Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
well, its a damn shame we have to make this thread. but there's all type of post in all type of threads, so might as well consolidate it here.

once again, we are looking for a new HC, potentially a OC and DC.

so, the typical names are out, cowher, Gruden, Shanahan.

and now O'brien, mcDaniels, and maybe even our OC or DC.

so who would you like to have as a HC, realistically?

IMO, i think Lovie smith would be perfect here, and since we already installed the 3-4, it would be perfect.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Jerry Glanville.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/2923/browns-next-hire-will-bring-old-promises

t hire will bring old promises

PITTSBURGH -- The Cleveland Browns just blamed the band for the fact the Titanic sank.

That’s the message from management. We’ll drive this ship into an iceberg or two, and we’ll leave you without lifeboats, but by golly if you don’t keep the inevitable from happening well we’ll hold our breath and stomp our feet and then we’ll ... we’ll ... we’ll fire you.

All the best Rob Chudzinski, the fans hardly knew ya as a head coach. And good luck whoever’s next, because you’re walking into a losing environment and losing culture and you won’t have the say in how things go.

That’s where the Cleveland Browns are right now.

Yes, the Browns will hire a coach and it may be a big name and they’ll talk him up and say he can lead a team to “sustained success” and they’ll justify this move with a coach who had one year to prove himself.
Because that’s what happens.

But that does not mean many in the NFL are not chuckling at a team that has perfected the term dysfunction in so many ways and from so many people.

Names of candidates to replace Chudzinski have surfaced. Some of them are good coaches, and would be good hires. Ken Whisenhunt is a good coach, and he’s a guy ESPN’s Adam Schefter said the Browns would interview.
Bill O’Brien of Penn State and Josh McDaniels of the Patriots are on the list as well, according to Schefter.

But when someone is hired, we’ll hear things like the new coach is “the best person to lead the Cleveland Browns to the kind of winning format that we want to have.” And they’ll call him “one of the brightest, if not the brightest young minds in the business.”

They said just that when they hired Chudzinski. Just like others said it every other time they hired a coach in Cleveland.

But while teams like Pittsburgh hire a guy and stand by him in down times and share responsibility as an organization, Cleveland jettisons them with kind words and a big check.

In a quirky way, the Browns are every bit as consistent as the Steelers. Except the Steelers (three coaches since 1999) stick with their people. The Browns consistently dump them before asking their fans for more faith and belief.

A new Browns coach will walk into this system: Joe Banner guides football. There’s no sense kidding about it, he makes final decisions on personnel. GM Mike Lombardi assesses personnel. The coach has input. But the decisions are made by Banner.

Which is fine, as long as he’s making the right decisions.

It’s also fine if you’re going to set a plan and stick with the plan alongside the guy you hire. The Browns this season clearly were building toward 2014 and beyond. To say they tanked is going far, but the focus was on the future. Chudzinski bought into it, supported it. But in the end he didn’t get the same support.

But what that system does is eliminate a strong-minded guy, or a guy capable of personnel decisions. Because he’s not going to have the say.

It’s no coincidence that Chip Kelly went to the Eagles instead of Cleveland. In Philadelphia he has say over his roster.

That leaves a guy like Whisenhunt, who might not care about roster decisions, or a guy like Chudzinski, who was eager to get a chance.

Or it leaves a guy with a previous relationship with Banner or Lombardi, like O’Brien or McDaniels, which brings Belichick lite to Cleveland, which can work but didn’t the last time the Browns tried it with a guy named Mangini.

The Browns get to hire a new coach who will buy into that system, and buy into the faith the front office shows him -- after they fired a guy they gave one year as a coach.

This from an organization whose owner’s company is the subject of a serious federal investigation fraught with seriously troubling charges and high-level former employees who already pled guilty. Yes, that has to be in the mind of any new hire.

The Browns will say it will work out, just like they said a year ago -- and so many years before that.

Trust them, the Browns will say.

And the coach they’re interviewing might want to say: Based on what?

Which at this point is probably the exact same thing the fans will say.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'd put a lot of money on Josh McDaniels.

Strong connection locally, strong connection to Lombardi, and he's had experience.

And I think it's a huge mistake.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I vote (and they would be dumb to do it, but...) they promote from within and go with Norv Turner. GAH!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Calling it right now: Josh McDaniels will be the new coach of the Cleveland Browns, and Ryan Mallet will be the starting QB.

So sayeth the book of Lombardi, so predictable.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Calling it right now: Josh McDaniels will be the new coach of the Cleveland Browns, and Ryan Mallet will be the starting QB.

you think? man i hope not. you think we get fleeced and give a 1st rounder to NE for Mallet?

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Sounds right to me.

