Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Legend
Legend
C
The kicker for the Pitt Panthers last name is Blewitt.

cfrs15 #799018 09/02/13 09:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Jamies Winston has been perfect, just unreal.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

QB > DE

False perception. All positions are as equally important, but Clowney is much better at his position than Teddy.

Okay..........I think you are nuts for thinking all positions are equally important. Every head coach and GM in the league says it is a quarterback driven league. Do you know more than them?

Furthermore, I live in Columbia, SC and Clowney isn't all that. He is a physical freak, but he takes a ton of plays off and is often taken advantage of. I actually think Sutton is a better DE than Clowney.

Bridgewater is unreal. He is so, so accurate. So poised. The guy is the real deal. He'll be a much better NFL player than Clowney and it will be a position that is more important.

Legend
Legend
You had me going a little bit until I saw you say Sutton was better. So where does Suton rank? I know Anthony Barr is better than him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Please don't misunderstand. Clowney will go before Sutton in the draft.

I am saying that Sutton plays his position better. He is much more stout against the run. He seals his edge, which Clowney doesn't.

It's not news for people down here. Clowney has had conditioning issues. He takes plays off. He charges up field and loses containment. He is easily sealed.

Yes, he is a freak. He makes huge plays. He just isn't fundamentally sound or in very good shape.

Oh...............and Sutton is a very underrated player.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

QB > DE

False perception. All positions are as equally important, but Clowney is much better at his position than Teddy.

Okay..........I think you are nuts for thinking all positions are equally important. Every head coach and GM in the league says it is a quarterback driven league. Do you know more than them?

Furthermore, I live in Columbia, SC and Clowney isn't all that. He is a physical freak, but he takes a ton of plays off and is often taken advantage of. I actually think Sutton is a better DE than Clowney.

Bridgewater is unreal. He is so, so accurate. So poised. The guy is the real deal. He'll be a much better NFL player than Clowney and it will be a position that is more important.

the best teams in the NFL do not live and die by their QB's. The good teams do, however. This causes many to think that QB's are the end all be all. But at the end of the day they're just another piece. If AD goes down the Vikings suck. If AJ Green goes down the Bengals suck. If Peyton Manning goes down the Broncos suck. If the expansion Browns offensive line sucks, everything sucks. Everything is interconnected and interdependent of each other on a team. QB's will touch the ball 100% of the times on offense, and with calling the plays, have made them the figurehead of the offense. This gives them most of the credit when things go wrong, and most of the blame when they don't. However, we know they're just as strong as their weakest link. The best teams have set up their teams to where a Matt Cassell can take over an succeed without missing a beat, despite not being a future HoFer.

Also, there's no way Clowney is not the star jewel of this class. Dude's the biggest physical freak to ever enter the NFL, and also has the skill set to challenge some of the top DE's to come into the draft. Dude still has work to be done and things to be learned, but that's to be expected. Drafting someone who knows exactly what to do ends up in Brady Quinn/Robo situations where they've peaked before their first NFL snap.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

If Peyton Manning goes down the Broncos suck.

i completely disagree with your premise that the QB isn't the most important position. heck, in my 7yo's flag football league, it's still the most important.

however, a further fail by not noting that Denver won a playoff game the year before Peyton with Tebow at QB.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

If Peyton Manning goes down the Broncos suck.

i completely disagree with your premise that the QB isn't the most important position. heck, in my 7yo's flag football league, it's still the most important.

however, a further fail by not noting that Denver won a playoff game the year before Peyton with Tebow at QB.

Well your 7 yo's flag football league is not very much a good example for how intricate the NFL is. The NCAA is where you don't need a Davey O'Brien award winner to put up a Championship team. That's a much better comparison to a flag football league.

Also, Denver is not coached by the same man who coached that Tebow team. Nor do they have Tebow. Tebow is a weird dude, like Colt, he had this great ability to win football games without being a good QB. And as much as I love Brock Osweiler standing 6'8 and throwing the ball farther than any NASA mission has gone ever, but dude just doesn't have the Tebow x-factor.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

the best teams in the NFL do not live and die by their QB's. The good teams do, however. This causes many to think that QB's are the end all be all. But at the end of the day they're just another piece.

Wow.

