Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#788886 05/16/13 07:14 PM
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Browns sign Brian Hoyer

Add another name to the Cleveland Browns’ quarterback depth chart.

Brian Hoyer, who was released by the Cardinals this week, has agreed to a two-year deal with the Browns, according to Adam Caplan of SiriusXM Radio.

Hoyer got the first start of his NFL career in a Week 17 loss to the 49ers last season and played fairly well, at least by the standards of the 2012 Cardinals offense. He has also played for the Steelers and Patriots.

From all indications, Brandon Weeden will be the guy for the Browns this season, and Hoyer will compete with Jason Campbell and Thaddeus Lewis for the No. 2 spot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/16/browns-sign-brian-hoyer/

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sounds like another nobody that will just serve as a body in camp.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
i remember reading or hearing somewhere that lombadi likes him allot. I think he will beat out Lewis for the number 3 spot

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'll always root for a life time Browns fan who get his dream to play for us!

Was wishing for Andrew Luck...Oh well.

Of course the media right away saying Weeden now has competition for the #1 QB spot...lol Bozos

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

I'm not to sure about that...I think this team has been rumored to like Hoyer for awhile. Personally, I think it spells the end of Thaddeus Lewis at a minimum.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not to sure about that...I think this team has been rumored to like Hoyer for awhile. Personally, I think it spells the end of Thaddeus Lewis at a minimum.

Probably so....Hoyer sticks as the 3rd team player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not opposed to this signing and I'm not opposed to the signing of Brandon Jackson either. With that said, the logic of either is not obvious. Beyond that, it raises the question, why hasn't there been any similar noticeable effort at CB or TE? Again, the logic of these omissions are not obvious.

I know that this is a flashpoint among many fans so I have been hesitant to ignite more flames by asking the question. Overall I'm not unhappy with the way the FO has done its business this off season. Still, as they continue to sign players, there is an elephant in the room. I continue to give the FO the benefit of the doubt because as a fan I can't judge the grand scheme until there is a finished product. But the question is legitimate.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know nothing about Hoyer, but I liked what I saw of Lewis in that last game. He looked a heckuva lot better than Weeden.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

eo, just curious, where did you hear that?

I've heard that Luck's father was a huge Browns fan, but the only time I remember Andrew being asked, he replied that he was really big into soccer as a kid from living overseas, but that when he moved back to the States he'd latched onto the Dallas Cowboys.

Didn't ever hear he was a Browns fan, but it would be cool if he was.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Understandable ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

I know nothing about Hoyer, but I liked what I saw of Lewis in that last game. He looked a heckuva lot better than Weeden.

I don't want to see Thaddeus get replaced without merit, because in the one game I saw him play, vs Pittsburgh, he was looking off the safety, having a pump fake, and scrambling well while still standing tall in the pocket; (actually standing tall on the move looking downfield). And he had a little run of consecutive completions, if I remember right.

Oh the little things, just some LITTLE things that make me wish a player sticks around.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

From what I understand, Weeden has underwhelmed.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

eo, just curious, where did you hear that?

I've heard that Luck's father was a huge Browns fan, but the only time I remember Andrew being asked, he replied that he was really big into soccer as a kid from living overseas, but that when he moved back to the States he'd latched onto the Dallas Cowboys.

Didn't ever hear he was a Browns fan, but it would be cool if he was.

I think I remember reading somewhere that his pops went to Iggy and was a Cleveland native and fan.

Not sure about Andrew though.

Anyhow, in regard to Hoyer, Go Cats, baby! Hopefully he ends up faring a lot better than the last Iggy guy we had join the Browns.....

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Wasn't Hoyer slated to start in Arizona before they traded for Palmer? Man, there is some crazy stuff going on in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Oliver Luck was a huge Browns fan. I don't remember any such talk about Andrew Luck being a Browns fan.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I feel Hoyer would have been signed here no matter who our Qbs are.
Its funny how 2 different people can see something totally different because I though Lewis looked OK but nothing that would make me think anymore. People become! enamored with the options that open with a qb that can scramble. It has become the rage and IMO won't last long. It always comes back to reading defenses and making tight throws. Lewis hasn't much upside from what I saw.
I'm not saying Hoyer does because I haven't watched him but from what I have read he has all the tools. We will just have to see.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

i remember reading or hearing somewhere that [Lombardi] likes him allot. I think he will beat out Lewis for the number 3 spot

This is true. He was always on the B.S. Report talking him up and his buddies at NFL Network always talked about how much he loved Hoyer. He was signed to be more than a third QB, he will compete with both Weeden and Campbell.

