Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#828140 12/03/13 07:20 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Cleveland Browns coach Rob Chudzinski should contemplate handing out name tags to his quarterbacks to make sure he can identify them.

The Browns signed quarterback Caleb Hanie on Tuesday, according to the team's website, and he could start against the New England Patriots. Cleveland quarterbacks Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden are recovering from concussion injuries, which prompted the Browns to sign Hanie.

If Hanie is forced to play on Sunday, he would join Brian Hoyer, Campbell and Weeden as Cleveland’s starters this season. Hoyer was 3-0 in his three starts before he sustained a season-ending ACL injury.

When Chudzinski was asked if his team could start a quarterback off the street before Tuesday’s signing, he did not rule out that possibility.

“All of the possibilities are open right now,'' Chudzinski told Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot.

Weeden suffered his concussion during Sunday's 32-28 loss against Jacksonville and Campbell suffered his Nov. 24 against the Steelers. There is still a chance Campbell could play on Sunday, but Hanie is Cleveland’s insurance policy.

Hanie spent four seasons as Jay Cutler’s backup in Chicago. He played behind Peyton Manning’s in Denver last year. Hanie is 0-4 as a starter during his NFL career.

It appears the “Angry Browns Fan” can add Hanie to his next melody.

- - - - - - -

Anwar S Richardson is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at NFLAnwar@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @AnwarRichardson

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...55971--nfl.html

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
He's a vet...

He has experience in the NFL, and has played in a game. He is a good insurance policy if Tanney cant handle it.

I get a feeling we'll see a good amount of Wildcat with Gray behind center...at least I'd do that.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
my first thought--- i hope my FFL opponent does not have the New England patriots defense. That would be a heck of a way to start the playoffs.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Gotta admit, that was pretty funny.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

He's a vet...

He has experience in the NFL, and has played in a game. He is a good insurance policy if Tanney cant handle it.

I get a feeling we'll see a good amount of Wildcat with Gray behind center...at least I'd do that.

If we plan on doing that, we should have signed Tebow. We probably should have anyway. He has playoff experience.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
A complete newbie at the starting quarterback position. General Manager's have really outdone themselves this time. I don't want to hear any favorable comparison for this group vs what Holmgren and Heckert tried to provide.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, they really messed up. There are a lot of guys like Manning and Luck hanging around on the waiver wire this time of the year.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Brett Favre is a Super Bowl winner!

It has to start somehow
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
So is Trent Dilfer.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Sign em both!

and Jeff Garcia, and Jeff George, and Jeff Blake

It has to start somehow
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

A complete newbie at the starting quarterback position. General Manager's have really outdone themselves this time. I don't want to hear any favorable comparison for this group vs what Holmgren and Heckert tried to provide.

This FO gave us a diamond in the rough that went 3-0 (hoyer) and a capable backup that almost won vs a 9-0 team and won a game before the team collapsed around him. He also probably could've beaten the Steelers if they weren't cheaters. Obviously Campbell isn't a long term solution (which is why he was passed up when Weeden got hurt for Hoyer), but you can't deny was a servicable backup for 2 games.

Comparing that to what? McCoy + Weeden? lol, Weeden has single handedly lost us 3 games this season and has played a big part in another 3.

And I actually backed Weeden after last season. Thought he had a great season "for a rookie", but this year he totally regressed and is just plain awful, and our coaching staff and FO saw that and took steps to remedy it.

You just cannot win with 5 injuries to the QB position. Just look at playoff contender Green Bay, their starting QB went down and they're awful now. Imagine if they had to go 4 deep like us (seemingly every year).

I'm sick of the excuses too, but you can only expect so much when the universe just seems to hate us lol

Rather than focus on blaming the FO for talent acquisition I'd like us to consult a shaman or something to remove this injury/infection/mental illness curse that we have :-P or at the very least some kind of amazing strength + conditioning coach.

Last edited by myka; 12/03/13 08:39 PM.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
and Eddie George, and Eddie Vedder, and Darth Vedder, and Darth Maul, and Rey Mauluga, and Rey Lewis, and Jamal Lewis, and Jamal Anderson, and Anderson Cooper, and Cooper Carlisle,

It has to start somehow
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Definitely doesn't measure up to the all star cast that H&H trotted out onto the field. McCoy, Wallace, Delhomme, Lewis. Yeah that sure sets H&H apart from this FO.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
We need pro bowl 4th stringers!

All things considered...its disappointing to me, with all of the questions marks that we've had that we didn't at least sign someone to our practice squad when Hoyer went out for the year. Unless they had ideas of trotting out MarQuies Gray ever

It has to start somehow
C
1st String
1st String
C
What was the point?.. By signing him do they think they will win the rest of their games? They are not going to the playoffs and they should never have let Weeden take the reigns to begin with.Now it's too late,and the teams morale is gone.....the time to bring in other QBs was early on in the year,not now.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You mean back when we had 3 healthy QBs on the roster? Back when Weeden was going to make the big jump under Turner's tutelage? Back when Campbell would be the veteran backup we could turn to when/if needed?

You're telling me that you were saying, at the beginning of the season, that we needed to be carrying at least 5 QBs because we would need all of them over the course of the season?

Do you blame the guy that gets T-boned by a drunk driver because he was driving around on a Friday night?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

You mean back when we had 3 healthy QBs on the roster? Back when Weeden was going to make the big jump under Turner's tutelage? Back when Campbell would be the veteran backup we could turn to when/if needed?

You're telling me that you were saying, at the beginning of the season, that we needed to be carrying at least 5 QBs because we would need all of them over the course of the season?

Do you blame the guy that gets T-boned by a drunk driver because he was driving around on a Friday night?

You mean when Weeden was good?..Remind me when that was again?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I heard a loud WOOSH sound, and then came back to this thread and read your response.

I never said Weeden was good. Let me explain more clearly and simply.

The idea at the beginning of the year was that Weeden would flourish in Norv's system. Barring that, we had signed a veteran who has had some success previously starting in the NFL. We also had Hoyer. Lombardi said he was good and everyone was rolling their eyes.

Weeden never made the jump, but that's irrelevant. You act like they should have known that we would need at least 5 QBs (and counting) to make it through one season. That's ludicrous. It's like saying that the guy driving home from work or to the movies on a Friday night should've known he would get hit by a drunk driver. Dumb.

You can lay blame for a number of things at the feet of the FO, but not having a serviceable QB going into the Pats game is not one of them.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

I heard a loud WOOSH sound, and then came back to this thread and read your response.

I never said Weeden was good. Let me explain more clearly and simply.

The idea at the beginning of the year was that Weeden would flourish in Norv's system. Barring that, we had signed a veteran who has had some success previously starting in the NFL. We also had Hoyer. Lombardi said he was good and everyone was rolling their eyes.

Weeden never made the jump, but that's irrelevant. You act like they should have known that we would need at least 5 QBs (and counting) to make it through one season. That's ludicrous. It's like saying that the guy driving home from work or to the movies on a Friday night should've known he would get hit by a drunk driver. Dumb.

You can lay blame for a number of things at the feet of the FO, but not having a serviceable QB going into the Pats game is not one of them.

Putting that POS Weeden on the field was and is their fault.They should have had added another QB after Hoyer went down.Ignorance of the law is no excuse...

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Sign em both!

You just broke Jeff Hofstetler's heart.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Sign em both!

You just broke Jeff Hofstetler's heart.

Did David Hasselhoff and Jeff Hostetler have a baby?

#gmstrong
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Putting that POS Weeden on the field was and is their fault.They should have had added another QB after Hoyer went down.Ignorance of the law is no excuse...

I think getting a chance to see Weeden in a new offense with new coaches was reasonable. I know I wouldn't have liked giving up on Weeden before the season started. He played very well in training camp. To Lombardi's credit, he never liked what he saw in Weeden but the head coach and offensive coordinator liked him and it is reasonable to give him a chance. The front office did go out and sign two players (Hoyer and Campbell) that performed very well until they got injured. Give them credit for that. Now you also criticize them for not signing a fourth guy after Hoyer went down. I'll listen to that. I am guessing the thinking was they didn't like any of the free agent quarterbacks out there. They would also have to give up a roster spot if they signed a guy off a practice squad. So they waited. No harm done. Management realized this year was about evaluating the talent they had and installing new systems. That's why they traded draft picks and didnt spend much money. Next offseason you will see a big overhaul and hopefully that will lead to winning games.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

