Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Banner and Lombardi have made some good moves. This wasn't one of them.

I'd say the odds are at least 50% in favor of Dawson not wanting to be here any longer. Actually, I think that is the main reason why he isn't. I know some say he wanted to be here, but when you add up all the facts we can see, nothing points to Phil wanting to stay here.

Look....we had to franchise him the last two years. I doubt we wanted to pay the franchise amount but had no choice because he wouldn't agree to what ever contract we presented him. It doesn't make sense we didn't try to offer him a deal and just decided to pay the franchise amount the last two years. Enter Lombardi and Banner....they never had a chance to sign him because the guy didn't want to be here.

For you and the others who think he wanted to stay here and lay blame on Lombardi and Banner for Phil's departure, answer me this question. Why didn't/couldn't we sign him 2 years ago and had to pay franchise money to retain his services?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Browns Place RB Lewis On Season-Ending IR

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com

Color me surprised. I thought, for certain, that at the least he would be on the IR-to-Return list.

Could be after looking at the prognosis, it was just going to be too late....and maybe they have another guy eyed for that designation....Nelson?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Why didn't/couldn't we sign him 2 years ago and had to pay franchise money to retain his services?

That's easy. He wanted a longer (term) deal and they wouldn't give it to him.

All the "Did he or didn't he want to stay" arguing aside I cannot believe that someone as intelligent as you wouldn't rather have Phil kicking for us than the duo that we have currently. One or both of them MIGHT be OK but let's face it, Phil was "money".

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I never said I didn't want him. All I am saying is he didn't want to be here.

Dawson just signed a 1 year deal with SF. We just paid him franchise money for 2 years. Something tells he we offered him 2 or 3 years, and he wanted more. Sorry, at his age then, you aren't going to offer 4-5 years. Even if we did, I am of the opinion he wasn't going to take it. He wanted to kick for the Texans is what he wanted.....JMO

Otto, the numbers don't add up. It wasn't the years offered. It was the fact Phil is nearing the end of his career and he wants a SuperBowl ring chance.

I don't know when Phil hits the wall, but it can't be that far away. Which team is going to give him a better shot at a ring over the next few years....SF or the Browns?

We both know that answer, so I don't blame the guy one bit. I wish him well and look forward to being in the stands when we add him to our ring of honor. I hope he gets his bling.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

I feel really bad for Cribbs, but about now, this is making Banner, Lombardi and the coaching staff here look pretty smart.

Yeah, watching Phil Dawson kick that 50 yard FG yesterday certainly made me think of how smart Banner and Lombardi are......

I could have sworn Graham kicked a 50 yarder. But, let's not facts get in the way of a good bashing.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

1. I criticize Weeden plenty. My criticisms just happened to be warranted, while yours seems to be about 'being right'

2. There was a McCoy/Weeden debate? Pretty sure that debate was over the minute Goodell said "The Cleveland Browns select Brandon Weeden"

3. Even if there was a debate and I chose the side of Weeden, I sure wouldn't be wrong. If you're telling me you'd take Colt McCoy over Weeden, you're losing a lot of credibility with me with that statement.

1. LMAO on the being right comment. I am one of the few people who EVER admits to being wrong. People will back me up on that. My analysis of Weeden's play deals w/facts. You get upset when I present them.

2. Sorry pal, but others have already told me there were camps battling on this board over the qbs last year.

3. Weeden played worse than Colt under better circumstances. But, just so you know..........I took a lot of grief on the other board for saying that Colt wasn't a starting qb from day freaking one. Unlike you, I had no horses in the race. I just want a good qb to play for the Browns and could care less about "looking" right.

Oh, and I could care less if the likes of you find me credible or not.

Legend
Legend
That's a surprise - didnt think he'd get cut this early if at all... Maybe they wanted to give another team a chance to pick him up... Who's knows... I met Norwood last year at a game.. Nice kid... Wish him luck

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Why didn't/couldn't we sign him 2 years ago and had to pay franchise money to retain his services?

All the "Did he or didn't he want to stay" arguing aside I cannot believe that someone as intelligent as you wouldn't rather have Phil kicking for us than the duo that we have currently. One or both of them MIGHT be OK but let's face it, Phil was "money".

We all wanted Phil to be here. He didn't want to be here. Did you listen to his comments the other night when SF was on TV. The guy wanted out. I am not bashing him for that. There are no good guys. No bad guys. The Browns have sucked for years. The guy is getting older. He wanted to play for a contender in a nicer city. Luckily for him, he is good enough to have his dream come true.

