R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if bama, buckeyes, florida state and texas are all undefeated who goes? the buckeys might be in trouble with there soft schedule.

Yeah those teams play some real powerhouses in Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Idaho, New Mexico St., BYU, Colorado St., Georgia St., and Chattanooga as part of their non-conference schedules.

have you looked at osu schedule. these teams play a harder schedule the osu does. the big 10 mave not have another team in the top 12 at the end of the year.

Yeah Florida St.'s schedule is real tough.(Sarcasm)

Pitt ( 6-7 )
Nevada ( 7-6 )
(Div. I-AA) Bethune-Cookman ( 9-3 )
Boston College ( 2-10 )
Maryland ( 4-8 )
Clemson ( 11-2 )
NC State ( 7-6 )
Miami (Fla) ( 7-5 )
Wake Forest ( 5-7 )
Syracuse ( 8-5 )
Idaho ( 1-11)
Florida ( 11-2 )

*last years records

Most Pre-Season rankings have 4 or 5 Big Ten teams in their Top 25 and only 2 or 3 ACC teams.

once again you need to look at this years schedule. come back at the end of the season and tell me how many teams the buckeys play that are ranked in the top 50. the only teams I see giving them any competition is Michigan and the badgers.

rich52 #798898 07/22/13 12:28 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Looks like Bradley Roby was arrested over the weekend for an altercation as well. At least in this case he didn't assault the daughter of a cop, so he has a chance to have charges dropped which will keep him around. Unbelievably stupid though.

I think they can get by without Hyde, but not without Roby.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just read the article on ESPN about Hyde and i have to wonder why he's being dismissed before he has even been arrested or charged with anything. Not condoning assaulting women but the article just states that he's a person of interest. That could mean many things.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
rich52 #798900 07/22/13 12:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

once again you need to look at this years schedule. come back at the end of the season and tell me how many teams the buckeys play that are ranked in the top 50. the only teams I see giving them any competition is Michigan and the badgers.

We will do just that, at the end of the season we will compare Florida St.'s schedule to OSU's.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #798901 07/22/13 01:23 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I just read the article on ESPN about Hyde and i have to wonder why he's being dismissed before he has even been arrested or charged with anything. Not condoning assaulting women but the article just states that he's a person of interest. That could mean many things.

The same thing happened with Jake Stoneburner last year. There was an altercation with a woman (I think his girlfriend), he was arrested and booted off only to be reinstated when the charged were dropped. My guess is that Meyer isn't going to put up with questions from the media and elsewhere about it. Hyde will probably be brought back if the charges get dropped, however I don't think that will happen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I understand, but according to the ESPN article Hyde hasn't even been charged. He's just someone who was mentioned in the report as a person of interest to the Police.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
rich52 #798903 07/22/13 01:50 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay.

I wasn't saying it was a tough schedule, but you failed to mention that many top teams play weak schools. Dawg66 listed some of them. Therefore, I don't see what the big deal is.

dawg66 #798904 07/22/13 01:53 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I understand, but according to the ESPN article Hyde hasn't even been charged. He's just someone who was mentioned in the report as a person of interest to the Police.

Yes, but I think they are taking him off the team until the legal process works itself out. It's just a headache and distraction right now. If the charges are dropped, which I think there is a very slim chance, then he will be reinstated.

The school doesn't have to wait on something like that. Playing college football is a privilege, not a right.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
ACC says they would have ejected Clowney for "The Hit"

I don't know how much cleaner you can get than running upfield and engaging the runner as he did. Yes, he slid upwards and made contact with the facemask (causing it to jettison), but there's not that much a defender can do there unless we ask them to dive at the runners knees.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ney-for-the-hit

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

It's just a headache and distraction right now. If the charges are dropped, which I think there is a very slim chance, then he will be reinstated.

A source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that there is surveillance video of the incident that's contrary to what is being reported.

From ESPN

"El Guapo" might not be in as much trouble as was earlier reported.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Quote:

Okay.

I wasn't saying it was a tough schedule, but you failed to mention that many top teams play weak schools. Dawg66 listed some of them. Therefore, I don't see what the big deal is.

hey dog, my original post on the subject was what happens if and I say if [bama, buckeyes, noles, longhorns and the ducks] all finish undefeated. who plays in the national championship game? I said that the buckeys soft schedule of non league and leagues games this year will hurt the chances of playing in that game.

rich52 #798908 07/23/13 10:17 AM
Legend
Legend
It's coming...Division 4 for College Football
July 22, 2013 12:54 pm CT
Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com

The gravity of the situation hit home when a conservative administrator -- a wrestler in his younger days and AD at academically elite Stanford for six years -- was the one to finally give voice to the upheaval we'd been hearing about eor months.