Lombardi is so obsessed with being the Pats and everything they do. I wasn't ready to set him on fire as a witch at first, but outside of the T-Rich trade, he's proven zilch, and this move...really grinds my gears.

you had a good run Hank.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

well, its a damn shame we have to make this thread. but there's all type of post in all type of threads, so might as well consolidate it here.

IMO, i think Lovie smith would be perfect here, and since we already installed the 3-4, it would be perfect.

I was thinking the same thing about Lovie Smith. My only problem with it is that it would likely make bringing in Cutler (and I know there are some that like him) a little easier and I'm not sure that I want Cutler here.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing about Lovie Smith. My only problem with it is that it would likely make bringing in Cutler (and I know there are some that like him) a little easier and I'm not sure that I want Cutler here.

thats true. but i think the FO would make Lovies strictly coach, seeing as they are in charge of who comes and who leaves. maybe lombardi forces mallet on smith, or whoever else ends up being the HC.

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
This is ridiculous. Chud should've had another season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The guy I thought they should have interviewed last year was..... Brian Billick. He knows the division. He has an 80-64 W-L record. He's 5-3 in playoff games and he won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at quarterback! How is it he's never had another shot as a HC? Very weird.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would be on board with Brian Billick big time. To me is brutal and real to a fault. He comes off as a complete you know what! I like that right now for this team. Would be like having a poor man's Tom Coughlin. I loved him when they had the Ravens on Hard Knocks. He just knows and understands the business of being an NFL head coach and actually has been very successful! Again though it would make way too much sense for the current egos running the show.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I could handle trading for Malett, but giving up a first would give me a stroke.

And do people really hate on McDaniel for COACHING ability or just bad personnel moves he made in Denver? I really can't remember anything but him drafting Tebow & sending us the ham sandwich. I'm guessing if he came here he'd have little if any say in what players we bring in.

For those talking Billick, I've heard discussions in the past on ESPN radio on why he hasn't returned to coaching. Sounded like lots of people are put off by him & consider him an arrogant know-it-all.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I could handle trading for Malett, but giving up a first would give me a stroke.

And do people really hate on McDaniel for COACHING ability or just bad personnel moves he made in Denver? I really can't remember anything but him drafting Tebow & sending us the ham sandwich. I'm guessing if he came here he'd have little if any say in what players we bring in.

Pats reportedly want a 1st rounder for Mallett.

McDaniels drafted Tebow, traded for Kyle Orton, traded for Brady Quinn and lost 13 of his last 16 games.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
As a straight up coach, I think McDaniels is slightly above average. He seems to make the right, aggressive calls and knows how to diagram plays. The fact that the Pats had as good a offense with the players they had, minus Brady really does show a lot of creative talent.

The problem with McDaniels is the same problem every single protege of BB has: He's a total ass off the field. He alienates players, he betrays them to the media, and he cannot bend for guys who don't fit into "his system". Think younger Mangini. Whether he has had a chance to reform his ways, I don't know, but I highly doubt it.

I know BB has been grooming McDaniels for a long time. Maybe after McDaniels came back, BB pulled him to the side and told him how to act. Maybe he's learned that 2nd time around trick that BB seemed to have figured out. McDaniels did have a very Browns BB esque tenure in Denver which ended miserably and in a total dumpster fire.

I don't really like McDaniels and think he lacks far behind the creative ability that Chud would have given this team going forward, and I hate everything about him off the field. Keep in mind, I didn't even address the problems he had with scouting and talent evaluations.

Bill O'Brien I think is a much more talented coach, but I'm not sure he's coming to Cleveland. I like his aggressiveness and think it would translate well to the NFL, but I think he's destined for the Texans, as he should be. That's a talented team with the #1 pick, and he can make a quick turn around. Not sure the same can be said for Cleveland.

In short, unless the Browns absolutely know who their guy is, and he's a clear upgrade to Chud, I really hate the options that have been put forth. Seems like Haslam just got really upset and made a rash decision rather than thinking it through.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

For those talking Billick, I've heard discussions in the past on ESPN radio on why he hasn't returned to coaching. Sounded like lots of people are put off by him & consider him an arrogant know-it-all.

As long as his Browns team played as tough as his Ravens teams did he can be as arrogant as he wants to be. Considering he studied under Bill Walsh he probably does know more than your average bear when it comes to football. He was around a lot of really good coaches. Maybe an arrogant, "I WILL not allow this team to fail" kind of coach is what we NEED. You can bet Billick would be HIGHLY motivated to succeed and do so quickly. It would be do or die for his career....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
J/C ......

Typically a front office gets one mistake at head coach before the axe falls on their head.

They hired Chud less than a year ago. They are now looking for head coach #2. I cannot imagine a "name" coming here to be the bottom of the food chain in Cleveland. It is obvious that Banner will make the calls on personnel, alongside Lombardi. The coach may get some input, but he's not going to be in a position of power. That is going to eliminate a lot of candidates.

