Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I understand why players don't want it, but it does protect the team while really not penalizing the player at all.

I don't understand. It only seems to benefit the player, not the team. If a player sux and is sent packing to another team that only pays him league minimum, he still gets paid from the former team.

Where is the downside to the player (other than sucking) not to want it, and benefit/protection to the team? Isn't it the exact opposite?

Thomas - The Tank Engine
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
If your sold on and honestly believe that who you picked at #5 deserved to be picked at #5, there should be no reason to leverage for it in the deal.

Unless your doubting your pick's potential.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
From the other angle, if the player is sold on and honestly believes he absolutely will not bust but will finish his original contract and beyond to a good career he should have no problem accepting the offset language that he knows in his heart will never come into play.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

From the other angle, if the player is sold on and honestly believes he absolutely will not bust but will finish his original contract and beyond to a good career he should have no problem accepting the offset language that he knows in his heart will never come into play.

Youse guys is both killin' me. I should have kicked you in the butt when you went to take the bar exam.

When did this offset first become common? I don't remember it before last year. Maybe this is the first year it affected the Browns? I don't remember Richardson or Weeden worried about an offset.

Before that, a top rook would get 40, 50, or more on the first contract. Admitted, it wasn't all guaranteed, and was for more than 4 years.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would love an explanation why a player should get paid by his old team for not playing for them while at the same time getting paid by his new team.

If he signs a 4 year deal for $20M that's $5M a year. If he gets cut after year 3 he is still entitled to the $5M that is remaining of his original contract whether he plays anywhere or not. No problem so far as it was a guaranteed contract.

Now, some other team decides to take a chance on him and signs him to a 3 year/$3M contract. Without the offset language he will now get paid $5M from his old team, which was the remaining from his old contract, and now $1M by his new team. His first year of his new contract he makes $6M. That's $1M more than his original, big, guaranteed deal.

All the offset language does is require that the old team only pay the difference between his old contract and the new one. So his old team pays $4M because his new team pays $1M and $4M is the difference between his new deal and the original contract.

The player still makes $5M in his 4th season just as he would have had he not busted and been cut in the first place. He loses no money. In fact, since he took a pretty hefty pay cut because he was deemed a bust and cut from his old deal and couldn't get anyone to pay him more than $1M, which says he wasn't worth the $5M per year in the first place.

As shown earlier, by not having the offset language he makes $6M of which $1M is from his old team for whom he contributes absolutely nothing.

So why should he make more per year than his original deal ($5M) when neither his old team nor his new team thinks he was worth the $5M to begin with?

I passed that bar exam by the way. One day here soon I'll roll up in my new Bentley and we'll go have a drink and discuss this further.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I get it. the answer is that they have to make as much money as they can in there short football life. I really get both sides of it and really there is no right or wrong that I see.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I understand why players don't want it, but it does protect the team while really not penalizing the player at all.

I don't understand. It only seems to benefit the player, not the team. If a player sux and is sent packing to another team that only pays him league minimum, he still gets paid from the former team.

Where is the downside to the player (other than sucking) not to want it, and benefit/protection to the team? Isn't it the exact opposite?

The team is protected if they get the off-set language in the contract.

The problem I have with players opposing off-set language is this:

Assume you somehow get back to back draft picks, and draft 2 players who are both OLB. (for example, and just to make it even in the comparison)

The 1st player you draft signs a 4 years $20 million deal, fully guaranteed. The 2nd player you draft signs a 4 year deal worth $19 million.

The 2nd player becomes an All Pro level player. He is incredible. He plays out his 4 year, $19 million deal.

The first player you drafted, however, is a complete and total bust. You hang on to him for 3 years, but he has an attitude, and does nothing well. He has some physical ability, but you get better production out of an UDFA. You release this player. He has a fully guaranteed deal, so you pay him whether he stays or goes.

After you cut him, another team signs him for $1 million for the season.

Your All Pro player is playing out his rookie deal ..... while th bust not only get his full deal, but has the opportunity to make more money in those 1st 4 years by busting and signing elsewhere.

I think that's wrong.

