Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas...oncos-adam-gase

Browns coaching update: First request was to Broncos' Adam Gase

Jason La Canfora
CBS Sports NFL Insider
January 05, 2014 09:31 AM
Adam Gase has the trust of Broncos QB Peyton Manning. (USATSI)

Adam Gase has the trust of Broncos QB Peyton Manning. (USATSI)

For more news and notes from Jason La Canfora, tune into The NFL Today Sunday at noon ET on CBS.

The Browns surprised many in the NFL by firing coach Rob Chudzinski last week after just one season on the job, and, their immediate move upon letting him go was to reach out to Adam Gase, Denver’s offensive coordinator, according to sources. Browns team president Joe Banner has referenced several times his hope of finding the next Andy Reid -- who he long worked with in Philadelphia -- and Gase was at the top of the Browns’ wish list, sources said.

However, as we reported earlier, despite Gase expecting to be a hot name for coaching jobs, he prized the chance to continue working with Peyton Manning for another season, even with all they accomplished in 2013, and was likely to wait until 2015 to explore head coaching jobs. Gase, indeed, decided to focus on the playoff run with the Broncos and not explore any head coaching interviews, if at all, until after his season is complete -- which could run into next month. The Browns also had Patriots coordinator Josh McDaniels on a short list, and his interview was conducted on Saturday, while several league sources said the Browns have also done research on Vanderbilt’s James Franklin and Auburn’s Gus Malzahn, and could well end up hiring one of them.

Team sources believe it will be difficult to get Malzahn out of Auburn, in particular, and he is coaching for a national championship this week. Franklin, however, is ready to make a move up if possible, and he did spend time in the NFL on the Eagles staff as an intern, back when Banner was team president there. Franklin was also a position coach, for one year, with Green Bay, coaching wide receivers (Reid was hired to coach the Eagles by Banner back when he was an unknown assistant with Green Bay).

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

There was an article with a misleading title out there.

He didn't specifically turn down the Browns. He turned down all interviews until after the Broncos are out of the playoffs.

OK,, Thanks

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

It would seem to me that you start your search for a NFL head coach with candidates that: have been successful NFL head coaches. Guys like Lovie Smith, Fox going to Denver, Reid going to KC.

What makes McDaniels a candidate other than his existing relationship with Lombardi? Enough said. I answered my own question.

Romeo, Weiss, Mangini, McDaniels what is wrong with this picture?

Please explain how Belichick Lite will work?

How are college coaches like the Auburn guy and Stoops considered upgrades over Chud? Does not coaching in the NFL somehow make one a better candidate than guys who have coached in the NFL?

It will make for good TV when Haslam and Banner introduce the new head coach. Lombardi is obviously under a gag order.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's correct. It was another lame attempt to bash the Browns by the local media.

You may be right Vers but frankly, the FO and ownership of the Browns deserves to be bashed.. Big time.

Hire a HC, tell him we're building for the future, have him hire a staff, tell them we are building for the future.

Then when things don't go as desired(for a bunch of reasons, some that land squarely on the shoulders of the GM and CEO) Puff, all of the statements about building for the future and for the long term and for consistency go out the window and it's "reload" time again.

To me, Banner and Haslam clearly lied to the coach and his staff.. they didn't mean it, they flat out lied. I can't say what Lombardi did because he's still in hiding.

The next coach, if supported the same way Chud and his staff were, will fail and we'll be right back here next year. The difference being, NO WAY the Fans sit still for another coaching change so quickly, so they'll HAVE to stick with the next coach, no matter how he does.

I want to be wrong. I want the next coach to take us to the promised land. I really do. But I don't know if it's possible with these guys leading the charge.

I don't want to go so far as to call them the Three Stooges, not because I don't think they deserve the title, but because I don't want to be an idiot and do the Jim Rome kinda things and start changing peoples names...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C....

I know this is not likely to happen... Just a funny thought I had...

What if no one was willing to come here and be the HC... The FO can't get no one..

Could the FO go back to Chud and say " your're coming back to be HC "....

Yes they fired him... but is he still obligated to the contract ? Do to the money he's receiving I just wasn't sure....Could they bring him back ?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C....

What if no one was willing to come here and be the HC... The FO can't get no one..

Yes they fired him... but is he still obligated to the contract ? Do to the money he's receiving I just wasn't sure....Could they bring him back ?

I suppose that they could ....... but it would never happen. There will be several coaches who want to be a head coach no matter what, so there will always be candidates.

As to your final question ...... they fired him. That terminates his contract. If they, somehow, decided to bring him back, they would have to sign him to a new deal.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks YTown.... wasn't sure...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

...I don't want to be an idiot and do the Jim Rome kinda things and start changing peoples names...

Yeah, but Rome changing Rosie O'Donnel's name to Rosie O'Doughnut was classic.

Anti FO posts will continue for two reasons, they did an epic job of fail and, it's the last thing that has been done to this point.

Once they hire a coach and head into FA and on to the draft things should settle down. There will be plenty of others to bash on then. Of course, since all of it starts with the FO they'll still get their share until we start winning.