While it's not a full-on breakaway from the NCAA that's coming to college football, the look and feel of the sport will never be the same. Frustrated at a bogged-down, ineffective NCAA, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Monday he and his BCS conference peers favored "transformative change" in college athletics.

He later identified that change as the possible establishment of a so-called “Division 4” of the highest level of football-playing schools.

"We've made it too easy to get into Division I," Bowlsby said Monday at his conference's media days, "and too easy to stay there."

So who needs the MAC -- or Mountain West or any of the non-BCS schools that get table scraps as it is? Certainly not the BCS schools about to formalize what has been a de facto for-profit model driving college athletics.

What we'd been hearing for those months now seems to be heading for reality. There is going to be a further subdivision at the highest level of college football. It last happened in 1978 when FCS (Division I-AA) was created. That relegated 250 or so schools to the non-revenue purgatory that is I-AA.

Get ready for an expansion of that purgatory for the have-nots. The message was as clear as the division between the BCS and non-BCS conferences. ACC commissioner John Swofford said it could come within six months. Bowlsby said an NCAA special convention may be needed.

A special convention in 1985 established the death penalty for chronic NCAA violators. The next special convention may mean football death -- at least at the top level of the game -- for every hyphenated, directional school below the BCS Mendoza Line.

Get ready, then, for Division 4, where those BCS schools (Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, ACC, SEC) are going to set their own rules.

• Theoretically they not only will be able to pay players, but pay them as much as they want -- $5,000, $10,000 per year? Why not? In the new governance structure, there'd be no MAC schools to vote it down.

• Forget a four-team playoff. How soon could Divisiom 4 officials institute an eight-teamer? As soon as they damn well please.

• Might as well forget "Division 4" as a formal label too. Couldn't the schools sell naming rights since the NCAA that now will only nominally oversee big-time football won't have much of a say?

Think of the new subdivision as the NFL -- Nike Football League – if the shoe giant wins the contract.

• There would be fewer chances for legal liability. Instead of the NCAA fighting the O'Bannon lawsuit, Division 4 could openly negotiate with video game manufacturers, use players likenesses, numbers, names and faces -- and distribute the revenue back to the players.

Once again, what could the NCAA do? Bowlsby's statements suggest the association has lost leverage.

• Division 4 could set its own scholarship limitations, make its own enforcement rules. Bowlsby specifically expressed frustration at NCAA enforcement which has not distinguished itself lately -- or at all. Think of Division 4 setting its own recruiting rules.

Part-time students playing football? Why not? Remember, its Division 4's game, money and future.

“It [college football] is professional in many ways,” said Ohio University professor Dave Ridpath, an academic reformer and NCAA critic. “They could go to school on their own time.”

Don't worry about the NCAA tournament. In this setting, the BCS schools would participate in it. The rub would come when Michigan plays a Miami (Ohio) that doesn't pay its players some kind of stipend. But what, really, would be the difference from now? Both sides already admit a competitive and recruiting disparity.

NCAA president Mark Emmert released a statement saying the Association's board and executive committee welcomes discusssions on how the governance process can be improved.

"Many good ideas are being suggested," Emmert said, "including ways to increase the involvement of practitioners."

Elsewhere, Bowlsby's comment reverberated around college athletics.

"It will surprise me if they [BCS conferences] don't get what they want," said Karl Benson, the Sun Belt commissioner.

And if they do?

"The other five conferences will have to decide at what level we can afford to participate in it," Benson added.

The MAC's Jon Steinbrecher, commissioner of another impacted non-BCS league, said the main issue is "a great level of frustration at NCAA governance. ... We operate in silos. What we've not had is a national dialogue of what the issues are."

If the BCS schools follow through, they are doing it because they can -- because they have. You might have noticed the BCS conferences are taking in about 70 percent (conservative estimate) of the $7.2 billion produced by the College Football Playoff beginning in 2014. That's after taking in 85 percent of the BCS money since 1998.

