Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J’Marcus Webb

If we are looking to pick up an OT, I'll pass on Webb. I wonder if the Eagles will keep Tom Compton...hmmmm.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Legend
Legend
R
I thought Palmer was competing with Edwards last night for the #2 spot. He clearly outplayed Edwards - who has always been complete garbage. Interesting, he got cut.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The fourth preseason game means nothing in determining roster spots.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I know it means little to nothing, but is Edwards the back up or did they both get cut?

Just curious.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Josh McCown is the backup. They were competing for the 3rd spot I believe. Edwards hasn't been cut yet.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Ah, thanks. Sorry for turning this into a Bears thread.

I'd rather have cfrs at QB than Edwards. Surprised he wasn't cut in favor of Palmer ... who coincidentally is just as ugly as his brother.

Back to Browns talk.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

I'd rather have cfrs at QB than Edwards.

I will take this as a compliment. I can definitely take a sack quite well, which is a necessary skill for being a Bears QB.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Let me get this out of the way:

Quote:

I can definitely take a sack quite well

"That's what she said."

Quote:

"Yeah you can."

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Well, if they keep Herron (who is the most likely to be cut imho), they will have to cut someone else. They have Bernard and BJGE as "locks" to make the roster. So one more or max 2. If they cut Burkhead, who they spent a 6th rounder on last draft after selecting Bernard already, which means they really like him, then I'd be happy to add him. Burkhead has a nice preseason going though, so I don't see them cutting him. Peerman has also always produced when given a chance. He ran 36 times last season for 258yds (7.2ypc !) and in 11 preseason carries has 43yds.

Whoever the Bengals and Redskins have to cut would be the first I'd look at probably

i agree, burkhead is good too.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Let me get this out of the way:

Quote:

"That's what she said."

Quote:

"Yeah you can."

I think I had your username on the mind since I had recently responded to a post of yours.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

David Nelson needs cut immediately.

I fell asleep early last night and din't get to see much of the game. Was he that bad?

D
Legend
Legend
D
IMO, yes. Watch it for yourself though.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

IMO, yes. Watch it for yourself though.

No, I'll trust you and save myself the pain of watching a horrendous performance in the 4th pre-season game. I'd probably just fall asleep again.

Legend
Legend
Veteran guy with 3 days of practice. I wouldn't read too much into it.

The thing that worries me most is that he appeared to come up hobbled at one point. He came back into the game though.

If he doesn't make the team, then who does? Little, Benjamin, Cooper, (Gordon on suspended list) and Bess ...... and then a bunch of never weres?

Edwards didn't impress at all. I really didn't see much out of Gurley. I do think that the most likely scenario is for us to look for a veteran guy in the final cuts.

I do expect that we could look for a RB, WR, OL, and maybe OLB, in the final cuts. Cole might make the team at LB .... I dunno. He looked OK in preseason.

I wonder who has an extra RB and/or WR, and who also has a need at DL? Maybe a trade?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

If he doesn't make the team, then who does? Little, Benjamin, Cooper, (Gordon on suspended list) and Bess ...... and then a bunch of never weres?

Go back through the games and watch #9, Gruley or whatever his name is. He is one inch smaller than Nelson, and weighs like 20lbs more than him. Big target, healthy it seems, and has caught everything thrown his way that I can recall since watching him in preseason. Get opens too.

Like I said, Nelson doubtfully isn't going to get his football feet under him with a week of camp. Chances are he is hurting/sore after this game and won't even practice this week anyway. I'd say at this point, relying on Nelson for the season opener with Gordon being absent is AN EXTREMELY HAIRY SITUATION, to likely next to near "just not going to happen"

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
The first catch I saw by Gurley I thought he was Jason Campbell.

A guy who is that hefty and sorta slow shouldn't wear QB numbers

Fun fact: We are Gurley's seventh nfl team.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

The first catch I saw by Gurley I thought he was Jason Campbell.

A guy who is that hefty and sorta slow shouldn't wear QB numbers

Fun fact: We are Gurley's seventh nfl team.