But, guys like you wanna blame the new FO for it. That is just stupid. Did you twist off when H and H didn't sign him long term the last two years? LOL............I didn't think so. It's amazing how transparently phony so many of you are.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

That's a surprise - didnt think he'd get cut this early if at all... Maybe they wanted to give another team a chance to pick him up... Who's knows... I met Norwood last year at a game.. Nice kid... Wish him luck

I feel the same way to a degree, but if there is one thing the NFL has, it has a plethora of average wide receivers. If you are that, you can only expect 2-3-4 years before a team moves on to the next average guy in hopes he catches fire.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I can't quite say I am surprised Roberson got cut, but only because he was a nobody. However, I thought the guy had a nice preseason and looked better than many of our other WRs.

I feel bad for the kid.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Let's also remember that any of these guys could be signed to the PS. Roberson might make it there is no one picks him up.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I hope so.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I feel really bad for Cribbs, but about now, this is making Banner, Lombardi and the coaching staff here look pretty smart.

Yeah, watching Phil Dawson kick that 50 yard FG yesterday certainly made me think of how smart Banner and Lombardi are......

I could have sworn Graham kicked a 50 yarder. But, let's not facts get in the way of a good bashing.

You crack me up sometimes, Vers. Dragging facts into a thread and completely derailing it.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry bro.

I need to ask you a question. There were a couple of dudes back in the day who had the "Cap" in their user name. Are you the same guy I met before the Denver game? You were w/your mom?

If so, I wanna say how impressed I was w/the both of you. Very classy people. Very polite. Great character.

If not, .............never mind.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, that wasn't me.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry. That is embarrassing.

Legend
Legend
The Texans released RB Ray Graham from Pitt

Despite them both being from Pitt, Graham has some of the shifty moves that Dion Lewis has. I know Houston is stacked at RB, so maybe he's a name for us to look at.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Ok, but that's not on Banner and Lombardi. that's on Heckert. How long was the contract he signed with the 9ers? Wasn't it 1 year? Why wouldn't he sign a 1 year deal here?

I can't speak for Peen, but I sure as hell wanted him to finish his career here. But that isn't the question.

Oh and I bet Peen would rather have Phil here also. Just a guess.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can't quite say I am surprised Roberson got cut, but only because he was a nobody. However, I thought the guy had a nice preseason and looked better than many of our other WRs.

I feel bad for the kid.

Don't get me wrong ..... I never thought that the kid was going to make the final roster .... but I am surprised that he got cut before a lot of the other young receivers on the team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I feel bad for the kid.

Don't get me wrong ..... I never thought that the kid was going to make the final roster .... but I am surprised that he got cut before a lot of the other young receivers on the team.

I think that's what confused me a little on him.. I thought he had a good preseason. Like you, I didn't expect him to survive final cuts either. But I expected him to put on the PS.

At this point, I think he's worth that at the very least. we'll see, he may return. if not, I hope he showed enough for another team to snag him..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

But, guys like you wanna blame the new FO for it. That is just stupid. Did you twist off when H and H didn't sign him long term the last two years? LOL............I didn't think so. It's amazing how transparently phony so many of you are.

It's also amazing how big a douche some people can be when replying to another poster who has a differing opinion. Civility never having been taught at their house, I guess.

Since I don't know what "twist off" means I can't actually answer that question but I will say that when they didn't sign Phil the second year I felt it was a big mistake. You weren't here then so there is no way you'd know either way what any of us thought or said.

I'm sure Phil is thrilled to be with a valid SB contender. And maybe that's all he wanted in the end. I certainly would not hold that against him. But I also happen to believe that if you sweeten the pot enough any objections that a player may have can and will suddenly disappear.

By the way, just because I disagree with the way they handled Phil's negotiations doesn't mean I "hate" the current FO. Unlike you and your borderline psychotic need to blast Holmgren and Heckert at every chance I feel this FO has done a reasonably good job. I'm just not willing to rubber stamp every move they make like you apparently are.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

The Texans released RB Ray Graham from Pitt

Despite them both being from Pitt, Graham has some of the shifty moves that Dion Lewis has. I know Houston is stacked at RB, so maybe he's a name for us to look at.

I haven't watched him at all this preseason, but any RB is worth a quick look as I am very worried about our RB depth with Dion(IR) and Hardesty(knee surgery - out until late Sept at least).

I think he would have a hard time displacing Brandon Jackson in the 3rd down role merely because B-Jax is a phenomenal blitz-pickup guy and a good receiver, but we still do need a secondary runner to Richardson (as I don't think that's B-Jax).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jets cut a guard that was supposed to be a starter. Dont know why.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I agree. I've read some people say that we have BJax and Hardesty to back up Trent, which is true ... but they don't have the skill set that Dion has. We need that true change of pace back. I could see Nov was in love with Dion and was his newer version of Sproles. We need a back like that.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Jets cut a guard that was supposed to be a starter. Dont know why.

you mean Peterman? haven't watched preseason football, but he has been terrible for the Lions the last couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just saw it. I thought it was funny that people thought he would start when they signed him (they did draft an OG in the 2nd or 3rd round though ---- looked it up, Kent State's own Brian Winters, 3rd round but he's been out with an ankle injury).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Lions give “Kickalicious” the boot

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 27, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Havard Rugland
AP
David Akers is a solid, respectable, veteran kicker, which is fine.

