Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
hey, that was my 1500 post. It only took 7 years. A mini-mile stone of sorts. Spent it complaining about the refs, imagine that

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
What I diislike about the instant replay rule is that, in the most important part of the game, (the 2 minute warning of both halves) the coaches are helpless to challenge anything. I also dislike the limitations as to what can be challenged. Get a game changing pass interference call and it cannot be challenged. Get a game changing 15 yard "hit to the head of a defenseless receiver" that wasn't a penalty, and it's just too bad.

I don't care if it adds a minute or 2 to the game, I would rather see them get it right. Maybe personal fouls could automatically be reviewed, just like TDs are. That process seems to be pretty seamless now. I am just sick and tired of seeing teams gain 15 yards for no good reason.The officials are so scared of not calling a hit on a players that they call way too many. (except for those on our players)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Those 15 yard game changers need to be reviewed, same with the spot foul PI. It just can't be up to the refs on the field- they have proven their incompetence time after time. It will take a high profile game with these game changing decisions for anything to be done about it.

There was a boat load of BS in the Seattle v. Stillers "Big Game" a few years ago and it didn't change one darn thing. Rooney's and Kraft are the names that control the NFL & zebra corps.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Can we replace the existing rulebook with that of about 1985?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

Those 15 yard game changers need to be reviewed, same with the spot foul PI. It just can't be up to the refs on the field- they have proven their incompetence time after time. It will take a high profile game with these game changing decisions for anything to be done about it.

There was a boat load of BS in the Seattle v. Stillers "Big Game" a few years ago and it didn't change one darn thing. Rooney's and Kraft are the names that control the NFL & zebra corps.

yeah, you are correct. Same can be said about the VIkes/Saints game- but that lead to OT rules being tweaked.
So maybe it is one of the NFL darlings that needs to get screwed before something changes.

Legend
Legend
jc.

thqat defenseless receiver crap has got to go. i understand the helmet to helmet part, but you can't lay a lick on the reciever when he tries to catch it? to me it basically seems like you have to allow him to catch it, which is stupid.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

jc.

thqat defenseless receiver crap has got to go. i understand the helmet to helmet part, but you can't lay a lick on the reciever when he tries to catch it? to me it basically seems like you have to allow him to catch it, which is stupid.

Agreed. It's sickening.

There was a game earlier this year, forget who know, where the QB was scrambling and right before he stepped out of bounds he threw the ball. A defender hit him (not leading with helmet, hit QB's midsection with his shoulder) as he was throwing the ball (always a good tactic, messes up the throw) and he got flagged. I remember thinking at the time that it looked like the D has to let the QB throw the ball unimpeded. And now you also have to the receiver catch it.

Why not break out the dice and the old APBA boards?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
After this week, I'd like to see one thing changed. It's impractical and wouldn't work, but if a ref penalizes a team incorrectly and it costs them the game, I'd like to see the record (W-L) corrected.

Like I said, won't happen, but it would be interesting.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
Rule change:

Less equipment. Take away all the excess padding and hard helmets and these guys will wrap and tackle rather than spear, dive, etc. Make the game more about technique and ability.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

There was a game earlier this year, forget who know, where the QB was scrambling and right before he stepped out of bounds he threw the ball. A defender hit him (not leading with helmet, hit QB's midsection with his shoulder) as he was throwing the ball (always a good tactic, messes up the th¡ow) and he got flagged. I remember thinking at the time that it looked like the D has to let the QB throw the ball unimpeded. And now you also have to the receiver catch it.

RGIII has admitted that there have been times when he was approaching the sidelines he has pulled up to try to get the defenders to stop so he could then cut up field for more yardage (says he's seen Vick do it too).. he has also admitted that there have been times where he was planning on running out of bounds but he slows down so the defender can get closer and hit him just as he gets to the line so he can get the penalty...

It would be impossible to make the call, but in my opinion, using the rules deceptively like that to your advantage is worthy of a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty...

yebat' Putin
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I've been saying in recent years...throw a soft layer on the exterior of the helmet to cushion impact/absorb and dissipate energy

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

There was a game earlier this year, forget who know, where the QB was scrambling and right before he stepped out of bounds he threw the ball. A defender hit him (not leading with helmet, hit QB's midsection with his shoulder) as he was throwing the ball (always a good tactic, messes up the throw) and he got flagged. I remember thinking at the time that it looked like the D has to let the QB throw the ball unimpeded. And now you also have to the receiver catch it.

RGIII has admitted that there have been times when he was approaching the sidelines he has pulled up to try to get the defenders to stop so he could then cut up field for more yardage (says he's seen Vick do it too).. he has also admitted that there have been times where he was planning on running out of bounds but he slows down so the defender can get closer and hit him just as he gets to the line so he can get the penalty...

It would be impossible to make the call, but in my opinion, using the rules deceptively like that to your advantage is worthy of a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty...

I know I've seen a couple instances where he benefitted from late-hit calls despite not being out of bounds when he was hit.

With the high incidence of critical errors being made by officials in assessing penalties incorrectly, I see no other option for the NFL except an automatic review of any assessed penalty that results in more than 10 yards against the offending team (which would essentially be personal fouls and defensive PIs). The review should be treated like turnovers and scores...no hurrying to snap the ball to avoid the review. It should also be a booth review...the officials on the field should have no further say in the matter. People will say that it will slow the game too much, but the extra time would be minimal and I'm sure the fans by and large would prefer the calls to be correct.

I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of 15+ yard penalties are assessed against defenses. The overwhelming majority would be my guess, and therein lies the rub: these penalties lead to higher scoring, which the league believes is what the fans want in this era of NFL Red Zone and fantasy football, and they lead to improbable comebacks and controversial wins, which build drama and keep the NFL on the tips of everyone's tongues.

They ought to also keep a pool of on-call officials...grade low enough for a game and you get demoted while the highest-ranked official on call takes your place. You go to the end of the queue where you remain, without pay, until your spot is the first in line and someone gets demoted. There needs to be some additional incentive to do your job competently than "you don't get to ref the Super Bowl this year".

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I've been saying in recent years...throw a soft layer on the exterior of the helmet to cushion impact/absorb and dissipate energy

You want a hard outer shell so‰the helmets slide past each other. If you put a soft outer layer, the helmets and neck will take on most of the force.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You want a hard outer shell so the helmets slide past each other. If you put a soft outer layer, the helmets and neck will take on most of the force.

soft outer layers will simply shred with the repeated impacts. Lineman would be going through several outer shells per game.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You want a hard outer shell so the helmets slide past each other. If you put a soft outer layer, the helmets and neck will take on most of the force.

soft outer layers will simply shred with the repeated impacts. Lineman would be going through several outer shells per game.

Additionally, there are anti-friction coatings that should resolve the issue...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rule Changes You Would Like to See Next Year

Link Copied to Clipboard