Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Otto Porter will be next on those lists, but Grant has also stated that he scouts extremely close to see how explosive the players are (Waiters last year - he had scouts at practice watching) and Otto doesn't pass that test IMO.

I agree. Porter was notably unathletic in the limited videos I saw of him. What immediately stood out to me with Noel was how springy he was. When it was time to jump he was up in the air high, and he was up in the air fast.

I'm not a college basketball guy at all, I only check out what is relevant to the Cavs, and an interest when I can catch a Buckeyes game. I just hope we're not missing out on a James Harden with Porter.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Otto Porter will be next on those lists, but Grant has also stated that he scouts extremely close to see how explosive the players are (Waiters last year - he had scouts at practice watching) and Otto doesn't pass that test IMO.

I agree. Porter was notably unathletic in the limited videos I saw of him. What immediately stood out to me with Noel was how springy he was. When it was time to jump he was up in the air high, and he was up in the air fast.

I'm not a college basketball guy at all, I only check out what is relevant to the Cavs, and an interest when I can catch a Buckeyes game. I just hope we're not missing out on a James Harden with Porter.

the part that I do love with Noel isn't just that he's in the air fast, but when he lands, he's either moving to his next target or jumping back into the air as fast as any prospect I have ever seen.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Also ... I could be wrong on this, but can we give them their pick back and trade them a first from this year, or does that violate the Stepien Rule? If they fell below 12 next year, we'd have to give them what would be our pick, but we'd have trouble doing that if we'd already traded a first the year before, no? We might have to do a swap pick deal, which again, isn't enough for Cousins, IMO.

Shouldn't violate the Stepien Rule. As far as I know, the rule only prohibits a team from trading it's own pick in consecutive years.

The question to ask if you're Sacramento is if you realistically believe that you'll be conveying the pick in the next 2-3 years.

N
Legend
Legend
N
ok, i've been overall negative on Noel, but I do think he's a decent prospect and a candidate for our pick (just not the slam dunk that alot of people think he is).

so, let's start today being more positive about Noel because he does have a bunch despite my worries that we will have to be patient with him and wait 3-4 years before really seeing what he can do. here are the things I like about him:

(1) Fast twitch reactions. He can react and move as quick as any big man that has come out recently. Great timing on his jump and he is either moving or back in the air for a 2nd jump once he lands.

(2) Work ethic. All have regarded him as an incredible worker and great kid going back to his high school days. I have seen nothing to counter it and Grant was at practices, so he knows firsthand if it is true.

(3) Finishing ability. I mentioned elsewhere the need for explosive finishing ability even if the result is not all dunks at the NBA level. Noel certainly has it.

(4) PnR defense. He's so quick with good instincts and with Andy as a tutor, he should be devastating as a PnR defender. He can switch to the guard when needed or step up on the screen and recover to the post.

(5) Fastbreak ability - goes with #3 above, but also he is fast and can get out on breaks and cause havoc. His ability to get steals and blocks can also setup fastbreaks for others (particularly if he hones his passing ability a bit more).

(6) Roster flexibility - it is pretty easy to devise a roster spot for him no matter what other players we pickup. If we pickup a big center, then he can guard PFs and provide help defense. If we pickup a stretch-4, then, in time, he'll be our center and guard the point of attack. If we pickup wings, then he can do a bit of both.

(7) Age - an important point as his youth means he has more time to grow and learn and develop.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Aside from the injury stuff, my biggest concern is if this guy can develop that 15-20 foot shot that keeps big men in the league forever. I have seen the guy only a few times.

I don't think that it's a given that a player can just put the work in and develop that. Some guys can and some guys never will.

N
Legend
Legend
N
he never will. think marcus camby (hopefully without the early career injury issues)

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

he never will. think marcus camby (hopefully without the early career injury issues)

If that's the case, that's definitely fine, but I think you almost have to bank on being able to land someone in FA this summer or next summer. They need another really good player, and I just have this feeling that the worst case scenario for next year is that the Cavs barely miss the playoffs and get bad lottery odds.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
just the cav's luck. they win the number #1 pick and no superstars in the draft this year.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

just the cav's luck. they win the number #1 pick and no superstars in the draft this year.

yeah, we have had the 1st pick 3 times and, so far, only have gotten to pick LeBron and Kyrie

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

yeah, we have had the 1st pick 3 times and, so far, only have gotten to pick LeBron and Kyrie

3 times in 10 years. That's amazing when you think about it. Never had the full favored odds to win it any of those times either (2003 was split odds with Denver)

Amazing enough I saw on Twitter that Lebron and Duncan are the only number one overall picks to win titles in the last 20 years. You have to factor in the dynasties and the rich staying rich in the NBA though.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It's not quite as surprising when you look at the list of players drafted first overall. Add to that the facts that #1 picks usually go to really bad teams and that its not that easy to turn around an NBA franchise.