Just because the Pats lucked out and had Cassell have a great season doesn't mean that this can happen elsewhere.

Some teams plan their QB succession well, so that an Aaron Rodgers is ready to take over when Brett Favre is out ....... but many teams suffer when their franchise QB ends his run. How did Buffalo do after Jim Kelly left? How about us and Bernie? Miami and Dan Marino? The Broncos plummeted after Elway left until they got Plummer, then he left and they went through Cutler, and Orton, and Tebow ...... without a single winning season .... until last year when Peyton Manning came aboard.

Now some teams can build up their run game and defense to the point where they can win games with a modest level QB ..... but it is much, much harder to take that route than to go find a great QB who makes the rest of his team better.

Where would the Pats be, long term, without Brady? How about the Saints and Brees? The Steelers and Roethlisberger? (and they are probably one of the teams closest to the philosophy you espouse) Would the Colts have won 11 games last year without Luck?

A QB cannot do it all by himself. Obviously he needs some help. However, to dismiss the need for a top quality QB in today's NFL with today's rules is more than a little ridiculous.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Jamies Winston has been perfect, just unreal.

Let the records show that I was the first person in the history of the world to use the following phrase:

Wincin for Winston

Thank you and goodnight!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Didn't they go in at 8-8?

It was great that they beat Pittsburgh. In fact, the Steelers were lucky to even be in that game (Broncos were up big), but what happened the next week? Reality check. They were blown out of the water by New England.

I don't think any of us are saying that QB solves everything, but with the way this league has gone with passing schemes and coaching, and now adding in some wrinkles from college offenses, you need to be better than slightly above average there.

You still need to have a very good defense to win. You need other players. Nobody is saying you just get a good QB and you're all of a sudden a contender, because we know that's not true (Stafford)

I'm of the sort that believes the terms "franchise" QB and "elite" QB are not one in the same. I don't think it has to do with SB's either.

I think Jay Cutler is a franchise QB. There's no controversy when training camp starts about who the guy is. He's the man there. But is he elite? I say no.

Romo has been a franchise guy too. Elite? Anyone wanna put that tag on him?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I live in Columbia, SC now. I can tell you it was miserable here. It was in the low 90s and the Dew Point was in the 70s. I was sweating sitting in the shade. The air was so thick it was hard to breathe. I couldn't believe the announcers didn't bring that fact up.

They did. The announcers mentioned the heat and humidity several times when talking about the players sort of dragging...

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

the best teams in the NFL do not live and die by their QB's. The good teams do, however. This causes many to think that QB's are the end all be all. But at the end of the day they're just another piece.

Wow.

Just because the Pats lucked out and had Cassell have a great season doesn't mean that this can happen elsewhere.

Some teams plan their QB succession well, so that an Aaron Rodgers is ready to take over when Brett Favre is out ....... but many teams suffer when their franchise QB ends his run. How did Buffalo do after Jim Kelly left? How about us and Bernie? Miami and Dan Marino? The Broncos plummeted after Elway left until they got Plummer, then he left and they went through Cutler, and Orton, and Tebow ...... without a single winning season .... until last year when Peyton Manning came aboard.

Now some teams can build up their run game and defense to the point where they can win games with a modest level QB ..... but it is much, much harder to take that route than to go find a great QB who makes the rest of his team better.

Where would the Pats be, long term, without Brady? How about the Saints and Brees? The Steelers and Roethlisberger? (and they are probably one of the teams closest to the philosophy you espouse) Would the Colts have won 11 games last year without Luck?

A QB cannot do it all by himself. Obviously he needs some help. However, to dismiss the need for a top quality QB in today's NFL with today's rules is more than a little ridiculous.

Matt Cassel isn't that good. There's a reason that Brady Quinn started over him, and it's not because RC is a fan of Brady Quinn.

I don't care enough about the Bills to look into that, but after the Browns dropped Bernie, they went 11-5. Then well Broncos only had one losing season after Elway left, and Shanananananana only had two seasons with Jay Cuter, one they went to the playoffs, one 7-9 season, and one 8-8 season. The Dolphins had some really good seasons after Marino left.

Drew Breese is an elite QB, but also have an elite coach, and had some elite players around him. Without Drew that team would probably have gone the same way, but he obviously made the team better.

