P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/garrett-gilkey?id=2540227

Overview

Gilkey proved to be both a true student and athlete throughout high school. A two-year starter at Aurora Christian High School, Gilkey helped lead his team to a 12-1 record and a trip to the state semifinals. He was named to the all-area and all-conference team for his stellar season. Gilkey also participated in track, baseball and wrestling, in addition to being a straight-A student. Gilkey found out about Chadron State through his high school coach, and decided to go there after a 14-hour trip to visit the campus.

His first year on the squad, Gilkey took a redshirt. In 2009, he saw action in six games, and registered two starts. The following year, Gilkey started all 11 games at left tackle. He also joined the basketball team midway through the season, and played in a reserve role. Gilkey missed the first two games of the 2011 season due to his appendix bursting, but finished off the year with nine consecutive starts. Gilkey started every game of the 2012 season.

Legend
Legend
day 3 has sucked for the most part.. lol..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
NFL.com is calling him an OT, ESPN an OG.

He's 6'6 318.

Legend
Legend
His team called him a tackle.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

day 3 has sucked for the most part.. lol..

This whole draft sucked azz. I hate the Mingo pick. I like McFadden and Slaughter will be depth.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe he played OT in college but projects to OG. If i remember right i think this kid did pretty good at one of the bowls (Senior Bowl?).

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Shut up whiners. Again, value at need... with a mean streak.

Garrett Gilkey

Cleveland Browns Seventh Round: 227th Pick

Chadron State's Garrett Gilkey is an intriguing NFL prospect who has a chance to be an excellent player at the next level. He features the measurables, work ethic and mean streak most look for in an offensive-line prospect.

The big question is if Gilkey can translate his dominance against the lesser competition he faced at Chadron State to the next level.

Strengths
+ Aggressiveness
+ Strength
+ Motor

Weaknesses
- Fluidity
- Small School
Tools:

Height: 6’6” Weight: 318 pounds Arm Length: 32 5/8” 40 time: 5.33

Intangibles/Character: ESPN’s Elizabeth Merrill did an entire article centered on the strong character of Gilkey. The focus of the article surrounds how he dealt with bullies throughout his high school days. This says everything you need to know about Gilkey’s personality.

System: Gilkey will fit either a power- or zone-blocking scheme. However, his aggressiveness and nasty streak make him a better fit in a power system. The image below shows Gilkey driving a defender several yards down the field. This is a guy who works to put his opponent on his back on every play.

Pass-Blocking: Playing offensive tackle in college provided Gilkey with experience while working in space. However, he doesn’t have the fluidity needed to consistently protect the edge at the next level. Gilkey struggles to remain balanced as he works his way to the edge. This is the main reason why Gilkey needs to move inside to guard, as he’ll get more protection at this spot.

Gilkey’s strength as a player is his power and aggressiveness. Moving inside to guard will provide him with a better opportunity to quickly get his hands on the pass-rusher. His strength helps him wrap up defensive linemen and control their movements.

Run-Blocking: Gilkey is arguably the most aggressive offensive lineman in this draft class. He’s a nasty player who works to the whistle and wants to put his opponent on his back. That mentality helps make Gilkey a powerful, and potentially dominant, run-blocker.

His success as a run-blocker isn’t tied only to his raw strength and effort. He also does a good job of keeping his pads low and gaining his hands inside. Gilkey fires off the ball, keeping his pads down and driving the defender off the ball.

Gilkey’s commitment to gaining leverage is why he’s able to move inside to guard despite his 6’6” frame.

Blocking in Space: The ability to hold up in space depends on the balance and fluidity of an offensive lineman. Gilkey possesses some athleticism, but just doesn’t have the quick feet to consistently protect the edge. The quicker pass-rushers in the NFL will easily be able bend the corner and generate pressure on the quarterback.

Hand-Fighting: Because of his upper-body strength, Gilkey is able to lock on to a defender and control his movements. That will play a role in his success as a run-blocker and pass-blocker. His first move off the line is always aggressive and aimed to gain inside hand placement.

Recovery: Gilkey is able to remain balanced in most situations. However, he has a tendency to over-extend himself when trying to protect the edge against speed-rushers so that is the main reason why his future success depends on moving inside to guard.

On the inside, Gilkey can use his strong base to absorb initial contact and re-set himself. He also boasts enough quickness off the snap to keep defenders from shooting through the gap.

Technique: The consistency at which Gilkey obtains his hands inside and gains leverage is a major asset. After gaining this initial positioning, he engages the defender and works to the whistle, helping him drive defensive linemen off the ball in the running game and keep pass-rushers out of the quarterback’s face.

