Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Everyone rags on Manzel, but what about the two guys who kept getting in his face? He was provoked. Why didn't they get any criticism? Defensive guys were signing mock autographs, pointing at him, getting in his grill, etc. Yet, when the kid finally goes off, it's all his fault?

yes.

he is the QB of a potential natl'l title contender.
they are defenders doing whatever they can to get under his skin.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah I never said he wasn't provoked. I'm sure Peyton Manning was/is as well ... and Andrew Luck for that matter (just giving an example of a younger guy).

Manziel put himself in that position to begin with, so he kind of brings it upon himself. JMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Everyone rags on Manzel, but what about the two guys who kept getting in his face? He was provoked. Why didn't they get any criticism? Defensive guys were signing mock autographs, pointing at him, getting in his grill, etc. Yet, when the kid finally goes off, it's all his fault?

It comes with the territory. LeBron's dealt with that his whole career, starting at a time when his maturity level probably wasn't ready for it.

It's called professionalism.

If you want to shut them up, there's a real quick way to do it, that's far more effective than running your mouth.

Not to mention...it's the opener against Rice. It's a little more understood if it's a rivalry game, or there's something on the line.

Running your mouth against an opening day creampuff isn't the best look.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Do you think Oregon players didnt talk smack to Cam Newton in the title game? Cam kept his cool and didn't retaliate.

Legend
Legend
Also I just wanna say I LOVE this commercial.

I love other sports like Basketball and Baseball, but football is king. It's like watching violent chess.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
jc

Manziel hasn't done anything that people like Michael Jordan, Bird, Reggie, T.O., Mawse, Richard Sherman, Ray Lewis, Ali, Jim Brown, and so many other players have trash talked just like Manziel has and will. And so be it, if you don't like it, then stop him. But don't crucify him because you wanted him to be the next Tim Tebow.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I don't want to get in between yall and your Manziel talk, but #5 Georgia vs #8 Clemson is a hell of a game. Its reported that 22 NFL scouts are in attendance and Im sure all NFL teams are watching. Good game, especially for you armchair GMs at home.

Even with Gordon and Little, Id take Sammy Watkins with a mid 1st round pick.

Legend
Legend
Tahj Boyd has dropped some NFL caliber dimes to guys tonight, just incredible accuracy. He has every physical tool I want from a QB. He just needs to polish his footwork and reading defenses.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Boyd is looking real well and Georgias RB Gurley looks like a 1st rounder as a sophomore.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
amazing game...

as for Manziel. I kinda love the spunk and moxie. We as a society hate the boring players that you dont see give any personality and Manziel just shows spunk with some attitude and we dont like it.

I dont know...I think that if you can back it up and get it done...you can say/do whatever you want. If it doesnt affect your game...do it. I like that hes a .. He has some attitude and I like it. I dont necessarily support cocky, but if you can back it up and it doesnt negatively affect you or your team...why not. It just makes the opponents more mad and helps get them off their game cuz their focus leaves the game and focuses on getting the guy they dont like.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Georgia also has ex Browns DC Todd Grantham.

Its unfortunate Georgias QB is like 1-10 against top 10 teams. He might get the knock on him that he cant win big games, but he is in the SEC against Alabama, LSU, and Florida. Brady Quinn couldn't win big games either but Georgias QB will be better in the NFL than Brady Quinn.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Future Cleveland Browns QB Brett Hundley looked great against the Nevada Wolfpack tonight. 22/33, 274 yards passing, 63 rushing yards, and 4 combined TDs (2 passing, two rushing).

cfrs15 #798989 09/01/13 01:51 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I hope not. That means we'll be picking in the top 5 in at least one of the next 3 years. Wouldn't mind having him, but like Teddy, Tahj, and RG3 before them, they'll be just out of our grasp.

I wouldn't mind a David Fales though. He looks pretty nice and polished.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
I guess it makes sense why A&M kept him from the media up until that Bama game last year. Should have kept that stranglehold. Im just very glad that Braxton Miller is a class act who actually tries to avoid trouble ( Terrelle Pryor was known to be a real piece of garbage around campus when i went there and was almost as bad as Manziel). Manziel continues to confirm my theory that anyone who in any way supports LeBron James is a DBag and a clueless ignorant scumbag.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I killed it in college picks this week.