I think getting a chance to see Weeden in a new offense with new coaches was reasonable. I know I wouldn't have liked giving up on Weeden before the season started. He played very well in training camp. To Lombardi's credit, he never liked what he saw in Weeden but the head coach and offensive coordinator liked him and it is reasonable to give him a chance. The front office did go out and sign two players (Hoyer and Campbell) that performed very well until they got injured. Give them credit for that. Now you also criticize them for not signing a fourth guy after Hoyer went down. I'll listen to that. I am guessing the thinking was they didn't like any of the free agent quarterbacks out there. They would also have to give up a roster spot if they signed a guy off a practice squad. So they waited. No harm done. Management realized this year was about evaluating the talent they had and installing new systems. That's why they traded draft picks and didnt spend much money. Next offseason you will see a big overhaul and hopefully that will lead to winning games.

My whole point is why bother signing a QB now?..The season is over,and I can't wait to see Weeden get the pink slip.I had enough of this guy,and getting lost under the flag during his 1st start was all we needed to know.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Why sign a qb now?

Maybe it's because............uh, Campbell is questionable for this week, Weeden is out for this week.............so, you want to go into a game with only 1 qb?

C
1st String
1st String
C
Good grief....Lololol...Oh,yeah Weeden is injured all right.They wanted to play him,so play him and lets get it over with.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They can't play him if he isn't cleared in the NFL protocol for concussions

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What QB that was available when Hoyer went down would have made a difference?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're just being unreasonably contrary and making no sense while doing it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Good grief....Lololol...Oh,yeah Weeden is injured all right.They wanted to play him,so play him and lets get it over with.

What was it you expected them to do? Put a guy out there that the league says they can't? Go with one QB? (tanney) and no back up?

I find it impossible to understand your thinking on this.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

not my post, but ht is reasonable to think that it was worth a roster spot for Tanney or Hanie at that time rather than now (we did try to sign Tolzein).

that way, they would have had a few weeks to learn the offense instead of being thrown in and having to start in 1 week. QB is too important to not have enough options.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We are arguing about why we are not in a better position with our 4th string QB...

We have officially reached a new low.

And for the record, none of this would have happened if we had Gruden as our coach, we'd have 6 QBs, all about as good as Weeden.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
you just started the rumor mill.....GRUDEN FOR HEAD COACH!!!!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And for the record, none of this would have happened if we had Gruden as our coach, we'd have 6 QBs, all about as good as Weeden.

Yeah, but.... he's 'firey.'

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
D
Legend
Legend
D
He's also one of the most horrid and annoying game announcers EVER!

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

What QB is going to make difference now? Exactly...it's not.Get Weedens butt out there and let him stink it up the rest of the way...Most teams do just fine with one QB or two at most all year,but not these idiots...they need five.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

What was it you expected them to do? Put a guy out there that the league says they can't? Go with one QB? (tanney) and no back up?

I find it impossible to understand your thinking on this.

Nonsense...he can play,and will be suited up on Sunday.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Theyre evaluating him for a concussion so he's been entered into the concussion testing protocol...if he doesn't pass, he cant play regardless...

Im with No Logo...knowing that Weeden flopped kinda hard, we should've looked to a different QB when Hoyer went down...but they weren't done with Weeden then. Then it was Campbell, Weeden, and in an emergency, MarQuies Gray...

If you cant suffice with that...I mean you've got tooooooo much stock into needing injury replacements...That being said. Someone should have AT LEAST been signed to the practice squad.

We needed someone else in here somehow...especially if they had no intention of ever giving Gray a snap at QB

It has to start somehow
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Not sure why I am trying to reason w/you after so many others have tried and failed, but......

.........we brought in Hanie because we have two QBs w/concussions. They both could be out this week. That leaves us w/the Trick Shot guy and no one else.

Hanie isn't being looked as a savior. He is being looked at as a stop-gap guy and could be released as soon as Weeden and Campbell are ready to play again.

What the heck is so hard to understand?

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

He backed up Peyton Manning? He could be our Curtis Painter! No, wait, that's not good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We are arguing about why we are not in a better position with our 4th string QB... We have officially reached a new low.

Mmmmm...perhaps not yet.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Hanie

Link Copied to Clipboard