Bowlsby went so far as to say Monday that those five conferences may play games amongst themselves. No non-BCS schools (Conference USA, MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West and American -- beginning in 2014). The Big Ten is already making noise about not playing I-AA (FCS) schools. What would be the big deal with cutting out the non-BCS schools?

“There are going to be winners and losers in there,” Bowlsby said bluntly.

Truth to be told, the likes of the Sun Belt were happy to get those table scraps. Benson long ago understood the economics. So did long-bleating Boise State. It owes a lot of whatever brand loyalty it has developed, success it has earned to the BCS. If the BCS commissioners survived the anti-trust concerns that went with establishing that college football playoff, building a new luxury home in Division 4 to house it is going to be easy.

“I think some kind of reconfiguration of how we govern is in order,” Bowlsby said.

So the time has finally come, the time we've been hearing about for months, years. We knew that financially the BCS conferences were about to flex their significant muscle. Now they're gaining further control of college athletics. By the way, don't get in their way because complete secession from the NCAA is possible, Bowlsby said, though only as “a last resort.”

Somewhere you can hear saber rattling. The commissioners are using gummed-up NCAA legislative process as an excuse, but really this about them making their own rules so they spend their own money the way they see fit.

The player stipend debate has been disaster and perhaps the last straw for the BCS schools. Northern Iowa has almost nothing in common with Texas but has the ability to vote down a stipend because it can't afford it. What the BCS commissioners are saying: Why is Northern Iowa voting on the issue in the first place?

“Northern Iowa and Texas aren't much alike,” said the same Bob Bowlsby, who also spent eight years as AD at … Northern Iowa.

While this might destroy the innocence of colligate football, assuming you believe there was a drop of innocence remaining to begin with, I think it's actually a step in the right direction. We could see the big boys play each other more often, an expanded playoff, drop the charade of "the student athlete" at these big-time BCS programs, and give these kids the benefits of what they're actually doing, which is playing semi-pro football.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
what I want:

4x16 team conferences (and noone else)

conferences can decide how to determine the winner, but I suspect that most would choose to break it up into 2x8team divisions with the champion from each side playing each other in a championship game.

then, each of those conference champions playing in the 4team playoff that is already setup for 2014 (so, it really is an 8 team playoff).

------------------------------------

that leaves the question of which conference gets demolished. it would seem like the BigXII is the obvious solution because it has more teams that may not make the final 64 team count and ND has already aligned itself with the ACC (which matters).

somone just needs to make sure that Kansas is included. it doesn't matter for football, but the conferences would likely spill over to basketball and Kansas is important IMO.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A few years ago while standing in line at a catered lunch at work I told a coworker that eventually you will have four 16-20 team conferences and the rest of the schools will have to drop to division I-AA. The remaining schools would have so much power over the NCAA they could get anything they want or just leave the NCAA all together. Another coworker overheard and laughed at me and called me an idiot. Mind you this was before Nebraska left the Big 12. I told him you will see it's all about the money.

Over the last few year with all of the conference shifting I kept reminding him of that discussion and he has conceded at times. I'm going to have to print this article out for him to read.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
rich52 #798911 07/23/13 11:37 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Okay.

hey dog, my original post on the subject was what happens if and I say if [bama, buckeyes, noles, longhorns and the ducks] all finish undefeated. who plays in the national championship game? I said that the buckeys soft schedule of non league and leagues games this year will hurt the chances of playing in that game.

4 teams aren't going to finish undefeated.

I do believe Ohio State is going to get sympathy votes if they run the table. As I said before, if they pull that off that will have mean they won 25 straight games, and a conference title match to get to that point.

FSU appears to play a tougher schedule, but don't bank on Clemson or any of those other ACC teams to be great. Even with Florida, they play obviously in a tough conference, and can drop a few games making that schedule look worse.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
I never liked Charlie Weis much, but this is hilarious. I don't know if it's really a good policy to be telling your current team that they are a pile of dung though.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/396349-weis-blasts-his-own-program

Quote:

oaches take all manner of preseason approaches, but few show up as blunt as Charlie Weis did for Big 12 Media Days. Here are three of Weis' beauties from his 20-minute Q and A with media ... For starters: "We're 1-11 and picked by everybody to finish last in the league, and that's justifiable. If I were you, I'd pick us in the same spot." ... The capper came when someone asked about Weis' [recruiting ]pitch, given the miserable state of the Jayhawks program. Weis hit on KU's academics, its facilities set-up and the lure of immediate playing time. He says he puts it this way to the typical high school recruit, referring to players already in the program: "Have you looked at that pile of crap out there? Have you taken a look at that? So if you don't think you can play here, where do you think you can play?".

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ha ha ha....well it is Kansas football.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't know if it's really a good policy to be telling your current team that they are a pile of dung though.

They went 1-11 and in those 11 losses they had an average margin of defeat of over 20 ppg... and he didn't really recruit any of them.

I think it's a card you can play once, he played it... from here on out what happens will reflect on him.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
personally, I don't think it's a card you should have in your deck (especially given the circumstance that it's at media days, so it feels planned out and not an emotional response after a defeat). but, hey, it's out there now.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
hey, at least Hoke is making sure one family will leave "The Game" happy this year

(seriously though, it's a classy gesture. h/t to him for it)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...game-brady-hoke

Quote:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The 12-year-old Ohio State fan who named his cancer "Michigan" will attend the rivals' late November game as a guest of Wolverines coach Brady Hoke.

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
Really classy about that 12-year old kid. Keep on fighting kid!

June Summertime 2024!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Ohio State is ranked #2 in the Coaches Poll. Should be an exciting season for us Buckeye fans.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ohio State is ranked #2 in the Coaches Poll. Should be an exciting season for us Buckeye fans.

It's amazing the lack of respect y'all get.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Michael Dyer to Louisville makes things interesting. He's very talented and a great fit with Teddy.

Legend
Legend
I don't know if we deserve to be ranked that high - I personally hate preseason rankings... Wuld rather they come out after a week or two into the season

But I guess it gives us something to talk about - hopefully we can live p to that ranking - defense really makes me nervous

<><

#gmstrong
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Braxton Miller is going to have to play out of his mind for us to earn that ranking that was given to us.

Of course, high preseason rankings can help, so I'm not going to complain.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Braxton Miller is going to have to play out of his mind for us to earn that ranking that was given to us.

Of course, high preseason rankings can help, so I'm not going to complain.

He's gotta step up his passing game. I actually think the 3 game suspension may be a blessing in disguise, because although they have depth, they may lean on Miller a bit more.

Buffalo will be a stroll in the park, but I do think they will be tested in both SDSU and Cal. Favored probably double digits, but tested.

I think the only team I'd argue ahead of them is Georgia. I'm not putting Oregon with a new coach above them, and Stanford I guess is arguable.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Did you guys see that Michigan is installing a retractable roof on their stadium for the 2015 season? The early rendering is below.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Did you guys see that Michigan is installing a retractable roof on their stadium for the 2015 season? The early rendering is below.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Let's just hope the Browns aren't forced to copy the architectural design.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Looking forward to watching this kid on Saturdays.

http://youtu.be/aCRZteu1H4w

I'm just thankful we won't ever have to seem him on Sundays twice a year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe we'll have to see him on sunday 16 times every year

....or 19 times!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
That would mean we only won 2 or 3 games this year ...

Dave #798930 08/03/13 11:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That would mean we only won 2 or 3 games this year ...

If that means winning a few superbowls vs. a mediocre 5-7 wins this year, I'll gladly take it.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Being a Cleveland sports fan is like being in a bar with a sign that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". I'm not getting any younger, you know.

Dave #798932 08/03/13 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Being a Cleveland sports fan is like being in a bar with a sign that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". I'm not getting any younger, you know.

I'm stealing this

D
Legend
Legend
D
Go ahead and steal it, I did.

Dave #798934 08/03/13 11:50 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe we'll have to see him on sunday 16 times every year

Watch the Lions get Clowney

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--ncaa...-230350855.html

good thing for Manziel that the NCAA still wants to make money off of him. that means he either gets a slap on the wrist of the investigation takes until conveniently after A&M is out of the title race.

Reggie Bush - out of college - go after him

Buckeye5 - slap on wrist, until Sugar Bowl done, then throw the book at them and Tressel

Cam Newton - in midst of champ run, so make up a rule out of thin air (it was his parents, not him - nevermind the Reggie Bush situation) and pretend nothing happened

UNC - throw the book at a school noone cares about

Miami - not in title contention, so try to throw the book at them, but mess up so horribly that a bunch of people quit and the school/persons threaten to sue your pants off.

good times, NCAA, good times

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum College Football

Link Copied to Clipboard