Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Legend
Legend
haha not by my standards

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I've read that the Patriots are going to put Gronkowski back on the active roster. So that indicates that they believe he will be back before week six. Also, there have been tons of positive reports about some undrafted rookie named Sudfeld. They also have Hoomanawanui, who is more of a blocking tight end.

Who knows? Maybe the will bust Tebow out at tight end.

(That was a joke).

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

I'm hoping Cards cut Ryan Williams so we can bring him in.

There were talks of them trying to trade him. He just can't stay healthy. If they cut him I would be willing to look. I don't know about a trade because you would be paying him 1st round money to be a backup.

It sounds as though he made the team.

Quote:

"We're going to keep the best 53 players, even if we have to overload one position. I'm not going to keep a bad player at one position and cut a good player."

Well, there you have it. Ryan Williams will be an Arizona Cardinal when the regular season opens up on Sept. 8.

"I'm so happy for him," said Arians. "He busted his tail six hours a day in the weight room for four months. He was so frustrated in camp, but I was so happy to see him get out and play football and play it well."

Link

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

From above link.

The cuts the Patriots announced were tight end Jake Ballard, defensive end Marcus Benard, tight end Daniel Fells, receiver Johnathan Haggerty, linebacker Mike Rivera, offensive lineman Luke Patterson, fullback Ben Bartholomew, defensive lineman Gilbert Peña, offensive lineman Matt Stankiewitch and defensive lineman Scott Vallone.

They cut Ballard? Who are they going to use at TE with Gronk out and Hernandez incarcerated? Tebow?

Zach Sudfeld will be the other TE. Been making some noise so far this preseason. I even snagged him in my fantasy football league as a sleeper pick.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From above link.

The cuts the Patriots announced were tight end Jake Ballard, defensive end Marcus Benard, tight end Daniel Fells, receiver Johnathan Haggerty, linebacker Mike Rivera, offensive lineman Luke Patterson, fullback Ben Bartholomew, defensive lineman Gilbert Peña, offensive lineman Matt Stankiewitch and defensive lineman Scott Vallone.

They cut Ballard? Who are they going to use at TE with Gronk out and Hernandez incarcerated? Tebow?

They'll probably pick up Gronks brother because we just cut him.. see Cals post under yours

Patriots already cut Dan Gronkowski once back in '11. Seems doubtful they'd bring him back.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I actually thought Ballard would be decent in the NFL. Guess I was wrong about that one.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Browns' final roster may lean heavily on waivers

BEREA —

The Browns head into final cut day with maybe the most complex array of options since Bill Belichick was their head coach.

Head coach Rob Chudzinski was succinct when asked how many spots are open:

“A lot.”

Michael Lombardi, who worked with Belichick in the 1990s, is back as general manager. He has been collaborating with Chudzinski and CEO Joe Banner on the final-cut game plan.

This much is clear: Unproven Browns who “make the team” on the cut to 53 — the reporting deadline is 6 p.m. Saturday — should be nervous.

Banner and Chudzinski are saying emphatically what Lombardi, who seldom comes up for air in public, is not. That is, Cleveland will play the waiver wire hard.

The Browns are in good position to do so. Any of the 32 teams can claim any player who is waived, but the pecking order is based on 2013 draft position, and the Browns are high on that.

By our count, as many as 10 spots were up for grabs as the brass went over coaches’ cuts of the Chicago game.

A look at choices being kicked around at certain positions:

• Wide receiver

Who gets the fifth-receiver spot behind roster cinches Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Davone Bess and Travis Benjamin?

David Nelson looked rusty at Chicago and could be a candidate for the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list that shelves players for six weeks. Josh Cooper split 2012 between the practice squad and regular roster. Tori Gurley demonstrated at Chicago why he keeps getting invited to NFL camps.

• Tight end

Kellen Davis, who played 16 games for the Bears last year, seems set as the third tight end behind Jordan Cameron and Gary Barnidge. The question is whether 28-year-old Dan Gronkowski, whose late touchdown catch helped beat the Bears, stays as a fourth tight end.

• Running back

With Dion Lewis and Montario Hardesty on injured reserve, it’s hard to imagine Lombardi not arguing for the best back available via waivers.

Brandon Jackson’s candidacy to be the man easing Trent Richardson’s workload took a hit this month. In games against the Lions, Colts and Bears, he received a team-high 17 carries. Twice, he ran for five yards. On the other 15 carries combined, he netted one yard. That’s not an average of a yard per carry. It’s one yard.

