in the April draft.
Steelers just got Terry Hawthorne, who'll be a great corner, a good addition to Cleveland but not good enough to avoid taking over Thin AIR for 2 picks.

Being a Browns fan is the worst thing about being a Browns fan!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So what picks do we have left for this draft?

Rd 5 - #31(164)
Rd 6 - #7(175)
Rd 7 - #11(217)
Rd 7 - #21(227)

D
Legend
Legend
D
My bad. But I still think that trade might end up being for a middle 3rd, top 80 pick. I agree Indy will be a late pick.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

we gonna draft any today?

Lion, they are doing exactly what you requested.."Don't trade down getting another Center!"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Time to focus getting a pro bowl kicker.

Kudos, bugs! I was just thinking the exact same thing (and perhaps wondering why we didn't take one much earlieer)...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Official Day 3 Discussion Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard