Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Id take a package deal for him and Tebow yesterday....

Say what you want about Tebow but the kid is a winner and finds ways to do so.

Always??? So he has what 3/4 Superbowl Rings then right?

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Do we really need to worry about him having that much input in our draft w Banner & Lombardi in the room?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Do we really need to worry about him having that much input in our draft w Banner & Lombardi in the room?

Well Banner & Lombardi running things instead of McDaniels is a better situation but it's like the Blind leading Hellen Keller.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

[McDaniels] took a garbage team to an 8-8 record.

Taking a team that was 8-8 the year before to an 8-8 record is an accomplishment? Not to mention that they started 6-0 and finished 2-8.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Texas Tech coach, young, offensive minded, groomed johnny manzel who we might end up getting

Just a thought

Last edited by ClayM57; 12/31/13 01:09 PM.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I agree with BpG. If McDaniels comes here, he won't be making personal decisions. I'm on the fence whether or not I want him, but Bill Bellichick and some others did well with second chances. As for McDs love for Tebow, everyone can make a mistake.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think it's just the Tebow reach that has people worried about McD, but wasn't he also the trade partner with us back in the Quinn for Hillis AND PICKS trade?

Did McD actually go and get these players, or was it his GM?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

'Browns pushing to set up interview with Josh McDaniels'

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...partner=ya5nbcs

Patriots give Browns permission to interview Josh McDaniels

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 31, 2013, 1:15 PM EST

It appears the Browns have someone willing to interview with them, the guy everyone assumed would be first on their list all along.

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, the Patriots have given the Browns permission to interview offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels for their vacant head coaching job.

Ostensibly, McDaniels would be interested, given his ties with Browns General Manager Mike Lombardi.

Not everyone seems as eager. Already, Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase has said he doesn’t want to interview for anything until his season is over, and there are indications Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles might not be interested either.

There’s a clean-slate quality to the Browns job, knowing they’re going to go get a quarterback this offseason. Whether that’s a draft pick or some veteran player remains to be seen.

McDaniels took Tim Tebow when he had the chance to do the same thing in Denver, and coincidentally, he’s available.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I would love to see the Browns interview Broncos!OC Peyton Manning.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

'Browns pushing to set up interview with Josh McDaniels'

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...partner=ya5nbcs

Patriots give Browns permission to interview Josh McDaniels

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 31, 2013, 1:15 PM EST

It appears the Browns have someone willing to interview with them, the guy everyone assumed would be first on their list all along.

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, the Patriots have given the Browns permission to interview offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels for their vacant head coaching job.

Ostensibly, McDaniels would be interested, given his ties with Browns General Manager Mike Lombardi.

Not everyone seems as eager. Already, Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase has said he doesn’t want to interview for anything until his season is over, and there are indications Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles might not be interested either.

There’s a clean-slate quality to the Browns job, knowing they’re going to go get a quarterback this offseason. Whether that’s a draft pick or some veteran player remains to be seen.

McDaniels took Tim Tebow when he had the chance to do the same thing in Denver, and coincidentally, he’s available.

right now, i'm praying for a miracle.

if we do indeed get McDaniels, i pray to GOD houston drafts johnny football.

if we do not trade up with st. louis for #2 and grab teddy bridgewater, the draft will already be a failure, imo.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I think they regret not getting their college spread guy. I want Briles but think we get Sumlin.

Report: Kevin Sumlin staying at Texas A&M through at least 2015

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What about Duke head coach David Cutcliffe?

If we want someone who can groom a young Qb …

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Legend
Legend
T
What is Todd Grantham up to these days. The next head coach of the Browns? Why not, I bet they could,

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Espn is reporting obrien is taking the texans job....

web page

<><

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Well it definitely wont be Norv. He basically told haslem where to shove it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/102232...-rob-chudzinski

I really have lost any hope for a real future for this football team. I am sorry I will take what a man like Norv says over a Crook like Haslem any day. Clearly Chud was lied to and set up to fail.

Only the Chin can save us now and I just don't think he really gives a darn. Although it would possibly make him the most celebrated coach in the history of football if he did.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'd LOVE to see them hire Malzahn. It'd take the sting from looking like morons if they hit that homerun.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I really have lost any hope for a real future for this football team. I am sorry I will take what a man like Norv says over a Crook like Haslem any day. Clearly Chud was lied to and set up to fail.

Only the Chin can save us now and I just don't think he really gives a darn. Although it would possibly make him the most celebrated coach in the history of football if he did.

I don't know that he told them to shove it ..... but I do think that he called them on their BS.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Penn State coach Bill O'Brien reached an agreement to become the Houston Texans' new coach, the Houston Chronicle's John McClain reported Tuesday night.

Other media outlets also reported that O'Brien was joining Houston. An introductory press conference is reportedly scheduled for Saturday.