Legend
Legend
I'm not sure what Lombardi saw in Hoyer that makes him like him so much. From what I have seen, he is exceedingly average, and folded like a cheap folding chair under pressure in college. He was a moderately talented kid, and a hard worked, but the fact is that he's been dumped by 2 organizations in the past year .... one of those teams being desperate for a QB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Hoyer has always been an awful QB under pressure. Honestly I don't see anything "special" or even "good" about his game. I'm not saying he's awful, but I don't see him as anything but a career backup.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

i couldnt agree more, he looked better than McCoy too-why he is not playing more in practice, or least traded for somebody if they really dont like him, is beyond me. He has talent.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Meh. Hoyer has modest talent, and many flaws. However, he's the new shiny QB ..... so many people will go nuts for him.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/K

Quote:

2012 Cardinals offense. He has also played for the Steelers and Patriots.

Common, lets stop and think about this, Brian's played for 3 other teams, what makes you think he's gonna come in here and WALA....Answer to all our QB problems for the last 10 years, Were gonna crack the nut to let all his talent out and shine in the NFL...Common lets be real, Brian is a back-up QB in the NFL thats what he's brought in for, it's also a nice feel good story to keep the press busy for the next three- four months, and he's another arm for camps....and if he sticks than great if not were not worse off than when we started. ..Lets not go over board with this signing.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'm not going to disagree, although I'm not sure that Hoyer is any better than Lewis. Just more bodies to compete for the job.

Probably nothing more than to see what Hoyer has by comparison with what the Browns other QBs have.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Its funny how 2 different people can see something totally different because I though Lewis looked OK but nothing that would make me think anymore. People become! enamored with the options that open with a qb that can scramble. It has become the rage and IMO won't last long. It always comes back to reading defenses and making tight throws. Lewis hasn't much upside from what I saw.

That's funny because I saw a guy who made much quicker decisions than Weeden ever did. He went back, made a read, and threw the ball. Unlike Weeden who held the ball, held it some more, and held it until he was pressured into making a stupid throw.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Meh. Hoyer has modest talent, and many flaws. However, he's the new shiny QB ..... so many people will go nuts for him.

And many others will knock him w/out seeing him play in this offense because they are more concerned w/supporting Weeden than seeing the best guy play. After all, it would be terrible to be "wrong."

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Browns sign Brian Hoyer

Add another name to the Cleveland Browns’ quarterback depth chart.

Brian Hoyer, who was released by the Cardinals this week, has agreed to a two-year deal with the Browns, according to Adam Caplan of SiriusXM Radio.

Hoyer got the first start of his NFL career in a Week 17 loss to the 49ers last season and played fairly well, at least by the standards of the 2012 Cardinals offense. He has also played for the Steelers and Patriots.

From all indications, Brandon Weeden will be the guy for the Browns this season, and Hoyer will compete with Jason Campbell and Thaddeus Lewis for the No. 2 spot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/16/browns-sign-brian-hoyer/

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/05/a_few_thoughts_on_the_arrival.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
Follow on Twitter
on May 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Brian Hoyer is an interesting addition, but figures to be nothing more than a backup, says Terry Pluto.AP file

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A few thoughts about St. Ignatius product Brian Hoyer signing a two-year deal with the Browns:

1. He was a backup quarterback in New England for three years (2009-11). He was 27-of-43 passing. Played little.

2. Was with Arizona last season, had a start against San Francisco (27-13 loss). He was 19-of-34 that day, one touchdown, one interception, 73.8 rating. That's his only pro start.

3. Hoyer's pro stats are very limited: 57-of-96 (56 percent), two touchdowns and three interceptions, 72.2 rating.

4. Hoyer is 27; he played at Michigan State. It is a bit of a concern that Arizona (hurting for a quarterback) saw him as little more than a backup. The Cards cut him after trading for Carson Palmer.