He has a 4.56 second 40 yard time. He appears slow for the same reason Gordon does, has long strides due to being tall. If he was that slow, even McFadden could probably cover him then

*Edit* and for giggles, Nelson (before injury/surgery) only had a 4.54 second 40 time and like I said, big weight difference with minimal speed difference. Which would ya rather have if health wasn't a concern?

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 08/30/13 12:53 PM.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Which would ya rather have if health wasn't a concern?

probably the guy on his 2nd NFL team with 94 NFL receptions rather than the guy on his 7th NFL team with 0 NFL receptions that is only 1 year younger.

but, health is a concern.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Gurley hasn't shown much from what I can tell. I really haven't heard much good from any of the bottom of the roster type guys at WR.

I have heard that Cooper has made some plays in practices, and has shown up a little in the preseason.

The rest of the guys at the bottom of the receiver depth chart? Nothing. Edwards? Bleh. What's he done in pracrice or preseason? Roosevelt? Is he still on the roster? Gurley? Bleh. Nelson? Been hurt until 3 days ago. At least he has a track record, but it's still a question as to whether or not he'll be able to come all the way back. Maybe we keep only 5 WR (plus Gordon on the suspended list) nand an extra TE. Who knows? It depends on who the team feels can better help the team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Rookie
Rookie

brickwall Sign Kerry Rhodes the defensive backfield?????????????

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
If you are saying we should sign Rhodes I would think Horton knows him well enough to determine if he is worth signing.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

If you are saying we should sign Rhodes I would think Horton knows him well enough to determine if he is worth signing.

agreed. and apparently the rest of the NFL agrees with him.

(and I was a pro-Rhodes guy in FA)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

agreed. and apparently the rest of the NFL agrees with him.

(and I was a pro-Rhodes guy in FA)

Ditto, to an extent. I figured that if Horton wanted Rhodes badly enough, the front office would have made it happen. Evidently he likes the young guys on the roster better,

As an aside .... Seneca Wallace ended his comeback attempt prior to the 4th preseason game ....... (one in which he probably would have received playing time) He should have stuck it out for that game, because if he was cut I believe that part of his salary would have been guaranteed anyway under the new CBA. Now he gets nothing.

QB Seneca Wallace ends comeback attempt with 49ers - San Jose Mercury News
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_23977727/qb-seneca-wallace-absent-from-49ers-warm-ups

SAN DIEGO -- One of the 49ers' last roster questions got answered even before kickoff of their exhibition finale against the Chargers.

Seneca Wallace told the 49ers on Thursday morning he's decided to halt his comeback attempt, according to general manager Trent Baalke.

Signed only a week ago, Wallace's departure turned the No. 3 quarterback race into a one-man competition for rookie B.J. Daniels, if the 49ers indeed go with a three-man unit.

The 49ers have kept three quarterbacks in each of Jim Harbaugh's two seasons as coach. They must trim their roster from 75 to 53 by 1 p.m. Saturday, and they were weighing how to term Wallace's transaction, as a retirement or a terminated contract.

More pertinent to the 49ers' quarterback cause, starter Colin Kaepernick emerged healthy after playing sparingly all exhibition season.

Kaepernick made a one-series cameo Thursday -- as was the case in the first two exhibitions -- and exited after Quinton Patton's 43-yard, catch-and-run touchdown for a 7-0 lead.

Kaepernick wasn't sacked in any of his six exhibition series, and he finished 15 of 24 for 171 yards, with two touchdown passes, no interceptions and a 116.4 passer rating.

Settling on Kaepernick's backups looked like a convoluted situation a week ago, when Wallace's addition gave the 49ers a five-man quarterback crew.

Wallace, who did not play last season, took the final three snaps of Sunday's exhibition and completed his only two passes for 27 yards.

Cut last week by the New Orleans Saints, Wallace joined the 49ers as a veteran option. But Colt McCoy restructured his contract Saturday night and subsequently was named the No. 2 quarterback by Harbaugh after Sunday's rout of Minnesota.