Then again, the first overall pick in the first season beyond the 20-year cutoff date won four rings.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3 times in 10 years. That's amazing when you think about it. Never had the full favored odds to win it any of those times either (2003 was split odds with Denver)

Amazing enough I saw on Twitter that Lebron and Duncan are the only number one overall picks to win titles in the last 20 years. You have to factor in the dynasties and the rich staying rich in the NBA though.

Not to nitpick but you must mean there haven't been any other number one picks, picked in the last 20 years, to win a title. Shaq, Robinson, and Olajuwon all won titles inside that window but were picked outside of it. It is still somewhat surprising, given how much 1 or 2 star players can impact a game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Yeah that's what I meant. #1 draft picks of the last 20 years have no titles outside of Duncan and Lebron. There have been quite a few bums out of those picks though.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

hey, I would have rather had the #1 pick last year with Davis or next year for that matter with Wiggins. The Cavs have gotten very lucky though in the lottery. Just look back to the 2011 draft. What a joke of a draft that was save for 1 player.. that is why we were able to get an unprotected lottery pick (!) for what amounted to a salary dump. That is unheard of. Oh and we jumped from 8 to 1 to get Irving. Don't believe everything you read. Williams was never a serious discussion, that pick was always going to be Irving whoever ended up with it.

This year I think Noel and Porter are both great fits and worthy of the #1 pick (Noel especially.) No they aren't at Kyrie or Anthony Davis level as prospects but still very good and both fit short and long-term needs. Seriously think about if we drew 3rd or worse and both were off the board... that would suck.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
jc

for all the hand wringing going on about the quality of the #1 pick just remember that we had a 55% chance of picking #4 or worse.

The top 3 players in this draft seem to be on another level than the next group. So count our lucky stars!

[Linked Image]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
One thing about Noel that is highly underrated - he put up an absurd 1.19 PPP on the pick-and-roll at Kentucky. An Irving-Noel pick and roll combo could be deadly.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
This series has a weird 2009 ECF type of vibe. Miami has zero answer for Indianas big guys (Howard and Lewis for Orlando). Indiana has a point forward that can shoot (Turk for Orlando). Although having Wade and Bosh help

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'm liking the aggression and confidence Hibbert is playing with. I mean, I look at the Pacers and get comfortable with the idea of a traditionally big team on the interior. With some good coaching up on the rotations and help defense, you can neutralize the advantage some of these teams have on the perimeter.

That said, I'm just not too hopeful the Pacers can knock off the Heat. I mean that last sequence on offense explains why. When they get stagnant on offense, don't move the ball, and blow layups while Miami is putzing around, too, they don't build up a lead like they should. That easily should have been a ten point advantage out of the game they should be trying to close the quarter with.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The fact that the Pacers right now have 29 points and they've all been scored by Paul George or Roy Hibbert speaks volumes.

Please please please let Andersen and Hansbrough duke it out.

Edit: If that doesn't prove which way the refs are leaning, nothing does. Andersen knocks Hansbrough to the ground and shoves him in the chest when he gets back up, and Hansbrough gets a tech? Come on, man.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Was that really a double-tech? And I almost feel bad for Hansborough. He was annoying at UNC, but now he's just the nerdy kid on the playground getting bullied at the base of the slide.

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Yep.

Andersen should probably be suspended for game 6. Doubt it happens though.

Legend
Legend
Indianas bench is the lulz. Nobody on that team can protect the ball either.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Didn't know jack about Paul George going into this series. I'm on the bandwagon now. Dude's hit some tough shots to bail the Pacers out of inept possessions.

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
The Heat will win this game by at least ten. Indiana really shot themselves in the foot in the first half with missed layups and now their turnovers are killing them. Just turned it off. Looks like Spurs/Heat

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Yeah. They needed all those lost points. They are getting absolutely swarmed on and don't know how to respond. The ball handling has been nonexistent and they've allowed too many easy buckets.

And Spoelstra is just so mediocre. Why didn't he play Haslam more? He's a more athletic mid-big who's just so much more active. You can have Lebron or him guard 4's.

The Pacers are also just anything but built to come from behind.

Last edited by 4yikes2yoshi0; 05/30/13 10:25 PM.

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
You know you're in trouble when you're getting lit up by Haslem.

Pacers have three players with more than three points. Horrible.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
So apparently Udonis Haslem can hit an open mid-range jumper.

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Lance Stephenson and George Hill need to get laid into bigtime. Both were absolutely worthless tonight.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Lance Stephenson and George Hill need to get laid into bigtime. Both were absolutely worthless tonight.

Stephenson is the guy that comes to the party with a 6 pack but drinks 10.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs win the Draft Lotto!! (Plus other basketball talk)

Link Copied to Clipboard