Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
the other thread is over the limit, so starting anew.

Ytown mentioned Raburn not likely being around next year.
That also goes for Kazmir.
Probably for Reynolds too.

But, having guys sign to try to boost their stock and having them actually boost it is part of how good small market teams work. Too many offseasons we've had a bunch of Myers and not alot of Raburns. Not going to hit on all of them, but you have to hit on some of them.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Baseball is such a funny game, you have to take advantages of years like this. Next year could be a different story. Our rotation I thought could be the worst in baseball. We had a guy in Kazmir that was throwing for a beer league team. Roger Clemens pitched there when he was close to 50. Remarkable job by francona, callahan, and our Gm.

Legend
Legend
Tired of watching the Tribe "compete"; love the winning, and I was tickled to see us dodge most of the "June Swoon" curse. Hope they catch fire and ice a playoff appearance. But always better to watch contenders. I appreciate the news. Go Tribe!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Well, it was certainly a horrible outing tonight, for certain.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
yeah talking about ending a winning streak in grand style. I think acab is having some issues this year I kinda hoped he would have been traded for pitching or a plus .300 bat. His range is down to peralta and his glove is a shadow of its former self. Not to mention he hasn't done anything with this bat this year. hitting sub .250 and .300 OBP. I think Aviles can hold it down for now. I've loved watching Acab for a few years and he was always the guy that seemed to play well when noone else was. He's been outplayed this year by aviles, and with lindor coming up, i figured he would have been a good piece to get some help.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Jeez, I hate the breakaway into a interleague series when the team is on a roll. It always seems to be a momentum-killer. Strange ballpark, little-known opposing pitcher, our pitchers suddenly having to hit, against a team playing for nothing ... seems to be a recipe for disaster, especially for a team gearing up for a defining 4-game series against their principal rival, the Tigers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hate interleague play Period !

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Well... I hate interleague play and wish the AL would come to their senses and eliminate the DH. So there.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Well... I hate interleague play and wish the AL would come to their senses and eliminate the DH. So there.

oh, and I give it 10years now before the NL comes to it's senses. been a long time coming so we could see the better pitchers pitch longer (not feeling forced to pull them to pinch-hit in the 6th, let them pitch) and see the better hitters hit.

real reason I see it happening: next CBA there will be a new baseball commish. AL teams have been more likely to give the best veterans longer, bigger deals (like Pujols, A-Rod) because they always know if their bodies fail them in the field, they can DH. NL Owners don't like that advantage and NL players want that money.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I suspect you're right about how things will go with the NL adopting the DH, but the argument about better pitchers pitching longer doesn't seem to hold water when you consider how few guys go much past 6 innings any more. The "pitch-count" mentality has pretty much rendered the complete game a thing of the past.

I know people make fun of the whole "beauty of the double-switch" but it does add a fun wild card to a game, allowing a manager to change his lineup mid-game. It rewards teams with a strong bench and a good bullpen. I remember a game I was at as a kid when Alvin Dark moved Sam McDowell to 2nd Base to avoid having him face Frank Howard, who owned McDowell. It turned out McDowell had to make a putout at 2B on a force play to end the rally, and the crowd - all 7,000 of us - went freaking crazy. It made a real mess of my scorecard, but I'll never forget it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love interleague play because it allowed me to see the Indians a couple of days after moving to Miami. Gave me an excuse to check out their ballpark.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Indian - Tigers Preview

by Paul Hoynes
The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Here is a look at the Tigers-Indians series, which starts Monday night.

Where: Progressive Field.

When: Monday through Thursday.

TV/radio: SportsTime Ohio; WTAM 1100-AM, WMMS 100.7-FM.

Pitching matchups:
*RHP Anibal Sanchez (9-7, 2.59 ERA) vs. RHP Corey Kluber (7-5, 3.77) Monday at 7:05 p.m.
*RHP Justin Verlander (11-8, 3.88) vs. RHP Justin Masterson (13-7, 3.33) Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.
*RHP Doug Fister (10-5, 3.52) vs. RHP Danny Salazar (1-0, 1.50) Wednesday at 7:05 p.m.
*RHP Max Scherzer (15-1, 2.85) vs. RHP Zach McAllister (4-6, 3.47) Thursday at 7:05 p.m.

Season series: The Tigers are 9-3 against the Indians. The Tigers lead, 1080-1041, overall.