Pats long term, without Brady, would probably have a better run game. Probably would have a better defense too. After all those defenses won them the first few championships. Unless you think that anyone could hold the Greatest Show on Turf below 20 points.

The Colts have made it clear that they will live and die with their Quarterback.

Look, I get the need of a good QB. However, you don't need a Peyton or a Marino to win championships. And while you think it's easier to find a top 5 QB rather than build a team, please look at the success of teams that don't live and die by their QB, because they're often more successful.

Legend
Legend
Super Bowl winning Teams, QBs, MVPs:

Feb. 2013: Baltimore, Flacco, Flacco
Feb. 2012: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2011: Packers, Rodgers, Rodgers
Feb 2010: Saints, Brees, Brees
Feb 2009: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2008: Colts P. Manning, P. Manning
Feb 2007: Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger, Ward
Feb 2006: Patriots, Brady, Branch
Feb 2005: Patriots, Brady, Brady
Feb 2004: Bucs, Johnson, Jackson

So ..... in the past 10 Super Bowls, the winning QB was the MVP.

In 7 of 10 Super Bowls, the QB was the MVP. With the changes in passing rules, this isn't a surprise. The NFL wants an exciting, wide open passing game, and they have adjusted their rules to make this happen. They have rewarded teams that have found top end QBs, and those teams with average to below QB play are penalized. (even if they have good running games and defenses)

How many playoff games has Adrian Peterson played in in the course of his first 6 years in the NFL? How many playoff games has his team won?

As for your comments about Quinn ..... the reason that Quinn started last year, initially, was the Cassell was hurt IIRC. Then desperation took over, and RAC was trying to make chicken soup out of the crap he had at QB. How did that work for him? Charles ran for over 1500 yards last year. How good were the Chefs with their 2 headed monster at QB?

You need a plus level QB to win consistently in today's NFL. The rules are set up to make passing the ball easier, and if you cannot pass the ball, you just don't win. (and yeah, there might be one year examples where a team without stellar QB play makes the playoffs here or there, but generally speaking, the best QB wins.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I think that is the case for the Texans. That team is set up for a deep playoff run, even a SB appearance. Schaub is a nice QB, but if he's a franchise guy, he's barely one, and I don't think he's anywhere near elite.

If they can keep things intact there, I think the guy that replaces Schaub is probably the guy to take them to the big game.

You might even be able to say that for our Browns in a few years, if they keep stockpiling good talent like they have the last couple years.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

As for your comments about Quinn ..... the reason that Quinn started last year, initially, was the Cassell was hurt IIRC. Then desperation took over, and RAC was trying to make chicken soup out of the crap he had at QB. How did that work for him?

Quinn further demonstrated why he is not worthy to be called a NFL starting QB. Go figure that the Jets would pick him up. Good kid and etc, but wow just horrible when behind center. Quinn really, and JMO, should've been packing up his cleats and applying at Walmart.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Why are people arguing with a guy when everyone (probably even him) knows he is wrong?

Next he is going to say water is dry.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Look, I get the need of a good QB. However, you don't need a Peyton or a Marino to win championships. And while you think it's easier to find a top 5 QB rather than build a team, please look at the success of teams that don't live and die by their QB, because they're often more successful.

If you are going to compete for and win multiple championships you better have a very good QB.. I'll stop short of saying elite but he better be able to orchestrate some clutch drives when it counts because inevitably he's going to be asked to do that to win a playoff game or two.

Great teams who are consistently at the top are really good in more than one area and QB is usually one of them... and they usually aren't horrible in any areas...

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Super Bowl winning Teams, QBs, MVPs:

Feb. 2013: Baltimore, Flacco, Flacco
Feb. 2012: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2011: Packers, Rodgers, Rodgers
Feb 2010: Saints, Brees, Brees
Feb 2009: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2008: Colts P. Manning, P. Manning
Feb 2007: Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger, Ward
Feb 2006: Patriots, Brady, Branch
Feb 2005: Patriots, Brady, Brady
Feb 2004: Bucs, Johnson, Jackson

So ..... in the past 10 Super Bowls, the winning QB was the MVP.