We have seen assistant coaches refuse interviews, or at least not pursue head coaching opportunities, removing their names from contention, because they didn't feel the situation was right. I cannot imagine that many coaches look at Cleveland and say "Man, he got one year and was fired, but I am sure that it'll be different for me if we struggle putting in year one of my program." We were down to our 3rd string QB, and our best RB was on another team's practice squad until only a handful of games remained. What head coach candidate will look at this situation and think "This is where I can succeed as a head coach".

Further, in the cleveland.com late night podcast, Tom Reed said that Chud went round and round with Lombardi, because he wanted a real FB, and some other players, and Lombardi felt that they should so a different direction. If the player personnel department is not going to support the coaching staff with players that fit their scheme, then why would a coach decide that this is a great situation?

I have this sickening feeling that we are going to wind up with Josh McDaniels as our next head coach. However, if he fails over the next few years, and the Browns decide to make yet another coaching change, do Banner and Lombardi go too?

Man, I see this turning into yet another cluster. I don't see many great coaching candidates deciding to come here when this organization is as dysfunctional as it is. Obviously Banner wasn't that good a salesman last time around, and he had a "new organization/fresh start" to sell then. Now he has "we fired our last head coach after just one year" to sell. If a coach candidate has multiple options, why would he choose this team? I wouldn't.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
1st String
1st String
M
The FO has to get this decision right!!! Obviously, that is the point, but we can't do this again a year from now or even 2 or 3. We have to get it right this time.

They also have to get the QB situation right!

Get your guy!!! Whether that is Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, or Manziel... get the guy you want at whatever cost it may be. We have leverage especially with Rams sitting at #2 and their QB situation in good status and no need for Clowney. They may stay put and draft Matthews, but they could trade with us and still draft Matthews.

Also, get another WR with the Colts pick. The WR group is very deep this year (Oh so why pick one in the 1st!?!?). EASY! We could get a top 10 talent with that pick. Marqise Lee may be there because of his down year and he may very well be the best WR in the draft. Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Devante Adams, Odell Beckham... Some very good WRs to be had. I would assume Watkins, Benjamin, and Evans will be gone.

If not WR, the CB and LB group this year is also very deep and one of Shazier, Mack, Beasley, Gilbert, Dennard, Mosley, or Verrett will be there.

Round 2. Maybe it's my love for RBs and/or my homerism, but please pick Hyde at this spot! A couple years ago, Hyde is a top 10 back, but the NFL has switched and the best backs are getting picked much later. He screams AFC North back and reminds me so much of the two rookies from this year (Lacy and LeVeon Bell)

Round 3. Interior Lineman, LB, RT, or RB/WR if not already taken.

A pipeline dream for me would be...

1a. QB (Honestly, don't see a big difference between the 4 big names) If I had to pick I would go Bridgewater or Manziel because of the name. Carr scares me as a system QB (Weeden) and I'm waiting to see Bortles in the bowl game.

Coach: Bill O'Brien (Because Gruden or Cowher just ain't happenin')
1b. WR Devante Adams (Stud, big strong receiver that can go over the middle) or Ryan Shazier (Can play inside and outside and is a tackling machine)
2. RB Carlos Hyde or WR Brandin Cooks (Great hands, quick, and would be a great addition to the slot)
3a. OG Gabe Jackson (Mauler)
3b, SS Deone Bucannon (If TJ is let go) If TJ is resigned, CB Bradley Roby (yeah, I think he falls this far, but he has the talent and could outplay his draft position)

Don't really know much beyond round 3, but I would try to pick Jimmy Garoppolo or the QB from Wyoming as a project QB (Kinda like the Redskins did with Cousins after picking Griffin)

There, that's my offseason so far as I sit here at 3am wondering why the hell I am still up and sitting on dawgtalkers trying to figure out what I would do if I were Haslem.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Who knows what HC they have in mind.I really don't care anymore,just as long as someone gets this team winning.This 4-12 crap is not acceptable and and the FO needs to do a better job of getting the players needed to help that coach win.

Legend
Legend
You're okay with Manziel, but scared of Carr because he's a "system QB."

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

You're okay with Manziel, but scared of Carr because he's a "system QB."

My thought exactly.

And why not wait on who we'll pick until we know what systems we'll be running?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Cowher was wearing an orange tie Sunday....

I cant believe we are having this conversation. Chud wasnt great, but for a first year coach I thought he did a good job.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

But what that system does is eliminate a strong-minded guy, or a guy capable of personnel decisions. Because he’s not going to have the say.

It’s no coincidence that Chip Kelly went to the Eagles instead of Cleveland. In Philadelphia he has say over his roster.

I would like for the author to provide some proof for that quote.

Chud and his coaches had say over our roster. Provide proof that they did not.

Or, provide a quote that says that Banner will be controlling all roster moves from this point on.