Tigers update: They've won seven straight and 11 of their past 12 entering Sunday's game against Chicago. The Tigers are hitting .296 against the Indians this year with Miguel Cabrera (.319, five homers, 14 RBI) doing much of the damage. Scherzer (2-0), Sanchez (1-0) and Verlander (2-1) are a combined 5-1 against the Tribe this year.

Indians update: They've won 10 of their past 11 after Sunday's win over Miami. Entering Sunday, the Indians were hitting .231 against the Tigers with Michael Brantley (.293, two homers, 11 RBI) and Ryan Raburn (.286, three homers, six RBI) leading the way. Kluber (0-2) and Masterson (0-2) are a combined 0-4 against Detroit this year.

Injuries:
*Tigers: RHP Octavio Dotel (right elbow), LHP Darin Downs (left shoulder), 2B Omar Infante (left ankle) and RHP Luis Marte (right shoulder) are on the disabled list. 3B Miguel Cabrera (left abdominal strain) is day to day.
*Indians: C Lou Marson (right shoulder), RHP Brett Myers (right elbow/forearm), RHP Josh Tomlin (right elbow) and RHP Frank Herrmann (right elbow) are on the disabled list.

Next: The Angels arrive for a three-games series starting Friday night.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Big series. At minimum we need to split to not lose any ground. Win 3-4 and we pick up a game. I would hope we are playing in front of a packed house each night.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I honestly can't believe that the Tribe and the Tigers is the Monday Night Baseball game on TV tonight... I would have thought Yankees/White Sox or some other meaningless game.....

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Can't wait for this one.

I think a split would be ok, but Detroit would definitely take that right now. After this series we see them in a few weeks in Detroit and that's it. No more direct chances to move up.

I really like that move by Tito to push Ubaldo back and put Salazar in that spot. Media and fans have called out past managers for not treating series' like this one with some emphasis. That exact move by Tito says this is an important series just on fact that Ubaldo has a double digit ERA vs Detroit, and Salazar has one start where he was dominant. He gives you a better chance right now.

I still worry about our starters pitching to their lineup.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Ubaldo's stuff is like slow-pitch to Detroit. They just destroy him. Very glad to see him moved off that start. I don't know that Salazar will be able to handle it, but at least we're giving ourselves a chance.

I'm very excited for the McAllister vs. Scherzer showdown on Thursday (mostly because it'll be the one time I get to see a game in Cleveland this year).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's Tribe Time now!

Let's make this a great week and take back 1st place! Go Tribe!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I'm hoping MLB finally announces the suspensions today because I want Jhonny Peralta to miss this series. He's hitting .311 off the Indians this season (in 11 games). It would be nice to have them lose a .300 hitter out of their lineup (Jose Iglesias, his replacement at SS, is no slouch).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
can they suspend Victor even though he has no connections to Biogenesis? Victor kills us.

very excited for the Anibal vs. Kluber matchup tonight. Both young players with boundless possibilities. great to see them matchup.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
They should give Salazar a few starts to see if he could make a difference. He has the stuff to make a difference in the postseason, something Jarret Wright did in 97. Him, Kluber, and Masterson would be a formidable rotaion in a short series.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
let's see what he does with his opportunity on Wednesday

#gmstrong
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

I'm hoping MLB finally announces the suspensions today because I want Jhonny Peralta to miss this series.

Looks like you got your wish, Punch! Suspensions

#gmstrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9540076/mlb-suspensions-agreed-11-players-report-says

MLB suspensions for 12, report says

Major League Baseball has agreed to 50-game suspensions with 12 players for their roles in the Biogenesis case, FoxSports.com reported Monday.

Alex Rodriguez was expected to be served with the harshest penalty, and an announcement was expected later Monday.

The players confirmed by FoxSports.com to have agreed to the suspensions without the right to appeal are:

• Nelson Cruz, Rangers outfielder.

• Everth Cabrera, Padres shortstop.

• Jhonny Peralta, Tigers shortstop.

• Antonio Bastardo, Phillies reliever.

• Jordany Valdespin, Mets outfielder.

• Francisco Cervelli, Yankees catcher.

• Jesus Montero, Mariners catcher.

• Cesar Puello, Mets outfield prospect.

• Sergio Escalona, Houston Astros pitching prospect.

• Fernando Martinez, Yankees outfield prospect.

• Fautino De Los Santos, free-agent pitcher.

• Jordan Norberto, free-agent pitcher.