The Texans fired coach Gary Kubiak in early December, and they finished the season with 14 consecutive defeats. After going 2-14, Houston will make the first pick in this year's NFL Draft.

Before coaching the Nittany Lions the past two seasons, O'Brien was an assistant coach with the New England Patriots for six years and the offensive coordinator when they lost to the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI.

He took over in State College in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal and managed to keep the Nittany Lions competitive despite NCAA sanctions.

O'Brien, 44, guided Penn State to 15-9 record. He was selected Big Ten coach of the year after the Nittany Lions finished 8-4 in 2012.

O'Brien interviewed for the Philadelphia Eagles and Cleveland Browns head coaching jobs last offseason. Penn State made it easier for O'Brien to leave for the NFL by reducing the buyout teams would have to pay the school for hiring him from $19.33 million to $6.48 million.

Wade Phillips took over as the Texans' interim coach after Kubiak was fired following the team's 2-11 start. Houston lost all three games under Phillips as part of the longest losing streak in franchise history.

Houston becomes the first NFL team to hire a new coach in the offseason. Five other teams fired their coaches Sunday or Monday, but the Texans had a head start on the search process after relieving Kubiak of his duties in-season.

link

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

Agent to keep an eye on for the next coach...

Schwartz, McDaniels, Franklin, and Malzahn are represented by agent Jimmy Sexton.

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns are very interested in interviewing Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and Vanderbilt coach James Franklin for their head coaching vacancy, according to league sources, and are expected to hire Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator.

Cleveland Browns want to interview Auburn's Malzahn, Vandy's Franklin Jason La Canfora CBS Sports NFL Insider

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

What happened to all the McDaniels and Manziel posts? I'd say they are relevant after tonight, or are no positive posts allowed?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Ummm...what happened to the head coach hiring their coordinators?

WTH?

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
They saw how well it worked out for Jerry Jones.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Tom Brady has a high opinion of Josh McDaniels ...

Tom Brady Calls Josh McDaniels His ‘Best Offensive Coach,’ Wants Him to Stay With Patriots for ‘Rest of My Life’

by Luke Hughes on Mon, Dec 30, 2013
NESN

Tom Brady has enjoyed some of his best NFL seasons under Josh McDaniels. So, it’s no wonder that Brady wants the Patriots offensive coordinator to stay in New England a while longer.

McDaniels, 37, is already rumored to be the top target for the Cleveland Browns and several other teams looking for head coaches this offseason. He drew interest from the Browns, among other teams, last offseason as well, but eventually turned down those opportunities to stick with the Patriots. With McDaniels’ name back on the radar once again, though, Brady is hoping for similar result again this year.

“I have so much respect for him and what he does for me, what he does for our team,” Brady said on WEEI’s Dennis & Callahan on Monday. “He’s just a great coach. He’s got a lot of poise. He’s got a lot of disciple[s]. I hope he doesn’t go anywhere. I’d love for him to coach me the rest of my life. But that’s just the way it is. He’s one of my best friends, and I love having him.”

McDaniels is in his second stint with the Patriots (2001-2008 and 2011-present) after failing to find success during two seasons as head coach of the Denver Broncos and a short stopover as the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams. McDaniels was the Patriots’ offensive coordinator for five seasons (2006-2008 and 2012-2013), and during those years, Brady was arguably at his best.

Brady won one of his two MVP awards and threw 133 of his 359 career touchdowns under McDaniels’ watch. McDaniels was also the offensive coordinator during the Patriots’ historic 2007 season, when Brady threw a then-record 50 touchdown passes. Brady has thrived especially since McDaniels returned as offensive coordinator last season, throwing for more than 9,000 yards, 59 touchdowns and just 19 interceptions over the last two seasons.

“Josh is the best offensive coach I could ever imagine,” Brady said. “He’s so prepared. He’s so confident in what he does. He figures out a way each week to get us in the best position as players to win.”

While becoming a head coach again is likely on McDaniels’ list of career goals, his return to New England at the end of the 2011 season was as much about stability as it was rebuilding his reputation, as the NFL Network’s Albert Breer pointed out on Monday. McDaniels has four young children and is one of the highest-paid assistants in the NFL, so he has incentives to stay put rather than jump at a risky opportunity.

http://nesn.com/2013/12/tom-brady-wants-...ffensive-coach/

D
Legend
Legend
D
I hope Brady gets what he wants lol...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Browns job may be the best of the bunch:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/01/browns-job-may-be-the-best-of-the-bunch/

Quote:

With six NFL head-coaching jobs open, one stands above the rest as the bunch.

And, no, it’s not the Lions.