McCoy replaced Kaepernick after one series Thursday night, and after showing off his mobility on a few scrambles, McCoy threw his first touchdown in a 49ers uniform, a 5-yard pass to Anthony Dixon.

Daniels, a seventh-round draft pick, is in line to succeed Scott Tolzien as the No. 3 quarterback behind Kaepernick and McCoy. Tolzien was released Monday after two seasons in that No. 3 role.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Legend
Legend
From above link.

The cuts the Patriots announced were tight end Jake Ballard, defensive end Marcus Benard, tight end Daniel Fells, receiver Johnathan Haggerty, linebacker Mike Rivera, offensive lineman Luke Patterson, fullback Ben Bartholomew, defensive lineman Gilbert Peña, offensive lineman Matt Stankiewitch and defensive lineman Scott Vallone.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I feel bad for Marcus Benard. If he could have stuck at either OLB or DE for a couple years, I think he could have developed into a good backup. (That and stayed off the motorcycle.)

Why is it when the Pats cut a guy, I am leary? A good team cuts some guys...surely they have some good players that get cut? Right? No.

But when the 49ers make their cuts, I wonder who we might snag.

Belichick is a snake.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

From above link.

The cuts the Patriots announced were tight end Jake Ballard, defensive end Marcus Benard, tight end Daniel Fells, receiver Johnathan Haggerty, linebacker Mike Rivera, offensive lineman Luke Patterson, fullback Ben Bartholomew, defensive lineman Gilbert Peña, offensive lineman Matt Stankiewitch and defensive lineman Scott Vallone.

They cut Ballard? Who are they going to use at TE with Gronk out and Hernandez incarcerated? Tebow?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns | Dan Gronkowski released
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:00:47 -0700
The Cleveland Browns have released TE Dan Gronkowski.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I'm hoping Cards cut Ryan Williams so we can bring him in.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

j/c

I find it both funny and sad that Braylon was cut by the Jets...this guy seemed so promising after his 2007 season, and then everything went to his head and no one wanted anything to do with him.....Now he is looking at being out of the league, all because he is such a head case.....

Its nothing short of amazing. The guy has the talent, no question, but his horrible attitude has taken him right out of the game--and its sad that the guy can't fathom that....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/10/in_seeking_the_spotlight_brayl.html

I wish we had the rest of the story below from the teams he was with after his stint with the Browns. What a read that would be.

Plain Dealer
Braylon Edwards developed a reputation for challenging his teammates on the sidelines when things weren't going well. In this 2006 loss to Cincinnati, Edwards eventually was pulled away from quarterback Charlie Frye after arguing over not getting the ball on a fourth-down pass.
BEREA, Ohio -- It didn't take Eric Mangini long to figure out what some of those before him already knew: Braylon Edwards was more trouble than he was worth.

It began on draft day in 2005, when Edwards was visibly upset that the Miami Dolphins picked Ronnie Brown at No. 2 overall instead of him. Edwards admitted he wanted to go to Miami, and lashed out at the Dolphins and then-coach Nick Saban for lying to him and using him.

It was doomed from the start.

Whether it was a circus catch or a somersault during pre-game introductions for a Monday night game against the New York Giants, Braylon Edwards liked the attention of being an NFL star. But according to some teammates, he didn't have as much interest in putting in the effort between games.
During the 2005 season, Edwards displayed his uncanny knack for saying something controversial and then blaming it on the media. That year, he said he thought a switch from Trent Dilfer to Charlie Frye would give the offense more life and energy. When he took heat from teammates, he said he was taken out of context.

But it was 2006 that was really the banner year for Edwards. That year he:

• Disobeyed head coach Romeo Crennel, renting a helicopter to attend the Ohio State-Michigan game in Columbus and arriving late for a team meeting. Crennel fined him.

• Criticized offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson's playcalling, saying he wasn't aggressive enough in the red zone.

• Called out teammate safety Brian Russell, saying Russell's hit that knocked Cincinnati's Chad Johnson out of the game "bull----." Crennel, in turn, blasted Edwards for criticizing his own teammate. "It was a legal hit," Crennel said. "You don't air family laundry."

• Went berserk on the sidelines of the Bengals game, grabbing Charlie Frye's jersey and screaming at teammates. Later, he accused teammates of quitting and "flat-out not playing."

• Was benched by Crennel for most of first half of a 22-7 loss to Tampa Bay after missing a team meeting Friday morning. Then he dropped two passes. Afterwards, Derek Anderson said, "We just all need to grow up and make plays."

Folks lambasted Crennel for not cracking down harder on Edwards, but several sources said General Manager Phil Savage, who drafted Edwards, prevented Crennel from doing so.

Other sources said that when Edwards wasn't missing team meetings, he was falling asleep in some of them -- especially on Friday mornings after being out late on Thursday nights. Again, Edwards was viewed as untouchable.

After the 2006 season, veterans such as Joe Jurevicius tried to set him straight, and it worked for a while. In 2007, he had his Pro Bowl season, catching 80 passes for 1,289 yards with 16 touchdowns.

Unfortunately for Edwards and the Browns, it went to his head. In August of 2008, he was pulled over after driving 120 mph in Avon at 2 a.m. with his passenger vomiting. Edwards only got a ticket after WOIO revealed the incident, and he blamed it on the station.

Then, he ran around practice that summer with his shoes off and had his foot gashed by Donte Stallworth, missing the entire preseason. When he returned, he dropped three passes in the opener -- the start of his 2008 dropfest. Two days later, he said of LeBron James, "LeBron isn't a Cleveland guy. LeBron only plays for the Cavaliers, and who knows if he even likes the Cavaliers?"

It was the first sign that he had issues with the King.

Edwards' season went downhill from there, ending with an NFL-high total of between 16 and 24 drops -- depending on who's counting. He was also near the top of the league in intercepted passes intended for him. Along the way, he told ESPN's Jim Rome how much he hated being here as a rookie and how he felt "unappreciated" and "a marked man" because he was from Michigan. He also frequently bashed offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski in front of teammates, sources said.

During the Texans game on Nov. 23, he approached safety Will Demps between plays about how to get into modeling and acting, according to Demps in ESPN The Magazine.

When the season was over, Edwards was out partying with Donte Stallworth -- spending $3,443 on champagne, vodka and other drinks at a posh Miami bar -- on the night Stallworth drove drunk and killed Mario Reyes.

Edwards was reportedly one of the players fined recently for not paying his hotel incidentals and is believed to have filed a grievance against the Browns. During the Bengals game, when he was held without a catch, he was overheard barking about not getting the ball. Later that night, when he was at The View, he reportedly complained to WKNR personality Sabrina Parr about his coaches and quarterbacks, saying he has no room for improvement.

Afterward, he allegedly punched James' friend, Edward Givens, and also punched his ticket out of town.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Jake Ballard may be an upgrade over Kellen Davis ... actually, I know he is.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

From above link.

They cut Ballard? Who are they going to use at TE with Gronk out and Hernandez incarcerated? Tebow?

They'll probably pick up Gronks brother because we just cut him.. see Cals post under yours

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Post deleted by Referee2

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Post deleted by Referee2

Legend
Legend
Post deleted by Referee2

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

j/c

Desmond Trufant

What? That can't be right...

Do you mean Marcus Trufant of the Jags/Seahawks?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

MoMass & Robiskie now have been cut by the Jags. And yet, Veikune continues to prove to be a worse pick than either because the Jags wouldn't even sign him!

Is he playing anywhere?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Desmond Trufant

WOW sorry ... Marcus Trufant ... sorry for the mistake guys. There's a little difference between the two

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Desmond Trufant

WOW sorry ... Marcus Trufant ... sorry for the mistake guys. There's a little difference between the two

A little difference indeed.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Am I a horrible Browns fan if I don't know who Kent Richardson is?

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp cuts (and other camp moves)

Link Copied to Clipboard