Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Herb was tremendous.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Indians won today, and are now 1-1/2 games behind in the wild card race. Listening to the game was like passing a kidney stone ... we played really bad defense and couldn't drive in RISP to save our life, but the pitching was stellar.

Hard to believe, but we're still alive on August 25.

The next 9 games will decide the season. We go to Atlanta, Detroit, and Baltimore.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The season is over after the next games?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
was at the game today... Swisher was horrible today. I wanted to throw something at him.

curious... i honestly don't know this answer.

how are we 1.5 games back?

we have 6th most wins and our winning pct is 6th highest.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
There are three division winners and two wildcards.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IIRC, We are 1.5 games out of the wild card with Baltimore at 2 games out and the Yankees are at 3.5 games out. Right now, TB and Oakland have the 2 wild card spots

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Today was one of those beautiful ugly games. At this point in the season I'll take a win by any means.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

This team found a way to win when everything around them said go ahead give up and lose...this team refused to lose and stuck in there and won...Isnt that what us fan have been whinning about past teams not doing, we finally have a tuff hard nose team and some of us fans are still whinning that the wins arnt preftect....Who cares a win is a win and in Cleveland will take any kind of win you toss at us in any sport....

Swisher had a terrible game and openly admitted it after the game, saying he stuck but the other guys wouldnt let him fall and held him up they came thru for this team today not him....even though he did have a big 2 out 8th inning hit.....I like this team ya they leave me yelling at the TV many a nights trying to score a run...but atleast I can turn off the TV come back an hour later and this team still hasnt given up, there still battling....Great job this year Tito, Cleveland has a team we can be proud of...Yes we need a few more pices but man what a diffrent feeling this year compared to last year.

GO TRIBE

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Friday was disheartening because we really just didn't play well and even the solid ABs tended to end poorly. So, we go out and find a way to win the series anyway. Really like this bunch of guys on the team this year.

We really need our SPs to hold up though. It's going to get dicey down the stretch with so many young arms and Kazmir (being out so long from MLB), but if we can find a way to pitch, then we can stay in this thing as the AL East teams beat each other up.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yup, Friday burned me up because Ubaldo went 6 giving up 2 ERs. For a team like ours, that should be enough to get the W.

Good that's it's a day off today. I think they needed a break (me too).

The next six games won't be easy, on the road for the Braves and Tigers, but they should be fun. I'm hoping for 4-2. It's weird, I'm not sure we can afford to lose any games while chasing two wildcard teams, having 3 wildcard contenders below us and still having a sliver of hope on catching the Tigers. Every game is almost a must-win.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
don't forget Baltimore as well. if we can somehow manage to go 5-4 over the next 9 (including winning the O`s series), then we are in really, really good shape for one of the wild card slots with our September (and the AL East teams all playing each other).

and, Atlanta is a good team, but they are built just like we are. Losing Heyward really hurts their offense (he was on a tear recently), but they are a SP+speed team. Should be fun.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yes, Baltimore is huge too. I was just focusing on the next 7 days.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Yes, Baltimore is huge too. I was just focusing on the next 7 days.

I only brought them up too because after that stretch, we should be able to win a bunch of series even if we aren't playing our best baseball (like this past weekend)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's funny, I'm more scared about the Houston series late in Sept. That's a team NOBODY in contention wants to play right now (along with the White Sox and the Marlins).

The pressure to sweep them can almost come back to bit you. Plus, they'll be playing a bunch of guys fresh up from AAA and the current guys are trying to play spoiler or keep their jobs.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
we won't have to face Jose Fernandez at least from Miami. He has 2 more starts before they shut him down.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fun baseball fact :

The Red Sox are the first team to win a series against the Dodgers since the Pirates in mid-June.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

It's funny, I'm more scared about the Houston series late in Sept. That's a team NOBODY in contention wants to play right now (along with the White Sox and the Marlins).

