Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
1st String
1st String
Quote:

I would like to take this time to claim a first class seat on the Brett Hundley bandwagon.

Ain't we bad? Just out of the first preseason game with an all new regime at the helm and we are already looking at the 2014 draft.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The guy asked how we should evaluate him this year. If you don't understand what the hell I was talking about, you should probably just keep it to yourself.

C
Legend
Legend
C
When talking about judging Weeden, which this conversation is about, wins and losses don't really come in to play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

I would like to take this time to claim a first class seat on the Brett Hundley bandwagon.

Ain't we bad? Just out of the first preseason game with an all new regime at the helm and we are already looking at the 2014 draft.

You are a real wise butt, aren't you.

cfrs15 has more football knowledge in his pinky than you do in your entire body.

Aren't you bad............belittling the opinions of others when it is very obvious you have very little knowledge.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/13/13 08:52 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Agreed.

The coaching staff has nothing to lose by starting Weeden.

If he blossoms, great. If he flops, they didn't pick him.

I agree with that as long as they end up finding a QB to win with later. If they keep losing, people will be saying the new regime has a winning percentage of .250 and it won't matter who owned the QB draft decision of BW in year 1. Ultimately, they are still on the hook for their winning percentage over the next 4-5 years.

Last edited by Punchsmack; 08/13/13 08:59 PM.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
The difference being that I don't think the new owner is going to be like Junior and blow things up just because the media and fans are whining.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The difference being that I don't think the new owner is going to be like Junior and blow things up just because the media and fans are whining.

Agreed. Hopefully.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
Don't worry, after all the legal fees Haslam won't be able to afford to pay people to not work for him.

Legend
Legend
Ha ha ha...good point. I never thought about that.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know that to be the case for sure, but my instincts lead me to strongly suspect that is what is going on here.

Stopped reading there.

Why?

Tucker cites an unnamed twitter source as saying "the Browns don't believe Weeden is the answer....", and another "national" sports reporter that wrote a column about the Browns qb of the future being in the 2014 draft.

Un named twitter, and un mentioned "national sports writer".

Now, maybe the unmentioned sources are real. And maybe they're accurate. Why not mention them? If the reporter wrote an article........it's public. Why not mention it?

If the twitterer tweeted - it's public. Why not show it?

This guy is making it look like he has an inside source, but the sources he listed would be public. This isn't Tucker talking to Banner, then saying "sources told me......"

Regardless - this IS Weeden's year to shine. If he does, all this hoopla goes away. If he doesn't, well, it is what it is.

Fixed it for ya...

Un named tweeter sources, un named team sources.., seriously, and people wonder why tweeter isn't allowed on here as a source?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Don't worry, after all the legal fees Haslam won't be able to afford to pay people to not work for him.

I know your kidding, because you are way to smart to think that the bucket of money that runs the team is the same as the bucket of money that runs Pilot or Jimmy's home.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
wins and losses will matter.. but not really.. the guy will be 32 during the 2014 season..

Put me down on the Tajh Boyd bandwagon..

In the meantime tho.. I think Weeden can take us playoff deep.. IMO he plays with his head right, and doesn't let bad plays get to him. He could get a little better looking off the defender, and maybe adding a pump fake into the mix at times.. but I think he shows promise.... unfortunately, his window for success is narrow.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
The way I see it this year is a win-win. Either Weeden shines, we find our QB (and in turn have a good record) OR Weeden sucks, we know we need Boyd/Bridgewater/Etc, and our draft slot will be accordingly (with ammo to move around)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I don't know how to comment beyond "duh".

No one's job is safe in the nfl. Beyond the very elite qb's teams will always be looking to upgrade the position.

I am excited to see his performance in the new scheme. And to see if he is advancing in the mental aspects of the game. If he doesn't progress well we will seek his replacement in the offseason with a pick or a guy like Mallett. Or hey maybe Campbell midseason.

What really intriques me is the idea that Campbell might surpass him as the starter. I wasn't really expecting that as a possibility.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

What really intriques me is the idea that Campbell might surpass him as the starter. I wasn't really expecting that as a possibility.