Future Role/Versatility: Gilkey’s future in the NFL is at the guard position. However, his experience at left tackle in college means he can potentially fill in at tackle in a pinch. That type of versatility is important to NFL teams because injuries often occur in the offensive line.

Draft Projection: Fourth round

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Run-Blocking: Gilkey is arguably the most aggressive offensive lineman in this draft class. He’s a nasty player who works to the whistle and wants to put his opponent on his back. That mentality helps make Gilkey a powerful, and potentially dominant, run-blocker.

Love that. I bet Trent does too. I think with some of the quesiton marks at guard, this guy will have an opportunity to earn the starting spot.

Legend
Legend
Special teams at least! Loved the NASTY part. Welcome aboard!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I bet he's in there at LG before the end of the season. Maybe before the end of TC.

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I thought he was projected alot higher than the 7th round.

Legend
Legend
I'm good with this pick. Would have preferred Mady who would have started at RG for us, but Gilkey can back up any non-center position on the line.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Projected to go in the 4th. Like I said, value at need.

#gmstrong
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
The Browns came away with everything I hoped for, OLB, CB, FS and OG. Gilkey will be depth at G this year and maybe become a starter at LG next year.

Great draft, well dun by the FO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns came away with everything I hoped for, OLB, CB, FS and OG. Gilkey will be depth at G this year and maybe become a starter at LG next year.

Great draft, well dun by the FO.

Now, let's see what the find in the UDFA market.. This will be fun to watch..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'm hoping that we pick up Stoneburner from Ohio State. And that's not just because I'm a homer but I think he could come in and contribute right away. But I don't know if the front office will get anyone at TE. Maybe they somehow feel content with Cameron, Davis.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Quote:

Love that. I bet Trent does too. I think with some of the quesiton marks at guard, this guy will have an opportunity to earn the starting spot.

i doubt he gets a shot at starting, Greco looked good the last 6 games and Pinkston looked good before he got sick

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i doubt he gets a shot at starting, Greco looked good the last 6 games and Pinkston looked good before he got sick

Looking good does not mean they are truly good. You are joking yourself if you don't think both Guard positions are in need of an upgrade. Is this guy it? Who knows, but the Guard position is where we are lacking on the OL right now.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
I fall in love with a late round pick every year, but you gotta youtube this guy. Ive never seen a lineman that has an 85% pancake block rate. He either does that or drives the OLB out of bounds before he stops. I know it was against poor competition but still I love the "effort" i.e mean streak.

GO BROWNS!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Look at the Youtube of the other guy from Nowhere Competition schools. they both look like Men playing w/boys. Both are prospects. I'll be happy if Gilkey can make our roster n probably will get a shot at Special Teams when we punt n fg stuff.

Learn Technique from Warhop n Sullivan see if he can take the place of Greco as the Swingman 6th guy. If pressed into service due to injuries I hope he can hold his own.

Got to see him play against real football players before I judge his skills. Easy to be nasty when you are the only Big guy around

Well actually I wouldn't know that - I was always the little big guy...lol

Hope he makes our roster n is better than the guy we got last year that I was not impressed with at all...of course posters had him penciled in right away as a starter for us at OG...lol

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hope he makes our roster n is better than the guy we got last year

Who, Ryan Millar? I only remember 2 plays he had at LOG, and both were disastrous. Nearly got Colt killed (against the Steelers if I remember correctly)....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Hope he makes our roster n is better than the guy we got last year

Who, Ryan Millar? I only remember 2 plays he had at LOG, and both were disastrous. Nearly got Colt killed (against the Steelers if I remember correctly)....

I think it was two sacks and one injured QB. It was vs the steelers and all they did was run the same blitz twice because they saw how bad he was the first time. For some reason he thought our pro bowl C can't make a block so he helps him and leveas his own man alone.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Potential nickname for Gilkey: The Large Chadron Collider.

Legend
Legend
Lol that's awesome

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Potential nickname for Gilkey: The Large Chadron Collider.

Maybe he should get past "7th round camp fodder" first.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
This is the guy I am interesting in seeing further more than anyone else in this draft. The guy seems to play with a big mean streak. I don't know much on him but it seems like some people here project him to be a guard, which would be nice considering we don't really need help at the bookends and could stand to upgrade the guard position if the opportunity presents itself.