I'm in a pick 'em with confidence points. 100 points is usually considered a pretty good week.

I'm at 143 with 3 games, and a possible 40 more points left.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Bridgewater is playing a crap Ohio team, but he has made a couple of pretty awesome throws. One throw he was pressured, rolled out to his right, and threw a perfect ball about 30 yards downfield for a touchdown.

cfrs15 #798993 09/01/13 05:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Dyer and Teddy are going to be pretty unstoppable.

V
Legend
Legend
V
First time I REALLY watched Bridgewater. Unreal!!!

This kid is good. I can't believe how accurate he is. He throws those swing passes and outs perfectly. The guys never slow down. He is the real deal and he will be the #1 overall pick in the next draft.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

First time I REALLY watched Bridgewater. Unreal!!!

This kid is good. I can't believe how accurate he is. He throws those swing passes and outs perfectly. The guys never slow down. He is the real deal and he will be the #1 overall pick in the next draft.

Maybe. I'd still pick the Freak in front of him if both QB and DE were holes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
QB > DE

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

QB > DE

False perception. All positions are as equally important, but Clowney is much better at his position than Teddy.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Based on the money QB's get, I wouldn't say all positions are equally important.

Thinking Clowney is better at DE than Bridgewater is at QB is one thing, but if you don't have a franchise QB and you're sitting at a pick where you can get one, and you pass for a DE, you're a joke of a franchise.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Based on the money QB's get, I wouldn't say all positions are equally important.

Thinking Clowney is better at DE than Bridgewater is at QB is one thing, but if you don't have a franchise QB and you're sitting at a pick where you can get one, and you pass for a DE, you're a joke of a franchise.

I think with the expansion of a passing game/media love affair growing stronger every passing year since Broadway Joe, we have a false sense of perception that QB is of utmost importance. At the end every position (Minus outliers like kicker, punter, LS, KR, etc., etc.) serves as equally important. We've seen just as many teams succeed in the playoffs with bad QBs and good running games and/or defensive games as teams that have more of a passing offense. At the end of the day it's just about the coach's gameplan. Though I will say if you do pick a DE over a QB you better expect some harsh backlash from the fans.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
There may have been some that succeed in the playoffs, but they rarely win the SB. Outside of Dilfer, who wasn't an elite QB in recent history who won it all?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Flacco
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Rothlisberger
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner
John Elway
Brett Favre
Troy Aikman
Steve Young

17 Super Bowls

vs.

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson

2 Super Bowls

Since 1995.

Give me a Quarterback and I'll take my chances that way.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Both Eli and Ben weren't elite during their first SB win. I still wouldn't call Flaco elite either, though he is close to it. So that's 1/2 of the QB's who won it are elite (Mannings, and Ben), but since the SB winners are the most talented team in the entire NFL, it'd make sense for them to have some of the best at all positions, not to mention the repeat winners will also throw off stats. If you really want to see how equal a QB matters, you should look at least at SB contenders which would still be at 50% having elite QBs and 50% having good ones (Did the last 10 years considering the NE skews it a bit), but truthfully you'll want to look at who is getting in the playoffs, and where their strength lies for a better understanding on it.

Legend
Legend
They way Ben, Eli, and Joe all played in the playoffs their SB year was pretty elite.

Joe last year was phenomenal in the playoffs... and got paid very well for it.... same with Eli, he played out of his mind for both his SB runs.

I'm in agreement... if there is a franchise QB on the board and we need one and don't take one we'd be the stupidest team in the league.

with that said, we can argue all day over Clowney vs Bridgewater.... both I think will do very well in the NFL... but it'd be a good debate on who would fair better.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree.

For example ....... I love what JJ Watt has done, and I think that he is an absolutely incredible player ...... probably one of the top 3 best defensive player in the league (and maybe THE best) ......... and I would still take Luck over him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

They way Ben, Eli, and Joe all played in the playoffs their SB year was pretty elite.

