Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lack of run production bothers me ! One run in two games ?

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I think we'll be alright, Water. Even the teams in the 90's struggled to plate runs in some stretches. They relied on the pitching to help them out of the slump. I think Swisher and Reynolds are all or nothing. Meaning they will produce a lot with every at-bat or swing at bad balls and strike out. We need to get those first 3 and last 3 guys on base for the middle of the order to be effective. But, 1-0 wins ball games, too.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
I think that we're going to have a lot of 5-10 run games ...... but we're also going to have a lot of low scoring games as well. We have a lot of all or nothing type hitters ..... and that leads to a lot of all or nothing scores.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I've watched Bauer's starts since he has pitched with the Tribe this season, and it seems in all of his starts he is getting squeezed!

Is it cause he is a rookie?

Is it because of his antics, and the umps are trying to keep it in check? If so that is ridiculous.

He is a good young stud pitcher, hope he can control himself on the mound, there was a couple of pitched yesterday where you could tell he really wanted to say something to the umps but held his tongue.

Frenchy #787344 05/14/13 03:43 PM
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
it could be his delivery and the amount of different pitches the throws. he may be throwing the umpires off balance as well as the hitters with them.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Well crap... This can stop any time now. Lead off triple and nobody can put a ball in play?? Pathetic.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
after the week and a half we had with the bats, they were bound to cool off. i'm more concerned with Kazmir's pitches being flat again (he has had velocity in all his starts, but in Houston and last night, the ball came out flat)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
what is up with these balls and strikes? Come on!

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

what is up with these balls and strikes? Come on!

very good article on grantland today on it (and an associated one on fangraphs from the winter).

the Indians have had consistently some of the worst framing of pitchers the past several seasons.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
but is it framing or is it umps?

the strike zone on espn gamecast is showing pitches in the center square of the 9 squares being called balls for indians pitchers for the last few games.

*edit* ok, well the pitcher just got a gift walk, so that helps.

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/15/13 02:50 PM.
Legend
Legend
Woohoo Asdrubal!

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
I think it's both. But, the more attention paid to it, the more pressure on the umps to get the calls correct (or be replaced by technology).

#gmstrong
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

I think it's both. But, the more attention paid to it, the more pressure on the umps to get the calls correct (or be replaced by technology).

I think a lot of it is the whole "human error" thing that makes baseball an interesting sport. But, the umps could alleviate a lot of the problems by everyone being consistent with their interpretation of the strike zone. Some guys give edges, some guys give letter high, some guys give the knees. But, none of them is consistent with the definition of the strike zone. Hence, pitchers and batters have to know the ump's tendencies and that should never be the case. When that happens, the umps are the star of the show and that is not what the game intended.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
I'm okay with an umpires interpretation of the strike zone, just as long as he's consistant and calls it for both teams.

Good win today. With Detroit losing to the Astros, yes the ASTROS, the Tribe is now a 1/2 game back. Here are the next two series:

7:05 pm - Fri May 17 - SEA
1:05 pm - Sat May 18 - SEA
1:05 pm - Sun May 19 - SEA
12:05 pm - Mon May 20 - SEA
7:05 pm - Tue May 21 - DET
7:05 pm - Wed May 22 - DET

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I think a lot of it is the whole "human error" thing that makes baseball an interesting sport. But, the umps could alleviate a lot of the problems by everyone being consistent with their interpretation of the strike zone. Some guys give edges, some guys give letter high, some guys give the knees. But, none of them is consistent with the definition of the strike zone. Hence, pitchers and batters have to know the ump's tendencies and that should never be the case. When that happens, the umps are the star of the show and that is not what the game intended.

I disagree. I think baseball is inherently dramatic and that is what makes it interesting. We will have plenty to discuss without grossly incorrect calls.

also, what you suggest after that statement is exactly what a technology driven system would give (a consistent interpretation of the strike zone). it works in tennis.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I, for one, would like to see balls and strikes called with the aid of technology. The strike zone is clearly defined in the rulebook. Not one umpire calls it correctly. To make matters worse, no two umpires call the strike zone the same way. To make matters even WORSE, the same umpire won't call the zone consistently from game-to-game (or heck, even within the SAME game). It's very frustrating to watch.

To be fair, it is a tough task. I've called balls and strikes through high school ball and it isn't easy at that level. I'm sure it's way more difficult at higher levels of baseball. Personally, I would like to see the umps get some help to be consistent and to call the strike zone as it is defined. I think the game would be better for it.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I think Punch said it the way that I intended it to be said. There just seems to be too many times when the better team gets the more favorable strike zone on either side of the plate. Bauer throw a great curve ball that was a strike by the replay that was called a ball. One of our guys was rung up on a called strike that was similar in velocity and curve. Basically, I'm saying call it for both sides. Therefore, my comment of being more consistent across the board. Technology would definitely detract.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
J/C ..