After watching that video, the seemed pretty relentless and strong. Very raw.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 04/29/13 10:46 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
definitely a developmental player, and may even end up on the practice squad. Unless we get some kind of crazy lucky (or unlucky), there's little chance that he'll see the field this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Very possible....The life of a seventh rounder barring no injuries.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Guy kind of reminds me of a young Ryan Tucker. Man do I miss him. I will be watching him closely when training camps start.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Tucker came out of college playing Center. Came to us as a Serviceable OLman let go by the RAMS...after an elbow injury early on in his Browns career. Something lit up in him. He transformed himself from Serviceable to Very Good...he got serious about his conditioning which included his Eating habits (no more fast food stuff) also he worked very hard on his technique n prospered from the good teaching of Zierlien

JMHO...any one of these OL prospects can get serious n make themselves become relevant to a team by working hard. So so easy to be Massive n Lazy cause for years you got away with being Big n didn't have to work hard for HS n College.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
EO I honestly didn't know most of that. My memory starts when Tucker was playing really well. Thanks for the info. Sounds like this kid has the work ethic. At least on the field.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Tucker came out of college playing Center. Came to us as a Serviceable OLman let go by the RAMS...after an elbow injury early on in his Browns career. Something lit up in him. He transformed himself from Serviceable to Very Good...he got serious about his conditioning which included his Eating habits (no more fast food stuff) also he worked very hard on his technique n prospered from the good teaching of Zierlien

JMHO...any one of these OL prospects can get serious n make themselves become relevant to a team by working hard. So so easy to be Massive n Lazy cause for years you got away with being Big n didn't have to work hard for HS n College.

Yep, after his injury, something sure did light him up. It's called steriods.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 04/30/13 01:47 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

This is the guy I am interesting in seeing further more than anyone else in this draft. The guy seems to play with a big mean streak. I don't know much on him but it seems like some people here project him to be a guard, which would be nice considering we don't really need help at the bookends and could stand to upgrade the guard position if the opportunity presents itself.

After watching that video, the seemed pretty relentless and strong. Very raw.

Hopefully Gilkey has enough to finally take a pass on Oniel Cousins. People have issues with Lauvao. Wait until the human revolving door takes a few snaps. How Cousins keeps making final roster is a total mystery.

Legend
Legend
Just fyi, I mocked Gilkey at pick 225 and he went 227 to us.

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Mocks/Final/R7.aspx

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Tucker came out of college playing Center. Came to us as a Serviceable OLman let go by the RAMS...after an elbow injury early on in his Browns career.

Tab, not that it make a lot of difference Tucker signed with the Browns as an unrestricted free agent in 2002.

Are you sure he was a center? I thought he played guard for TCU. Wasn't Tucker arrested for assaulting another student?

If Gilkey can play anywhere near Tucker's capability, you'll have one awesome RG/RT. I always thought Richie Incognito would make a great fit at RG for the Browns. Gilkey be that person!!!

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Just fyi, I mocked Gilkey at pick 225 and he went 227 to us.

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Mocks/Final/R7.aspx

So you're saying we got a steal?

I've been impressed with your work and accuracy on this draft steve. Well done.

Legend
Legend
lol, thanks

E
Legend
Legend
E
First not a correction but a miss communication. Rams letting him go...I think it was for a 4th or 5th round pick letting it go.

Memphis...sorry just slanderous - Not sure but I think I remember late in his career trying to make it back health wise he was positive for steroids or growth Hormones.

As for his transformation in 03 I believe it was??? Could be wrong on the year/off season. It had nothing to do with Steroids.

1. He completely changed his diet...what the heck does this have to do with Steroids??? I remember cause it was publicized as he was dedicating himself to be the best he can - diet was the most noticeable as he was known prior to be a Sloppy Burger kind of guy.

2. Physically he became a gym rat...again this can be achieved without steroids - it is a state of mind.

3. He didn't Bubble up into some Hulk or something...he just lost the FAT n turned into muscle.

A lot of players at the end of their career especially looking to come back with injury did utilize growth hormones n stuff like that. Tucker might have been one of those not wanting to let go. But his transformation was more a mental transformation regarding dedication n technique driven which HAD ZERO TO DO WITH STEROID USE!

JMHFacts not opinion.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
It would be slanderous if it was false. It's not. He tested positive in 2007. Who knows how long he had been using it up until then. 2007 is when he got caught. He also tested positive right before he retired. To me, that points to a trend or habit.

Look, I really liked the guy when he was here. He played tough for us, no question. He was part of one the best lines we had in my opinion but steroids aided him, as they aid all players. Not sure but would be interested to know when the league began to toughen up this sort of thing.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I thought that the steroid issue was after his injury, when he was trying to work his way back into playing shape, and was something that his doctor had actually prescribed for him. (though this is from memory, and I could well be wrong)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #227: Garrett Gilkey, OG, Chadron State

Link Copied to Clipboard