I get the idea of a guarantee ... to protect the player against injury and such .... but the off-set seems to me to be about as fair an idea as there is in sports. No player should benefit financially by stinking and getting cut.Without off-set language, that could happen.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The Miami Dolphins announced Saturday they have signed first-round pick Dion Jordan as players report for the start of training camp.

With the signing, the Dolphins now have every draft pick under contract.

Jordan expected the deal would get done in time for the start of camp and it more or less did. The hold-up on the contract was the Dolphins attempt to get offset language put into the contract. According to Mike Garafolo of FOXSports.com, the Dolphins succeeded in getting the offset language in the deal but Jordan will get his signing bonus money early.

The Dolphins have succeeded in getting offset language in the contract of Jordan and last year’s first-round pick Ryan Tannehill.

Link

Legend
Legend
good news for the browns. Now Mingo's deal should fall into place.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
To my knowledge most of those players were traded intstead of cut. Which I think is a different scenario with the new team adopting the salary ( I think).

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
This is not a big deal mingo probably wont get 7 sacks this year.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Maybe I'm just dense, but doesn't the offset just benefit the player?

e.g. Browns draft Busty McBust to a $5 mill per year deal. He doesn't make a single tackle and assaults the team owner and head coach in the parking lot. He is released, but Al Davis' rotting corpse loves the guy, but only for $1 mill/yr.

Browns pay $4 mill, Raiders pay $1 mill, and Busty still gets $5 mill. Is this inaccurate?

Last edited by Divot; 07/20/13 09:25 PM.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yes. Busty double dips earning $5M from Browns AND $1M from Raider.

Thus earning $6M instead of just 5.

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I told you we shouldn't have drafted Busty, but you wouldn't listen.

Strip club Busty, yes. Football player Busty, no.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

I told you we shouldn't have drafted Busty, but you wouldn't listen.

Strip club Busty, yes. Football player Busty, no.

But his measureables were outstanding.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I hope Strip Club Busty stays in Cleveland. I want to hang out with him.

Tackles are tackles.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I hope Strip Club Busty stays in Cleveland. I want to hang out with him.

Please, someone, anyone, get this thread back to signing Mingo.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I sincerely hope Mingo signs in time to not miss any training camp reps, and I don't care who gives in on the offset language in negotiations.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Will offset language for No.3 Jordan and No. 4 Johnson put pressure on the Browns' Barkevious Mingo?

While the Browns and No. 6 overall pick Barkevious Mingo are still at odds over offset language in his contract, the No. 3 and No. 4 picks both signed contracts today with the provision included.

No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan, the defensive end from the Dolphins, and No. 4 overall pick Lane Johnson, the offensive tackle from the Eagles, both have offset language in their fully-guaranteed contracts, according to multiple reports. In exchange, Johnson will receive his entire signing bonus within 15 days according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, and Jordan will receive his bonus on a quicker payout, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Jordan received a four-year deal worth $20.6 million, including a $13.3 million signing bonus, according to the Post. Johnson received $19.853 million, including a $12.818 million signing bonus.

The two signings may put pressure on Mingo to include offset language in his deal and get into camp on time. The rest of the Browns' rookies reported on Friday, and the first full-squad practice in Thursday at 4 p.m. The Browns want offset language and Mingo's camp does not.

The No. 2, No. 5 and No. 8 overall picks -- Jaguars offensive tackle Luke Joeckel, Lions defensive end Ziggy Ansah and Rams receiver Tavon Austin -- have no such language in their contracts.

The offset provision means that a team would only have to pay the difference in salaries in the event a player is let go and signs with someone else before their fully guaranteed contract expires.

“We’re very excited to have all of our draft picks ready to go for the start of training camp,” Eagles G.M. Howie Roseman said in a release. “I give Lane and his agent, Ken Sarnoff, a lot of credit for their work in getting this deal complete. Both had stated to us how important it was to get this deal signed before the rookies report on Monday and they kept their word. We’re all looking forward to watch Lane get his NFL career started.”

Jordan’s agent, Doug Hendrickson told the Palm Beach Post, “it was critical for (Jordan) to be at camp on time. It was clear to me that he wanted to be there from the start.''