Neither did I.

If we start Campbell, it has to mean that the coaching staff has convinced the FO that this team can win NOW!

It's hard for me to even fathom that. I am conditioned for us to lose.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Interesting read, I'm with you on this Ver's, Weeden will be given a chance but it's up to him to keep the
critics/FO happy by his performence.
Personally I am rooting for the guy because it's good for the Cleveland Browns!
If he pulls off a stellar year it's a win/win situation, the best one could ask for.

I see this as more of a Jedi mind game getting the most out of Weeden.
Leak just enough to keep the pressure on, I listen to Ross every morning, he shoot's it straight, there is no doubt he is hearing the rumbling nor is there denying from the FO. It's Weedens ball & up to him to deliver. I'm rooting for him!

If I only knew then what I know today...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It really is the silly season...

One pre-season game and the speculation shall begin, of course, it just continues....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

wins and losses will matter.. but not really.. the guy will be 32 during the 2014 season..

Put me down on the Tajh Boyd bandwagon..

In the meantime tho.. I think Weeden can take us playoff deep.. IMO he plays with his head right, and doesn't let bad plays get to him. He could get a little better looking off the defender, and maybe adding a pump fake into the mix at times.. but I think he shows promise.... unfortunately, his window for success is narrow.

Unless Brandon already magically aged a year, the bolded isn't true. He is 29 right now, and won't turn 32 until 10/14/15.

I do agree with a lot of your post, though, wins and losses are going to matter for Brandon this year. He is probably in a situation where this team needs to go at least 9-7; If that makes the playoffs we probably stick with him, if not, then it is up in the air.

6-10 or less and I'd say a new QB is a certainty, whether that be Bridgewater, Boyd, or any number of other guys who look like they might be NFL talents.

I think the potential is there for Brandon to be the QB of the Browns for the next 7-8 years, but it is far from a certainty, and he isn't going to get the leeway a guy 5 years younger than him would, rightfully so.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Neither did I.

If we start Campbell, it has to mean that the coaching staff has convinced the FO that this team can win NOW!

or that we are completely screwed at QB (which is more what we are used to here)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

he's 29 now... how does he get 3 years older next year?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

because respected national writers wouldn't write such things unless they knew it to be true

Since I "respected national writers" are extinct, there is no story here.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is a head of his time !

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

he's 29 now... how does he get 3 years older next year?

I don't know... a season of browns football usually ages me 3 to 5 years

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend

Performance! The only performance that makes it, that really makes it; is that which achieves success.

Weeden has to win games. He has to lead the Browns to victory. Simple really.

Banner and company are not wed to Weedon. This is no revelation. We know it and Weedon knows it.

So now the rubber meets the road when the regular season begins and live ammo is in the air.

Go get em Brandon. Grab your chance and make it happen.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Performance! The only performance that makes it, that really makes it; is that which achieves success.

Weeden has to win games. He has to lead the Browns to victory. Simple really.

Banner and company are not wed to Weedon. This is no revelation. We know it and Weedon knows it.

So now the rubber meets the road when the regular season begins and live ammo is in the air.

Go get em Brandon. Grab your chance and make it happen.

I'm of the opinion that Banner and Company aren't wed to anyone on this team,, even the guys they drafted. If I understand them correctly, No free rides, everyone has to produce or go.

Isn't that way it should be?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I woudl add that they also feel that the best way to motivate a player is through pressure ..... especially at key spots. They want guys used to pressure so they don't fold under game pressure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

My translation of Ross Tucker's interview...

Over the last couple weeks, reports from several respected reporters saying they don't believe Brandon Weeden is the guy...according to Ross Tucker, reporters are getting this info on Weeden fed to them from someone in the Browns organization...reporters are not basing their claim according to what they see on the field, but what they are being told by someone in Browns organization.

...Tucker, looking at this situation from a players perspective, believes the organization should support their players. Tucker noted that before Weeden played his first preseason game, somebody in the organization was already saying Weeden is not the guy.