Milwaukee outfielder Ryan Braun was the first player to reach an agreement with MLB on a suspension for his connection to the Biogenesis case. The 2011 NL MVP accepted a season-ending 65-game suspension last month.

The Yankees had said they expected Rodriguez to be accused of recruiting other athletes for the clinic, attempting to obstruct MLB's investigation and not being truthful with MLB in the past when he discussed his relationship with Dr. Anthony Galea, who pleaded guilty two years ago to a federal charge of bringing unapproved drugs into the United States from Canada.

Rodriguez's suspension will likely run through the end of the 2014 season, sources told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Saturday.

The Yankees also expect Rodriguez to be eligible to play Monday night, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, because they expect his suspension to be tied solely to a drug-policy violation and thus eligible to be appealed.

Legend
Legend
I'm wondering if these players can come back for the playoffs this year. I would hope they would be blocked.

Right? Isn't there a rule needing them to be active roster guys for some minimum amount of games in September?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
no, as long as they played enough games this year, they'd be included as suspended players are counted as eligible (as long as their suspension ends):

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3549

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nelson Cruz, Everth Cabrera, Jhonny Peralta, Antonio Bastardo, Jordany Valdespin, Francisco Cervelli, Jesus Montero, Cesar Puello, Sergio Escalona, Fernando Martinez, Fautino De Los Santos, Jordan Norberto,

Not that I'm making any generalizations or anything, but if you didn't know those were baseball players, it looks a lot like a drywall hanging crew... just sayin'....

How long until the Hispanic players claim they are being targeted?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

no, as long as they played enough games this year, they'd be included as suspended players are counted as eligible (as long as their suspension ends):

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3549

Thanks for the info. And crap.

There should be a rule added to the CBA for players being suspended for PEDs that they are ineligible for awards and postseason play in the years where they server a suspension.

Oh well.

It just feels like the Robby Alomar suspension. He spit in an umps face and then gets suspened for games NEXT season, not the postseason.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Nelson Cruz, Everth Cabrera, Jhonny Peralta, Antonio Bastardo, Jordany Valdespin, Francisco Cervelli, Jesus Montero, Cesar Puello, Sergio Escalona, Fernando Martinez, Fautino De Los Santos, Jordan Norberto,

Not that I'm making any generalizations or anything, but if you didn't know those were baseball players, it looks a lot like a drywall hanging crew... just sayin'....

So who would Ryan Braun be then?

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Kind of funny that the list is mostly Dominican born players with a few Venezuelan born players.

The 2 American born players connected to this Biogenesis clinic (A-Rod, Braun) both attended the Unversity of Miami. Funny enough, the school is located in the same city.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My father-in-law?

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
it's all baseball circles. i am willing to bet if you get the right clinic, you'd find a whole bunch of american players on the list.

as Hel would say, just cliquing

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who would have thought that a clinic in Miami would have a lot of Hispanic clients?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So.. hmm.. the highest paid juicer in baseball is suspended.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the Superintendent?

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the Superintendent?

I thought MLB said that was A-Rod?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

the Superintendent?

I thought someone would say the "foreman". I guess that fits the same punchline to my joke setup.

If it wasn't going to rain, I'd take the little girl to the yard to see ARod get booed tonight. And I'm not sure he'll play too. I figure the Yanks will find some weird reason to sit him tonight.

[Linked Image]

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

it's all baseball circles. i am willing to bet if you get the right clinic, you'd find a whole bunch of american players on the list.

as Hel would say, just cliquing

I thought cliques only existed here?

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It was literally across the street from the campus. There was a news crew in front of A-Rod Park today so I figured that meant he got suspended when I was running errands.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
I was listening to Bob Costas on the radio last night,and he said that the players are ticked off about this stuff too, and that there is talk that player would support a team cancelling a player's contract if he was caught doping like this.It would make sense for them to do so, so that the majority of guys who do things the right way aren't lumped in with the scum who lie and cheat their way to fame.

Imagine if Braun would have lost his $100 or so million he was still owed. That's a penalty.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree w Costas. If you cheat and get suspended, your contract is null and void. After suspension is served you have to negotiate a new contract and the team that had your contract at the time of suspension is the one you have to deal with. They can refuse to deal with you at which time you become a free agent.

And teams will deal with you knowing you are a juicer.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cleveland Indians Playoff Push

Link Copied to Clipboard