That doesn’t mean that the Lions aren’t a little less fun with him kicking field goals.

According to the team’s official website, the Lions cleared the way for Akers by releasing kicker Havard Rugland, better known as “Kickalicious” from his trick-shot video.

While he came to camp a curiosity, he’s made a name for himself with a strong leg, and has shown well enough in the preseason that he’ll likely get another chance somewhere.

The Lions also released cornerback DeQuan Menzie, and have three more moves to make before this afternoon’s 4 p.m. deadline to get to 75.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/27/lions-give-kickalicious-the-boot/

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't necessarily look at Lewis (or in comparison Sproles) as a change-of-pace back-- I see them both as a utility back that offers that extra winkle offensively. I look at a change-of-pace back as still that direct backup to the #1 RB that can run effectively between the tackles, just that their running style differs. Lewis, and again Sproles, don't fit that mold as they haven't proved the ability to be successful running in between tackles. Brandon Jackson, and when healthy, Montario Hardesty have...at least better than Lewis.

Back to the comparison of Sproles and Lewis (which I agree with) Sproles hardly was asked to share the load running the football and was used more in the passing game. For example, last year he averaged 3 carries a game but almost 6 receptions. 6 receptions can rival good WRs production IMO. And I also think his carries were simply to keep defenses honest and not assume Sproles was instantly running a screen or becoming the check down receiver the minute he ran onto the field. Also, they both are a liability blocking due to their size. Except for one year in carries in SD under Turner, Sproles essentially played the same role there as he is doing now in NO.

Look, don't get me wrong....losing Dion Lewis is a big deal to the versatility of this offense and I hope we have him on the roster next year. But I just don't think we'd see him on the field as much as people thought and I didn't see him a the RB that would carry the ball in an effort to share the load with Richardson-- I still think those spots are for Jackson and Hardesty, and perhaps even Oby now as the RB depth has hit some depth concerns due to injuries.

FWIW

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Sorry. That is embarrassing.

Not at all, no worries.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
They're making room for Tebow, or some equally hilarious roster addition.

I love the Jets.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
New England has trimmed to 75-man roster and Tebow survived the initial wave of cuts *so far*.

Legend
Legend
web pagehttp://cleveland.cbslocal.com

BEREA (2.3 The Fan) – The Cleveland Browns placed running back Montario Hardesty on injured reserve Tuesday as the team cut the roster to 75.

The Browns also waived fullback Owen Marecic, linebacker Kendrick Adams, offensive lineman Dominic Alford, wide receiver Dominique Croom, defensive lineman Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, offensive lineman Ryan Miller and tight end Travis Tannahill.

Marecic was selected in the 4th round of the 2011 draft. The pick was acquired from Atlanta in the Julio Jones draft day deal.

Chudzinski said Tuesday that cutting players is not an easy thing to do.

“It’s difficult,” Chudzinski said. “I recognize that a lot of these guys, this is their dream to play. I take that seriously, sitting down with them and talking through things. The crazy thing about this business is that you just never know. For some of them, it is the last time they play. For some of them, they will play somewhere else. For some of them, we may pick them up later on down the road. You just never know.

“I appreciate everything that they have done.”

Offensive lineman Chris Faulk was also placed on the reserve/non-football injury list.

In addition to trimming their own roster, the Browns also were awarded outside linebacker Paul Hazel from Jacksonville and punter Colton Schmidt from San Francisco

“We are evaluating not only our own players but also the players from other teams who may have been released,” Chudzinski said. “It’s a fluid situation. I know that Mike Lombardi and our scouting staff are working tirelessly on evaluating and looking into all of the other potential different situations we have out there.”

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I posted another article, but it looks like it disappeared into the ether. Oh well, you beat me by a minute anyway.

The only thing I'm surprised about regarding Marecic is that it took this long. I'm also kind of surprised we didn't give him a look at linebacker. Wasn't he a starting LB in college, as well as the FB?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Cutting Owen = solid move lmao!

Good bye and GOOD RIDDANCE!

N
Legend
Legend
N
changed the subject line to what is important

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Are there any cuts of note from other teams? I read rumors that teams are calling us like crazy about our Dlinemen .. we'll see.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Are there any cuts of note from other teams? I read rumors that teams are calling us like crazy about our Dlinemen .. we'll see.

SanFord is clearly available for trade lol. I don't want to see Winn, Hughes, Rubin, Taylor or Bryant even being talked/discussed about being traded/released. I want all them big bodies on the 53 man roster.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Good for him. Hopefully he can stay on the field.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Norwood to the Bucs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/28/buccaneers-sign-jordan-norwood/

Glad for him, Good luck kid

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
+ 1

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp cuts (and other camp moves)

Link Copied to Clipboard