5. With the Browns, I see him as an upgrade over third-stringer Thad Lewis, but I doubt he jumps over Jason Campbell to compete with Weeden.

6. In December 2011, Michael Lombardi was working for the NFL network. He said this about Patriots backups Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett: "I think Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett are starters. I've said this many times: If I would have taken the GM job of the 49ers, I would have gone after Brian Hoyer, because I think he has all the traits and characteristics. If I were the Cleveland Browns, I'd rather have Brian Hoyer behind center than Colt McCoy. I think he's got all the traits you need, in terms of leadership, toughness, the arm strength, the ability to move the team."

7. That was two years ago, and Lombardi loves Bill Belichick and most of the Patriots. Does he still see Hoyer as a starter? Hard to know. But he still likes Hoyer, or else why would the Browns have signed him? At least the Browns do have three interesting quarterbacks. If injuries hit (as they did in 2010 when Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace and McCoy all were hurt), the Browns do have options.

8. My guess is Weeden starts and if anyone takes his job, it will be Campbell.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I'm not sure what Lombardi saw in Hoyer that makes him like him so much. From what I have seen, he is exceedingly average, and folded like a cheap folding chair under pressure in college. He was a moderately talented kid, and a hard worked, but the fact is that he's been dumped by 2 organizations in the past year .... one of those teams being desperate for a QB.

Hoyer is similar to Matt Barkley coming out of college. Both QB's had strong junior years having good talent around them. They both suffered after talent left.

As for the "dumped by two teams" thing I wouldn't put to much into it. I forgot where I read it, but Hoyer was due a bonus in Arizona, and they tried renegotiating his contract. When Arizona landed Palmer, Hoyer fell out of favor. Arizona's plan is to bring in up and comer QB.

I believe Pittsburgh was playing protect a roster guy and lost Boyer. I don't know how true, but it was rumored Steelers were trying to get Hoyer back.

To me, Lewis is a good QB, but he doesn't fit this offense. Lewis is WCO type. Boyer is a better fit. Let's see whether Lombardi can trade Lewis to the Eagles.

I see Boyer as more the same compared to Weeden and Campbell. It is still Weeden's to loose.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Actually Lombardo has liked him for a long time.They want depth on the team . Experienced depth.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf..._medium=twitter

In December 2011, Michael Lombardi was working for the NFL network. He said this about Patriots backups Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett: "I think Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett are starters. I've said this many times: If I would have taken the GM job of the 49ers, I would have gone after Brian Hoyer, because I think he has all the traits and characteristics. If I were the Cleveland Browns, I'd rather have Brian Hoyer behind center than Colt McCoy. I think he's got all the traits you need, in terms of leadership, toughness, the arm strength, the ability to move the team."

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 05/17/13 09:46 AM.
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Of course the media right away saying Weeden now has competition for the #1 QB spot...lol Bozos

Really!!! I have not seen or read this anywhere, where have you... Really!!!

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

And many others will knock him w/out seeing him play in this offense because they are more concerned w/supporting Weeden than seeing the best guy play. After all, it would be terrible to be "wrong."

You haven't been around here much in the recent past .... but I tend to make strong statements like this, and I am always willing to say that I was wrong if I am. It doesn't happen too often ...... but when it does I am fine with accepting and admitting that I was wrong. I am especially happy to say that I was wrong if I was wrong about a player who happened to become a solid player. I actually am happy to do so ... because it means that something good happened for the Browns.

I admit that we haven't seen Hoyer play "in this offense" yet, but we have seen him play in the NFL for a number of years.

last year, in the pre-season, against second stringers, (or worse) he went 8-15 for 45 yards and a TD against the Saints. He went 5-17 for 55 yards against the Eagles.(2nd string)

He did not play against the Bucs.