Tucker noted that those within the Browns organization, saying Weeden is not the guy, will not say so publicly, but they leak their opinions to inside sports writers who take it publicly (for them).

Ross Tucker openly accused the Browns of not supporting their own quarterback and said if the Browns won't support Brandon Weeden, he will, just to make those with the Browns organization look bad.

I believe most Browns fans are smart enough to figure out what is going here and who is responsible...the guy just can't keep his fingers out of the football side of the operation and will do anything to manipulate the franchise as he wants it.

Last edited by mac; 08/14/13 12:37 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Legend
Legend
C
Do. . .not. . .click. . .ignore. . .

(I have never ignored anybody, but I am coming pretty close.)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
common name , names.
are you say Lombardi or Banner?

Joe Thomas #73
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

common name , names.

I think by nature of him saying this person can't keep his hands out of the football side of the organization, he is alluding to Banner. Because, of course, Lombardi is part of said football side.

If any of the "connecting the dots" stuff has merit, I don't think it's Banner. My guess is that its Lombardi for several reasons. But until any more info comes out on this (which I doubt it will) it's all speculation.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

common name , names.

I think by nature of him saying this person can't keep his hands out of the football side of the organization, he is alluding to Banner. Because, of course, Lombardi is part of said football side.

If any of the "connecting the dots" stuff has merit, I don't think it's Banner. My guess is that its Lombardi for several reasons. But until any more info comes out on this (which I doubt it will) it's all speculation.

I'm pretty sure that Banner isn't leaking anything to anyone. He's pretty tight lipped.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

It's a good feature that i'd recommend. With just a few clicks of the mouse, you're are spared bullcrap and other childish behavior!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

It's a good feature that i'd recommend. With just a few clicks of the mouse, you're are spared bullcrap and other childish behavior!

...all the while missing out on a ton of entertainment.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

...all the while missing out on a ton of entertainment.

This is the main reason I don't ignore people. The THROW LONGS and macs of the world are highly entertaining if you don't take them seriously.

E
Legend
Legend
E
This entire article is a great ball of ASSUMPTION from a Tweet and an early article from one of the first camp days where Weeden struggled but came on strong since.

So Ross is ASSuming that these guys MUST HAVE INSIDER INFO cause they are old Pros...PROS??? Nah BOZOS, old BOZOS

This is a Seinfeld article...A LOT ABOUT "NOTHING"

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Un named sources say Brandon Weeden "might not" be the guy.

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man what a revelation.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

What really intriques me is the idea that Campbell might surpass him as the starter.

Well very hard to opine on that without being disrespectful. Lets just say I find it quite odd that would even be remotely applied when Campbell hasn't worked with the #1's at all this entire camp. Did I miss something.

I thought Weeden outplayed Campbell in the preseason game. Unless you all really like the dink n dunk he provided. He didn't play bad mind you. Just I don't see the coaches thinking that. Just confused what possibly has happened that Campbell is even going to get the OPPORTUNITY to surpass him as a starter???

JMH?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Just confused what possibly has happened that Campbell is even going to get the OPPORTUNITY to surpass him as a starter???

Chud said that the QB battle is "still close."

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I don't really see the surprise here no matter the source.

Lombardi publicly did not like the Weeden pick when it was made. Nothing Weeden accomplished, or did not accomplish as the case may be, would have done anything to change his mind.

Chud publicly stated the QB competition is close and unsettled. Is that also supposed to mean the Chud doesn't support Weeden?

A player has to earn his job. I doubt any of us actually know what's going on behind the scenes or what strengths and weaknesses they do and don't see in Weeden.

Even if there is some leak from the FO, the coach seems to be as uncertain about Weeden's future as anyone and I'm not surprised in the least. The fact everyone in the BrowÔs organization isn't rah rah and gung ho on weeded doesn't shock me nor do I see any reason to get all pissy about it.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

A player has to earn his job.

I hope this is the mantra of this team from this point forward. Play no favorites, just play the guys that perform the best.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Not Sold On Weeden?

Link Copied to Clipboard