Joe last year was phenomenal in the playoffs... and got paid very well for it.... same with Eli, he played out of his mind for both his SB runs.

I'm in agreement... if there is a franchise QB on the board and we need one and don't take one we'd be the stupidest team in the league.

with that said, we can argue all day over Clowney vs Bridgewater.... both I think will do very well in the NFL... but it'd be a good debate on who would fair better.

Ben had an awful superbowl. If it wasn't for the refs, they would have completely blew it. I don't think Ben threw above 40% in that game. Eli had an OK game, but I'll give you Flacco as he actually had a good game.

Again, it really depends on how your team is set up on who you should draft. I'd rather have Luck than Watt too, because I think our team needs a QB not a DT. But if I'm the Raiders, I'd have to pick Clowney, because when you draft a QB and don't give him an o-line, wr and a running game*, things get messy quickly.

*Darren McFadden counts as 1/3 of a running game as he'll most likely just play 1/3 of any given season.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Are you really making the argument that QB isn't the most important position?

cfrs15 #799007 09/02/13 12:52 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Are you really making the argument that QB isn't the most important position?

Yes.

C
Legend
Legend
C
O.K. just wanted to see if I had to take you seriously or not, proceed.

cfrs15 #799009 09/02/13 01:24 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL ; Hard to swallow that one and keep moving

cfrs15 #799010 09/02/13 02:00 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Well, here's the thing about using best players as a measurement.

Last year we could say that ILB was just as important as QB or RB, as both teams had some of the best at that position.
Two years ago we could have said it be DE, as they both had probowlers. Three years ago, OLBs. Four years ago Safeties. It just so happens that the most talented teams in each division have a lot of extremely talented players. Saying that the QB was the most important reason they got their is narrow minded.

If you really want to pick a piece that got them there, it's no one who is playing, it's the coach. Because those coaches who won that superbowl are all first ballot HoFers. A great coach is what you need the most, and unfortunately the hardest thing to find.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did THROW LONG hack your account?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

A great coach is what you need the most, and unfortunately the hardest thing to find.

From my perspective, I'd rather have a great QB than a great coach. But that's just me.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

A great coach is what you need the most, and unfortunately the hardest thing to find.

From my perspective, I'd rather have a great QB than a great coach. But that's just me.

If you want to be the Bengals/Detroit rather than San Fran be my guest.

Legend
Legend
I see your point, but I wouldn't consider Dalton/Stafford great QB's either. I'd take Kaepernick over both of them and it isn't even close.

Looking at it from the other side. John Fox was fired in Carolina. Now he has Peyton Manning and is widely thought to be representing the AFC in this year's championship.

Mike Shanahan's teams in Denver were very bad ... after Elway retired. He then got RG3 and made the playoffs.

Pete Carroll bounced around the league. He made the playoffs with Wilson.

Legend
Legend
What "great coach" doesn't have a great QB?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

I see your point, but I wouldn't consider Dalton/Stafford great QB's either. I'd take Kaepernick over both of them and it isn't even close.

Looking at it from the other side. John Fox was fired in Carolina. Now he has Peyton Manning and is widely thought to be representing the AFC in this year's championship.

Mike Shanahan's teams in Denver were very bad ... after Elway retired. He then got RG3 and made the playoffs.

Pete Carroll bounced around the league. He made the playoffs with Wilson.

I'd take his Alex Smith led teams, and I think I'm the biggest Alex Smith hater around. But Peyton Manning is an outlier. I'd rather have him than anyone. I don't even need a coach with him. I don't even need an O-Line. I'll just play 7 vs. 11 with Peyton and still feel like I can go 16-0 with him. He's just a bad man.

Shanahan really doesn't get enough credit. He had some really horrible teams with Denver. TD was really the best thing about the Broncos postElway's retirement, as he was going to be the best RB of that era and one of the best RBs ever. But we all know that he got injured and his career got ruined. But throughout those years being led by Jay Cutler, Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, the list of awful running backs, sans Clinton Portis's few seasons, and he still only had 1 losing season. I would not categorize him as a bad coach at all. He's actually probably the best run first coach since Marty.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum College Football

Link Copied to Clipboard