He went 9-15 for 96 yards and an INT against the Giants.(against many guys who are probably bagging groceries this season)

What have you seen that makes you think that he is somehow going to become the answer in this, his 5th NFL season? If he is going to be this amazing guy, why didn't anyone else try to sign him when he was released? In fact, given that the Cardinals are weak at QB, why did they let him go at all? If he has the chops to run our offense, then he should be a solid fit for Arians offense as well. Now I know that the Cards have this amazing QB depth .... with Carson Palmer, and Ryan Lindley, and Drew Stanton ..... and, of course, Caleb Terbush. (According to ESPN, anyway) The Cardinals released Hoyer, despite having pretty lousy depth at the single most important position on the football field. To me that doesn't say much for the kid as a potential QB .... even as a backup.

I know that Lombardi is high on Hoyer, and I would love for us to somehow steal a franchise guy off of waivers, but the simple truth is that this rarely happens. People will bring up certain players, and the exceptions really do prove the rule. QBs in gthe NFL these days rarely develop on the bench. They either have the skills, talent, and ability to get on the field, or they rot away on the bench. I know that Aaron Rodgers sat for several years, but again, the exception proves the rule. A QB either makes an impact early in his career, or he doesn't generally make one at all. Again, I would love to see us steal a franchise guy off of waivers .... I just don't see it as very likely. Hoyer was an extremely limited and flawed guy coming into the NFL 5 years ago ........ and I don't see where he has improved his flaws. Maybe you can tell me what you have seen that makes you think that he will be an important piece of the puzzle for the Browns?

As far as Weeden ....... what have I said about him, especially this off-season? I have said that he needs to show that he can take a big step forwards as a QB, and that the Browns should be well situated in next year's draft to move up if he isn't the guy. Even if the extra picks don't play into the equation for a potential trade for a franchise guy, they do allow the Browns some ability to upgrade other positions even if they have to trade away a few high draft picks. Do you somehow disagree with that?

I have also said that the best case scenario for the Browns is for Weeden to take that big step forward. I view any move to Campbell as a failure .... not because he is an awful player, but because he really hasn't been all that good. Campbell has been exceedingly average, and he has played 3 years in this very offense before. (something that people have alternately told me is important, or doesn't matter, depending upon their own personal bias at the QB position) However, the simple fact remains that Campbell's best year ever was a 20 TD/15 INT season. That kind of season from their QB, especially their experienced guy, would not bode well for the Browns. I would think that this kind of year from Weeden would also force the Browns into looking at the draft for a QB. I think that guys like Hoyer, and Mallett, are pipe dreams. How many QB trades lately have worked out for the teams trading for those QBs? How many teams have traded for the QB that won them a Super Bowl?

I see this team as having 2 options. Either Weeden wins the job, and takes a huge step forward, or we start looking at QBs in next year's draft. I know that you consider that a horrible bias somehow ..... but I really don't see why that would/should be considered the case.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting quote by Lombardi. We're not carrying 4 QB's so it will be interesting to see who they cut.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Interesting quote by Lombardi. We're not carrying 4 QB's so it will be interesting to see who they cut.

Well, if we went to the trouble to sign Hoyer to a 2-year contract, I'd be surprised if Lewis makes the cut (maybe PS?). I'm thinking it'll be Weeden, Campbell and Hoyer.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Well, if we went to the trouble to sign Hoyer to a 2-year contract, I'd be surprised if Lewis makes the cut (maybe PS?). I'm thinking it'll be Weeden, Campbell and Hoyer.

I don't think he's eligible for practice squad, is he? He started last year, doesn't that make him not?

V
Legend
Legend
V
First of all, what makes you think I was referring to you? LOL------lighten up. I was yanking your chain because your tone came across as superior.

I never said anything positive about Hoyer. I said I don't know anything about him.

You say we've seen him play. Have we? Or, is "seeing him play" actually just trotting out his preseason stats? I also have never liked the competition argument. If he was playing against "guys who are bagging groceries" than he was also playing with "guys who are bagging groceries." And it is a heckuva lot easier playing defense than offense when the chemistry is not there.

I am not defending Hoyer or proclaiming that he will challenge for the job. I simply didn't like how you belittled posters who are hoping for an improvement at qb. The fact of the matter is that Weeden was terrible last year.

I've mentioned this before, but only one person replied to it: Many people are assuming that the change in offense will work wonders for Weeden. It may help him, but on the other hand, this vertical, attacking offense could lead to a barrage of interceptions.

It's no secret that the Browns had to dummy down the offense last year for Weeden. I hope it doesn't come true, but the guy could be an interception nightmare if he is asked to make more big plays.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I was yanking your chain because your tone came across as superior.

You would know LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Perhaps it's because you quoted me and then responded in a superior, smart Alec, manner.

I am not going to pretend that this former UDFA, who did little in college, and has done almost nothing in the NFL is somehow going to be the answer.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice football post, Da Man's hot.

YTown, I was just giving you a taste of your own medicine. Don't be offended, man.

I am curious about what you think about my theory that opening up the offense could lead to a slew of interceptions? Seriously, I like reading your posts. You are an intelligent poster who brings a lot of insight to the board. Talk to me.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/17/13 12:18 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

where have you... Really!!!

I don't see why all have a desire to not just disagree or question me but feel a need to insult me with the silly say what crapola

1. I don't make up stuff. It was like One minute after the signing the guy with the Big Ears on NFL Network made that as part of his declaration of us signing Hoyer pretty much right before or after they did a piece on Weeden taking the #1 reps.

But to answer you YES REALLY!!!

Lombardi - quotes from 2 years ago? More his admiring of BB then Hoyer I would think.

Lombardi also admonished the Browns for taking Weeden claiming it was a desperate move - which actually in after thought I agree with that evaluation. It doesn't reflect on his evaluations of Weeden now n in this Offense.

At this moment...Its Hoyer vs Lewis.

As for some possible over evaluations of Lewis on this board. He looked most comfortable in our offense - I agree with that evaluation 100%. But what is being overlooked. Is last season was his 3rd...ALL being under ONE SYSTEM since coming into the NFL as a rookie. ALL in SHURMUR's Offense. Talent vs. comfort in a system compared to a Rookie not a good match for the system n Colt who failed as well. I am actually surprised he hasn't followed Shurmur to Philly???

Chud n Norv are excellent coaches n good evaluators. And yet at this point they have Lewis #3 n now fighting for a roster spot. We still have a lot of evaluating (we = coaches) still to come - stuff we don't see. Heck they breakdown film on practices we get a blurb here n there about a series or so. So all I got to go on is the big guns. So far they got Lewis at #3.

On the Luck thing??? Just what I burnt in my memory from something I read after he was drafted...it left a mark cause I had no prior knowledge of that n was a little disappointed he couldn't end up here. Prior I just knew NO WAY here as in what can you do. Wrong or right...I wrote that as a JOKE you really thought I was hoping for Luck to get released and come here??? Come on dawgs. My point was more on HOYER not LUCK! Correct or not about LUCK...ok I would like to be educated than wrong. Was I correct at least about Hoyer being a fan?

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Lombardi - quotes from 2 years ago? More his admiring of BB then Hoyer I would think.

Since they were both mentioned in the same breath, I would think he meant both of them. Not one any more than the other.

Quote:

Lombardi also admonished the Browns for taking Weeden claiming it was a desperate move - which actually in after thought I agree with that evaluation. It doesn't reflect on his evaluations of Weeden now n in this Offense.

Really? All I heard him say was it was a desperation move. I didn't hear him specify anything about a scheme. Do you actually believe he's changed his mind about Weeden? I believe his comments were about Weeden the QB.

I simply don't feel he believes Weeden has the goods to be a high caliber NFL starter. So far we haven't been shown that he will be. So why would you think someone that questioned him being drafted as high as he was would suddenly change their minds?

I'm glad Weeden is getting this year because I really didn't#see any other viable option. But I don't believe Lombardi cared for Weeden as an NFL QB then and I haven't seen Weeden do anything that would change his mind to this point.

Quote:

Chud n Norv are excellent coaches n good evaluators. And yet at this point they have Lewis #3 n now fighting for a roster spot. We still have a lot of evaluating (we = coaches) still to come - stuff we don't see. Heck they breakdown film on practices we get a blurb here n there about a series or so. So all I got to go on is the big guns. So far they got Lewis at #3.

I keep forgetting how getting Hoyer HAD TO BE a "consensus".

I guess everyone on the coaching staff and the FO must have agreed with what Lombardi had to say about Hoyer or he would never have been signed.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I do think that it's a possibility. No one really knows how Weeden will perform in this offense ... although it does appear to fit his abilities and skills far better than Shurmur's offense did. Will Weeden be able to adapt, grow, and learn beyond the abilities that led the former regime to draft him? That is always the question that must be asked of a 2nd year player.

One thing that encouraged me about last season was the way we drove the field to score. We may not have thrown the ball in, but we used th pass to get down the field. Trent ran in a lot of short opportunities. We improved our scoring tremendously from the year before, and we also improved the number of big plays in the passing game. Many of those were shorter passes that went 20+ yards, but that's what is supposed to happen, and it is something we lacked desperately the year before.

I thought that Weeden showed decent, though spotty pocket awareness. I do think that he got confused as the year progressed and he received more "coaching".

I think that Weeden has work to do. I think that he needs to work on his secondary reads. I think that he needs to work on his footwork. (which supposedly is much improved in this year's camp) His deep ball has been a strength in college, yet it wasn't last year. I do think that working with almost entirely inexperienced receivers worked against him. The WCO requires the QB and WR to be in sync on every play. It was said that Gordon was lazy in many of his routes. I don't know that this is the case, but it is possible that at least part of Weeden's confusion confusion could have been because Gordon wasn't where he was supposed to be. The WCO is a precision offense. Weeden seemed more comfortable early on than later in the year. (outside of the 1st horrible game)

I think that Weeden is a fairly accurate QB, and has a strong arm compared to the NFL average. I think that there are more accurate QBs, but I think that this part of his game is strong enough to be a winning QB.

I think that defenses really started throwing a lot at him trying to confuse him, especially later in the year. I think that he did get confused. I have often talked about the need of a young QB to adjust to the adjustments defenses make to take away his strengths. Weeden has to make this adjustment.

So, in short, this is how I see Weeden:

Arm: Good. I think that he has the arm strength to make any NFL throw.

Accuracy: Decent to good. I think that issues with "arm strength" were due more to inconsistent reading of defenses than insufficient strength.

Ball placement. I think that he was better than the previous QB, but I think that he can improve here.

Completion percentage: I think that he had a solid completion percentage. His 1st game really skewed his stats badly.

Ability to throw in tight windows: I think that he has the ability to complete pases in tight windows.

Footwork: TBD, Inconsistent at best last year

Pocket Awareness: Fair, He can be better here. He was better than the previous year's QB in this regard.

Leadership: Solid. I think that he can lead the team effectively.

Ability to learn: He managed to learn enough of the WCO to start game 1 last year, despite never having played in anything resembling it before. He struggled at times, but I do think that part of his struggles involved having a young and inexperienced team around him. He seems to have caught on to this new offense from what camp reports say. Hopefully he has this ability to learn, because it is vital.He'll have to learn a new offense, so this will be a vital area.

Willingness to improve: He has reportedly been working with Bess on reads, staying after to work independently with him. That shows a willingness to improve.

Work ethic: He seems willing to do the work. He has worked on game tapes at home, and has said that he has given up golf, going out to dinner, and things liek that to work on his craft. That shows a work ethic to me.

Ability to handle pressure: We'll see. He was up and down to some degree in this regard last year. However, he had as bad a debut as any QB in the Eagles game, and he managed to bounce back. That was encouraging.

Size: I think that he has the size to play the position, and that this is a plus.

Decision making: I think that he has room for improvement here. I think that a more familiar offense will help here. The WCO was a very precise offense, and a receiver out of position could screw up the whole play ... especially for a rookie QB. We'll see how he does in this offense, which should have simpler play calls, and simpler reads.

Overall, there are a lot of question marks about Weeden. Are there any problems that cannot be fixed? I don't think so. Will he be able to become proficient in enough areas he struggled in to become an effective starter? I think so. However, he still has to do it on the field.

OK, I went off on a tangent, which I am often wont to do. As far as interceptions ..... it's possible that he could have a lot of them due to the downfield passing game. On the other hand, he could find his comfort zone. We'll have to see.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Brian Hoyer

Link Copied to Clipboard