• Inside linebacker

What’s up behind starters D’Qwell Jackson and Craig Robertson?

Our calculations do not assume a roster spot for any of four men behind them who might make the roster: Tank Carder (Round 5 pick by the Bills in 2012), L.J. Fort (appeared in all 16 games as a 2012 undrafted rookie), James-Michael Johnson (eight starts as a rookie Round 4 draft pick) and Justin Staples (undrafted rookie who quickly won the respect of linebacker coaches).

• Secondary

Often, the last spot or two is claimed by a player who can plug in as needed at safety or cornerback and also excels on special teams.

After Joe Haden and T.J. Ward (71 combined NFL starts), the entire collection of corners and safeties behind them boasts a grand total of 15 NFL starts, 12 by Chris Owens, three by Gipson.

Rookie Round 3 pick Leon McFadden will get a roster spot. Johnson Bademosi, who appeared in 16 games as a 2012 undrafted rookie, probably will.

That leaves rookie Round 6 pick Jamoris Slaughter and undrafted rookie Josh Aubrey hoping there is room, after a waiver claim the brass is almost certain to exercise in this area, for them.

Waiver claim ... the words of the hour on “final cut day” in Cleveland.

Players coming in may have zero experience with Cleveland. So many Browns’ roster candidates have almost no experience in the league.

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1837079...s#ixzz2dTtIcWxf

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Brandon Jackson’s candidacy to be the man easing Trent Richardson’s workload took a hit this month. In games against the Lions, Colts and Bears, he received a team-high 17 carries. Twice, he ran for five yards. On the other 15 carries combined, he netted one yard. That’s not an average of a yard per carry. It’s one yard.

Ouch.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Two days later, he said of LeBron James, "LeBron isn't a Cleveland guy. LeBron only plays for the Cavaliers, and who knows if he even likes the Cavaliers?"

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while ........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

David Nelson looked rusty at Chicago and could be a candidate for the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list that shelves players for six weeks.

I really wish that writers would learn the NFL rules.

Nelson practiced, and played in a preseason game. Thus he is no longer eligible to go on the PUP list.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while ........

my thoughts of heckert.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I actually thought Ballard would be decent in the NFL. Guess I was wrong about that one.

He played well for the Giants, but he hasn't played a real game since his injury.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

He played well for the Giants, but he hasn't played a real game since his injury.

Agreed. He never fully recovered from the torn ACL.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

I really wish that writers would learn the NFL rules.

It's not like it's their job or anything. . .

#806819 08/31/13 04:47 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The other thread was getting long...

Already some players cut that could upgrade the Browns depth, but many more and even better options will be made available during the day:

Guys I'd consider:

G Rachal (ARI...46 career starts at G, 8 last season, 27yo)
DL D.Carter (ARI...played and spot started for Horton as UDFA)
S Amaya (ARI)
RB D.Carter (BAL)
CB M.Anthony (BAL)
RB L.Ball (DEN)
RB A.Allen (CHI)
RB D.Johnson (HOU)
CB R.Carmichael (HOU)
CB M.Trufant (JAX)
OT McQuistan (JAX)
DE J.Kruger (PHI)
CB Lindley (PHI)
OLB M.Benard (NE)
ILB M.Rivera (NE)
K D.Carpenter (NYJ)
ILB G.Guyton (TEN)
G/C Caldwell (BUF)

That's already some nice talent and/or stop gap vets let go, so I expect even better talent to be available soon, especially at RB, but Ball and A.Allen already would represent upgrades to Cook, who started camp as 5th/6th option. They may be even better runners than BJax. Cincy and Washington cuts is the way to look though at RB. Trufant might be a Sheldon Brown-like stop gap no2 CB. Skrine is no outside CB, McFadden struggled in preseason and Owens was demoted to dime-CB in ATL last year. Trufant has sure lost two steps, but still has the smarts.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
DjangoBrown #806820 08/31/13 07:39 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't really like that list. I do think we'll bring some guys in, but hopefully not from that list. Never liked Trufant at all. Not sure what others saw in him.

DjangoBrown #806821 08/31/13 08:20 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lindley was overshadowed by the big names philly brought in but I thought he was a solid kid for them.

RB there will be a few good ones hitting the streets today. I would probably just cut Jackson and Cook and use OB as my #2, go out and find another FB.

