Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

He did this preseason?

OTA's, I believe.

Legend
Legend
I saw him playing in their preseason game?

Reading the Redskins board there were quite a few people who were angry that he was cut. And the tweets by their beat writers found it surprising too ... but maybe he stinks I wouldn't know.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Just looked at his Wiki...the ACL was last year. My bad.

Apparently there's a blurb there that they want him on their practice squad, which shouldn't be a problem.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/01/browns-dump-kellen-davis/

Browns dump Kellen Davis

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT

AP
Yes, tight end Kellen Davis made it onto the Browns’ initial 53-man roster. Less than 18 hours later, he’s gone.

Per a league source, Davis has been cut by the Browns.

Davis, dumped earlier this year by the Bears, appeared in 16 games for each of the last five years, starting 15 in 2012 and 15 in 2011.

He appeared in all four preseason games for the Browns, starting in Week Three and Week Four.

A vested veteran, Davis instantly becomes a free agent. He was due to earn a base salary of $715,000, the minimum for a sixth-year player.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I am not glad Kellen Davis got cut, but I am not said to see him go. Bears fans regarded him as the worst football player of all time. That is not something I wanted to experience.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Pretty thin at TE now, given Camerion has the talent but hte health concerns to back it up...

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Cameron, Barnidge, and Smelley. That's the normal number of tight ends I believe. I, like you and every other Browns fan, am skeptical about Cameron's ability to stay healthy. People were surprised the Packers cut a tight end, D.J. Williams, maybe he is an option.

Legend
Legend
I actually thought that Davis did a nice job at TE this preseason. His hands were better than advertised.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
For his hands to be better than advertised all he needed to do was catch one pass (if you listen to the Bears fans).

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This offseason already looks like an abortion with regards to week one: Mingo and Bryant injured, McFadden overmatched and won't see the field much, same for Gilkey. Slaughter and Davis cut. Kruger is all that's left, otherwise it's the same players the new regime inherited for week one. Pretty disappointing to say the least.
I especially consider it a big, fat FAIL job going with Skrine as the designated starter at CB, especially since every fan that watched the team last season saw that problem/hole at CB coming. Makes me want to push my "confidence" in those guys way down. Incredibly careless imho.

Anyway, another RB, CB and K are mandatory at this point and probably another TE or WR too. Maybe they use Smelley as 3rd TE/backup FB, but with Gordon suspended, 4 WR and 2 TE is too thin, so at least one more player at those positions will be added.

The talent among the last cuts wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but here are more names added to those I already mentioned in here that could be worth it:

WR Harper (SEA, 4th round rook, similar to Sanu as a player)
WR Bumphis (MIA)
CB T.Hawthorne (PIT, 5th round rook)
WR T.King (DEN, 5th round rook)
WR C.Roby (NO, strictly a KR/emergency WR)
CB C.Carr (NO, stop gap vet, not the best though)
TE C.Harbor (PHI, I bet he's the guy Banner's looking at to replace Kellen Davis)

Numerous teams kept (and protected) 4 RBs, the Saints and Cards even kept 5. So maybe a trade is needed to add a competent RB to the mix. Alex Smith made the Bengals roster as 3rd TE/backup FB. My fav draft 2nd day TE Gragg made the Bills roster as a 7th rounder and has a good shot at playing time there.
Lots of good RBs were availble at the top of the 6th round when we drafted a player who was off on most teams boards and predictably wasn't healthy enough to make it, guys like Stepfan Taylor or Andre Ellington would look good now on the roster. Slaughter was our 3rd draft pick and one os the highest picked players let go in the entire NFL this weekend. If you look at the higher picks let go, it was by PO contending teams with already good depths on their roster. For a team that didn't do much in FA and wasn't a contender that's pretty disappointing again.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Hater

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Cameron, Barnidge, and Smelley. That's the normal number of tight ends I believe. I, like you and every other Browns fan, am skeptical about Cameron's ability to stay healthy. People were surprised the Packers cut a tight end, D.J. Williams, maybe he is an option.

I haven't heard anything on Smelley's injury, anyone else?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Clay Harbor always seemed to have some athleticism. And I believe he's a pretty good special teams player. But I think Smelley is really the third tight end and will not see much time at fullback.

Quote:

This offseason already looks like an abortion with regards to week one: Mingo and Bryant injured

It's hard to knock them for injuries, especially a extremely rare one like a bruised lung.

Your other points are valid and I understand your gripe.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Quote:

I haven't heard anything on Smelley's injury, anyone else?

During the Chicago game they mentioned that he had an issue with his shoulder and would not return, but no more details than that.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

This offseason already looks like an abortion with regards to week one: Mingo and Bryant injured

It's hard to knock them for injuries, especially a extremely rare one like a bruised lung.