That's the exact team I would want to play. The bad one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There are three division winners and two wildcards.

oh, that's how I messed that up

thanks!

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

That's the exact team I would want to play. The bad one.

Esp. with how the Tribe has handled bad teams. They've taken care of business in that department this year.

I'm worried about Detroit. I know the division is pretty much out of reach, but just to keep the season going we can't lay another egg. They were so close to a split last time around, maybe some things finally fall their way this time.

Tito has done a really good job with this group. I think they've overachieved. When this season finally does end, he's going to have to go to the higher ups and say that he needs more (we want more, we want more!) because I don't think it's really fair to try and sell the fans on building a championship team with Masterson/Ubaldo as your 1-2 punch. Fool's gold if you ask me, just shows how good of a job he has done managing this thing.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
at the end of the day, they're still not good enough. I think they will finish with 85-87 wins. they have been consistent in beating bad teams. good teams, not so much. I thought Acta did a decent job here, he just never had a good team to win. He was competitive for a while. Masterson is a good 2, but isn't an ace by any stretch. I know I won't be satisfied with this organization until they are serious contenders. Winning 85 games isn't good enough for me. Hopefully they could get a couple pieces in the winter.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
85-87 wins isn't good enough, yet, if the Browns go 8-8, this town will throw a parade.

I'm not writing the playoffs off yet. This is our last hard stretch of the schedule. September is a cake walk. If we can just be 3-4 games out after this 9-game stretch, we're still absolutely alive for a WC spot.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

85-87 wins isn't good enough, yet, if the Browns go 8-8, this town will throw a parade.

I'm not writing the playoffs off yet. This is our last hard stretch of the schedule. September is a cake walk. If we can just be 3-4 games out after this 9-game stretch, we're still absolutely alive for a WC spot.

I'm not throwing a parade if the Browns win 8 games, and I don't understand when talking heads throw that at you "Hey, would you sign up for 8-8 right now, call into the show"

We're not signing up for anything, we're taking what we're going to be given. Even if you could "sign up" for that, what good is 8 wins? What's the difference between that and 5-11? Not much, you're still watching other teams play in the post season.

Now on the other hand, some people put lofty expectations and then go ape feces when it doesn't happen.

I think people will be encouraged with 8-8, but I really don't think anyone is going to get the Chudzinski statue outside the stadium going.

With the Tribe, I didn't expect them to make the playoffs, I expected them to be in the conversation which is what they are. I think more fans are upset because they know the window for competing when you're an Indians fan begins to close the minute it gets open. You don't make the playoffs this year, OK, what about next year? What are you going to do to get better? What if it doesn't, are you selling off pieces like in 2008 and 2009?

You see a light at the end of the tunnel with the Browns. Lots of young talent. The Indians brought up a 32 year old career minor leaguer to help bolster the lineup. You tell me the difference.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The Browns make attempts to get better, misguided as they might be.

The Indians, prior to this season in hiring Tito and spending the money they had wasted in Grady and Pronk, were quite content to be lousy, tread water, be sellers at the deadline, and on top of that had the balls to blame it on the lack of attendance.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The only 2 cupcakes we play is houston and chicago. Kansas City, MInnesota, and the Mets will play us tough. I just don't see it. I think by next week, we will be all but out of it. Oakland has a very easy schedule in september. After they play tampa and texas, they have a very favorable stretch to close the year. We would have to win 21-23 of our last 30 games. Very tall order if you ask me.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The Mets and Twins are just flat out bad. It doesn't matter how tough they play, they just aren't good.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Plus, the Twins just traded Willingham to the O's on a waiver deal, and are rumored to be shopping Morneau, so they are going from bad to worse.

Legend
Legend
I don't hear Roseanne Barr singing yet. We still got a shot, and I for one am proud of the Tribe this year no matter how we finish up.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Tribe improved greatly over last year. However, their hitting is abysmal. Major underachievers, (Cabrerra, Swisher, etc..). Made baseball interesting in August, however the collapse/failure to seize the moment is why most fans don't put much stock in the team. Contrary to their marketing slogan---this is not a Tribe Town.