They earned the disgrace. To remove it they need to build a winner. It's still possible. We couldn't be in a better scenario other than being a national laughing stock of ineptitude. But all the stars are aligned with Cap Money and Draft Picks to make a successful impact to this team. Now it's up to them to get it done. That will eliminate the FO bashing.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I would have been happy if they started off interviewing Lovie. I think he's a good coach who got a raw deal, but he had his sights set on Tampa. He's creating a pretty great staff too.

As for McDaniels, not too much to get worked up about right now, for me. If they hire him, it does seem rather short sided and stupid, but I think there are legitimate interests in Malzahn, Franklin and Gase. And I think, should those three all turn them down *two I think would, no way Franklin would turn them down though*, they'd fall back to McDaniels.

JMO.

you had a good run Hank.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Whatever they do I hope they do it sooner rather than later. The sooner they hire a coach the more quality, experienced coordinators and assistants will be available. If they wait too long they could run into the problem RAC had when he was hired after the Superbowl, all the good coordinators and assistants already had jobs so he had to settle for the second and third tier of coaching staff candidates.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Whatever they do I hope they do it sooner rather than later. The sooner they hire a coach the more quality, experienced coordinators and assistants will be available. If they wait too long they could run into the problem RAC had when he was hired after the Superbowl, all the good coordinators and assistants already had jobs so he had to settle for the second and third tier of coaching staff candidates.

They can always have a "handshake" deal and the coach can "hire" his staff if they want. The problem is that Gase won't even interview until his team is out, and seeing as how I think he's the guy the Browns want, they are going to have to wait and lose out on those coordinators.

Seems like a bad idea to me.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree, but you never know who is on the list. It could be until after the SuperBowl before we hire a coach.

The draft not being until may is a good thing for us this year. It will give the new coach a bit more time to study the team before he starts studying prospects.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
That's a great point about waiting too long. While I don't want them to rush, they really do limit themselves if they wait until or after the Super Bowl.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C....

I don't think it's even remotely likely they can't get someone to take the job. Not sure if the person they get is the one anyone, including them, actually want.

As for Chud and his staff, I'd think there is no way in hell he wants to come back unless Banner and perhaps Lombardi are gone. (again, don't know about lombardi cause he's in hiding)

Hey, money don't mean a thing to Chud, he's owed something like 9 million over the next couple of years. so he's set.

Gotta admit however, it would be funny to see Banner swinging from the same rope he put Chud out there on....LOL What a neat Visual.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
These Guys Have Giant Egos And All Think They Can Turn This Franchise Around.

When push Comes To Shove This Is A Pretty Good Gig. Fans, Draft Picks, Money For FA And A Front Office Who Will Most Likely Give You Time So They Don't Look Incompetent...Again

Legend
Legend
Quote:

These Guys Have Giant Egos And All Think They Can Turn This Franchise Around.

When push Comes To Shove This Is A Pretty Good Gig. Fans, Draft Picks, Money For FA And A Front Office Who Will Most Likely Give You Time So They Don't Look Incompetent...Again

That certainly is another way of looking at it..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
The franklin guy...the vanderbelt coach.....i dont know why the browns are even trying for him....if he doesnt stay in college football he will take the redskins job i think.....i cant imagine any coach wanting to come here not named josh Mcdainels......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
High Risk, High Reward!
The Coach Who returns Us To Relevancy Will Be Crowned King Of Cleveland.

It Just May Be Mcdaniels. Who knows.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

High Risk, High Reward!
The Coach Who returns Us To Relevancy Will Be Crowned King Of Cleveland.

It Just May Be Mcdaniels. Who knows.

Oh hell yeah,, King of Cleveland it is. As for McDaniels, sure it could be him, but I see nothing that says it's likely...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At The Moment Im Not Seeing Anyone To Be Any More Likely Than The Next. My Guess Was As Fast As They Moved To Fire Chud A Hiring Would as Quickly Follow. Im Afraid This Crew Is Lost In The Wilderness...

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

At The Moment Im Not Seeing Anyone To Be Any More Likely Than The Next. My Guess Was As Fast As They Moved To Fire Chud A Hiring Would as Quickly Follow. Im Afraid This Crew Is Lost In The Wilderness...

Joe banner never came out of the wilderness........his only argument he ever has is taking credit for what andy reid and tom heckerrt built in philly....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Interesting...

Browns | Expected to talk with Jay Gruden

Sun, 05 Jan 2014 08:26:23 -0800

The Cleveland Browns are expected to interview Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden for their head coaching position.

Source: CBSSports.com - Jason La Canfora

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

The Cleveland Browns are expected to interview Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden for their head coaching position.

Looks like they won't have to wait long for that.....

#gmstrong.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Not sure how I feel about that other than the positive that maybe things didn't go too good with McDaniels. All is quiet on that front.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The franklin guy...the vanderbelt coach.....i dont know why the browns are even trying for him....if he doesnt stay in college football he will take the redskins job i think.....i cant imagine any coach wanting to come here not named josh Mcdainels......

Why would he want the Redskins job?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Why would he want the Redskins job?

No doubt.....I don't think the Browns situation is all that desirable, but considering the Skins are saddled with no 1st round picks, very little cap flexibility, and a certified nut for an owner in Snyder I have no idea why on earth anyone would want to come there.

RG3 is an incredible talent, and if he can get healthy for next year they will be much better. However, considering the Skins have no resources to get a competent OL to protect him the chances of him being re-injured are not exactly nil.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think the Browns job is very desirable.

A....we have a boat of of picks.

B...the coach can hand pick his QB.

C...No way we dump the next coach after a year, and taking circumtance in to account, can probably sqeeze out a extra year on the contract.

It's as good a job as is available. Maybe the best job on the market.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Interesting...

Oh, dear Lord, no.

::smh::

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
They're going to give the appearance of leaving no stone unturned.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Interesting...

I like Jay Gruden as a head coach candidate. That means that we either won't hire him, or will fire him within a year. lol I also like Franklin from what I know of him. I want no part of McDaniels, but I do see an offensive minded coach as likely to be the top choice again this time around. I do like Bowles. I have thought highly of him as a future head coach since his time here in Cleveland. I just can't see us going with a conservative, defensive oriented head coach though.

Last time around I liked Chud, but my favorite before his name entered the picture was Bruce Arians. Evidently Arians was too old for this crew. (like it makes a difference if you fire your hand picked head coach after a yea anyway) Arians went 10-5 in a division that includes Seattle and San Francisco. He is one hell of a coach, and I still kinda with we would have hired him. The evidence of what kind of coach he would be was already there, based on th job he did in Indy when Chuck Pagano was sidelined. I still cannot believe that we didn't even talk to him. of course, this lot was in "the next head coach will be here to 10+ years" mode at the time, and Arians is an older coach. Still, he turned around a pretty bad Cardinals team, a team that went 5-11, 8-8, and 5-11 the 3 years prior to his arrival, in no time flat. He also managed this with what most of us would consider a fairly poor QB.

Well .... I think that either things more rapidly at this point ....... or the front office wants to wait for McDaniels. I would much, much prefer a (public) final decision while the Pats are still in the playoff picture, because that would mean no McDaniels.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They Once Again Will Suffer Analysis Paralysis And End Up Having To Choose From The Scrap Heap.

if mcD Is The Man I'd Like To Hear From Him How He's Changed. What He's Learned And How Cleveland Would Be Different Than Denver. I Have A Tough Time Believing He's A Jerk When His Father Is One Heck Of A Man.

And, What Has Happened To The Story Of Schwartz Being The DC even Before The HC is Found?

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/05/14 07:04 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The thought of Gruden (either one) gives me shivers, and not in a good way.

For the record, I want Franklin as my number one choice and Bowles as #2 out of the ones listed as potential candidates - Zimmer is the overall #1 but we aren't even looking at him.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You actually this Banner and Lombardi are going to let a coach pick the QB that will define their tenure here..?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

You actually <think that> Banner and Lombardi are going to let a coach pick the QB that will define their tenure here..?

I don't think that they will. Nor do I think that they should. The GM and personnel people should actually be making those decisions. If Banner wants to have input, as president, he probably should have something to say and even trump the GM and personnel people.

It's the coach's job to get the pieces given to him working together.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Providing They're all In Sync And Draf For Their Coaches System....

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

They're going to give the appearance of leaving no stone unturned.

The appearance? LOL..............you guys slay me.

Here is another good one:

Quote:

Joe banner never came out of the wilderness........his only argument he ever has is taking credit for what andy reid and tom heckerrt built in philly....

You guys make crap up and no one---other than me---call you on it. Heckert was a lackey in Philly. Get real.

You guys are spewing hate w/out a lot of facts. One year. One mistake. You freaking ignored years and years and years of mistakes and didn't bat an eye. Now, these guys make one questionable move and they are the anti-Christ. Pffftttttttttttt.

This so reminds me of the Belichick era in Cleveland. It's amazing how often the local media and the fan base is wrong here.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Providing They're all In Sync And Draft For Their Coaches System....

It seems to me that the players are selected and it's the coaches job to get them to play.

If the player doesn't seem to 'fit' a coach's system, it's up to the coach to devise ways to utilize the talents of the players that he does have, without any regard to the coach's system.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Agreed. The level of conspiracy thinking on this board is unreal. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I just can't believe how many people actually believe that the entire search for a new coach is a sham.

Wake up, people. The world doesn't work that way.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey.............is Franklin no longer on our list? I saw his name in connection w/Tenn while watching the games today. His name wasn't listed w/us. Stoops and McDaniels were the only two guys I saw linked to Cleveland.

I like Franklin. What's the latest for those in the know?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
According to Cleveland.com we have requested an interview with him. I also read a report that Haslem and Co. will be at the BCS game to speak with Gus. I'm iffy on Gus (much like I was with Kelly so TTFWIW) but love Franklin....with BOB gone to H-town he is my favorite.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who's going to be the new HC?

Link Copied to Clipboard