Your other points are valid and I understand your gripe.

Well, there were numerous concerns with Mingo's stature/health risk and we're talking about a top 10 pick here, so lots of money and value invested. The fact that he didn't even get hit and suffered as sever an injury makes it even worse for me.

Nobody accepted excuses for last year's team with regards to injuries and suspensions that crippled our start to the season, which was 0-5. We were a 5-6 team once key players like Rubin and Haden returned.

Also, if the previous regime gets (absoltely rightfully) criticized for TRich and Hardesty with regards to health, then it's only fair to point to obvious risks/duds like Mingo and Slaughter, who had health risks attached to them.
Yeah, I include Slaughter too, because for a team and roster like the Browns, whiffing this badly on a high 6th rounder, after passing to use your 4th and 5th rounder, thus making him the 3rd highest addition of your draft, is pretty disappointing, especially considering we could have drafted one of the top kickers of the draft (Hopkins) or one of numerous RBs (S.Taylor, A.Ellington, Burkhead, Barner) or a TE (Rivera or Gragg) or another CB like Poyer, all players that would have looked good on our roster right now.

#gmstrong

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

The fact that he didn't even get hit and suffered as sever an injury makes it even worse for me.

I must have missed this. What do you mean he didn't even get hit?

Can I take a walk right now and get a bruised lung? It's a serious question.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The fact that he didn't even get hit and suffered as sever an injury makes it even worse for me.

I don't see how he could get that injury and not have gotten hit?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Do I post or wait for Part II??? lol

Anyways. Obviously when we get Lava n Pinkston back we will lose a couple of OLmen on the roster. And actually gain two roster spots to fill.

Kicker no way we will utilize our punter as the kicker...oh n Holder as well!

We must of had a couple of guys spotted with teams that had good to great veterans on it. Thought maybe Bogatay would stick but that late groin injury I guess sealed his fate.

Dawson however still bodes as a rare faux pas by our new guys. Of course if that is our worst mistake we are doing pretty good.

Off to the waiver wire to upgrade on any of the bottom third of our Roster. 15-18 players

JMHO man just one more week till football

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Well, reportedly he didn't get a hit to the chest or anything like that. They call it a "condition" and I really hope there isn't a more serious concern underneath it, but if there isn't and he sustained this playing football, then it concerns me even more that he can catch as bad an injury without even getting a NFL-level hit.
Anyone who has seen him play at LSU knows that he wasn't the most physical player, although he wasn't playing soft at all, to the contrary, he was an all out hustle player with a good motor that was fun to watch, but he really struggled to finish tackles/sacks at the college level because of his slender build and this "problem" will only get magnified in the NFL (I already have nightmares seeing him bounce off of Roethlisberger). His body was only one of many question marks with regards to his projection.

Anyway, Banner said right after the draft that they valued Mingo over the deal they had on the table from the Rams. Right after that comment, I put this "equation" in "names" meaning that Mingo has to be more valuable than a combination of CB X.Rhodes/TE Eifert and CB J.Taylor/G Warford/OLB D.Moore/FS Swearinger.

Rhodes/Warford/D.Moore or Eifert/Taylor/Swearinger both look a lot better than Mingo/McFadden right now and it didn't exactly take a psychic to see and know that. Even healthy, you have to question this FOs understanding of "value" considering that Mingo is strictly a situational player at this point and considering his frame maybe much longer, which for a top 10 pick is close to lunacy.

I didn't have much faith in these guys talent evaluation skills and the early returns reinforces that opinion.

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I, for one, definitely wanted Hopkins.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Anyways. Obviously when we get Lava n Pinkston back we will lose a couple of OLmen on the roster. And actually gain two roster spots to fill.

We must of had a couple of guys spotted with teams that had good to great veterans on it. Thought maybe Bogatay would stick but that late groin injury I guess sealed his fate.

Dawson however still bodes as a rare faux pas by our new guys. Of course if that is our worst mistake we are doing pretty good.

Off to the waiver wire to upgrade on any of the bottom third of our Roster. 15-18 players

You can wait if you want... LOL

Anyway, yeah, when Pink and Lava return, a couple of guys will/could be cut or moved to PS. Not sure which.

I expect that maybe one of the LB's will end up on the PS as well.

That would open up 3 spots.. So, it could be depth at OG or WR or RB or CB and a Kicker. we'll see..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

Anyway, yeah, when Pink and Lava return, a couple of guys will/could be cut or moved to PS. Not sure which.

That would open up 3 spots.. So, it could be depth at OG or WR or RB or CB and a Kicker. we'll see..

Isn't Pink and Lava already members of the 53? Why do they need to cut anyone upon their return?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
James-Michael Johnson signed by the Chiefs...

Link

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
deleted: wrong thread

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Can't remember the last time our FO played as much "the grass is greener" with their roster. Not sure this is a good sign

Exactly. See my response in the Browns final 53 thread.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't Pink and Lava already members of the 53? Why do they need to cut anyone upon their return?

Yes, getting them back won't in and of itself open spots, but with them on the roster, they'll probably cut or put a couple of guys on the PS. Something that can't afford to do today without Pinky and Lava ready to go.

But all that is changed already,, I just read on here that we picked up an OG/C...

Last edited by Damanshot; 09/01/13 01:47 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Of course we won't HAVE TO - what I'm saying is now way we carry this many OL...the only reason we are (I think 10 is more than enough not 12) carrying the numbers we are is because Lava n Pinkston are out for a couple of games. When they are ready to return I'm saying we will definitely Release a couple of OL not cause we have to but because we are carrying too many then.

Of course opening the door to sign two other players to the roster.

JMHO...nothing more but pretty sure I'm on the money

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

James-Michael Johnson signed by the Chiefs...

Link

Ah well, best of luck to you JMJ.

D
Legend
Legend
D
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...report-1.425439

Get o-linemen Patrick Lewis off waivers (former Packer).

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Thanks Damanshot and Eotab!

I thought the same. From reading your posts, you guys made it sound as if we needed to waive someone on their return. We're on the same page now!

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Raiders claimed DL Brian Sanford off waivers from the Browns.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?rw=1

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Looks like Seneca Wallace is still milking his back-up career., even after opening his mouth Green Bay signs him (and they released Vince Young that played well for them?):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-aaron-rodgers/

Legend
Legend
So they chose Seneca Wallace over Vince Young?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

So they chose Seneca Wallace over Vince Young?

Yeah I don't get it. I thought Vince played well for them. Must have been more going on behind the scenes but with that said, it's gotta be known Wallace is a cancer in the locker room. I remember when he said he wasn't willing to offer advice or help Colt and just sounds like a non-team player.

Beats me...

M
Legend
Legend
M
I personally don't think too much of Wallace (due to stories I heard while he was Iowa State) but there is nothing that shows he is a cancer in the locker room. That agenda driven nonsense was started by people who didn't like him simply because he had prior ties to Holmgren. The comments said during the time Colt was expected to be our starting QB were very unfortunate and ill-advised, but Seneca wanted/thought he could to be the starter....considering what product we saw from Colt, can you blame him? If one sentence or two to the media determines you a locker room cancer, then the NFL is overrun by an epidemic. These are also the same folks who claimed Wallace was nothing more than a spy for MH...talk about conspiracy theories. That stuff was from the official CB board and not sure if it surfaced here.

As far as the GB signing is concerned, they run a WCO that Wallace should be very familiar with.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I personally don't think too much of Wallace (due to stories I heard while he was Iowa State) but there is nothing that shows he is a cancer in the locker room. That agenda driven nonsense was started by people who didn't like him simply because he had prior ties to Holmgren. The comments said during the time Colt was expected to be our starting QB were very unfortunate and ill-advised, but Seneca wanted/thought he could to be the starter....considering what product we saw from Colt, can you blame him? If one sentence or two to the media determines you a locker room cancer, then the NFL is overrun by an epidemic. These are also the same folks who claimed Wallace was nothing more than a spy for MH...talk about conspiracy theories. That stuff was from the official CB board and not sure if it surfaced here.

As far as the GB signing is concerned, they run a WCO that Wallace should be very familiar with.

Dude, if a guy says that to the media without a second thought, who knows what he says in the locker rooms but I could take an educated guess, it's probably why he has done nothing but bounce from team to team. On a squad full of young people, that isn't what we need but I guess Green Bay is acceptable of his nature. But if you want to stick up for him, then cool bro.

Legend
Legend
Yep. Wallace should be a quality backup in Green Bay.

If anyone writes that he should be the starter, they would be laughed out of the state. I think that he knows his role very well. We didn't hear a word about Wallace wanting/expecting to be the starter in Seattle, and I wouldn;t expect to hear anything in Green Bay either.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not backing him up and as I said I'm not a fan of him- I just don't believe wild speculation from a sentence or two and board member(s) agenda as the only reasons to justify him as being a locker room cancer. To me, that's reckless.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Yeah I don't get it. I thought Vince played well for them. Must have been more going on behind the scenes but with that said, it's gotta be known Wallace is a cancer in the locker room. I remember when he said he wasn't willing to offer advice or help Colt and just sounds like a non-team player.

Wallace should be ok in Green Bay then.. the Packers have a QB who won't need Seneca's advice.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp cuts (and other camp moves)

Link Copied to Clipboard