Indians beat the Phillies 10-3 ..... and the Astros *snicker* knock off the Tigers 7-5.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Technology would definitely detract

See I don't get that argument. Detract from what, exactly? Wouldn't you much rather see a strike be a strike and a ball be a ball from one ump to the next? No "style" or "personality" differences. Just a more consistent strike zone.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
10-4, good buddy.

Legend
Legend
Whoa ..... you're right.

I came in the house and it was the 9th and 10-3 with 1 out. I didn't check the final score.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The Tribe is looking pretty good ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Quote:

Technology would definitely detract

Just a more consistent strike zone.

^^^^^ This is what I'm saying...... It always seems like the zone is skewed toward the team with the better record. I never said that technology would enhance a baseball game. In the A's series, it didn't even do its job. The A's should have tied the game, but after review the umps decided otherwise. I just said that there needs to be more consistency across the board and others disagreed with my explanation.....

#gmstrong.
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
technology did nothing wrong in the A`s series. that was all the umpiring crew holding up their incorrect call.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man, Kipnis is unconscious lately.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 05/17/13 10:45 PM.
Legend
Legend
His swing right now is a thing of beauty. He is staying compact and quick/powerful through the box. I'd still like to see a little better overall average, as he has had a lot of 1-4 type games, but he is staying squared up nicely and hitting the ball really hard right now.

The 3 run homer int he 10th to win it was really nice.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
34,000+. That's what we need to see.

We're "Lights-Out" in the back end with Shaw, Smith, Pestano and Perez.

This team is FOR REAL folks.

And 15-4 in the last 19 is insane. And all this with our 2 and 3 hitters in the 230 range. Both are gettin' hot lately. Watch out.

kwhip #787367 05/18/13 08:35 AM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
j/c
I think we gotta get more out of Jimenez, though. Five innings per outing ain't gonna cut it. Kipnis has been pretty clutch lately.

#gmstrong.
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

j/c
I think we gotta get more out of Jimenez, though. Five innings per outing ain't gonna cut it. Kipnis has been pretty clutch lately.

Especially if we want bauer in the rotation as he racks up his pitch counts quickly

#gmstrong
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I would agree with kwhip that this team is coming along far better than I expected, but I still worry about our rotation being consistent and how quiet our bats can get at times. But, overall, it's nice to see them compete in the division. It's far different than the years I used to go to the old stadium when they started the year in the basement and ended there, too.

#gmstrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree we need more than 5 innings from Jimenez, but I can't fault Francona's move to take him out. After Smoak singled through the shift, you could see a change in Ubaldo right away. I don't know if its mental, or if its from the different mechanics of pitching from a stretch, but all the sudden his pitches were up and the confidence was gone. I almost wish we had a Tony Pena behind the plate to come out to the mound and smack Ubaldo upside the head with his mitt, like Tony did with Mesa. I'd like to see Jimenez get mad, rather than appear defeated, when he faces adversity. I guess at some point Francona's going to have to leave him in there to either work out of a jam, or take his lumps. Kind of like when your kid learns to ride a bike; at some point, the training wheels have to come off and you have to be willing to let them fall.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

j/c

Ubaldo had his worst outing in the past four games and still fanned 9 last night and if it wasn't for Hill, he would have been in line for the win.

Kipnis has been on a tear lately and while Asdrubal had previously been swinging the hot bat, he's cooled off a bit. Now, it's Kipnis who is getting hot.

Legend
Legend
Indians lead 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th on the strength of another excellent outing by Zach McAllister. Man has he been impressive this year. (as has Reynolds, who hit another HR today, and drove in 2)

Gotta think that we'll see Perez in the 9th.

Legend
Legend
Yeah ... well ...... so much for the damned lead.

2 outs and Perez gives up back to back HRs.

Neither was an iffy one either. They were crushed.

Legend
Legend
Indians have 'em loaded up with no one out in the bottom of the 9th, and Mark Reynolds coming up to the plate.

Wouldn;t it be nice to see a walk off grand slam?

Legend
Legend
Indians win it in the bottom of the 9th on fielder's choice RBI.

I always find it bizarre when a closer blows the save, but gets the win.

Zach definitely deserved better. He pitched one hell of a game.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 05/18/13 04:07 PM.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Another good game by the good guys. I would really appreciate it if the boys could give my heart a break and have a convincing win or two to wrap up this series!

-- Mark Twain [/color]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Another good game by the good guys. I would really appreciate it if the boys could give my heart a break and have a convincing win or two to wrap up this series!

Ain't that the truth!

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
It wouldn't be a Cleveland game unless we were ready for cardiac arrest. I wish I would have gotten to see the game today (too much kid and yard stuff to do). A win is a win is a win. We'll take 'em. Too bad McAllister couldn't get the win. Go Tribe!!

#gmstrong.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
McAllister certainly pitched well enough to get the win and should have.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tribe Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard