Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Is there any realistic scenario where we could end up with Porter and Cody Zeller?

that one's not too hard to envision.

draft Porter #1 overall. maybe trade down with Orlando to get something extra, but I'm not sure they would want to do it (I think they want Burke as much or more than Noel).

trade with Dallas to obtain #13 (they want cap savings to go after Dwight - we might be able to get back Marion as well if they want more room, but our #31/33 should be enough straight-up for #13 because of their situation).

Cody should be going top10, but likely later top10. Use #13+19 to obtain Cody Zeller (conceivably, he could fall to #13, but not best to risk it if that is your goal).

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

If we do draft Noel, he won't play for a few months due to his injury

Couldn't that be a good thing for a rookie that didn't play a full college season? Meaning, most rookies hit a wall because they are going from 30+ games with limited travel to around 80 with cross-country travel. It would be like calling him up midseason.

In short....yes.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Worst case scenario I am looking at Tony Mitchell at SF.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Windhorst was on the BS Report today and said the Lakers would probably trade Pau Gasol for their non-#1 picks.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Windhorst was on the BS Report today and said the Lakers would probably trade Pau Gasol for their non-#1 picks.

Pau Gasol is done.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Cody Zeller is one of the most overrated players I have ever witnessed.

I also don't like Mclemore. The guy has talent, but did you watch him in the tournament? Sorry...............don't like gaggers.

The NBA really sucks right now. The games suck. Even the playoff games. It's diluted. It's contrived. It's fake. It's more about being cool than being fundamental. It's more about show than substance.

Freaking guys can jump out of the gym, but don't know to put your ball side foot up when you are playing opposite of the ball. Guys know how to dance pre-game, but don't know how to block out. Guys know how to self promote and talk smack, but they don't know how to jump stop and get in triple threat position on the catch.

Pretty freaking lame if you ask me, but hey...................we love our highlights and the NBA is the KING OF HIGHLIGHTS! Oh my goodness............did you see that...he jumped over a car????

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
This is the best the NBA has been since the late-80s/early-90s. Even since the 2004-2005 Suns came and gave the game the kick in the ass it needed, the NBA has been in a new Golden Age IMO.

The team unity, efficiency, speed, wings, and guards of the today's NBA are just so much more watchable than the pounding of the post and rugged defense of the late-90s/early-2000s.

I know these statements are controversial to "hardcore" fans, but whatever. I've been watching basketball my entire life and I'm not afraid to admit that I prefer the playing styles of Denver, Golden State, or San Antonio (who is as "fundamentally-sound" as any team in the league) to teams like, say — Chicago or New York.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they take a 209 pound Center that has NO shooting ability whatsoever they are CRAZY. I can't believe all the love for an injured, stick figure. You don't gamble with the first pick. Certainly not a guy that skinny.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
I don't watch a lot of NBA, but I can tell you it's a million times better than the state of college basketball. At least there's non-stop action in the NBA. In the college game, you've got teams scoring under 20 points in a half regularly. They pass the ball in a mindless, random pattern for 30 seconds and then shoot a 3. Give me the NBA in a heartbeat over that junk (and of course, the NCAA officials rejected a reduction in the 35 sec shot clock because they didn't think it was needed).

I know the NBA has a too much ISO-basketball, or look-at-me-as-I-try-to-get-on-ESPNs-top-plays type of basketball, but at least they're trying to put on a show.

I admit, I didn't watch much basketball after Lebron left. I was ticked off. After he flamed out against Dallas I started watching again. I was okay he won a title, though it still rubbed the Cleveland in me the wrong way. I watched a lot of this years playoffs and they have felt fun. Golden State had a nice run with Curry becoming a star, it was interesting to watch the Thunder revert into the Lebron Cavs (one star trying to carry a team), Memphis playing great, the Clippers being the Clippers, Nate Robinson throwing up as Derrick Rose was 90% and fighting through "mental rust" and how great the Atlanta Hawks played in their series (okay, the last one was a complete joke).

The NBA is FANtastic. Okay, too much. It's more entertaining that anything else on (that's not the NHL playoffs).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If they take a 209 pound Center that has NO shooting ability whatsoever they are CRAZY. I can't believe all the love for an injured, stick figure. You don't gamble with the first pick. Certainly not a guy that skinny.

It sounds like you equating him to Shaun Bradley or Manute Bol. While they all might have the same general body type, NN has a way more athletic game. I'm not saying he's the obvious choice, but if he can put on weight, he could be the best player in the draft (and that's ultimately what you want, the best player you can take when you're selecting).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Yeah, there isn't any "special" talent in this draft ..... and more of the upper tier players still have major questions about them. I think that Noel has some elite level potential defensively, and with a defensive head coach, he could develop into a real stopper in the middle. With scorers at PG and SG, and a developing TT at PF, if we can find a solid contributor at SF, we can make it work very well with a C who is more defensively oriented. Plus, he can score down low. He has room to develop there. Maybe in time he also develops a little short jumper or hook shot. If he could develop a hook shot he could be unstoppable down low. With his height, and those long arms, combined with his overall athletic ability, I think that he can add a decent amount of good weight and still be highly effective. I also think that he could be potentially deadly as a pick and roll partner for Irving or Waiters.

In short, I think that Noel is the best potential player for us. He's not a finished product. He needs a professional strength coach. He needs to work on his offensive game. However, I think that he can be a highly effective defensive presence as soon as he's able to get on the court, and can contribute with a decent offensive game down low.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

In short, I think that Noel is the best potential player for us. He's not a finished product. He needs a professional strength coach. He needs to work on his offensive game. However, I think that he can be a highly effective defensive presence as soon as he's able to get on the court, and can contribute with a decent offensive game down low.

I can't believe some of u guys questioning Noel. The kids gonna play in the 240 range. Jeezuz.

Noel's a lighter version of Dwight Howard. ALL of his shots are slams. He swats away everything. He's a rebounding machine. He SUCKS at the FT Line. Carbon copy. And he's a shorter version of "Z". Without the outside shot.

There are no Shaq's in the NBA anymore. One piece we're lacking is an inside presence. And we're staring him in the face and people want to pass? CRAZY.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You don't settle for lesser talent either.

Who cares if he can't shoot? Shaq, Dwight and Bynum have done fine.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
jc...

I hope Noel's the defensive monster you guys are making him out to be, because if we take him we're still lacking a legit second or third scorer (depending on how Waiters develops). We gave up 101 ppg last season. We'll need to slash that number by about 10 points because we probably won't be scoring more than 92-93 ppg.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Barring some shocking free agent signing or a big trade this summer, this will be the first time Mike Brown coaches a team without a big time, top-level, mega superstar.

We all love Kyrie and think he could maybe be a superstar one day, but he's not there now, and he's never going to be at Lebron or Kobe's level. Regardless, he's not there yet. He has a lot to prove.

I'm just really curious to see what it looks like. I also like that Brown is being handed young, offensive-minded players, instead of one trick ponies or offensive players in or past their prime who never played a lick of defense (here's looking at you Wally)

Irving, Waiters, Thompson, Zeller + #1, plus maybe another decent player out of the rest of the picks we have this summer. Those guys are still young and can be shaped into good defensive players.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc...

I hope Noel's the defensive monster you guys are making him out to be, because if we take him we're still lacking a legit second or third scorer (depending on how Waiters develops). We gave up 101 ppg last season. We'll need to slash that number by about 10 points because we probably won't be scoring more than 92-93 ppg.

If Waiters doesn't develop it's all moot point. He needs to become an at least 18 PPG efficient % scorer. If Nerlens can become a shot blocking monster and average 4-5 blocks a game that will dramatically cut down the amount of points against us.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I'm just really curious to see what it looks like. I also like that Brown is being handed young, offensive-minded players, instead of one trick ponies or offensive players in or past their prime who never played a lick of defense (here's looking at you Wally).

Yes, I'm interested in this too. This is sort of the situation Pops had when he started coaching, with Tim Duncan coming out of college. He had a team he could coach a system to and get them to buy into it 100%.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'm just really curious to see what it looks like. I also like that Brown is being handed young, offensive-minded players, instead of one trick ponies or offensive players in or past their prime who never played a lick of defense (here's looking at you Wally).

Yes, I'm interested in this too. This is sort of the situation Pops had when he started coaching, with Tim Duncan coming out of college. He had a team he could coach a system to and get them to buy into it 100%.

I hope Mike Brown does work with Alonzo Gee. Kyrie and Dion remind me of Manu and Parker. Problem is that we don't have a Duncan offensively. Nerlens ceiling on defense is Duncan defensively.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

he's a shorter version of "Z". Without the outside shot.

if you think this is his assessment, then why would you want him?

(note: I don't think it's accurate at all)

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

f Nerlens can become a shot blocking monster and average 4-5 blocks a game

Ibaka LED the NBA in blocks. He averaged 3blocks/game. The best that Dwight has EVER done is 2.9blocks/game.

If Noel averages 4-5 blocks per game, then he'll be considered one of the greatest shot-blockers that ever played.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Did you watch the end of the season (when Gasol was healthy)? He was a triple double machine. On top of that D'Antoni was horrible and didn't know how to use him. If I could get him for less than the 1st overall pick I would do it. And his contract expires at the end of the season so he is a tradeable asset.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anybody have thoughts on Anthony Bennett forward UNLV? I haven't seen much of him but hear he is a potential top 5 pick. Can he play SF or is he strictly a PF? How is his outside shot?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Anybody have thoughts on Anthony Bennett forward UNLV? I haven't seen much of him but hear he is a potential top 5 pick. Can he play SF or is he strictly a PF? How is his outside shot?

Derrick Williams 2.0

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Derrick Williams 2.0

and a less athletic DW at that

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Derrick Williams 2.0

and a less athletic DW at that

D Will can shoot too.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I think the best strategy here is:

Noel at #1 - gotta take the BPA

If possible, I may trade up for:

Saric/Muhammad (though I'm wishy-washy on Muhammad). Saric is worth the risk.

and if you stay at 19 you look at:

Rice Jr/Karasev/Crabbe/Hardaway Jr

Get a shooter who can come in and score points off the bench (a future sixth man) - and also space the floor. Rice Jr gets a bump over the others because he's a superior defender.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
I like your idea! We need shooters besides Kyrie. Dion can shoot, but he needs more experience at it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm with you. Noel #1. He is the BPA in this draft. Anyone else is just a big of a bust with a lower ceiling. If we can trade for quality Vet as well then do it and then next year go after one of the Big FA's and give them a Max deal.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
N
Legend
Legend
N
someone please explain to me how Noel is better than Rudy Gobert:

http://www.rudygobert.biz/videos.html

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Haooy birthday, candy!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not an expert but I think Noel's athleticism makes him a better NBA prospect. That and every Mock draft I spent 2 minuets looking at had Gobert going past Lottery selections.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Athleticism and timing. Noel is sensation at both, Gobert struggles. e.g. Gobert's vertical is measured at 29 inches.

Gobert at #19 might be worth it (even with Noel at 1) -- he can sit in Europe for a year or two, and maybe will be decent trade bait later (or could be a 3rd key big)

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 05/24/13 03:04 PM.

~Lyuokdea
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I'm not an expert but I think Noel's athleticism makes him a better NBA prospect. That and every Mock draft I spent 2 minuets looking at had Gobert going past Lottery selections.

that's what I'm questioning. Noel is shorter with nearly 6" less in reach and Gobert's main draws are that he is extremely fast, agile, and overall athletic with a frame that can add significant strength on his already 240lb figure.

the only thing I can find is that people question Euroleague competition (and rightfully so but it's not like 1/2 season of college ball, an ACL injury, and a slight frame w/ only 206lbs right now aren't also significant).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What's the difference between Otto Porter and Tony Mitchell?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Haooy birthday, candy!

Thank you!

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

maturity

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

maturity

I'll give you that

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Noel went to Kentucky..... I'm dead serious, if Noel was coming out of Arkansas and had never had all of that high school hype, he might not be a lottery pick consideration.

yebat' Putin
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
haha

~Lyuokdea
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs win the Draft Lotto!! (Plus other basketball talk)

Link Copied to Clipboard