In Cleveland, the Browns have five Pro Bowlers: left tackle Joe Thomas, center Alex Mack, wide receiver Josh Gordon, tight end Jordan Cameron and cornerback Joe Haden. They have a young roster — currently the second-youngest in the league.

They’ll likely get even younger in 2014, with 10 draft picks. Three of those come in the first 35 selections.

But they also have the ability to get older if they want, with nearly $40 million in cap space on the books for 2014.

The biggest attraction comes from the ability of the next coach to hand pick his next quarterback, subject to whatever the teams holding the first three picks in the draft choose to do (and the wishes of the front office). Given the existing talent, the draft picks, the cap space, and the void at quarterback, the Browns in 2014 may be an even better version of the Chiefs in 2013, who with the addition of Andy Reid and Alex Smith went from 2-14 to 11-5.

There’s one potential caveat, as there always is when things seem to be too good to be true. Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland believes that former coach Rob Chudzinski failed in part because he gave short shrift to quarterback Brian Hoyer, a favorite of G.M. Mike Lombardi who showed a high degree of ability when the third-stringer finally got a chance to play. If the powers-that-be in Cleveland want to roll with Hoyer, the new coach may have his hands tied.

Then again, the new coach may also have the ability to ignore Hoyer or any other players on whom the front office is high, because there’s no way the Browns could pull off a second straight one-and-done head coach. Though the next coach may not make it to a third year, there’s no way he’s getting fired after one.

While these circumstances position the Browns to get anyone they want, the prevailing belief in league circles is that they definitely want Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels — and that they wouldn’t have fired Chudzinski unless they knew they could get McDaniels.

So why all the other names and interviews, if McDaniels is the guy? Apart from ensuring compliance with the Rooney Rule, the Browns need to create the impression that they turned rocks and kicked tires before choosing a previously failed Belichick disciple who may fail a second time — just as Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini have done.

Besides, the Browns need to have a good fallback plan in place (Plan B could be Jim Schwartz). Last year, Chudzinski became the candidate for whom the Browns settled. While the organization deserves credit for admitting quickly that they hired the wrong guy, the decision to fire him represents a clear admission that, last time around, they definitely hired the wrong guy.

If they don’t get it right this time, owner Jimmy Haslam could be firing more people than the coach.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Apparently Jim Schwartz is about to become our DC....Doesn't he run a 4-3?

Cleveland Browns interested in Auburn's Gus Malzahn, Vanderbilt's James Franklin for head coach job; Jim Schwartz as DC, per report

CLEVELAND -- The Browns are very interested in Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and Vanderbilt coach James Franklin for their head coaching vacancy, and are expected to hire fired Lions coach Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator, league sources have told CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora .

All are clients of super-agent Jimmy Sexton, who also represents Browns candidate Josh McDaniels, the offensive coordinator of the New England Patriots whom the Browns have received permission to interview.
Sexton has strong ties to Browns general manager Mike Lombardi dating back to Lombardi's first stint with the Browns in the early 1990s.

The Browns are starting their interviews this week, with Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn up first Wednesday in Seattle.

The success this season of Eagles coach Chip Kelly, whom the Browns pursued heavily last year, apparently has the club hot on the heels of Malzhan this year. Kelly led the high-flying Eagles to the NFC title with a 10-6 record in his first year in the NFL.

Malzahn, 48, will lead his 12-1 Tigers in the BCS Championship Game Monday night against the 13-0 Florida State Seminoles.

After a Cinderella season by Auburn -- one in which the Tigers upset top-ranked Alabama with a 100-yard return of a missed field goal in the Iron Bowl -- Malzahn was named 2013 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, Sporting News Coach of the Year and the SEC's top coach.

Malzahn, who's never coached in the NFL, published a book and instructional video entitled Hurry Up No Huddle: An offensive philosophy, which has been used by some NFL coaches.

In 2010, then offensive coordinator of the top-ranked, Cam Newton-led Tigers, Malzahn earned the Broyles Award for the nation's top assistant.

Franklin, 41, has led Vanderbilt to a bowl game in each of the past three seasons, and a 23-15 mark.

Schwartz, fired Monday by the Lions, began his career with the Browns in 1991 under Lombardi and Belichick. He's maintained close ties with Lombardi ever since.

CEO Joe Banner said Monday that his new coach would have free rein to hire his own staff.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/cleveland_browns_interested_in.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Tackles are tackles.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Here's my thinking, if the head coach have free reign to hire his staff, why is the front office looking at DC and OC?

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Because IMO, Josh McDaniels already been hired. There just going through the formalities at this point. Both Schwartz and MCD have Lombo ties plus I think MCD called his own plays in Denver. We may not even have a play calling OC next year.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree with Turner.. you don't tell a staff that we are building towards one thing, then judge them on a season record that they helped create by letting holes continue to exist.