The Dolphins also secured offset language last year for quarterback Ryan Tannehill, the No. 8 overall pick. They were the only team in the top nine to obtain it.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/newreply.php?...part=4&vc=1

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Just saw this on FB and the official site saying MIngo has signed.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...d8-b0deed894a9d

Rookie
Rookie
Just heard on Fox 8 news....Mingo signed...done and DONE.
This signing takes care of all of our Rookies.

ORANGE & BROWN FOREVER!!!!!!!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Just saw this on FB and the official site saying MIngo has signed.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...d8-b0deed894a9d

It's done, we can go into camp with zero distractions/worries now. Healthy Trent, full rookie class signed, time to get SERIOUS!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Glad our FO sucks so much...that we got all signed n in camp on time!
The Hate Banner crowd got to eat some crow - Ya think

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL But they won't accept it at face value.. They'll figure another spin

Last edited by Damanshot; 07/21/13 08:08 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Our FO stinks we should have signed him to a 40 year deal!!!
/sarcasm

I figured the original article was much to do about nothing

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If this was all we needed as a sign that a FO was good, Holmgren would still be here... so would Opie, Mangini, etc....

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's a four year, $16 million deal.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ult#incart_2box

CLEVELAND -- Browns first-round pick Barkevious Mingo signed his four-year contract today with a club option for a fifth year, the team announced.

The Browns now have all of their draft picks under contract

The deal is worth more a little more than $16 million a league source said, and the Browns were able to obtain offset language in the contract. His signing bonus is in the $10 million range.

In exchange for the offset language, Mingo will receive his entire signing bonus between now and the end of the year, a league source said.

The two sides actually agreed to the deal at about 3 a.m.

"Keke said he wanted to be in on time, so we got the deal done,'' said agent Jeff Guerriero in a text message. "He will be ready to go at 7 a.m. He's glad to get the contract behind him and ready to work!''

Offset language means the team of origin would only have to pay the difference in salary in the event the player is released and signs with a new team before his rookie contract expires.

Mingo received a slight increase over last year's No. 6 overall pick, Morris Claiborne, his former LSU teammate. Claiborne, a cornerback, received a fully-guaranteed four-year deal from the Cowboys worth a total of $16.26 million, including a $10.3 million signing bonus. Claiborne does not have offset language in his contract.

Mingo may have felt pressure to get his deal done after No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan, the defensive end from the Dolphins, and No. 4 overall pick Lane Johnson, the offensive tackle from the Eagles, signed Saturday with offset language in their full-guaranteed contracts, according to multiple reports.

In exchange, Johnson will receive his entire signing bonus within 15 days according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, and Jordan will receive his bonus on a quicker payout, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Jordan received a four-year deal worth $20.6 million, including $13.3 million guaranteed, according to the Post. Johnson received $19.853 million, including $12.818 million guaranteed.

Mingo only missed the first two days of the rookies-only portion of training camp. The rest of the Browns' rookies reported on Friday, and the first full-squad practice in Thursday at 4 p.m.

The No. 2, No. 5 and No. 8 overall picks -- Jaguars offensive tackle Luke Joeckel, Lions defensive end Ziggy Ansah and Rams receiver Tavon Austin -- have no offset language in their contracts.

Mingo's timely arrival means he can get down to the business of cracking the starting lineup, which won't be easy. He left minicamp as a second-stringer behind starters Paul Kruger and Jabaal Sheard, and might be part of a rotation at the position.

"Right now the other two guys are better,'' said outside linebackers coach Brian Baker during minicamp. "So yeah, whether I'm supposed to say it or not. Every place I've been I've always played the best guys and played those guys in the best positions. So if Barkevious beats one of those guys out, he'll be a starter. Until then, they're the starters.''

Mingo, who had 12-1/2 sacks in his last two seasons, has every intention of starting the opener against Miami Sept. 8.

"I'm very determined,'' said Mingo during minicamp. "That's the goal. That should be everybody's goal. You want to play, you want to help the team win, but you've got to put in the work.''

He's already gotten a taste of how tough it will be to crack the top two.

"Exactly,'' he said. "Those are some big-time guys. It's a learning curve. I've been thrown into a different position. Time will tell what the coaches think.''

But Mingo would rather earn it than inherit the job from his first-round pedigree.

"You don't want anything given to you,'' he said. "So you earn the respect and put in the work to get what you want.''