I am very unhappy about this firing, but I can't stand it when reporters lie to get their readers to believe what they want them to believe.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I would like for the author to provide some proof for that quote.

Chud and his coaches had say over our roster. Provide proof that they did not.

Or, provide a quote that says that Banner will be controlling all roster moves from this point on.

I am very unhappy about this firing, but I can't stand it when reporters lie to get their readers to believe what they want them to believe.

i feel you, but these are the same reporters who wrote the rumor articles that ended up being more than true, so you have to think...or at least entertain the idea it might have some merit to it.

regardless, its monday morning, i'm more interested in the coaching search now than the firing.

it just...man, you think they have somebody already lined up for the gig if they were quick to fire him after one season.

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
There was proof out there that Chud and his staff made roster decisions. There is no proof saying that Banner made them.

Moving forward: Was Banner quoted last night as saying he was making all future roster moves?

If not, the reporter is lying.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

There was proof out there that Chud and his staff made roster decisions. There is no proof saying that Banner made them.

Moving forward: Was Banner quoted last night as saying he was making all future roster moves?

roster moves aside, Chud and his Coords. have the say so in who dresses, plays, starts. so it's on them as far as producing results on the field.

it's just, i wonder who will be the new HC. we just installed a new offense, we just swapped to the 3-4 D, with mixed results, but definitely hope of improving next season.

i'm worried that they are going to hire a HC who will want to swap that around again. the offense? well, it doesn't matter much, they flat out stunk.

but the D i think is better suited for the 3-4.

which is why i hope they go after lovie smith.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Jerry Glanville.

Yes!!! Now he had character!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

We were told it was a CONSENSUS effort and if no consenus was reached that no move would be made or Banner being the tie breaker. You promoted and defended this idea in every thread that dared to opine differently….and now it was Chud and his staff making the roster decisions alone? How come this sudden enlightenment?

If they said it was a consensus, we just don't know who wanted what more than someone else. The idea of the concept was and is that there's no EGO, that all decisions are a group effort, so all the blame and fame gets distributed equally.

That idea didn't last long, as apparently a single scapegoat was needed for what was told to be a group effort. Either that or "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"…so much for no EGO

Pick your poison...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I think Lovie Smith has only coached cover 2 and not 3-4. I think he should be interviewed either way though.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
And even more, with reports that one of the reasons Chud was fired was because he wouldn't cut a guy, what's the point in giving the coach control if the FO will fire him for not making changes?

you had a good run Hank.
R
Legend
Legend
R
RE: the cutting of Little...

How do you cut a guy that works his arse off but just isn't very good? How does that send a message of accountability?

I know Little sucks but you cut the loafers.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Eric Mangini should be our HC. I'd give him one more shot.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I read reports of Little working hard in camp, but did you watch him in the games?

Yesterday, he was walking on and off the field every freaking time. His route running was extremely lazy. His body language screamed "I Quit!"

And Gordon's was worse. Of course, we can't mention that because Gordon is "better than Jerry Rice" in these parts.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Gruden

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I read reports of Little working hard in camp, but did you watch him in the games?

Yesterday, he was walking on and off the field every freaking time. His route running was extremely lazy. His body language screamed "I Quit!"

And Gordon's was worse. Of course, we can't mention that because Gordon is "better than Jerry Rice" in these parts.

I was listening to the Steelers broadcast because I was driving home during the second half. They were saying there was something wrong with him and one of the commentators said "he pulled the muscle between his ears".

Couldn't have been more fitting.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And even more, with reports that one of the reasons Chud was fired was because he wouldn't cut a guy, what's the point in giving the coach control if the FO will fire him for not making changes?

Yup. You can get roster control all day long from this FO, but if you don't do what they tell you with that roster, they'll just fire you and hire someone else.

1. It smells to me like Norv poisoned the situation over his nepotistic wants - and perhaps helped hose up the offense over it (this offense has declined dramatically in the last few weeks).
2. The rest wreaks of Lombardi & Banner ego.

We are one seriously sick organization.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

Since when did Lovie Smith run the 3-4?? He's famous for the out dated tampa 2 defense which is a 4-3. Bringing in Smith would almost certainly mean a switch back to a 4-3 which would just be hilarious. All of the available guys don't really do anything for me but my top 2 would probably be McDaniels or Whisenhunt just becuase they run the 3-4 and we wouldn't have to switch again. I'm very close to being done with this team. I wish I could send out a mass mailer to all of the season ticket holders and tell them to stop buying tickets and to stop going to the game. This is a joke how often we have to "be patient" with this stupid franchise.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Rish, I get what you're saying about effort and hard work. I bet a lot of guys on this board would work their butts off if they were on the Browns, but it doesn't mean they should be on the roster, let alone the field.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we hire a defensive Coach, I am going to puke.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who's going to be the new HC?

Link Copied to Clipboard