In 7 of 10 Super Bowls, the QB was the MVP. With the changes in passing rules, this isn't a surprise. The NFL wants an exciting, wide open passing game, and they have adjusted their rules to make this happen. They have rewarded teams that have found top end QBs, and those teams with average to below QB play are penalized. (even if they have good running games and defenses)

How many playoff games has Adrian Peterson played in in the course of his first 6 years in the NFL? How many playoff games has his team won?

As for your comments about Quinn ..... the reason that Quinn started last year, initially, was the Cassell was hurt IIRC. Then desperation took over, and RAC was trying to make chicken soup out of the crap he had at QB. How did that work for him? Charles ran for over 1500 yards last year. How good were the Chefs with their 2 headed monster at QB?

You need a plus level QB to win consistently in today's NFL. The rules are set up to make passing the ball easier, and if you cannot pass the ball, you just don't win. (and yeah, there might be one year examples where a team without stellar QB play makes the playoffs here or there, but generally speaking, the best QB wins.

I won't deny that within the past 10 years the passing game has gotten OD easy. It still does not make the QB position any more important than the rest of the team. Well, I'll take that back. There are teams that invest everything into the QB position and win and die by it. And the wins are high, but the deaths can be awful too.

Looking at those teams, we can see who built around a QB who built the QB.

Who built the QB: Colts, Saints
Who built the team first: Pats, NY, Ravens, Steelers, Greenbay*
*Truthfully, I'm not sure. They've had their stuff together for so long and I can't even think of their 90's teams, because they were so poorly coached. They should have been to the 90's what the Pats were to the last decade. Holmgren really ruined that team.

Truthfully, using the Vikes and Chiefs are a low shot, because they got no one on defense. But I can say that the Ravens and 49ers have done fine without amazing QBs. Steelers have been fine with Batch (Not SB winning fine, but still very good).

I agree with you. You need a very talented QB to win the superbowl. You also need a very talented RB, WR, O-Line, DE, DT, LB, CB, S, K, P. I think at our point in development, we don't need a Tahj Boyd or a Teddy Bridgewater is needed to be a great football team (But, I'm not going to sit here and act like I wouldn't be praying to every God there is, if it could help us get one), at this point we could do just as successful with a David Fales, Murray*, Kevin Hogan**, or just someone who can make throws but can also be a successful game manager.

*Only counts if he can actually play well vs. a big school this year
**No way he's coming out as he'll be the #1 pick in 2 years if Winston doesn't come out early.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

*Truthfully, I'm not sure. They've had their stuff together for so long and I can't even think of their 90's teams, because they were so poorly coached. They should have been to the 90's what the Pats were to the last decade. Holmgren really ruined that team.

wow. first unmitigated hatred for Holmgren has shown through in this thread now too. say what you want about his time in Cleveland, but his time in GB was what people strive to be.

remember, GB had losing seasons in 5 of the 6 years before they hired Holmgren, then he did this:

over .500 all 7 seasons
at least 11 wins in the last 4 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:
75-37 (.670) regular season record
9-5 (.643) playoff record

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

wow. first unmitigated hatred for Holmgren has shown through in this thread now too. say what you want about his time in Cleveland, but his time in GB was what people strive to be.

remember, GB had losing seasons in 5 of the 6 years before they hired Holmgren, then he did this:

over .500 all 7 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:

And he should have went to 4.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you are way over simplifying these debate. The Colts had drafted Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne all +/- a couple years away from taking Manning.... The Saints acquired Brees in FA because he was available... they also had Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn, Donte Stallworth, and some decent players on defense like Will Smith..

Your assumption seems to be that if the Steelers had the #1 pick in 1998, with the dynamic duo of Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczak on the roster that they would have passed on Manning to "build the team"... The simple fact is that there aren't that many guys who have that "can't miss" label coming out of college and if you don't already have one, and you have the chance to get one, you take him... I don't care what the rest of your roster looks like.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

over .500 all 7 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:

I cannot wait until a FO/HC finally gets it right here and people are complaining that we didn't beat out teams for the SB like the 1993/94/95 Aikman Dallas Cowboy teams and 1998 Steve Young SF 49ers (those are the ONLY teams he lost to in the NFC playoffs)

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

I think you are way over simplifying these debate. The Colts had drafted Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne all +/- a couple years away from taking Manning.... The Saints acquired Brees in FA because he was available... they also had Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn, Donte Stallworth, and some decent players on defense like Will Smith..

Your assumption seems to be that if the Steelers had the #1 pick in 1998, with the dynamic duo of Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczak on the roster that they would have passed on Manning to "build the team"... The simple fact is that there aren't that many guys who have that "can't miss" label coming out of college and if you don't already have one, and you have the chance to get one, you take him... I don't care what the rest of your roster looks like.

No, I agree with that. All I'm saying is QB is not more or less important than any other position.

cfrs15 #799041 09/03/13 07:42 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Why are people arguing with a guy when everyone (probably even him) knows he is wrong?

I was thinking the same thing. I think the dude just wants attention. And he is getting plenty of it.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

over .500 all 7 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:

I cannot wait until a FO/HC finally gets it right here and people are complaining that we didn't beat out teams for the SB like the 1993/94/95 Aikman Dallas Cowboy teams and 1998 Steve Young SF 49ers (those are the ONLY teams he lost to in the NFC playoffs)

Well hopefully we're complaining about why we're not winning all the championships

Legend
Legend
Quote:

All I'm saying is QB is not more or less important than any other position.

That's just ridiculous.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

All I'm saying is QB is not more or less important than any other position.

That's just ridiculous.

Yep, I agree.

Certain positions are far more important than others. How many $100 million punters do you see on NFL teams? How many $100 million long snappers do you find on NFL teams? If all positions are the same as far as importance, then they would be paid the same as well.

Legend
Legend
and OGs and FSs would go in the top 5 of the draft in the same percentage as QBs...

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

and OGs and FSs would go in the top 5 of the draft in the same percentage as QBs...

I think this has more to do with talent of these positions, a long with holes, and importance thought on QB's being quick fixes.

I'm also starting to feel bad about dereailing the thread so horribly with my ideas, and this will be my last post on the subject. If you want to continue this in PM, then feel free and I'll respond. However, as a final point, I'd just like to say the Coach is the most important thing on the field.

Now who wants to talk about how my boy, Duke Johnson, is going to run past Florida that he'll end up lapping that entire team?

Legend
Legend
The best, most talented FB in the world is not going to go #1 overall in any draft.(today's version of the FB) Ever. The value, and ability to help the team win is just not there. Even RBs are devalued in today's passing league. The best FB in the world is not going to bring a $100 million deal.

I understand that all players have value to their teams, bt to suggest that all positions are equal if to disregard the realities of the NFL. A great QB is worth more than any other position. Do you think that the Colts would have won 11 games if they had not taken Luck, and had played the year with .... say ...... Kellen Clemons?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

and this will be my last post on the subject.

And I will respect that as I don't think we are ever going to agree... and it's not that important that we do any way.

Quote:

Now who wants to talk about how my boy, Duke Johnson, is going to run past Florida that he'll end up lapping that entire team?

Nah, let's talk about the #5 rated QB in the country after week 1... CJ Brown from Maryland who was 20-23 for 281 yards and 3 TDs.. and ran 11 times for 105 yards and 2 TDs...

And the way the schedule sets up, they should be 4-0 when they beat Florida State and 7-0 when they play Clemson.

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
jc

Stephen Morris makes me so upset, because at times he looks like the complete package and at other times he can look so bad. But it still was an impressive win by The U.

Legend
Legend
jc Braxton Miller down....helmet knocked off and he's holding his head. This doesn't look good.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Hopefully just a mcl sprain - minor in terms of what can get hurt on the knee....

The Florida/Miami game was pretty good! Florida with way too many turnovers!

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good news about Miller. This SDSU qb is awful. He's missing open receivers by a mile. I realize there's pressure, but he's not even close. Kind of sad that Brian Sipe is their qb coach.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I love Kenny Guiton. We are lucky at the QB spot.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I love Kenny Guiton. We are lucky at the QB spot.

Very - glad we have a good back up!

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No idea why Hall and Smith switched #s. This is confusing as hell.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
During the broadcast they mentioned its because of special teams. I think it's so Rod Smith and Christian Bryant can both play special teams (both were wearing #2).

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum College Football

Link Copied to Clipboard