For now, Mingo is just eager to start hitting again.

“I’m very excited to get it out the way, just get it started,'' he said. "I'm just ready to put on the pads and show the coaches what us as a class and me personally, what we’re made of, being able to compete and earn a spot on the team.”

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Anyone else curious, Does the contract have offset language?

Someone said get this thread back on track. I thought Busty and Barkevious were at least synonymous.

Mingo is probably, going to be nothing special. I may be caught up in the fact he is a 1st round pick,(and have inflated hopes), but I doubt he surpasses in his 1st 3 years anything that Dqwell or Sheard did in each of their 1st 3 years and neither of them were a 1st round pick.

Honestly I have to be disappointed in this offseason, I think we, ( well at least some who think like me) will look back on this year as a beginning of the talent drop. If I take off the Brown and Orange goggles for a second, the best player addition this offseason is arguably Mingo, because the Free Agents are not 22,or23 years old. The second best is arguably Krueger, and he does have the potential to show that he was only excellent in the situation he came from.
The disappointing thing for me is that,
there was a legitimate opportunity to get one offensive playmaker more than they have today, somewhere in the draft or the offseason, and it's an ongoing problem.
Is this a bash of the new regime maybe, but they don't have the opportunity to show they can win more than they lose yet. They have had the opportunity to show their commitment to winning by matching the offensive additions of other teams, and it's only partially been done.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Article above says it does

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
We've had holdouts during camp before.

The guy is here. It's good news.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

From the article:

"The deal is worth more a little more than $16 million a league source said, and the Browns were able to obtain offset language in the contract. His signing bonus is in the $10 million range.

In exchange for the offset language, Mingo will receive his entire signing bonus between now and the end of the year, a league source said."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
j/c

I thought the OLB coach's comment about Mingo being behind the other two players was very interesting. That was a brutally honest assessment and I will be shocked if Mingo starts a game this season (barring injury). In fact, I'd have to say Mingo is our 4th best OLB at this point because Groves has a big advantage on him.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

From the article:

"The deal is worth more a little more than $16 million a league source said, and the Browns were able to obtain offset language in the contract. His signing bonus is in the $10 million range.

In exchange for the offset language, Mingo will receive his entire signing bonus between now and the end of the year, a league source said."

jc...

So, the Browns paid Mingo to accept the offset language, which is a win for both sides, though I seriously doubt the language was needed.

Let's hope that Banner and Lombardi gain more confidence in their ability to draft first round talent, so the offset language doesn't become a potential stumbling block in the future.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We've had holdouts during camp before.

Yup, sure have. We've also had everyone in on time before... and like I said - if that was the measure of a good FO, those guys would still be here.
It's also a LOT easier to get everyone in on time these days with the new rookie wage scale, so it's not like this is some major accomplishment.

Quote:

The guy is here. It's good news.

Agreed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I thought that Coach Baker's comments were refreshingly candid. At the same time I can't draw any conclusion about Mingo's final place on the depth chart from what he said. I think Mingo is right on schedule for a player who is coming into his 1st TC, making a position change and competing with players who have actual game experience. Add to that, the pads are just now going on.

Last edited by guard dawg; 07/21/13 11:58 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just re-read the post since Mingo's signing was announced. So let me be the first board member to say, Congratulations Mingo! Welcome to the Browns! And get to work !

D
Legend
Legend
D

I just want to say good luck, Barkevious. We're all counting on you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Welcome the Browns, Mr. Mingo. Now, get your ass to work! We need double digit sacks from you.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Welcome the Browns, Mr. Mingo. Now, get your ass to work! We need double digit sacks from you.

Not sure thats gonna happen, he will probably be a situational pass rusher his first season for the most part. I dont see more then 6 sacks for him

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

It's also a LOT easier to get everyone in on time these days with the new rookie wage scale, so it's not like this is some major accomplishment.

True.

I may be sensitive about this issue, but there are a lot of posters who seemingly are looking for reasons to bad-mouth the FO--as we noticed in earlier in this thread. However, they don't have anything good to say when we have all our guys in.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cleveland Browns' Barkevious Mingo, due to report Friday, still unsigned

Link Copied to Clipboard