Turner seems to be spot on. JMO of course

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
This almost sounds like Banner and Haslam and Lombardi are trying their best to out smart themselves....

Why hire a DC or an OC or any coaching staff without having the HC in place. Damn.. is it me or does that seem idiotic

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Norv Turner was spot on in his comments.

The only thing that can save face now is to hire a name coach like the Indians did with Francona. The Browns really need to follow that model.

My fear is that Banner and Lombardi wants a pet "yes" man like McDaniels. The same model that Holmgren had with Shurmer. That way they cam appease their own ego's and have a coach that wil guide their program. They do not want a coach that runs a program.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Browns "very interested" in interviewing Auburn's Gus Malzahn and Vanderbilt's James Franklin

I'm not all that upset by this. I actually like both of these guys. Would they make good NFL coaches? I don't know, but Malzahn instituted the Hurry Up, No Huddle offense. The high energy, fast paced system that's being fused into the NFL in some particulars.

Franklin is only 41 and in his 3 years at Vandy has a 23-15 record in the SEC. He's mostly been a receivers coach too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This almost sounds like Banner and Haslam and Lombardi are trying their best to out smart themselves....

Why hire a DC or an OC or any coaching staff without having the HC in place. Damn.. is it me or does that seem idiotic

Everything is ass-backwards with this FO. Can anyone really envision a spectacular turn around with this group of people and the way they're going about things? And can anyone envision them managing and sustaining any success, should the roulette ball just magically land on our number next year? I've worked for too many dysfunctional organizations in my life time to have magical thinking about this sort of thing. The foundation is screwed up IMHO and anything build on top of it may stand for a bit but will eventually collapse again into a giant heaping mess. It's so obvious it hurts.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with Turner.. you don't tell a staff that we are building towards one thing, then judge them on a season record that they helped create by letting holes continue to exist.

Turner seems to be spot on. JMO of course

I don't think I've ever liked Turner more than after reading that. They're obviously in a bubble and nobody is getting through to them. Someone who is actually in the room and not nicknamed Chud has to call them out.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Seems like they are really staying true to their word.

In the presser, Banner specifically addressed that and said that the new coach would have full rein in choosing his staff.

If I'm a candidate and find out that they are hiring my staff for me, I cancel my interview....

#gmstrong.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
JC

Is the Rooney rule not in effect this year? I know a bit about Quinn's defensive philosophy from watching a few Seattle games this year, I also know that "Quinn" is an Irish name and that Quinn doesn't look anything close to a minority.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...well obviously this was done (Firing) with Lombardi's choice of McDaniel.

He has been a pretty good OC from all that I have read. But here is the thing. Norv Turner is one of the best OCs in the game...but he never excelled as a HC. So far McDaniel failed miserably in his first attempt. Lost the team.

He's young and can learn...others before him have done so. If we did not get the assurance of a done deal - as in well mum's the word cause we got to do the Rooney thing

And its just our first choice and he has to make a decision - Well look no further than Chip Kelly our first choice of last year! He went back to Oregon because of teams like the Browns pursuing him as there was not stability in our franchise...oh but these guys would be different. The only ONLY HC one season and done in our history??? Forrest Greg??? not sure.

He finally did sign with the Eagles reversing his initial decision solely on the fact that the previous Regime had 14 years. Btw another joke is Banner saying that over n over again like it was his doing and his MANTRA that he really is going to bring in stability...UHHH EXCUSE ME - YOU JUST FIRED THE GUY YOU HIRED....YOOOOUUUU HIRED. But again us fans are a bunch of dummies we won't see through the lies. He actually in that press conference tried to pass himself off as the KING OF STABILITY n CONTINUITY based on Reid's 14 seasons.

OH n get this...Andy Reid's 1st season he was 5-11 and finished 5th (last) in the NFC East! If I recolliect they had the #2 pick on got the best QB in the draft McNabb...

So we are going to Reboot...and HOPE our first choice of a HC thinks we will provide enough Stability to say yes. Cause whatever Stability we lacked last season its worse now.

The only one I would get excited about would be Gruden. He would keep the D as is. And bring in his NFL version of the college spread similar to what we are seeing from Kelly.

But he already looked at the STABILITY and just went yeah otay!

If McDaniels says no then what? Obrien...we already know he won't come here due to the stability or lack of!

Another Reboot from the self proclaimed - We get it about Continuity and this franchise needs Stability the most... actions says one thing words another.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over n over again expecting a different result!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My fear is that Banner and Lombardi wants a pet "yes" man like McDaniels.

How do you know if Josh is going to be a yes man ? Has McDaniels admitted to being a yes man ? I guess i just don't know this

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
People that are a yes man dont claim themselves of being one. Why would they?

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who's going to be the new HC?

Link Copied to Clipboard