Having said that, with Cabrera injured...Let's beat Detroit

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Tribe just got Jason Kubel from Arizona. I was really hoping for Morneau... Kubel is .220 and probably gonna make things worse not better.

Legend
Legend
I was a fan for years when we thought sniffing .500 was a great season. I was and am excited about this team right now and I believe the future looks bright. These young guys just need to learn how to win right now, just like The Browns. I have not posted much in this forum about the Tribe all year, but it's only because I think many peope get excited or turned off way to quickly in baseball as it's a long season and it takes a lot of time to let things to play out.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm not sure where Kubel fits in. He shouldn't play over any of the outfielders and is only a slight upgrade over Giambi.

Legend
Legend
Well, Kubel is a left handed bat, and we did need one of those ......

Other than that he's kind of a so so signing.

I am proud of the way the Indians have turned things around this year, but it does seem like they are going to miss out on the playoffs this year. That doesn't make this a lost year though. I like many of the pieces we have in place, and with a couple more we can be a serious contender.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
It is starting to look that way...More so, it looks as though if we get to the playoffs unless we play Oakland its going to be sweep city.

We really just cant compete with the top teams as they do work against us.

That being said...I keep saying, if the Tribe are in striking distance entering September...they can do it, because their schedule is so easy in that month.

These next 6 days are still very big for them. Detroit and Baltimore. And now Miggy is down for Detroit...2 out of 3 and 4 out of 6 and its on for September.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I am proud of the way the Indians have turned things around this year, but it does seem like they are going to miss out on the playoffs this year. That doesn't make this a lost year though. I like many of the pieces we have in place, and with a couple more we can be a serious contender.

Amen Brother.....add a couple more pices, we need a everyday 30+ HR 3rd Basemen, We need a 10game winning streak to make this thing intresting, before Atlanta it was win the series with each team win 3 of 4 not anymore we need to run off a string of 10+ win...This team can do it,

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

I'm not sure where Kubel fits in. He shouldn't play over any of the outfielders and is only a slight upgrade over Giambi.

unless he starts hitting like he did like the 6 seasons prior to this one. I think he is our Raburn replacement while he is injured.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Amen Brother.....add a couple more pices, we need a everyday 30+ HR 3rd Basemen, We need a 10game winning streak to make this thing intresting, before Atlanta it was win the series with each team win 3 of 4 not anymore we need to run off a string of 10+ win...This team can do it,

It is just SO frustrating to see them in two games they were in against ATL and lost by walking the pitcher and then the #1 batter getting a hit, scoring 2 runs. They have the potential to make a good run to make things very interesting indeed. I am proud of them as well.

Last edited by Slimdog; 08/30/13 02:52 PM.

"Awww Nawww Big Slimdog!!!"
-Eminem, "B**** Please Pt. II"
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
the difference between the end of August 2012 and 2013 is mind-boggling

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/08/cleveland_indians_adding_jason.html

As reported earlier, Indians acquired OF, Jason Kubel from the D-backs. They have also signed C Kelly Shoppach to a minor league contract. I also wonder if something is going to happen with Asdrubal Cabrera. Cardinals need a SS, and are rumored to be shopping 3B David Freese.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/david_freese/

Last edited by Dave; 08/30/13 06:11 PM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
wow talk about making a move to just make a move...neither one of those are going help, we have a roster full of those guys. The way they've played the last 4 games, i'd say its all but over.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Anything other than a world series is a failed season in my book. I'm sorry, been watching this team since 88, been so damn close, seasons like this don't do much for me. Just like in 07, we would've killed the rockies, just couldn't close the deal on the sox. Out of all the cleveland sports team the indians have nearly tasted championships so many times in the past 18 years. I will never be statisfied until we win it all.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cleveland Indians Playoff Push

Link Copied to Clipboard