Not really worried about guard right now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Post deleted by Referee2

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Post deleted by Referee2

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
BatDawg #806824 08/31/13 09:24 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Might be hard for us to work a trade with Seattle after the recent trade experience with them lol

Mourgrym #806825 08/31/13 09:27 AM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Might be hard for us to work a trade with Seattle after the recent trade experience with them lol

Possible, but we know they like Sanford, and we could use another veteran in the db's. As long as he passes his physical.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Legend
Legend
Pretty sure Benard won't be back, but I liked him while he was with us. I will need to see where we are at deadline because I expect a busy day. Do players from waivers or deals outside have a different deadline or timeframe or is it all done this afternoon for roster and PS?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #806827 08/31/13 09:36 AM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Info on the next few days, per league rules.

August 31
Prior to 6:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

August 31
Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

September 1 Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00

September 1 Beginning at 12:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an Accrued Season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during each of any Accrued Seasons. A player cannot serve on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons.

September 1 Final day of preseason training camp for all clubs, as defined in CBA Article 23, Section 9.

September 3
After 4:00 p.m., New York time, a club is permitted to place a player on Reserve/Injured as "Designated for Return."

September 4 At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for all NFL Player Contracts, Practice Player Contracts, tender offers, and miscellaneous amounts to fit within each Club’s 2013 Salary Cap, in anticipation of the midnight expiration of the Top 51 Rule.

September 5 At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL Clubs.

September 5, 8-9 Regular Season opens.

BatDawg #806828 08/31/13 09:43 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
All you people that lashed out at me for saying Nelson was likely to get cut due to his poor showing and thus forth, well appears I wasn't the only one thinking he sucked. Browns axed him:

David Nelson, axed:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/31/browns-cut-david-nelson/

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 08/31/13 09:44 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
jc

All you people that mocked me, told me I was wrong and etc about David Nelson, well appears I wasn't the only one who thought he sucked and is more trouble than worth.

Browns cut him:

Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

All you people that mocked me, told me I was wrong and etc about David Nelson, well appears I wasn't the only one who thought he sucked and is more trouble than worth.

Browns cut him:

How many times are you going to post this,, what do you want, a freakin pat on the back? Geez

And I don't know anyone that mocked you.. I do know that some disagreed with you because he just came back to camp and should have been and was, rusty.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
BatDawg #806831 08/31/13 10:11 AM
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V

Dawg_LB #806832 08/31/13 10:17 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

All you people that lashed out at me for saying Nelson was likely to get cut due to his poor showing and thus forth, well appears I wasn't the only one thinking he sucked. Browns axed him:

David Nelson, axed:

dummy should have wore cleats.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

jc

Browns cut him:

Aren't you special. I don't remember anybody lashing out.

I was one who liked Nelson, but it looks like the Browns may be opting for Gurley....is that the name?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Browns also released Justin Staples this morning ... and Washington surprisingly released Chase Minnifield

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yep, Tori Gurley...

... and yes, I am special

D
Legend
Legend
D
Packers axe Vince Young. Who wants to bet me five bucks the Jets don't sign him immediately?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/31/packers-cut-vince-young/

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Should at least bring Minnifield in and take a look at him. His name should get him a tryout or something.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Packers axe Vince Young. Who wants to bet me five bucks the Jets don't sign him immediately?

That's kind of shocking. Didn't the Pack just cut their other backup who Young was competing with for the backup job?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yep, Tori Gurley...

... and yes, I am special

Hark! I hear a band playing...looks like we are throwing you your own parade. (J/k, dawg...)

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Washington surprisingly released Chase Minnifield

Well that is interesting.....

Legend
Legend
The Chargers cut former Steelers OT Max Starks.

I am curious as to which RBs might come free from the Seahawks or Redskins. Those 2 teams seemed to run really well this preseason.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

That's kind of shocking. Didn't the Pack just cut their other backup who Young was competing with for the backup job?

Yep...they cut Harrell the other day. Looks like the Pack is going with B.J. Coleman as their #2 guy.

BJ is a product of Chattanooga and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Way to go BJ!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DjangoBrown #806843 08/31/13 11:07 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Let the poo storm begin. . .

Tebow cut.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

It's also kind of shocking since Vince played pretty decent in the preseason. Green Bay must have something in mind I guess for their #2. Worlds will fall if Rodgers get injured.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp cuts (and other camp moves)

Link Copied to Clipboard